Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Miaelean Disease  (Read 2964 times)
Tzilon Ikara

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 01 June 2005, 20:10:00 »

The Miaelean (or Undead) Disease

The Miaelean Disease was named after Miaelea Ikara, wife of Epheronian merchant Silas Ikara.  After she died of this terrible sickness, Silas poured much of his wealth into researching the disease, and finding a cure.  It is sometimes called the “Undead Disease”, due to the seemingly unnoticed wounds that its victims may receive.  Although rare, it is extremely painful, and in most cases fatal.

Symptoms
The first symptoms of the illness are a lack of motivation and energy, which causes its victims to appear listless and lazy.  Next, the victim’s responses and senses are limited, i.e. one could touch them lightly and they would not notice, or say something and they would not hear.  This progresses randomly throughout the body, to the point where an injury could be sustained to the victim and they will not feel it.  In some extreme cases, people stricken with this disease have lost entire limbs, and only realized it when someone pointed it out to them, hence the “Undead” nickname.  All of the life-energy and feeling in the body slowly contract itself towards the head, numbing and weakening as it progresses, causing skin to fall off and massive bleeding to occur.  Then, in the last stages of the disease, the energy explodes back outward, bringing with it all the pain from lost limbs and bleeding that was not felt before, etc.  Some people die immediately from shock at this point, depending on how serious the initial wounding is.  In the worst-case scenario, the pain is enough to torture beyond all belief, but not enough to kill.  From this point, the pain progresses until its victim finally succumbs to it.

Effects
As the life-energy contracts, it bursts blood vessels as it passes, giving the skin a mottled look; the same happens in the eyes as well, giving them an extremely bloodshot look.  After a while, the skin will turn a sickly gray from the lack of life.  A victim of the Miaelean Disease will be bleeding at least ten different places, on average, giving caretakers an extremely difficult time.  In most cases, the caregiver will wrap the entire body in bandages, just in case.  Once the feeling rushes back into the body, the victim will become half-crazed with pain, lashing out against foe or close friend.  Hallucinations are very common.

Cure/Prevention
The only people with enough knowledge and skill to begin a healing process are the Dalorin priests.  They cannot prevent wounding entirely, but can cause a binding effect on an already opened wound, ensuring that the bleeding will not return to the same spot.  They also have a method of “massaging” the victim’s life-energy back into the body.  This cannot be done completely, but it does help greatly.  Once a Dalorin is on the job, the person’s chances of survival are drastically multiplied.

Vector/Cause
The cause of the Miaelean Disease is very difficult to trace, as it may change from person to person.  There does not seem to be a pattern in who it will pass to, as it appears to be dependent on many different factors, accounting for its rareness.

Endemic
There have been no major outbreaks of this disease, due to its selective victimization.  Also, its history is difficult to trace as well, because of its rare occurrence.

I grafted my soul

To the promises of fallen angels

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 6/5/05 8:57
Thuja
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 03 June 2005, 06:55:00 »

I must say this was a well written entry.  I like how everything was explained and done in a natural way.  The only thing I am not certain about is what you mean by the life force.  I do in a general way but maybe you could clarify that a bit.

So is this an ancestor of yours, or is the name a coincidence.  :lol  

In this life the old believe everything, the middle-aged suspect everything, and the young know everything. —Anonymous

Tzilon Ikara

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 June 2005, 08:11:00 »

When I say "life-force", I'm refering to feeling, energy, feeling, and so forth.

I grafted my soul

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 03 June 2005, 09:06:00 »

Sorry for taking a while to get to this one, but the whole board mess made it a bit difficult to focus on development. Just read it and have to say it is Very well written, Tzilon! Nicely structured and presented, good content, no typos/grammatical errors or inconsistencies. A perfect entry for a first contribution I have to say - guess it's your first official entry, isn't it? :D  - The descriptions reminds me a bit on those zombiis we have sitting around here at our office when the boss is away... :lol

The term "Dalorin" perhaps could be explained a bit in a subordinate clause (like the "White Nehtorians, dedicated to the Healing God Nehtor"), as not everyone might know them when reading the word "Dalorin" only. Perhaps the illness could also be associated with Smith's Plague in Nybelmar, where people run around like Undead, so maybe he has an idea to connect it to the Enclave.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Tzilon Ikara

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 June 2005, 17:46:00 »

Couldn't there be a link to the Dalorins?

I grafted my soul

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2005, 00:16:00 »

Sure, there'll be a link to the Dalorins:)   But we add little explanations in the text as well, so that people don't need to look everything up when reading through the text;)  

Ok, I've already marked this entry for integration at this week's update as it looks pretty fine with me in general!

Hope to see more contributions from you, Tzilon, maybe I'll then learn how to write your name properly, as I always get it wrong and need to check back... :lol  

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 6/3/05 8:19

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2005, 09:16:00 »

A very clever entry! :thumbup  Would you mind if we also had the disease in Nybelmar? I could try to write a few lines on a major breakdown and a sort of hearsay paragraph on how it was dealt with.

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 04 June 2005, 09:33:00 »

Yup, I'd say, just go ahead, Coren - add a few Nybelmarian specifications and we'll have the disease integrated nicely in another part of the world as well:)  

Tzilon Ikara

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 June 2005, 17:28:00 »

Yeah, that's great!

I grafted my soul

Smith in Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 June 2005, 17:42:00 »

Yes, this works well with the Dark Plague, actually I was reading it the other day and I was thinking that the Venlaken guys would surely be interested in such manifestations :)  

@Coren: don't forget to ring the bell in the Nybelmar forum... ;)  

Smith in Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 June 2005, 08:17:00 »

You know, to link it with Nybelmar, you can add in the Cure section a sentence stating that "rumours tell that the twisted mages of the Enclave on the Continent of Nybelmar might know of a complete cure of this disease, yet the risks involved by dealing with these mages might surpass the benefits of that cure..."

Only if you want, of course.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 05 June 2005, 08:49:00 »

Yup, I'll add that, Smith:)  Hope Coren can provide his details before tomorrow evening, then the entry will be complete:D  

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 June 2005, 13:32:00 »

(Cure)
There have also been reports that priestesses on the far western banks of the continent restored large masses back to perfect health during the 19th century B.S. Unfortunately, as all contact with their mysterious civilization was severed after the Year of Darkness, the rumors were never ratified.

(Epidemic)
Although the Miaelean Sickness is an extremely infrequent visitor of the southwestern Nybelmarian peninsula, an advanced form of the disease claimed hundreds of Anpagan merchants and Rebel Forces in 1950 b.S. The High Temple of Ankriss held the Witch Queen of Marmarra responsible for the pandemic, but due to Déárán Sáládor’s intervention an open confrontation was avoided.  

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 06 June 2005, 01:00:00 »

Ok, thanx Coren - just updated the entry I've prepared already, so it is fine to be uploaded:)  

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[21 September 2019, 20:08:43]

[17 September 2019, 22:01:36]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1088
Latest: brayd3n26
Stats
Total Posts: 144685
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 89
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 88
Total: 88

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!