Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Zocharras' Gate(Nyermersis)  (Read 26234 times)
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2006, 02:18:23 AM »

Christian slowly advanced upon the woods.  His men also alerted began a slow advance, several of them running toward him and Lycheus to protect them.  They neared the woods and Christian could hear Sammy's howl and even heard her growl which made him even more wary.

Suddenly the skies were filled with flights of arrows.  Christian pushed Lycheus from his saddle just in time as two arrows sunk deep into the leather just moments from where he had been sitting.  Lycheus was sputtering, when he heard Christian yell out an oath and when Lycheus looked saw an arrow protruding from Christian's left shoulder.

Lycheus looked for a place to run as another flight of arrows came down from the sky.  One of the guards ran, jumped on Lycheus with his shield raised.  Lycheus heard the arrowheads bounce off the guards shield, then it stopped.  He turned to thank the young man, but blanched and almost fainted when he saw several arrows protruding from the young boy's chest, his dead eyes staring at Lycheus.  Lycheus yelped, and pushed the dead man away from him, whimpering...cowering in the tall grass.

Christian, though wounded spurred his horse forward, brandishing his sword and yelling out an oath.  His men ran also, while some of them answered back with arrows of their own.  Christian could see that Sammy had begun to attack their attackers, and he heard a several grunts and then several men fell from their tree top perches.  As his own archers found their marks.

Then from what Christian could see about twenty or so men came running out of the woods, brandishing swords and small axes and rushed him and his men.  Two went down quickly as Christian severed the head off of both of them with one wide sweep of his giant sword.  He could hear his men join the battle and even in the distance could hear Sammy snarling and fighting.

He turned his horse around for another attack when he was knocked off his saddle, landing on his wounded arm. He yelled out another oath, as he tried to quickly get back upon his feet.  But several men with swords drawn advanced upon him.  He kept them at bay with long sweeping arcs of his blade, but they kept on coming, his blade was faltering as his strength was sapped. Then he saw one of the men, who was a bit farther back then then rest turn suddenly and a blur of fur was upon him.

OOC, Sammy you and I will take care of the rest of these men before I faint from lack of blood.  I want you injured though by one of them by the time the fight is done.  How it is done and what injury and how severe is up to you.  My men will find us and bring us back to the "Castle"

Capher.

Sammykins
Ilaróls, Nyerismysy's Pet
Approved Character

Wolf, Mithral (Ilaróls)

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2006, 10:34:23 PM »

**OOC- This may be a bit graphic for some people**

Sammy caught wind of a group of men as she ran and within moments she was upon them. Her strong legs propelling her forward rapidly. By the time she was close enough she heard the whistle release of arrows in her master's direction. She slammed her full weight into one of the men upon the ground, sinking her sharp ebony claws into his chest as she brought her maw down over his face. It took only a second for her strong jaws to embrace his face, clenching down and shattering bone beneath its strength.

She turned and bolted after the next closest man. Attacking much in the same way, jumping up and shoving him down to the ground with her weight. This man attempted to turn to run but she quickly caught him and closed her maw around the back of his neck. Sharp ivory fangs sunk into flesh again, blood welling up around her teeth as the sharp tips severed his spine and spinal cord without a second thought.

Again the twang of arrows being released caught her senses for one second, then pain hit her. She turned her head, looking to a man on the ground with his bow pointed at her. Her amber eye glared at him dangerously, the milky blue eye seeming to look right through him. He attempted to knock another arrow but she was upon him within a moment and he tumbled to the ground. She closed her maw around his throat, tearing back suddenly and ripping his throat from his possession.

She moved away, a limp now masked in her steps. An arrow shaft embedded in her hip. She turned her eyes towards Christian and saw men upon him. The pain slipped her mind and in a second she was upon the men. She slammed her head into the closest man much like a bull would do... slamming her thick skull into his lower back as she ran head down towards him. She heard his lower back and tailbone snap loudly, like a tree branch giving way to the snow in the winter, as her strong skull made contact with his body. He fell backwards, landing on his flank and wailing in pain as further damage was done to his spine.

She spun in place and finished the man off with another quick bite to the face. She spun back towards Christian and could see his exhaust... she too felt it, a frothy saliva and blood foam dripping from her mouth.

She bolted towards Christian quick as she could, keeping her hind leg off the ground slightly as she ran but not letting the pain slow her down. She slammed into another man, who was right behind another, sending both men stumbling forward into Christian's sword. The sword sunk into the sides of both men, sending them toppling to the side, missing Sammy by mere hairs.

Her legs trembled as she stood, taking deep panting breaths as she snarled to the remaining 4 guards. Her sides heaved with each breath, the ebony hair on her back on end standing in end as she snarled at them, daring them to come closer to Christian.

They were at a standstill for a moment... the eerie silence broken by an rough bark from Sammy as she propelled herself forward at one of the men. The man swung his sword at her, however he swung to high and she was able to duck beneath his sword. Her teeth sunk into the soft flesh of his thigh, her forepaws digging into the earth as her strong neck and shoulders yanked backwards, tearing a deep chunk from his thigh and making him fall backwards. She propelled herself forward towards his face, snapping her jaws closed around his shoulder and shaking him to dislocate it. At this close he could not use his sword to stab her and instead used both hands the slam the hilt down on her ribs. She felt the air knocked out of her as a few ribs shattered beneath the hard metal. She twisted her head and tore the mans face apart quickly... his movements ceased instantly.

Christian had taken care of 2 more of the guards and the last had turned and ran in fear. Sammy snarled and bolted after him but only made it a few steps before the pain was too great. She dropped to her haunches, her hind leg soaked in blood. She panted heavily, turning to look to Christian who seemed wobbly. She whined and forced herself to stand, moving towards him. Her sides rose and fell with her rapid panting, the panting itself causing pain to tear through her body.

Christian sunk to the ground, Sammy moved as quickly as she could to him. Her ears twisted this way and that, listening for the others to come help him. She barked loudly, pain tearing through her ribs with each heave of her body but she did not stop. She licked Christian's face, trying to keep him awake while still barking to get people to come help him.

Little flecks of light were beginning to enter her vision as she panted and struggled to get enough air into her lungs. Her hind quarters sunk to the ground, the pain and blood loss slowly creeping into her consciousness, while all the while she struggled to get Christian up again.

It was a matter of minutes before darkness embraced her vision and she sunk fully to the ground besides Christian.

Edited by: Sammykins at: 8/8/06 14:39

"I am Wolf.
It is my cry you hear in the night,
My eyes that gaze at you from the shadows.
It is my heart that beats in your Soul,
My strength that makes you whole.
I am Wolf. I am in you.
You are in Me. We Are Wolf."
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2006, 11:52:23 PM »

Christian slowly, painfully put his hand upon Sammy and stroked her, trying to comfort her, but he too succombed to the loss of blood and fell into the blackness of unconciousness.

The guards quickly took care of the rest of the men, saving one who they knew their Earl would want to question.  Then they heard the Earl's wolf bark, again and again.  They followed the barking and saw the carnage of men, with ripped out throats and necks broken and much blood.  Then they came upon their Earl and his wolf who were laying side by side.

A senior guard knew immediately that both of them were seriously injured, but some of the guards were afraid to come near them, because they knew how an injured animal was, and they just saw what Sammy had done to some of the men who attacked them and they were afraid.  The senior guard, ascertained that both their Earl and his wolf were unconcious.  He ordered a litter made and then as fast as possible they took them back into the city, along they way they found Lycheus and took the all to the castle and got the Earl's private healers to look after them.

Beltina, the Earl's private healer worked quickly; she removed the arrow, and patched him up with a bandage soaked in Eascathe.  In the meantime she had her other healers, work upon Sammy. They had to cut and shave around the area where the arrow had sunk in. Then they repaired the muscle tissue as best as they could, not knowing if Sammy would walk with a limp or not, as they never healed an animal before and was not familiar with the anatomy.  Then they bandaged it, also soaked in Eascathe and let them sleep and rest.

Capher.

Sammykins
Ilaróls, Nyerismysy's Pet
Approved Character

Wolf, Mithral (Ilaróls)

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2006, 10:43:23 PM »

Pain...

A tingle of pain brought Sammy to awareness. Her eyes parted slowly, her amber eye focusing slowly... the room becoming clear very slowly. She was on the floor before the fire in Christian's room and could not remember going there. Realization of what had been happening hit her and she twisted quickly, getting to her feet.

Her hind leg sunk beneath her weight as pain tore through her mind again. She growled slightly and turned to look to the wound. She was bandaged and could feel skin against the bandage and as she moved she could feel some sort of liquid mixed with blood tear from the bandage. She growled slightly and looked to Christian's bed. He was there, but she could not tell if he was alright.

She took a deep breath and her broken ribs sent another shrill pain through her body. She whined faintly, but forced herself to stand. She kept most of her weight off her wounded leg as she moved to Christian's bed.

She lifted her head, resting her chin on the mattress in silence a moment before raising a forepaw onto it, then the other. She kicked with her uninjured leg, nearly falling, but was able to pull herself into his bed. She knew she wasn't allowed, but that didn't stop her, not this time. She moved to his side and laid her head on his chest quietly as she folded her legs beneath her.

She shivered slightly, pain rippling through her with each breath. Laying curled up hurt the worse and to ease the pain a little she moved to stretch out on her side, resting her paw on Christian's arm. She closed her eyes slowly, succumbing to sleep again. If she got in trouble for getting on Christian's bed, she wouldn't be suprised, but she didn't care.

"I am Wolf.
It is my cry you hear in the night,
My eyes that gaze at you from the shadows.
It is my heart that beats in your Soul,
My strength that makes you whole.
I am Wolf. I am in you.
You are in Me. We Are Wolf."
Simonne Miller
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2006, 03:50:23 AM »

With a slow but deliberate step, the old woman advanced through the wood. Anyone watching could see that she was a seasoned traveller. Her backpack was nicely filled, but also in balance. Her walking-cane lay in her hand, but she wasn't leaning on it. Her back was straight, her walking steady. She didn't need it, but she liked the feel of it in her hands.

Yes, the road would be easier for her tired feet. But she always enjoyed going through the woods, it gave her some peace. A nice advantage was that every now and then she happened upon a plant that she knew the properties of, and that she could use in one of her many potions and salves. She had a whole backpack full of those, and many pouches on her belt to contain leaves or roots of plants that could be used on their own, or that had to be dried still.

As she reached a glade, she stopped mid-stride. In front of her were a whole lot of corpses, some run through with what could only have been a sword. A big sword, but a sword nonetheless. Her healer's instinct taking the upper hand, she examined each body in turn, but none could be saved. It seemed that whoever had killed these men had been quite thorough. One even had his whole face ripped away. On closer inspection, those looked like animal teeth. That had to be one big animal that had done this. The animal and the swordsman (or was it the animals and the swordsmen? She couldn't determine) must have worked together. Unless the swordsman/men had killed them all and the animal had come later. But in that case, they'd all have swordwounds, and it was quite clear that those with bitemarks on them had died because of that animal. Oh, they could at least have buried the poor sods, she thought. This place is going to stink tomorrow! Or even tonight. I'll just have to make sure not to be around here by that time.

With that thought, she turned her back on the poor devils who had found such a horrible fate. As she wanted to continue on her way, she noticed something strange. There were some arrows lying around. Normally, this wouldn't have attracted her attention, but there was something strange in the way they reflected the light. Or didn't reflect the light, to be more precise. She picked one up and smelled the tip. "Poison..." Right now, she didn't have time to examine it further, but she took a small piece of cloth out of her backpack, carefully wrapped the arrow in it, and put it back. She'd have a close look at it when she had a room in Brok's rest, where she had stayed before on visits to Nyer. Maybe she could determine the ingredients of this poison, maybe even determine which poison it was. A healer knows more than just healing potions.

She was not in the least taken aback by the sight of death. As a healer, she had seen many a human die. She felt guilty for those that she couldn't save, despite her best efforts. But she felt nothing at all only at the sight of death. She hadn't had to watch helplessly how they died, so she didn't really give them a second thought once they were out of her sight.

Soon enough, she reached the road again and found herself quite close to the city she had seen earlier. Undoubtedly, there would be some guards near the gates. She hadn't seen them yet, so they couldn't have seen her. With that thought in mind, she started leaning heavily on her cane. Bent down over it, she looked much older than when she was travelling straight-backed. As she approached the gates, she saw that her hunch had been right: guards enough to fill a bar to the nook. Most of them were up on the ramparts, but some were watching the road, and by this time they had spotted her. Shuffling, she came closer.

"Hello, my good lads." she said to them, but not really looking at one of them. "May I please enter this city?"

Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art...
Simonne Miller

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2006, 01:13:23 AM »

Sgt. Thom Henderson was watching the road leading to the gate when he noticed an old woman slowly make her way up to the gate.  He smiled graciously when she asked for admittance. "For certain Ma'am. I just need your name...for the books and the record...you understand. If you would please just follow me." Thom said.

Capher.

Simonne Miller
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2006, 04:38:23 AM »

Simonne chuckled a little. "Oh, I don't make a secret out of my name." She followed the man to a room, where he took out a quill. "Fancy that, my lad, you can write! I wouldn't even know how to read..." Again, she chuckled.

"I'm hardly a 'lad' anymore, m'lady. I've had my years of experience already. But can I know your name and the reason you wish to enter Nyermersys?" Simonne answered his friendly smile with a broad grin of her own. She leaned a little closer to him with her hand on her cane and said: "My lad, everyone younger than me is a lad. Or a lass in some cases, obviously. Compared to me, you've hardly left your childhood years behind."

The wink that accompanied this statement showed that she was just having her little joke. The guard decided to let it pass, older people were allowed their fun. "My name is Simonne Miller. As for my business, I'm weary of my travels and looking for a place to rest a little. When I'm done resting, I'll ask around if there are sick people that need tending, as I happen to be a healer for my profession. Oh yes, and if I have time, I'm going to check up on some people that I healed last time I was here. I think that's all the business that I have in this city, my lad. Do you need any more details?"

Simonne Miller

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2006, 01:39:23 AM »

He quickly wrote down her name and put in the place of occupation Healer  He then put Nyermersys's wax seal upon it, rolled it up and handed it to Simonne. "There you are Simonne and welcome back.  I am not sure how long it has been since you have been back, but I recommend Brok's Rest as an inn for you to stay in and I would also recommend that you do not go into the Harbour district at night, even during the day, it could be dangerous for a lady such as yourself.  Oh, do not be so quick to think you are that old.  I see a spry step, a twinkle in your eyes, and a sense of humor that most men would welcome.  I would venture a guess that when you were younger, you must have turned a head or two; even now you turned mine."  He said as he smiled with a twinkle in his eye. "Take care M'lady and if you need anything just come and find me."

Capher.

Simonne Miller
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2006, 07:04:23 AM »

Simonne chuckled again. "I see I can't fool you with the old leaning-on-the-cane trick. In that case I can just as well not do it." With that, she stood up straight again, making her a little taller than when she was bent down. "I do remember Brok's, my lad. Had my share of fun there, as I recall. But that's nothing you have to know about."

She turned around to walk to the door, then remembered she was carrying the scroll in her hand. First she took her backpack off her back, and while putting it in, she answered another remark of his. "Oh, I won't go near the Blood Gate, don't you worry. Most of the time, the sickness there is of the people's own doing, and I don't bother with them. Too rowdy for my tastes anyway.

Well, I'm off to Brok's now. If you ever feel the need to talk to someone with more experience than the rookies I saw you surrounded with, you know where to find me." With a twinkle in her eyes, she let herself out and walked into the city, again straightbacked instead of bent down over her cane, as she had come in.

*Continue in Brok's rest*

Simonne Miller

patt0192
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2007, 11:14:46 AM »

Jiro approached the gate, like many before him, from the outside of the city gates. Garbed in the clothing of a traveller whom he had mugged in not far off behind some trees, he moved towards the guards quarters, looking for the man who was in charge of the books.

The name rolled around in his mind. Simonne... It sounded just as foreign as everything else on this land. And old woman named Simonne... One thing was certain... she wasn't a resident of a city such as this... that meant that she had been identified at the gate.

It was then that he spotted one of the guards just outside the corner of the wall. Jiro began a light jog towards him.

"You!" he said, "This city... inside... I need to get inside!"
He imitated the accent of those that lived around the cities here.
"My aunt is not well, and I must see her before she leaves us."
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2007, 05:36:27 AM »

The guard looked at the man, listened to him and waved him through.  He then paid the obviously peasant no mind as he continued his watch.
patt0192
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2007, 07:43:49 AM »

Dumbstruck, Jiro barely had time to gather himself before moving along at a nervouse pace, passing the guard with a confused glance.

Why hadn't he wanted to profile him? Maybe there was a chance that Simonne had not been identified at the gate. He swore to himself. This would be alot harder than he thought.

He skirted around the gate, out of the sight of the guard. He then slipped into a shadowy alleyway. He tossed aside his travellers cloak, unhooked his moonblade and sheath from his waist, and restrapped them to his back. He located his previous stash, containing his nightooth daggers, and his cloak. He stashed his travellers cloak in with his black cloak, and took two of his daggers, strapping them at his hip.

With a quick glance back, he turned and jogged back in the direction opposite of which he entered.
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2007, 01:54:18 AM »

Killing Fields Outside of Nyermersys

The killing field as it was now called was easy to find as all Farrel had to do was go to where he could see carrion birds circling way overhead and as he neared the place could see several of them feasting upon the dead flesh.  The stench was a bit overwhelming and this was one of the times that Farrel was glad it had rained.  The rain kept the dead bloated bodies from stinking and even exploding as they definately would have if they had been subjected to direct sunlight which would have sped up the process of the decay of the bodies.

Farrel wrapped a cloth over his mouth and nose as he began his tedious search of the bodies.  The soldiers of Voldar were easy to recognize, at least the ones not being torn apart by the birds, and even those were distinguished by their clothing even if not by their faces.  It seemed that eyes must be one of the favorite foods of the birds Farrel discovered as he found head after head with their eyes plucked out.  It was a bit disconcerting to search a body with a head staring at you with just blank, dark eyesockets, but Farrel did his best to ignore the grizzly sight and do his job.

He had been a young private in the war with Voldar and had many instances where he was ordered for burial detail.  It was an eye opening experience for him as he and several other privates had to dig holes and then bury the dead, some were even friends, which were the hardest to bury.  Their was not time to dig a grave for each body, nor was their the space, so the privates had to dig large trench like graves and dump ten or more bodies on top of one another and then cover them up.

The war had lasted for over a year and thousands of men died on either side.  It took its toll upon Nyermersys more as they had less men than Voldar to lose; young men from the Nobility down to the least peasant, men who were in their prime of life and who had left a huge whole in Nyermersys's population. 

After the war famine was rampant as their were hardly any men left to work the fields.  Disease from rats and other vermin spread as they invaded homes searching for food.  The healers were overwhelmed and many died from the disease from the patients they were treating, who died as well; almost as many as had died on the battlefield, died after the war was finished.  Farrel was one of the lucky ones, many of his friends and his whole family were not.

As he walked along the carnage he spied many arrows, but none with the poison black heart upon them.  He began to wonder about Simonne's story.  His eyes told him how the hunting party had been walking that day.  The soldiers protecting the King and his party were on the outside, some were even ahead, probably scouting for pheasant instead of looking for ambushers.

Farrel stopped walking and looked at the forest that was in front of him, he turned and scanned the killing field, then turned and looked again back at the forest.  He began pacing and counting how many paces it was from where the begining of the forest was to where the closest soldier killed was found. 

His brow furrowed as his mind worked on something that nagged at him, he eventually continued his investigation and worked his way toward the middle of the killing field and where the King and his party would have been.  It was there that he found several of the bodies of the ambushers with their throats torn asunder.  that must have been Sammy, Farrel thought, as he continued his search.

He finally came across what he was looking for; the black heart tipped arrows.  He searched and discovered the area where the King had mostly had been along with his party.  It seemed curious to Farrel that he only found four arrows tipped with the poison.  He searched very carefully among the grass and those were the only ones he found.  He knelt down, picked up the poisoned arrow, broke the head of it off and carefully wrapped it in oilskin cloth and placed it into a sack he had slung over his shoulder.

His mind kept on nagging at him. He was missing something.  He stood up and looked back at the forest and then back at the field.  He tried to recall everything he had read in the report. He wished he had brought the blasted thing with him.  He recalled that the Earl had decided to go Falconing that morning and he had taken along his guest, Lycheus with him. They had been on the hunt when they were suddenly attacked by arrows coming from the forest and then men attacking them from the forest and those men headed straight for the Earl.  According to the report, the Earl had hurled his way in the path of one of those deadly arrows to protect Lycheus and thas is when he was hit.

Was Lycheus the target, and the Earl had been unfortunate enough because he tried to save Lycheus to be the one hit instead? That was a viable theory, Farrel thought, as he continued his search. He would have to speak with Lycheus. 

He found another of those black heart tipped arrows and carefully removed the head. His mind still nagging at him. The answer was right there in front of him. He was sure of it, but he could see it.  After another tedious search of the whole area once again to make sure he did not miss anything, especially those black heart tipped arrows he headed back to the city, his mind still nagging at him.  Perhaps after he talked with Lycheus and read that report again the answer would come to him.

As he neared the city he saw a man lying behind some brush.  He rushed over to him. The man was only in his underclothes, his other clothes were not to be found and the man had been hit over the head.  Luckily, the blow did not kill him, just knocked him unconcious.  Farrel picked up the man and threw him over his shoulder and carried him to the city.

The guard saw him as he came closer to the city gates and rushed out to help him. "What happend?" He asked, as he looked at the man over his Lt.'s shoulder.

"Not sure," Farrel grunted, "found him among some bushes back there. You had better get a healer.

Several other guards also came out carrying a litter.  Farrel put the man upon the litter and the guards took the man into the city. Farrel followed.

Suddenly Farrel's 

Arcuthra
Chivalrous Orc
Approved Character

Orc, Volkek-Oshra

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2007, 01:35:00 AM »

Arcuthra bundled his cloak around himself a little tighter as he approached the gate. It was chilly, windy, and all he had in mind was a fire and food. He walked up the gate and spied a guard.

"I'd like to enter the city" he rumbled. "Anything I need to sign to get in?"

Simonne Miller
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2007, 03:03:58 AM »

Corporal Thomas looked the person in front of him up and down. An intimidating man, quite muscled and apparently quite confident. Or was he a man, Thomas wondered. Noticing the slightly protruding fangs, he decided that he was not. He'd heard of orcs before, though this particular specimen seemed friendly enough, if a little gruff.

"I'd like to hear your name, to start with. Could you also show all your weapons?" Thomas answered. It was an automatic response, though usually posed to a human and not an orc. Not that he was really intimidated. All right, perhaps slightly impressed. But he was not going to show that. Besides, though he looked at the orc, awaiting his answer, his mind was elsewhere, with a certain dark-haired girl who was somewhere in the palace. He longed to go there and whisk her away, but he was on duty. As long as he was guarding the gate, he could not run up to the palace. But afterwards... Yes, afterwards...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]