Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Nagarita(Completed)  (Read 4681 times)
DarkMorpher

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23 August 2003, 13:02:00 »

Thats exactly it.  Thank you.

But as for this weapon, I am gonna start making descriptions for many more weapons, so once I get to the polerarms/staffs section, this weapon will make its return.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 23 August 2003, 14:45:00 »

Still the sentence "The user usually finds about this weapon through someone traveling through there home and they just decide to train themselves with it, or they just come up with it in there head, thinking they made it up, but really it is used in other places." doesn't make much sense...

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Arancaytar Ilyaran

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 23 August 2003, 15:43:00 »

What bugs me about this entry is that it's so... brief. Brief and vague.:

Those are the only words I can find for expressing it. You say only little about its history and appearance, and where you do give information it's made without any specific claim. Okay, the staff can be made of any kind of material ranging from wood, bone and rock to metal. Okay, there can be two blades, one blade, or one blade and a counterweight on the weapon. Okay, length varies. But do you really need this about it having no specific culture attached to it?

My guess is that you're too nervous to really claim anything specific, and rather give only vague info because you feel you don't know enough about the world (just a guess;) ); don't worry, if you say anything wrong someone will tell you in a friendly way, and you can correct it. At least give some specific info.:D

(PS: Just a hint concerning textual style - this is supposed to be an archaic compendium, written in an era resembling our middle ages. While you certainly should not write in Middle English - we do want people to understand it, right? - it could be a little more formal. For example, you might consider dropping all the contractions - isn't, hasn't etc. - and writing them out instead. You would not believe how much it adds to a text)

Arancaytar Ilyaran

"When you start quoting yourself, it's a sure sign of senility" Arancaytar Ilyaran

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 August 2003, 15:50:00 »

I think some tribe or something should have such a weapon. Maybe one of the Kasumarii sects?

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Arancaytar Ilyaran

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 23 August 2003, 15:59:00 »

I thought Kasumarii were much too subtle and stealthy to prefer such a large weapon. But then it's easily concealed (Maybe the blade could be fxed so it snaps out of the staff when needed?)

I understand why it's hard to attach a culture here, it fits best for some wandering bard or something, an unusually shaped weapon easily carried and always at hand, being probably also used as a walking stick. And wanderers are rarely from any specific tribe. But how about Shendars? Talia?;)  

Arancaytar Ilyaran

"When you start quoting yourself, it's a sure sign of senility" Arancaytar Ilyaran

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 August 2003, 16:07:00 »

We also have our Aeruillin tribes..

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23 August 2003, 23:12:00 »

I agree, it's hard to figure out who uses such a weapon.  Even in ancient China(and probably Japan too), it doesn't seem to be a very popular weapon.  Of course, this observation is based on what I see in television dramas and such, and thus might not be very accurate.  Perhaps a desert tribe would work best.  

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 24 August 2003, 01:39:00 »

One should never forget. Weapons are rarely designed for wanderers but for warriors, wars and campaigns. The Romans entrenched their helmets during a campaign against the Persians because the Persians used sabres that smashed through helmets. Since then legionaire helmets had an extra metal circlet over the forehead to prevent that.

This weapon does not sound as if it would be needed by any tribe which has more European elements because they use the vast variety of these weapon types.
Maybe a more clannish nation who has not an as sophisticated army would have such a weapon as it surely sounds cheap and a knight in heavy armor, steel shield, horse and lance won't have trouble buying a decent sword with it. Warriors however usually have to get their gear themselves and thus would have far less money to spend.

I somehow could see the Eyelians originally use these weapons in ancient times and still preserved it though today it might be morer a ceremonial weapon for parades or used by city guards.

Some proposals. I'm also all for making the entry more tight.

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
Weakness is strength. Hope is life.

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 August 2003, 01:42:00 »

And change the name. It is currently far too close to the original one so it would be better to use the original one then to prevent confusion! Look for a name that expresses what you want the weapon to be like.

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
Weakness is strength. Hope is life.

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 25 August 2003, 12:09:00 »

One thing that must be kept in mind regarding Aeruillin is that in some places it's hot... very hot... very very hot... As in most desert tribes they use blades that look like scimittars, since they are lighter and faster. plus, one does not dress in full mail in a climate where it is 90% 50C or up (that is in the day of course), so light weapons are enough to cut through the leather armor most desert warriors wear. the edge of the weapon is curved, so maybe it could be used for an Aeruillin tribe (the more curved the blade, the wider the slicing part is... even less effort to kill people), yet i think it too large and heavy to be used in a desert.

yet these are simply my ideas. better talk to/with amuwen and artemis

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 September 2003, 02:05:00 »

Perhaps it can be called a glaive?  Here's the definition of 'glaive' from Dictionary.com
Quote:
Glaive, n. [F. glaive, L. gladius; prob. akin to E. claymore. Cf. Gladiator.] 1. A weapon formerly used, consisting of a large blade fixed on the end of a pole, whose edge was on the outside curve; also, a light lance with a long sharp-pointed head. --Wilhelm.

2. A sword; -- used poetically and loosely.

The glaive which he did wield. --Spenser.

The first seems to fit what we have here.  

Fox
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 September 2003, 22:35:00 »

*blinks* Nagarita? This be a naginata. :)

Blade on end is not like a falchion, I can tell you that much. Falchions are broad, and have a flat topern side. The blades on naginatas are more like a shorter, broader, more curved version of a katana. Like so....

Anyways, these things are, actually, really good weapons, and were very popular back in the 1000s of our world; they were often carried by not only warriors, but 'clerics' and suchlike priests as well, and even woman used them to train in harmony, order, chastity, and moderation. They are very similar to the many varieties of polearms, though as you would expect it's more of an artsy type of war style than the brash European polearm way. And IMO more effective. Its look and style are more similar to the Hyup do (what Mina showed) in China and the Zanbatou in Korea than the halberds, bardiches, and the like in Europe.

How this weapon relates to Santharia... well, if you go strictly by direct oriental similarities, then it would be a weapon for the Kasumarii, likely used by the Darkpriest and Greendeath sects, possibly the Echilliani as well.

Quote:
Maybe a more clannish nation who has not an as sophisticated army would have such a weapon as it surely sounds cheap and a knight in heavy armor, steel shield, horse and lance won't have trouble buying a decent sword with it. Warriors however usually have to get their gear themselves and thus would have far less money to spend.

Oh please, Koldar. Medieval Japan, China, and Korea were far more sophisticated than Europe! ;)  Naginata is to Halberd as Katana is to Long Sword. No competition. Samurai vs Knight... samurai win. :)

Santharian Master of Magic. Contact at dasson@santharia.com
The Santharian Dream - Create the Dream. Live the Dream.

Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17 September 2003, 04:43:00 »

Quote:
Samurai vs Knight... samurai win.

Probably not.  Metal armour vs wooden armour...I don't think the wooden armour is going to last very long against a knight.  But Japanese swordplay does seem more sophisticated compared to European swordplay of that time period.  

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 17 September 2003, 05:25:00 »

I don't think that we have to stick to the weapons we use on earth, or were used, eg. scimitars for desert tribes. I would rather go for their usefulnes. So if this one is light and durable, the Shendar might want to use it - if it is sharp as well - VERY sharp. Sharp enough to go through the skin of the Rahaz Estar which is by definition nearly impenetrable. So this could be a weapon the Shendars could use.
Btw, the Shendar armour out of the skin of the Rahaz-Estar is impenetrable AND light, you have to find another method to kill an Shendar than with a sword through his chest. However, they are very RARE, no chance to buy one ;) .I would like to use this glaive for more than just killing snakes, but for every day work as well. It is wasy to adjust to everyone. And what about a protection of the blade so that nobody is harmed? I don't want to cut of the tail of my Aj accidentically ;)
Or can the blade be detached if not needed?

A spellcheck would be really GREAT!!

***Astropic of the day***

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Fox
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17 September 2003, 13:17:00 »

Well, Mina, samurai armor was designed in a way that gave maximum mobility along with still decent protection. Wasn't just wood, but also plate sections here and there as well as chain mail and the like. It also played mind games in the fact of the hakumi pants which hid leg movements and the kabuto (helmet) mask. Not to mention a samurai had far superiour skills to a knight... I'm biased. But still, defense isn't the only thing that wins a fight. And I think it's the lowest determining factor, actually. What good is defense when if you don't get hit?

Back to the naginata. Sure Talia, Shendar sounded like a very good choice as well for such a weapon. It *is* scimitar-like, as well. Not to mention, its sharpness is, as all oriental weapons are, made in the way that is makes it very, very, very sharp. And light. And I'm sure you could probably design a sheath for the blade part, or something.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1089
Latest: c4r0lyn18
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 191
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 68
Total: 68

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)