Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: The Flying Ape  (Read 6641 times)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 22 November 2002, 11:40:00 »

Thanks, Atri.

If you could read over the previous posts, there are a number of comments and ideas you could still integrate.  You've also said there was more detail coming, so I'm waiting for an edited post which contains all of the above.

Some of my comments on the Flunki apply here, so you might have a look at that posting.

Certain areas of this beast are still not given enough attention and information.  For example, we should have in Mating:  the entire reproductive cycle from Heat (if applicable), Mating, Pregnancy/Gestation, Birth, and Infant Care/Feeding (if applicable).  You don't need to go into all the gritty details of it if they are standard (such as regular mammalian sexual behaviour, or nursing) but you should give an overview and have thought out the animal's needs and behaviours if necessary.  

It should be quite a nice little beast when it's finished - I can't recall any other apes in our bestiary, so that will be a good start to the primate section.

Regards from the often-monkeying-around bard
Judith

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Atrii Redwood

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 December 2002, 14:34:00 »

Made some additions to it, tell me what you think.

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 12/10/02 8:31:25 pm
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 02 December 2002, 20:11:00 »

What you have integrated looks good so far, and much more consistent with itself.  There are a lot of typos, but we can clean that up in the final draft, so I won't worry about that at the moment.

More importantly, there still needs to be a bit more solid information about these beasts.  Have a look at some of my prior questions and answer them mentally.  If the answer is 'no', you don't need to go further, but if 'yes', then you should also describe how and why!

"How do they fit into the established climate, landscape, foodchain, etc.? Do they fertilize trees with their droppings? Do they prey on biting insects? Are they food for some of our larger predators/carnivores? Can they be tamed and kept as pets (if so, why? Their voices? Do they perhaps perform social grooming, and could be taught to pick fleas off humans or other beasts?) Could part of their bodies or secretions be a powerful magical reagant? Are they....last but not least...good to eat?"

Also:  given that the males are the aggressors in mating, and are the ones to dictate the movements of the group, it's likely that there would indeed be a dominant male 'leader', as there is with most primates.  The group has no focus otherwise, and would be splitting into random family units or loners (not a successful survival strategy, especially for vegetarians...)

I know that there's not a lot of detail about Nybelmar for you to integrate, but that in itself is a challenge for you to invent a plant/fruit/berry that these animals might eat - it helps to flesh out the scanty ecosystem that is developing on that continent - or come up with some other innovative details.

Hope those comments/ideas help,

Regards from the Bard

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Atrii Redwood

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 December 2002, 08:12:00 »

Ok, well added a little part about a clan leader... I will work on developing them their own special fruit/berry whatever for them. Also looking into some predators for them to be hunted by. I will add how they evade their predators after I decide what their predator is.:)  

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 12/10/02 8:31:39 pm
Atrii Redwood

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 December 2002, 22:46:00 »

Just bringing it back to the top:)  

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 12/10/02 8:29:18 pm
Tyrian Jadewalker
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 December 2002, 12:47:00 »

if you want i could give you a type of giant spider that feasts on them...have to check it over with koldar to see if he wants giant spiders residing in the forests of nybelmar

:)  

Tyrian Jadewalker

Timeras

Lursus/Mathis RPside

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 December 2002, 17:32:00 »

These remind me of Clakars from the Elric Saga by Micheal Moorcock. They didn't have green hair though... :|  

Timeras of Remusiat, lord of the White Citidel.If at first you don't succeed, try, try, and try again. Then give up. There's no use being a damned fool about it." - W.C.Fields (1880 - 1946)

SmurfStormcrow

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08 December 2002, 22:19:00 »

"the wings are often used but the flying ape can merely hover. Not fly magestically like many birds."

Umm. This makes it sound as if the ape can hover without using its wings. But I'm assuming that you didn't mean that.

Okay, does this mean that they can flap their wings as fast as hummingbirds can? Because that is very VERY difficult for anything to do, besides hummingbirds. Especially for things any heavier than hummingbirds. Like apes. 50-70 pounds? This would be impossible for earth. One of the reasons that hummingbirds can hover so well is that smaller things have a greater strength-to-mass ratio, I believe, and that for larger animals, this begins to break down. The power required to overcome 15 pounds moving at high velocities of maybe 35 mph is a lot!

All of this is to say that they cannot hover like hummingbirds, which logically leads to the conclusion that they must either use magic to accomplish this, or that they must not hover. They can still fly, maybe only glide from tree to tree like some crazy squirrels I know of. This would make it necessary either that they had a gargantuan wingspan that would not allow them to maneuver between tree branches, or that they weighed maybe 20 pounds. (2 heb, if my memory is correct).

So, the entry needs to be reworked to make the flying ape possible.

Also, another possibility of a name, or at least a path to get to a name. The face looks remarkably human-like, so perhaps something having to do with seeing people in the forest at night. And since the general consensus is that these must not be very common, they probably would become a bit of a legend.

Stormcrow
Psychotic Wizard-Type

Atrii Redwood

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 December 2002, 09:36:00 »

Ok, well thank you very much:D   I'll add some of those ideas to it.

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 12/10/02 8:32:09 pm
Atrii Redwood

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09 December 2002, 09:40:00 »

Ok, added some things about flying... took your Idea SmurfStormcrow thanx:)   Also adding something of my own to it, and Tyrian that would be great if you could do that for me:)  

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 12/10/02 8:31:51 pm
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 09 December 2002, 18:03:00 »

giant spiders? Why not. That's a dense and dangerous jungle. :)  

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster--
One day I'll be the greatest of all Jedi!!

Atrii Redwood

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09 December 2002, 21:01:00 »

Ok, well I'll put that into it now:)   Thanx Koldar for allowing it and thanx again Smurf for the idea:)  

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 12/10/02 8:29:35 pm
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 11 December 2002, 10:34:00 »

Are you going to integrate any further ideas, or did you want this to receive a spell-check final edit and an 'approved for update' stamp, Atri?

Atrii Redwood

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 11 December 2002, 16:24:00 »

Well, that's all my ideas for now. Spell-check I guess now, I can always make some updates if I come up with anything:D  

Atrii Redwood:Azuka:Akira

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 12 December 2002, 09:52:00 »

Er.... well, really we'd prefer that you have everything you want added to the beast BEFORE update.  It's a lot more work for Art to have to go back into the Compendium and make changes.  That's what this forum is for.  I quote from the Cerubel Butterfly submission, as I told Rayne:

"We are encouraged to post, repost, change, correct, amplify, give helpful critiques, incorporate critiques, spellcheck, and generally do the best job we can....

BEFORE it goes up into the Compendium! Once it has been finalized (that means you agree it's finished, your moderator - me at the moment - agrees it's finished, and everyone else has had a chance to look at it), then it is marked 'ready for update' and moved to the Santharian Dream website, AKA the Compendium.

After that it is STILL possible to change it, but it means a great deal of work, mostly for our dear sage, so we don't encourage that. We prefer that it be kicked into shape here in the forum, where it is merely a matter of reposting the info or editing the original post. That's also why we are so fanatic about INTERDEPENDENCY of entries and CONSISTENCY of entries. "

I would much rather that you took three or four or even five weeks to finish a beast and did a high-quality, detailed, creative job that has a number of cross-references and is well-established in the Santharian culture - than that you slapped something together to go up within the day that really doesn't add anything to the Dream.   Don't rush just to make the next update, but think about your creation seriously and see how it fits into the world around it.  When you have all aspects of its life and behaviour worked out in your head, put it down - and we will all be the richer for it.

So - if you DO have anything else, I will gladly wait with the proofreading/spellchecking.  Look back over the comments to see if others gave ideas which you wanted to integrate but didn't, or if their comments spurred other concepts you could change and work with.

Regards from the bard,
Judith

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]