Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Northern Gate(Voldar)  (Read 3334 times)
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« on: June 08, 2005, 05:01:22 AM »

Just south of the Bolder Forest, the Northern Gate of Voldar stands tall and heavily guarded. Through this gate is where all land trade passes in and out of the city. All merchants, in order to enter the city, must present the proper paperwork and identification to even think of gaining access through this gate. No one other than the guards and approved merchants are allowed through this gate. If anyone is caught attempting to enter the city through this way, and all are caught, they will be interrogated heavily and thrown in prison for an unidentified length of time.  
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 01:47:47 AM by Capher » Logged

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Thraz the Mighty
New Santharian

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 12:34:22 AM »

Thraz rode up to the Northern Gate of the city of Voldar on his trusty steed, Mortil. The pony had galloped for several leagues, but that was easy for a Landesh pony. Mortil was not even close to being winded. The gate towered over the short Dwarf and appeared to be heavily guarded. Thraz did not fear hidden archers, for no arrow could pierce his Dwarven armor. There appeared to be several guards posted at the gate, and each one was well armed. Thraz rode Mortil up to the gate and shouted to the guards.

"My name is Thraz the Mighty and I seek to enter the city of Voldar."

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 02:22:22 AM »

Guard

"My name is Thraz the Mighty and I seek to enter the city of Voldar."

A window opened up in the tower and a man looked down.  He yelled back down.  "What is that to us?" He asked sarcastically.  "If you want entrance your going to have to go to the main gate.  All gates to the city have been closed by order of the King except the main one.  That would be Damien's Gate.  So if you want entrance, go there."

Then the guard shut the window.

Capher.

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 02:35:22 AM »

A lone guard watched the dwarf from a distance. He was speaking to one of the many merchants who passed through this gate from time to time. There had been a lot of travellers attempting to come through this gate yet it did not surprise him. Those who are coming from the north would find it easier to come through this gate instead of having to walk around to the main gate where all are instructed to go to.

"Hey there dwarf. Why do you seek entrance to the city?" He shouted to the visitor as he gave admittance to the merchant and watch him make his way into the slowly opening gate before it was quickly closed yet again.  

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Thraz the Mighty
New Santharian

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 06:01:22 AM »

"Hey there dwarf. Why do you seek entrance to the city?"

Thraz looked for the source of the voice and discovered that another guard was speaking to him. After the rude display of the other guard, Thraz was beginning to get irritated. These tall folk thought that just because they towered over him that they could use him as a doormat! He would teach them to respect Thraz the Mighty!

"Do I have to have a reason for everything I do?" Thraz inquired, "But since you asked, I might as well tell you."

Thraz paused for a moment to look over the human that addressed him. All the tall folk were the same, their heads were so high in the clouds that their minds didn't function right. It must have something to do with breathing thin air.

"I'm just passing through. Though I might look over the architecture in Voldar while I'm here. If it wasn't made by a Kurakim Dwarf, then it wasn't made right."

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 08:09:22 AM »

"Do I have to have a reason for everything I do?"

"But since you asked, I might as well tell you."

"I'm just passing through. Though I might look over the architecture in Voldar while I'm here. If it wasn't made by a Kurakim Dwarf, then it wasn't made right."

The young guard couldn't help but chuckle at the dwarf who now stood before him. It was not that they did not see many dwarves pass through the gates of Voldar. No, it wasn't that at all, but it was the fact that this dwarf in particular had an amusing attitude about him. Realizing the guard had kept the poor traveller waiting he quickly calmed his thoughts and replied as frankly as he could at the time being.

"Well, during these times, yes. You have to have a reason for just about everything you do concerning this city. It is a pain but a requirement several of us guards would be willing to share with you if you were interested."

After a short pause the young man smiled broadly, coming up with what he believed was a clever idea. "Since you have come to this gate and don't seem to be much of a threat, I might just let you through this gate instead of walking about the wall to the main gate. But this is under one condition. We have a task for you, well, more like our King has a task for you. This would require us to inform you of the happenings of this city. Upon accepting this, I can guarantee you will get to see ALL of the magnificent buildings in this city your heart desires and if you do our King well, he may just ask for your aid in building a few more for his pleasure. What do you say good dwarf?"

Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Thraz the Mighty
New Santharian

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 01:12:22 AM »

"Well, during these times, yes. You have to have a reason for just about everything you do concerning this city. It is a pain but a requirement several of us guards would be willing to share with you if you were interested."

"Since you have come to this gate and don't seem to be much of a threat, I might just let you through this gate instead of walking about the wall to the main gate. But this is under one condition. We have a task for you, well, more like our King has a task for you. This would require us to inform you of the happenings of this city. Upon accepting this, I can guarantee you will get to see ALL of the magnificent buildings in this city your heart desires and if you do our King well, he may just ask for your aid in building a few more for his pleasure. What do you say good dwarf?"

Thraz considered the man's offer. He would not like having to walk around to the main gate, considering that he had an opportunity to enter this one. But to perform a task for a king? This foolish whelp did not know who he was talking to!

"I do not bow to your king nor any other! I am Thraz the Mighty!"

But maybe he should perform this task for their king. Surely a king would reward such an action with gold and gems. There was not a dwarf in the world of Caelereth that did not love gems. He could not let his anger control him, for this was an opportunity to have adventures! He could fight new foes! Surely there was a drake or troll troubling the countryside that he could slay.

"I would like to learn more of Voldar and see the buildings that it has. I am not a builder, but any dwarf could build better than a human! Anyway, my talents are more aligned to destruction than they are creation. I would accept this task from your king, but I must first know what it is. My father did not raise a fool!"

Thraz began to stroke Mortil's neck as he awaited an answer from the guard. It had been a while since his axe had last tasted blood, and he was eager to conquer more dangerous foes. It would serve no purpose to anger the guards, for humans died all too easily.

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 02:04:22 AM »

"I do not bow to your king nor any other! I am Thraz the Mighty!"

The guard nodded knowingly, "I am not asking you to bow to my King or any King for that matter. And who you are really has no meaning to me but very well Thraz the Mighty. Welcome to Voldar."

"I would like to learn more of Voldar and see the buildings that it has. I am not a builder, but any dwarf could build better than a human! Anyway, my talents are more aligned to destruction than they are creation. I would accept this task from your king, but I must first know what it is. My father did not raise a fool!"

"As for the building, that is what you would discuss with the King but as for this task, it may be more along your lines of desire. If you would follow me please, we shall find a place where we can speak in private." The young guard turned on his heel and headed toward the gate and demanded for it to be opened to allow himself and another to enter quickly upon Royal matters. Once inside the gate, he led the dwarf to a quiet room just inside the walls of the city in one of the guard's quarters.

"This should be sufficient. To start from the beginning, there is a rebellion. It started many years ago when a man by the name of Lord Voltigar. He believes he has a right to the throne and is the rightful heir and our King is an imposter. Over the years, he has been able to gather a bit of a following for him and they tend to lie low in the city. At one point, Voltigar almost had the throne yet his plot was uncovered and he was removed from the city. But, he seems to be back now. Not with as much force as before but we cannot tie him to the strange happenings in the city. People have been disappearing, things have been disappearing. These things are important government items which belong to the King. Yet, everything which is done has been done so well we cannot pinpoint who is doing this or where they get their orders from or anything. It is as if there are ghosts in the city. We need your help in retrieving information on these people and what their plans are and if they are associated with Lord Voltigar."

Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Thraz the Mighty
New Santharian

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 02:16:22 AM »

"I am not asking you to bow to my King or any King for that matter. And who you are really has no meaning to me but very well Thraz the Mighty. Welcome to Voldar."

Thraz relaxed as he heard the guard call him by his rightful name. Anyone who dared to say that he was not mighty would taste the steel of his axe!

"As for the building, that is what you would discuss with the King but as for this task, it may be more along your lines of desire. If you would follow me please, we shall find a place where we can speak in private."

Thraz dismounted from his pony, Mortil, and followed the guard inside. Only a foolish thief would dare to steal the pony from Thraz the Mighty! For once, a human seemed to have his head screwed on properly, and Thraz was starting to like this guard. Maybe the guard would even buy him a mug of dwarven ale in a local tavern, to celebrate their new friendship.

"This should be sufficient. To start from the beginning, there is a rebellion. It started many years ago when a man by the name of Lord Voltigar. He believes he has a right to the throne and is the rightful heir and our King is an imposter. Over the years, he has been able to gather a bit of a following for him and they tend to lie low in the city. At one point, Voltigar almost had the throne yet his plot was uncovered and he was removed from the city. But, he seems to be back now. Not with as much force as before but we cannot tie him to the strange happenings in the city. People have been disappearing, things have been disappearing. These things are important government items which belong to the King. Yet, everything which is done has been done so well we cannot pinpoint who is doing this or where they get their orders from or anything. It is as if there are ghosts in the city. We need your help in retrieving information on these people and what their plans are and if they are associated with Lord Voltigar."

The speech that flowed off the man's tongue was quite a bit for Thraz to take in at one time. The guard seemed to believe that he was some kind of spy. Thraz spit onto the floor, for even the thought of someone as deceitful as a spy disgusted the dwarf. He faced his foes from the front, his honor would not allow anything else.

"Maybe you have me confused with someone else. It seems like you need a spy, and Thraz the Mighty is a warrior! Anyway, I don't exactly blend in with the local population."

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 12:44:22 AM »

"Maybe you have me confused with someone else. It seems like you need a spy, and Thraz the Mighty is a warrior! Anyway, I don't exactly blend in with the local population."

A broad grin spread across the guards face, the clear hint of amusement danced over his features.

"My good dwarf, you will blend perfectly well in the place where we wish to do a bit of work for us. We have noticed a few of our suspects like to gather about the tavern. Though perhaps not in the tavern, but about it. Also, if it suits you better to bring a suspect to us instead of just their words, we would be equally as grateful. Do not worry, we have ways to accomodate such great warriors as yourself."

The guard passed a wink the dwarf's way, almost as if in a mock respect, yet his eyes nor his facial features gave away such an idea. He was truly sincere in his words. He rose to his feet turned to face the door. Just as he was reaching fo  the handle, he swung back around to face the dwarf.

"I almost forgot. The King is having a ball of sorts this evening. If you would like to join. It is then I can introduce you to the man whom I serve and you will be doing a great duty to. Should you choose not to go, well, I can make no promises of getting you to see him in the immediate future."

Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Thraz the Mighty
New Santharian

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 05:09:22 AM »

"My good dwarf, you will blend perfectly well in the place where we wish to do a bit of work for us. We have noticed a few of our suspects like to gather about the tavern. Though perhaps not in the tavern, but about it. Also, if it suits you better to bring a suspect to us instead of just their words, we would be equally as grateful. Do not worry, we have ways to accomodate such great warriors as yourself."

Thraz listened to the human as he spoke of getting information from suspects. The dwarf smiled as he realized that this might actually be a challenge, and that was something he could never resist. A mug of good dwarven ale would also be appreciated by the former smith.

"Yes, I can get the information you seek, but I warn you that my methods may be brutal. There may be a time when I bring you a corpse instead of a suspect."

The man rose and appeared as though he were about to leave the room, but he turned around once he reached the door and spoke once more.

"I almost forgot. The King is having a ball of sorts this evening. If you would like to join. It is then I can introduce you to the man whom I serve and you will be doing a great duty to. Should you choose not to go, well, I can make no promises of getting you to see him in the immediate future."

The idea of a ball horrified the dwarf. His kind had never been known to be graceful, and he doubted that he could dance with any amount of skill. There was also the matter of attire, Thraz absolutely refused to remove his armor. He would sleep in it if he could ever figure out a way to make it comfortable.

"If I go to this ball, then I will go as I am dressed now, in full armor. Whether or not I go will depend upon your answer to my question. Well...two questions really. Will there be any ale? And will there be enough ale?"

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2005, 01:49:22 AM »

"Yes, I can get the information you seek, but I warn you that my methods may be brutal. There may be a time when I bring you a corpse instead of a suspect."

The guard nodded thoughtfully but made no attempt to correct him in method. As long as they could identify the body...eventually and somehow get the information they required, it didn't really matter in what state they arrived.

"What ever works best for you Sir Dwarf. As long as we can get the information we require from the corpse, all should be well."

"Suit yourself with your attire, and yes there will be plenty of drink. Not sure of the variety, but do not fear, I am sure they will find away to make you drunk or something of the like. I am not to be watching you out of the corner of my eye. You are free to do as you please within the law. Just report what you find and you shall be paid."

With that said, he finally turned on his heel and left the room, leaving the dwarf inside alone, at least for a moment. Another young guard stepped in and motioned for the dwarf to remove himself from the room and be on his way.

Go ahead and post in Alleyways and Backstreets.

Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]