Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cedric's Street(Voldar)  (Read 30476 times)
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2007, 10:57:31 PM »

Damien watched as the man on the horse stopped his relentless march down the street and talked to the boy, seemed to give him some coin and then looking directly at him continued his way toward him.

Damien's appreciation for the stranger rose a notch when he saw the man give the boy some coin. It meant that the man had a heart. As the man came closer Damien wondered what the man wanted or perhaps had; information possibly, that would warrant Thai to direct him to the stranger.

He waited until the man halted his horse directly in front of him. The man looked uneasy, wary, and his hand wavered near the sword hanging from his saddle. The man did not know him, it seems. thought Damien.  He decided to put the man at ease.

"Welcome neighbor. I am Commander Damien Scar. I heard that you were looking for me. Well, you have found me," He said solemenly and then his face split into a wide grin and he swept across the crowd. "Go no now and go about your buisness. This man is a friend of mine and we were just jesting with each other. Now, go about your buisness."

The townspeople at first stared back and forth at both men and then began to disperse and soon the sound of merchants hawking their wares filled the streets as well as the good natured bartering that came along with the buying and selling of goods.

Damien quickly went to the right side of the mans horse and spoke low but fast. "Shall we go and have a drink at Arth's and talk? I trust Arth's, but there are too many ears in this place, even if they seem to be going about their buisness. I admire any man who has pity upon the poor. If you wish to wait for the boy to return then we can just talk here, pretending that we are good friends, but have not seen each other in awhile. By the way, what is your name?" Damien asked.
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2007, 09:41:03 PM »

Altario heard the mans words and his introduction, and he relaxed a bit.  The crowd then began to disperse at the commander's request.  Whoever this Scar was, he commanded much respect.  The very type of man of whom Altario hoped he would meet.  The commander then whispered quietly to him, about the need for privacy.  Altario nodded his ascent.  "I am Altario Shiat-eck-Gorrin, at your service.  No, we need not wait, the coin means little."
He glanced back towards the girl.  She could use the fresh fruit more than Horse.  Still, he worried about that threadbare dress she wore.  He reached into his saddle bag and pulled out the blanket he used for a bedroll.  He maneuvered Horse over to her and held forth the square of heavy material. "Wrap this about you.  When your brother returns, he'll have food for you.  Go back home."  He tossed the blanket to her.

He turned Horse's head back toward the man in black.  He had no time for charity.  He had things he needed to get done, so that he may leave this accursed city.  His own daughter was out there, somewhere, and as such, it was her that needed him, not this pair of street urchins.

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"It was a dark and stormy night."  - Snoopy
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat
"I did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewinski." - President Bill Clinton

My Character can be viewed @Angelina Jolie's house.  But knock first, in case I'm in my underwear.
Tojzek Kouba
Young Sentinel
Approved Character

Human, Caltharian

« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2007, 10:09:44 PM »

As the adolescent walked close to the man’s horse, his attention on the potential customer, he became unsettlingly aware of a sudden stillness around him, or rather a decrease in noise and bustle. Glancing up he saw another man, standing and waiting in the horseman’s path.  This one was dressed in the type of official garb which Tojzek had learnt to avoid at all costs; town guards were not known for welcoming street kids.  About to give up on the rider and fade neatly into the background, Tojzek saw him take a glance at Jituska who was following at a safe distance.  The young boy’s shoulders tensed and his face became noticeably blank.  However the sudden flush of protectiveness made him brave enough to continue walking.  The man slowed his horse, bringing the slightly shaggy beast to a halt.  Tojzek didn’t step too close until the man reached into his purse.  Trying not to fixate too much on the forthcoming coins he looked up into the man’s bearded face as the guy spoke.  His words were concerned and intelligent, but Tojzek still wasn’t comfortable with him mentioning his sister.  Yes, she needed looking after but that was his job, no-one else’s.  Especially not some random stranger in the street.  Why should he care?  What did he want?  Surely not just some fruit for his horse.

Tojzek shook himself out of his paranoia.  Money was money and they were desperate enough as it was without him getting fussy about who he took jobs from.  He inclined his head in acknowledgement of the man’s request, and even managed a stumbled "Thankyou very much sir," before hurrying back towards his sister.  He watched the official-looking man out of the corner of his eye as he walked, careful not to look at him directly but trying to still get a good view.  However in his desire to study this man, the boy lost sight of his sister among the crowds.  It was easily done as she was such a tiny thing, and he tried to reassure himself as he carried on moving towards the side of the street, scouting around for the child.  Maybe he should spend the money on something bright for her to wear – a red sash or bonnet.  That would make her easier to spot.

After a few minutes of patiently scanning the crowd the chestnut gelding caught his eye once more, moving suddenly away from the man in black and turning towards a little lost-looking girl.  Jituska!  As Tojzek frantically pushed his way through the moving crowd towards her, the rider spoke, dipping into his saddle bag for something.  What did he want?  But Tojzek’s fears were quenched when he brought forth a simple bedding roll and gave it to her before riding away again.  He stepped past the last person, close to her now, and grabbed her free hand more to reassure himself than anything else.  “What did he say?” he asked, torn between his ever-present anxiety and a sudden rush of the most amazing thankfulness.  The two emotions fought for supremacy, making him tremble slightly as he spoke.

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2007, 11:08:32 PM »

Damien again waited patiently as the man who called himself Altario moved his horse over to a young girl. Out of the corner of his eye he saw the young boy, trying to rush through the crowd to her. Damien immediately recognized the resemblance and the gesture of protectiveness that the boy showed. The boy slowed down and Damien saw that Altario had given the girl his bedroll and was heading his way.

Damien decided to meet him head on, yelling loudly enough for curious ears to hear. "Altario, my friend. I see you still have a heart for the poor. One day though you may regret it. But you are who you are. How is the family? Your wife and your sweet daughter?" Damien asked, guessing that the reason Altario cared so much for this poor girl was perhaps he did have a daughter or perhaps a son or both. 

He walked closer to Altario as Altario came to him, but this time there was something different in the man's eyes; suspicion and anger.  Damien thought, Did I accidently hit a nerve? Perhaps the man did have a wife and children and did could be the operative word here. Damien hoped that whatever he may have said that had changed the man's demenour could be repaired.
Jituska Kouba
Hungry Nymphet
Approved Character

Human, Caltharian

« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2007, 09:33:29 PM »

She looked confusedly from the blanket up at the stranger who'd given it to her. She was just about to thank him, but tell him that it really was not so cold that she needed both a blanket and the cloak she was wearing, which was really quite warm enough, when he turned away, without even waiting for her answer. Well. If he was so eager to get rid of his blanket, then they'd sleep a little warmer tonight. She looked around to tell Tojzek, but didn't spot him immediately. This didn't cause a panick-attack, though. She knew he'd find her again, as he always did. And besides, he had that errand to run, no? She'd quite clearly seen coins change hands from their previous owner to her brother.

The assumption that he'd gone on his errand was negated when she saw him coming running towards her. She smiled happily at him, her big brown eyes filled with warmth. She only barely gave him the time to ask what the man had told her when she started: "Look, Tojz, he gave me this." while lifting up the bundle in her arms. "He said to wrap it around myself, but I don't really see why, do you? But anyway, we're going to be warm tonight, aren't we Tojz? What did you have to do for him? He gave you money, didn't he? I saw he did! Are we going to eat?" It was only then that she took the time to take in a gulp of air to fill her lungs again.

She turned around to the two men who were talking, but it was obvious that the man in black wasn't going to call her, so she turned back to her brother. "Go on, go run your errand, I will wait for you here." She felt how her nose started running again, and wiped it with a dirty hand. She didn't want to tell Tojzek, but her throat was starting to hurt. She refused to worry him though, he had to run that errand. Maybe the stranger had another one to run afterwards. Maybe they could even afford a warm meal tonight! Oh, she'd so much enjoy that. She watched Tojz disappearing in the crowd. Then she squatted down next to a nearby wall and drew her cloak around her, while she hugged the precious blanket to her body. She wasn't going to let anybody steal it!

While squatting there, she looked around at all the people walking past on their various businesses. They all looked so... well, rich. Their clothing was good quality, they seemed to be able to eat every night. She unconsciously adopted her innocent-little-girl look, and soon a few small coins landed in the sloshy leftovers of the previous night's snow. She smiled genuinely at whoever had given her something, even though she hadn't been planning to beg, she was just waiting for her brother to return. Still, anything that could help them get some dinner was wonderful.

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2007, 02:01:39 AM »

Taloon had scored another purse and was looking for another victim when he spied two new faces; one a girl and the other a boy.  He watched curiously as the boy ran up to a stranger on a horse. There seemed to be some sort of conversation between the two and then the man gave the boy some coins.

Suddenly the market became silent. Taloon looked and saw the one person who put real fear into him and all the MadCaps; Commander Scar! Even though the Commander had some sort of arrangement with their old leader that allowed the MadCaps to operate as long as they did not cause an outcry from the citizens. However there were still arrests made by those who unfortunately got caught and then the Commander would administer the punishment.

The punishment varied depening upon the crime and severity of it; to simple jail time, fingers cut off, hands cut off or the ultimate, your head! Normally your head came off in the case of murder.

He listened closely as the Commander first challenged the stranger upon the horse and then told everyone they were friends and to go about their buisness.  Taloon did not believe that for a moment. First of all, the Commander was dressed in formal wear, and second of all the Commander moved too quickly to the stranger's side and began talking to him. 

Then something happened that made Taloon's eyes widen. The stranger went over to the girl and gave her a blanket.  His eyes narrowed and anger rose in Taloon.

He looked across the street and caught Roget's eye and nodded toward the girl. Roget nodded and touched jakal's arm who was close to him and the three began to close on the girl.

Suddenly the boy rushed right by Taloon and went to the girl. Taloon glanced at Roget and Jakal and they had noticed the boy as well and had halted their advance.

Taloon kept one eye on the Commander and his new found friend and one eye on the boy and girl. Then the boy left and the girl sat down, lying against the side of a building holding onto the blanket that the stranger had given him. Taloon grinned wickedly, caught the eyes of Jakal and Roget and noticed that they were already heading toward the girl.

Taloon decided to keep his distance and watch out for the boy in case he came back unexpectedly and let Roget and Jakal handle the girl. He watched as she was given coins as she sat there and that made him angrier still. Finally Jakal and Roget stood in front of the girl.

Jakal's thin stringy yet strong arms were hidden by a non-descrip light brown tunic covered by an overly large dark colored cloak that hung to the waist of a pair of pants the same color as his shrit. His favorite weapon was the knife and he carried several of them all concealed about his body. He had small beady brown eyes, dirty brown hair, with a small shock of it curled above his left eye. He grinned wickedly at the girl sitting below him with crooked yellow teeth. He pulled out one of them and casually picked at the undersides of his nails. " "ey girlie, donch ya know that ya not supposed to beg wit out permission?"

"Yeah,wit out permission," Roget added, grinning as his eyes roamed over the girl. Roget was thin, as was most theives; a fat thief could not climb roofs. Roget wore approximately the same type of clothing as Jakal. His eyes were gray, his chin sprouted a small black goatee and his head was covered with thick coarse black hair. His weapon of choice was his fists. His hands were huge and awfully strong as well as his arms compared to the rest of him, which made him a lousy pickpocket, so when Jakal and him were out, Roget would act as a blocker while Jakal did the actual pickpocketing.

Roget also had an eye for young girls and most of the whores who worked for the MadCaps he broke in,
he was almost salvitaing at the thought of breaking this one in.

Jakal chuckled and then Roget kneeled down and looked at the girl eye to eye. His hands headed for the girl's shoulders. "I like pretty girls," he said, "More than coins," he finished looking at her lustily. He glanced up at Jakal. "She's purty."

"Yeah, Roget, she is and you can 'ave her soon. But I want the coins you were given. Not all of them, just the rightful percentage that the MadCaps get." Jakal's speech changed from the street talk he had started out with to a more sophisticated one. "Now!" Jakal ordered.
Jituska Kouba
Hungry Nymphet
Approved Character

Human, Caltharian

« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2007, 06:37:49 PM »

Jituska opened her eyes wide when the two strangers talked to her. Not begging without permission? But she hadn't been begging! Well, not really anyway. She couldn't help it if people threw her a coin now and then. She looked at them for a moment, then told them so. Or tried to, at least. "But... I don't... I mean, I didn't... I..." She gave up, as she realised that whatever she said, they wouldn't believe her. She was sitting there and she'd gotten coins; that was the same as begging for them.

Then one of them got down beside her and looked her in the eye. Slowly what he said, combined with the movement of his hands towards her shoulders, seeped through. She had a flashback of those last years at home, when her father had hurt her so much. He'd had the same look in his eyes as the creep in front of her. The pieces connected and she knew, she just knew without anyone telling her, that he was going to do the same thing, and that he was not going to pay attention to her tears any more than her father had.

The knowledge broke something in her. When she met an older man, she gravitated towards him. They reminded her of the first few years, when the games had been fun and secret, when she'd giggled when he tickled her. But she was disgusted by these thieves, their rotting teeth, the dirt on them - even if she was just as dirty as them. She closed her eyes against the sight of the man's face just nailsbreadths from her own. It made her other senses more accute - she heard the bustle in the street, people still walking past, apparently unconcerned with her situation. Throwing a coin now and then had been fine, but getting inbetween two rugged-looking men and a small girl? No, they couldn't do that...

She also felt the hurt in her throat, which only kept increasing since she'd first felt it. That was one of the surest signs that she was becoming ill. And she felt in her hand the backpack. She'd forgotten that she had taken it earlier, in the alley, but she had had it in her hand all the time and she hadn't let go even when she had been given the blanket. Wait... The backpack... that meant Tojzek's knife was with her! She could defend herself against the leering man and his greedy companion.

With a quick plunge, she put her hand inside the backpack. Good, it was lying at the top, she wouldn't have found it in time otherwise. She was lucky, as it also easily came loose from the cloth in which it had been wrapped. As she held it, she realised that she had no idea how to use it, but it was something. She'd at least have something between her and the hurt. With a shaking hand, she brought it inbetween her and the creep, just as the other one demanded his share. She quickly stood up, pressing her back against the wall. The backpack and the blanket, which she'd still held in her arms, fell to the ground with this movement. A detached thought came from somewhere, that she'd so looked forward to some warmth tonight and now it was all ruined because the blanket was wet. A different idle thought wondered where Tojzek was. Of course she knew where he was, he'd gone to run his errand, but still she wondered why he was not there to protect her, now that she needed it.

No use thinking that, though. She suddenly found her speech and her courage again. She steadied the knife in her hand as much as she could, though she couldn't stop the slight tremor that still shook it. She'd never used metal against a different human being. "Look, I don't know any MadCaps and I didn't know I wasn't allowed to beg." She pointed at the coins that lay scattered between them. "That's all there is, I swear, I didn't pick anything up yet. Take what you want, I don't care, but I'm not going to let you hurt me, and neither is Tojz. He's gonna be back soon and then he's going to protect me and he's not going to let you do that to me again." Her voice cracked, and she suddenly realised that she was crying. The tears rolled down her cheeks unheeded, drawing lines in the dirt on her face. She'd kill herself before they did that to her again.

Tojzek Kouba
Young Sentinel
Approved Character

Human, Caltharian

« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2007, 06:42:29 PM »

As Jituska’s big hazel eyes lit up, Tojzek knew that nothing bad had happened, but then sometimes his little sister had a different view of what was bad. “Look, Tojz, he gave me this." she chatted away happily, and the boy let go of her hand in order to feel the blanket.  It was thick and good quality, and felt like it would keep out some of the wet at well.  Tojzek’s respect for the man grew and he determined to buy the man the best fruit he could possibly find. What did horses like?  Apples seemed right, and there would probably be a good choice in a street like this. A little piece of suspicion still nagged at him but he tried to push the paranoia away.  The man had been so kind, and had not asked for anything in return apart from a few pieces of fruit.  Well that was the problem really wasn’t it.  Why? In his musings Tojzek failed to spot the real danger; three rough-looking men hovering in the background, watching his sister with greedy eyes.

"He said to wrap it around myself, but I don't really see why, do you? But anyway, we're going to be warm tonight, aren't we Tojz? What did you have to do for him? He gave you money, didn't he? I saw he did! Are we going to eat?"  Jituska’s fast-spaced chatter was answered with a grin and a nod from her brother.  “Yes, ‘tuska, we’ll be warm and we’ll have something good to eat too, look what he gave me!”  Tojzek showed her the copper coins nestling like tiny jewels in his pale hand.  “And he only wants some fruit for his horse.”  The boy did not share his worry with her, she would only dismiss it as stupid anyway.  She glanced towards the man in black, now talking to the kind horseman.  "Go on, go run your errand, I will wait for you here." He nodded once more, he’d better be go and be back before the man left, otherwise they could be searching for him for hours.

“Ok ‘tuska, don’t stray far and be careful.”  The little girl probably didn’t need to be told, but it made Tojzek feel better for saying it.  Leaving her alone was not something he liked very much, but he would not be gone long and what could happen to her on a busy street like this?  Tucking a loose strand of hair gently behind her ear, he turned to go and walked right past the three men he had missed before.

Not even three dashes away from where his sister was gaining a few coins, Tojzek found what he had been looking for.   A practical, rough-looking cart stood at one side of the street, horse dozing patiently in the bright sunlight.  The make-shift stall was loaded with local fruit, nothing exotic but fresh and fairly good quality.  The seller watched Tojzek as he came closer, or rather took one look at his dirty, torn clothing and watched the boy’s hands instead.  Feeling a little put off, but not willing to find another stall, Tojzek purchased severn big, round apples, carefully picking out ones without holes or bruises.  Handing over a copperbard for the items, he took one out of the paper bag and began to munch hungrily on its tart firm flesh as he made his way back.  An errand completed, breakfast for them both, and a few copper bards still in his pocket.  Not a bad start to the day.

Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2007, 10:05:40 PM »

Altario felt a dagger pierce his heart, with the words that the man in black had said.  The faces of Riz and Nayriss flashed across his memory.  Anger stirred in his heart.  What did this man know of them?  His eyes misted over.

No, there had to be something more to this.  It was more covering the truth with lies.  Too many ears here?  Riz was right; there was something here, something below the surface.  What?  And his part?

He forced a smile, weak though he knew it must be.  "Fine, my friend.  They are both just fine.  As for the poor... well, everyone needs a helping hand at some time in their-"  He glanced back at the girl out of reflex, and saw that she was engaged in conversation.  Something did not look right about it. 

His face turned back to Commander Scar, and a knowing gaze and a nod of his head in the girls direction was all he needed to show a fellow warrior.  The commander would know.  Altario turned horse about, planning to make his way through the throng of people to get back to the girl.  He could feel the hairs on the back of his neck beginning to rise.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 10:10:12 PM by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat

My Character can be viewed @Angelina Jolie's house.  But knock first, in case I'm in my underwear.
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2007, 01:27:31 AM »

Roget was startled when the girl pulled a knife out and pointed it at him. He quickly stood up and backed a ped away as he watched the girl slowly crawl up the wall, her back pressed tightly against it. Jakal saw the knife as well and swore, but then he saw the knife wavering in the girls hand.

He laughed; a mean cruel laugh. "Hey Roget, little girlie has a knife, but she donch know how to use one." He brandished his own and with speed and dexterity he swept it around in large circles and then small ones; he would thrust the blade forward, like a snake attacking its victim and then pull back and ever so slowly circle the shiny blade, much like a cobra's head would waver before it would strike.

Roget's fear of the knife the girl carried and pointed at him melted away and raw anger replaced it.

Finally with a quivering voice she spoke."Look, I don't know any MadCaps and I didn't know I wasn't allowed to beg." She pointed at the coins that lay scattered between them. "That's all there is, I swear, I didn't pick anything up yet. Take what you want, I don't care, but I'm not going to let you hurt me, and neither is Tojz. He's gonna be back soon and then he's going to protect me and he's not going to let you do that to me again."

"Everyone knows the MadCaps! We rule the city and we don't like strangers," Jakal said as he picked up the few coins out of the slush, keeping a wary eye on the girls knife. She may not know how to use it properly, but you could always get lucky just stabbing it and Jakal did not want the girl to get lucky.

"Less'n they be nice," Roget added. "You be nice girlie. I like you. donch want to hurt you," he said as he closed in on her.

"Tojz? Ah, your boyfriend, perhaps?" Asked Jakal. "He is going to rescue you," He laughed. "Roget, girlie has a boyfriend and is going to rescue her from us so that we cannot do what you have done already," Jakal said, wondering if the girl was right in the head. "Don't ya worry your little head about him, we will give him a nice welcome too," he added.

Roget, halted his advance upon the girl. He looked stupified at Jakal. "I no do anything to girlie, Jakal...yet."

"Perhaps she be a mind reader, Roget." Jakal said laughing.

Roget took a step back. "She be a what?" he asked looking at the girl suspiciously.

"A mind reader," Jakal said. "She knows what you are thinking," he explained. Jakal knew there were no such people, but he could not help but have fun at his freinds expense.

Roget's heavy brows furrowed as he thought about what Jakal told him and then he laughed. "You funn'in me, Jakal. Only Roget knows what Roget's thinking." Then very fast for a man his size he pinned the girls knife arm against the wall, but not before she nicked him first.  He howled and then one massive hand was around her wrist and the other was heading for her neck when a sharp whistle snapped both Roget's and Jakal's head around.

They looked to where Taloon should have been standing, but he was not there. Jakal scanned the crowd and then saw Taloon weaving his way through the crowd trying to stay hidden. Jakal and him, locked eyes for just a moment, but it was enough.

Jakal turned and looked at the man on the horse advancing upon them and right besides him was Commander Scar. Jakal swore under his breath; he completely forgot about those two and besides what would they want with a scrawny girl and her boyfriend anyway?

"Roget, trouble. Scar!" Jakal said.

Roget's face turned chalky white when he heard the name, Scar. He looked at Jakal with fear in his eyes.
"Scar, bad man. Scar hurt Roget. Hurt friends. Hurt MadCaps."

"Scar coming this way, pick up girl and...run!" Jakal ordered.

Roget tried to scoop the girl in his arms.

***********************************************************************************

Taloon had been slightly watching what was going on between the girl and his companions while keeping an eye out for the boy and one eye on the stranger upon the horse and the Commander.  Out of one corner of his eye he saw the boy coming back with an half eaten apple in his hand and a pleased expression on his face. Taloon was about to intercept the boy, when he saw the man on the horse heading toward his companions. What in Coor's name, did he want? Taloon wondered. It did not matter anyway, for the Commander had joined him. Taloon had several decisions to make.

He quickly gave the whistle of danger and then began weaving through the crowd, hiding himself amongst them; a trick he was taught and was very exceptional at, as he made a round about way to intercept the boy and try to figure out a way to slow down the stranger and the Commander.

A small cart with fruits and vegetables was being slowly pulled down the street by a donkey. Its owner hawking its wares from the back.  The stranger and the Commander were parting the street as they advanced upon his companions when Taloon stepped out from among the crowd just enough to stick the donkey with his knife in its rear haunches.

The donkey jumped into the air, braying loudly and dumping his owner along with the carts cargo all over the street.  The owner, a old man fell face first into the dirty cold slush of mud and snow.  The donkey continued to bray and buck all over the street; scattering fruit and veggies as well as people all over the street. The braying of the donkey started other donkey's and even placid horses to bray and neigh and as the runaway donkey and cart came near another stall, its donkey or horse would shy and try and run away; dragging its cart and owner's goods along with them.

Soon the street was mass chaos. Taloon smiled and melted back into the crowd and finding the boy, who had been a bit startled when everything happened sidled up to him. Taloon drew his knife and jabbed it into the boys ribs; not enough to break the skin, but enough to let the boy he meant buisness. "Be quiet and follow me or else your girlfriend will have a nasty accident, understand?" Taloon asked in a low voice.

When all of the ruckus started Jakal turned back and smiled. "That should hold you off Scar," he mumbled. He looked at Roget who was having a problem with the girl. She was actually fighting him. "Roget knock her out and lets get out of here!" Jakal said loudly.

Roget nodded and swung a massive fist at the side of the girls head, hoping to knock her out.

***********************************************************************************

Damien saw Altario's eyes glower at him and then understanding.  "Fine, my friend.  They are both just fine.  As for the poor... well, everyone needs a helping hand at some time in their-"

"I am glad for them. And yes, the poor we will always have..."  Damien stopped talking and saw the nod of Altario's head. He followed the nod and saw the girl whom Altario had given his blanket to and he also saw danger. MadCaps!

Altario had turned his horse around and was heading back toward the girl. Damien followed besides him, his long legs keeping pace with the horse as it walked steadily toward the girl.

Suddenly Damien heard a whistle. He snapped his head around looking for its owner. He had heard that whistle many a time before. Those two who were by the girl had a lookout. Damien's black agate eyes scanned the crowd and could barely see a body with a light brown haired head attached to it weaving and disappearing among the crowd. "Altario, quickly head for the girl. She is in danger," Damien yelled as he took off in a dead run toward the last spot where he had seen the elusive lookout.

The crowd parted as he ran their way, but suddenly the braying of a donkey and its antics filled the air and the street. When the owner of the braying donkey fell face first in the slush, the crowd roared with laughter as the old man came up sputtering oaths and slush from his mouth.  The donkey along with its hapless cart and cargo was splayed all over the street and Damien's way was blocked as people shoved others out of their way to avoid being trampled themselves.  Soon other animals and their carts and cargo along with their screaming owners joined the fray.

Damien swore. He lost his quarry.

Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2007, 02:12:49 AM »

Altario heard the commander's call that the girl was in danger, then watched as the man broke away from him and went into the crowd, which at this time was in chaos, as a donkey and cart had begun to run amok.  Altario cursed.  He looked at the girl again, and thought he spotted a knife being displayed.  She was in danger, that much was evident.  He tried to force Horse through the crowd, but it was becoming more difficult by the blink. 

Frustrated, Altario jumped off his mount.  If he tried to get there on Horse, he would end up trampling people.  He dropped the reins and moved in and out the crowd, gripping his scabbard; sword safely within.  He kept lifting himself onto tip toes, straining to see over the heads of the people, trying to keep the girl in his sight, which was becoming more and more difficult with the confusion in the streets. 

Finally, he stopped.  His head snapped one way, then the other.  He was sure this was the spot he saw them, but the girl and the other's were no where in sight.  He cursed again,.

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat

Jituska Kouba
Hungry Nymphet
Approved Character

Human, Caltharian

« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2007, 04:17:55 AM »

Jituska lost all ability of speech to the fear as one of the men brandished a knife of his own - much more skilfully than the pathetic thing she was holding in her hand. There was so much she could have answered him - That everyone who was actually from Voldar knew the MadCaps, but she wasn't. That Tojzek was her brother, not her boyfriend. That she wasn't stupid, she could read minds only so far as that she could read the expressions on their faces.

Then the stupidest of the two men moved. She only had time to move the hand that held the knife. Somehow she felt it connect, which made her satisfied for about one second. When her hand was pinned against the wall, however, the satisfaction quickly evaporated. Oh no, oh no, oh no. It was all she could think; Oh no, not now, not ever. She felt, more than saw him move again, closing a hand in on her throat. No no no! She didn't know why he stopped moving, she hadn't heard the whistle, so immersed was she in the thought that she couldn't let it happen, even as she knew that she was defenceless.

She did hear the other one order Roget to pick her up. A chance to escape? Instead of letting herself be bodily picked up, she started fighting with all her strength. Which was admittedly not much, compared to the big man that was trying to lift her, but it was enough to stall him. Maybe she could even dive into the crowd, if he ever let go of her wrist for a moment. He was hurting her there, but she was too busy fighting him off to pay attention to it. Actually, by now he'd probably bruised her in places she didn't want to think about, but she didn't feel it, too intent on trying to escape. The other thing she didn't notice... Jakal's cry to knock her out.

She noticed what he was doing just at the last moment, as his fist came down. She tried to dodge. She tried her very best to be quick enough to evade the falling fist. Unfortunately, because of the position of her head at the moment the man lifted his hand, the jerk backwards caused her head to come right into the path of the fist. She felt it connect to the side of her head, and she felt her head snap backwards, she was unable to stop it. It caused her to look down for a second, where she saw the fallen blanket and backpack. Someone should pick that up. She thought. Then: I'll come back for it. Whatever thought was going to come after that escaped her. It flew up and up, like a little butterfly flapping its wings from flower to flower. She wanted to catch it, but could only watch helplessly as it flew ever higher and higher. It was a pretty sight. She lost herself in the sight of her thought flying up.

Her body became very limp very quickly, her eyes rolled back in their sockets. She never noticed how she was picked up and thrown over Roget's shoulder. She didn't wake up as he started running, away from the Commander and the stranger on his horse. Everything was dark for her, once her last thought had gone so far up that she couldn't see it anymore, but she kept looking up, hoping to see the pretty sight again.

Tojzek Kouba
Young Sentinel
Approved Character

Human, Caltharian

« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2007, 06:47:29 PM »

The fruit stall trundled slowly after Tojzek as he slipped in and out of the residents of Voldar.  A short, sharp whistle and a few extremely confusing seconds later, the peaceful street turned upside down.  First the donkey pulling the heavy cart screamed in pain, skitting forwards into another stall and sending most its delicate load rolling everywhere.  Several other equines in the street began to scatter too, reacting instinctively to the donkey’s cry for help by trying to flee.  People pushed frantically either to steal some of the bruised cargo or get away from the chaos.   Going for the former of these two options Tojzek stood for a few seconds, waiting for a gap in the crowd so that he could quickly stoop down and grab something.  It wasn’t as if he could go anywhere anyway – he had to find Jituska in this crush.

Suddenly, and seemingly from nowhere, Tojzek felt a sharp, hard, cold something pushed against his ribcage.  A knife.  His muscles tensed automatically in shock, and as the man spoke he made an effort to relax them, to seem more in control of the situation.  "Be quiet and follow me or else your girlfriend will have a nasty accident, understand?" the man ordered him.  His girlfriend?  What?  Why did this man think he had……oh, Jituska. The young boy’s fisted clenched as he tried to hold himself still - his thoughts turning towards his own knife lying uselessly in his bag.

“Who the hell are you, and what do you want with us.” he demanded clearly, not even stopping to question how the man had made the connection between him and Jituska.  Had they been watched?  Why had he not noticed? He kept his voice low too, but was unable to prevent it from trembling slightly in anger, fuelled by the thought of someone harming his sister.  The small point of the knife held him fixed to the spot; the only thing which was preventing him attempting to throttle this man until he told him where Jituska was.

Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2007, 01:50:53 AM »

Altario helplessly searched the faces of the crowd, but there was no one here he recognized; no one here that could help.  He pushed himself along further along the wall.  Suddenly he spied his bedroll on the ground, laying next to a pack.  He hurried over to them and knelt down, gathering them into his arms.  His head snapped in one direction, then another, trying to see where the girl had went, but it was of no use.

Dammit!  He stood and searched the crowd, holding the pack aloft.  "Damien!  Damien, I have found something!"  He started working his way back through the throng of people, back to where Horse stood quietly by.  He vaulted himself up into the saddle, getting an advantage of height over the crowd, but still, there was no sign of the girl or her brother.

The parallels between this unknown girl and Nayriss were startling.  Whoever she was, she was in danger, taken away from the safety of her family, even if all that was her family was her brother.  Who was here to find here, if her brother was taken as well?  As of right now, Altario would search for her.  If he searched for her, if he could find her, deliver her home safe, then in a way, it was helping Nayriss.  Maybe someone out there was searching for her and helping her.  Altario could only hope.

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat

Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2007, 02:11:35 AM »

Taloon

“Who the hell are you, and what do you want with us,”  the boy demanded.

Taloon snarled and pushed the knife in a bit deeper. "I do not like the tone of your voice boy and if you do not want to have your insides spilled all over this lovely gray mush and then my friends will have a good time with your girl whether you like it or not for you will be dead. so, if you want to see her again you had better shut up and go where I tell you to. Now move, into that alley!" Taloon ordered, pointing the boy in the direction he wanted him to go, jabbing the knife in the boys ribs to emphasize his point.

Damien

Damien's black eyes mirrored his dispostion as he not so gently shoved people out of his way as he tried to somehow see the man who had whistled.  He then heard his name and whipped his head around. Altario was yelling about he found something.  Damien did another quick scan of the crowd, who were now parting as best as they could and still avoid the fruit, and other cargo that had been spilled on the street by the donkey.

Damien headed for Altario's voice frustration rippling throughout his body.  He finally reached Altario's side. "They are gone. I am almost sure that whoever took the girl also took the boy, they are part of an underground society of thugs, thieves, whores, murderers and all sorts of scum called the MadCaps," Damien said to Altario matter of factly.

He paused, "Do you see anything up there, as you have the advantage of height?" Damien asked.

Damien did not think so or else he was sure Altario would not be just sitting on his horse but would be moving towards the girl. Damien wondered why the girl would stir up such emotion from Altario? Well, he really did not know the man so his reasons could be many or just one.

A voice cried out and Damien swivled his head toward the noise. The old man who was owner of the wayward donkey was moaning and crying next to his donkey who was lying down in the street, the broken remnants of the cart that his heels had broken scattered around him and the yoke still attached to his neck.

Damien walked over to the man who looked up at him with tears in his eyes. "My Prue! My Prudence is dead. Why? Why would someone kill my Prue?" He wailed.

Damien knelt down and examined the donkey's flank. The wound was not over large but it had gone deep and had severed a main artery and the donkey with its frantic bucking in pain just made his heart beat faster; pumping out his life's blood that much quicker, until he bled to death.  Damien reached into his purse and pulled out a silverbard and handed it to the man. "Here, this should help you purchase another," Damien said as the man stared in wonder at the coin and then back at Damien.

"Commander, you did not do this thing. Why do you give me this? I could never repay such a sum," the old man said trying to give the coin back.

Damien stood up, refusing the coin and closing his fist around the man's. "Let's just say it is one neighbor helping out another and you need not repay me. When I catch the one who killed your Prue, I will exact my price from him," Damien said with steel in his voice.

The old man swallowed hard for two reasons: one was for gratefulness and the other was that he was glad he was not the one who the Commander would be searching for.  He nodded, "Thank you Commander," He said as other merchants gathered around to help the old man.

Damien turned to go back to Altario, but found him sitting on top of his horse right behind him with a thoughtful expression on his face. "Let's go to Arth's and talk," Damien said, looking up at Altario's face."You can stay here and serach for the boy and girl but I doubt you will find them. If the MadCaps have them they have already spirited them away to their secret underground hide away. We will not find the boy and his sister today. I need to think and I need a drink, but it is your choice what you do," Damien said as began walking toward Arth's.

He did not want to give up the search anymore than he expected Altario did, but he knew it was useless to try and find them now.  What concerned Damien as he walked was why? And the viciousness of the perpetrators. He knew the leader of the MadCaps and they had an understanding. He will have to send a message to him using one of his contacts to find out where the boy and girl were, if it was the MadCaps that had abducted them. It could be someone else, but who?

Damien's stride became more determined as he walked.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]