Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Cow...  (Read 3475 times)
Ralhag Silverskin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 15 February 2002, 02:31:00 »

Well, here she is, in all her glory.

Everything is accurate, and in order, I believe.

Tell me whats wrong, PLEASE!

The Cow

Overview:  There are two main types of cow grazing the lands of Sarvonia.  That which specializes in the production of milk, and that whish tends to be more weighty, used mainly for its healthy and delicious meat.

Appearance:  Both species of cow can be mistaken for the other, although with a little knowledge of them, it's easy to pick them apart.  Dairy cows are taller, leaner, and generally more "ladylike", plus they have black spots on a white coat.  The beef cow tends to be shorter, heavier and has a less charming demeanor.   Both grow horns that can be cut off at a young age, and they will not regenerate, and females of both breeds have udders, although the udder of a dairy cow is much more visible, and not covered in the same type of hair that the beef cow's bag is.  A cow may reach upwards to 60 inches, although this is only in peak conditions and health.  Their weight also varies with their health and surroundings, but a 1000 pound cow is not over exceeding itself.

Abilities:  Dairy cows have the wonderful and unique ability to produce massive amounts of healthy and rich milk.  Beef cows grow large with feed, and when butchered they yield delicious meat that is cooked and eaten the world round.  Both are also domesticated, and cows are generally very gentle around humans.

Territory:  Cows are found where ever humans are settled, as long as the animals can survive the climate, which the hardy beast usually can. Although the beef animal is much more adapted to the cold and harsh climates, dairy cows oddly enough do very well in the heat, even extreme heat, as that is where they produce their maximum amount of milk.

Diet:  Cows generally eat Alth'ho grass and any grain available.  In the winter, the farmers usually need a large storage of dried, "baled" feed, of both the grass variety, and grain.  In need, a cow may eat any vegetation it can find, as with four separate stomachs, digestion is rarely a problem.

Habits/Behavior: Dairy cows a milked twice daily, sometimes more, and after you establish a pattern with the animal, it will greet you at the same time in the same place day in day out.  Some say this is a mental clock, others say its just because its udder is so full, and its uncomfortable for the animal, so it goes to where you can relieve it.  The animals travel in herds, with many cows "belonging" to one bull.  Bullfights are not uncommon, and are usually watched by interested humans, as the male battles for the rights to breed any certain group of females. a cow can live anywhere from 7-15 years in a natural lifespan.

Mating:  Cows usually come into "heat" once a year, around the middle of summer, or early, and calve out in early spring.  They have only one birth a year, although it may be of more than one offspring.  The calf nurses its mother for about 6 months, then is weaned off.  At one and a half years of age, the animal is an adult, so the females are bred and the males are driven off, to find their own herd.

Origin:  Cows have existed since men developed domestication and agriculture.

Researchers:  I guess someone had to first find out that milk came out, and that it was delicious and wholesome, but I pity that fool.  :)

:lol

At yer service,

Ralhag

No one knows if they've bitten off more than they can chew, until, of course, they choke!

RPG Administrator, world developer, and handsome guy!!

Uragel

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 15 February 2002, 02:43:00 »

coow - I mean cool... darn typo's and my "del" key's gone walks abouts! :)

Nice work! :)  

Uragel!
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.
And then do what the women did.Character Description
Little Miss Moderating Mistress - All Round "Little Helper"
World of Klintorth
Dont let it end like this...... Tell them  I said something!!!

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 15 February 2002, 03:19:00 »

Ralhag - fabulous...just one request....

PLEASE can we have the blond/tan milch cows instead of those gaudy spotted black and white ones?

I much prefer the Jersey/Guernsey breed in terms of looks AND milk richness... and I just think they would fit better into the landscape.  Also, perhaps a couple of other breeds - 'wild' cattle, like the hairy Scottish Highland type, and the lean, humped, wattled kinds like the asian Brahmas or gaurs....

Thanks for the detail and thorough work on a much-needed animal!

Regards from the bard...

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Drogo
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2002, 03:23:00 »

Will in time put up several sub-species of cow.  The scottish type you mentioned will be found in the Celeste lowlands (Kuglimz herds) long hair will work well there.  The aurochs types I have already planned to have in the lands of the Kanapan.  The large penninsula above the sky of haven or whatnot.

Drogo Lord of the North and Places Supervisor May Helvet bring courage to your blade, and Teimor grant death to your enemies

Ralhag Silverskin
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2002, 04:43:00 »

*At the Bard's words, Ralhag's knees nearly fail him. He pauses, as if struck by Urtengors Hammer and then steadies himself*

I can, and will add more species, with different characteristics of each, but to call my breed, the TRUE dairy breed, Holstien-Friesen cow such hurtful, damaging words, is almost more than my ears can bear.

*He pauses to wipe away a tear that found its way out of his eye half down his cheek.*

Sure, the jersey milks more per pound of animal, and SUUUUURE, its butterfat is much higher, making for a creamier, thicker milk, but to tarnish the image of the work horse of all cows, the monument of grace, is sacriledge!

*He wanders off in a daze, muttering "gaudy" over and over, as if he himself still didn't beleive it.*

LOL

Jk

I'll get to making more, but I'm not gonna replace them, sorry, I just can't do it.

;)

At yer service,

Ralhag

At yer service,
Ralhag

No one knows if they've bitten off more than they can chew, until, of course, they choke!

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 15 February 2002, 06:03:00 »

haa , huu, why not cross the two breeds and do some Jersey cows with black spots?
And don't forget the lila/pinc cow!
*grins and hides behind the next cow*

I always loved the african image of a warrior bull, used for battles and seeming much stronger for this purpose like any horse, maybe in A.eruilln...on the southern continent.

Als Gott den Mann schuf übte sie nur.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Drogo
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 February 2002, 06:08:00 »

The people I'm working on (The Kanapans)  bring a holy bull to the field of battle and let it loose.  If it just starts grazing, then the Lofuno (their god) doesn't care if they fight.  If the bull attacks people on one side or another it will demoralize the army.  

Drogo Lord of the North and Places Supervisor May Helvet bring courage to your blade, and Teimor grant death to your enemies

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 February 2002, 09:53:00 »

Don't forget the Chocolate Cow. We need Chocolate milk in Santharia. :D
j/k, of course.

Brownie Expert

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 15 February 2002, 14:45:00 »

Greybark, you don't watch your advertisement, or is it pure European? The lila cow is made of chocolate, will see if I can find a pic of it.

Unfortunately they don't have this realistic pic anymore, it is an elefant now!
Look at this page:
www.milka.de/100/jahrhundert.html

or this one
www.milka.de/alpengruesse...uesse.php3

www.milka.de/cowsim/bedienung.html
and you find the chokolade cow

Als Gott den Mann schuf übte sie nur.

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 2/14/02 10:37:08 pm

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 16 February 2002, 07:44:00 »

(Glares at the weak-kneed Ralhag, who is wandering off bumping into things....)

Well, there is your problem right there!  You've lost your eyesight from staring too long at those Rorschach-blotted Holsteins.... with their big craggy hips and their big wide heads and their big sharp hooves....

Hmmmph!

(Pats a nice mild-eyed little Jersey behind her deer-like ears)

Well, diversity is a good thing, so the more species we have the better...even....shudder...the chocolate and strawberry variety of bovine....

(Stalks off, munching on a Jersey Milk chocolate bar...)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Ralhag Silverskin
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 February 2002, 14:47:00 »

Ok, then should I then change the name of these two animals, sdo that it is not THE COW, but the Strata Milk Cow?

Or sumfin?

That way we can keep expanding, and not feel stupid about having an entry based on only the COW...

*Bard petting a fat deer, and stalks off*

;)

At yer service,
Ralhag

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]