Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Zonda'ar Corno  (Read 8067 times)
Zondaar
New Santharian

« on: September 18, 2003, 09:32:22 PM »

Zonda’ar

NAME: Sir Zonda’ar Corno

RACE: Human

TRIBE: Helcrani
          Former Kyranian, Thromgolin line (see family)

TITLE: Noble Wizard

APPEARANCE:
Tall man, 2 peds, 2 fores and 2 palmspans
Large and fat man, just an odd bit under 2 pygges
Flaming red hair, worn short
Slick red beard, also rather short
Emerald green eyes, usually looking tired
Milky white skin, doesn’t like sunlight

Clothing:
Soft woolen pants, light grey
Leather shoes, specially sized for comfort
Fine white silk tunic, made to look manly enough to avoid unnecessary jokes
Soft woolen surcoat, Royal blue
Heavy woolen cape, Royal blue for traveling

PERSONALITY:
Rather spoiled young man who values riches and luxury, fine foods and drinks. Firmly believes in the noble-merchant-peasant system (being a noble) and will try to categorize everybody he meets to fit into this system. He treats nobles as equals, merchants as useful and peasants as necessary. He is as conservative as his family and wants to uphold their superiority over the working class.
Zonda’ar avoids doing physical exercises if he can (what are servants good for after all?).
Whenever he wants something, he can become extremely focused on obtaining whatever it is he wants and he is used to succeeding.
Used to making his own choices in life, he has a free mind and thinks out of the box. He has had a lot of time to get to know his own personality and has no trouble with his life’s choices and no regrets.

HISTORY:
Zonda’ar was born as the second son in the barony of Corno, located in the former kingdom of Kyrania. His father, Collecte Corno, who is an important player in local noble politics and made sure Zonda’ar had the best upbringing, education and environment available.

The firstborn in his family was his sister, Ryat’ar, who has recently engaged herself with the third son of a very impotant nobleman (and close fiend to his father). His older brother, Coll’ar, has always been destined to follow in his fathers footsteps and seems to have fully accepted this role. Zonda’ar himself, being the second son, was hoped to follow a more religious path. Later he was given a choice to change his carreer, which he did to travel off to the wizard academy of Ximax.
Family intrigues: His mother has never interested herself in the royal courts intrigues, but kept herself busy finding young soldiers to accompany her on a more personal level.
The previous future husband for his sister has vanished mysteriously after a big party following the festival. Some had found him less suitable anyway…

So, Zonda’ar had been destined to become at least a priest and probably high priest and his education had been focused on that goal. Although he never really cared for religion, he didn’t question this while he was very young and it gave him an excuse to avoid situations or jobs he didn’t like.
They taught him to read and write, to concentrate and to search his inner self. Many of his tutors noticed his clever intellect and extensive fantasy, but they found his lack of faith disturbing (hé hé hé).

After several conflicts he made up his mind, that religion was not his calling. He took his concerns to his father and proposed that he let him study at the academy of Ximax to become a wizard. Collecte saw that this would prove equally prestigious and useful for the barony and granted his wish. On his 14th birthday, he traveled off to Ximax to enroll.
This turned out to be very successful and Zonda’ar discovered that indeed there was one thing he could motivate himself for and it was magic!
From the start, Zonda’ar has always been most interested in Ecua magic. For him this represents power and control over magic itself as the highest form of magic. The path to this magic would take him trough the rigorous studies of Ximax first, where he chose to follow the path of Fire as a preparation. Any element would have done for him, but Fire drew his attention right away as it represents the pure energy residing in magic.

Recently, after 13 years of study and reaching fourth level, Zonda'ar received his staff from his noble fellow students, and decided to look for wider horizons to deepen his understanding of magic in a less tutor-to-student oriented way.
The staff is hardened to withstand swordblows and repaires small cuts over time.

STRENTHS and WEAKNESSES:
Strengths:
He is very intelligent and creative. His upbringing gave him a lot of free time, which he used develop his mind and let his fantasy roam free.
He is headstrong to get what he really wants and has an independent will. He has always been dependent on his own choices and will not easily accept authority unless he chooses to do so.
He is well educated and knows how to behave in higher circles. He knows how others react to the way he handles himself in conversations and social occasions.
The only physical feat he has ever tried to master is to fight with a staff, which he learned at Ximax. He realised it was a necessity if he wanted to go out and adventure and thus chose to learn to defend himself with it.
Weaknesses:
Apart from staff fighting, he is physically untrained. Zonda'ar has always found it much more interesting to do intellectual work and thus has build little strength or agility.
He has low personal motivation and endurance to do anything that he doesn't really want to do, except for studying and practicing magic. He has no stamina and chooses the easy way whenever he can.
He is a strong follower of caste system, with nobles being superior to peasants. He has great difficulty accepting insults and badmouthing from infiriors. Peasants with authority need to have this backed up by someone proper (aka a noble).
Spoiled and fond of luxury, Zonda'ar finds it hard to resist temptation, as he sees no real reason why he should deny himself the good things in life.

POSESSIONS:
See clothing, plus spare clothing
Royal blue hardwood staff with embedded aquamarine, hardened and selfrepairing.
Family signet ring, gold with precious stones
Some spending gold (100 gold pieces)
Make-up, party clothing, shaving utensils

MAGIC:
Fire magic:
Spells:
... 1. Flame Control
... 1. Rise Flame
... 1. Searing
... 2. Boiling Blood
... 2. Light
... 4. Burning Regeneration

Edited by: Zondaar at: 9/23/03 7:04
Mina
Ávash'deláey
Approved Character

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2003, 11:09:22 PM »

Welcome to Santharia.  First of all, note that the Kyranian tribe no longer exists.  They have become the Helcrani, I believe.  Likewise, the kingdom of Kyrania no longer exist.  

You should include a magic section if your character is a mage.  You're also too young to have graduated from Ximax.  It takes about 24 years to reach level 6, which is the graduation level.  It might take you longer than that, since Ecua magic isn't exactly easy, especially for a human.  Xeua and Ecua mages are mostly elves, while humans tend to stick with elemental magic.  There are always exceptions, of course.  

Zondaar
New Santharian

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2003, 11:20:22 PM »

Right, I hadn't quite captured the fact the Kyranian kingdom no longer exists. Could you refer me to more detailed info on that? I assume the noble class still exists and will edit accordingly.

About the magic section, I could have followed 12 years of study, making for half the duration, that would make me level 3? Could you refer me to apporpriate spells?

In Magico, Potentis Est.

Mina
Ávash'deláey
Approved Character

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2003, 11:31:22 PM »

The information on the Kyranians is here.  Their social structure doesn't exist anymore, I think.  You can find more information on the Helcrani here.  

To reach level 3 in magic, you only need about 9 years.  The higher the level, the longer it takes to complete them.  There are some Ecua spells on the main site, but the list is far from complete.  

Zondaar
New Santharian

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2003, 11:37:22 PM »

"They turn to the Caltharians for help and give them some land on the eastern fores where they build five villages"

I understood that only a part of Kyrania was given to found the Helcrani...
Can I assume that in fact the nobles from the former Kyrania would resist a change to their social structure. They could still believe in that system and keep dominating the peasants?

In Magico, Potentis Est.

Mina
Ávash'deláey
Approved Character

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2003, 11:53:22 PM »

Quote:
The murder of the elven prince triggers a series of retaliatory elven attacks against the Kyranians: their villages, towns, hamlets are all burned. They turn to the Caltharians for help and give them some land on the eastern fores where they build five villages: Sostra, Heleroth, Ahaiwana, Menegula and Codomma. They name their lands "Helcrah" which means "Firedamn" in their tongue and also take on the name of "Helcrani" for themselves which means "the Firedamned".

I think this means almost all of the Kyranians became the Helcrani.  As for the nobility, I'm not very sure, though I doubt that it would have remained the same even if it did survive.  

Coren FrozenZephyr
New Santharian

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2003, 12:31:22 AM »

Zondar, I'm sorry to be the strict &nasty one, (I know how disappointing this is), but you cannot be an Ecua mage at that age.

The reasons are as follows (so it's not simply the case of having a God character or not)

1- Ecua and Xeua are the most powerful and the hardest to master of all spell types. And it takes waaaaaaaaay longer to learn a L1 Ecua/Xeua spell then an elemental one. This is, I believe, the main reason why we don't have too many humans who mastered the art - they don't tend to live that long. Of course we have some famous human mages in that area, but they all started their career with another type of  magic- which brings me to:

2- Since the afore mentioned classes deal with the bonds between the elements, a Xeua/Ecua mage must have a firm understanding of all the elements. 90% of these mages have finished their education in one of the elemental fields (wind, water, fire, earth), and I guess the remaining percentage has studied even more. Also it is almost impossible to become an Ecua mage without proper schooling (Ximax probably).

3- But this, by no means say that you can NEVER become one. Just start with an elemental mage (also, although I'd love to have a weaver around, i don't think any of the admins/mods will give an okay sign for that) and slowly work on to this character. Or...you could always cheat... (writing PAGES of history...)

*Also, I'd advise, in case you're overwhelmed with all these requirements, that you wait for the new guide-in-progress.

I know, the spells you chose don't seem to be all that powerful, but it is the concept that lies beneath them that makes it impossible for your character to master them.

Mortus Pryde
IRC Chatroom Op
Approved Character

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2003, 12:35:22 AM »

Mina is right, it did not remain the same. however some elements of aristocracy still remain. It would be a stretch, but not an unrealistic one to say that a few family lines managed to resist the social change and still live by a social hierarchy. BTW these would most likely be almost all noble lines.

I will go through in more detail later. Only enough time for a quick read right now.

Admin & Character Layout Expert
Contact at:
MSN: the1mortus@hotmail.com (DO NOT send e-mails here.)

Mina
Ávash'deláey
Approved Character

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2003, 12:42:22 AM »

Xeua/Ecua is harder to master than elemental magic, but remember that humans learn things a lot faster than elves do.  The reason humans prefer elemental magic is shown in the quote below.  They would rather follow a set formula to get the result they want, instead of understanding how things works.  
Quote:
While elves are more inclined to understand the way of nature, how the world around them works and functions, humans try to capture things, to find terms and explanations for things and put them in boxes instead of accepting the unexplainable and live with it. Humans prefer the result rather than the direct path it takes to get there. Thus, while elves constantly desire to find new ways and discover how things work, most humans are content to merely follow the set formula that they’re given without questioning how it’s all done. For this reason, humans are more likely to be Elemental mages, or mages who cast magic to gain an effect.

Quote:
Elves have an instinctive desire to see how things work, how different things can be put together to make something new. For elven mages, magic is a part of their life and not often something they can learn or study, but rather discover. For this reason, elves are more likely to be Xeuá mages

Zondaar
New Santharian

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2003, 01:06:22 AM »

So if I make a quick summary so far:
It could be okay to state that my family is so conservative that they do all they can to keep the system working (see apartheid right now).
I guess the nobleman part would be the center of my character, so I'd love to keep that.

As far as magic is concerned, my character certainly isn't a godly character and I won't try to bend the rules on this one.
I do however feel that seeing his education to become a priest and his out of the box thinking, he can have the ambition to learn Ecua magic and strive to learn more over time. I can even see this as an incentive for adventuring.
I'll edit my studies to have him become an elemental mage first.

Could you clarify more on the magic levels, cause I seem to have missed that:veryconfused
Again, can I make my own selection of spells or do you have a list available?

In Magico, Potentis Est.

Arancaytar Ilyaran
New Santharian

Homepage
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2003, 01:31:22 AM »

There was a discussion a short while ago about what the standard ages (for humans) should be at each level. So far, this is the result. I don't think it's on the main site, but buried somewhere within the forum.

Assuming a human would enter the Ximax academy at the age of twelve, he/she would start at Level 0 (No magic skills). Then he/she would advance at the following speed.

Level 0: 12
Level 1: 14.5
Level 2: 17
Level 3: 21
Level 4: 25
Level 5: 30
Level 6: 36

Levels go up to 12, but the highest any human can hope for is 9/10 at most, and I think they don't allow higher levels than 7/8 for RPG characters, to avoid god characters.

Any graduate from Ximax (completing the basic training), would be at Level 6, further levels would require more studying. As Mina said, after nine years of training you'd be at Level 3 (ages 12 to 21).

Another thing. Those weaknesses/strengths look good, but maybe write them out in full sentences, and describe them a little. Requirements are being loosened, and this might not be totally necessary, but it's always nice to read through if there's just a slight bit more description.

Arancaytar Ilyaran

"He who quotes me is a fool"

Mina
Ávash'deláey
Approved Character

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2003, 12:51:22 AM »

We do allow up to level 10, last I heard, but I think that with the 'page rule' gone, they're limiting such powerful mages to experienced players only.  By the way, humans can reach level 11, but as far as I know, level 11 mages are Archmagi.  I think this means that there's only 6 of them at any one time(one for each of the main towers).  

Zondaar, I think it's fine if your family is extremely conservative and does all they can to stick to such a system.  

Edited by: Mina Aylwin at: 9/18/03 16:56

Coren FrozenZephyr
New Santharian

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2003, 01:24:22 AM »

Concerning the spell levels, classes, academy schedule, and spell lists, Rayne and I have been working on these for the last couple of weeks, and we are likely to post the results in two or three weeks time. In the meanwhile, the magic section looks pretty nice at the moment. And unless you really want to get everything sorted out at once, I'd advise that you wait till these entries. (once the char gets approved, you can start rping right away, but for more spells and the Ecua business I think you should wait a bit. Also you can always contact me - if you see me that is, since all the lessons are killing me atm - through msn: alpturan2003@yahoo.com

EDIT: Just read the rest of the profile. Very nice job, everything is compacted and ready to go. Neither too vague to upset the mods, nor too detailed (ufff, i really should work on this...) to explain everything at once and spoil the fun for fellow rpgers. :thumbup  And you can always come back and edit the profile

Edited by: Coren FrozenZephyr at: 9/18/03 17:33
Arancaytar Ilyaran
New Santharian

Homepage
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2003, 04:59:22 AM »

Mina: I actually meant "most humans can hope to achieve". Of course you can become an archmage, but it's a hard process, and only the best mages make it. Usually you would expect to encounter a mage well below Level 10 anywhere out of Ximax, there are really few mages above that.

Zonda, basically like Coren said already: Any character having magic right now is going to have some trouble. Don't worry, it's got nothing to do with the quality of your description, but the magic system update Coren mentioned is causing a lot of delay for mage characters.

Arancaytar Ilyaran

"He who quotes me is a fool"

Coren FrozenZephyr
New Santharian

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2003, 05:17:22 AM »

::time to get paranoid::

You talkin' to me? Ha? U know what it takes to see sunshine after all these chem, physics and biology 4&5s? Ha?

Why can't u wait? Still workin' on it!

::resumes being normal::

Ohh... I wanted to do this for a very long time... nothing personal Aran - jsut me acting :crazy  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]