Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: ALCHEMY - found!  (Read 10152 times)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 05 October 2005, 19:48:00 »

(smirks)  I was pretty happy with that piece of writing that Talia quoted - because, yes, I had to collate stuff about alchemy from literally all over,  temporo-spacially! - and that was one of my contributions to help reconcile and unite the fragments.  Glad it sounded plausible...

But I also notice that the style is still very irregular, because in places I didn't edit/rewrite, just put things in the right area and tied it all together.  Once I have a chance to look through it again I can fix such stylistic things as word choice ('chemical', forsooth!) and awkward phrasings that remain.

"If you will listen to this lay but a little while now,
I will tell it at once as in town I have heard it told,
as it is fixed and fettered in story brave and bold,
thus linked and truly lettered, as was loved in this land of old."

J.R.R.Tolkien, 'Sir Gawain and the Green Knight'

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Garganellus

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 October 2005, 00:37:00 »

Good so then.  Now it is all more clear.   Thanks.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 05 February 2007, 11:08:38 »

BUMP!   I can't believe this has never made it back up either.  Should we perhaps move this to 'Team Projects', Art, as it really is a huge amount of work and I don't want it to vanish?  There are probably lots of things to fix by now as many entries have gone into the site in the meantime.....

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Gean Firefeet
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 February 2007, 23:07:16 »

Yupyup, we should definately work on this somehow. I was thinking to use some 'alchemical ingredient' to explain why the northern part of the Fields of Aurium, near Kreeswind was never made into farmland like the part closer to Shneerin. This would then involve also a nice entry on some 'order' that would have its abbeylike-thingy in the Hallowhills nearby, who would exploit this particular ingredient. Has the possibilities for some nice myth/lore sections as well, but we need concrete facts (as much as that is possible in this universe) :)

"Blessed is the man who calls an aj his friend."
- Shendar Proverb
"If music be the food of love, play on; Give me excess of it..."
- Shakespeare's Twelfth Night
Falethas Whisperwind

Gained Aura: 8

Master of the Endless Winds

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 February 2007, 05:11:13 »

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH!!!!

*Squeals with excitement*

I never thought that we had alchemy in Santharia, but I guess I was blissfully wrong!  This is captivating (from what I have read so far) - it's like magick, but more, I don't know, tangible. Much more science than philosophy.  Positively delicious.

I'm very interested.  I would be willing to pitch in with this project, [insert name of head alchemist here].

Epthaeranté á sáh pheranía sáh alyría; ahmantát naithím sá sae'llán styaeyías.
"The rain whispers down through the trees; elvish music will rise in answer."
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 06 February 2007, 14:11:46 »

Goodie goodie!  Happy to have any interested parties involved - but this IS going into Team Projects, so it'll have to wait its turn in line.  At least it won't get lost in the Forum depths again....

I guess for all practical purposes I'm the Master Alchemist at the moment, as Garg is no longer around and I did all the collation and rewrite work.  Personally I don't need the extra hat (or leather protective hood with goggles?) so it's going on the shelf till the Great Currency Project is done.  (hint hint)

I'll keep your name on the top of the list, Ysuran!

Falethas Whisperwind

Gained Aura: 8

Master of the Endless Winds

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 February 2007, 10:34:42 »

grin

Many thanks, Lady Bard! 

.:Breezes off to continue work his guide to the pronunciation of his native language for all of our the non-elves interested in the lilting beauty of its words, as well as his treatise on his people's poetic musings...:.
« Last Edit: 09 February 2007, 10:41:20 by Ysuran » Logged

Epthaeranté á sáh pheranía sáh alyría; ahmantát naithím sá sae'llán styaeyías.
"The rain whispers down through the trees; elvish music will rise in answer."
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 February 2007, 04:16:40 »

Ah, this is such a gem! I can't believe I have hitherto been blind to it!

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 07 May 2007, 21:35:19 »

.....(bumps the unwieldy entry BACK out of the Forum depths again)...

I feel rather like Sisyphus, rolling a boulder endlessly up the hill only to have it roll down again.   Really, I've done this monumental collation and now I need wiser heads and fresher opinions to help make this a finished entry.  It should be moved to Team Projects so people can throw more ideas at it!   

And I really do think we need to reshape the whole idea of the Gnomes and their language to give us a vaguely 'latinate', quasi-scientific vocabulary.   Concepts such as 'acid' existed in the middle ages - we can easily Santharianize them as I've been doing by giving them common gnomish renames ('aceed' and so on)   

Anyhow, here it is again....

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 07 May 2007, 22:06:33 »

Oh, and a little 'throwaway' to illustrate the entry-to-be, which ties in with my latest artwork (see the Vytruvyan Elf for details)...

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 11 May 2007, 04:10:44 »

Good to see that entry revived, Judy, but we've seen that before... It's time to get something done here. We could indeed make this a team project, it looks much more possible to succeed that way.

We can cancel the currently (not working) "One Sans Worth" project, and try to get Alchemy done. Problem with the prices project was that people expected the worth to be defined before going ahead and that never happened.

Here we could work section by section, e.g. doing some research of interesting stuff we already have on the site and integrate that appropriately, someone could focus on humand, elven or gnomis alchemy, or add details to Larcadians, Xeuans or add something on his/her own, someone could try to come up with more definitions mainly, and so on. - So question therefore: Would there be some people interested to help with getting sections done for this major entry? If so, we can start a team project.

BTW: Interesting picture you've got here as well, so we'd have something to illustrate the entry - if we can finally achieve something together here. Parts of it stiill look a bit problematic though, e.g. the dragon runes sheet looks very strange and washed out, the coin could use a drop shadow etc. The "1" doesn't look very fitting to the rest of the coin... But this must be a goldbard then, and as such would be a picture we're still lacking in our Santharian coins overview as well! The embossed effect looks great!  thumbup
« Last Edit: 11 May 2007, 04:12:55 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 11 May 2007, 11:08:28 »

Sorry, should've clarified:

a)  no, I have not added or edited the entry since last time.  I really can't do anything more on it myself - that was the point of asking for help - so moving it to Team Projects might help.  Then again, it might just be the 'kiss of death' as it was for "Project One San".   

I still don't understand why everyone lost interest on that.  Perhaps because they realized that THEY actually had to put some effort and research into defining worth?  Sigh....  ah well, I don't mind taking that back under my wing, as I believe it has vital interest and serious consequences for both the Compendium and the RPG board.  And I don't mind putting in the effort to sort out 'worths'.  Perhaps if some basic things are defined people will feel more confident adding details?   

b) the picture IS just a sketch ('a throwaway') with a number of issues that I didn't bother developing.  If you like the CONCEPT then I can certainly take the time to develop it into a proper illustration, with some spilt liquids, other three-D items like the coin, etc. etc.

And yes, the coin IS a goldbard, with that great profile borrowed.  I want to do a 'beaded' edge and add the number and font in the same embossed effect - then I'll send you that graphic separately for the Coin entry.

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 12 May 2007, 02:11:23 »

without wanting to drift away from the topic to much, the killer factor for One San was probably the fact we had no starting point from wich we could extrapolate prices, and that generally many prices in our setting would vary every few days or so, as production and transportation technologies needed to keep prices constant are completely absent.

Alchemy at least has defined values to work with.

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 12 August 2008, 14:13:05 »

Bumping.  Needs revision to integrate the comments, and then cross-referencing with the Tabula Periodiq or whatever I called it....

But let's look at that vocabulary list again - could be very helpful currently!

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 12 August 2008, 16:03:08 »

Put it on that link list, it must have been far down on the board!

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[21 September 2019, 20:08:43]

[17 September 2019, 22:01:36]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1089
Latest: r3g1na15
Stats
Total Posts: 144685
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 111
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 96
Total: 96

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!