Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: MANTICORE - Update Review  (Read 3096 times)
Tolar Jharn

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 17 January 2003, 17:37:00 »

MANTICORE

The Manticore is - like e.g. the Griffon - a strange and nowadays very rare combination of two or more common Aér'aí'chán beasts, in this case obviously of a Oracau and a Gryph, sometimes of a Scorpion too. Manticores possess the complete body of the predator but are also endowed with enormous wings, furthermore - although this may vary - they can have a lethally spiked tail which reminds of the mentioned scorpion. Very seldom Manticores can be spotted who have an uncouth Mannish head and who also possess the ability to speak. These exceptions may eventually result of an ancient curse. The latter creatures are all deemed to be of evil nature, whereas the typical Manticore cannot be categorized per se in this way.

Appearance
As the Manticore mainly is a lion it also has most of its abilities and advantages, but although a dangerous foe the Manticore has not the agility seen at the lion itself. Many descriptions in the old books tell that the heavy wings mostly hinder the beast to lead quick attacks with its claws. The attack with its spiked, poisonous tail seems to be the most effective weapon the beast possesses. As for the wings which make the Manticore so impressive: They allow the Manticore only to fly short distances, which often is enough to catch the prey in an unexpected moment.

The Manticore has a natural vermillion color and stands between 1.3 and 2 peds in height at the shoulder, a length of up to 3 peds, and also has a wingspan of up to 5 peds. The Manticore has huge jaws that holds three rows of razor-sharp teeth, upper and lower, that interlocks when the beast closes its mouth. The teeth could shred flesh and bone to shards without effort.

There are two breeds of Manticore, those with Scorpion tails and the even rarer Manticore with dragon tails.  Dragon tailed Manticore has the speed and agility of normal lions and can fly 4 times as far as the scorpion tailed Manticore or 1.2 dashes. The wings of the Dragon tailed Manticore may be like the wings of a dragon.

Special Abilities
The Manticore has two primary methods of attacking its prey.  One method is to pounce on its prey by jumping or flying on top of the prey, knocking its prey to the ground and biting its neck.  

Manticore’s really are to big to fly as birds do, however they can glide.  They have the ability to run and then leap and glide for 30 peds at a time, or to glide down from a perch.  The dragon tailed Manticore can actually fly for 1.2 dashes.

The other attack method is the more commonly seen, tail attack, where the tail is whipped releasing 1 - 6 poisonous spikes to kill or paralyze its prey.  The tail of the scorpion tailed Manticore can be used to sting it prey as well.

The Manticore is an intelligent beast and uses various pack attack methods.  Furthermore the Manticore has - like all cats - a remarkable ability to see in the dark (darkvision) and often is not alone when hunting...  Manticore also retains the stealth ability of cats.

Manticore’s have the ability to speak, but would rather eat someone than chat, additionally they have a keen sense of smell.  It is said that the manticore can smell the blood of its prey.

One more thing needs to be mentioned here: It is very unlikely that Manticores have magical abilities on their own, however, many pictures show these beasts as pets of witches or powerful sorceresses, to whom they seem to have developed a certain affinity. The reason for this is as unexplainable as their true origin, but there sure is much more in respect of this peculiarity than just the need of the artist to let an innocent maiden pose near a symbol of manlyhood.

Territo
There has been stories of the Manticore as living in a large variety of territories around the world, but it is has been many years since they have been seen roaming of living above ground.

They mostly can be encountered in underground sewers, caverns or also at crypts or ruins and feast on the flesh of creatures they kill. And tamed Manticores prefer to be housed in large caves or caverns, but enjoy having access to sunlight.

Manticores considers all land within 12 leagues as their territory, and their prime hunting grounds.

Habitat/Behavi
Manticore’s life in a pride of up to five total Manticores,  The males are the hunter and the fierce protectors of the pride.  The females also assist in the hunting and caring for the pride.  Manticores rest in shifts of 8 -12 hours, however there is always one Manticore awake.

While the Manticore can hunt effectively on its own, it prefers to hunt in packs of 2, 3, or the more rarely 5 Manticore pack.

Manticore prides without cubs tend to eat their prey where they kill them, but if there are cubs in the pride then the prey is always brought back to the lair .  While the male Manticores are the primary hunters, they always wait for the females and the cubs to eat before they eat.

Rarely are there two male adult Manticore’s in the same pride, Males strive to kill each other when they meet.  

Manticores have been known to collect the valuables of their prey.  They are intelligent enough to know that people value things.  While they may not understand what those things are for, Manticores collect the valuables of their pray and keep them in their lair’s. Manticores have been known to use these valuables to set traps for unwary travelers. Most Manticore lair’s have small treasures, the lairs with the longest history may have the wealth fit for kings.

Di
Manticore’s  prefer to eat meat, of any kind, and the fresher the better.  Manticores usually capture a prey once every two weeks, and can live without food for almost a month, while they can just as easily eat 3 or more meals in a day. The Manticore was said to relish feasting on humans, elves and dwarves, and while the smaller races were considered neat snacks.  

Typically they would hunt and eat any best the size of a large horse or smaller.  As this was the size of beast that two Manticores and devour in one meal.  Larger animals will be hunted if the Manticore is in a party of more than two.  They did not store their food, as the refuse to eat anything that has been dead for more than one day.

Mati
Manticores mate for life and usually have a litter of 1 or 2 cubs at a time.  Most Manticore cubs are primarily female with perhaps a male cub born once in every 3 births.  Manticore mates will only have one litter at a time.  And only 1 litter every 7 to 8 years as there is always a period of 2 or more years between litters..  Clubs reach adulthood in 5 years, and are encouraged to find their way in the world.  Some female cubs stay with the pride until a suitable mate if found.  While the female is carrying, the male will hunt for her and clean her repeatedly.  Both parents equally contribute to the cubs growth.  

Female Manticores only take one mate and that will be the only mate that she will have for the duration of her life.  Males primarily have 1 mate but  have been known to have up to 3 mates.  Still a lost mate is never replaced.  

Myth/Lore/Origin (Optiona
The origin of the Manticores is completely unknown. However, the beasts are mentioned in several mythological stories written down in the M?ne'téka and which all take place long before the often cited War of the Chosen where many creatures were bred who seem to contradict nature's course (e.g. the Centaur). This may lead to the assumption that the Manticore roamed the vast lands of Aér'aí'chán from the beginning of time, but couldn't survive in the many ages and hence seems to be extinct by now.

Researcher
While from time to time reports of Manticores show up, none of these reports have been substantiated.  They may be extinct or solely under the care of sorcerers.

T"OLAR J"HARN

jharn@softhome.net

Love What you do!!! The sooner you do, The better it gets.

Edited by: Tolar Jharn  at: 1/18/03 12:15:59 am
Tolar Jharn

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2003, 17:49:00 »

I tried to keep everything that the original author had created and expand a bit on that concept.  

There were a couple of things that could have been done to create a better Santharian intergration and history  but that will take me longer to get a good fix.  

I did not want to sit on this to long and thought that I should get something up and then we can work from there.

Hopefully.

T"OLAR J"HARN

jharn@softhome.net

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2003, 19:36:00 »

Do we have anything equal to a Lion in Santharia? Don't think that word should be used....

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - character descriptions moderator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Greybark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2003, 23:14:00 »

I don't think its a problem...how else can you describe it? Say the front looks like a big cat?

Brownie Expert

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 17 January 2003, 23:36:00 »

we DO have lots of big cats - check most of Rayne's entries :D  

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2003, 00:24:00 »

Lion = Oracau

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Tolar Jharn

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 January 2003, 18:15:00 »

Good catch,  Oracau it is then

T"OLAR J"HARN

jharn@softhome.net

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 January 2003, 00:04:00 »

I should know. I did the Oracau entry. ;)  

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Timeras

Lursus/Mathis RPside

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2003, 01:09:00 »

:rolleyes  Manticore? ... Good, but more original beasts would be better than adapting ones from real life or mythology..

Timeras of Remusiat, lord of the White Citidel.If at first you don't succeed, try, try, and try again. Then give up. There's no use being a damned fool about it." - W.C.Fields (1880 - 1946)

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2003, 02:31:00 »

Well,  go ahead, Timeras... :D  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 January 2003, 03:00:00 »

Hey! Some things from existing mythology are good. If we didn't use them, we wouldn't have elves or orcs or dwarves or any such things! Though original things are nice too. However, you have to realize that mythology has many different interpretations.Some say Sphynx simply had the torso of a woman and the hind legs of a lion. Some say she had wings to, or that she had the tail of a scorpion or serpent. It's all based on interpretation.

I love Sphynx. She was cool. ^_^

This concludes Rayne's mini-rant.

Timeras

Lursus/Mathis RPside

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 January 2003, 03:27:00 »

Sphynx? I actually wouldn't mind a Sphynx... hmmmm... *runs off to scheme. Throwing his now trademark javelins at all who follow...*

Timeras of Remusiat, lord of the White Citidel.If at first you don't succeed, try, try, and try again. Then give up. There's no use being a damned fool about it." - W.C.Fields (1880 - 1946)

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 January 2003, 15:04:00 »

Hey! My Sphynx!:(

And she's an intelligent beast. She's more of a race than an animal, and races aren't being accepted right now.

Tolar Jharn

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 January 2003, 15:10:00 »

So then outside of it not being an original/new type of beast then everything looks ok?

T"OLAR J"HARN

jharn@softhome.net

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 26 January 2003, 13:43:00 »

I see you did the beast more in the direction of an extinct animal, not a mythical one, T'olar. I guess in this case this apporach is ok and the way it is written makes it believeable that this beast existed in such a form. So just a hint her concerning "true" mythical beasts: At such beasts we will zip things like diet or mating, as you can't say that a mythical beast really existed, and thus you can't research such details. But as has been said: This doesn't apply here, as we're treating the Manticore as a semi-mythical beast in this case (like a Gryph for example). A usual you did a very through job, son once again: well done:D  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]