Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: (Dragonward) Shield of Ximax  (Read 10826 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #30 on: 22 December 2005, 15:53:00 »

Picture: Of course it would be ideal if you could write the text to go with the picture directly and/or refer to it in the text somehow.

I'll continue on with my Uri-check, always make sure to read in detail what I change and how I change things, so that you learn on how you can improve your entries next time:

Usage
The Shield of Ximax, despite its appearance, is not an implement of war. Though its impressive appearance does suit an object of its powers. Said to have been originally designed when the Orb of Ximax was discovered, it is well documented that it wasused to dampen the power of magical spells so that they could be cast within range of the Orb. The theory behind it is that it acts in opposition to the force of the Orb itself, weakening the spells so that they may be cast safely. (Quite honestley, I still don't get this part The shield weakened the cast spells, not the powers of the Orb? Wouldn't be the other way round much more logicial? That the shield drew the energy from the Orb and absorbed it or something, so that other spells could be cast to encage the Orb?)

Its only other power is that it has an enchantment of great potency in the magical realm of Xeuá upon it, some call the Dragonward an "auratic beacon" of unparalleled power. It is said to have been used in the original binding of the Orb, to gather those who aided in the constructions of the bonds of the Orb to the side of Ximan Xuran. He may have received it from another, or have enchanted it himself. But it is said to have been able to rally men, elves, dwarves, halflings, brownies and beasts alike to its wielder's cause.

To give a good example of the artifact's auratic powers: The shield appears just before the downfall of Ximax in 733 b.S., when it is also lost, as told by the following account:

"And lo, just when the siege amounted to its greatest point, the Archmage of Xeuá, came out onto one of the towers, and even without the high staff, was still a great menace to the dark elven forces. He bore a great shield, gold and green, and its metal appeared like the scales of a dragon. And the defenders of Ximax, elves, humans, Volkek-Oshra, dwarves, even Ximaxian cats and rats fought back against the besiegers with new found vigour."

-- Excerpt from the famous "Gloum's Book of Lost Artifacts", p. 57, quoting from an eye-witness.

There may be quite a large amount of this leaning to points of exaggeration, the point of the Ximaxian cats, and Ximaxian rats, as well as dwarves, is very sparsely thought of, as it is very improbable that there were enough of them, but the general idea is captured. The power of the shield apparently managed to rally the defenders to the side of the Archmage, though the dark elves were not affected by it.

However, later on, the story continues:

"A dark elf, with a bow, attacked the Xeuatán, and struck him; the great defending shield fell from his hand, down from the tower he was standing at, and landed in the mud below.

Nothing is known of what happened to the shield after this; however it is safe to surmise that one of the dark elves carried it home as a war trophy."

-- "Gloum's Book of Lost Artifacts", p. 58

--------------

Ok, I'll get to Myth/Lore next then:)  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 12/21/05 22:54

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Takashi Logan

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 23 December 2005, 17:35:00 »

Great!!! This is going very well from what I can tell!
:pet  *jumps up and down like a little bunny*

Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 24 December 2005, 00:18:00 »

I'm just not comfortable with the powers and purpose of this artifact.  We haven't even decided how the Orb works yet, so explaining how this artifact works would probably be close to impossible at the moment.  Also, I don't really see any need for it.  The eleven (or whatever number we end up changing it into) wards, as I remember, were placed to dampen the Orb's effects while the Shield Dome was constructed.  This would make the shield somewhat redundant.  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #33 on: 24 December 2005, 04:47:00 »

With a little imagination I don't see much of a problem, Mina. Actually I pointed out that the way the shield works isn't very well described, so this part needs to be changed and rewritten, but that's no reason to discard the idea. What I could see as a working possibility is that the shield was used to set up these static wards you're talking about, Mina, then the shield has its purpose and doesn't contradict anything. Also I think it isn't necessary to know how the Orb works precisely to describe this artifact, just as it isn't necessary to give a detailed Ximaxian explanation on the relic, as it's just an item from an ancient time with extraordinary powers. What we can accomplish with the entry is that we can explain just enough to make this a workable artifact.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Takashi Logan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 24 December 2005, 15:34:00 »

This was the purpose I thought up when I started to work on it. It isnt really nesecarry to explain how exactly it works, since much of the information is derived from older documents, that give little explanation to what it does. All the person needs to know is what the orb does, and not how, and vise versa for the artefact. Its like an anti version of the orb, but cooler looking, and portable.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #35 on: 28 December 2005, 03:35:00 »

Takashi, make sure to integrate what I've mentioned above properly, so that the first post represents the final version. For example you have copied a comment from me into this final version, of which you have to get rid of. And we still need suggestions for the text around the shield in the picture etc.

I'll get to comments on the last part now:

Myth/Lore.
You said initially: "The Shield of Ximax has many stories and myths surrounding it." Well, you don't really mention many tales and myths, but brief accounts where the shield is mentioned. Tales and myths would be something much more elaborate, so this has to change. Mentionings of the Shield of Ximax appear every now and then in various ancient recordings. Three of the most well known accounts are recorded here. The elven Mène'téka, the "Books of Heroes", for example, mentions the Dragonward in the following passage:

"In the ages before the formation of the City of Magic, a tear escaped the Dreamer of the World, Avá the Beautiful, and was lost in the fabric of the Dream, and from this tear, arose a wonder, the Uarná'ésh-dél, an orb of immense power, which was found on a peninsula in Southern Sarvonia. (You need to tell the story so that people can also understand it. In this case it is essential that you mention that it is the Tear of Avá, the elven High Goddess and Dreamer of the World.) A force which enhanced magic, to the potency of a hundred thousand fold, as if it was light, projected through a pane of curved glass. The simplest spell, like those used for lighting small fires, cast in the vicinity of the Orb, would destroy the mages casting within a distance of at least a quarter of a dash. The simple fire lighting spell would become a torrential firestorm, like the fury of the Hèckra unleashed in a small alleyway. Then came the great mage, Ximan Xuran, discovered this force, and began to comprehend its power. Using an artifact of great power, a shield of a great aura, and the help of many others, he constructed the Eleven Wards, bonds to contain the Orb. The artifact used, could dampen the magic force emanating from the Orb for a brief time span, and even could rally forces to the aid of the wielder. As it is said that dragon magic was used in this shield, it should be known as 'Dragonward' from henceforth."

-- "Mène'téka" (Book of Heroes), Chapter "Of the Tears of Avá", p. 60.

The next account we find in pre-Santharian history mentioning the Dragonward goes as so. It was discovered as part of a charred mold infested journal while the catacombs built during the Dragonstorm were being refiled.

"Xuran utilized the aid of the great Orb itself in building the shield. His simple spell caused the metals to grow hot enough to turn even mithril to putty, even while at the periphery of its effects.

He strengthened its base steel and had it overlaid in mithril. It was magnificent. Finally he bound its dampening spell, the last great spell cast whithin the Orb's range. I myself couldn't understand the mechanics of this spell but it was amazing. The effects of the Orb began to lessen while one was near this shield. It was designed as to be practical to carry, and not easily carried off or recognized. (Uhmmm... What precisely should that mean? Definitely needs to be rephrased) At first he had it coloured in copper, so that none would steal it. When the Academy was established it was coloured more estheticly."

-- "Ximaxian Parchments", Vol. III, p. 247 f.

The final account, again rather ruined by time and ill keeping, was found in an old walled off part of the academy.

"Today a fabeled artifact was brought forth. Now, when none would dare attempt to theive (?) the artifact from the care of the Archmage, it is coloured anew. It is now gnastheen green and golden framed. The dust was scrubbed from its gilded eyes. I was invited to see it placed in its ceremonial ring for the cleaning and restoring. Around it were written letters in gnomish. Unfortunatley there were none among us who could read the gnomish tongue."

(That's very simple and doesn't solve any problem. I don't think we can seriously consider using Latin as gnomish tongue, so I would suggest to think of a sentence you would like to put around it, and I'll translate it in Styrásh and let Quellion change that text accordingly. Also the reference to a "ceremonial ring for the cleaning and restoring", of which nobody knows the meaning doesn make any sense. You could say instead that the shield was placed on such a ring deep within the catacombs, in a secret chamber, so that nobody could find it, as it was only meant to be used by the greatest mages in key moments. And the ring with the text should help to identify the shield.)

-- "Ximaxian Parchments", Vol. IV, p. 501

*The Chronicler notes that most of this is speculation, and extrapolation from these texts. However the notes kept at Ximax were precise in their nature, and most of the accounts are most likely quite close to the truth.

** The Chronicler regards none of this as history, nor (?) as it is too close to the mythical to be placed as such.

Takashi Logan

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 28 December 2005, 09:56:00 »

and not easily carried off or recognized
It basicly meant that though the shield could be moved, no plunder laden barbarian would pick up a dull copper coloured shield, that weighs a fair bit, when there is more promising (and much lighter things about.)

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #37 on: 01 January 2006, 02:53:00 »

So... Any chance to get this one updated, Takashi, and fix the remaining details?

Takashi Logan

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 02 January 2006, 09:34:00 »

If my sanity allows it art. I'll see what I can do. I'm compiling a list of sorts, of the areas that I need to adress.

Takasi Logan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 06 January 2006, 11:29:00 »

I'm back, my sanity is fully intact.
I'll run a grammar check on it today Art.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #40 on: 08 January 2006, 15:30:00 »

From what I see you ignored my comment on Gnomish and Styrásh - why is there no change and proposal on what to write on the ring, Takashi? - I cannot put the picture up that way. We need to change that.

Takashi Logan

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 11 January 2006, 15:12:00 »

Yes, I've been looking. I'm going to have a suggestion up soon.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #42 on: 26 January 2006, 13:20:00 »

Ok, to make it short: I have to take over here.

The entry was started on August 2nd 2005, was several times abandoned and continued, I've given very detailed comments and proposals how to get the entry ready for integration, but a quick check convinced me that various key things still haven't been implemented. Due to the fact that the promise of "having a suggestion soon" on one of these issues still hasn't produced any result and Takashi is nowhere in sight, I'll make the final adjustments myself.

I've clarified with Quellion in the meantime that he can adjust the shield (or more precisely: the round thing in the background) with a Styrásh text, so I'll send him a proposal today on what to put there and mark this submission for integration and I'll do the necessary adjustments.

The text I plan to add on the shield ring in the background (at least on the visible part) is:

ín'eaá cár'áll (permanent protective Aura)
ó'chón'cár á avelthá (spirit through thoughts)

...which will be explained in more detail later.

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 1/25/06 20:34

Takashi Logan

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 26 January 2006, 14:43:00 »

Oh crap. I forgot about this...
My Excuses. Exams jumped on me. And I was studying like a madman. Less I fail math. So yes... My most sincere apologies.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #44 on: 26 January 2006, 14:31:00 »

No prob, Takashi, exams have top priority! But in order not to make it an endless project, I'll see to get it finally done:)   It has progressed very far anyway, so shouldn't be too much trouble to finish it for me. You just focus on your math mission! ;)  

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 1/25/06 21:32

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1093
Latest: sh4l0nda12
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 16
Online Ever: 580
(07 December 2019, 09:39:18)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 19
Total: 19

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)