Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: First Plague  (Read 1062 times)
Xarl
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 09 February 2003, 00:11:00 »

I mentioned it, didn't I?

Overview:
The First Plague, Grass Death, or Sickle's Touch, by whichever name, is the nigh-unstoppable disease that the High Demon Lorkuloth brings into the world with him whenever he is summoned. Though the disease's touch is indeed terrible, Lorkuloth always leaves one escape route for his victims, although it is almost never found until it is too late.

-Victims:
Any and all animals are vulnerable to this disease, from fleas to humans to elves to dragons. Some grains can be tainted by the plague, but do not die from it, only transmit it.

-Symptoms/Effects:
As an anonymous Nehtorian cleric was recorded as saying bitterly during one outbreak, "Anything He damn well pleases." Lorkuloth seems to delight in shifting the symptoms so as to confuse healers, but some are predominant. In the first stage, frequent, splitting headaches and a dulling of the senses are always present, as is the foul stench of the afflicted's breath. The second stage is marked by patches of skin on the arms and chest turning green and rotting at an advanced pace. The last stage is what gave it the name of the Grass Death; the green patches begin to spread, and send out green tendrils. By then, the victim is completely incapable of reason, and will be given to crazed fits of action. And in the wake of the green tendrils, nothing but rapidly decaying flesh and a painful death is left behind.

-Cure/Prevention: A cure is always incredibly hard to find. What stops one outbreak is useless against the next. One time, the secret to stopping it in someone already showing the signs was simply to eat a Wizardleaf, and that would kill the infection. Another time, the secret was to have second-stage victims spend an hour every day facing the sun. Yet another time, the cure was to kill the person who gave it to you and eat of their flesh once the third stage was well underway; that was one of the worst outbreaks.
There remains one way to stop the plague if all else fails; fire. Like its hosts, the plague cannot survive cremation, and in extreme cases it has become nessecary to set entire housing districts to the flame.

-Vector/Cause: There are two degrees of cause: Direct, and indirect. Direct cause is the touch of Lorkuloth Himself, which immediately turns the touched into a carrier, who in turn can spread the plague indirectly through their breath. The breath is the chief method of the plague's spreading; any who breathe the breath of a carrier are infected inside of a minute. However, touching plague-rotted flesh, eating tainted grain, and close contact of most kinds with the afflicted are also ways to catch it indirectly.

-Endemic: Thankfully, there is no place that the First Plague is endemic; were there such a place, it would have been reduced to the single largest pile of ash of Sorren long ago.

-History/Epidemics:
The below are the major times the First Plague has appeared on the world's scene; more are likely to have occured, but no survivors ever told of them.

-c.a. War of the Chosen: Lorkuloth, as well as most of his brethren, is summoned as part of the massive wars between the Chosen; this is thought of as possibly the only time Lorkuloth did any good, as he destroyed both friend and foe in equal number with this plague, whose only cure was to have one of the Chosen attend to a victim. Needless to say, thousands died, with their last words cursing their masters.

-1489 b.S: Lorkuloth is summoned by Avath'cao to wreak havoc on her enemies, and his plague is all too happy to oblige. This plague, whose symptoms included skin turning pure black and insanity, was tied to the she-elf. When she died, the plague and the demon went with her.

-730 b.S: As his last act, Qishim Ludorrah, Archmagus of the Fall, summons Lorkuloth to have vengeance on the Dark Elves who had destroyed Ximax. The plague was beginning to leave Ximax when the Volkek-Oshra purge the city with a massive firestorm, purging Lorkuloth with it.

40 b.S: (Or whenever.) At the Battle of Osthemangar, Lorkuloth is among the Portal's elite guard, along with some of his fellow High Demons. There, he unleashes his strongest plague to date, which killed within seconds of its touch. In the end, he was only brought down by a concentrated effort by an elite group of war-magi and clerics, who paid for their victory with their lives.

Xarl Bluestride, Archmage of the White Tower, Elder of the Magic Forum, Master of RP Sorcery and generally cool guy. All requests are to be written on the back of a ten-dollar bill (or equivelant thereof) placed on a dead ferret, and tossed in the sewer system.
Xarl Bluestride
Owner of the longest pure text sig in Santharia.
Xarlian Quote Of The Moment
When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons. And make super-lemons.
No Longer Master of the Magic Forum, but still basically dominate the place. All bribes to xarl@santharia.com

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2003, 14:17:00 »

You still alive somewhere, Xarl? - Question: Is there any specific reason why the illness is called "First Plague"? I guess this is a very unusual name, and a different name primary name would suit the entry much better, don't you think?

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Xarl
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2003, 22:37:00 »

Theoretically, yes, I'm alive. Sorry... administrative nightmare over at IOE.

Anyway, First Plague doesn't exactly fit, does it. Hmm...

Rotting Sickness? Creeping Death?

Xarl Bluestride, Archmage of the White Tower, Elder of the Magic Forum, Master of RP Sorcery and generally cool guy. All requests are to be written on the back of a ten-dollar bill (or equivelant thereof) placed on a dead ferret, and tossed in the sewer system.
Xarl Bluestride
Owner of the longest pure text sig in Santharia.
Xarlian Quote Of The Moment
When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons. And make super-lemons.
No Longer Master of the Magic Forum, but still basically dominate the place. All bribes to xarl@santharia.com

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 March 2003, 01:15:00 »

"The Xarl Plague"

::giggles and scurries out::

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 18 March 2003, 17:51:00 »

BTW, Xarl: I don't see the Demon Lord Lorkuloth developed yet... - Any chance to get him done sometime? (It's "Demon Lord" in the meantime BTW, not "High Demon".)

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1093
Latest: sh4l0nda12
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 580
Online Ever: 580
(Today at 09:39:18)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 263
Total: 263

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)