Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dorrum's Outpost  (Read 5590 times)
Khiera Meneris
Troubled Wanderer
Approved Character

Human, Hjoria

« on: November 17, 2003, 11:11:22 PM »

As you come closer to the outpost, you see rows of tents with the coat of arms of Kyrania arranged haphazardly in a circular pattern. You notice about 5 Kyranian guards walking around leisurely, joking and chatting to each other, and wonder if the rest of the men were in their tents or drilling elsewhere.

You also notice a tall, wooden look-out post that was taller than some of the Ashwude trees around the encampment. As you look up towards the platform at the top of the look-out post, you see the tall figure of a man, and from down afar, you can just make out that he has a head full of silver hair, with a long silver beard. He seems to be staring out towards the Shivering Woods, lost in deep thought.

Kiushapo
Kissing Captain
Approved Character

Elf

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 09:09:22 AM »

With the strange symbol on his mind, Kiushapo hardly noticed the rest of the walk to the outpost, but as soon as he smelled the cookpots, it all came back to him.

Quickly scanning the outpost, it looked pretty ordinary, but the guards waiting ahead meant he'd better wait for Elric to introduce them before inquiring about dinner.

Simple answers to life's questioning. T'would be a greater magic that I have ever been seeing.
Kiushapo's Story

Simple answers to life's questioning. T'would be a greater magic that I have ever been seeing.
Khiera Meneris
Troubled Wanderer
Approved Character

Human, Hjoria

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 09:34:22 AM »

Elric stretched in relief as they finally reached their intended destination. The bruises and bumps that he had accumulated on his way here kind of gave him cramps, and stretching was a nice way of relief.

Elric turned towards Mina and Kiushapo, and pointed them towards the top of the looming watch tower that seem to stretch towards the heavens. "That's Lieutanent Dorrum. We want to be speaking to him." Elric sighed softly, "He never leaves the watchtower, except once every three days to bring up more food and supplies. He has been so sad and angered when the Princess disappeared, Lieutanent Dorrum has sworn to never leave the watchtower until the Princess has been found."

Elric looked around the camp grounds, and turned to Mina and Kiushapo again, "Well, i say that we should not waste another moment more, and make our way up the watchtower. Unless, both of you would like to rest a moment or maybe you have other things on your mind?" Elric glanced at Kiushapo, "I remember you saying that you were hungry, my friend?"  

The Tale of Khiera Meneris
Hold me. Soothe me. Love me. Save me from my Rage.

Mina
Ávash'deláey
Approved Character

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2004, 12:10:22 AM »

After the long walk, and no breakfast, Mina was feeling rather hungry herself.  

"I too am feeling a little famished.  Perhaps, if you do not mind, we could have a little to eat before speaking to the Lieutenant?"  

As she waited for Elric's reply, she wondered about Lieutenant Dorrum.  How much could he possibly do, I wonder, without leaving his tower......though I suppose he might be able to give a better account than most of what really happened when the Princess disappeared.  

Khiera Meneris
Troubled Wanderer
Approved Character

Human, Hjoria

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004, 04:16:22 AM »

Elric smiled. He had only realized that he was beginning to feel the hunger gnaw at him too, so eager to get away from Gavrin earlier in the morning that he was willing to skip breakfast just to get away.

"Yes, you are both right. Come, we shall have something to eat with the men."

Elric led Mina and Kiushapo to a circle of guards who were sitting around scooping into their bowls and chattering away. One of them saw Elric approaching and greeted Elric in a friendly manner, "Elric! Good to have you back again!" As he gave Elric a gregarious pat on the shouler, another man spoke up solemnly from his bowl, "We heard about Captain Gavrin." Elric merely nodded somberly. The men seemed to have an implicit understanding amongst each other.

Another guard who wore a threading worn green cap the other way around on his head spoke up towards Elric, "You should have also heard that the Prince is coming, have you not?"

Elric's response was a look of surprise. "He really is? I thought it was but a rumour."  

The Tale of Khiera Meneris
Hold me. Soothe me. Love me. Save me from my Rage.

Mina
Ávash'deláey
Approved Character

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2004, 04:44:22 AM »

Mina was quite surprised when the the Guard in a green cap mentioned that the Prince would be coming.  Of all the times he could have come since the Princess' disappearance, why did he choose now?

"Are you sure that the Prince is coming?" she asked, "And do you know why he picked this time?  I find it strange that he only decided to return so long after the Princess' disappearance."  

Her stomach was growling furiously now, and she could not wait to get something to eat, but she decided that it would be more polite to wait than ask for some food right now.  

There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no passion; there is serenity.
There is no death; there is the Force.

Kiushapo
Kissing Captain
Approved Character

Elf

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2004, 10:56:22 AM »

Kiushapo's hunger was the first thing on his mind as they entered the camp, but through the haze, he managed to catch the words about the Prince arriving, and Mina's subsequent questions.

Elric had promised food, but he supposed they were going to have to wait for the answers to Mina's questions first... or not, "Before we are hearing the answers, we were being attacked by trees on the way to getting here. It is taking a lot out of a man let me be telling you."

He wiped the sweat from his brow in an exaggerated gesture, hoping humor would move things along.

"Do you think it is being possible we can be eating as we are talking?"

Kiushapo's Story

Khiera Meneris
Troubled Wanderer
Approved Character

Human, Hjoria

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2004, 01:13:22 PM »

The guards chuckled at Kiushapo's words. They knew all about hunger, especially when one was on patrol and the cook just conveniently missed cooking one's portion. One of them spoke up with a mouthful of what seemed to be chewed up bits of meat and porridge, "Aye, you'll get more than trees shooting at ye if ye venture into them woods!" The other men nodded in agreement.

And so, Mina and Kiushapo were subsequently hustled into the group, and handed bowls of porridge and roasted meat. Elric picked up a hearty piece of what seemed to be the leg of a deer, and took an equally hearty bite. He wasn't as clumsy when it came to food and eating, it seemed.

Turning to Mina as he downed a mug of water, Elric addressed Mina's question, "Rumours have been going around lately that the Prince was going to make a personal trip to Eresh." Elric shrugged. "Seems like the rumours weren't rumours at all. I don't know why the Prince would be coming, himself too, everyone was so sure that he was so traumatized on the day that the Princess disappeared, that he would never set foot anywhere near the woods ever. Word has it that the Prince has just recently discovered something that could lead to the safe return of the Princess, though, whether that's a rumour or not, we won't know until the Prince actually arrives."

Right, this is an opportunity to ask another question or two, if any, before things start to get heavy ;)  

Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.

Mina
Ávash'deláey
Approved Character

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2004, 07:16:22 AM »

Though hungry, Mina ate the porridge slowly. There was no point eating too fast anyway; it was only going to make her appear uncouth.  

Looking up for a moment, she asked Elric, "So, I suppose you won't happen to know what this new discovery is, would you?"  

A few mouthfuls of porridge later, she spoke again.  "Have you managed to find anything in all your time here, by the way?"  

She then returned to her porridge.  There were ther questions she wanted to ask, especially concerning the old man and his connection with Arialle, but she decided that it might be better to ask Lieutenant Dorrum instead.  In any case, he would probably know more than the guards here.  

Khiera Meneris
Troubled Wanderer
Approved Character

Human, Hjoria

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2004, 04:10:22 AM »

((OOC: Righto, i'll move you two along now ... ))

"So, I suppose you won't happen to know what this new discovery is, would you?"

Elric harumphed, which sounded like a snort with him trying to drink and speak at the same time. Obviously he was in a hurry. "I don't think anybody does except the Prince himself and his aides. Though, mark my words, it has to be a pretty big and important discovery of some kind for the Prince to even want to come all the way to Eresh himself, of all places." Elric spit out a piece of stray bone from the meat.

"Have you managed to find anything in all your time here, by the way?"

Elric took another long gulp of drink. "Only to never, ever venture into the woods alone. But then again, i've been here only 4 years, i know less than most of the men here, but Lieutenant Dorrum has been here all 7 years, he'll be able to tell you much. Lieutanent Dorrum says that something strange has been happening deep in the woods of late, strange movements, strange gatherings. As soon as the Prince sent more men, he was going to organize a team to venture into the woods to try to find out more, but it seems now that the Prince himself is coming." One of the other guards piped in, "Also, never go into the woods after dark. You might as well be deaf when you enter the woods, those bloody trees. All you have are your eyes and the light to guide you, and if that fails, you are as good as gone." All the other guards nodded solemnly.

The rest of the hurried meal was finished in silence. Most of the guards seemed deep in thought about the Prince's coming arrival, and Elric merely wished for the meal to be over so that he could see the Lieutanent and arrange to venture into the woods.

Soon, Elric led Mina and Kiushapo unceremoniously up the tall watch tower, which was quite a climb. Upon reaching the platform at the very top, all three were quite breathless.

A tall, muscular figure stood motionless and stared somberly over the woods from the platform. Silver hair ran past the shoulders from a heavy helm, and a long silver beard reached down to the chest. As the figure turned around to face the trio, the face of a battle-worn elderly man came to light.

In a deep, commanding voice, he spoke, "Ah, Elric. I saw the three of you approaching the camp."

Elric nodded reverently at the man. "They are friends, sir, to venture into the woods."

The man Elric addressed as "Sir" looked towards both Mina and Kiushapo with a piercing gaze, awaiting for them to speak.

Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.

Kiushapo
Kissing Captain
Approved Character

Elf

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2004, 09:09:22 AM »

Having eaten his fill, and maybe a little more, the climb up the tower wasn't exactly the first thing Kiushapo would have done, his breath coming in short puffs as they finally reached the top.

There to greet them, was the ghostly visage of what he assumed was Lieutenant Dorrum. The man's silver hair and beard reminded him greatly of a spirit, but his sudden intake of breath was hidden behind his already sporadic breathing. Mumbling a reflexive oath, he wondered how hard it would be to talk this man from his post and out to sea...

The fellows voice was just as impressive and Kiushapo imagined he'd make a great ship's captain. The stuff of legend...

"I think you can be guessing that we are looking for the princess. Elric is having a high opinion of you, and has been saying that your are knowing much about these woods. Whatever you can be telling us about the obstacles that are being ahead, we would be meeting with much gratitude."

Kiushapo's Story

Mina
Ávash'deláey
Approved Character

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2004, 05:33:22 PM »

After the long climb, Mina was quite unable to speak.  In fact, she was so breathless she could barely stand.  Placing a hand upon the wall to steady herself, she thought I really need to get more exercise.

Fortunately, she had nearly recovered by the time Kiushapo finished speaking.  Taking a deep breath, she straightened up and said, "Yes, we were hoping that you would be able to help us with finding the princess.  We would be grateful for any advice you could give us concerning the Woods.  If you do not mind, could you also tell us what really happened when the princess disappeared?"

After pausing momentarily to take another deep breath, she continued, "I have also noticed an elderly man with a chrome staff around the town recently.  I was told that he was a companion of the prince and princess when they last visited Eresh.  What else could you tell us about him?  I am especially curious as to why some of the Guards, led by an elven knight named Valannia, had been searching for him.  Was he somehow involved in the princess' disappearance?"

She would have asked about Arialle too, but, with Elric around, she felt that it might be best if she did not.  Perhaps there would be another opportunity for her to do so in the future.  

After a while, she suddenly exclaimed, "Oh, I almost forgot!" Reaching into her bag, she pulled out the piece of bark that they had found near the Woods earlier and handed it to Lieutenant Dorrum.  "Would you happen to know what this is?"  

Edited by: Mina Aylwin at: 1/23/04 15:58

Khiera Meneris
Troubled Wanderer
Approved Character

Human, Hjoria

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2004, 12:57:22 PM »

The silver haired and beared man was indeed Lieutanent Dorrum, the famed Lieutanent in Eresh who had stood in his watchtower for 7 years unfailingly, awaiting the Princess' return.

Lt. Dorrum merely nodded grimly at Kiushapo's words. "The courage of simple men do not allow them to venture into the inner woods. Panic always ensues. If you ever enter the woods, make sure you are sharp of sight, or have a companion who is with you. The rustling of the Larkentir prevents any detection of ambush or stealth by the ear. Also, never rest for the night anywhere within the woods except Whistle Brook clearing at the Southeast point of the woods." He glanced briefly towards Elric, "The rest of the usual precautions Elric knows. Make sure all three of you stay together, and never leave each other's sight."

"I have also noticed an elderly man with a chrome staff around the town recently. I was told that he was a companion of the prince and princess when they last visited Eresh. What else could you tell us about him?"

Lt. Dorrum closed his eyes briefly as if trying to recollect something about what Mina had just said. "You say? Is he really here?" He asked, incredulously. "Caradol? He must be 90 this year!" Noticing Kiushapo and Mina's subsequent confused expressions, he cleared his throat and set out to explain, "The only man that i know of that would fit your description, especially possessing a chrome staff, is Caradol, King Aprag's advisor, and has been for many, many years. He was already the advisor when i joined the Royal Kyranian Guard." Lt. Dorrum stroked his beard thoughtfully, "But why would he be here? Without the King? Or perhaps he is heralding the arrival of the Prince? But why would the guards be after him then? This is all ... very, very strange." Lt. Dorrum made a mental note to himself to sought further information about Caradol from Captain Gavrin.

When Mina handed over the piece of bark to the Lt., the quizzical expression on his face turned back to one of grim somberness. "We have found these strange symbols etched on the rocks and ground on our few ventures into the woods. The men don't like to talk about it, they think it is evil sorcery at work, much like those of the Silverhand." Elric looked away. "But i believe them to be symbols or writing of the elves in the woods. Perhaps they are trying to tell us something, but no one knows how to decipher these symbols."

Lt. Dorrum leaned over the railing, by which if one looked down from would have a bird's eye view of the tree tops of the woods. Pointing outwards over the woods, the Lt. spoke, "I have been observing strange movements in the woods of late. There has been ... congregations, especially in the inner woods. These gatherings are of a large scale too. Without a scouting band into the woods, it is hard to tell what is going on. But there have been ... difficulties in assembling men to venture into the woods." He shrugged, as if angry and yet understanding about the men's reluctance to venture into the woods to search for his beloved princess.

One more post from each of you, and off into the woods we go ;)

Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.

Mina
Ávash'deláey
Approved Character

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2004, 01:23:22 PM »

"The dark elves have been holding large gatherings in the Woods?" she said to no one in particular.  This does not sound good.  I hope they're not planning an attack or anything like that.

Mina looked down at the forest, following the Lieutenant's gaze.  Unfortunately, her poor eyesight meant that she could see little worth seeing.  "Since we are heading into the Woods anyway, perhaps we could help you with that," she offered, "but...we could probably use a few more men, if any will go with us...just the three of us might not be enough."

Mina was starting to have second thoughts about heading into the Woods, but she did promise Elric that she would do so.  Besides, it might be the only way for them to find the princess, since none of the villagers appeared very willing to divulge any information, or knew too little to be of help in the first place.  Yes, perhaps the Woods is the only way.

((OOC: Time to fry some people.  *grins evilly*))

Khiera Meneris
Troubled Wanderer
Approved Character

Human, Hjoria

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2004, 11:10:22 PM »

@Mina & Kiushapo:

((OOC: Alright i'm moving you along ... *pokes Kiu* Frying? Don't forget the salt, pepper, vinegar and tabasco sauce for taste ;)  ))

"Since we are heading into the Woods anyway, perhaps we could help you with that, but...we could probably use a few more men, if any will go with us...just the three of us might not be enough."

A solemn expression crossed Dorrum's face, "Yes, it is true that the three of you would have slim chances in the woods, but alas i can spare you no men, because the Prince will be arriving soon, and he has ordered all men to be steered clear of the woods until he arrives. Unless i am know there is a certainty of finding the Princess alive in there with yoru venture, i cannot disobey a direct order." He clenched his fists and gritted his teeth, as if heeding the Prince's orders greatly against his will.

Dorrum turned towards Elric, and spoke grimly, " I know your reasons for wanting to go in there, lad, but i implore you to reconsider with a cool head. You may never step out again."

Elric stiffened, "I have made up my decision Lieutanent. If i do not venture forth, when the Prince arrives My Love will be lost to another man. I will either stop that, or die trying." He glanced gratefully towards Mina and Kiushapo, "I am thankful to have both of you with me, my friends."

Dorrum merely nodded, as if he thought that their fate was already sealed. "May the Gods watch kindly upon you."

Right, if you have nothing else to say to or ask Dorrum, and you are sure that you want to step into the woods, commence posting at the Shivering Woods thread :devilish   Remember that you can still ask questions and such to Elric along the way. Just make one post there (both of you), and i will move you along uhm, i mean, in :evil  

Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.

Edited by: Khiera at: 1/27/04 15:11
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]