Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Quarterstaff  (Read 23061 times)
Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03 June 2006, 05:59:00 »

@ Xera:  Depends upon the way in which it is treated.  usually a quarterstaff is a bout an inch in diamerter anyways.  IMHO, it would be cut while it as still alive and after it was shaped, would undergo a special process in which it was hardened.  It would unconvinient to use only live wood IMHO

Edit:  Also, the varying types of staves that you mention would be intersting, however I think that they should each get thier own name and entry as you could make many interesting things with your ideas outside of a plain old quarterstaff.  I think the dragon bone or the metal would be good for scepters as they sound/look impressive.

Drasil Razorfang CD

Edited by: Drasil Razorfang at: 6/13/06 19:58
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 21 June 2006, 12:33:00 »

Drasil aren't your staves bit tall? Two metres (approx = to two peds) would suffice most humanoids (none of the main races average above two peds), and 3.3 metres is positively huge for a normal-class weapon! Your large staff will be reaching up to 5.3 metres maximum, wich is then 2.5x the length of the user!

(also, balance ought to be preserved if you apply identical caps to either side of the staff)

Miraran Tehuriden..

'What the hell is he doing?!' - Ximaxian Fire Master, last words.

Feed the rats, leave a message!

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 June 2006, 13:09:00 »

Mira, if you look online the long staff I have is not the longest that was used.  The reason it is called a long staff is well because it is longer than the others.  Do a quick search on google and you fill find the answer to this question.  The quarterstaff that I mention was frequently used and was approximately 12-18 feet in length.

Secondly for the caps, the extra weight on the ends, despite the fact that it is equally divided will still through of the balance of the staff as it is supposed to be euqlly weithed throughout.  It would prevent it from being used as a thrusting weapon as well as some move combinations.

Drasil Razorfang CD

Edited by: Drasil Razorfang at: 6/20/06 21:14
Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 21 June 2006, 14:19:00 »

I stand fully corrected Drasil...

(see, that's why i don't develop Objects... at least no-one is going to object to my trees more erh... curious behaviour, since there are no Terran resources to check them with...)

Miraran Tehuriden..

'What the hell is he doing?!' - Ximaxian Fire Master, last words.

Feed the rats, leave a message!

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 22 June 2006, 12:25:00 »

Ok, had a closer look here, so some comments from my side:

- In the overview you should somehow mention the staff's appearance a bit. "Staff" alone doesn't give you an idea about the weapon's length (size or size + half size of the wielder), how it is wielded (two-handed) etc. - Just think about explaining it to someone who has never heard of this weapon before...

- The name deduction which can be found at Wikipedia I think would be nice to have here, it tells you something about weapon: "giving quarter = showing mercy, pity, or pardon to a defeated enemy", which means: it is not meant to be used as a killing tool, but mainly for defending purposes. Maybe that's why it is a good weapon for elves - that's not mentioned much on the site, but I think it would fit.

[Edit:] Aha - I saw you already used that piece of information now in the History/Origins part - very nicely done there:)

- You write that the "[Brownie Quarterstaff] is used primarily by creatures of Brownie-sized stature such as Brownies, Gnomes, Mullogs and Halflings". Well, that's hardly possible, because there is a huge difference in size between Brownies (7 Brownies make 1 ped) and Halflings (1 and 1.2 peds) and the other races you mention, which are of similar size. Also if we take the length of this specific staff which you describe as approx. "1 ped" then it is too small far halflings and way too large for Brownies. This needs to be adjusted properly.

- "Quarterstaff (Short)" and "Quarterstaff (Long)" aren't the best imaginative names. "Quarterstaff" for the regular version is ok, but maybe you can find another term "...staff" for the second type?

- "Almost any hardwood can be used, causing many variations of the woman to be created based upon the location at which the weapon was manufactured." Woman? Drasil? Not sure if we're talking about the same thing here... 8o  :biggrin

- "Ashwede" should be "Ashwude"

- "This large range of colors includes Urmarillion (Topazum), Cinnabrown, Yealm Beige, Eophran Brown, Lythei'be Pollen and Moonsilver." Already said that somewhere else: You don't need to use all Santhariarized colours in that way, these should be used only every now and then, but not overly much;)

- The expression "modern times" sounds very... modern (non-fantasy world-like).

- On the caps thingy you could say: The larger the caps become, the more they take center stage and reduce the staff's size and thus effectivity the typical usage of the staff.

- Usage: Here you can mention again that it is a good tool for defending (link it to the History/Origin part) - even with little training it might serve its purpose, especially because it is avaible in a certain form practically everywhere.

---------------

Ok, I'm through, and am very impressed with such a detailed and elaborated entry, Drasil! :D  Definitely one of our best weapons entries, and not much to adjust here all in all. Very well done! Some smaller updates here and there and it will do perfectly! :pet :clap :pet  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 June 2006, 12:49:00 »

All the edits have been added in the color red.  I am glad that you enjoyed this weapon.  I had fun writing it up because there were so many variations and so much information that could be encompassed.

Drasil Razorfang CD

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 22 June 2006, 14:09:00 »

The quarterstaff is one of the most common, less-than-lethal weapons found in modern Caelereth. Consisting of a single piece of hardwood, usually birch or oak that has been sanded down to remove imperfection and to make the surface smooth, the quarterstaff is most commonly used by the common traveler and martial weapon wielders. It () can range in length anywhere in size from 1.2 peds to five peds, one fore and in diameter it is either one or two nailsbredths. No decimals Because of its shape, it is more difficult to kill an opponent; however anyone trained in the use of the weapon is able to kill an opponent, given a slightly longer amount of time. However, most users of this weapon prefer to incapitate their opponent by knocking him or her unconscious or through painful bruises to various body parts.

The weapon is used with two hands though their positioning varies based upon the unique style in which the wielder utilizes. Most trained users prefer to keep both hands towards the middle of the staff, while less trained users may put one or both hands at the base to provide more leverage.

No time to read more, though this is a weapon my chars might use!

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 June 2006, 14:33:00 »

*Drasil shudders as his happiness in pleasing Artimidor is shattered by Talia's comments*  I swear you read the worst part.  I am not very good at writing overview.  I tried to switch up words throughout the rest of the entry though.  I don't have a very big vocabulary as during school I often diregarded our vocab lessons leading me to flunk english a few times.  I hope you like the rest though. *Drasil hopes Talia likes it so he can please two people for the first time ever*

Drasil Razorfang CD

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 23 June 2006, 00:56:00 »

Don't worry, I remember well my first entries :lol

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23 June 2006, 02:36:00 »

Trolls and ogres would be able to kill more effectively with a quarter staff when faced with an opponent that has heavy armer. They wouldn't need to penentrate the armer only hit them hard enough to cause sever internal injury.

Enchanted quarter staffs should be common compared to enchanted swords because its easier for a mage to make a staff then it is a sword. A quarterstaff with an ice enchantment could be used to cross rivers.

Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 23 June 2006, 08:36:00 »

*Drasil wishes that he will live up to Talia's writings*

Xera, I would do the whole enchantment thing however at the request of our former weapons master, all enchanted weapons are currently banned from development.  Also, I couldn't really picture a Troll or an ogre with a quarterstaff.  Imagine how big it would have to be.  :p   I also really couldn't see them playinga a "gentleman's game" either.  *cringes at blows from Vesk*

Drasil Razorfang CD

xerampelinae deicida
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23 June 2006, 19:02:00 »

Your giant quarterstaff is more then long enough for a troll or an ogre, but not thick enough. Pine trees are tall and straight.  An ogres quarterstaff could be a pine tree he knocked down then stripped of branches and shortenned to desired length.

Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 23 June 2006, 19:23:00 »

Yes, you are right xera, though I never would have imagined an ogre or a troll with a quarterstaff.  They seemed more like brutish club people to me.

Drasil Razorfang CD

Stormraven

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28 June 2006, 09:33:00 »

Heyla Drasil, Isn't the giant quarterstaf more like a pike? I mean while a person could swing it they would not be able to get it around fast enough. However used as a pike to stop say cava;ry it would be effective. All one must do is plant one end and hold it  

Not all who Wander are Lost J.R.R. Tolkien
Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 28 June 2006, 15:58:00 »

Not really.  Quarterstaves are generally used without the spikes made from the caps.  Pikes are also rarely moved, even for thrusting, while, if a long quarterstaff was going to be used in the spear fashion, it would be used to thrust, not to plant into the ground because it would be very ineffective, also I was under the impression that pikes were must more rigid than the weapon I mentioned.

Xera, sorry for not encorperating your comment yet, I have had trouble signing on lately.  I shall encorperate it as soon as I can.

Drasil Razorfang CD

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]