Adventures of Caelereth

Archives => The Tale of Nalaere => Topic started by: Khiera Meneris on November 17, 2003, 11:09:22 PM



Title: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on November 17, 2003, 11:09:22 PM
As you approach the edge of the Shivering Woods, a sense of grim, foreboding dread envelopes you. The slender trunks of the Larkentir trees with its silvery leaves stood densely together. There was no sound to be heard -- no birds singing, insects chirping – except for the faint rustling of the Larkentir tree leaves with each breeze. You try to peer into the woods from afar, trying to catch a glimpse of what lays ahead inside the woods, but all you could see was the tall, seemingly fragile Larkentirs swaying against each other in the wind.

You wonder what awaits you inside the woods, besides the reputedly evil and bloodthirsty dark elven tribe of Tsváen’mol’khár – if you decide to make your way into the woods.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Kiushapo on January 28, 2004, 01:17:22 PM
Finally! Kiushapo felt a child like giddiness sweep over him. After all this time they had finally reached the woods. If he'd been by himself, he might have come here first And gotten myself killed . This thought was reinforced by the ominous silence, very strange and depressing to his ears, used to the constant creaking and whining of a ship at sea.

Looking to Mina, he had to thank her for making them ask questions along the way. He just hoped he had more of an idea of the big picture than he did. Despite all their knowledge, he still had no idea what had happened to the Princess.

Humming softly to fill the void, he touched a nearby tree, trying to see if he could get a sense of the place as he waited for his companions, suddenly recalling the advice the two little boys had imparted back in town and determined to bring it up before heading into the woods.


Simple answers to life's questioning. T'would be a greater magic that I have ever been seeing.
Kiushapo's Story



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Mina on January 31, 2004, 12:11:22 AM
Mina was wondering about the mystery for most of the duration of their walk to the Woods.  They had quite a bit of information, but not enough to know how they all fit together.  The best Mina could do was to try guess how they should be pieced together.  

The old man Caradol obviously had quite a bit to do with the princess' disappearance, but how was he involved?  And why were there guards after him?  Was he somehow responsible for the disappearance?  Yes...that could be it...Elric said that the prince will be coming here personally because of some big discovery...perhaps Caradol's reappearance here is that discovery.  But what's his motive for this?  And how is Arialle involved in all this?  An accomplice?  Or did she have Caradol make the princess disappear out of jealousy?  Or as part of some plan to return her to the king's side?  And what of Elric?  He seemed not to know about the relationship between Caradol and Arialle, but was he merely putting on an act? She glanced at Elric.  It didn't look likely, but she decided it was still better to be careful, just in case.  

Now that they had reached the edge of the Woods, Mina felt somewhat hesitant.  Still, she had decided that there was no better alternative, save giving up on solving the mystery.  But a little procrastination couldn't hurt too much...

Turning to Elric, she asked, "Um...Lieutenant Dorrum said that you know the usual precautions.  Perhaps you should tell what they are.  So we don't accidentally endanger ourselves or something."

((OOC: Not quite what I suspect things really are, but that's the best I could come up with with the information available to me IC.  :)  ))


There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no passion; there is serenity.
There is no death; there is the Force.

Edited by: Mina Aylwin at: 1/30/04 16:36


Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Fluffy Ramblers on January 31, 2004, 03:53:22 AM
"All right then," - said Manymeals to his followers, accepting the inevitable: "After the boy! - he waved with his paw in direction of Yerun: "He will... uh... clear the way for us." - and he ran into the shadows of the trees.

Sparky shrugged his shoulders. Well, at least the whole thing was funnier than the every day's business. He made a sign for the Ramblers and they joined Manymeals.


-----
Squee! Squee!
The rat story



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Cacunai on January 31, 2004, 07:11:22 AM
Cacunai had completely forgotten about the rats by this time, and did not even notice the huge amount of ratpower gathering until they streamed off after Yerun. This is a proper shambles, isn't it! She thought. So much for my grand plan! The seer in her whistled tunelessly. Come on then Cacunai, up we get. After the boy! Her legs flew into motion and she stepped smartly forward without a backward glance to Kestrel. The part of her that was just a normal elf sighed. You know, she's still got that bit of cloth. The ranger in her swiftly dealt the normal third, or maybe fourth (O_o), a cuff to the ear. It doesn't matter now! Just shut up and run! A fourth bit cut in temporarily. Oh, all of you shut up and focus on the task at hand. Remember those boys in the market? Well, we've lost our rearguard. Maybe it would be better to just desert the rats and the boy. I for one don't want to go along making enough noise to raise the dead. These trees are already flailing around enough. Cacunai as a whole listened detachedly to the quarrel going on inside her mind. She just ran swiftly and silently after the boy. Her life as a Rover aided her now.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on January 31, 2004, 11:47:22 AM
@Mina & Kiushapo:

Upon approaching the fringe of the woods, Elric made the decision that they should enter the woods at a certain point ... probably for no particular or special reason, because each part of the fringe looked eeriely uniformed -- and so was the case with the slithery noise of the Larkentirs shivering againt each other.

"Um...Lieutenant Dorrum said that you know the usual precautions. Perhaps you should tell what they are. So we don't accidentally endanger ourselves or something."

Elric unsheathed his sword and shrugged with seemingly much discomfort at the prospect of entering the woods, though grim determination was written all over his face. "Make sure someone's watching your back all the time. Never step more than a ped away from the person that's watching your back. No sudden movements unless you are defending yourself from an attack. Always be prepared to run out of the woods." Elric paused, then added, "Though, i don't think the last one is an option ... for us."

Taking in a deep breath, Elric motioned for Mina and Kiushapo to follow, as he parted the branches of the willowy Larkentir before him, and stepped into the woods.

>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<

For all the frightful tales associated with its reputation, the interior of the woods was an array of endless Larkentirs brushing up against each other, and a continuous din of rustling from the Larkentirs. It was true that the only thing that could be heard where the rustling of the trees. The overhead sun seemed to decide that it liked staying shy today and frolicked in the company of the clouds, which didn't help in providing a cheerful atmosphere.

Elric swung around, his back facing Mina and Kiushapo, as he spoke in a cautious and wary tone, "We should all stand with our backs facing each other, so that we are all watching each other's backs at all times. We should proceed deeper into the woods this way."



Each of you should make one post, and then we move on ;)



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on January 31, 2004, 12:12:22 PM
@Fluffy & Cacunai:

At Manymeal's gallant command, all the rats rushed forth, little thought bubbles of a paradise laden with mountains of cheese and food hovering above their furry heads. Most didn't know why they were following this odd rat that spoke with an accent, but half of them were secret admirers of SmoothFur and the other half were concerned parents of their lovesick ratlings, so one thing led to another and each tried to rationalize their not so rational actions by looking forward to food and more food.

And so the troop of rats scurried into the woods, and found themselves surrounded all around by tall shivering trees that caused the sound of someone scratching their underarms continously. The rats came to a halt as Manymeals surveyed the surroundings and pondered on which direction to head next deeper into the woods.

As the Great Mouphet was making his decision with SmoothFur by his side, the old, decrepit black rat sidled up to Teapot's side, and flashed an old, decrepit smile at her, trying to project the feeling of warmth and adoration as he squeaked old and decrepitly, "How about getting together when we get to paradise? You and I? You are so -- SKIIIITTTCCCHHHXXXXXXXXX!!!!"

That was the anguished and shocked sound of a rat's tail being stepped on. In this case, it was the feet of one slim female elf who had abruptly halted as she entered the woods as she saw the congregation of rats in front of her. Both parties -- rats and elf -- were looking for Yerun, who was no where to be seen, but only one side had tails to be stepped on.  



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Cacunai on January 31, 2004, 11:54:22 AM
Ech, sorry, she muttered. Rats. They couldn't even make their way around a wood well enough to keep out of a human's way. If there were elves in here, these rodents would not last long. Cacunai stepped gingerly around the group until she reached the head of the bunch, at which point she stood and looked down at them with a raised brow. After about thirty seconds, she snorted and turned away to follow Yerun's trail. This forest wasn't too different from most, except for the trees. Tracking him shouldn't be too difficult. She highly doubted any of the rats could speak, or understand her for that matter, and she did not recognize Manymeals, and the rest.

Edited by: Cacunai at: 1/31/04 3:54


Title: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Evelaria on January 31, 2004, 10:05:22 PM
Eve slowly entered the woods fully now, and suddenly the mood seemed to change. Everything became dark and dreary, something Eve hadn't quite expected. She looked around, hearing nothing besides a slight rustle of leaves in the distance. Eve's eyes could not peer through the darkness ahead of her, she could only see what was directly before her. Beyond that was a mass of blackness. She sighed, remembering the directions Thaetum had given her.

"If you can head SouthWest all the way without ...... without running into ... difficulties ... with the elves, you'll reach the Ring of Stones. It was around the vicinity thereabouts where i ran into the elves."

She closed her eyes, turning her head to where she believed was Southwest. Helli had helped her out earlier by telling her which way was North. A warrior should know these things, but Eve was more about battle than tactics and knowledge. She wanted someone near her, hopefully an animal would come by and keep her company. She lifted her axes from her back and held them close in her grip, ready to block anything that came flying her way. Opening her eyes once more she muttered a prayer.

"Chaos, guide my footsteps like you have never done before. I want to see as you see, make my eyes a beacon of light to you, make my ears a tunnel of sound, let me hear my enemy before they see me."



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 01, 2004, 02:08:22 AM
@Eve:

The lack of direct sunlight pouring into the woods on this day made the atmosphere dull and dreary. The only other constant besides the gloom was the constant rustling of the Larkentirs as they brushed and huddled against each other with every slight passing breeze.

Although the Shivering Woods was quite large, at the moment there seemed to be no trace of life other than Eve herself.

Suddenly, something zipped past Eve's right ankle, and the moment she hastily gazed down to her right see what it was, whatever it was had already vanished. That was when the same strange sensation zipped past her left ankle, and it was either cloaked under some form of invisibility, or it had the ability to vanish instantenously. The constant rustling of the Larkentir meant that the sound of the mystery object's movement could not be determined.

Eve's keen eyes though, caught a suspicious rustling in a cluster of low bushes right in front of her.  



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Fluffy Ramblers on February 01, 2004, 02:14:22 AM
"Now where did the boy run," - pondered Manymeals while standing  in the middle of the trees and bushes. He sniffed the air here and there and then slowly followed Yerun's scent trail. The boy was still nowhere to be seen.

The rest of the Ramblers mixed with the rat crowd. Fuzzytail talked to some of them, to study his future followers (he had no doubts that they would do everything for a friend of Manymeals) and found out, that they didn't really beleive in all that Mouphet-stuff. Which was bad, because fanatics were muich easier to manipulate.

Teapot meanwhile was trying to get rid of her admirer: "Get your hands off me! We don't even know eachother!...". Then suddenly there was that elf woman, who solved her problem with one step. Full of gratitude, she ran to Fuzzytail and asked him to say something to the elf.
"Hey, Big One!" - shouted the mouse: "Follow us, we will find the boy faster! We can sniff!


-----
Squee! Squee!
The rat story



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Cacunai on February 01, 2004, 05:19:22 AM
Cacunai turned on her heel when she heard Fuzzytail's squeaky little voice and scanned the  group until she located him.

If you can sniff him out, my little friend, why are you all dawdling around here?

She shook her head and turned to leave, to find Yerun before the trail wore thin, but she did not move. Fianlly, she turned back and eyed the mouse disbelievingly. She waited for him to say something.

Edited by: Cacunai at: 1/31/04 21:19


Title: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Evelaria on February 01, 2004, 10:30:22 PM
Eve saw something flash past her eyes and she prepared herself to attack anything that jumped up at her. She looked around, her eyes catching the leaves in front of her rustling. She walked, cautiously up to the low bushes and reached in, not knowing what she would pull out. She had one hand in the bush and the other, stronger hand raised with an axe in it ready to strike out.

((Short posts...hate 'em))



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Fluffy Ramblers on February 01, 2004, 11:44:22 PM
Fuzzytail ran to the elven woman before the other rats could hear what she was saying. It would be no good if they learn that Manymeals didn't actually command the Big Ones. "Well, of course you can try to find the boy on your own," - he said to Cacunai: "But I think that three times ten rats would do it faster. We offer you help, it's up to you to accept it."
"Besides," - he added: "Who knows what dangers await us in these woods? Wild beasts or wicked wood-people. Maybe even mages who throw lightnings at random! And we will protect you!"
"I mean, you will protect us," - thought the rat.

Then Fuzzytail abandoned the elf, went back and found SmoothFur in the rat crowd. "Hello darling," - said the mouse: "I think our Mouphet needs a little assistance. He's good at thinkin' an' stuff, but he needs a lot of time to sniff out someone. And those Big Ones can get lost so fast, when they have no rat to tell them where to go. Please, ask your pack to help Manymeals sniffing, would you?"


-----
Squee! Squee!
The rat story

Edited by: Fluffy Ramblers at: 2/1/04 15:53


Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 02, 2004, 01:22:22 AM
@Eve:

((OOC: Short posts ... they gotta hit someone sometime somewhere ;)  NP!))

As Eve's hand reached into the suspicious shuddering bush, her palm reached something warm, furry, and squirming. And then, a familiar "voice" rang out from Eve's grasp, "Acorn Lady! You found us!"

As Eve raised her hand out from her bush, one of the three Kuatus she had encountered earlier on squirmed cheekily in her tight grasp, flicking its bushy tail around. A chorus of chittering ensued behind Eve, and when Eve turned around, it was the other two Kuatus hopping around gaily, greeting Eve, "Acorn Lady! Acorn Lady!"

((OOC: Well now, here are your "tour guides", until Thaetum or someone else shows up :devilish ))



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 02, 2004, 01:43:22 AM
@Fluffy & Cacunai:

((OOC: Aaaaaand ... the decision ball goes back to Nai's court! :wink2 ))

SmoothFur listened to Fuzzytail's words, a little hesitant about whether to do as Fuzzytail said. As she looked towards Manymeals, the Great Mouphet was still looking around his surroundings, a dazed look on his face, but he had not yet spoken.

Smoothing her whiskers with her paws, SmoothFur wondered what to do, and then finally decided that the Great Mouphet would probably not mind some initiative from his followers. So SmoothFur set about scurrying among the pack, telling them to sniff for "Boy". Now "Boy" was a unique scent, and it didn't take them long to catch a whiff of it leading to a certain direction.

While awaiting Cacunai's answer, SmoothFur ran up to Manymeals, and reported, "Oh Great One! Your loyal followers have caught the Boy scent, it heads that way!" And SmoothFur pointed with her tail towards thye SouthEast of the woods.

((OOC: Eh, sorry for the diminutive length ... i call it the SmPS -- Sunday morning Post Syndrome :wink2 ))



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Kiushapo on February 02, 2004, 03:57:22 AM
Taking Elric's words and remembering the two boy's advice Kiushapo nodded and turned around, walking backwards with long strides, his eyes jumping from here to there, as he watched the back path, trying to see everything at once.

Keeping his voice soft, he turned his head to speak over his shoulder to Elric "I am hoping you are having an idea of where we are going, we could be getting lost in here quite easily and I am not enjoying the prospect of trying to be blindly finding our way out of here."

Chuckling, he turned back to studying the woods, his hands firmly on the hilts on his swords.


Simple answers to life's questioning. T'would be a greater magic that I have ever been seeing.
Kiushapo's Story



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Cacunai on February 02, 2004, 05:51:22 AM
Fine, fine. But listen, you! I... um... mouse? Where'd you go...?

She cast about for him, and finally spotted the mouse scurrying around somewhere not too far from her position, so she snapped her fingers to get his attention.

Hey, mousey-boy! Okay, listen! I'll follow you and your friends, but I want NO noise, got that? These trees are flailing around enough, we don't need any more distractions. Anyone, or anything, could be hiding in there. Got it?

She directed a fierce glare in the direction of the mouse, only to find she had lost him again. Dammit!



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Fluffy Ramblers on February 02, 2004, 08:49:22 PM
"As if I couldn't do this alone," - thought Manymeals: "I was already on the track! Alright, I was walking in circles, but I'm sure I would soon find out the right way. Sooner or later, that is."

"Ahm, good, good," - he said: "Let's follow the scent then. But please," - Manymeals looked pitifully at SmoothFur: "Stop calling me "Great One". I... I'm not great. Never was to begin with"


-----
Squee! Squee!
The rat story

Edited by: Fluffy Ramblers at: 2/2/04 12:50


Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 03, 2004, 01:33:22 AM
@Nai & Fluffy:

((OOC: Going to puppet a teeny weeny bit of both of you to move things along ...))

SmoothFur looked at Manymeals quizzically, and then finally blurted out as if realizing something, "Oh Great One! Please do not be modest! We are put to shame by your humility and great wisdom!" And then, she turned around and gave a shrill squeak to all the rats, "SouthEast! The Great One has spoken!"

And so the rats fanned out as they made their way towards the general direction of SouthEast, with an annoyed and wary Cacunai treading lightly behind, trying not to add to the sea of sqritches and squeaks.

And so rats and Elf made their way towards Southeast a couple of peds, seemingly uneventfully, until sounds besides the rustling of the Larkentirs could be heard. It was faint, and then they grew louder, sounding like an ominous, "Who!!" "Who!!" Who!!" coming from three different directions surrounding them.  



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 03, 2004, 02:08:22 AM
@Mina & Kiushapo:

"I am hoping you are having an idea of where we are going, we could be getting lost in here quite easily and I am not enjoying the prospect of trying to be blindly finding our way out of here."

Elric lurched back his head slightly and to the side as well, addressing both Mina and Kiushapo in the same low tone as Kiushapo, "We head East. Let's go. Be careful." His sword drawn and ready for any manner of hefting.

And so the trio headed towards the general direction of East, in a little odd triangle. Nothing stirred except the shivering of the Larkentirs, not even any sight of wood animals.

It was pretty uneventful, even anticlimatic as the trio straggled their way deeper into the woods in their odd triangular orientation. That was until Mina thought she spotted a flash of chrome right in front of her eyes. And a familiar flash of grey. It did not seem to be moving swiftly as it disappeared with cautious steps between a cluster of hugging Larkentirs.  



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Mina on February 03, 2004, 02:57:22 AM
Mina followed Elric, walking more or less sideways in a rather awkward manner.  She kept her hands near her reagent pouches, ready to throw a lightning bolt at anything that looked threatening, such as one of the dark elf said to live within the Woods.  Or an army of rats.  Fortunately, they encountered no such thing.  In fact, the forest appeared unusually devoid of life.  

Mina was wondering whether there were really dark elves living in the Woods, and trying not to trip over her feet, when she thought she spotted a flash of chrome.  Then, a flash of what seemed to be grey robes.  Caradol!  What is he doing here?  As the figure disappeared behind a cluster of trees, Mina spoke to Elric and Kiushapo as softly as she could while still remaining audible, "I think I've spotted something.  Follow me."

She then headed towards the cluster of trees she had seen Caradol disappear behind, her hands remaining near her reagent pouches, in case Caradol decided to try anything.  


There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no passion; there is serenity.
There is no death; there is the Force.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 04, 2004, 12:57:22 AM
@Mina & Kiushapo:

((OOC: Mini-puppeting of Mina and Kiu a little ...))

"I think I've spotted something. Follow me."

Elric and Kiushapo obliged, and as Mina started heading towards the suspicious cluster of Larkentirs, it was now their turn to be straggling awkwardly sideways as they tried to keep up with Mina.

Cautiously and with one hand on her reagent pouch, Mina warily pulled apart a couple of slim Larkentirs with one hand, revealing --

"Stay back!"

It was the old man that all the guards were searching for. There he was, standing a little bent, an expression of bewilderment and hostility, his wrinkled face seemingly even more furrowed and buried in a sea of new folds. He held up his impressive chrome staff defensively in front of him.  



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Mina on February 04, 2004, 01:53:22 AM
"Stay back!"

Mina backed away in surprise, not having expected such a hostile response from the old man.  It was probably a good thing that most Ximaxian spells could not be cast instantaneously---he might have been fried by now were things otherwise.  

"We mean you no harm," she said warily, Unless you did cause the princess' disappearance. "We are merely searching for the princess." Her hands remained near her reagent pouches.  While she would hate to have to do anything to Caradol, losing what was probably an important source of information concerning the mystery was probably preferable to being beaten to death with a staff.  


There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no passion; there is serenity.
There is no death; there is the Force.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Kiushapo on February 04, 2004, 09:29:22 AM
Kiushapo stayed back from Mina and Caradol. Noticing that Mina was clutching her pouch, he recalled that mages needed components to cast spells. If she was a mage, he could he knew enough about magic to know he didn't want to be close to exploding things. Besides, just because this man hadn't been killed already didn't mean they weren't all going to be attacked in the next moment. He wanted room to swing.

With that thought in mind, he kept only half an eye on Caradol, letting Mina handle the questions as he eased his long-sword from his sheathe. He was reminded that flies were drawn to concentrations of flesh, and being four now, he had no doubt they made an even more tempting target.

Looking briefly to Elric, he just hoped the young soldier was ready to keep their attackers away from Mina long enough to let her cast a spell. If she was indeed a mage...


Simple answers to life's questioning. T'would be a greater magic that I have ever been seeing.
Kiushapo's Story



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Evelaria on February 04, 2004, 08:38:22 PM
Eve looked at the squirrels around her and sighed. "Oh, great."

She wanted to cut them up, but maybe she could use them. She didn't have any acorns, but what could a few squirrels do if Eve lied.

"Look, yeah, I am the Acorn Lady, now listen. If you help me find an empty spot in this forest near some huge stone pillars I will give you more acorns. How about it?"



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Fluffy Ramblers on February 04, 2004, 11:29:22 PM
Manymeals in front of the rat crowd held on and tried to figure out from which direction the strange who's were coming. The words didn't sound like a question. He tapped with his tail on the ground, producing a silent beat.
"Who! Who-who-who!!! Whoooo! Who-who!"
No, neither did the who's sound like a song. They just had no rhythm.

Manymeals had to face the truth. The words sounded like a threat.


-----
Squee! Squee!
The rat story



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 04, 2004, 11:59:22 PM
@Mina & Kiushapo:

"We mean you no harm, we are merely searching for the princess."

"The Princess?!" Caradol's voice sounded very, very aged, but it had a firm resonance to it. "Who are you?" He glanced quickly at the trio, odd position that they were in, and noticed the Royal Kyranian Guard's ingisnia on Elric's vest, which caused him to rasp severely, "You are working under the Prince?!"

The chrome staff seemed to attain a faint glow to it ... or was it their eyes playing tricks on them? It seemed that the glow pulsed slightly, before Elric spoke again stoutly with much wariness and suspicion on his face, "I am a Royal Guard. I serve the country. I --"

Before Elric could finish though, Caradol slightly raised his left arm, and Elric's face started to turn blue, his sword clanging to the ground as both hands clutched at his throat as he gasped out with much difficulty, "I ... can't ... breathe ... what ..." Caradol held his staff higher with his other hand, and made a warning, "Do not come forth any further!"

((OOC: Ok, not quite yet killing anybody yet, so, hold your reagents Mina ... there will soon be enough to fry for you, just not now ;) ))



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Mina on February 04, 2004, 11:39:22 PM
((OOC: Hey, that sounds suspiciously like my spell!  :p    ))

Mina's eyes widened as she noticed the staff's glow.  Surely this is magic.  Her suspicions were confirmed when caradol raised an arm, and Elric, at the same time, started having difficulty breathing.  This is not good...

She spoke to Caradol in a seemingly calm manner, though she was secretly worried that Caradol might be too powerful for her to handle, "Why do you fear the prince so?  Are you perhaps the one who caused the princess' disappearance?  In any case, Elric works under Lieutenant Dorrum, not the prince."

Her tone became more threatening as she raised her left arm, fingers outstretched and every one of them pointed right at Caradol.  The wind around her picked up, blowing her cloak back.  A simple demonstration of her powers, but hopefully enough to make Caradol think twice about what he was doing.  "Now, release him."

((OOC: Well, hurry up with the victims then.  I'm getting impatient.  :p    ))


There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no passion; there is serenity.
There is no death; there is the Force.

Edited by: Mina Aylwin at: 2/4/04 15:44


Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Cacunai on February 04, 2004, 11:50:22 PM
Yerun, that's who, she muttered at the wind. Suddenly she stopped and realized that that couldn't be just wind. That was something else. Finally, they were getting somewhere! She picked her way through the crowd of rats until she was standing at the end of the bunch where the trees were relatively denser than the rest of the forest. She made no sound, but looked back to the rats for confirmation.

Edited by: Cacunai at: 2/4/04 15:50


Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 05, 2004, 08:51:22 AM
@Eve:

"Look, yeah, I am the Acorn Lady, now listen. If you help me find an empty spot in this forest near some huge stone pillars I will give you more acorns. How about it?"

At the mention of "more acorns", all the Kuatus became visibly excited. The Kuatu in Eve's graps wriggled forcefully, "Yes! Yes! Big ... stone ... big ... stone ..."

Another Kuatu lept up and down spiritedly in front Eve, "Yes .. big ... stone ... we ... know ... we know!"

Eve let go of the Kuatu in her grasp, it landed gracefully on the ground, "Acorn Lady ... follow!"

The three Kuatus then seemingly converged together in a huddle, and chittered fiercely among themselves, and then suddenly, all three shot off and scampered towards a different direction -- all of them heading in the general direction of SouthWest, but in a clearly separated three-pronged way. As all three Kuatus disappeared into the woods, each of them could be heard chittering, "Follow! Follow! Follow ..."



Right ... state whether you proceed to follow Kuatu #1, #2 or #3. It doesn't matter how each one is differentiated, it's just for my reference, and also indirectly choosing what comes up for your character as well ;)



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 05, 2004, 09:02:22 AM
@Fluffy & Cacunai:

The sounds continued, growing in intensity and volume, "Who!! Whoo!! Whoo!! WHOOO!!!"

It continued as Cacunai carefully made her way to a dense cluster of Larkentirs hugging tightly at each other. As Cacunai turned back towards the now nervously scritching and pawing rats, suddenly, a feathery object brushed by the side of Cacunai's face at high speed. As Cacunai regained her composure, she realized that it was a large wood owl that had flown out of the dense cluster of Larkentirs.

It was too late though. Out of two other different directions flew out two more wood owls, and both swept down at the panicking and scattering congregation of rats, each of them managing to sweep up two unfortunate rodents in their claws, disappearing into the ominous rows of Larkentirs once more.

The third one was swiftly heading straight for a shocked and stunned Smuggles.  



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Fluffy Ramblers on February 06, 2004, 05:41:22 AM
Smuggles stood motionless, not believing her eyes. Owls were not supposed to be awake during the day. Every rat and mice knew that, it was one of the lessons they had to learn in order to survive.

Smuggles looked at the owl that was about to snap her. "Owls sleep during the day!" - she thought: "Owls sleep during the day! Owls sleep during the day!!!"

Sparky made his way through the panicking rats to save his Smuggles. He ran, dodging those who got in his way and squeaking angrily. As he was few steps away from her, the shadow of the owl appeared on the ground. "Get down!" - he shouted and sprang to push Smuggles aside.


-----
Squee! Squee!
The rat story



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Evelaria on February 06, 2004, 09:39:22 AM
Eve sighed as each of the Kuatu's ran off along a different trail. They were probably faster than her so she didn't have much time to sit around and choose. They had all ran off in the same direction so she didn't think she could go wrong. Eve placed her axes back in their latches and ran off following the one she had held in her hands earlier.

"Don't go so fast!" she shouted.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 07, 2004, 12:40:22 AM
@Eve:

"Don't go so fast!"

Rushing blindly amongst the Larkentirs in order to try to keep up with the speeding Kuatu. The scurrying Kuatu found it comical for some reason, that a human was lumbering after it in a frantic fashion, and made little spurts of encouraging chitters to "cheer" Eve along.

It must have been several Peds as Eve sped along on the trail of the Kuatu, who cheekily stopped briefly ever so often to allow Eve to catch up, and then zipped off again, leading Eve forward, finding it of the greatest amusement.

That was until Eve suddenly heard what sounded like a shapr instrument slicing the air and then a sharp yelp. As Eve skidded to a halt, she saw the body of the mischievious Kuatu staked to the ground with an arrow that reminded her of the arrows that flew at her and Helli the night before.

It was deathly silent all around her, except for the ever present rustling of the Larkentirs. If there was the presence of another or others around, Eve couldn't hear, nor see it.

Something in the air had changed though, but Eve could not put a precise finger on what that was. It felt like Eve had arrived close to something ... and it was too close for comfort for someone ... or something. It was apparent that the archer's aim was quite accurate. If he or she or it could hit a small, fast-moving target like a hyperactive Kuatu, it naturally would not be a problem to hit Eve while she was stumbling through the woods. But apparently that did not happen. Perhaps this was a good time for Eve to turn back, or ... take her chances and venture further, perhaps trying to hail her hidden watchers.



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.

Edited by: Khiera at: 2/6/04 18:24


Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 07, 2004, 03:38:22 AM
@Cacunai & Fluffy:

((OOC: Right Nai, i'll puppet you a little to get the plot moving ...))

The owl's menacing yellow eyes glinted hungrily at a stunned Smuggles, feeling smug of joining its companions in the branches with its own rat meal very soon. It watched another rat -- Sparky -- bounding towards Smuggles as it simultaneously swooped down, it's talons flexing for the kill.

Sparky's forceful push sent Smuggles tumbling aside, but Sparky himself was now merely a nailsbreadth from the swooping talons hovering right at its whiskers ... Sparky closed his eyes, preparing for the inevitable.

And then a loud deafening shriek rang out in front of Sparky, followed by a dusty thud and the scrambling of pattering feet and a fearful chorus of scritches.

As Sparky nervously opened his eyes, he saw the owl now crashed onto the ground, twitching in pain, one of Cacunai's darts embedded in its body.

Cacunai stepped up towards the shuddering rats, now noisily excited (probably because of being grateful for not having become a meal as two of their comrades had), "Well come on now ..." She shrugged and tried to convey sympathy, "I'm sorry about the other rats ... but we should get moving ... which direction now? I don't like these woods. Moving targets are harder targets."



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 07, 2004, 04:07:22 AM
@Mina & Kiushapo:

((OOC: Right Kiu, a little puppeting of you as well to get the plot moving before Mina fries my hair off ;) ))

The air started to get tense, crackling faintly with magic. Elric was still choking desparately for air, clawing at his throat now, and Kiushapo groaned inwardly, not wishing to either be choked, or hit by whatever the two mages were going to send out against each other. Mina looked extremely impressive with the wind billowing slightly around her at her command, and Kiushapo rejoiced at the fact that he had picked a capable ally, hoping that he lived past this day to rejoice further.

"Why do you fear the prince so? Are you perhaps the one who caused the princess' disappearance? In any case, Elric works under Lieutenant Dorrum, not the prince. Now, release him."

A sign of surprise crossed the old man's face, "Dorrum?" But he subsequently lowered his hand, and Elric collapsed in relief to the ground, sucking in deep breaths of blessed air as Kiushapo knelt down to make sure Elric was alright, as he looked up towards Mina and the old man to reaffirm Mina's words, "She is being telling the truth. We are aiding Lieutanent Dorrum."

The old man set his staff firmly on the ground. The hostility in his expression receeded somewhat, but he was still wary as he spoke to Mina, "I have no time to waste, young mage. I have no part in the Princess' disappearance, but I may never see her safe return if i am obstructed now!" He cast another wary glance at the trio, "You do not know what you are dealing with. Head back now! You are in grave danger! You must stop the Prince from entering the woods, not get lost within the woods yourselves! How can you --" He glimpsed at Kiushapo, " -- mercenaries, and a naive --" He look towards a still gasping Elric, "-- boy, know the scale of what is going on!" Anger now swept across the old man's face, "The Prince does not want to see the return of the Princess!"








Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Mina on February 07, 2004, 05:48:22 AM
Mina lowered her arm as well, glad that there was no need to throw lightning bolts at the old man.  Things might have gotten very bad if a fight had broken out, especially if Caradol was an archmage or something.  And he certainly looked old enough to be one.  

"The Prince does not want to see the return of the Princess!"

"Why would the prince not want to see his sister's return?  Are you saying that he caused the princess' disappearance?  And what reason might he have for doing such a thing? " Mina asked, puzzled, and still a little suspicious of Caradol.  "And if that is indeed the case, how are we to stop him?  We cannot possibly take on his guards by ourselves."  


There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no passion; there is serenity.
There is no death; there is the Force.



Title: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Evelaria on February 07, 2004, 05:58:22 AM
Eve jumped upon hearing the animal's shrill cry and she turned around, stopped dead in her tracks to see who was the culprit. Her beaded braids flew in her face as her body came to a screeching halt. Keen eyes searched through the darkness, finding nothing but trees  which seemed evil enough to do such an act, but they had no weapons to carry out this task.

Instinctly Eve lifted her axes and held them close to her chest. Closing her eyes her clerical powers slowly took control enhancing the woman's senses and her agility and even her strength. She opened her now darkened eyes to the dark forest and slowly took a step forward, lifting the arrow from the Kuatu's body. She looked at the arrow, inspecting it. This was not the arrow of a barbarian person; it seemed to highly specialized for what she knew of these elves. But then again, Thaetum had told her that they were not barbaric. Where was Thaetum?

Eve's eyes trailed from the arrow to the trail before her. She would continue; this was not going to sway her path. Taking a few steps forward the woman continued...



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 07, 2004, 01:00:22 PM
An eerie silence cloaked the woods in gloom. Thaetum was no where to be seen.

With cautious steps, Eve continued her steps forward. Awashed with the strength of heightened senses blessed by her Mullog God, the rustling gew louder in Eve's ears, but Eve also could, ever so faintly, hear sounds that were distinctly not of any form of rustling or animal cry.

Those sounds were all around her, as if there were numerous beings or figures steathily skulking around her, but they made no announcement of their presence in anyway, as if they were watching her, waiting for an opportune moment to strike.

But perhaps Eve could strike first.  



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Evelaria on February 07, 2004, 11:09:22 PM
The sounds continued to grow in the warrior's ears. There was nothing she could do to get them to stop. She tried to make out the sounds; footsteps. The soft footsteps of a warrior or a group of warriors who were not new to this kind of hunt. Eve then heard a new sound, as though someone was breathing near her. She turned around swiftly, but her eyes caught sight of nothing. She raised one of her axes in front of her face to deflect any arrows that would come her way; and kept the other down at her side.

She didn't know what was going on. But she knew that this was not just some kind of animal or that it was no human. It had to be the elves; only they were gifted to be so smooth in their movements. Eve had dodged their arrows before; she could do it again. She continued to walk, turning every now and then to see if anything was behind her.

The silence was defeaning to Eve, she couldn't take it any longer. "Show yourself and face me like a true warrior. Only cowards who fear death lurk in the shadows!"  



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Fluffy Ramblers on February 08, 2004, 01:33:22 AM
"And so our march begins..." - thought Manymeals with sorrow: "Why have I agreed to lead them? Why? It's my fault four of them are dead now." He turned around and approached Fuzzytail. "Tell the Big One, we go on South-East. That's the way..." - he said in a low voice.

"So you think whatever paradise we seek is worth it? Worth all the the deaths?" - Manymeals asked  SmoothFur a bit later: "Was your life with the bear and that strange witch so bad?


-----
Squee! Squee!
The rat story



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 08, 2004, 02:14:22 AM
@Eve:

"Show yourself and face me like a true warrior. Only cowards who fear death lurk in the shadows!"

Silence filled the air. Even the faint sounds of movement had ceased. Eve was about to shout out once more, when the deliberate cracking of a twig could be heard, as if someone was stepping on a branch for the express purpose of announcing their presence in a sinister manner.

And then a raspy, sharp male voice sounded out from the cluster of Larkentirs, apparently directed towards Eve, "And those who lurk in the shadows deliver death to those who don't!" The voice sounded eeriely disembodied, and Eve could not quite make out a figure which the voice belonged to in front of her.

"Leave the woods now human! We do not want your dishonourable kind in the woods of our home! Turn back now, for one more step forth will bring you death like so many others!"

The voice was laced with a heavy accent, but the words rang clear and loud. It was evident that the speaker intended to fulfill every word of his threat.



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Cacunai on February 08, 2004, 05:04:22 AM
OOC: Fwee! Good choice of action Khi!

IC:

The elf followed the rodents' directions, turning Southeast as they indicated. She wondered what she would find in these woods. Probably some foe or other, definitely not the princess, she'd have to get through rather a lot of trouble before the princess appeared. Then of course the princess may not even want to leave... ah, what a delightful tangle this had all become.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 08, 2004, 12:05:22 PM
@Fluffy & Cacunai:

The general mood was grim and morose with the flighted demise of four rats. Still, the rats plowed on, after suitably dismembering the twitching body of the one fell owl in ... an agonizing way.

And so the rats marched on, with a wary Cacunai trailing closely behind, and a slouching (quite an odd sight for a rat to slouch, really, with some rat experts terming it alternatively as "Propped Bottom Display") Manymeals "leading" the pack.

"So you think whatever paradise we seek is worth it? Worth all the the deaths? Was your life with the bear and that strange witch so bad?"

SmoothFur looked at Manymeals in astonishment. "But Great One, there is no glory without sacrifice!" SmoothFur proclaimed with much conviction. It clearly signalled the beginnings of a religious declamation with much fervour and gusto, "The crazy woman was nice to us, the bear was afraid of us, but our true place is with --"

The loud groans of a figure coming visibly into the view of Cacunai and the rats interrupted SmoothFur's little speech. It was a young man with dishevelled dark brown hair and a grimy face. Certain parts of his sleeves and breeches were torn and tattered. He seemed to be rolling on the ground in pain, an arrow was lodged bloodily in his shoulder blades. The wounded young man cried out loudly, hysterically even, "No! Go away! Go away you foul beasts!! NO!!"  



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Cacunai on February 08, 2004, 12:52:22 PM
Oh Elath...

Cacunai drew in a sharp breath at the sight of the young man and his terrible state. She hurried forward to meet him, putting out a hand to touch him. Her power as a healer was only her herbs and her kind touch, for the most part, but her great-great-great grandmother was an earth mage... mayb she had inherited some small inner peace. The healer in her spoke confidently. It's those elves we heard about I bet. The scholar snorted. Don't jump to conclusions. It could be anyone. Healer-Cacunai batted aside all protestations and instructed her hands to place themselves onto the young man's back to hold him still while she inspected his wound....

OOC: -wonders if the man will shriek and run away or stay to be healed-



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Fluffy Ramblers on February 09, 2004, 03:57:22 AM
Ramblers gathered around Cacunai, hoping that she knew what she does. Fuzzytail, who noticed the arrow in the shoulder of the man, looked around feeling that there was some danger nearby. He remembered the arrows that flew from the woods when they were on the way to the crazy witch's shack.

"Be careful," - he said to Shurshing: "I don't like this..."  


-----
Squee! Squee!
The rat story



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 09, 2004, 05:17:22 AM
@Fluffy & Cacunai:

As Cacunai approached the wounded young man and placed a hand on him, he closed his eyes, and started to groan loudly in pain. His breathing was erratic, and the gaping wound made by the arrow staked in his shoulder blade seemed fresh and raw. As Cacunai inspected his wound, she noticed a small feathered dart -- similar to the ones she carried with her -- lodged at the back of the young man's neck. The visible part of its tip gleaned with what seemed like a coat of liquid or application of some kind of substance ...

Suddenly, the young man's eyes flew open and he shot unsteadily to his feet, knocking Cacunai down to the ground. With a fearful expression now in addition to his pained look, the young man stumbled weakly backwards, away from Cacunai and the pack of curious sniffing rats, one hand clutching his shoulder blade, and the other hand pointing shakily at Cacunai and the rats as he hysterically shouted out with a crazed look flaming in his eyes, "No ... no ... stay away!! Stay away foul demon creature!! Stay away you ... you ... gigantic ants!! For the love of Ava! STAY AWAY!!"  



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Evelaria on February 09, 2004, 07:03:22 PM
Eve heard the voice and it chilled every part of her body. She let her weapons down and gathered up enough courage to speak back to the voice.

"Why must I leave?! I have done you no harm! You are the one who would leave if you would spill my innocent blood. Yes, I am a warrior and yes I am a human, but I am one filled with honor and loyalty. Whatever treacheries have befallen your people in the past perhaps it is time to let go of those things and walk in a new light. And you can start out by showing yourself to me."

She stepped forward, intent on getting to her destination. Unwilling to turn down at the blank threats of a coward.  



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 10, 2004, 09:33:22 AM
@Eve:

Silence was the only reply that greeted Eve's words. Neither could she detect any more faint sounds of movement. It seemed that whoever spoke, had remained motionless.

Even began to step forward. She made her first step. Then put a foot in front of another and made her second step. Then the third step. The fourth step. The fifth --

And it was then that the view in front of Eve burst into a blossom of arrows, whizzing swiftly towards Eve, and it seemed that on that fateful day the Mullog warrior Evelaria Magoo would be impaled by a rush of arrows that would send her Queprurs way.

But just before the first approaching arrow could pierce through Eve's throat, Eve felt the rough grasp of what felt like two large hands on her, and after the sounds of deflected arrows, Eve found herself landing hard on the ground with the face of an angry Thaetum atop of her and breathing down on her, snarling, "What in Arvins name! ARE YOU MAD, WOMAN?!?!"

The rain of arrows seem to have ceased.  



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 10, 2004, 09:51:22 AM
@Mina & Kiushapo:

"Why would the prince not want to see his sister's return? Are you saying that he caused the princess' disappearance? And what reason might he have for doing such a thing? And if that is indeed the case, how are we to stop him? We cannot possibly take on his guards by ourselves."

Caradol's brows furrowed, creasing the lines on his face even deeper. He was apparently not pleased nor amused by Mina's words. His tone was impatient, "The Prince had indeed caused the disappearance of the Princess! And what do you think you can do? Stop the Prince? All will be for naught if i can find no trace of the Princess! The Prince intends to burn the woods --" But at that very instant, Caradol could manage only a pained groan as an arrow that had seemingly materialized from thin air pierced through Caradol's shoulder, and he slumped to the ground.

Then, arrows filled the air all around Mina, Kiushapo and Elric, the glinting points of their sharp tips singing of death.

Perhaps the arrows were let flung in haste, for they didn't seem to be aimed at their targets quite well, as some hit the trunks of the surrounding Larkentirs, causing blood red sap to flow. But four arrows were whizzing towards Mina from head to toe, three at Kiushapo, and four more at Elric. Whatever they thought of to do to deflect the arrows, they had better do it fast.  



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Kiushapo on February 11, 2004, 11:11:22 AM
Everything was happening so fast. First they were attacked by a mage, learned that the prince was behind the princess disappearing, and now it seemed the elves of the forest had shown up.

Kiushapo went over this in the split second he had to jump into a roll away from the three arrows heading his way, gaining not one, but two new holes in his vest as he scrambled to the cover of a tree.

He wasn't sure where the arrows were coming from, so he kept moving, hopping from the cover of one tree to another, trying to spot their attackers.  


Simple answers to life's questioning. T'would be a greater magic that I have ever been seeing.
Kiushapo's Story



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Cacunai on February 11, 2004, 10:23:22 AM
Rat, get your people out of sight.

She had never learned the names of the rattish ensemble, and now she knew only that one of them was the leader of this pack. Gigantic ants? The only thing that could remotely be strung to was the rats. She remained where she had fallen, looking up at the man, not wanting to upset him.

Hush... we are no enemies, I am a healer and if you'll sit down here, I can help you feel better.

She patted the soft loam alongside her and beckoned to the man, treating him as she would a small child. Clearly he was not in his right mind, and would need to treated cautiously if at all.

Edited by: Cacunai at: 2/11/04 2:23


Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Evelaria on February 11, 2004, 08:14:22 PM
Eve gasped as the first few arrows started to fly at her. She closed her eyes, knowing that she had not chosen her words wisely and began to make peace with Queprur, when she felt something throw her down and when she opened her eyes she was greeted by the imposing eyes of Thaetum. He didn't look too happy; but a wide grin found its way across Eve's face.

She looked up at Thaetum. "Oh, thank you...I doubted I was going to make it. Now, if you don't mind getting off of me. Now is not the time to do these kinds of things, nor is it the place. What took you so long? I might've made it without being attacked if you were here. These are your woods not mines, you know how to talk to these people."

She reached under her, suddenly feeling a tinge of pain, and she felt her axe poking her utt. It wasn't stabbing her, just jutting into her rear. She tried to push Thaetum off of her and crawl away from him. She wasn't about to stand up, not yet. "What do we do now?"



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Fluffy Ramblers on February 12, 2004, 02:37:22 AM
"Hmm,  we better do what the Big One said," - commanded Manymeals to his followers: "Stay away from this weirdo. Who knows what's happened to him."
"Giant ants, bah! And who's that Ava he's talking about anyway?" - thought the rat.

Unnoticed by SmoothFur, he came to Sparky and spoke to him for the first time since the accident with the bear: "I'm sorry," - he said: "I think it's wasn't a good idea to go into these woods. I think we should try to get out of here as soon as we have a chance..."


-----
Squee! Squee!
The rat story



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 12, 2004, 09:07:22 AM
@Fluffy & Cacunai:

((OOC: I'm going to introduce you to the nice elves of the woods in my next post Nai & Fluffy ... but let's see what happens with this one first *grin*))

"Hush... we are no enemies, I am a healer and if you'll sit down here, I can help you feel better."

The wounded young man tried to stand up straight, but pain shot through every inch of his body, and he trembled and shook, his now bloodshot eyes staring hostilely at Cacunai. There seem to be a look of confusion on his face, but it was overshadowed by his expression of fear, anger and hatred.

He noticed Cacunai's pointed ears. It was ... one of them! "You ... you cursed butchers! You foul demon creature!! DIE!!!" With that, he lunged forward at Cacunai, his fists with arched fingers and knuckles crackling, heading straight for Cacunai's throat.

The rats, heeding Manymeal's command, had skittered away from the young man in a random, disorderly fashion. SmoothFur had started heading towards Manymeals after noticing that Manymeals had left her side, and was now in the direct path of the lunging young man. SmoothFur turned a sheen paler than her fur, and then, strangely, started running towards the young man itself. It seemed like a suicidal thing to do ... the rats around started shrieking in terror. How can any of them die before they get make sure that there was a Ratty paradise in the afterlife waiting for them??



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 12, 2004, 09:22:22 AM
@Eve:

"Oh, thank you...I doubted I was going to make it. Now, if you don't mind getting off of me. Now is not the time to do these kinds of things, nor is it the place. What took you so long? I might've made it without being attacked if you were here. These are your woods not mines, you know how to talk to these people."

Thaetum growled at Eve's grinned words. He didn't find anything that was of a laughable matter. What was it with women??? "What's the matter with you, woman?? Are you really mad?! You were this close to joining Queprur, for crying out loud!"

Thaetum picked himself up with a snarl. Turning towards the direction where the arrows had shot from, he yelled out at an invisible someone, "Leave her alone! She's a little mad but she knows honour! Cut out all this butchering and killing alreayd, will you?!" It was as if Thaetum was speaking to an irate child.

A louder shuddering of the Larkentirs was heard, and a tall, almost wraithlike figure stepped out from the clutches of silver leaves.

It was unmistakably an elf. A tall, gangly looking one. His face seemed dusted with a coat of silver dust or pigment, and his violet eyes gleamed piercingly. He was clothed in the usual woodman's garb, and in his hands was an elegant bow of an odd design, along with a quiver of arrows slung over his back.

His voice was the raspy, sharp voice that had warned and threatened Eve. "Honour?? They plan to burn down our woods now, on top of every atrocity that they have commited!" His violet eyes swerved swiftly and rested upon Eve's figure on the ground, as if demanding an answer.



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Cacunai on February 12, 2004, 11:02:22 AM
The young man's fingers closed around Cacunai's throat before she could react, quick as she was. She managed to choke out,

Do I look like an elf of evil?!

before her breath was too limited to speak. She knew the man was weak from his wounds, and she hated to injure him even more, but to end the danger to her own life, she did what she had to do. Her hand dropped to her dagger and the sharp blade flashed even in the weak sunlight; she thrust it forward toward the man's thigh. Cacunai did not aim to kill or even seriously injure, only to startle him into letting go of her long enough for her to scramble to her feet. She never saw the rat....



Title: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Evelaria on February 12, 2004, 09:21:22 PM
"What's the matter with you, woman?? Are you really mad?! You were this close to joining Queprur, for crying out loud!"

Eve knew that Thaetum was not going to find humor in her words, but she had to speak humorous to keep her mind off of that very fact.

"Leave her alone! She's a little mad but she knows honour! Cut out all this butchering and killing alreayd, will you?!"

Eve smiled. "Thank you...I suppose. I am sorry for finding humor in this. It is just my way of keeping cool become other brutal feelings overtake me and I go on a mad killing spree."
"Honour?? They plan to burn down our woods now, on top of every atrocity that they have commited!"


Evelaria looked up at the gangly elf who held the articulate bow and arrows, and she gasped. It was an incredible sight, that met her every idea yet was not quite what she expected.

"They? Who is they? You speak to me as though I am the same as the others. Not all humans are hateful and evil. We are capable of love, capable of care, capable of giving life. I have not come here to destroy your home, or to exploit your people. I come here seeking a simple answer to a tragic mystery," she said boldly as she stood up.  



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Mina on February 13, 2004, 08:00:22 AM
Mina held out her right arm, as if reaching for the arrows.  She then pulled it back slightly, tracing a circle with her hand, and pushed it forward again.  The arrows flew past, just missing her, then circled around her, and, as she pushed her arm forward, shot back towards where they had come from.  

Though she had managed to deflect the arrows this time, Mina wasn't confident of being able to do so again, especially if there were more arrows the next time.  Thinking quickly, she asked the archers, who she assumed to be the dark elves living within the forests, "Shouldn't you be trying to stop the prince from burning your forest?  Why are you attacking us instead?"  

A moment later, Mina realised something.   I guess we have found a way to stop the prince...if Caradol was telling the truth.  

A few moments after that...Caradol!  He's hurt!

Mina rushed over to the old mage and knelt down by his side.  "This is going to hurt, but I'm afraid I don't really have a choice," she said as she reached for the arrow that was embedded in Caradol's shoulder.  


There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no passion; there is serenity.
There is no death; there is the Force.

Edited by: Mina Aylwin at: 2/13/04 14:52


Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 13, 2004, 09:01:22 AM
@Eve:

"They? Who is they? You speak to me as though I am the same as the others. Not all humans are hateful and evil. We are capable of love, capable of care, capable of giving life. I have not come here to destroy your home, or to exploit your people. I come here seeking a simple answer to a tragic mystery,"

Thaetum thought that Eve was quite insane. Here she was given a chance to just walk away and she had to speak up defiantly to those who held her life at its teetering edge.

The elf glared back at Eve. He spoke before Thaetum could drag Eve away curtly to one side. "Tragic? Mystery? Ah, you speak of the unfortunate human child!" He laughed. A chilling, raspy sound. "Greedy you are, you humans, mercenaries, all of you!" He started to step forward menacingly, an arm reaching behind into his quiver of arrows, when another voice -- aged and firm -- rang out behind him, "Let her be. The half-elf Thaetum speaks for her. We shall trust him, for he keeps his word."

The tall gangly elf was displeased by this, gave one last piercing glower at Eve, and stepped back reluctantly, "We will be watching ... human." amazingly blending among the Larkentirs and vanishing in an instant.

Now a visibly upset and cranky Thaetum faced Eve, "Fool of a woman, you got lucky!" He spat on the ground, and cocked his head to look at Eve in a resigned manner, "I s'ppose you are not leaving the woods no matter what. What is this damnated place that you are looking for in the woods again?"  



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Fluffy Ramblers on February 13, 2004, 09:10:22 AM
Manymeals just stood in a kind of inner trance and watched how SmoothFur moved in front of the human's feet until he felt a prod from Sparky: "Come on, save her. Or else will sacrifice herself for the glory of her people. What a foolish skrrrk!" - said the leader of the pack.

Manymeals ran to SmoothFur, took her by the paw and pulled away from the human and the elven woman: "Don't you ever try to do that again!"  - he shouted at her:  Did you think you'll be a hero or something?!"


-----
Squee! Squee!
The rat story



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 13, 2004, 01:00:22 PM
@Fluffy & Cacunai:

((OOC: Gah ... i keep looking and fawning at Fluffy's avatar ... kxxxkxxxkxxxkxxxkxxx ...))

Cacunai throttled out, with the young man's hands clenching her throat, "Do I look like an elf of evil?!"

What the young man heard though, in his crazed state of mind was, "I will kill you, human!" Which, spurred him on to grapple Cacunai's neck even harder, until a sudden plunge of Cacunai's dagger into his thigh made him howl in pain and arch backwards, freeing Cacunai who scrambled hastily to her feet.

Suddenly, the young man's body stiffened, and then he collapsed face down onto the forest ground. He was dead. An arrow stuck ominously out of his back.

A loud rustling was heard, and before Cacunai even knew it, a figure had appeared by her side. It was the figure of an apparent male elf, only slightly taller than Cacunai, an ornate bow and arrow in hand. Were it not for the odd silvery sheen on his face and a pair of deep, twinkling violet eyes, he would have seen like any other elf.

He eyed the startled Cacunai with a smirk, his voice rang out sounding youthful but with a chilling hollow edge to it, "Wretched humans, isn't it so?"

Meanwhile, an irate SmoothFur was rebuking Manymeal's gallant but unfortunately unappreciated effort in her rescue, sqhitching back (that's rat-shouting), "Great One! Why did you stop me! Sacrifice can only --" She paused in mid-sentence, as the male elf seemingly appeared out of thin air besides Cacunai. SmoothFur noticed his gleaming violet eyes, and started to tremble in excitement, and then proceeded to sqitched out loudly to the confused congregation of rats, "It is the Guardian Big Ones! They have come! They have come! The Prophecy is true! We must all gather in worship!"

The other rats looked around in puzzlement amongst each other, especially at Manymeals, awaiting a direction or command.



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Evelaria on February 13, 2004, 03:52:22 PM
"Tragic? Mystery? Ah, you speak of the unfortunate human child!"

The elf's laugh chilled Eve's bones and caused her to grimace. The unfortunate human child? So, he did know something of it. When the elf prepared to attack Eve she did not budge. She would stand firm, she had come here seeking something...she wouldn't turn back now. Then the voice came, it actually was a relief to the warrior. She didn't know if the other elf would truly kill her or was just threatening her.

"I s'ppose you are not leaving the woods no matter what. What is this damnated place that you are looking for in the woods again?"

Eve sighed and looked up at Thaetum. "I was seeking the Sorcerer's Stones where the sorcerers of the Silver Hand tried to seek immortality. But now my path has changed. I wish to seek out the truth behind the disappearance of this young girl...Princess Nalaere."



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 14, 2004, 02:23:22 AM
@Mina & Kiushapo:

Elric swung his sword and amazingly deflected the approaching arrows with clean strikes. For someone incredibly clumsy and under-coordinated with everything else, Elric seemed to be quite a wonder with a sword in hand.

His face still flushed with choking, Elric got back up on his feet and surveyed his surroundings cautiously, and thankfully, the rain of arrows seemed to have ceased, but there was a strange sense of the presence of others ... even though Elric could detect no other visible figures besides them. He caught sight of Kiushapo ducking from tree to tree. No! Elric grimaced within himself. Didn't i tell them to stay close to one another?? This is bad. He was relieved that at least Mina was still close by, but now they had a wounded old mage with them. Elric stood and brandished his sword uncertainly, not knowing who or what to aim for. He started motioning for Kiushapo to make his way back to Mina and himself.

As Kiushapo started to step forward, he suddenly felt the cold edge of sharp steel pressed against his throat. And then a sweet but chillling female voice rang out threateningly, with a strange accent, "My Yilthrem! Return it to me!"

Elric saw a dark, slim figure appear in a flash and held Kiushapo at knife point, and attempted to rush to his aid, but loud rustling was heard, and a blur of figures -- about 10 visible figures -- suddenly appeared surrounding the trio and Caradol, arrows notched and aimed. It had became apparent that the trio could defend themselves. More "straightforward" measures were thus needed. They were all clad in the garb of woodland rangers, and were unmistakably tall and slim elves. Their faces had an odd silvery sheen of coating, and their eyes were of deep, glinting violet.

Caradol had winced when Mina reached for the arrow in his shoulder. but before Mina could attempt to do anything with it, suddenly three more tall figures had aimed the sharp points of notched arrows at close range at the two magi.

Caradol muttered under his breath in pain at Mina, in answer to her question, "Because, foolish young one, if the Princess is alive she needs to be saved!"

The female voice behind Kiushapo sounded out harshly, "Silence!" and silence was enforced by the sharp tips of aimed arrows. She demanded angrily at Kiushapo once more, "My Yilthrem! Return it to me!"



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.

Edited by: Khiera at: 2/13/04 18:29


Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 14, 2004, 03:44:22 AM
@Eve:

((OOC: A little puppeting of Eve to save an extra post from you ...))

"I was seeking the Sorcerer's Stones where the sorcerers of the Silver Hand tried to seek immortality. But now my path has changed. I wish to seek out the truth behind the disappearance of this young girl...Princess Nalaere."

Thaetum scoffed. "I've been searching years! I've scoured every inch of these bloody woods, and the only place i haven't ... didn't want to get anywhere close to were those creepy stones ..." He shrugged. "I can tell you that you won't be finding the Princess for the next 10 years going through these woods! I s'ppose i have no choice but to head to them stones. Come along now ... before it gets dark." Thaetum turned and headed forward. Something told him that Eve would follow.

As Eve turned to trail after Thaetum, the elf that had appeared and then retreated into the Larkentirs growled to himself. And then, let fly an almost silent arrow towards Eve.

The arrow sliced through the air, heading straight for Eve's right shoulder.  



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Cacunai on February 14, 2004, 10:29:22 AM
It is so.

Difficult as it was, Cacunai managed to conceal her surprise at the sudden appearance of a fellow elf - yet he was not her fellow. This was an elf who knew not the concept of fear. This was a dark elf of the Shivering Woods... the logicist in Cacunai prodded her sharply. Don't assume that. The rest of her snorted. Can't you ever let us take a chance?
No, logicist-Cacunai replied stubbornly.

Cacunai cocked her head and gazed, intrigued, at the newcomer. There were people here, and they would know where the princess was. But did the princess matter anymore?



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Fluffy Ramblers on February 14, 2004, 11:18:22 PM
"Guardians?! Worship!?" - shouted Manymeals losing his temper: "Look at these arrows! They have shot at us before! They tried to kill us!" - his voice got so thin and loud that everyone in a mile radius could hear it: "Shouldn't we rather run away, huh?! What does your prophecy say about that?!

Manymeals pointed with his hand at the rats who gathered around them: "It's your people, do you want them all to be dead?! Stew for those Biggies?! Skrrrchk! The paradise is of no use if there's noone left to live in it!"


-----
Squee! Squee!
The rat story



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 15, 2004, 07:54:22 AM
@Fluffy & Cacunai:

The chittering of the rats suddenly turned into a heavy blanket of stunned silence. Their Great Mouphet had spoken, and he was angry. SmoothFur was speechless as well, her pure white fur looking a little ruffled as her whiskers twitched in utter confusion.

The male elf sauntered leisurely to the now dead young man, pulled the impaled arrow out of back of the body, and tossed it to the side non-chalantly. He then turned and looked at Cacunai and the  congregation of stunned rats like furry miniature statues that surrounded her, his eyes lingering a little longer on the particular rat that had squeaked in an extremely high-pitched and antagonized screech.

He glanced towards Cacunai, his violet eyes flashing, "And the purpose of you stumbling about in our woods with a pack of rats trailing is --?"

And then, with Manymeals still huffing and puffing in a temper, the male elf reached down and scooped Manymeals gently into a palm, bringing Manymeals close towards his face, and staring down upon the puzzled and panicking rat, "And what ails you, my ... squeaking friend?"



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.

Edited by: Khiera at: 2/15/04 0:17


Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Kiushapo on February 15, 2004, 11:28:22 AM
As he was making his way back to Elric's side, Kiushapo suddenly found himself with a dagger to his throat. Even before she spoke, the body pressed against him told him it was a woman. After she spoke, he couldn't help but be curious as to who she was.

A little pre-occupied with trying not to breath too deeply, her insistent question was lost to him the first time.

"My Yilthrem! Return it to me!"

Turning his head slightly, he tried to make his voice smooth and calming, "Yilthrem? I am afraid I have never been hearing of this thing. You will have to be explaining what it is looking like, or what it is being. And maybe you could be letting me go as well, as much as I am enjoying this, I am thinking there are being easier ways of getting to be knowing each other."

He hoped she had a sense of humor, beheaded wasn't a look he thought he would enjoy.


Simple answers to life's questioning. T'would be a greater magic that I have ever been seeing.
Kiushapo's Story



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Cacunai on February 15, 2004, 02:35:22 PM
The rat cannot speak. Unless you understand the ways of the wild?

She gestured leisurely to the rat with a hand, while keeping the other near her blowpipe. Just because he had not attacked yet, did not mean the elf would not. She suspected her chances were better because she was alone and an elf, but could not afford to hinge her safety on that alone. Ah, but how to answer his question regarding her purpose? To tell the truth... aye. The odds were better. Besides - she may need to keep relations good with the elves of the forest.

I search for the lost princess, as so many others. The rats... well, I'm not actually sure why they're here.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Mina on February 15, 2004, 03:18:22 PM
Before Mina could do anything with the arrow, she found herself surrounded by a large group of elves.  The elves were unlike any she had seen before---tall, slim, with violet eyes not unlike those of a Xiamx cat and a strange silvery sheen on their faces.  And one of them was holding a blade at Kiushapo's throat.  

"My Yilthrem! Return it to me!"

Yilthrem?  What does she mean?  And why would we have anything that belongs to her?  We...wait a minute...

"Yilthrem?  You mean this?" Mina raised her hand slightly.  Her bag opened, and the strange piece of bark they had found earlier in the day floated into the air, slowly drifting towards the female elf.  


There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no passion; there is serenity.
There is no death; there is the Force.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 16, 2004, 02:09:22 AM
@Mina & Kiushapo:

The woman behind Kiushapo was not the least bit humoured by his words. She found it mocking, and rewarded the blonde elf with a harder press of her blade. Her voice seemed a little panicky at this point, "My Yilthrem! What have you done with it? I must have it back!" as she hissed menacingly.

As the trio got a closer look at the elves that had surrounded them, they realized that all the elves were female. Their rugged and heavy ranger garbs concealed feminine features well, and their physical characteristics seem to be more on the masculine side, but it was no mistake, that they were surrounded by a group of seemingly vicious female elves.

"Yilthrem? You mean this?"

There seemed to be the anticipatory swallow of breath around them as Mina spoke, and a piece of bark started floating in mid-air, slowly, towards a captive Kiushapo.

The female voice sounded out loudly, laced heavily with a mixture of concern and relief, "My Yilthrem!" There was a rustling behind Kiushapo, and then two more female elves stepped foward from behind their hiding place among the Larkentirs. The female voice sounded out again, and this time it was a direct order, "Hand it to them!" Meaning the two elves that had just revealed themselves.

Right at that moment Elric shouted out, "No! Don't! They will kill us all after they have gotten it! Don't you see???"  



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Evelaria on February 16, 2004, 02:32:22 AM
Eve followed behind Thaetum, careful to watch her steps when her ears picked up the slightest sound...it sounded as though something was whistling through the air. And something was...that something turned out to be an arrow. The arrow didn't hit Eve directly in her shoulder, it scathed her right shoulder because she had happened to dodge it a bit. The force from the arrow knocked her off balance and to the ground as she felt the deep cut in her shoulder. It was beginning to bleed, and blood was not something Eve liked. She grabbed her shoulder, applying as much pressure as she could, and tore a piece of cloth from her shirt off and tied it around her wound tightly.

Her eyes immediately began to dart around for her attacker. She had a feeling that it was the elf who was reluctant to allow them to pass, but she couldn't be sure. There were so many of these dark elves within these parts. Eve looked towards Thaetum quickly to see if he was alright.  



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Fluffy Ramblers on February 16, 2004, 05:50:22 AM
As the tall elf picked him up, Manymeasl puffed up his fur and chittered as dangerously as he could. "What ails me?! You! You! You shot at us! You're going to eat us!" - screamed the rat inside.

In the mean time Fuzzytail, who thought that the situaten requires a bit of his control, climbed up Cacunai's leg, then Cacunai's back until he was finally sitting on the elven woman's shoulder. Using it as a tribune, he spoke: "We are on a mission here - to find the great ratty paradise in the heart of these woods! - Fuzzytail took a pose he thought to be appropriate for a great leader. Then he continued a bit quietly: "And of course there is a little boy (though "little" I only use in comparison with the others of his kind, not my humble self or the fellow rats) who got lost somewhere here. Though "lost" may also be not quite correct, because he might very well have known where he was going to when he ran away from us. Though "us" isn't really the right word... anyway, have you seen him?"


-----
Squee! Squee!
The rat story



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 16, 2004, 07:35:22 AM
@Eve:

Thaetum took large striding steps forward, when he heard a whizzing sound in the air and then a loud thump to the ground. Instinctively, Thaetum fell flat to the ground on his belly, and it was a good thing that he had done as such, because the arrow that had narrowly missed impaling Eve in her shoulder would have bored a hole in Thaetum's head.

As the arrow hurtled deep into the trunk of a Larkentir, Thaetum cautiously got back up on his feet again, and spun round to see Eve with a wounded and coarsely wrapped shoulder. "By Arvins! Cursed elves!" He shook his fist at the empty air, but of course, you couldn't hit or retort to those that you couldn't see.

Holding out an arm, Thaetum gingerly and grudgingly spoke to Eve, unsuccessfully masking the concern in his voice, "Come now, stay close to me."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Thaetum and Eve trudged further along the woods, and thankfully, the elves seemed to have held off trying to mutilate or murder them. They had walked on for quite a while, in silence, as Thaetum was not a particularly chatty person, and both kept their eyes and ears peeled in anticipation of sudden attacks.

Suddenly, Eve's keen hearing heard what sounded like the soft crying and sobbing of a child, immediately to her right beyond a cluster of Larkentirs. Thaetum seemed to have not heard or noticed though, and continued walking forward.




Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 16, 2004, 09:00:22 AM
@Cacunai & Fluffy:

((OOC: Nice cute post Fluffy! :) ))

The male elf stared at the eloquent mouse that had perched itself on Cacunai's shoulders, his narrowed eyes belieing the incredulousness he felt.

Slowly, he placed the still chittering and puffed up Manymeals back on the ground, and approached Cacunai, bending down to look a statemanly Fuzzytail eye to eye. "A speaking rat! An intelligent one too, from the sound of its words!" He made a motion as if to reach out to scoop Fuzzytail up, but hesitated, and instead took two steps backwards, straightened himself up, and spoke again, this time to Cacunai, with a measured tone and a mischievious glint in his eyes, "I am Shartrelyend of the Tsváen’mol’khár. You must be a sorceress, with ... amazing speaking animals. Should i speak to you, or to your rats themselves?"

He gave a light-hearted chuckle as he swept another intrigued glance at the even more intrigued rats that stood like little furry mushrooms ... with the exception of one dancing around the feet of Shartrelyend in anger (Manymeals) and one perched lordly on Cacunai's shoulder. "Why would you have anything to do with a wretched human child of ..." He stared into the sky, voice dripping with disgust, " ... royalty. And a boy i have indeed seen, and still will see, if he had not been ... disposed of by my companions." A smile crossed his lips as he cocked his head slightly. It was hard to say whether the smile looked sinister, or teasing.  



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Cacunai on February 16, 2004, 12:55:22 PM
You killed the boy then, Shartrelyend? A pity. I do not harm the young, myself. In any case, you may speak to me or the mouse, it makes no difference. That's a mouse, by the way, as I'm sure you realize.

She gestured up to Fuzzytail, indicating he was the mouse she spoke of.

I search for the young human... not so young now, I would imagine... because her family offers a generous reward. Do you know anything about her whereabouts, Shartrelyend? Or is she dead as well?

OOC: SPS... oh the horror....

Edited by: Cacunai at: 2/16/04 4:56


Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Fluffy Ramblers on February 17, 2004, 01:05:22 AM
((Inspiration! I summon thee from the deepest... uh... deeps of my mind! Appear and help me write a decent post! Appear! Come on! Damn... ))

"Disp-p-posed?" - said Fuzzytail and his eyes sank. Yerun was a good boy, even though he seemed to like cats. Fuzzytail almost liked him.
"Like you have disposed of this man? But... but why? Are you going to eat him?" - asked the mouse sadly: "He didn't want to do any harm..."


-----
Squee! Squee!
The rat story



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 17, 2004, 02:22:22 AM
@Cacunai & Fluffy:

((OOC: Hmmm ... me thinks that someone should write an entry for the main site regarding SPS ... :wink2 ))

Shartrelyend threw his head back and laughed, his laughter reverberating throughout woods along with the rustling of the Larkentirs in an eerie, hollow way. "Dead? The boy? No, no." He smiled a dazzling smile at Cacunai, "We are ... distant kin, you and i, but not so distant ... i too, do not harm the young, what would be said of our kind if that was so? No, no, the boy, i saw, wandering blindly, in quite a distressed state, and i let him be ..." The corners of his lips curled slightly into a half-grin, "But i cannot speak for my companions. Their will to ... kill is not mine."

He walked over to a Larkentir and broke off the ends of a branch, red sap flowing from the broken joint. He stared at it leisurely, and then tossed it over his shoulder, turning once more to Cacunai, "Now, the royal human female, that is a different matter ... she is, shall i say, neither dead, nor alive." Winking at Fuzzytail, he presented the mouse with a broad grin, "And no, we believe that humans are not particularly ... a delicacy, if i may say ... but, rats are often on are mind every now and then, whenever we feel the pangs of hunger."

The surrounding rats chittered nervously as they heard of the possibility of being made into a meal. Guardians? Why would their Guardians want to ... eat them? Their confused and bewildered gazes now hopped between three rats ... err, two rats and a mouse -- SmoothFur, Manymeals and Fuzzytail. Fuzzytail had spoken up to the violet-eyed Big One, and he spoke in longed jumbled sentences, but he got the attention of the violet-eyed Big One. Manymeals and SmoothFur had been ignored. And Fuzzytail spoke the Big One's language! And now that they had realized that, he was actually a Mouse. Something began to click in their cheese-fantasy-filled heads: Mouse ... mouse ... mouse ... mousephet ... mousephet ... mouphet ... mouphet ...

SmoothFur, meanwhile, drooped down on all four, and looked forlornly at Manymeals.





Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Mina on February 17, 2004, 03:08:22 AM
Mina was about to send the piece of bark the elf had called a 'yilthrem' to the two newcomers when Elric shouted, "No! Don't! They will kill us all after they have gotten it! Don't you see???"

He does have a point. The bark is important to them...perhaps I can use it to my advantage.  

"Not so fast.  He is right.  How do we know that you will not attempt to harm us after I have returned it?" she said to the elf, "Withdraw first, then I will return your yilthrem."

It was admittedly a rather risky move.  The elves might decide to try kill her first, then retrieve the yilthrem.  Still, they were well aware that she was a mage, and magi tend to have ways of blowing things up...


There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no passion; there is serenity.
There is no death; there is the Force.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Cacunai on February 17, 2004, 04:12:22 AM
OOC: I wonder if they'd actually accept it if I did!

IC:


Good, then! I do not doubt your honor at least, Shartrelyend.

The news about the human princess made her raise a brow in partial worry, partial disappointment. If the princess was not alive, she could not possibly fetch the ransom. But if she was not dead, she could. Sheesh... had she been bitten by a vampire? Had Elath (C.'s goddess of death and water) taken her and these elves somehow fought the goddess off? Then they would be powerful indeed.... She was jerked back to reality by Shartrelyend joking (hopefully) about eating rats.

These rodents are under my protection. At least, six of them are. Fuzzytail, sir mouse, and... well, five of them.

Cacunai gestured vaguely out among the throng. She hadn't really been around the original group enough to recognize them on sight.

It is risking much to stand here, Shartrelyend. I wish to find both children of which I speak. Will you assist me?



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 17, 2004, 09:40:22 AM
@Cacunai:

"It is risking much to stand here, Shartrelyend. I wish to find both children of which I speak. Will you assist me?"

Shartrelyend chuckled again, and ambled around in front of Cacunai, "Risking much? Who? You, or I?" He tugged absent-mindedly at the string of his bow, "Assistance ... assistance ... and why should i assist you, distant kin of mine?"  



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Cacunai on February 17, 2004, 10:37:22 AM
I risk my safety and that of the boy. If you question lending aid to one of your people, distant as may be, then you will be little help to me, Shartrelyend.

She turned away from Shartrelyend, taking a gamble. Generally a man, well, anyone really, would stop her and say he didn't mean it like that or something similar. However he may just shrug and walk away. She did hope he wouldn't do that, but if he did not plan to help them, she did not need to bother with him.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Fluffy Ramblers on February 18, 2004, 03:18:22 AM
((OOC: @Nai, well there is a description of the Santharian Addiction Syndrome, so go on :D  ))

Fuzzytail listened to the words of the elf and tried not to think about the rat delicacy part. Something sounded strange: the elf told him that he and his kind wouldn't hurt the young. But then he mentioned his companions who would. The mouse added one thing to another and then concluded: "Your companions, Shartratare... Shartrulala... Sharuntale... What you said your name was? Ahem... well... your companions, who or what are they actually?"

Manymeals meanwhile made a try to calm down and comfort SmoothFur who surely felt even worse than he did. "Take it easy," - he said: "Relax. We will make it. Noone's going to be eaten, I promise."

"Right," - he thought: "Nothing easier as that... "


-----
Squee! Squee!
The rat story



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 18, 2004, 05:08:22 AM
@Cacunai & Fluffy:

((OOC: I'll just assume that Fuzzytail scrambled down from Cacunai's shoulder when she turned and walked off ...))

"I risk my safety and that of the boy. If you question lending aid to one of your people, distant as may be, then you will be little help to me, Shartrelyend."

Shartrelyen curled the edges of his lips into a broad grin as Cacunai turned to walk off. He liked her. She was ... spirited. Calm, yet, spirited. He liked that. He turned around to where Fuzzytail was now on the ground.

"Your companions, Shartratare... Shartrulala... Sharuntale... What you said your name was? Ahem... well... your companions, who or what are they actually?"

Shartrelyend half-chuckled, half-snickered as he scooped up Fuzzytail and placed the mouse into a breast pocket of his vest. "Well now, speaking one, my companions are of course of my kin ... certainly not rats. Now then, we are off to ... aid your upset Mistress." He chuckled again and called out to Cacunai in a light-hearted tone, "Well now, distant kin, you desire to seek out the human boy, or the human female first?"

Meanwhile, a disspirited SmoothFur watched silently as Fuzzytail was being swept up into Shartrelyend's vest, hardly even hearing Manymeal's attempt at soothing and comforting her. "Are we to follow?"  



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Cacunai on February 18, 2004, 06:00:22 AM
OOC: Really? Where is the SAS entry? (XD) ~+~ Fwee! I ish liked! -brandishes her torch- Stay back, boy. I'm warning you!

IC:

Cacunai took a few more leisurely steps, then stopped and turned on her heel. She stood for a moment, measuring up the elf who stood grinning in an odd way. After a moment, her face split into a satisfied smile.


The boy. If the princess has survived in here for seven years, she can wait a few more hours.

Edited by: Cacunai at: 2/18/04 4:52


Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Kiushapo on February 18, 2004, 01:28:22 PM
Kiushapo frowned at Mina and Elric, making sure they could see as he gestured with his eyes towards the blade held at his throat.

He then realized he didn't really know them that well and his frown deepened. Mentally shrugging his shoulders, he began to think over his options. He'd always felt safer in his own hands anyway. Speaking loud enough for everyone to hear, he spread his arms peacefully, putting on a charming smile. Looking at the elves, he felt an odd kinship with them, his recent years spent mostly in the company of humans.

"I am seeing no harm in giving her the bark. It is being hers after all. I am sure we can be trusting them to be less hostile once they are seeing we are being no threat to them."

Directing his voice to the woman behind him, he continued speaking, switching to styrash in the hopes it would bolster his position.

"We are seeking the princess of the lands outside your forest. She has been missing for a number of years and I'm afraid you have a bit of a reputation among the locals."

Chuckling softly, he let his hands fall to his sides, waiting to see if his efforts had helped any.


Simple answers to life's questioning. T'would be a greater magic that I have ever been seeing.
Kiushapo's Story



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Fluffy Ramblers on February 18, 2004, 11:46:22 PM
((OOC: On the main site, under "Treasures and Oddities". ))

"Uh, yes, I guess so..." - answered Manymeals to SmoothFur: "This One didn't seem to be too hungry... And, well, he is the Guardian, isn't he?"
"And he has Fuzzytail. And he was going to bring us to the boy.

"Now, come on," - he said with a warm voice: "I'm sorry I've shouted at you."
Manymeals felt that SmoothFur was losing her beliefs. A sad thing, but on the other hand, he thought, it was for her better good.


-----
Squee! Squee!
The rat story



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 19, 2004, 07:32:22 AM
@Mina & Kiushapo:

The female elf demanding the Yilthrem was apparently enraged by Mina's words, because Kiushapo could hear her snarl from behind him. "You dare haggle with me on your life, human?!"

"I am seeing no harm in giving her the bark. It is being hers after all. I am sure we can be trusting them to be less hostile once they are seeing we are being no threat to them."
Elric groaned inwardly at Kiushapo's words. How could he have thought to bring an elf along?? Now they were all going to die. Hoping for a measure of last resort, Elric, pretendly to moan in pain from a inflicted wound, and knelt down, a palm grasping on the ground, trying to locate a pebble, or a stone, perhaps.

The female elf was about to set her archers upon them in rage, when Kiushapo spoke to her. "We are seeking the princess of the lands outside your forest. She has been missing for a number of years and I'm afraid you have a bit of a reputation among the locals." She hissed back, in heavily accented Styrash, "I care not for wretched humans! I do not wish to harm you, distant kin, but --"

She never finished her sentence as Kiushapo heard a sharp thud by his jaw, followed by a shriek of surprise and pain from her. Kiushapo's words had bought them time, and Elric had, with amazing accuracy, hurled a stone at the female elf's hand that clutched the blade. What followed immediately was a simultaneous blur of confusion and rage, and one mistake could cause Kiushapo, Mina, Elric and Caradol their life --

An ornate and wickedly sharp dagger fell to Kiushapo's feet.

Elric grabbed his sword and rushed towards two startled archers.

Caradol could be heard muttering soft Styrash words under his breath.

The poised archers hesistated for that one, fleeting moment, unsure of what to make of their leader's sudden cry: providing a window of opportunity for their targets to react instantly to do whatever they could to avoid certain death.




Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 19, 2004, 06:48:22 AM
@Fluffy & Cacunai:

((OOC: Alrighty Fluffy, from this point on until further notice, i'm giving you control of your whole Ratty entourage -- 26 devout and confused rat followers in total ;)   You can control their actions in coordination with what the Ramblers do. Have fun :biggrin  ))

"The boy. If the princess has survived in here for seven years, she can wait a few more hours."

Shartrelyend pursed his lips slightly, and patted Fuzzytail's head which was craning out of his vest pocket with a finger. "Very well then, we shall embark on the boy's trail." He gestured non-chalantly with a flamboyant wave towards the direction straight in front of him. "You should walk before me, sorceress kin, my companions are ... not too kindly with intrusions into our woods, i shall ... 'watch your back' as the humans are fond of saying." He chuckled merrily, as if they were about to leave for a leisurely stroll in the woods, "Follow my directions!"

((OOC: Alrighty Nai. Your next post should narrate briefly about walking around in the woods following Shartrelyend's directions, until you come upon right smack in the middle of Kiu and Mina's potentially fatal confusion with the elves. Remember the things that i posted in my last post to Mina and Kiu are all happening simultaneously, and Cacunai will be walking right into the middle of it happening, and would be caught in the crossfire (if shooting breaks out). Shartrelyend is behind Nai, and we'll assume that all the rats except Fuzzytail are either in front of Nai or right where Nai is, so both Nai and Fluffy will be entering into the situation at the same time ... have fun :devilish

Edited to add: I see Kiu has brought about a "situation" ... more the better to respond to hehehe ;) ))



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.

Edited by: Khiera at: 2/18/04 23:25


Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Kiushapo on February 19, 2004, 08:05:22 AM
Slipping the edge of his boot under the dagger, Kiushapo kicked it up into his hands and twirled around, taking the woman into his arms and placing the blade at her throat, his free arm wrapped around her waist to pin her arms to her sides.

Yelling out, he began backing himself towards a tree, a hostage was no good if he got himself killed from behind.

"Hold! Or I am not liking what I might have to do!"

Now that he could see his captor's face, he wished they could have met under better circumstances, but maybe he could convince her to join him for a drink later. Speaking softly to her, again in styrash, he tried to make his voice firm yet soothing.

"Keep still and don't try to fight. As long as you don't make me have to use this dagger, I think we can both get away from this happy. All we want is to find the human princess. The Yilthrem is yours, as soon as you call off your guards.

Taking a breath, he smiled at her "On a lighter note, I'm willing to forget all about this whole incident if you join me for a drink one of these days. I know an excellent inn in town."


Simple answers to life's questioning. T'would be a greater magic that I have ever been seeing.
Kiushapo's Story



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Cacunai on February 19, 2004, 09:24:22 AM
You do that, Shartrelyend. You do that.

The 'sorceress' set off, following the sweep of his hand, muttering to herself. At least this way, she would not be stabbed in the back. Well, not by an unknown force anyway. Cacunai walked a twisted path through the forest, following Shartrelyend's instructions, keeping one eye on the trail ahead and one on the mouse, and the one rat she had recognized as part of the original troupe. She had no clue which one it was, though. After oh, about five, ten minutes, they emerged from the dense trees (still shuddering about annoyingly) into a clearing where several, mostly deadly, things were happening at once. By instinct, the moment Cacunai saw that she had stumbled onto a private fray, she stepped back hurridly and crossed her arms loosely in front of her chest (note: not over, just in front of). A second later, as Kiu was beginning his snatch for the knife, she turned and melted back into the trees, with one of her daggers immediately in her hand and brought up to face action. She did not bother to check if she had been noticed, or targeted, first things first.

Did you know this was happening here, O distant kin of mine? Speak!

If this was Shartrelyend's work, oh, sparks would fly!



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Ryldor Gadriel on February 20, 2004, 04:04:22 AM
Ryldor paced back and forth in front of the six men the Prince had given him to find Caradol. He pretended to be surveying the squad while he contemplated the two offers.

The Prince's request was simple, in theory. Bring back Caradol. Ignoring the fact that he had no idea how to find the mage, Ryldor had no clue how to capture someone who was undoubtedly more powerful. These six won't be enough to take him. I can't do it on my own. Will the Prince reward me, and if so, how? A frown appeared on the elf's face. I'd be delivering Caradol to his death. Can I live with that?

Arialle's request had it's own problems. Finding Caradol and warning him off would certainly be easier than capturing him, although the six guards might be a little trouble. The Prince, however, would certainly not be happy about it. Ryldor was used to being on the run, but this might be different. Do I really want the Prince as an enemy? Is this really any of my business? Do I want to forgo what make be a King's, um, Prince's ransom over some girl I never met?

Ryldor sighed inwardly. Four hours. Less now. We better get moving. But first, I'd better make sure these guys don't get in the way. He turned to the troops and spoke. "Gentlemen, I'm sure you know our… mission here. It's going to be tough to do in such a short time frame, but I'm sure the Prince wouldn't have chosen you if you weren't very good at your jobs. One thing before we go. I'm in charge. You will follow my orders quickly and without question. I do not say this because I am arrogant… though I am. I say this for your protection. If I need to cast a spell, I won’t have time to tell you twice, and I don't want you turned into a tarep by accident. Got that? Quickly and without question."

He turned towards the forest and cast Spectral Sight, hoping to get lucky. "Let's go," he said over his shoulder as he entered the woods.

It is not enough to conquer; one must learn to seduce. ~ Voltaire



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Fluffy Ramblers on February 20, 2004, 04:57:22 AM
The group of rats led by Manymeals followed two elves. The bushes and mosses on the ground were getting denser, making it hard to run fast. The rats stopped talking to eachother and concentrated on overcoming the obstacles. Some minutes had passed when they reached a clearing in the middle of the forest. Rejoiced by the sight, the rats hurried to get into the light out of the shadows under the trees. They didn't notice that they had left both elves behind. They also didn't notice that the clearing wasn't empty.

And so, with the full speed, the rats emerged from the dark and stopped in the middle of the clearing. Only then they saw the tall figures around them. Simultaneously they all started squeaking and scattered all over the place in panic.


-----
Squee! Narf! For the Cheese!
The ratty story



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 20, 2004, 01:14:22 PM
@Cacunai, Fluffy, Mina & Kiushapo:

Shartrelyend almost plummeted into Cacunai's retreating figure as he strode forward, not expecting a sudden backing up from Cacunai.

"Did you know this was happening here, O distant kin of mine? Speak!"

Shatrelyend raised his brows suspiciously as he heard the ensuing commotion ahead of him, "Whatever is the matter, perturbed one?!" Brushing Cacunai aside tersely, he stepped forth and took in the commotion, and a chuckle escaped from his lips, "Ah ... my sister seems to be occupying herself in her usual way." He stood there with hands crossed over his chest, a snicker on his face.

Meanwhile, the ensuing commotion that was laid out in front of Shartrelyend and Cacunai proceeded in some manner of unfolding chaotic orderliness:

"Hold! Or I am not liking what I might have to do!"

A collective gasp ensued from the surrounding archers at Kiushapo's sudden action and declaration. Now they were uncertain about their next course of action. A stream of squeaking and sqritching rats that suddenly entered the scene caused some of the archers to hop around to dodge the furry wave, causing them to lose their trained eyes on their targets.

Elric had ploughed straight into two of the elven archers, knocking them out with the hilt of his sword in a quick, clean maneuvoure.

A strange chill suddenly filled the air, and the remaining archers suddenly found themselves staring blankly ahead of them in some kind of trance. Besides Mina, a weakened Caradol muttered in pain, "I ... won't be able to ... sustain the spell for much longer ... it's best ... we leave ..." and attempted to get back on his feet.

Elric glanced towards Kiushapo and shouted out in an urgent tone, "Knock her out!! Everyone!! To the East!! Run to the East!! Hurry!! NOW!!!"

The female elf that Kiushapo held captive widened her eyes at disbelief and alarm as she saw what was happening all around her. She found Kiushapo's words to her taunting, and went livid with rage. The Yilthrem still floated in mid-air amidst all the chaos, if she could just make a dash for it ...




((OOC:

Mina: State what you do with the Yilthrem, and whether you help Caradol or not. Then, if you decide to stay behind, continue posting your subsequent actions. If you decide to follow Elric's instructions and make a run for it, post in the Whistlebrook Clearing thread.

Kiu: The ball's in your court ;)

Nai: Be creative *GRIN*

Fluffy: You can split up the rats and have the majority follow Elric/Mina, while Fuzzytail is left behind, or stay behind ... be creative ;)



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Cacunai on February 20, 2004, 04:11:22 PM
Well, the little party happening out there could not be helped by Cacunai getting involved. With a slight look of annoyance to Shartrelyend, she retreated until her back was against a large tree, leaned back, and waited for the fray to end. Anyway, if those who were not elves of the wood were put out of comission, the path to the princess and the reward would be clearer. Maintaining a good relationship with the Wood elves was more important to Cacunai than taking on a band of them to save those who were competition.

Moodily, but quickly, she retrieved a small bottle from the inside of her cloak and uncorked it with a soft pop. She poured a small amount of the liquid inside into the palm of her hand and rubbed it into the area in her hair where the silver stripe should be, but was still obscured by the dye she had applied earlier. She felt that now it was better to be noticable. After a moment, the silver began to shine through again and a second later, she held up her dagger to check her reflection. Perfect..., she thought. The bottle was returned to its loop, but the dagger remained out. No sense in going unarmed.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 21, 2004, 07:50:22 AM
@Ryldor:

The six guards stared mutely, squeezing in the occasional blink, as Ryldor meted out his instructions. They were elite members of the Kyranian Royal Guards assigned by the Prince, and it felt odd to be under the command of a supposedly powerful and crafty mage instead of a military superior. But they were used to taking orders, and even better at carrying them out. Most grunted in affirmation, as they followed Ryldor into the woods, armed and armoured.

The constant rustling of the Larkentirs was a storm of noise in its own right. No sound of any animal inhabitants of the woods could be heard. To the six guards that found themselves scanning their surroundings warily, they could discern no figures or signs of life besides themselves, and the swaying forms of the Larkentirs, of course.

But for Ryldor, what was seen was eeriely different. With the aid of Spectral Sight, upon entrance into the woods, Ryldor immediately spotted the vague outlines of a cluster of human-like figures as he surveyed straight ahead. Those figures were still as a rock, and were in various positions -- crouching, leaning, standing ... blending in with the constant movement of the Larkentirs.  



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 21, 2004, 08:42:22 AM
@Cacunai & Fluffy (Fuzzytail):

Shatrelyend noticed Cacunai's actions from the corner of his eye and curled his lip in disdain. He commented sarcastically, "Females ... always preening themselves in one form or another."

He suddenly swiftly drew an arrow from his quiver, and strung it to his bow, aiming it at a fleeing Elric, an apparent glint of glee and "show-offishness" in his eyes. "Watch now. His head will fly off his shoulders."



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Cacunai on February 21, 2004, 11:30:22 AM
I am merely removing a disguise; if I were to leave it too long, it would permenantly remove my one distinguishing feature.

Cacunai gazed at Shatrelyend, noting his disdain for her actions. Suddenly, she replaced her dagger in the sheath hidden in her boot, and drew out her blowpipe. She began toying with it, polishing it carefully with an attached cluster of dried pussywillow fuzzies. When Shatrelyend drew his bow taut, her eyes narrowed; she had heard the note of 'show-offishness' in his voice.

'Tis dishonorable to shoot a man in the back, Shatrelyend.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Mina on February 21, 2004, 01:53:22 PM
It was all very sudden...Kiushapo being freed, then taking the dark elf hostage, Elric rushing forward and knocking out the two archers, Caradol's spell...

Unused to such chaos, Mina was at a loss as to what to do.  Just as she had decided to help out and throw lightning bolts at the remaining archers, Elric shouted at them to run towards the east.  Momentarily confused, she let off a lightning bolt without really seeing where it was going, before turning to Caradol and helping him get back on his feet.  "Come on, I think we should get out of here," she said as they started moving towards the east.  

With Mina distracted by other things, the spell holding the Yilthrem in the air was interrupted, and the piece of bark began falling.  


There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no passion; there is serenity.
There is no death; there is the Force.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Kiushapo on February 22, 2004, 12:35:22 AM
With the rats and the sudden lack of immediate enemies, Kiushapo found he had no pressing reason to hold the dark elf woman. She hadn't answered him about the drink though, and a hostage would be useful for the next time this happened.

Tucking the dagger into her belt, he removed his own and used it to bind the woman's wrist, hefting her over his shoulder "I am being sorry, but we are really needing to find this princess, if you are not fighting, I won't be having to do anything drastic. All you will have to be doing it look pretty, I will be taking care of the rest."

Chuckling, he gathered up his longsword and after a sudden thought, her Yilthrem, and then dashed after Elric, making sure to keep Mina and Caradol in front of him as he designated himself rear guard, keeping a firm hold on the woman.

"Are you having a name? I am being called Kiushapo."


Simple answers to life's questioning. T'would be a greater magic that I have ever been seeing.
Kiushapo's Story



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Fluffy Ramblers on February 22, 2004, 01:35:22 AM
In the middle of the chaos that was happening around him on the clearing stood Manymeals. The rat watched how his "followers" tried to hide in panic, how his troupe turned into just a bunch of squeaking individuals, and he didn't know what to do. There was the boy, Yerun, who had ran away crying, there was Fuzzytail in the pocket of the elf, there was, finally, the Great Ratty Paradise he had to find...

For the first time in his life Manymeals had to make a decision, and he had to do it fast.

He found a big stone, jumped on it and shouted as loud as he could: "Over here! Over here! Everyone, come over here!" The rats didn't hear him, and so Manymeals continued until some of them with caution came closer to him. "Come," - he waved with the hand: "You have to help me gather the others. They must stop running!" - said Manymeals: "Look, the Big Ones don't even care about us, they're too busy killing eachother," - he grinned sadly: "Look at your "Guardians" now, they're not better or wiser than the rest of their kin who threat us like dirt. You wanted to worship them?"

Soon he assembled all the rats again. "Listen," - he spoke to them: "I don't know how to find the Paradise. I don't even know if it exists. I only know that we're lost here and won't get out of the woods unless someone helps us. Your "Guardians" surely won't, neither that elven woman. They've got another interests. But we can force them to help. I've got a plan..."

... Sparky, silently sneaking, approached Cacunai. The woman was playing with her blowpipe, not noticing him. Excellent... Quickly  he sprang dove in the pouch a the woman's left hip and fished out a little dart. He landed on the ground, took the dart in his teeth and ran to the drow who was aiming with a bow at another Big One. Sparky climbed up him like a ladder, reached the shoulder and put one of the darts close to Shartr-wosshisname's neck. "Hey, Fuzzytail," - said Sparky to the mouse who was still sitting in the drow's pocket: "Tell him that he's going to do what we command, or else he's going to have the dart in his neck. And I think it's quite poisoned." Fuzzytail showed his teeth, smiling, and translated.


-----
Squee! Narf! For the Cheese!
The ratty story

Edited by: Fluffy Ramblers at: 2/21/04 23:48


Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 22, 2004, 08:48:22 AM
@Mina & Kiushapo:

Horrified looks presented themselves on the faces of the archers that were somehow bound by Caradol's spell. They couldn't bring themselves to move, but they could see that Kiushapo had hoisted the owner of the Yilthrem up on his shoulder as well as picked up the Yilthrem itself.

The hoisted female elf meanwhile, shrieked a long string of imconprehensible Styrash words at Kiushapo, not appreciative of their role reversal with her now as being his hostage, trying to kick her feet at Kiushapo's chest as he dashed forward.

"Are you having a name? I am being called Kiushapo."

Another long string of Styrash curses was followed by a vehement shouting, "Release me!! Release me!! You are not stepping out of these woods alive!!" She continued tussling and kicking her legs at Kiushapo's chest, wishing that her boots were made of steel tips.

Caradol, meanwhile, did not argue with Mina's offer for assistance, and half-limped, half-dashed along with Mina towards the East. However, with his departing presence, the spell that he had cast seemed to waver, and finally, one of the archers broke free, with a blowdart in hand, and aimed for Kiushapo, but missed, the dart flying ahead and hitting Elric in the back of the neck instead.

Elric cried out in pain, but continued stumbling ahead to the East.

Meanwhile, a great flash of light filled the immediate area of as two of the archers were scalded by a lightning bolt that seemed to have materialized out of no where.



Commence posting in Whistlebrook clearing thread ... just make one post each first, and the plot will move on :devilish



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 22, 2004, 08:22:22 AM
@Fluffy and Cacunai:

((OOC: *Hands Fluffy the "Most Creative RP Player of the Month Award* and sets off fireworks and cued applause* :number1  

Unfortunately Fluffy, i'll have to let you take a stab (pun not intended hehehe) at ol' Sharty later in the game, because he needs to do some uhm "plot expanding" right now ... but i promise he'll be all yours after he's done ... unless Nai objects ;)  ))

"'Tis dishonorable to shoot a man in the back, Shatrelyend."

Shatrelyend laughed softly at Cacunai's words, his mark still on a fleeing Elric, "And 'tis honourable to invade and foul up another's home?" He was about to let the arrow fly, when he noticed Kiushapo making away with his sister from the corner of his eye. Alarmed, he turned his aim towards the blonde elf instead, when Fuzzytail spoke up from his vest pocket, informing him of his ... delicate position.

Meanwhile, without Sparky realizing it, SmoothFur had trailed him everywhere when she found him behaving "suspiciously", to the point when he scurried up Shatrelyend's back with the dart. SmoothFur had scrambled up behind Saprky too, unbeknownst to Sparky. And now SmoothFur made her presence known, by squeaking loudly, "NO!!!!!!", and launching herself at Sparky.

Both rats subsequently tumbled down onto the ground with Sparky scrambling in mid air and losing hold of the dart in his mouth as Shatrelyend shook violently at the loud squeak behind him. It was a long, painful fall, and when Sparky finally opened his eyes, there was SmoothFur lying a little distance away from him, the dart pierced through her.

Shartrelyend raised a hand to deal a hard slap to the back of his neck, and found no presence of any rats there, unaware that the rat that was there had tumbled down to the ground. As he turned his attention to the sight in front of him again, Kiushapo was no where to be seen, and the whole scene was a mix of confusion and alarm.

Growling down towards Fuzzytail, he made the mouse a promise, "Another foolish ruse like that, little one, and you will end up on a plate.", while he strode forward to take charge of the situation.



Ok, both of you make one post, and we'll move on :devilish  




Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.

Edited by: Khiera at: 2/22/04 4:00


Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Cacunai on February 22, 2004, 11:09:22 AM
Cacunai shook her head sorrowfully. The dead rat would not have been able to stand the toxins on the dart's tip, even if she had survived the initial jab. A small part of her brain noticed the dark green band on the dart's fletching with interest. Her darts were color-coded, and dark green meant deadly. Sharty (going to call him that from now on, except in dialogue) would have been dead had the rodents' plan succeeded. Oh, this was all a shambles, all of it.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Fluffy Ramblers on February 22, 2004, 11:31:22 AM
Manymeals approached SmoothFurs body and stroke the dead rat tenderly. On his face he had an expression of the deepest grief.

"It wasn't you fault, friend," - said Sparky slowly getting up on his legs: "It was just an accident. She didn't have to stop me. She knew I wasn't going to hurt the Big One."

"But... but it was my fault," - responed Manymeals: "She believed in me, and I... I betrayed her... It was all my fault! I shouldn't have lead them here..."


-----
Squee! Narf! For the Cheese!
The ratty story



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 22, 2004, 11:56:22 AM
@Cacunai & Fluffy:

SmoothFur twitched only but for mere seconds, and departed for the Great Ratty Paradise in the sky, the poison on the dart so lethal. The ratty congregation didn't know about SmoothFur's death yet though, still huddled together on the other side. It was up to Manymeals ... and Sparky, to decide whether to reveal the news of SmoothFur's death, or to explain away her absence ... taking into account the "congregation's" potential reaction of course.

Shartrelyend had strode angrily into the scene of chaos, glaring at each of the stunned archers in turn, who now revealed themselves from their hiding places, numbering to about 20 female archers, with some scalded, some wounded, some dazed, and the rest with guilty expressions on their face.

In a flurry of angry Styrash and enraged gestures, Shartrelyend spoke in an admonishing tone to all the archers who had gathered around him, "Incompetent fools!! You know how the Princess is! And this is what you allowed to happen?!"



Alrighty, one post from each of you and i'll move the plot along.  



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.

Edited by: Khiera at: 2/23/04 3:29


Title: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Evelaria on February 23, 2004, 12:43:22 AM
(Wow...that was too long of a break)

The noise was hardly loud, but noticeable enough to the clerical warrior's ears. Chaos had blessed her with enhanced senses and enhanced prowess...she heard the sound. Her eyes darted about the woods carefully, she knew that something was not right. Perhaps that same elf who had attacked her earlier was still following.

"Thaetum, tell me do you not hear that sound?" she asked as he helped her along. "It is a child...a child is crying!"



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 23, 2004, 01:33:22 AM
@Eve:

((OOC: Good to see you back Eve! Was worried that we might have to wrap up without you! But all's well now :D ))

"Thaetum, tell me do you not hear that sound? It is a child...a child is crying!"

Thaetum had walked quite a few paces ahead of Eve, and turned back towards her with an irritated look on his face as he cocked his head, and looked as if he was sniffing the air or straining to hear what Eve had pointed out. "What are you talking about woman?? Hearing voices now? Well don't let them rustling trees blind your ears now! Come on, we have to keep moving."

Thaetum proceeded forward in a huff, and disappeared into another cluster of Larkentirs ahead that he brushed past.

Meanwhile, the soft sobbing and crying to Eve's right seem to have gradually increased in volume. It was a heart-wrenching, sorrowful cry, and tugged at the heartstrings of even such a hardened warrior as Eve.  



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Ryldor Gadriel on February 23, 2004, 04:37:22 AM
What am I doing here again? Ryldor thought as he made his way into the woods. He felt enveloped, almost as if the forest was swallowing him whole. I wonder if the Princess thought the same things seven years ago. Did she suspect she was never coming out? Am I? He took a deep breath and did his best to shake the feeling. When did you become a little girl Lord Ryldor? he asked himself in a mocking tone. Relax. This is just a walk in the park.

This all changed when he saw the figures. He dropped to one knee and motioned for the six men to stop. He glanced over his shoulder at the squad of troops. They seemed oblivious to the new "threat." Crack troops you gave me Prince. He turned back to the figures in the woods. Did they see us yet? I wouldn't bet against it with the way things are going.

Feff it. he thought as he stood and approached the nearest figure. When he got to about a ped away, he stopped and said "Hello. Need any assistance?"

It is not enough to conquer; one must learn to seduce. ~ Voltaire



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Evelaria on February 23, 2004, 05:04:22 AM
"What are you talking about woman?? Hearing voices now? Well don't let them rustling trees blind your ears now! Come on, we have to keep moving."

Eve sighed and continued to walk behind Thaetum, but as they walked deeper into the forest the sound increased and she stopped and stomped her feet into the ground. The sound of her axes clanking on her belt echoed throughout the woods.

"The sound...a child is crying. I cannot believe that such a skillful hunter as yourself cannot hear it! I know what I am hearing and it is a child that is crying!"

The cry seemed to only grow louder every time Eve spoke. "Do you hear it now?!"



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 23, 2004, 11:56:22 PM
@Ryldor:

The six Royal Guards stopped in an impressive simultaneous manner as Ryldor motioned for them to halt. Curiously, they watched as Ryldor bent down on one knee, pondering something at length, and then approached a cluster of Larkentirs like any other, noticing that Ryldor's lips moved but not quite hearing what was being said. Remembering about the "spell" and "tarep" part of the mage's instruction, the six men felt it better not to question anything, and merely stood mutedly as they waited for Ryldor to do ... whatever.

"Hello. Need any assistance?"

Ryldor watched as the figures remained motionless, not even a stir of acknowledgement of his question. But then, a low hissing sound emerged from where Ryldor directed the question, turning into a heavily accented Styrash, "What do you think you are doing here, with those humans? They shall not be leaving the woods alive, but you, you should leave, distant kin. Now."

The six guards a little ways off behind Ryldor stood at attention, still surveing their surroundings. Not even remotely aware that their fate had been sealed.



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 24, 2004, 12:11:22 AM
@Eve:

Thaetum could hear Eve babbling something as he trudged on at a measured and increasingly hurried pace through the woods. He was eager to get to his destination, and it was getting closer. All they had to go was get there. A nd then something that Eve said floated its way to his ears.

"Do you hear it now?!"

Now Thaetum was annoyed. All he heard was the rustling of the darn trees, the heavy thuds of his own two feet, and the rhythmic clanking of Eve's axes. Turning back, he sighed loudly, in annoyance, and spoke resignedly to Eve, "Look lady, we need to get where we need to go fast, the hour is not getting earlier. Either you come along now and don't slow us down, or you go seek out that 'child' that you keep muttering about and shut it up. Alright?!"

Turning around again, Thaetum strode forward once more, grumbling to himself, and leaving Eve to decide whether she was coming along or not.



State in your post whether you ignore the crying and follow Thaetum ahead, or that you stay behind and sought out the source of the crying. If you ignore it, commence posting in The Ring of Stones thread -- make a post there and i'll move you on. If you decide to seek out the crying, continue posting in this thread.  



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Ryldor Gadriel on February 24, 2004, 07:18:22 AM
Great. I found the elves of the woods. Ryldor thought about the six men behind him. They wouldn't be about to die if it wasn't for this charade of mine. I guess I have to try to save them.

"Brothers. I apologize for bringing them into the woods. It embarrasses me to travel with these humans, but I had no choice. There is a much greater threat to you and these woods than those six that I command. The human ruler of Eresh, wishes to destroy the woods. In two hours, the Prince intends to burn them to the ground. I can stop him but I need some help. There is a very powerful one mage here and I need him to stop the Prince. These six men are following my orders to make sure that I am able to bring him back alive and to protect the forest." He decided to try to change the subject off of killing the men. "You found us very quickly. Perhaps you can help me find the mage."

It is not enough to conquer; one must learn to seduce. ~ Voltaire



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Fluffy Ramblers on February 24, 2004, 11:04:22 PM
((OOC: I'm back after a little sickness break.))

Manymeals didn't move and stayed by SmoothFur's body. He wished, he could disappear, be somewhere else, forget about the woods, everything. He was no leader, he couldn't make decisions and he couldn't accept the consequences. He didn't want to speak with the others, explain SmoothFur's death somehow, and so he just kept silence: a little helpless rat with the feeling of guilt on his hands.

Fuzzytail meanwhile considered running away from Shartrelyend. Of course, this way he won't be able to demonstrate his greatness to the ratty people or find Yerun, but on the other hand, the perspective of ending up on the plate also wasn't too bright.  


-----
Squee! Narf! For the Cheese!
The ratty story

Edited by: Fluffy Ramblers at: 2/24/04 15:29


Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 25, 2004, 09:19:22 AM
@Ryldor:

The hissing sound increased, and so did the surrounding rustling, causing three of the six guards to shuffle around nervously. The voice responded to Ryldor, with a clear undertone of anger, "And why should we trust you, companion of humans? Many have come, much has been said. Few if any have left these woods ... because they lie. We fear not threats nor guiles. If you wish aid for whatever purpose, prove your worth."

Right at that very moment, an arrow sliced through the air, narrowly missing Ryldor's shoulder, and pierced right through an unfortunate guard who was standing at the forefront.

Chaos immediately ensued with the remaining five guards hollering in alarm and brandishing their weapons, some heading towards the Larkentirs to slash out the enemy.

The voice rang out again, smug and firm, "Kill the humans! And we shall grant you aid!"



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Cacunai on February 26, 2004, 08:41:22 AM
The second she heard the word "Princess", Cacunai was up and advancing into the clearing. She didn't say anything, but eyed Shartrelyend closely. Was it the Princess she sought? If so, where was she now? If not, which Princess was it? The archers were all female, she noted. Handmaidens? The back of her mind noted idly that no one she had seen so far was astride. Were the trees too densely packed for horses, or did they just prefer infantry to cavalry. Suddenly the seer realized she had been away longer than Daala had been told to wait for. The mare would try to find her, she knew, but in doing so she would wander too close to the city and be captured. Daala wore no saddle nor bridle, no halter, no noseband or anything to pronounce ownership. What if the guards tried to injure her? Daala would not go willingly with anyone but Cacunai. The elven woman closed her eyes for a moment in deep thought, then realized there was nothing she could do. Shartrelyend had led her off any path she recognized, there was no avenue of escape. Besides, she had to make sure the rats were safe for Yerun.

OOC: Note: the horse probably won't impact anything, it's just something to make her distracted. =p Best I could do mate!



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 26, 2004, 09:31:22 AM
@Fluffy and Cacunai:

((OOC: Not a talkative type, eh? Our Cacunai? :wink2 ))

Under Cacunai's silent and watchful gaze, Shartrelyend spewed out a violent stream of heavily accented Styrash with an angry and reprimanding tone at the female archers, who hung their heads low and shuffled their feet in guilt. Shatrelyend paced around with an air of annoyance hung heavily around him, before barking out an order, "Well?! And you stand around like trees?! After the Princess! If you do not secure her safety, none of you shall be spared of wrath!"

That sent the archers scurrying off in nervous and anxious haste and towards the direction where Kiushapo had taken the Princess, with the wounded heading off towards a different direction ... possibly to heal and rest.

Sullen-faced, Shatrelyend turned towards Cacunai, almost stepping on a chittering rat or two with his brisk, terse steps,  "Well, sorceress kin, are you still bent on retrieving that human male child, or would you rather go ... human hunting with myself?" As an after thought, he muttered in irritation, "And would you be so considerate as to ... direct those ... pets of yours --" He waved dismissively towards the swarm of now chittering, confused and panicking rats, "-- to ... disperse? I am starting to acquire the urge to ..." He let the rest of his sentence trail off, but the ensuing abrupt silence sounded suspiciously like " -- skewer them over a fire."

The congregation of rats, meanwhile, had started a round of confused and alarmed chittering amongst themselves, for they saw no sight of Manymeals or SmoothFur. "Where is our Mouphet?!" "What are we doing here?" "Cheese, i don't see any cheese!" "Something smells here!" "That Big sharp eared one nearly stepped on my nose!!"



((OOC: Fluffy, if you have the urge to "escape" from Sharty and the rest of the gang, you can do so in your next post ;) ))



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Cacunai on February 26, 2004, 10:52:22 AM
I do not control them, they have their own will. I would not presume to bind anything or anyone against their will.

Cacunai shrugged dismissively, ignoring his suggestion to go 'human-hunting' for now.

However, they are under my protection and I'm afraid if you try to injure them, I shall have to hurt you.

She smiled darkly, then turned in the directon the wounded had gone. Make a note of that... they would be heading to somewhere safe where they could lick their wounds. Could be useful to know of a safe place, indeed. Right, well, the only humans this elf wanted to hunt, were the Princess and Yerun.

I do not blame anyone for the mistakes of their kind, Shartelyend. If I did that, I would be obliged to kill myself to atone for my people. Come, the only humans I want to hunt are the young ones. Or can you not bear to be left out of the hunt?



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Fluffy Ramblers on February 27, 2004, 06:19:22 AM
((OOC: Dunno, Khi. Have to find Yerun first. :)  ))

Sparky, seeing that Manymeals wouldn't move from his place, gathered his strength and walked to the chittering ratty crowd.

"Where is our Mouphet?!" "What are we doing here?" -he heard them asking themselves. Sparky sighed. It was hard having to explain everything to them.

"Listen," - he said to the rats: "SmoothFur is dead. She wanted to stop me from threating the drow and got pierced by the dart when we fell down.  It was poisoned. Manymeals is with her body now," - Sparky's voice lowered: "I'm sorry"


-----
Squee! Narf! For the Cheese!
The ratty story



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Ryldor Gadriel on February 27, 2004, 06:46:22 AM
Ryldor stood his ground as the arrow flew by. Without thinking he began to speak. "Eráia’avásh," he said as he threw a feather in the air casting a spell. As the wind started to swirl around him and his vision became obscured, in his most authoritative voice he shouted back to the men "GET BEHIND ME. LEAVE THE WOODS AND GET THAT MAN TO HELP." He pushed his arms out, hoping to expand the vortex and provide more cover.

He turned his head and faced the direction of the elves even though he couldn't see them. "I told you those men were under my command. I take full responsibility for their intrusion on you lands. Allow those men to leave and give me a chance to prove the threat is real. If I'm wrong, you have nothing to lose. However, if I'm right, all of the woods are in danger. I beg you brothers to trust me."

It is not enough to conquer; one must learn to seduce. ~ Voltaire



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 27, 2004, 12:59:22 PM
@Cacunai & Fluffy:

Shartrelyend curled his lip slightly, a slight expression of disdain as he narrowed his eyes at Cacunai, "You are a little too fond of humans, i think, sorceress kin. But no matter, i shall lead you to the human male child. But make haste now and make your steps be fleet, for i ..." He looked skywards as he rolled his eyes, " ... have a sister to keep out of harm's way." Shartrelyend started walking forward as he gestured for Cacunai to follow, briefly turning around in what looked like an irritated glower towards Cacunai, "And you should not be speaking of nor directing threats in these woods ... if you were wise, oh distant sorceress kin."

An odd chuckle escaped from Shartrelyend's lips, and then he sauntered forward, obviously expecting Cacunai to hurry along.

Meanwhile, a hushed silence had befallen the congregation of rats, as Sparky announced the unexpected death of SmoothFur. There was an awkward, long, stretched-out pause, and then, the hobbling figure of the ancient, decrepit black rat stepped forth, disgusted by the lack of leadership and the uncertain whimpering of the ratty crowd, "You ... young .. ratfools! Follow ... the ... Guardian!!" A wave of nods followed this revelation, and a stream of rats followed behind the two elves striding ahead.

>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Shartrelyend moved swiftly indeed, and at the point when Cacunai thought that she keep up no further without a rest, he suddenly stopped. A faint crying could be heard towards their left. Shartrelyend waved his hand towards the crying with a flourish, "There. The human male child, i presume. Shamefully bawling. I shall now depart." He poked at Fuzzytail in his vest pocket, "And you, speaking rat, do you wish to come along with me, or remain with your human-loving Mistress?" He said with a slight sneer towards Cacunai.  



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on February 28, 2004, 11:34:22 AM
@Ryldor:

The guards didn't need any convincing to immediately leave the woods. They simply could not fight what they could not see, and they weren't exactly eager to grace Queprur's presence. As two other guards tried to drag the wounded guard out of the woods, another two were hit in the leg and arm by arrows that had not been deflected. Ryldor's spell were deflected the volley of arrows that were let loose after he cried out for the guards to leave, but what he didn't expect, was that a few archers had crept up around the sides and surrounded the guards, unleashing another torrent of arrows that were not deflected by Ryldor's conjured shield, until only one guard was left scrambling out of the woods for dear life. Ryldor's pleas fell on deaf, invisible ears.

With the presence of the humans no more, the slew of arrows was halted. The voice sounded out again, cackling lightly, but with a very faint tinge of evident admiration, "And so you attempt to shield them, and you do not retaliate, much must be at stake here. Very well --" It was as if a wide smirk could be heard in those words, "-- the mage that you speak for be an aged human? With a chrome staff?"

Several hushed voices murmuring could now be distinctly heard amongst the rustle of the Larkentirs, as if in disgruntled disagreement with what had been said.  



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Evelaria on February 28, 2004, 04:36:22 PM
(Okay, I'm not gonna apologize this time, because I posted here yesterday...ezboard is messin' up!!!)

Eve rolled her eyes at Thaetum, and pulled away from him. "You can go on your own. Do you not hear how strong that child's cry is?!"

She started down the path of the cry, hearing it get louder. "If you want to follow you are more than welcome. I cannot see how you could be so cold-hearted to turn away from such a child!" she shouted behind her.

As she continued down the path, the trees around her began to grow all the more scary. They seemed to be reaching for her, watching her...wanting to harm her. She would continue; her life was in jepoardy from the moment she was fired upon when she was with Helli. She wouldn't turn back now.  



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Fluffy Ramblers on February 29, 2004, 01:32:22 PM
"Uh... well... I sure appreciate you generous offer, I do," - said Fuzzytail to Shartrelyend: "But... uh... I think I'd better stay with my mistress."
Then quickly he added: "Don't take me wrong, you're a very nice elf and I really enjoyed your company, it's just that... ah... staying with you would be a bit too dangerous for my taste. I mean... the perspective of ending up on a plate doesn't really go along with my plans for future."
"So I hope you understand," - and with these words Fuzzytail jumped out of the drow's pocket and ran to Cacunai, his "mistress".

As he was in relative safety, he started looking around for his pack, the Ramblers and all the rats who had been following the drow.


-----
Squee! Narf! For the Cheese!
The ratty story



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on March 01, 2004, 03:40:22 AM
@Eve:

"You can go on your own. Do you not hear how strong that child's cry is?! If you want to follow you are more than welcome. I cannot see how you could be so cold-hearted to turn away from such a child!"

As Thaetum turned around, he only caught a glimpse of Eve's back as she disappeared into another cluster of identical Larkentirs. Fuming, he halted in his steps and crossed his arms, "Women!" and muttered furiously to himself, trying to decide whether to go after Eve or just throw his arms in the air and forget about her.

Meanwhile, it didn't take too long before Eve came across the source of the crying. Pushing away a half broken branch of Larkentir from sight, there was a little boy, sitting cross-legged on the forest floor, with tear strewn cheeks and grimy, torn clothes, still sobbing and sniffing. Eve remembered him as the boy from the Rusik, the one who answered her inquiry for a room with a mute silence.  



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Ryldor Gadriel on March 01, 2004, 09:26:22 AM
Ryldor inwardly sighed at the death of the five guards. At least one got away. Better one than none, I guess. He knew there was no use protesting the elves actions, and that he would better off not sentimentalizing over it. The elves would ignore him at best and kill him at worst. He did he best to convey no emotion over the deaths.

The description of Caradol was a little too good to be coincidence. "So you've seen him. We must get to him immediately. He said. And just to mess with them. "And I hope for all our sakes, you haven't made him angry."

It is not enough to conquer; one must learn to seduce. ~ Voltaire



Title: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Evelaria on March 01, 2004, 06:10:22 PM
Eve looked at the boy, automatically recognizing his face. The memory was vague, it had been only about two days since she had seen him. She walked over to him and sighed, sitting down on the forest floor next to him. She smiled at him, and folded her hands into her lap.

"What's wrong?" she asked, not knowing if the boy could speak or not. "Why are you sitting here all alone? This place is too dangerous for a young lad like yourself."



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on March 01, 2004, 11:10:22 PM
@Fluffy & Cacunai:

((OOC: Moving you two along now, Nai ...))

Shatrelyend watched with an odd smirk as Fuzzytail hopped down and away from him. His gaze followed the mouse to Cacunai, or stood in silence as if pondering over something with much concern.

Unable to wait much longer for Cacunai's answer, Shartrelyend decided to get straight to his task at hand. "Well, i shall depart. May the human male child bring not more trouble and strife to you." With a mysterious glint in his eyes, Shatrelyend turned and strode off with amazing speed, disappearing through the Larkentirs in mere moments.

As the wave of rats situated themselves on the floor beneath a towering Cacunai, a flood of sqritching panic ensued over the congregation once more as Shartrelyend turned abruptly to leave. "Wait! Wait! Are we supposed to follow him now??" "Oh, he's gone!" "Oh, no! What do we do now?" "I'm hungry!"

As the old, black decrepit tried to limp towards the head of the crowd again and tried to speak, a loud lumbering sound could be heard, a a collective gasp of surprise was heard from the rats as a Kuatu (three times as large as the largest rat) landed right in the middle of the congregation, seemingly from the sky itself.

The Kuatu scanned the rat crowd with its beady eyes, and started chittering away in Basic Universal Rodent Sqritch, "No ... no ... sharp-eared man ... evil! Kill! Kill! No follow! No follow!"

At this very moment, the crying towards Cacunai's left had abruptly stopped.




Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.

Edited by: Khiera at: 3/1/04 15:15


Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on March 01, 2004, 11:28:22 PM
@Eve:

Yerun's eyes widened as Eve sat herself down besides him. He started inching away slightly from her as she smiled, remembering how fierce and impatient she was at the counter. But there was no Lady Bretha here to deal out harsh slaps to him, so he relaxed a little, but still a little tensed, and his body trembling slightly from all his crying.

"What's wrong? Why are you sitting here all alone? This place is too dangerous for a young lad like yourself."

Yerun relived the last few hours of his life in a blinding flash in his mind. How his memory came flooding back, how he tore through the woods, hoping and hoping, knowing that he was hoping for the impossible. He crashed aimlessly throughout the woods, his clothes torn and tattered by stray Larkentir brushes, and finally realized how lost he was, and how deeply griefed he was as well. So he did the only thing he could do: sat down and cried his heart out. It was a miracle he was still alive.

He also realized that the could ... manage to talk once more. Though, it felt quite awkward and quite a foreign act to him, after not talking for all these long years. Looking gingerly at Eve and sniffling slightly, nervously, he stammered out the words with some difficulty, "T..They killed .. m..m..my f..father ... m..m..mother ... a..at t..t..the st..stones." He whimpered, wondering why he was telling all this to a complete stranger, wishing he had not so brashly left the company of Cacunai and the rats. He felt so alone now.  



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.

Edited by: Khiera at: 3/1/04 15:30


Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on March 02, 2004, 02:08:22 AM
@Ryldor:

"So you've seen him. We must get to him immediately. And I hope for all our sakes, you haven't made him angry."

A formidable male figure stepped out from the Larkentirs -- there was no mistaking the slender physique that was characteristic of elves, but this elf had broad shoulders, a well-toned frame and a weathered, rugged look. Violet eyes shone piercingly amongst cheeks with a wispy, silvery sheen. When the figure spoke, it was evident that the prior disembodied voice belonged to him, "Angered him? We would have done much more, had we been able to." He scoffed, at no one in particular, "An aged and powerful mage indeed. It certainly speaks for why he is still alive, no?"

Glancing over Ryldor from head to toe, a half-grin concealed his furrowed brows, "I am Neshjullotere of the Tsváen’mol’khár. I shall ... accompany you on your ... search."

The loud murmur of dissent rose from behind him again amongst the Larkentirs, and Neshjullotere quelled them by adding to his words in a dead-serious tone, "And shall you show any sign of deceit or trickery in your purpose of finding this mage, my arrow will accompany you swiftly to the Rat Queen herself."

Pacing closer towards Ryldor, he extended an open palm. "You will now hand over any weapons you have on your being. And tell me, distant kin brother, what exactly do you intend to do when we have found this aged human mage?"



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.

Edited by: Khiera at: 3/1/04 18:09


Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Fluffy Ramblers on March 02, 2004, 08:16:22 AM
"Young squirrel!" - adressed the Kuatu Teapon, on whose head it almost had landed: "Just what do you think you're doing, jumping on considerable rats from the trees like that?"

Not giving the surprized squirrel time to answer she continued: "And stop bubbling!" - she pointed with her long bony finger at the Kuatu: "Now, where are your manners, I ask you? We don't even know your name. Calm down, please, calm down and say what you mean. In full sentences!"


-----
Squee! Narf! For the Cheese!
The ratty story



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on March 02, 2004, 11:57:22 PM
@Fluffy:

The Kuatu was perplexed, as much as could be told on its furry expression anyway. Ximax rats were exceptionally intelligent above the rest of their rodent brothers, but the Kuatu was just ... well, a Kuatu.

"Nay-mu??? Fool sand-turns???!!!" It had absolutely no idea what Teapot was trying to convey to it. Peering around curiously, it suddenly remembered that it was hungry. Squinting at Cacunai, it noticed that Cacunai had "sharp-ears", shuddered slightly with a ruffled tail, and then it recalled something suddenly and excitedly, "Round-eared boy! Food! Food! Maybe Acorn Boy!!" The Kuatu's fleeting attention span duly spent on the confused rats, it now hopped away to the direction of the now-halted-crying, almost stomping on and flattening another rat in the process.

((OOC: You still have control of the whole ratty group Fluffy ;) ))



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Evelaria on March 03, 2004, 07:37:22 PM
"T..They killed .. m..m..my f..father ... m..m..mother ... a..at t..t..the st..stones."

Eve felt the emotion within the young boy's voice, and her heart reached out to him. She sighed, looking over his torn clothes, and she stood up taking her cloak from her back and handing it to him. Underneath her cloak she wore a firm-fitting leather armor. Nothing too heavy or too obvious, but it still said "I am a warrior and I am armed."

She then sat back down on the grass, her legs feeling the tiny weeds poking her. "The elves? They killed your parents? It seems that for anyone who comes into this place death is all they find."

Eve looked up at the sky, unable to see it for it was blocked by an ever darkening cluster of Larkentir treetops. "I am sorry that you had to suffer through that. I'm also sorry for my behavior towards you earlier. I was being impatient and just wanted a room."



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Fluffy Ramblers on March 04, 2004, 12:12:22 AM
Sparky who almost pulled weak-willed Manymeals all the way from the clearing tried to understand what the Kuatu meant.
"Hey, it seems our big friend has found the boy," - he poked Manymeals: "That's good news, no?"
Manymeals didn't answer.
"Come on, you're still their mouphet," - said Sparky: "You can still lead them out of here."
"Go... follow the squirrel..." - managed to squeeze out Manymeals.
"You've heard him! All after the squirrel!" - commanded Sparky

The confuzed rats obeyed, however they made sure to keep distance from the hopping Kuatu.


-----
Squee! Narf! For the Cheese!
The ratty story



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on March 04, 2004, 09:26:22 AM
@Eve & Fluffy:

"I am sorry that you had to suffer through that. I'm also sorry for my behavior towards you earlier. I was being impatient and just wanted a room."

Yerun slipped a little further away from Eve nervously as she took off her cloak, feeling intimidated by her garb and the glinting blades of her axes. But as she handed her cloak to him with a softened tone of voice, he felt less afraid and began to tilt closer to her again, grasping her cloak in his hands and trembling a little as he stammered again, "I..I ... it..it's alright. B..but --" He hesistated briefly, and then looked at the warrior with pleading eyes, " -- c..can you t..take me t..t..to the s..st..stones, d..do you k..kn..know w..wh..where they are?"

Just at that moment, an excited Kuatu came bounding out of a cluster of Larkentirs towards Eve and Yerun, squeaking loudly, "Acorn lady!! Acorn Lady!!"

And behind the Kuatu, was a large flood of rats scampering in haste. Yerun's eyes widened as he recognized the two familiar rats among them, "......!" He called out, realizing that he didn't really know what their names were.

((OOC: Just make one more post each ... perhaps to get acquainted or something lol, and we'll head for the infamous Ring of Stones :evil ))



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Ryldor Gadriel on March 04, 2004, 09:29:22 AM
A concerned look came to Ryldor's face as Neshjullotere spoke. Wonderful. This wasn't going to be hard enough. Better continue with the bluff. The mage spoke slowly and purposefully. "I assume you've dealt with wild animals before. I'm sure you know that they're at their most dangerous when trapped, injured or both. That's what we're with dealing with in Caradol now, except in this case the wild animal is more powerful than you know."

After a pause to let his words sink in, he continued. "When we find him, I'm going to talk to him. If he's alive then we can end this easily. If not we'll have some work to do. As for my daggers, I'll be keeping them. If you're that worried about it, you can stay here while I go save the woods."

It is not enough to conquer; one must learn to seduce. ~ Voltaire



Title: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Evelaria on March 04, 2004, 08:03:22 PM
Eve smiled at the boy. If she took him she might have a chance of catching up with Thaetum and prove to him that she was right. "Yes..I.."

"Acorn lady!! Acorn Lady!!"

Seeing the squirrels again Eve rolled her eyes, and put a hand to her forehead. "Why aren't they dead yet!?" she asked herself. She gave a fake smile, and looked at the boy hoping he would be wierded out by Eve's face towards the squirrels. "I know them...in a way. Oh, my name is Evelaria," she said with a smile.

The warrior then looked at the "horde" of rats following the squirrels. "Oh, great more rodents," she said to the animals.  



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Cacunai on March 05, 2004, 04:23:22 PM
The last few events all happened in a blur, before Cacunai could think of a suitably acid response for Sharty-boy, he had gone and left her seething. Then the rats too departed and the crying stopped. Thoroughly confused and altogether frustrated with the whole affair, Cacunai abruptly turned and began to scale the tree she leaned against. As she reached the higher branches, they began to sway under her weight and the tree increased in its shuddering and twittering. After only a few minutes, she had poked her head out through the top branches and glimpsed...



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on March 06, 2004, 12:14:22 AM
@Ryldor:

Neshjullotere scoffed loudly after Ryldor's little cautionary spiel about Caradol. "We fear no one! The woods are our land, and the woods will speak with our wrath if we so will it!"

" ... As for my daggers, I'll be keeping them. If you're that worried about it, you can stay here while I go save the woods."

Neshjullotere responded with a cross look with an overtone of violence, he looked as if he was about to direct a blow towards Ryldor's head with the back of his hand, but at that very moment, he suddenly perked his head attentively towards the direction behind him. As Ryldor strained his ears to listen to what had caught Neshjullotere's attention, he could make out the odd shrill sound that sounded both like a whistle and a horn at the same time.

The sound abruptly ended after a brief moment, and Neshjullotere seemed to have forgotten about disarming Ryldor. Turning back towards Ryldor, his expression was grave, "The old mage must wait. We have been summoned. But it's best that you come along distant brother, it might be possible that the reason for our summoning is because of the old human."

Numerous figures suddenly emerged from the surrounding Larkentir clusters, and they moved swiftly, seemingly oblivious to Ryldor's presence, streaming towards the north in a single file. Neshjullotere looked at Ryldor, almost daring him to keep up with them with an arrogant glint in his eyes, "Make haste now!" and he proceeded to trail behind the others, with the nimble sure-footedness of a weathered ranger.



Your next posts will commence in the Whistle Brook Clearing thread. Wait for a post from me there addressed to you, Mina and Kiu, and then jump in with your post. :devilish



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Fluffy Ramblers on March 06, 2004, 02:57:22 AM
The ratty crowd, led by the Ramblers, surrounded Yerun. They climbed on his legs and his arms and made the boy look quite funny. Normally, they would never trust someone who didn't have a pink tail, but their situation now was far from being normal.

Fuzzytail, of course, took place on Yerun's shoulder. He was getting quite good at sitting on people's shoulders. "So!" - said the mouse to the boy: "We have found you!"
"Don't you run away again! There are not-so-nice pointed-ears around!"


Then Fuzzytail looked at Evelaria.
No pointed ears on her.
Good.


-----
Squee! Narf! For the Cheese!
The ratty story



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on March 06, 2004, 03:58:22 AM
@Eve, Cacunai & Fluffy:

((OOC: Nice post Fluffy! :lol ))

High atop her perch, Cacunai spotted Yerun's familiar skinny frame, along with a strange woman next to him whom she had never seen before. And of course, the pool of rats draped all over Yerun was pretty hard not to spot ...

Yerun's tear-streaked face broke out into a wide smile as the rats latched themselves all over him. Trying to stroke each in turn, he looked down at Fuzzytail atop his shoulder in gratitude and relief, "You found me!! I thought i would never see you again!!"

Yerun was a little surprised at the Kuatu that came bounding up excitedly towards Eve. What surprised Yerun even more was the look on Eve's face -- she said she knew the squirrel, and she seemed to understand what it was chittering about. Timidly, Yerun asked Eve, "M..Ma'am, y..you can u..under..der..stand animals?"

Glancing around too, Yerun noticed that Cacunai had not appeared behind the rats. He whispered to Fuzzytail, "Where is the nice elf lady??"

A loud crash suddenly sounded out right in front of where Yerun and Eve sat. What emerged before their eyes was the figure of rugged looking human male -- oddly enough with pointed ears -- hacking down a few branches of Larkentirs as he made his way into their sight. It was Thaetum. Gruffly, and with a visible attempt to hide his surprise, he mumbled out, "Well there you are, woman! And i'll be darned!! You got yourself a boy!"

As Thaetum strutted up towards both of them and gave Yerun a once-over, Yerun cowered slightly, almost bumping into Eve. Thaetum's expression softened. Yerun was in quite a wretched state. The rats were odd but ... he shrugged. Nothing quite shocked him anymore, not after all that he had gone through. And no, he wasn't going to admit that Eve was right about a child either. So he deftly changed the subject. "Well now, come along. Day's not getting any earlier. I don't think you want to be wandering among them stones when --"

Thaetum's brows suddenly locked tightly together in a deep frown without finishing his sentence. He put a finger to his lips to indicate that Eve and Yerun be quiet. Under his breath they could hear Thaetum mutterring, "Bloody elves all over us ..."

And then, with a swift turn, Thaetum hurled a small dagger at the tree that Cacunai was perched on, the pointed tip heading straight to the dead center of Cacunai's forehead.



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Evelaria on March 06, 2004, 08:16:22 PM
Eve watched in pure disgust as the rats climbed atop Yerun's body, making him seem like a rat-man. She looked away; thinking about pulling out her sword and cutting the rats off of his body, but pushed the thought away.

"M..Ma'am, y..you can u..under..der..stand animals?"

Eve looked at the rat covered boy and smiled. "I'm an Eyelian, it is our natural ability to speak with the animals as though they were our kin," she said. Just then something caught her attention and caused the warrior to lean backwards and reach for her axes. She ran up towards the sound, with both blades drawn ready to attack.

"Well there you are, woman! And i'll be darned!! You got yourself a boy!"

That was not what Eve was expecting, "Oh, I didn't think I would be seeing you again Thaetum. So, will you listen to me the next time I hear a noise?"

"Well now, come along. Day's not getting any earlier. I don't think you want to be wandering among them stones when --"

Eve nodded, seeing as how Thaetum purposefully ignored her question. Eve saw him then freeze, whisper something she didn't catch and hurl a dagger at a tree. She still had her blades drawn and was ready to hack down anything that fell, or came towards her.  



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Fluffy Ramblers on March 07, 2004, 04:52:22 AM
"Where's the nice elf lady? Hm, good question," - thought Fuzzytail. Somehow, in the whole turmoil the rats completely forgot about Cacunai.
"Dunno," - he answered to the boy: "She must be somewhere around. I've seen her some minutes ago."

Seeing Thaetum's arrival Fuzzytail started to ponder. All these Big Ones didn't belong here, in the wood. Something was definitely going on, and he wasn't sure if he wanted to be a part of it.


-----
Squee! Narf! For the Cheese!
The ratty story



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Cacunai on March 07, 2004, 01:29:22 PM
Cacunai saw nothing as she gazed out across the waving carpet of the tops of the trees, with the sunlight layering the leaves like golden rain. Tiny yellow-and-green butterflies flitted here and there, and she smiled fondly. Turning carefully and slowly, her gaze landed on a spot where a break in the trees permitted a little sunlight to stream down and alight on the familiar form of Yerun and his ratty friends. So, she'd found them! With them was a slight woman, though she never saw Thaetum. She bent, preparing to call out to them, as gave a rather exaggerated start as a tiny dagger whistled past her cheek, inflicting a long, rather jagged gash. She hissed with surprise, like a cat, and her surprise quickly settled into anger. She growled deep in her throat (yeah, she's a bit of a freak), and narrowed her eyes. She would not descend to the ground, not yet, for it was always more difficult to shoot, and throw, upward than straight across. If her attacker climbed a tree as well, then she'd be in her element. Until then, she would not retaliate for fear of hitting someone who ought not to be hit. The pain throbbed briefly, but soon settled into the back of her mind. Cacunai swung over to the back side of her tree and shimmied down, landing softly on the carpet of dead leaves and loam. She took a moment to wipe away the trickle of blood, then strode boldly out into the open with an expression of pure fury on her face.

Whosoever shall fling another knife, shall go to his grave today. Now then.

She walked quickly over to Yerun and knelt in front of him, looking him over for a moment as if she were his mother. She flung an angry glare around the small, tree-less area until she located Thaetum. She snorted, figuring he was the one who had thrown the dagger. Cacunai turned back to the boy.

Yerun, where have you been?

Edited by: Cacunai at: 3/7/04 8:15


Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Khiera Meneris on March 08, 2004, 01:23:22 AM
@Cacunai, Fluffy & Eve:

"I'm an Eyelian, it is our natural ability to speak with the animals as though they were our kin,"

Yerun's eyes welled up with glistening tears, seeming like he was about to cry again as he stared at Eve, "R..really? I..I..am an ... Eyelian ... too ..." He soaked in silence about this new revelation. It was another of his tribe! He could ... go home!! Go home and leave this bad place, go home to his people ... A smile crept up on Yerun's face, but it quickly died away again when he realized that he must first find out what happened to his parents.

"Dunno. She must be somewhere around. I've seen her some minutes ago." Yerun wondered if the Ramblers had ran away from Cacunai, or the other way around, but Thaetum's sudden hurl of a dagger towards a tree drew his attention away, and lo and behold, there emerged Cacunai, now with a streak of crimson right across a cheek, a menacing and murderous expression on her face. Whosoever shall fling another knife, shall go to his grave today. "Now then."

Her tone chilled Yerun. Thaetum took one quick glance at Cacunai, registered in his mind that she was an elf, and was about to retaliate with another dagger to her neck, when she approached Yerun and knelt down at Yerun. Thaetum stayed his hand, seeing that Yerun and Cacunai seem to knew each other, his brows furrowed dangerously.

The rats upon Yerun scrambled away chittering as Cacunai approached, with only Fuzzytail still perched regally atop his shoulder.  

"Yerun, where have you been?"

Shamed-faced, Yerun half whimpered, "I..I d..don't know ... g..got l..lost a..a..and th..they ... f..found me." He made weak gestures towards the rats and Eve besides him, and then hung down his head, "I..I.. I am s..s..sorry."

Seeing what unfolded between Cacunai and Yerun, Thaetum felt like he should step forth and apologize, but then decided that Cacunai should not have been hiding and sneaking around spying on them, so, with a snort to match Cacunai's, he gruffly spoke to the whole group, "Alright, well now, odd bunch aren't you all? I'll leave questions for later. Now, can we move on??" Turning around, he striding forward, and then turned back again with a brief pause, speaking an afterthought, "And the boy's not my responsibility, you hear? Cripes, what a crazy day! And those rats, keep them away from my boots boy, i don't see where i stomp." Muttering something to himself, Thaetum turned around again, knowing that whoever wanted to follow him would do so.

Yerun glanced hopefully at Eve, "H..He's taking us t..to th..the stones, right?" Scooping Fuzzytail into his hands, Yerun stroked Fuzzytail gently before slipping the rat into his jacket pocket, "The ... the others are coming, r..right?"

His last wide-eyed gaze was for Cacunai, "Y..You are c..coming too, right?"



Alrighty, post in this thread to wrap up for this thread, and then make a post each in The Ring of Stones thread, and we'll be moving along ;)



Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Cacunai on March 08, 2004, 04:02:22 AM
Well, boy, I've lost my guide and I've lost my protection from the elves of the wood, so I suppose I'll have to [come].

She straightened, but made a point of ignoring Thaetum and speaking only to Yerun.

It is all right, Yerun, that you ran. I found you again, didn't I? And the rats found you too... after running from me....

She gave a short, sharp laugh that held no malice, accompanied by a small smile. Immediately after, she spun to face Thaetum and narrowed her eyes. She would have to watch him, and if he attacked again, well, he'd see the power of belle morte....

Edited by: Cacunai at: 3/7/04 20:04


Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Evelaria on March 08, 2004, 06:52:22 PM
Evelaria smiled at Yerun's face lighting up. She hoped that he didn't want her to take him home to Vezash or anything. Her parents had been thrown out because of some crazy beliefs that a burning tree would invoke the wrath of Ava'. Eve wasn't from the Eyelian clans territory, nor did she claim it. She was a Mullog. "It is good to see another Eyelian...we aren't too far away from...well...you know, the others."

"Alright, well now, odd bunch aren't you all? I'll leave questions for later. Now, can we move on?? And the boy's not my responsibility, you hear? Cripes, what a crazy day! And those rats, keep them away from my boots boy, i don't see where i stomp."

Eve laughed and then rolled her eyes. "Yes, we can move on...just be patient."



Title: Re: The Shivering Woods
Post by: Fluffy Ramblers on March 09, 2004, 05:59:22 AM
"If the others are coming? Uh... guess so," - answered Fuzzytail to the boy: "We don't have much choice, you know. We're lost here. The woods are just too big for us to find the way out. 'Till now we hoped you'd lead us away from here."

The ratty troupe gathered close to Yerun and followed the Ramblers who followed the boy who followed Cacunai and Eve who followed Thaetum. Fuzzytail, sitting in Yerun's warm pocket again, wondered if Thaetum was following someone else. Oddly enough, the man seemed to know the way.


-----
Squee! Narf! For the Cheese!
The ratty story