Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Iteh, Kaierian Training  (Read 5352 times)
Uragel

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 January 2003, 20:19:00 »

+'ed more history

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 January 2003, 23:03:00 »

Isn't Bagua the one Jet Li used in "The One", the circle one? I would love to learn that one.....

Brownie Expert

haavin

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 January 2003, 16:55:00 »

Yes it is the one that he used in the one.  

The Good Jet-Li used Bagua and the Bad Jet-Li used Hsing-Yi.

Check out the character that I have just started building on the roleplaying boards  

The Juilong Iteh is me trying to incorporate Bagua into a character.

- Juilong Iteh handfighting Style
- Eight energies,  Heaven, Water, Mountain, Dragon, Wind, Fire, Earth,Forest/Marsh
- Stepping Methods, Horse, bow, lying, scissors, swing, hook, cross,
- Plum Flower Training
- Nine Palaces training
- Palms, Upholding, Covering, Standing, embracing, splitting, lifting, picking, twisting,
- Stances Center, Empty, Bow, Horse, Together, single, lying, changing
- Patterns: Forward, inward, outward, backward, leaping, sideways, stealing, squatting
-Sets: Single Change, Double Change, Advantage, Behind the Body, Overturning Drilling Body, Wavy Body, Back Inserting
Trained in the use of Crescent Knives, Shortsword, and Bow

Edited by: haavin at: 1/14/03 10:58:59 pm
Tolar Jharn

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 January 2003, 17:58:00 »

Very Good. I like that style myself. If I can convince the Kaerian people, I would like to create Shing-Yi and Bagua as fighting styles.

T"OLAR J"HARN

jharn@softhome.net

Love What you do!!!
 The sooner you do, The better it gets.

Edited by: Tolar Jharn  at: 1/15/03 12:06:47 am
Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 January 2003, 00:43:00 »

He's back!!!!

Brownie Expert

Uragel

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 January 2003, 01:54:00 »

Quote:
Very Good. I like that style myself. If I can convince the Kaerian people, I would like to create Shing-Yi and Bagua as fighting styles.

How do you mean..? Could you go in to more detail before 'yes / no' it please - This is in relation to your post quoted, and the message that you send me

Tolar Jharn

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 January 2003, 16:24:00 »

As I read the overview of the Iteh, it looks alot like basic martial arts, and gymnastics.  "Physical exercises designed to develop and display strength, balance, and agility" really correspond to Chi-Kung in RL, which are the basic exercise for martial arts, although health and longevity is included in most descriptions of Chi-gong/Chi-Kong/Chi-kung.......

The description of the Iteh accurately describes Tai-Chi and Bagua, especially in the graceful, discipline departments, and while they have weapons, weapons are secondary to these martial arts.  Both of these arts have high requirements in the Body Mechanics departments so taking advantage of the strengths and weakness of opponents are actually apart of thier training,  San Shou is the name of the training that developes proficiency in this area.

Both of these arts use Chi which is an internal energy, life-force, etc and use Dim-Mak which is striking vital organs in combat.   Bagua is especially known for its evasiveness,  Tai-chi for its yeilding nature and Hsing-Yi for its effectiveness.  All of them have healing properties.

In santharia, it looks like one or two of them can be incorporated to become an advanced version of the Iteh.  Allowing for "Monk" or martial arts type caracters found in other RPG systems.  Especially 3ed/ Wizards of the Coast.

In reality,  I am not all that sure how to make it all fit in but it is an idea that I would like to explore.  I want to be able to create an advanced version of the Iteh and then email it to you.  My problem is that chi is not known in Santharia and which puts somewhat of a damper on things, neither is the Dim-Mak so I would have to workout those things first.    I do not know how un-armed combat is going to be handled but or martial arts abilities should be handled but it can be tied to the Kaerian ranking system.  

Shameless Plug  

Haavin mentions Juilong which is a form of Bagua that is taught internationally by John Painter from Texas,  and it is his version of Nine-Dragon Bagua.  Although some of the stuff haavin mentions in his description is knew to me.  

Anyone that is taking Bagua, Tai-Chi, Hsing-Yi, should take one of his classes, you will learn more in a weekend that many people will learn in 10 years.
end of Shameless Plug  

T"OLAR J"HARN

jharn@softhome.net

Love What you do!!! The sooner you do, The better it gets.

Edited by: Tolar Jharn  at: 1/15/03 10:58:30 pm
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 17 January 2003, 14:55:00 »

I don't really know much about Chinese/Japanese fighting styles, but I assume they all are mainly based on something you'd call "internal energy, life-force" as T'olar mentioned. We had a similar discussion with Theo quite a while ago as he planned a concept of "energy-warriors", which overdid the initial idea in some points. These would have resulted eventually in a kind of magical fighters, which would have been very problematic in Santharia.

However, I see that the Iteh martian arts are much more something in the Chi-gong/Chi-Kong/Chi-kung direction, meaning: establishing an equilibrum between body and soul and thus using the prepared body/mind in battle, so that no magical super-heroes result from this, but just fighters who now how to use this "energy" properly to their advantage.

We use some sort of principle here in Santharia called the Cár'áll. In fact this is a very basic term, which elves roughly translate into "the magical aura of things" or simply the "aura" of something (be it a person or an object). I propose that the Cár'áll is more or less the substance, and that tensions and shifts between the Cárálls can be interpreted as the Xeuá (linking of energies) and Ecuá as the seperating of these energies. The existing entries here are still a bit rough, but I guess the general system here comes pretty close to what we would need, as the states of Ahm ("responding") and Soór ("speaking") are more or less what you could see as Yin/Yang.

The Cár'áll/Xeuá/Ecuá concept is mainly an elven interpretation of all things living, and thus very general (and also has elven terminology, as they see it as the "natural" way). We used all this as well in order to design Magic around it. I'd - roughly - say that our magic development is the spiritual side of this concept, while the physical side could be part of the Iteh training, with a similar philosophy in the background as Chi-gong/Chi-Kong/Chi-kung probably have in our world. - What do you think?

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 January 2003, 23:02:00 »

I think that it would be easier to call it "qi gong" according to standard pinyin instead of all the mangalings chi/king/khi kong/whatever.

It sounds like a plan to me.

Brownie Expert

Tolar Jharn

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 January 2003, 18:12:00 »

I agree,  I think that to create a full fledge Martial Arts System, may require more than what first apperars.  It may require more thought and effort to keep it balance and from being abused.

Qi-Gong, is fine, I think that may have to do.

T"OLAR J"HARN

jharn@softhome.net

Uragel

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18 January 2003, 19:17:00 »

*kicks stupid computer* :x

OK - I'm slightly lost as to what Bagua is, and how you want that and Iteh to relate - at the present moment in time this is really the only thread that i get time to check, anything new to the site that doesnt relate directly to the tethinrhim i'm out  of date with  >D

Still trying to find time to go and research the info for this.

Dasson, if your checking this at all, would you want to help me some, since you already have knowledge of this?

Fox
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18 January 2003, 21:24:00 »

Well, this Tolar fellow seems to have much more knowledge than me! :p

I can try and help... but I'm not sure how much... :

Santharian Master of Magic. Contact at dasson@santharia.com
The Santharian Dream - Create the Dream. Live the Dream.

Tolar Jharn

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22 January 2003, 15:16:00 »

I think that the idea is sound but the implementation will need some work.  It seems that to do a martial art will require a combination of Warrior/Magic abilities and may be over powering. At least that is what I gathered from all of the push-back.

Qi-Gong may work but it would mostly be a reputation kind of things.  For example,  a warrior may specialize in a certain kind of attack, the kind of thing that you would see in many of the Video Games.    Most of the characters have a few special attacks that they can use that other fighters may not have.  

But mostly, as far as I can see right now, it is an RP thing.  

Perhaps, if Uragel thinks that it would be a good idea, I can write something up for it, and send it to her,  It would be similar to creating different fighting styles.

T"OLAR J"HARN

jharn@softhome.net

Edited by: Tolar Jharn  at: 1/21/03 9:23:44 pm
Uragel

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 January 2003, 06:41:00 »

sure that'd be good - thanks

if you use uragel@santharia.com that SHOULD send it to my optushome account...

Thanks guys :D  

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]