Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Blood Gate and the Harbour District(Nyermersys)  (Read 12256 times)
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« on: February 11, 2006, 12:58:23 AM »

By land to the North to enter Nyermersis you have to cross the great Dragonthorn bridge, then you enter the harbour district.  Where goods are shipped and Nyermersis's navy is docked.   <p>Capher.</p>
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 01:45:26 AM by Capher » Logged
festrath Blackmoor
New Santharian

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 07:39:23 AM »

The warship could be seen on the horizon. Rapidly approaching, the gleaming black ship seemed to travel with the deadly intent and speed of an arrow. The front of the ship, carved in the likeness of a green dragon, split through the air with the fearsome figurehead grinning at the prow of the ship.

Green sails filled the air, flapping in the wind. Hanging from the top of the middle mast, was the Admiral's flag. A gleaming golden ju'bat cat snarled while a green dragon coiled behind it, all set on a navy blue background. With his banner flapping proudly in the wind, Festrath stood on the forecastle at the prow of the ship. His silks fluttered in the wind as did his un-tethered hair, with his gold cape flying out behind him. The pirate was crouched at the front of the ship, standing on the raised forecastle covering the bow.

Enjoying the sea foam as it hit his face, Festrath kept his blue eyes on the city of Nyer. His services were required, and he was happy to oblige. His flagship, the Maelstrom, was heading with great speed towards the Blood Gate, to enter the Harbour District. Sailors climbed the rigging, furling the sails as they neared the gates. Grinning, Festrath stood from his crouched position as they made ready to enter the Harbour.

Festrath Blackmoor

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 02:40:23 AM »

The Palace guard was glad the rain had stopped and even the clouds were parting and sunshine was peeking through.  The wind even had a hint of warmth in it as well.

He had been sent by the Earl who had heard that Admiral Blackmoor had finally come home and he was to await for the Admirial's flagship the "Maelstorm" to dock and then bring him to the Palace.  As the guard watched the ship come into port, he frowned at the flag.  The ship should be flying Nyermeris's colors, not the Admiral's own personal colors, at the very least it should fly at least both. He thought.

Capher.

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 04:03:23 AM »

Sgt Lynch

They had walked through the streets, Lynch pointing out what places of buisnesses were to be watched more than others. "The reason being is that this buisness, ply's in furs and such, while this one over there only sells food.  Which one is more important?" He asked.

He continued walking as he awaited one or the other youngsters to reply to his question.  Finally they came to the Harbour district.  You could smell the fish smell and the river water as you neared it.  You could also hear much rowdiness coming from the myriad of taverns and inns that the people of this part of town frequented, especially the sailors.

"Be careful in this part of town, always be on the watch.  These people here will slit your throat for a few sans if it suited them.  They usually shy away from the city watch, but if they are drunk enough and there is enough around, they could mob you.  A good friend of mine got caught up in one of these drunken mobs and now he walks on only one good leg and a wooden one for the other."  He spit.

"Dirty dogs.  I do not know why the Earl even thought of a navy and sailors. Our army is the finest trained army in the north, why a navy?  All it did was bring pirates, who call themselves sailors. Bah, they are pirates and most should be hung.  Did you know that the King promoted the worst of these pirates as the Admiral of his navy?"  He spit again.

Suddenly a door burst open on one of the taverns, and two men came out swearing and drawing some sort of short curved sword.  The started swinging at one another.  "I suppose we should stop it, but I say let it be.  As long as it is just between the two.  One less pirate in the morning, is fine with me. We will just stay and watch to make sure it stays a fair fight."  Lynch said, crossing his arms in front of his chest watching the two drunken combatants.  

Capher.

Manik Targin
Guard of Nyermersys
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 03:46:23 PM »

They made their way up through the city to the north. There was a chill in the air, but it was clear, and Manik had enough layers on. While they walked Sgt. Lynch past the time explaining and asking questions about different things to do with the patrols and things to look for. Dean had obviously heard much of the things before as he seemed to have most of the answers. Manik tried to pay attention and keep note while at the same time taking in the city as they walked by. “Well food is the answer I want to give, but furs drive trade as well. They are both important to Nyermersys, I guess.” Pillars of light streaked the ground and merry music and laughter spilled out of the taverns they passed, but elsewhere was quiet in the still night. As they got closer to the Harbour district the taverns got more rowdy and the stillness elsewhere got more still. Also the smell of the docks and river became more apparent. It was somewhat of a new smell to Manik, and he sniffed thinking about it.

He was listening to Lynch talk about the sailors and Nyermersys’ navy when two dirty men burst out of a tavern on the right. Drawing short curved swords, it was obvious what was about to take place.
"I suppose we should stop it, but I say let it be. As long as it is just between the two. One less pirate in the morning is fine with me. We will just stay and watch to make sure it stays a fair fight."
Manik looked from the two men to Lynch and back. He knew interceding would be trouble, but his brain told him he should do something. He had become a guard to protect people, not watch them slice each other to bits. “I’m not going to just sit and watch someone die,” he replied to Lynch and Dean. Taking a few more steps towards the pair of drunks who were cursing at one another and waving their swords, he drew his long sword. Holding it in one hand he made himself stand casually with the sword hanging idly but also making it hard for the pair to miss when he got their attention. “Hey you!” he shouted. They both looked his way and then in as calm a voice as he could find, “I don’t feel like watching both of you die tonight. How about you go about different ways and get another drink.” Manik put on a stern face but kept his stance casual and confident. He wanted his confidence to win this fight, not his blade.

Manik Targin

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 02:18:23 AM »

The two men were startled when they heard Manik's voice, and turned toward it. The closest to Manik peered at him through drunken eyes. "Ey, wh't it's to you?"  He turned to the other man, "Ey, Dar' this bloke, is giv'n orders."

Dar looked and slowly put his sword his away, "Ey,Sol, he be city watch, and I'n know the big'n behind him. We go an' drink some, 'sides I 'get what we 'ere fitin about any'ay."

Sol looked at Dar, weaving a bit, then turned and peered at Manik, "You lucky boy, if'n were not for that animal at yer back, I would ha'e cut ye to ribbons, I would."  He spat, put his sword away and walked with his shipmate back into the tavern.

Sgt. Lynch

"Well Manik, that was a very brave, but stupid thing to do.  I told you to stand there and watch.  Which is paramount to an order.  You disobeyed an order and could have gotten yourself and your partner killed.  Did you not see the eyes staring out of the window in that tavern.  If either one of those drunken pirates had made the decision to attack instead of obey you, we would have had more than just two on our hands.  As it was we were lucky.  Our watch is over, it is time to head back to the barracks.  Manik, I will think about reporting this to the Captain when we return.  Disobeying orders, no matter what you may think of them, is cause for a reprimand at the least, and dismissal from the army at the worst.  Think about that as we walk back to the barracks."

Capher.

Manik Targin
Guard of Nyermersys
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 12:34:23 PM »

Once the two men turned away to go back into the tavern, Manik let out a breath he hadn’t known he was holding. Sergeant Lynch didn’t seem very happy about the whole thing. As Lynch came down on him Manik knew the man was probably right. Dean gave him a quick shrug and sympathetic expression. The order had been to keep them safe. Still, he wouldn’t regret what happened. If he hadn’t acted he would be picking up the dead corpse of one or maybe both of those men right now. But on the other hand, if things had gone bad someone might be picking up his corpse right now. He just nodded and kept silent. He would take whatever punishment came his way. He doubted that they would kick him out of the guard already. He’d probably have to do dishes or some menial job to teach him a lesson if Lynch did say something. He’d do it, and he would know it had saved a man’s life. The walk home was dark and quiet, which made it seem much longer than it really was.

Manik Targin

festrath Blackmoor
New Santharian

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 02:02:23 PM »

Festrath jumped nimble from his ship to the docks as soon as he was in range. He engaged the palace guard as his crew began anchoring and tying the ship down.

Inclining his head to the guard, Festrath noted the man's frown. "Good day, sir. I accertain that you are here to receive me, aye? What's wrong with you?" He said referring to the man's frown. Looking over his shoulder at the ship, he said. "Do you not like my ship? Something wrong with it?"

Festrath Blackmoor

Morghan Nichole
Christian's Mute Servant
Approved Character

Human, Zarathian/Ordian

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 01:55:23 AM »

Morghan walked in silence around the docks, taking in the city quietly. She bumped into someone and nodded her head in apology to them before moving away. She licked her lips slowly as she looked around, then, the sight of a few guards caught her eyes. She tensed and watched them for a moment before she noticed them notice her. She frowned and turned away, walking in the opposite direction away from them.

"You're in for it now..."

Her demon whispered... in his normal shape of a calico cat besides her.

"Shuttup" She hissed mentally as she quickened her pace a little. She turned and looked behind her, seeing the guards in persuit of her and she quickly ducked behind a few boxes and barrels that were stacked up ready to be shipped. Two guards passed her quickly and she smiled slightly, turning to the right and running directly into another guard.

He grabbed her quickly, before she could even register the fact that she ran into him

"She is over here, I got her"

He yelled to his buddies, his fingers wrapping around the back of her neck and holding tightly. She winced and twisted, kicking back and nailing him in the groin. He gasped, letting go and she bolted just to run into one of his friends who wrapped his arms around her waist and held her up, stopping her from kicking with a growl...

"You kick me like you did him and you will suffer greatly."

Morghan did not scream, she couldn't though she wanted to desperately. The guard pushed her against the boxes, moving his hand over her mouth just in case. Morghan didn't fight, she really couldn't and now that all three guards were there she really had no chance of getting away. Her grey-green eyes glistened slightly as she looked around, attempting to figure out a way to escape.

She took deep breaths through her nose, turning her eyes into the eyes of the man who held her against the boxes.

"Who are you..."

He growled. She looked to him silently, his hand sliding down just beneath her chin and holding lightly, keeping her pressed against the boxes.

She said nothing, simply shook her head and looked away.

"I asked you a question" he growled louder this time, shaking her slightly.

She opened her mouth to speak, but naught came out. She hoped he would grasp this concept but he did not. She moved her hand to point to her throat, to gesture that she could not speak but he grabbed her hand quickly, assuming she was going to struggle again.

"Answer me woman" He growled.

Still she remained silent and turned her eyes away. He slapped her with the back of his hand, a hot sting biting her cheek and a tear filling her eye. She was stuck without a way to get free. She took a deep breath and looked past the guards, hopeful someone would stop them from harassing her.

"As I was going up the stair
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd stay away."
Naya More'ek
Wolf Friend
Approved Character

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 03:43:23 AM »

Private Thomas was walking quickly. He was on his way home, because he was allowed to visit his mother this evening. Normally he'd have to stay in the barracks, but they made an exception for him because she was deteriorating quickly. It pained him to see her sliding away, but she was already old and she had had a good life. It also pained him because he knew that she was aware of every step her body took away from life and closer to the grave. He still had his guard's uniform on. He had been a guard of Nyer for some years now, and he had worn his uniform so often that he almost felt vulnerable without it. After his visit, he would go back to the barracks and join in Manik's welcoming party.

On his way from the barracks to his mother, he had to pass the harbour. Many people who stayed in this district were rather rough, but Thomas had grown up near them, and he knew very well how to handle them. He rarely landed in a situation where many of the ... more colourful types ... attacked him.

As he was walking, he saw some of his colleagues surrounding someone. At first he assumed that it was one of the slouchy types that he had been thinking of moments before, but just as he passed them, he heard one of them say 'Answer me, woman'. All three the guards were standing with their backs to him, so they didn't see him and he didn't see their faces. However, the raw voice immediately told Thomas that it was Nat. Great, he thought. Nat was just one of those people that fitted in better with the colourful types than with the guards.

Then he saw Nat raising his hand and hitting the person they were surrounding - the woman, as Thomas had heard from Nat's command. He decided to intervene.

"Hey, hey, hey. What's going on here, Nat?" At the sound of his voice, all three the guards turned around. "Butt out, Thomas. This is our responsibility, you are off duty tonight. But if you really must know, this lady here tried to run from us, and now she won't answer my question."
Thomas frowned a little. "And that is a reason to hit her? Be serious, man. Maybe she has a good reason not to answer you. Maybe... She has amnesia and doesn't know who she is. Or maybe she's deaf and doesn't understand you. For all you know, her tongue's been cut out and she can't talk. Why don't you try it this way, and no violence please." He turned away from Nat and towards the woman. With a friendly tone in his voice, he asked: "Hello, m'lady. Are you allright? Can you understand me? Can you talk?" If she could understand him, he would take her to Lieutenant Farrell. Well, if she couldn't, he'd still do that. He didn't trust Nat enough to allow him to take her to the Lieut. He'd use the excuse that they still had their shift.

While he pulled his hazel hair from his eyes, waiting for her answer, he noticed Nat's cold stares and pretended not to notice. He realised that he might just have made an enemy, but he didn't really care. His first business was to take this young woman to the lieut and then to go home and visit his mother. Nat was not at all important right now.

Morghan Nichole
Christian's Mute Servant
Approved Character

Human, Zarathian/Ordian

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 10:18:23 PM »

"Hey, hey, hey. What's going on here, Nat?"

The guards holding Morghan against the boxes turned to look to the young man whom the voice belonged to. Morghan's first instinct was to bolt... but her demon hissed...

"And then there were four"

"Hush" she snarled mentally. She scanned the space between men, contemplating running but there was no way she would get passed them... she was quick, but not that quick. She turned her eyes back to the one named Nat for a moment, then looked to the new man...

"Butt out, Thomas. This is our responsibility, you are off duty tonight. But if you really must know, this lady here tried to run from us, and now she won't answer my question."

Thomas frowned a little Morghan found herself doing the same. She stepped forward slightly, glaring from Nat to the other two guards... her hands were clenched in slight fists, her nails digging half moons into her palm. She couldn't believe this Nat man... of course she tried to run from him.. who wouldn't. He had a wild, dangerous look in his eye.

"And that is a reason to hit her? Be serious, man. Maybe she has a good reason not to answer you. Maybe... She has amnesia and doesn't know who she is. Or maybe she's deaf and doesn't understand you. For all you know, her tongue's been cut out and she can't talk. Why don't you try it this way, and no violence please."

Morghan had stepped forward slightly and when Thomas turned towards her she back stepped, stumbling slightly into one of the boxes. She panted slightly, nervous as she watched Thomas come close. Unlike Nat, Thomas did not have that stir crazy look in his eyes and that calmed Morghan just slightly.

"Hello, m'lady. Are you allright? Can you understand me? Can you talk?"

Morghan didn't know what to do... maybe she would be safer if she played dumb... but no... she wouldn't do that. She nodded slightly to the first two questions... then lowered her eyes and shook her head in response to the last. She lifted her hand to her mouth, letting it fall agape and pointing within while shaking her head.

Her eyes fell back upon Nat... that is a name she would remember... her eyes narrowed slightly but quickly they returned to Thomas. She swallowed dryly her cheek still red and burning slightly from where Nat had hit her.

Edited by: Morghan Nichole at: 8/18/06 14:23

Naya More'ek
Wolf Friend
Approved Character

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2006, 01:14:23 AM »

"See, Nat, she can't talk." Thomas said. "She might still have her tongue, but she can talk just as much as if it had really been cut out. Now, I will take the lady to the Lieut. I believe you three have some patrolling to do?" With a last cold stare towards Nat, he turned again to the lady, immediately softening his expression to a friendly smile.

"Now, M'lady, will you please follow me? I will not hurt you, but I will bring you to the lieutenant. It is custom that everyone who wishes to enter Nyer is questioned as to what their purpose is. Seeing that you're somewhat of a... special case, if you'll excuse the wording, I believe the lieutenant should see you. He will decide what will happen next. But I promise you that you won't end up in jail for running from the brute there." With a movement of his head, Thomas pointed towards Nat, who was patrolling again and couldn't hear him talk, but who glared at him every now and then.
"Here, you can take my arm. You'll be safer when men know that you're being escorted." he said, with somewhat of a mischievous grin on his face.  

Morghan Nichole
Christian's Mute Servant
Approved Character

Human, Zarathian/Ordian

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2006, 08:58:23 AM »

"See, Nat, she can't talk."

Her demon was on her shoulder, his tail flicking rapidly from side to side... she eyed him slightly, he had a wide grin. He mewed in her ear, in a sharp whinny voice...

"See, Nat, she can't talk."

She twisted and swatted at her demon... yelling at him mentally and spinning in a full circle. He disappeared at once with a giggle. She frowned and looked around not noticing the guard's odd expression as they looked at her with curious eyes. She looked to Thomas and shrugged slightly before pointing one finger and moving it around like a bee would fly... hoping he would go for the idea that she was swatting at a bug of some sort. He turned back to the other guards and continued speaking to them...

"She might still have her tongue, but she can talk just as much as if it had really been cut out. Now, I will take the lady to the Lieut. I believe you three have some patrolling to do?"

She smiled sweetly to him, looking from him back to the other guards who grumbled before turning away. She licked her parched lips quietly and looked into Thomas' eyes quietly.

"Now, M'lady, will you please follow me? I will not hurt you, but I will bring you to the lieutenant. It is custom that everyone who wishes to enter Nyer is questioned as to what their purpose is. Seeing that you're somewhat of a... special case, if you'll excuse the wording, I believe the lieutenant should see you. He will decide what will happen next. But I promise you that you won't end up in jail for running from the brute there."

She looked back to the guard whom Thomas was referencing and smiled faintly. He was looking at her, or Thomas with malice in his eyes. She swallowed dryly and looked back to Thomas.

"Here, you can take my arm. You'll be safer when men know that you're being escorted."

She rose a brow at his grin and tilted her head just slightly... but she took his arm none the less. She had never been on the arm of any man, let alone a guard and she flushed a little as people looked at them. She in her deerskin dress, with it's dirty and holes... he in his soldiers uniform. She peeked through the corner of her eye at him... he was quiet handsome she noticed but she tossed the thought away... he was a higher up... she was a lowly servant... and not even that yet.

***Will Continue at the Seagorn Garrison

Edited by: Morghan Nichole at: 8/21/06 0:26

Naya More'ek
Wolf Friend
Approved Character

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2006, 05:29:23 AM »

Thomas suddenly realised that he liked walking with this girl on his arm. She looked unkempt, and her dress was made of some animal's skin, which almost made her look like a barbarian, but he didn't care at all about her looks. He imagined her as a little animal, trying as hard as it could to hide from the big world outside, and himself there just to protect her.

He smiled a little about her enthusiasm over the large boat. He was used to sights such as that, having grown up here. His uncle owned a boat too, and he was always going to exotic places, places that Thomas could only dream of. Not that he really wanted to see them. It was enough to know that they were there, to hear stories about them from his uncle. His life was here in Nyer, and here he was happy.

As they walked on, she put her head on his shoulder. He felt rather than saw that she had closed her eyes and that she let him guide her. It intensified the feeling of wanting to protect her. He wanted the moment to last forever, but soon enough she was looking around and pointing again.

When they reached the house, he said: "Well, here we are. Lets go in." They had left the harbour behind, but even here, if the wind was right, the cries of the seamen could be heard. It wasn't a very big house, but it was adequate. It had a groundfloor and one storey above that. He opened the door, and with a smile invited her in. They were now standing in a small hallway, with the stairs to go up. The door ahead was standing open, and this is where Thomas led his guest. He walked in first, and immediately spotted his mother. She was sitting in a rockingchair next to the fireplace, humming a song and sewing something with needle and thread.

Quickly, he went over to her. "Hello mother. I'm home again." With that, he smiled at her, and knelt down beside her. The love they felt for eachother could clearly be seen in his eyes as well as hers. "Ah, Thomas, my son. There you are! I was starting to get worried, you took so long to get here. Make your poor mother some tea, will you?" That last request she always made when he came to visit her. He loved the ritual of coming home, letting her ask that question and then putting up the tea. Today, it would have to be a little differently, however.

"Mother, I have brought home a guest. I saved her from some rough guys, who were bothering her when she tried to enter the city. I took her to the Lieut, but he doesn't have a place to put her up, so I thought she could sleep here for a little while? Mom, this is Nichole." He said, as he pointed at his guest. His mother looked from one to the other, opened her mouth to say something, then closed it again. Then she looked at her son's face again and at the girl. This time she did speak. "Welcome, my girl. I'd get up and welcome you, but I'm not very good in getting up out of my chair anymore. Has my son told you that you have the same name as me? I'm called Nichole too. Now, Thomas, you go and make that tea, and make enough for your guest as well. Come girl, sit down on a chair. When the tea is finished, I'll have my Thomas go for water and put it in a tub. You would like a bath, wouldn't you?"

At this point, Thomas thought it necessary to intervene. "There is one more thing, mother. Nichole can't talk. She understands what we say, but she can't answer." This statement didn't seem to bother his mother in the least. She had decided that she liked this girl, and she had decided that her son liked her more, so a small thing like no voice wasn't going to stop her. She waved her hand at Thomas. "Isn't that tea ready yet? We will have no problem understanding eachother, are we girl? Two women who are called Nichole, they have to be able to do that. Come, don't be shy, sit down." She smiled broadly at the girl.

Morghan Nichole
Christian's Mute Servant
Approved Character

Human, Zarathian/Ordian

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2006, 01:02:23 AM »

"Well, here we are. Lets go in."

Morghan nodded as her eyes wandered the house quietly, still with slight caution she followed him, releasing his hand quietly and rubbing her arms. She licked her lips slightly as her eyes wandered around the room which they first entered. She looked up the stairs quietly but did not go up them, instead she followed Thomas through another door...

"Do not go in there..." Her demon hissed, curling around her ankle. She kicked at him with a mental growl.

As she followed Thomas she saw an old woman sitting in a chair near the fireplace. Morghan felt odd, entering this kitchen in this home of someone she hardly knew... but she ignored the feeling... what other choice did she have?

"Hello mother. I'm home again."

Morghan hung back near the door as Thomas knelt besides his mother and spoke with her for a few fleeting moments. She smiled quietly at the obvious love they shared, listening to them quietly.

"Ah, Thomas, my son. There you are! I was starting to get worried, you took so long to get here. Make your poor mother some tea, will you?"

"Mother, I have brought home a guest. I saved her from some rough guys, who were bothering her when she tried to enter the city. I took her to the Lieut, but he doesn't have a place to put her up, so I thought she could sleep here for a little while? Mom, this is Nichole."

Morghan smiled faintly, dropping a little in a curtsey type action. After all, she was a servant... her station didnt change at all when she came to this place...

"Welcome, my girl. I'd get up and welcome you, but I'm not very good in getting up out of my chair anymore. Has my son told you that you have the same name as me? I'm called Nichole too. Now, Thomas, you go and make that tea, and make enough for your guest as well. Come girl, sit down on a chair. When the tea is finished, I'll have my Thomas go for water and put it in a tub. You would like a bath, wouldn't you?"

Morghan nodded softly, Thomas saving her quickly, explaining what she could not with words...

"There is one more thing, mother. Nichole can't talk. She understands what we say, but she can't answer."

"Isn't that tea ready yet? We will have no problem understanding eachother, are we girl? Two women who are called Nichole, they have to be able to do that. Come, don't be shy, sit down."

Morghan nodded faintly and moved to sit besides Thomas... She still felt out of place, dirty, cold... this place was clean and cozy. She folded her arms in her lap quietly, looking to them in silence. She lifted her eyes though to Thomas' mother and smiled softly as she looked at her.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts