Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chapter 1: Whispering Rumors  (Read 28161 times)
Phiona Whitefire
New Santharian

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2003, 07:35:22 AM »

Phiona was enjoying her hot breakfast of sausage, eggs and toast when Severine approached.  She glanced sideways at the handsome man as he walked up, noting that he showed no evidence of last night's brawl.  Remembering the vivid bruise on her neck, seen in the looking-glass this morning, Phiona could only shake her head in wonder.  Would that I were that resilient!

He said,  "Hello.  Your name is Phiona right? What got you to agree to this trip?"  She knew he was only making small talk and that was fine by her.    

Nodding, she gestured to the stool next to the one she sat on and finished off the last gulp of her tea while he sat down.  "Phiona Whitefire." and in answer to his second question, "I need the work."  She brushed a few crumbs off her burnt sienna dyed leather tunic and shifted to face him directly.

It was then that she noticed the hilt of Severine's sword, a bastard sword by the size of the sheath, much like her own.  The workmanship was far superior though, she could tell this merely from glancing at the weapon.  Peering at it, she asked rather abruptly, "Can I see it?"

"Fear not that thy life shall come to an end, but rather fear that it shall never have a beginning."    -John Henry Cardinal Newman (1801 - 1890)

SeverineHalo
New Santharian

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2003, 12:49:22 AM »

"Can I see it?"

Severine looked at Phiona for a moment. Of course she wasn't the first person to ask, nor was the cloaked man. For a sword that has been around for over 160 years, it did look like it was made yesterday. Taking out the sword, Severine gripped the silver and black handle, and pulled out the sword. The hilt was a shiny silver with a small inscription of a halo on it, and on the blade was a faded ancient inscription...even though the blade itself looked new. Very few people noticed it.

"Here you go," he said, giving it to Phiona. "And by the way, thanks for yesterday."

"Once again, the lone soldier walks off into the sunset..." -Anonymous

Zeadon
New Santharian

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2003, 01:13:22 AM »

Zeadon stood up from where he was sitting, fizing the placement of his belt, he pushed in his chair and advanced tords Severine and Phiona.

"umm excuse me?"

"May I join at this table?"

Glancing at the Sword, Phiona had in her hands, Zeadon became a little hesitant. Takeing a few steps back he waited for his reply.

SeverineHalo
New Santharian

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2003, 01:34:22 AM »

Severine turned to his head to the man before him. He looked suspicious, but he probably wanted to see his sword as well.

"Sure, i see no problem in that."

Tierria Selig
New Santharian

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2003, 02:18:22 AM »

Tierria walked over to the group sitting at the counter. The man was now talking to Severine. From the look on Severine's face, it didn't seem like anything bad was going on. That was a good sign.

"Morning Severine" she greeted. "Morning Phiona. How did all of you sleep last night?"

"How do you heal a man's heart when you always end up wounding it?"

Zeadon
New Santharian

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2003, 03:57:22 AM »

Sitting down next to the man Zeadon couldn't help but notice the shiny word that Severine was handing phiona. He couldn't resist asking about it.

"where did you get that amazing sword?"

Edited by: Zeadon at: 7/30/03 19:59
Phiona Whitefire
New Santharian

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2003, 04:03:22 AM »

She took the long hilt that that Seveine presented to her in her left hand.  It was surprisingly light for its size.  With care and respect for such a fine weapon, Phiona rested the flat of the blade atop the sleeve of her right arm.  She turned it toward the light so she could study the markings better.  The scribing was so faint, she could barely make it out... the etchings practically squirmed under her discernment and it almost hurt her to read them but she just couldn't turn away!  Heart of the Elders.... no, Let the destiny of the wielder echo the souls of the past. She tilted her head and peered closer, Now, that cannot be right.  Maybe it is this?   She whispered it aloud so Severine could hear, "Wielder of Destiny Echoes Souls of the Past."

"Umm excuse me?  May I join at this table?"

Phiona looked up at the interuption to see a blond man in a long, green cloak.  His face was weathered, but the blue eyes that looked upon them were youthful.  Most evident on his face was an old scar that ran from brow nearly to the chin, across his left eye  The man seemed hesitant, like he wanted to ask a question.

"Sure, I see no problem in that."  Replied Severine, as the man took the stool on his far side.

"Morning Severine" Tierria said as she walked up. "Morning Phiona. How did all of you sleep last night?"

Phiona nooded her own greeting as she turned back to studying the magnificent sword.  She placed it lightly on the countertop, the hilt within easy reach of its owner.  She grabbed her pack from the floor and pulled out the journal which was packed conveniently on top.  Phiona then fished out her scribing kit.  Without asking permission, Phiona began to copy precisely the words into her book, along with the alternate translations and the complete description of the bastard sword.  She finished with a small sketch of the blade, indicating the location of the halo.  

When she was done, she entered a small  tagline: Severine's Sword.  

"Fear not that thy life shall come to an end, but rather fear that it shall never have a beginning."    -John Henry Cardinal Newman (1801 - 1890)

Edited by: Phiona Whitefire at: 7/30/03 21:49
SeverineHalo
New Santharian

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2003, 05:20:22 AM »

Severine heard Zeadon's question as he watched Phiona carefully inspect the sword. He watched her head tilt to the side as she looked closely at the small inscriptions on the blade.

"Wielder of Destiny Echoes Souls of the Past."

So that's what it says, Severine thought to himself. I wonder what that means...

As he pondered the thought, he noticed how attractive the woman seemed to him while looking at the sword, and writing in her book. Realizing this, Severine blushed a little, hoping that nobody noticed this. He then decided to answer Zeadon's question.

"It's a sword that has been passed own through my family for generations. I'm surrpised that it still looks as good as it did when it was first made." Severine had to admit, he did feel a bit special that eevryone was staring at the weapon. Even the innkeeper and some waitresses, as well as some customers were looking at the awsome sight.

Hearing Tierria's vocie, he turned to her. "Morning Tierria" he greeted back. "I slept well enough to wake up this early. I checked on Rosebud and Alchemy. They're doing fine."

As Severine was going to ask Phiona something, he heard a voice.

"There you all are! I glad that everyone is here!"

Severine tunred his head, and saw Crestus walking towards them. The man looked at Zeadon, and smiled.

"Zeadon my friend, glad you could make it."

Phiona Whitefire
New Santharian

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2003, 05:17:22 AM »

As Voltair walked in, Phiona quickly decided to stash her journal and scribing kit away.  Leaving the sword out on the counter, she crouched on the floor next to her pack and packed the book well away, securing the ties.  She didn't want to chance losing the valued chronicle.

Edited by: Phiona Whitefire at: 7/30/03 21:20
Zeadon
New Santharian

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2003, 05:32:22 AM »

Zeadon made eye contact with Severine and listened with much interest."It's a sword that has been passed own through my family for generations. I'm surrpised that it still looks as good as it did when it was first made."

"Wow, what an amazing sword, shure beats mine own." Zeadon thought to himself

Turning his head he saw Crestus aproaching the group."Zeadon my friend, glad you could make it."

Shifting his body tords Crestus
"Glad to be here! Are these the people you were talking about?"

Turning back to Severine and Phiona, Zeadon pondered in his thoughts.
"Maybe this is the "time" and "place". That halo, I can't get it out of my mind. I remember my father's letter he left me when I inherited my two Arhks. It said follow the halo for it will bring you to your destiny.........."

Snapping back to reality Zeadon turns to Crestus and awaits for more details.

Edited by: Zeadon at: 7/30/03 21:39
Tierria Selig
New Santharian

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2003, 07:12:22 AM »

As Tierria looked closely, she could see that they were discussing about Severine's sword. The blade was a magnificent one indeed, and she remebered how Severine would ask Lelor when he was going to be able to use it from time to time. The sword did belong to Severine's father at one time...

Huh?

Tierria stared closely at Severine. She had saw Severine blushing a little when she was walking towards them, but she didn't think he actually was. But now that she looked closely, she coudl she that he still kinda was...at Phiona? Could it be possible? The woman was beautiful indeed, but she never saw Severine blush at another woman before. Except for Tierria herself.

Deciding not to let it bother her much, Tierria turned her attention to Voltaire, who just came in.  

Phiona Whitefire
New Santharian

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2003, 05:45:22 PM »

Phiona stood up again, bringing the pack up off the floor and resting it on the barstool.  As she made minor adjustments here and there on the pack, she listened to the others speak .  Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Tierria watching them.  Was she staring?  Odd that she stood aside like that, it made Phiona wonder if something was bothering the young woman.  

Finally finished fiddling with the pack, Phiona turned and leaned her back against the bar, preferring to stand for now.  Her shoulder inadvertently brushed against Severine's arm as she settled in place.  She realized she might be crowding him a bit.  She took a half step away to give Severine room, looking down at the floor to hide a sudden, inexplicable smile.  

SeverineHalo
New Santharian

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2003, 12:57:22 AM »

“Yes, these are the two that I was talking about” Crestus said, putting a hand on Zeadon’s shoulder. “Don’t they look strong? I’m telling you, this trip will go well. But, there’s this elf…Ripe Tide…or something…” Crestus starts to think to himself for a moment. “Ah! Ripp Dide! He’s going with me on the rest of my trade route! These two and the young lady are going with me to Sheren Village. Ripp, we will meet in Sharadon forest by this small stream, near the road.”

“Sheren Village?” asked Severine. “Where is that?”

Crestus turned to Severine, adjusting the gold chain that was around his neck. “Its just pass Sharadon Forest, north of here. A few days of traveling, possibly a tad bit more. You don’t mind, do you?”

Severine shook his head. “No, not at all.” Severine saw Phiona staring at the ground from the corner of his eye.

What’s with her? He wondered to himself.

He then turned back to Crestus. “Well, I think we should gather my aj, and Tierria her horse. It’s best to get this done with as fast as possible. By the way, what are we taking to Sheren Village?”

“Weapon and armor to these mercenaries that are guarding the village from bandits. I’m sure that they’ll like your company as well.”

“Alright” said Severine, grabbing his sword and sheath, and started heading towards the door. “Come on Tierria.”

I guess I found another way to make money after this…

Edited by: SeverineHalo at: 7/31/03 18:41
Tierria Selig
New Santharian

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2003, 03:29:22 AM »

Tierria stared at Phiona, looking down at the floor when Severine called for her. It seemed like the girl had a smile on her face.

What could she be smiling about? Tierria wondered to herself.

"Oh well..." Tierria followed Severine. Quickly walking next to him, she decided to ask him about something that would take her mind off of what it was on at the moment

"What happened with the cloaked figures?" she asked. "Are you going to ask Crestus about this 'Ivory Fox' character that you told me about last night?"

Phiona Whitefire
New Santharian

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2003, 04:07:22 AM »

As Severine and Tierria walked outside, followed by the merchant, Phiona grabbed her packs and weapons.  The innkeeper entered the room from the kitchens just then.  On a rare impulse she asked him, "Do you know the merchant, Crestus Voltaire?"

The innkeeper began to wipe down the counter with a soapy rag.  "That one?  He comes in here on a regular basis and hires people as guards.  Only the toughest looking people does he talk to.  'Tho your fight last night was a plus since he got to see you fight first."  He smiled, "I like a gal who can handle herself in a brawl... don't see that too much anymore."

"Mmmm."  Phiona glanced around and saw that Zeadon was still in the room.  She lowered her voice, leaned forward and asked the inkeeper, "Regular basis?  How regular?  What about the people he hires?"

Now the innkeeper was rinsing the soap off the counter with a different rag. "Dunno.  Maybe he only pays them for a one way trip.  That Crestsu comes around about twice a month looking for help.  There's some organized banditry up north, I hear, but I haven't heard about killing... just robbing.  Heh, guess that's why he needs the guards."  He grinned at his cleverness.

"My thanks."  Phiona nodded and placed on the counter a few spare coins from her money pouch.  "Good luck to you."  She took her things and went out the door.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]