Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Seagorn Garrison(Nyermersis)  (Read 35887 times)
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2006, 01:57:23 AM »

Sgt. Lynch

Sgt. Lynch walked around the barracks.  Manik, who had the graveyard shift had finished eating and was in his bunk, as well as the rest of the guards who had the same shift.  The sun was just a sliver of light as he began to light the lamps.  Though this job was usually delegated to the new recruits, he did it as a way of solace; the fire relaxed him.

The cold north east wind had changed into a more southernly breeze and Lynch could feel it.  The clouds were almost gone and in the night sky, away from the lamps and torches, he could see the faint outlines of the stars.  The moon had already given its ghostly shape in the twilight sky.

The Sgt. was greeted here and there by those who also were lighting the lamps he had yet gotten to.  He nodded in return. He thought of the rumors floating around the barracks, but gave them no thought, however he did wonder why the General had been summoned to the Earl and why he had not yet returned.  But, again, officers and their problems were not his, until they made them his.  That is when and where they become his, until then he would not concern himself with rumors.  When he was finished with his nightly routine, he headed off to his own quarters, as he too had the graveyard shift that night.

Capher.

Edited by: Capher at: 2/27/06 18:02
Machrebs Ork
New Santharian

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2006, 08:29:23 AM »

In between the clanging of the swords the dry sound of a bone snapping in two could be heard. Now that he had cleaned of the meat, Ork had broken the bone that was left in two and he was hungrily slurping out the yummy marrow.

Once he was finished, he just threw the broken bones aside. It’s not that he was being inconsiderate towards those that needed to keep the place clean, but it’s what he was used to do. Mercenary encampments rarely stayed long at the same place and leaving litter where ever they found convenient was normally of little concern.

After licking up as much grease as he could from around lips he cleaned what was left with his upper arm. So much for the appetizer they had given him to keep him busy. Picking up his axe and swinging it over his shoulder he started walking towards the mess. Time for the main course. He was getting hungry.

Ork
Orcs is made for fightin'

Manik Targin
Guard of Nyermersys
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2006, 08:57:23 AM »

Manik laid on his back examining the wooden figurine his father had widdled for him, lost in random daydream thoughts. The wooden piece was a soldier with a longsword held blade down in front of him. The soldier seemed to portray determination and focus along with a sense of pride. His pa had told him that if he worked hard and stayed true to himself greatness would find him. He hoped his father would be proud of him so far.

Manik occupied the lower bunk under Dean in their squad's quarter's. Dean along with all the others who had the graveyard shift were also in their bunks resting. There had been rumours flying around about the general being called to see the Earl. There were so many different versions of what was happening being voiced, it was ridiculous, they would find out soon enough. Some men were excited. Personally Manik was anxious, it was only his first day. Manik hadnt bothered getting undressed, but laying on top of his blankets with a full stomach, he could feel his eyelids slipping.

Manik Targin

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2006, 01:25:23 AM »

Sgt. Lynch

Sgt. Lynch rose, got dressed and then walked to the squads bay, where he entered and made his way to Manik's and Dean's bunks.  He found Dean fast asleep, but Manik was already rising.

"Manik, wake Dean up, get dressed and meet me out by the front gate of the barracks." He whispered, not wanting to wake the other men up.

Capher.

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2006, 03:48:23 AM »

Sgt Lynch

Sgt Lynch in the middle with Manik on his right and Dean on his left walked out of the barracks.  "It is always policy for the city watch to walk in pairs." Lynch explained.

OOC next post will be in the dock area.

Capher.

Manik Targin
Guard of Nyermersys
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2006, 03:44:23 PM »

Manik woke up to the rustle of the rest of the squad rising and heading out for their own shifts. Planting his feet on the floor, Manik sat there for a few minutes trying to ward of the remnants of sleep. That was when Sgt. Lynch walked in.

"Manik, wake Dean up, get dressed and meet me out by the front gate of the barracks," whispered the big man. Some of the squad was still resting. He nodded in answer and as the sergeant left Manik gave out a grunt and rose to his feet. He gave Dean a shove, but received only a murmur and a roll to face the other way. So he shoved him again to make sure he was awake and walked over to the wash basin to give his face a rinse to wake himself up. Feeling a little more refreshed Manik went back to his bunk and strapped on his armour and long sword.

On their way down to the front of the garrison, Dean and Manik chatted about what they were doing tonight. They had duty with Sergeant Lynch. According to Dean, for the first while new recruits were always paired with sergeants for the night shifts. Manik asked Dean what he knew about the burly weapons instructor. Apparently Lynch had been a skilled weapons master, expert with all melee weapons but a true blade master with the sword. He had grown some reknown in the ranks until the unfortunate accident when he lost his eye. Now missing that eye, he still had all the knowledge he had before, but lost a great deal of his former skill. Dean said that he had heard that without both eyes you couldn’t see quite right or tell as well how far away things were. Manik didn’t see how that was, but Dean seemed pretty sure of it. Manik had no problem believing Dean about Lynch’s past though; the taskmaster’s advice today for instruction had already improved Manik’s skill with a sword considerably.

When they met Sgt. Lynch out front of the gatehouse they nodded in acknowledgement and gave a quick “Sarge.”
"It is always policy for the city watch to walk in pairs."
“Makes sense to me,” Manik replied.

Manik Targin

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2006, 02:12:23 AM »

Sgt. Lynch

When the bells rang three, Lynch got up, and woke Manik up.
"Manik, until I see the Captain, I have a chore for you to do. Get dressed and follow me."

Manik quickly got dressed and silently followed the Sarge, wondering what was going to happen now. The sun's rim was barely above the horizon and most of the grounds was still in shadow.

Lynch led Manik to the maintenance shed, opened the door and ordered, "Manik, grab a scrub brush, and a pail, fill it with water and then go to the outhouses and make sure they are scrubbed and clean.  And i want it done before morning chow, which gives you two hours. Now move!" Lynch barked.

Capher.

Manik Targin
Guard of Nyermersys
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2006, 03:39:23 PM »

And there he found himself. Surrounded by the invading stench of human waste with his hands covered in soap suds Manik sat scrubbing away at the disgusting result of the outhouse’s frequent use. So much for the glory of joining the army. The morning was cool with spring and it was still dark outside, but the weather was sure to be nicer than yesterday.

When Sgt. Lynch had woken him up it felt like he hadn’t been asleep for more than an instant. It couldn’t be more than an hour or two since he had lain down. He had gotten out of bed startled and followed mechanically out to the maintenance shed. Walking home at the end of his night shift, Manik had known he would get some penance for disobeying Lynch’s order, but he hadn’t known it would be so soon.

After just over an hour of scrubbing Manik had cleaned half of the outhouses. If he didn’t hurry up he would be late for breakfast before he finished. Every once in a while someone would come and use the facilities then asking why he was cleaning and chatting for a time before going on with their morning. His stomach gave out a grumble. ~swish, swish, swish~

Manik Targin

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2006, 02:20:23 AM »

At five bells, Lynch walked up to the outhouses and looked in, Manik was just finishing up.  "Manik, nice job. Now go wash out the pail and brush, making sure you put it back exactly where you took it from. Then take a bath, grab some chow and then get your butt out on the practice field.  I talked to the Captain, and he told me no permanant reprimand, but I am to do what I think is appropriate for you to remember never, that is never disobey the orders of your superiors. There are exceptions, there always are."

Capher.

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2006, 01:31:23 AM »

Sgt Lynch

Lynch, along with the other guards not on duty was preparing the training ground. "Sarge, do you want me to take out the dummies?" Dean asked.

"Nope, we already have one, a live one, as soon as he shows up." Lynch replied.

The other guards looked at each other curiously and then smiles crept across their faces. They had all heard about Manik and what he had done last night during his watch, some even had spoken to him as he cleaned out their outhouses.  Dean just grimmaced and slowly shook his head, wondering what the Sarge had in mind for his friend, now.

Capher.

Manik Targin
Guard of Nyermersys
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2006, 03:50:23 PM »

After putting the brush and pail back in the maintenance shed, Manik went off to do just what Lynch said. He felt tired and dirty, but the bath did wonders for both. Feeling refreshed he made his way over to the mess hall.

Spotting Dean eating his meal with some of the others from their squad, Manik grabbed some food and sat down with them. “Ow was it?” asked Dean as he scooped up some porridge. With a groan, “Don’t ask,” replied Manik. Most of the squad put in their comments about Manik’s punishment. It appeared word spread fast. As they ate some left and others joined, most seeming to have something to say about outhouses. Halfway through the bowl of porridge, Sgt. Thom Henderson sat down across from Manik. Manik’s sergeant didn’t look happy either and it was obvious during the first few silent moments that he was going to say something. With a long breath Thom leaned forward and finally spoke, “I talked to Lynch about what happened and about your punishment. You did a brave thing, but you disobeyed an order. Whether or not you believe it, that order was for your benefit. So I want to hear that you did everything that Lynch has planned.” Henderson made to get up but then turned back. “And…. Just so you know. If you ever disobey an order I give you, I will make what Lynch has planned for you feel like a holiday.”

Manik jogged the short distance to the practice yard. After breakfast, Manik had gone back to put on his armour. Manik strode up to Sgt. Lynch. “Sarge, reporting for duty.”

(OOC: Post could have been better, but I’m tired and not in a great mood for writing.))

Manik Targin

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2006, 03:45:23 AM »

Lynch stood silent as he watched Manik approach.  "I am reporting for duty", he said.  A small smile crept across the Sarge's face then he turned to the other men. "It seems our live dummy has arrived."

Some laughter broke out until Lynch stared at them and it suddenly stopped, he turned back to Manik. "Alright dummy, I am glad to see that you are wearing your armour, for you are going to need it as well as all of the skills you have learned so far." He then addressed the other men.

"Last night, our dummy tried to stop a fight between two drunken sailors even after I told him not to interfere. Which was a direct order. Now troops who can tell me what happens to a person when a direct order is not obeyed."

"They are punished, Sarge!" They all shouted.

"Correct! The person is punished accordingly.  I already had our dummy clean the outhouses, maybe some of you had seen him.  That was his punishment for disobeying me. but," and another wider smile crept across his face, then frowned, "He will now be taught why he should not have disobeyed my order.  He was not aware of his surroundings.  This lesson boys, and you too dummy, may one day save your lives and your units.  Always, I repeat, always be aware of your surroundings.  Do not be completely focused on what is in front of you."

"Dummy here was focused on the two drunken sailors and did not see the many eyes attached to the many other sailors and cutthroats that were watching.  So I want to teach him and you what it would feel like if you were attacked by a mob."

"Go and stand in the middle of the circle, dummy, and take a wooden sword with you." Lynch ordered.  "Once our dummy is in the middle I want at least two, maybe three attack him, using wooden swords of course, we would not want our dummy killed."

Lynch looked over at Manik, who had made his way to the center of the ring. "Are you ready, dummy?" He asked.

Capher.

Manik Targin
Guard of Nyermersys
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2006, 03:36:23 PM »

"It seems our live dummy has arrived."

Manik’s brow drew up at that one. Suddenly he had a heavy feeling that this training session wouldn’t be what he had thought it would be. Being honest he had pretty much been looking forward to it. He knew Lynch would work him hard to make it a punishment but it would be better than scrubbing outhouses and would make him a better guard to boot. It’s funny how when your superior refers to you with the words “live dummy” that outhouses seem to smell all that much sweeter.

The other guards seemed to enjoy Lynch’s speech, yelling in agreement and laughing. Manik didn’t blame them for getting excited. If he wasn’t the one about to be beat on, he would probably do the same. Watching a spar was good sport. At least Dean didn’t look too impressed. Taking a deep breath, Manik retrieved a wooden sword, put on his helmet and walked out into the practice ring. It was a going to be a gorgeous day outside today.

"Once our dummy is in the middle I want at least two, maybe three attack him, using wooden swords of course, we would not want our dummy killed. Are you ready, dummy?"

Manik was the newest guard. Every other man here was more skilled with a sword than he was. I am definitely going to hurt tomorrow. No, embrace it. If he had to get beaten he might as well give his attackers something to groan about tomorrow as well. Taking the stance Lynch had taught him yesterday, Manik nodded he was ready. Pain heals, chicks dig scars, and glory lasts forever. Maybe women like big ugly black bruises as well.

Lynch gave the go ahead, and a couple men stepped out from the circle surrounding the ring. There were more than two or three but after a few glances, a few stepped back. Three men now, one in front one to the right and one behind. He remembered seeing two of them this morning. They came slowly raising their swords. The one in front had a wicked smile on his face, obviously sure of his victory. Manik knew he was going to lose, it was what he chose to do before that happened that mattered. The one with the smile definitely had to lose it. Manik turned to the man behind him, putting smiley at his back. As soon as he did so he heard the man grunt and rush his back. Instantly Manik spun back around and made a simple block. The man’s momentum put him off balance, and Manik manoeuvred himself around smiles away from his other two attackers. Smiles turned to make a low attack but Manik parried and made a quick slash across the man’s side. Smiles was out, and didn’t appear to be so smiley anymore. A small victory won, but not the war. He had caught them off guard, but he wouldn’t be able to again. The other two combatants started closing in.  

Manik Targin

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2006, 02:10:23 AM »

Lynch watched and a small smile crept across his face for a blink, then it disappeared as he watched Manik disperse one of his attackers and the man left the fighting arena.  Lynch gave the man a disapproving look.  He nodded for another man to enter the ring in his place, and then continued to watch. "Act like a mob, instead of soldiers," was all he said as he nodded for Dean to join in the fray.

Capher.

Manik Targin
Guard of Nyermersys
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2006, 03:28:23 PM »

"Act like a mob, instead of soldiers,"

Manik noticed Dean enter the ring to his right. Manik kept moving, trying to lure his attackers into a bad move. Didn’t work, they weren't going to be caught off guard. Dean didn’t press in on Manik’s side as hard as he should, showing he was hesitant. The other two were doing a fine enough job by themselves, however, and Manik had only moments to do something. The others were motioning for Dean to make a move, and after a second he did so, but not with enough enthusiasm and Manik made a block. Unfortunately, in that moment the others closed in. Manik tried to maneuver the sword and dance away, but the closer one made two quick attacks, and landed a blow to Manik’s side, what would be a killing blow.

Everyone in the ring paused for half a second and looked to Lynch for instruction on what to do. Shouts from the other guards lining the ring invaded Manik’s thoughts.

((OOC: Keep it going please, I have something in mind. It will become much more mob like. :thumbup ))

Manik Targin

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]