Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Remusian War-Horse  (Read 11121 times)
Belgarion the Great

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 July 2002, 14:47:00 »

War-Horse. That sounds fine. It really rolls off the tongue.

You are Cordially invited to the place of

Koji Maelstrom

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 July 2002, 16:03:00 »

Hey, works for me.

Talos Fargarin

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 July 2002, 16:18:00 »

I aggree with the other guys, do you really need to make your own horse. You could just use the Kev'lor.

Edited by: Talos Fargarin at: 7/20/02 11:34:24 pm
Timeras

Lursus/Mathis RPside

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 July 2002, 16:18:00 »

Talos, weve already astablished that that could be done, but id prefer some uniqe qualitys, were esentilly modifying the kev'lor to fit these needs, and yes everybody else ... War-horse would be better

Edited by: Timeras at: 7/20/02 11:36:51 pm
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 July 2002, 18:12:00 »

Take some real world example like Icelander and ponies, get a horse book (steal it from your sister if necessary and look it up) some races were esspecially bred for cold regions and would fit very well.

For the Kev'Lor thing: ???
That is quite a distance and you need less than 5 centuries to create your own line of horses, many distinguishable horse races today are even only few centuries old. When man breds animals for a purpose there can be a swift change in appearance, stamina, etc... very quickly.

And what is it that suddenly people have something against beast entries?? I better get go back learning programming, BAH! ;)  

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster--
One day I'll be the greatest of all Jedi!!

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 July 2002, 18:23:00 »

Well it's going to take quite a bit more than this to be it's own entry. For one, the stuff under habit doesn't really fit there. So it was bred for cold and can travel through snow, that's not really a habit. And saying 'inches, or even a few feet' doesn't makea  whole lot of since either. Any horse can travel through tall snow, they'd just get real cold, and it would take a while. But why mention the inches if it can go through feet? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Could use some more under behavior. And if they're trained for war, them going wild wouldn't make a lot of sense, no matter what bond there is. Being trained for war means that they're trained to stay calm, because otherwise they would go wild anyway because of all the noise and commotion.

And why are the necks and tails different colors from the rest? With horses, any odd coloration is splotches and spots. If it is descended from the Kev'lor it's coloring should be the same, or at least have a difference that makes sense, not a section of color instead of random patches or something.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers
Chronicler of the Rahaz-Dath Mercenaries

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 July 2002, 19:21:00 »

Odd coloration? There are various races marked through the coloring of their neck and tail. (First I think of is the "Hafflinger" a Alpine mountain horse)

Spots are only normal among American mustangs and maybe ponies which were explicitely bred to have spots!! A normal horse has one or two main colors and these are split up between body and the more wiry hair of neck and tail.
Coloring a horse really doesn't take long! ;)

But the lack of detail and  consistency is still true... so some further research on the topic and there should be much detail found about them! ;)  

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster--
One day I'll be the greatest of all Jedi!!

Koji Maelstrom

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23 July 2002, 15:25:00 »

See updated post at top!!

I changed the color a little bit because of 2 reasons: a)The colors would randomly change anyways, and b) to make it more unique.  I'll change it as to how you suggested.

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 July 2002, 14:50:00 »

The colors would randomly change? How do you figure?

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers

Timeras

Lursus/Mathis RPside

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24 July 2002, 15:24:00 »

yeah, what do you mean by that?

Koji Maelstrom

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 25 July 2002, 16:37:00 »

You see, unlike humans, horses' skin/fur color change unpredictably, whereas a human sticks straight to one of their parent's hair color.  A foil can have parents that only have black skin/fur, and turn out to have brown with white spots, or white with black spots...  It's really unpredictable, but pretty cool.  Unfortunately, that's why a horse is really prized to be one pure color (at least, you know, like back in medieval China, or whereever....), because it's hard to get it one color.  Or at least, I think they were valuable for one color...  Anyways, it the horse good?

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 26 July 2002, 20:00:00 »

....Where did you hear this? It's wrong, whoever told you. I grew up with horses and my dad is a vet, I know what I'm talking about. Genetics simply doesn't allow it. There may be a recessive allele for a certain coloration, and both parents could only exhibit the dominant allele while being a carrier for teh recessive allele, and the child inheriting the recessive allele from each parent. But they don't randomly change color.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers

SmurfStormcrow

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 July 2002, 12:38:00 »

Well, Tarq apparently knows a bit more about horses than me, but I have heard about genetics a bit in school. And I KNOW that things don't randomly change colors. A horse has just about as much chance of it having a different hair color than its parents as a human, but if you look back at its grandparents, and so on, you'll probably find a few of that color. One of my friends has red hair while all the rest of her family has darker hair (brown and dark brown) and she didn't get it randomly. Its not too uncommon...

Stormcrow

Psychotic Wizard-Type

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 July 2002, 13:04:00 »

::chuckles:: Randomly changing colors? That's kind of amusing, and it would be really cool if Tarq wasn't right, but unfortunately, he is. ^_^;; And I've never heard of horses of one pure color being more prized that any others, and I've never heard of them being that rare. Paint horses are rather pretty, though from what I've heard they're "the blondes of the horse world." Perconally, I like the blue roam. There was this blue roan at the stable I used to go to.. he was so sweet! I also like appaloosas because my aunt has horses and one of them is an appaloosa. I've known this horse since I was really little and everyone has kind of dubbed it as being mine. (I wuv my Stormy) But anyway... ^_^;; Yeah, Tarq's right.

...Ripples in the Dream Pool...

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Talos Fargarin

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 July 2002, 13:53:00 »

Thats what I would assume.... Koji's wrong. WRONG... WRONGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]