Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Zocharras' Gate(Nyermersis)  (Read 26232 times)
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2007, 11:05:00 PM »

John watched Jonas lead Pindari to his stall. He had listened carefully when Yurie explained to Jonas how he rode the Gryph. He was impressed. He did not think he would have the courage to ride in the air without something to hold onto besides the Gryph's feathers. How did Yurie hang on if the bird flipped over?

Turning back to John, Yurie said, "Okay, John, tell me about this paperwork!"

"It is really nothing just something you need to carry with you at all times. It states your name, occupation and any and all weapons that you carry. If anyone in authority asks, you must show it to them immediately or else you find yourself in our dungeon, and believe me you do not want to go there," John said as he led Yurie out of the barn and back to the gatehouse.

He glanced back one more time and saw that Jonas was happily taking care of Pindari. "Jonas, is growing up so fast," he mumbled as he turned his head back looking where he was going.
Yurie Yileen
Walker of Dreams
Mini-mod

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2007, 02:25:03 AM »

The fresh, angelic air slapped Yurie in the face as he stepped outside.  He felt relieved to be moving again.  If he had stayed in the barn much longer then he might have ended up falling asleep!

John was explaining the purpose of the paperwork.

"It is really nothing just something you need to carry with you at all times. It states your name, occupation and any and all weapons that you carry. If anyone in authority asks, you must show it to them immediately or else you find yourself in our dungeon, and believe me you do not want to go there."

Great, sounds like the kind of thing that I misplace, forget or use as kindling!  Yurie thought to himself.

"Jonas, is growing up so fast," John remarked under his breath after taking a quick look back.

"How long has he been a soldier here?"  Yurie asked as they walked along.

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2007, 10:42:14 PM »

"Huh? Oh Jonas. He is not a soldier yet. He is too young. He is an orphan, much like myself, and us guards are his parents. He helps out in the barn to earn his keep. Once he is old enough he wants to become a soldier. I think he will make a fine soldier."

The gatehouse was warm with a fire burning brightly in the fireplace. It was utiltarian; with just two chairs both opposite of a small desk in between them. A small cot was set in the corner of the room and there was one large window facing east that let the morning sun shine through illuminating the dust flies that floated aimlessly around the room and more were disturbed as John walked to the fireplace, took a pot of hot water off of the rail that hung above the fire, placed two cups down with tea leaves in them and poured himself a cup. "Do you want a cup of tea, before we get started?" He asked.
Yurie Yileen
Walker of Dreams
Mini-mod

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2007, 11:42:30 PM »

John started to tell Yurie a little about Jonas as they trudged across to the gatehouse.  When he mentioned that the boy was an orphan, Yurie better understood why John had shown such tenderness to him, as though he were his son.

Soon they had reached the gatehouse.  Walking inside, Yurie felt a dry warmth caress his exposed skin.  He looked around.  The room was pretty austere, with a bare minimum of furniture.  Still, the healthy fire that was busy heating a blackened pot gave it a cosy feel.  Disturbed motes of dust were swimming blissfully in a sea of light that was flooding in through the window.  Combined with the warmth from the fire, one could have mistaken it for a summer's day outside.

Yurie took off his hat and gloves and placed them onto the small desk.  He propped his spear against the desk, and then unslung his bow and quiver of arrows off his back.  He placed these carefully onto the floor beside one of the chairs, and then sat down.

It felt good to take the weight off his feet, and he leant back, stretching his arms above his head.  He opened his mouth wide and yawned.  The heat was the kind that could make a man fall asleep in a matter of minutes.  Hmm, I could do with some kao-kao to keep me awake!   Yurie thought to himself.

Just then, John placed two cups of tea onto the table.

"Do you want a cup of tea, before we get started?" he asked.

"Aha!"  Yurie exclaimed.  "I'd love a cup, thanks!"

Now this is more like it, he thought.

John poured the hot water onto the tea leaves, which released their delicate fragrance.  Yurie breathed in deeply and sighed, "Nothing like a good cup o' tea!"  he said in appreciation.  Then he picked up the cup that John had poured for him and took another deep breath.  This time he closed his eyes, and in his mind's eye he could see the tea fields where the leaves had been grown.  He could smell the earth and the light rains that had nurtured their growth.  He could see the workers who had picked them.  And he could feel the warmth of the sun that had dried them creeping through the cup and into his hands. Actually, the cup was getting too hot, so he placed it back onto the table.

Now, I don't know about John, but I could do with a smoke, Yurie thought to himself, as he pondered where he had left his favourite pipe and weed.

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2007, 10:43:20 PM »

John sat down and grinned as he looked and listened to Yurie speak about tea. John felt the same but hardly expressed it like Yurie just did. John took a couple of sips of the hot tea, placed his cup down, opened a drawer and took out one piece of parchment, closed the drawer, placed the parchment on the desk and picked up the feathered pen.

He began to write then paused and looked up at Yurie. "I believe I have Yurie spelled correctly however your last name I am having problems with. Could you please spell it for me and then I need to know your occupation and the kinds of weapons you are carryng. I already saw your bow and your spear, do you have any other weapons?" John asked.
Yurie Yileen
Walker of Dreams
Mini-mod

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2007, 02:51:15 PM »

When Yurie looked over at John, he could see that he had produced a piece of parchment from the desk.  He was grinning broadly, and Yurie guessed that he must really enjoy his work.

As John began to write, Yurie continued rummaging around in his pockets, trying to find his pipe.

Pausing, John looked up and said,

"I believe I have Yurie spelled correctly however your last name I am having problems with. Could you please spell it for me and then I need to know your occupation and the kinds of weapons you are carrying. I already saw your bow and your spear, do you have any other weapons?"

Hmmm, Yurie thought.  I haven't had to spell my name since...well...since a long time ago!

He had a sudden, rather unpleasant flashback to his classroom at school, where he could see a very angry, red faced teacher towering above him and shouting something about 'Y' not 'E'.  Guess it starts with a 'Y' then.  Unfortunately, the rest of what the teacher was shouting wasn't very helpful.  Just something about 'fools' and 'idiots'.

Coming back to the present time, Yurie could see that John was waiting for his reply, his feathered pen poised in mid-air.

"Well, it starts with a 'Y'."  Yurie said confidently.  "And I guess you can take it from there."  He added, a little less confidently.

"Actually, John, to tell you the truth, I'm not even sure how to spell it myself!"

He picked up his cup and took a sip of tea before continuing.

"You see, John, I wasn't too good at school.  I spent most of my time out in the sun, learning important things...like how to ride and how to hunt."  He motioned to the bow and arrows lying next to him on the floor. "I've been using a bow since I was six years old.  I'm never without one."  Then he pointed to his spear.  "And I've been using spears for almost as long."

He paused as he thought about any other weapons that he might have.  Of course, Pindari was a formidable 'weapon', but since he wasn't entering the city with him, it didn't seem necessary to mention it.

"Those are my only real weapons."  Yurie continued.  "Although I also have a small knife, I've never used it as a weapon, just as a tool.  But you might want to mention it, too."

Just then, his searching hand found his wooden flute.  Aha!  That's lucky!  Yurie thought to himself.

So far, John had been kind and friendly to him.  But Yurie had a suspicion that if John found out that he was an ex Black Butterfly, then his attitude might change.  So, pulling the well worn flute out of his pocket, Yurie said,

"And as for my profession, well, I earn coin with this!"

He held the flute up, it's smooth wood glowing softly in the morning light.

"How about I play a tune as you write?  Something happy or something sad, I don't mind.  What would you like to hear?"

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2007, 01:42:52 AM »

John sat back in his chair in surprise. He thought he had heard it all, but an archer/spearman who earned his living playing the flute! Something did not fit here. However Yurie did say he did not know how to read or write and did poorly in school. If it were not for his uncle insisting upon John learning reading and writing he would probably be something like Yurie here, except John was a very poor archer, never liked the spear, but loved the sword. He was a natual born swordsman, he was told by his teacher, Sgt. Reeves, who was no slouch at the sword himself.  John had met many a young farmer boy, who came to the city to join the army or make it on his own who did not know how to read and write, but had more 'common sense" than any city born boy their age. Perhaps Yurie was talented at the flute and only used the bow for hunting his food and the spear to defend himself? That made sense to John. Not all who wielded weapons were mercenaries, he had to remind himself.

He smiled at Yurie, "A happy tune would be nice," he said as he continued writing on the parchment. He wrote Yurie Y as the name, occupation, Musician, weapons, bow and spear. He did not even mention the knife.
Yurie Yileen
Walker of Dreams
Mini-mod

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2007, 07:05:56 PM »

John smiled at Yurie and said, "A happy tune would be nice."

Yurie smiled back.  He held the flute up to his lips and closed his eyes.

He started playing very softly, the first note graciously rising from the silence.  He didn't have any specific tune in mind, but as he started to play, he felt the spirit of a Hobbit's jig come over him.

And as the spirit took him, he played harder and fuller.  The notes rolled out from each other like waves on the ocean.

When he had played it through once, he started again, but this time he allowed himself to improvise on the original tune.

As he improvised, he quickened the tempo, his foot beating out the time.  His fingers and lips were loosened up now, and he gave himself completely to the music, swaying from side to side.

When he had finished the tune for the second time, he pretty much abandoned it all together.

Now he played his memories.  The contentment of long summer afternoons spent out on the grasslands.  The austere beauty of distant mountains.  Tender moments of stolen kisses and whispered words of love.  All of these thoughts took a melodic form and filled the small room with their many hued cadences of joy.

And yet, hidden deep within this mine of happy memories, there ran a vein of sorrow.  The secret sorrow that lies as a dormant seed in the sweet fruit of joy.  A hint of loss.  A suggestion of broken hearts and promises.  The ghost of a melancholy mood that haunted even the brightest of days.

And as the sadness began to swell into his tune, Yurie faded the final note back down into silence.

He let the warm silence caress his ears briefly, before lowering the flute, and opening his eyes once more.

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #98 on: October 30, 2007, 10:24:03 PM »

John finished the parchment, leaned back with his cup of tea and listened to Yurie play his flute. He found himself tapping his foot along with the bright melody and then their was some improvisation on the same melody that confirmed Yurie's story about being a flute player. When he changed to a haunting melody John closed his eyes and saw his mother's smiling face and gentle voice. He smelled freshly baked bread and heard papa chopping wood for the fireplace.  He rushed out with his little hatchet and tried to cut the smaller pieces of wood; his papa showing him how to hold his hatchet and how to cut the wood with the grain. As Yurie continued to play John saw the clear brook near their home teeming with fish and he absently chuckled when he remembered catching his first big fish and how it pulled him into the brook and his father laughing as he pulled him out of the water along with the big fish. John was very proud that day.

And then the Merc's came!

And then too soon the melody drifted off. John opened tear stained eyes and saw Yurie open his. John quickly brushed the tears away, sealed the parchment and handed it to Yurie. "That was very very good. I am sure you will have no problem receiving coin after a performance like the one you just gave me. I am honored to have heard you play.  When I get off of work I will look you up to see and hear you again; next time with something more in my hand than a piece of paper. Please keep this paper with you at all times and show it to anyone in authority who asks or else you may find yourself playing your flute in our dungeon. No, you would not even be able to do that, as all possessions are taken away. Anyway good luck and welcome to Nyermersys," John said holding out his hand.
Yurie Yileen
Walker of Dreams
Mini-mod

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #99 on: November 01, 2007, 06:28:33 PM »

Yurie looked over at John, who had finished writing and was sealing the parchment.  He looked a little uncomfortable, like a child who had been caught doing something naughty.  When he handed the parchment over, Yurie noticed that his eyes were glistening in the morning light.

A smile rose in Yurie's chest.  He played his music straight from the heart; laying bare his memories and emotions.

Emotion.

The motion of feelings.  If his music didn't move people in some way, then he considered it a failure.  It was a much better reward for Yurie to see a common soldier cry than to hear a King clap politely.

"That was very very good. I am sure you will have no problem receiving coin after a performance like the one you just gave me. I am honored to have heard you play.  When I get off of work I will look you up to see and hear you again; next time with something more in my hand than a piece of paper. Please keep this paper with you at all times and show it to anyone in authority who asks or else you may find yourself playing your flute in our dungeon. No, you would not even be able to do that, as all possessions are taken away. Anyway good luck and welcome to Nyermersys."

Yurie allowed his inner smile to shine out as he took John's extended hand and shook it warmly.

"Thanks for your appreciation, John.  I just hope that the other residents of this great city are as kind as you."

Yurie picked up his cup of tea and drained it.  He felt its warmth course through his body as he chewed a couple of tea leaves that had found their way into his mouth.  Then he placed the parchment into his 'important' pocket.  He kept all of his important things in this pocket.  And as he placed the parchment in, he felt the familiar shape of his favourite pipe.  Aha!  Of course!  That's where it is!  What could be more important than that?

Then, as he picked up his weapons, he asked John a question.

"Say, John.  Where can I find a decent inn around here?  Nothing too expensive, mind!  Also, is there a market close by?  Somewhere that I can play my flute."

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #100 on: November 01, 2007, 11:20:28 PM »

"Broks Rest is the inn I would recommend. And yes there is a martket street, I think every city would have one. When you leave here just head west down the main street. Near the center of town you will see a raised hill, that is where the Castle is and where the Earl Legrimond resides. Broks rest is just a bit to the left of that hiil and the market street I am sure you will have no problem finding...just follow the noise. Oh, I would advise you not to venture to far west as you will run into the more poorer section of town and then you end up in the harbour district.  Our patrols have found more cut throats and dead bodies in that area than anyother place in Nyermersys," John said as he opened the door leading out of the gatehouse.

He pointed to Yurie the direction in which to go. "Oh, and if your looking for permanent work as a musician, instead of just a street one, Queprur's Temple is always looking for them. In fact a young man just came through here who planned on starting a musician's shop. His name was Petro's, I do not know the name of his shop, but I am sure if you looked and asked aroiund you will find it. Take care now Yurie and hopefully I will see you again," John said warmly as he watched Yurie head on down the street.

As John went back into the gatehouse Linden came running up to him breathlessly. "John, Private First Class John. You will not believe what is going to happen."

"What?" John asked, slightly curious.

"Garret and the Sarge are going head to head in the training grounds," Linden answered.  He grinned, "Want to watch?" He asked.

"Garret? Do you mean the young Merc who..." John stopped, he did not know if Linden knew Garret was a mercenary.

"Yeah, John both I and Brule know. Garret told us and he also told us that not all mercs are like the kind that...well you know," Linden said.

"I suppose you two had to go shoot your mouths off about me." John accused.

"We told Garret only after he asked why we were so against Merc's; Brule and I. He had no idea about you until then," Linden said defensively. "Are you coming to watch?" Linden asked again.

There was nothing pressing at the moment and he would like to see a Merc get his head handed to him, he thought as they headed toward the training grounds. Though deep down he wished it was one of the other Merc's instead of Garret. He had liked the boy.  "What caused Garret and the Sarge to go head to head anyway? Did the Sarge find out he was a Merc? John asked.

"Nope, he does not know," Linded answered. "Garret told him he had eleven years of experience with a sword and at first from what Brule told me the Sarge thought he was a Noble's son. But from what I gathered from Brule, Garret comes from a wealthy merchants family that disowned him. Brule figures that is why Garret joined a band of Merc's, just for survival."

"You seem to like him," John said.

"Yeah, I do and so does Brule. He made us understand a bit about what he did. And I made Brule remember how many times he complained about having to go after bandits when he thought that the Earl could just have hired a band of merc's to do it," Linded said, a bit forcefully.

"That is what we are paid to do. Protect our citizens, whether they live in the city or not, Brule is just lazy. We have no need for mercenaries, no matter what their intentions may be."

"Well..."

John did not want to argue with Linden all day.  He cut him short. "Let's go see this Merc fight the Sarge. My money is on the Sarge."

Linden grinned, "Your on, mine is on Garret. How about a weeks pay?" Linden asked as they both ran to the training grounds.

John answered, "Your on!"

OOC John and Linden will be at the Garrison.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 11:33:42 PM by Capher » Logged
Yurie Yileen
Walker of Dreams
Mini-mod

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2007, 07:22:32 PM »

Yurie listened attentively to John's advice as he slung his bow and quiver of arrows over his shoulders.  He put his hat and gloves back on, and then picked up his spear.

"Oh, I would advise you not to venture to far west as you will run into the more poorer section of town and then you end up in the harbour district.  Our patrols have found more cut throats and dead bodies in that area than anyother place in Nyermersys."

Hmm guess I won't be heading that way...well, not yet anyway!

John had opened the door, and Yurie felt a blast of cold air on his face.  Barega, the large black crow on his shoulder, ruffled his feathers a little.  Guess he'd prefer to stay in the warm!  Still, no avoiding it, I've gotta earn some sans, Yurie thought to himself as he stepped outside again.

Actually, it wasn't too cold, and Yurie still had some of the fire's warmth trapped underneath his coat and hat.  The sun was hanging low in the clear blue sky.

John showed him the way that he should go and then added a little more information about finding work and a music shop.

After thanking John for his kindness and advice, Yurie turned and started to walk towards the town.

He decided that the best course of action would be to head to the market area.  John's tea had given him some energy, and he felt like playing his flute some more.

Yurie looked up at the sky and smiled to himself.  It was going to be a good day!

OOC - Yurie will be posting at "Market Street" now...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 07:24:02 PM by Yurie Yileen » Logged

Kurr
Cur
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #102 on: November 27, 2007, 03:55:27 PM »

He approached the Zocharras Gate, one hand holding Titan's reins while the other tugged at his hood, making sure his face was well hidden within the darkness and folds of the grey cloth. His one working, deep blue eye fell on the gate, knowing what was behind it and wondering what had possessed him to set his feet upon this path again. It seemed like just yesterday he had ridden out of this gate in the middle of the night, but that was almost a year and a half ago. Titan pressed on through the slush towards the gate, unaware of the thoughts spinning around in his master's head, Drake along side him, happily pouncing through the melting snow at the strong smell of home. Kurr sat atop the Rusik horse wondering if he should turn around now, wondering if he even had time to turn around. It was almost like he was walking into a trap that he knew was a trap, but then again maybe it wasn't a trap. The strange logic he had come up with in his head even confused him.

Kurr has lost the hunters in the last city he had traveled though. At least he hoped he had, and if he hadn't why would they think to look for him here. His tracks had mingled with the tracks of travelers, traders, and other such men, and he doubted his father's henchmen would follow him to the very gates of his home. Maybe this was the safest place for him. With a wry grin that was safely hidden within the folds of darkness he wondered what sort of fool he was. Then wondered if he was a fool at all, maybe the safest place was the one place they wouldn't really think to look for him. Home!

Nyermersys wasn't really home anymore, but it was the closest thing he had to a home. It had been almost a year and a half since he had been here, and almost two years since he had been scarred. The pain of what he had lost that day in the woods hit him then and he almost turned Titan around, but he stopped himself, he had to get over it. So he kept forward, drawing closer and closer to the gate. When they reached the gate, Kurr dismounted and stepped forward. With the bottom of his fist and forearm he beat at the door thrice. Each blow sending a swift jolt and stinging sensation from the cold into his arm but he ignored it. When he was almost sure it had been heard he stepped back and once more tugged at the edge of his hood, trying to keep his scarred face hidden.

Most prisons are of our own making. A man makes his own freedom too.
Quote: Robin Hobb
Seh'nara Celebrindal
Swift Ranger
Story Mod

Elf, Tethinrhim

« Reply #103 on: November 27, 2007, 04:26:10 PM »

After John and Linden left for the Garrison, Harry took their place. It had been a cold night, and he was inside, warming his frozen fingers and insides with some hot tea. Barely five minutes after he started to relax, three loud thumps echoed around the small room. "Damn it," Harry swore. Duty calls, he thought.

He stood up and placed his teacup gently on the table, making sure it was far away from the stack of fresh parchment. He walked out of the office and headed for the main gate. It took him a few seconds before he reached the door. Pulling open the gate's door, he glanced out, unwilling to let too much cold air in. A hooded stranger stood outside the door, a hound and horse by him. Harry opened the door wider, a sign of welcome.

"Hello, traveller. Welcome to the City of Death. What may I do for you?" he asked politely.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 04:26:34 PM by Seh'nara Celebrindal » Logged

Kurr
Cur
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #104 on: November 28, 2007, 08:48:21 AM »

The gate slowly opened a bit and a guard peered out. Upon spotting Kurr and his beasts the door opened up a bit wider. Kurr fought the urge to pull at the edge of his cloak as he watched the gate open a bit more. The guard spoke to him then.

"Hello, traveler. Welcome to the City of Death. What may I do for you?" Harry asked politely.

Kurr looked the man over for a moment. He seemed somewhat reluctant to be standing at the gate with the cold but he put on a friendly face. The question drilled into Kurr and he was quiet for a moment. He hadn't really thought of a reason for being there other than hiding and he couldn't really tell the guard that. It took a few minutes for him to recall the animal hides that he had recently procured. Kurr had wanted to work the furs himself but figured that could wait for another time.

"Hello, just passing through and figured I'd get a look at the City of Death. Also have some hides and want to see if I can find a buyer," Kurr said, motioning over his shoulder to the medium sized bundle behind the saddle.

It wasn't much of a haul but it was good enough. He had taken a couple vixens and an elfcat. The elfcat had proved somewhat difficult to catch and had taken three days to slowly track it, but finally he had come upon it as it slept. Kurr took a step to the right to be sure the guard could get a look at the bundle, and then waited for a reply.

Most prisons are of our own making. A man makes his own freedom too.
Quote: Robin Hobb
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]