Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Map  (Read 3699 times)
Bahran the big
Mercenary
Approved Character

Map
« on: October 08, 2003, 06:00:22 AM »

Here is a general map for the city of Voldar (click on map to enlarge):

Map Key:

- Major streets in pale green.

- “Bay” unloading area in the docks district is pale blue.

-  All grey circles (large and small) are towers and they are  all manned.

- All the walls are double thick (two layers).

A: Main Gates

B: South Gates

C: North Gates

D: River Gates

E: Palace

F: Central Market Area of Voldar/ Merchant Quarters

G: Inner City

H: Main Barracks

I. Military Housing

J. Military Headquarters (including barracks, military stables, training yards, etc)

K. Evorg's Mansion

L. Crime District/Black Market

M. Docks District

N. Prision Area

O. Southern Voldar

P. Old Town

Q. Main Gatehouse  

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

Edited by: Kalina Merenwen at: 6/19/05 1:38

"Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; The best of life is but intoxication."
- Lord Byron
Bahran the big
Mercenary
Approved Character

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 07:11:22 AM »

More in-depth explanation :

Don’t let the diagram fool you; Voldar is a very large city. The walls are high and very thick, and the gates are triple guarded. Notice there are four areas in the outside wall that are open. These are the four gates, though the eastern gate could be called the main gate, as it is nearby the main gatehouse and army barracks.

Its counter-part, the western gate, is river side and generally used for trading purposes only. The only way of entering this portion of the city is to enter via water (ie; boat or swimming). The area surrounding the docks is known as the Dock’s district, and it houses trade houses, warehouses and storage areas. Since the lords in Voldar’s past were not fools, the entire docks area is walled off and gated from the rest of the city. They recognized that perhaps the river entrance could be taken by attackers and made the proper security measures. Also, please make a note that while this gate does not have the triple protection like its brethren, it does have a double layer of iron grating that can be raised or lowered from its gatehouse.

The inner city of Voldar is protected by yet another layer of walls and towers. Within those walls are the major market places, city palace, city housing for the nobles and the open forum where the council of Voldar, consisting of the famous ten houses of Voldar, met in the days of Katya the Just.

Outside the walls of the inner city, is where the rest of Voldar lives, ranging from well-to-do merchants to low peasantry. Generally speaking, the farther one moves from the outer-city walls, the better the neighborhoods become.

Granaries, well stocked, line the inside of the out walls, often clinging to the walls themselves.

Any secret tunnels are located underground. Tunneling through the walls would create a collapse of an entire section of the walls. These walls are modeled after medieval technique of building walls -- outer layers made of stone or brick with the insides being broken pieces of pottery, dirt and gravel – very sturdy.

Outside the walls of Voldar, is a large expanse of plains land. Farms are scattered abundantly in this area -- also note that shanties cling to the city walls, creating a strange ‘outer’ city surrounding the entire city.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

"Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; The best of life is but intoxication."
- Lord Byron
Anaea the Marked
New Santharian

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 07:28:22 AM »

Not to nitpick darlings, but H is a bit misleading (and since I made the map, I feel as though I'm allowed to correct it ;)  ). The large green globs (currently labled H) are the main barracks- conveniently located on the main thoroughfare between Voldor's Palace and the Main Gates- not the Inn district. The Inn district is the white area outside the barracks in the same cell.

"If you gave me a choice between a Northern man, a Northern woman, or a Northern rat - I'd have to pick the rat..."
Anaea- on the north in general

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 10:39:22 AM »

Thanks for that...even though Bah gave up his position from Moderator over a year ago.

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Cherri Rowandyn
Elemental Mage
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim / Ylfferhim / Sanhorrhim

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 06:36:23 AM »

Okay just a question, but where is Voldar in reference to everything else?  Continent and other info like that might help players right a better entrance into the cities.  Instead of saying that we have been wandering around the open plains for a while or something like that.  If I have overlook such information, please let me know.

Personal Page
Cherri Rowandyn

Cherri Rowandyn
Keep your friends close; keep your enemies closer.
Grunok the Exile
Seeker
Approved Character

Male Losh-Oc Orc

Homepage
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 07:08:23 AM »

Cherri:  All (well, more or less all) RPs take place in the world of Caelereth, the continent of Sarvonia, the Kingdom of Santharia.  All of Southern Sarvonia is part of the Kingdom of Santharia, so if you see "southern Sarvonia" it means Santharia, and vice versa.

Look  here for a map of Caelereth, here for a map of the provinces (Voldar is the capital of the province of Vardynn; the red one near the top) and here for the place entry (description) of Voldar.

Hope this helps you, and anyone else who has the same wonderings.  :)  

Cherri Rowandyn
Elemental Mage
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim / Ylfferhim / Sanhorrhim

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 09:02:23 AM »

Thanks, kinda figured it was around here somewhere.  My Cd is from Southern Sarvonia and I didn't recall seeing anything close by where my character is from, should also check north.  Everything is north, :broadgrin  

Personal Page
Cherri Rowandyn

Cherri Rowandyn
Keep your friends close; keep your enemies closer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]