Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

gfx gfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register    gfx gfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!
Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator

- THE CD FORUM POSTICON SYSTEM -

Below is a summary on the posticons used for the character description approval process. The posticon of the first post should always be edited according to the current state of completion of the character description (either by the player, a Moderator or an Administrator).
1) PLAYER - CD is incomplete. Use this posticon if you have not finished your CD. 4) MODERATOR - CD has been approved by one moderator. A second mod's approval is needed.
2) PLAYER - CD is completed. Use this if you have finished working on your CD. 5) MODERATOR - CD has been approved by two moderators. An Administrator should soon take care of the titling.
3) MODERATOR - An expert's opinion is needed. The specific field in which the expert's help is needed should be added to the title. 6) ADMINISTRATOR - An administrator has titled the character, and the thread will soon be moved to the CD Archives.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Garet Jaxx/Cor'hm, Kasumarii/Mercenary  (Read 130 times)
Garet Jaxx
New Santharian

« on: October 13, 2007, 03:48:36 PM »

Name: Garet Jaxx

Race: Human/Elf

Tribe: Cor'hm, Kasumarii

Title: The Weapons Master

Appearance

Height: 1 Ped, 2 Fores, 1 Palmspan, 6 Nailsbreadths, 1 Grain.

Weight: 1 Pygge, 4 Hebs, 4 Ods.

Hair color: Light blonde, almost silver

Eye Color: Flint Grey

Physical Appearance: Garet Jaxx has a slight frame that is covered in hard muscles that have been built up over his many years of training. His face is worn and lined and his skin is tanned from the harsh sun of the many lands he has traveled. His hair is straight and medium length. He has a large white scar extending up the length of his right bicep and across his chest from a wound he received 50 years ago.

Clothing: He dresses in a black skin tight leather bodysuit that somewhat reduces the need for light amour for it is strong enough to resist penetration from some small weapons. He wears a wide black leather belt with a silver buckle. He has two harnesses rigged to his back to hold his weapons and he wears black leather gloves.

Personality:

He rarely does anything that doesnt result in personal gain of any sort. He is approachable and associates easily with all types of people. He occasionally has a violent mood swing that can sometimes result in injury for anyone who stands in his way. These may be brought on by reminders of his father. Underneath the rough and tough exterior of a veteran mercenary there is still a kind and gentle man.

Strengths and Weaknesses:

Strengths:

Weapon proficiency: He has yet to find someone who can constantly match his skill with a blade. This is due to years of training and a natural born talent.

Weapon proficiency: He has some skill with a quarterstaff as he was taught by an old man who he helped nurse back to health 102 years ago.

Dual wielding: Because of the many years he has spent training with the blade he has learnt to wield two swords at a time.

People skills: Thanks to the many people he has met in his travels he has developed great people skills and can associate easily with many people of different races and beliefs.

Weaknesses:

Old Injury: Thanks to a deep injury he received years ago his muscles in his right arm and chest may sometimes seize.

Violent mood swings: Thanks to the way his father treated him as a child he may sometimes experience mood swings when reminded of his father and these may lead to injury for other people.

Nightmares: Dreams of his first kill still haunt him and theses may sometimes wake him and leave him shaken for hours afterward.

History:

Garet was bought up b his abusive and drunkard father after his mother died due to illness when he was only 5 years old.

His Father, Durex Jaxx, was an outcast Cor'hm soldier who was dishounerably discarged from the Cor'hm army for disordaly conduct whilst under the influence of alcohol. He then moved to a human settlement in southern Cyhalloi where he meet Garets  mother, Neilda, who was a Kasumarii Greendeath.

Durex who had sobered up after being discharged from Garet ran the army began heavily drinking again after Neilda died from a serious infection. He regularly beat Garet, until one day in Garets 25th year; Garet seized his fathers short-sword from where it leant against the wall and butchered him. Garet ran from Cyhalloi and has never returned since.

Garet spent many years under the instruction of many sword masters who were willing to take him as an apprentice. One year he came across a old man who was dying due to illness. He nursed the old man back to health and in return for his help the old man taught Garet how to use the quarterstaff. He then continued on his journey to gain mastery of the blades. On one occasion he was learning to duel-wield blades he slipped and deeply injured his arm and shoulder. The muscles have never fully healed and it left him with a large scar.

Weapons:

Fathers Short Sword: The sword he used to kill his father. The hilt is made of black iron and is bound in black leather. The blade is of polished steel and it is rumored that it contains the reflection of his fathers face in his dying moments. There are black ribbons tied to the pommel.

Customized Broadsword: This is a broadsword of his own design and was made by dwarf smiths who were paid a small fortune. The hilt is made of black iron and the handle is bound in leather. It is light and balanced so it can be wielded in one hand or two. The blade is curved on one side. The blade is made of polished steel.

Quaterstaff: A quaterstaff he made out of black birch and it is 1 ped and 2 fores talll.

Belongings:

Garet has his weapons, clothes, a small pouch for money and a small pack in which he keeps food and he also ties a thick black traveling cloak to it.

Thank you to Vincent Varkatzas who has helped me write this CD. He also has illustrations in the works such as my weapons and my portrait.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 02:09:53 AM by Garet Jaxx » Logged
Vincent Varkatzas
Nighttime Drifter
Approved Character

Human, Kasumarii

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 02:16:46 AM »

The illustrations are nearly compleate and hopefully I will have them done within the next few days  :D

Ive got a jet black heart, it's all stuffed up and it's falling apart

http://www.santharia.com/adv/index.php/topic,4729.0.html
Niccoli Faust
Pal'ran
Approved Character

Elf, Sanhorrhim

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 04:03:47 AM »

Alright, the obvious first one is Coor'hem Karii cross. How does this work. You are going to need a heck of an explanation for how this works, which you DO NOT have right now. The Coor'hem live, as I remember, in the north of santharia. The Kar'ii live on the islands of Cylahoi all the way across the sea, and then north a ways. Kind of a distance apart no?

Second: Details! not enough of them. Try and elaborate on the clothing and physical appearence areas. You have to take into account the fact that you are (apparently) Half Coor'hem. You'd probably have darker hair, since it's a dominant gene, and darker skin than normal. Being Kar'ii (if those traits are dominant) you'd have no tan. Kar'ii have EXCEPTIONALLY pale skin, and we don't have sunscreen. They'd burn hanging around in the south. Also, Kar'ii have BLUE eyes. It's one of those quirky things about genetics, blue eyes go with blond hair go with fair skin (all recessive genes), or at least they're known for having blue eyes, really striking blue eyes. Your history is VERY skimpy.

Thirdly: Cyllahoi is not a place for a coor'hem. You don't just run into people who say "i'm going to go across the ocean in a tiny little boat and hang out of a desolate spit of land covered in ice.

Fouthly: A broadsword is not a light weapon. It is heavy. Curving it is really going to mess up the mechanic of fighting with it because you now have an oversized cutlass, which opperates under a complety different fighting style from your average broadsword. And if you have a shortsword and a broadsword, the shortsword isn't going to be doing much. You'll throw yourself off balance trying to swing, one blade isn't  going to be doing much most of them time, you'll probably get killed.

Lastly: Why are you still a mercenary? That entails KILLING! If anything someone who still has nightmares about killing someone should get themselves as far as possible from any proffesion that may involve killing. Go into scholarly pursuits.
Isoto
The Widow
Approved Character

Elf, Cor'hm

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 04:12:28 AM »

Hello Garet, or Vincent I may presume.

I realize that you are not finished but I do have one thing to say. There is a problem with your History, the Coorhem do not have an official army. The Tribe itself is not even unified, they are broken up into clan units. The clans are ware in a constant war with themselves.

So it is extremely unlikely that Garets father was discharged. The first reason is the Coorhem do not have other jobs, do to the constant barrage of clan battles their is no official army, each Coorhem is expected to fight or they will be killed. Another reason is each clan has about forty members so the by sending one away the clan is weakened and thereby vulnerable. This brings on the fact that if he just left the Clan would send assassins to kill him, because of his knowledge about the clan.

Plus the Coorhem elves are very prideful and mostlikely would not go to live in a human settlement, also apart from there pride they have a bad reputation among the humans so more than likely he would not be allowed to settle.

Garet please understand that I am in no way trying to attack your work, I just want things to stay as realistic a possible. Now if you were able to explain the situation rather well I would see no problem. Once again this is all in my oppinion and you can do as you want.

~Isoto~

"I'm tired and you're in my way"

~Isoto~
Vesk Lyricahl
Mr. Admin
Admin

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 04:50:24 AM »

@Niccoli: Please do the research before you comment on a character. For this character you would obviously want to read the Coor'hem and Kar-ii entries. If you had, you would have known that the Coor'hem live in Nybelmar, not Northern Santharia, and that the eye color of the Kar-ii is not specified. Also, like every other dark elven tribe, Coor'hem have pale skin, not dark. At the very least, you should read the tribe entry before commenting.

Second, there is no point in forcing a character to explain the look of his character with genetics. Santharia does not have such terms. As long as the trait is not unnatural and is possessed by at least one parent tribe, no further explanation of his heritage is needed. I do agree with you that his skin is not likely to tan, as fair as it is bound to be, but there is no need to explain it with genes in your comments.

Last, please refrain from typing in all caps. It is read as shouting whether you mean it to or not. There is no need to type in caps to get your point across; we can all read lowercase letters just fine. ;)

I am but a dreamer in this waking nightmare some would call life. ~ Vesk
Niccoli Faust
Pal'ran
Approved Character

Elf, Sanhorrhim

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 04:59:49 AM »

I was typing on a PDA at the time I think... PDAs don't cooperate with Santh very well... Even so, it's a doubly difficult journey. You'd either double the distance by boat or cross the desert.
Vincent Varkatzas
Nighttime Drifter
Approved Character

Human, Kasumarii

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 11:22:16 AM »

Garet I have the sword drawn  :D your portarait on the other hand.... dont ask lol

@Isoto: would finding a better elf tribe help or would you be more interested to see this one explained more?

ps. hw do i attatch a image?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 11:30:22 AM by Vincent Varkatzas » Logged

Niccoli Faust
Pal'ran
Approved Character

Elf, Sanhorrhim

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 03:17:44 PM »

@Vincent: use the [ img] [ /img] tags, after hosting the picture somewhere. :) (remove the spaces, and stick the url in there.)
Isoto
The Widow
Approved Character

Elf, Cor'hm

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 07:51:22 PM »

Garet, it may be easier to g owith another tribe but in my oppnion I would stick with it. I think it is an interesting idea and would like to see it developed.

THere are really two ways out of the Coorem army, one they are all killed by another clan or his father deserts. He can then go to a seedy town that dosen't care he is a Coorhem.

Well the choice is yours, and you want any advice feel free to ask.  grin

~Isoto~

"I'm tired and you're in my way"

~Isoto~
Twn Arerwn
Melancholy Mage
CD Mod

Elf, Iferhm

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 12:26:13 AM »

In my humble opinion the character idea is a great one. Though there are logistical problems galore with a Cor'hm, Kasumarii. As Isoto mentioned, you could come up with great ideas on how this might be possible but ....why? Is my question.

How or why would an elf travel across three continents to reach a place he probably has never even heard of? Add to this the fact that the majority of these lands he goes through would be unfriendly to him (to say the very least). If it is because the Kasumarii are skilled assassins and you want to learn from them ..... You shouldn't forget your character is from one of the most bloodthirsty of all the elf tribes. He could easily be an excellently trained assassin amongst his people or one that excels at it. He is over two centuries old after all, that alone speaks highly of his skill amongst his people.

You need to also list each type of weapon he is skilled with in his strength section. Even various swords require slightly different fighting styles. So how skilled he is with each of his separate blades should be mentioned.

The customized broadsword you mention sounds like a bastardsword. Read up on that particular blade style and you will see the resemblance.

Take your time and consider where it is you wish to go with this character. Different routes raise different questions and hurdles to overcome.
~Sincerely~
Co f cr'tuuln:Twen Araerwen

P.S.: The name you are using is a fairly famous one from the Shanara books. Terry Brooks happens to be one of my favorite writers. ~.o
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:34:43 AM by Twn Arerwn » Logged

he pe e pon the rowd ike a ragon, ncient and u o eath
Vincent Varkatzas
Nighttime Drifter
Approved Character

Human, Kasumarii

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 10:43:33 AM »

Garet here is the drawing of the sword

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc106/Tempest_027/20-9.jpg

please keep in mind i am by no means a master of the pencil lol

Niccoli Faust
Pal'ran
Approved Character

Elf, Sanhorrhim

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 03:12:14 PM »

@ Vincent: Try finding a pen of some kind (black, one of those ones where if you hold it down it blots the page) or a really thin sharpie, and ink over the pencil lines. Wait for it to dry and erase with gusto.

@ Garet: What Twen said. Keep in mind that you'd also hate the climate. Nybelmar is south of the santharian equator. It's tropical to sub-tropical depending on where you are. It's hot and humid. Cylahoi by contrast is rocky, out in the middle of nowhere, and covered in ice. Very cold, very dry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[Today at 11:27:35 AM]

by Khel
[Today at 10:45:00 AM]

[Today at 10:34:31 AM]

[Today at 10:23:52 AM]

[Today at 10:22:33 AM]

[Today at 09:58:08 AM]

[Today at 09:57:11 AM]