Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1A: Anteroom  (Read 13879 times)
Rheine
New Santharian

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2005, 03:09:22 PM »

Rheine smiles at him as he helps her up, then walks over to the door after he finishes speaking. So the "quest" would start in the morning. Wonderful. They probably wouldn't be back here for at least a year, if not several. This had better be worth it.

-----
"She wants to go home, but nobody's home
It's where she lies, broken inside,
With no place to go, no place to go
To dry her eyes, broken inside."
-Nobody's Home, Avril Lavigne

Nystacea Korlsdaughter
Hedonist
Approved Character

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2005, 07:08:22 AM »

DUKE SOLEN

Solen leans his weight  against the side of the couch, willing his mind back under his control.  Now I see why they called her 'witch', he thinks.  The Duke is too intelligent by far to discount entirely the rumours, but he is inclined to believe that the woman was merely the victim of court intrigue.  Shaking his head, he wonders how wise it had been of him to partake of that moss with the woman.  It had been some time since he had used it and he was unaccustomed to having to use so much of his wit when under its mind-mazing infulence.  A solution of sorts comes to him, and he gives an order to one of the guards at the door.  The man salutes and leaves to enter the throneroom.  

While he waits, Solen crosses to the far door and issues more orders to the guards stationed outside it.  Moments later a slim, elderly woman and a younger, male servant enter with three large candelabra which the woman sets around the room, lighting them with a taper lit from the fire.  Availing himself of a stool he carried in, the younger one climbs up to light the unlit candles in the chandelier which depends from the roof, and soon the room is ablaze with light.  A cool draught comes from the open door into the corridor, but as soon as it is closed the room will begin to get uncomfortably hot.  

A slight rustling comes from behind the curtain on the left wall, confirmation of the completion of the penultimate task the Duke had set his guards.  The sound soon drops off into silence, and he hears his advisor's voice sound within the throneroom.  The servants leave, shutting the door behind them.  A rap comes from the other side of the corridor door signalling to the Duke that the guards are still there, listening and at the ready.  Solen sits in his chair, his eyes pointed toward the fire but focussing his mind on the throneroom door as the guard reenters the anteroom, holding the door ajar for Solen's next guest.

Nasty Lady

Darien Gulath
New Santharian

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2005, 08:10:22 AM »

With slow paces he entered the room, Immediately noticing the bright lights of the many candles. It hurt his eyes and for a moment he could barely see. It was his worst weakness, his bad orientation in bright lights. His eye was sufficient damaged during his youth and only gotten worse as he aged. And as he spend more and more time in the dark he was hardly used to any light. He moved forward towards the duke with self-confidence but yet showed a little confusion, As if he had been hit in the face hard just one moment ago. He sat down without the permission of the duke. Darién considered Solen not to be his leader. He was just in a better prepared situation then him, He had just as much power as this man (at least so he felt). And somehow… He had found his weakness, But Darién assumed that it was coincidently and not for any reason. And Darién would not show towards this Duke this weakness, How hard he would have to suffer for looking into these bright lights. He could barely see the Duke and he noticed the world spinning slightly. Yes… just keep quiet and your head still then there is nothing wrong… Nothing at all…
Darién would have loved to give this man an evaluation of his thoughts but he just couldn’t… see him right.
So….. What do you have in store for me? Darién leaned back, Seeming a little distant, As if he kept trying to adjust towards the lights, which he just… couldn’t.

Nystacea Korlsdaughter
Hedonist
Approved Character

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2005, 06:32:22 AM »

Duke Solen

It is just as well that Darien seats himself without invitation, as Solen stays in his chair when Gulath comes in, still staring into the depths of the fire.  It is not until the half-elf speaks that the Duke looks up to acknowledge his presence.  

"In store for you?" repeats the Duke, blinking.  "Why- Just a little chat, nothing more.  How do you like the idea of this quest?", Solen inquires.  "Are you looking forward to it?"  The Duke's face is bland as he asks that, with a somewhat far-away look in his eyes.  An observer who could not see Darien might have thought the Duke was talking to a friend, or one of his most faithful guards - even a little old lady would be more likely than a ruthless, vicious hired killer if one were to go by the relaxed, somewhat abstracted mien of the Duke.

Nasty Lady

Darien Gulath
New Santharian

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2005, 07:34:22 AM »

No,
Not without a worthy reward.

You could’ve just hired me,… Instead of sending a dozen of your men to capture me in the middle of the night at my worst possible time…

His last sentence was spit out in a angry tone towards the duke.
You could have just offered me the job instead of making me suffer for an unbearable lengthy time in those stinking jails….
Darién’s irritation grew as the image of this lengthy torture flashed fresh trough his mind. And the thought crossed his mind to kill this duke. Jump over the obstacles, smash out the candles and break this noble his neck. But he suppressed the thoughts and tried to force him back to his previous calm state. He leaned back all the way and lifted his feet upon the table sitting in a just as passive way like the duke now but staring with an deadly awareness that drained his energy as he tried to observe the figure that would be the duke.
There was a short moment of silence as Darién progressed his thoughts. He slowly rubbed his forehead for a while ( for his tingling head-ache, A result of liquor and for trying to see in a room that was not meant for him to see) And then he lifted his head back up. First of all I have certain demands. I’ve gotten myself involved in certain things of the underworld …  Being in jail has cost me not only money which “you” shall repay, but also a part of my reputation, I failed to kill my assigned targets….

So tell me Solen,… You’ve magically turned a smile on everyone’s face so far….. I am now very curious as to what it is that You could possible have to offer me?

And don’t even start with me about your gold… It has little value to me, I could make money more easy and quick then tagging along on some quest of yours.…

Darién was hoping for a satisfying answer since he did look forward towards the quest. But that was only for the simple pleasures which he had in store with the ladies, And the fact that he would be chasing a mythical sword, which he would of course claim for himself….
No he blamed the Duke now for his current position and wanted to know what he would offer to correct his mistake in treating Darién this way.

Nystacea Korlsdaughter
Hedonist
Approved Character

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2005, 06:21:22 AM »

The guards by the door look at one another, and as if by some unspoken agreement, move across the room.  One crosses to the corridor door, opening it to admit three more guards, and leaving it wide so that others can be seen waiting outside.  The other moves toward the couch so that he is nearer Darien and the Duke.  The new guards take positions around the room, ready to move on the half-elf at the first hostile motion.  The Duke ignores all this, beginning to speak before the first new guard enters the room.

"Offer you?" Says the Duke, raising one eyebrow at the man's arrogance.  "Hmm..." the Duke stands and paces the room, obviously feigning a troubled face.  "Well, I'm afraid I haven't much to give you.  There is a lovely little chamber I can have made ready for you - I think it might suit you quite well.  It is a tower chamber, situated in the middle of Marcogg - you may have seen it if you were not too busy crawling the sewers or getting so blind drunk that my men could capture you.  It stands above the jail, and - marvellous thing, really - it is made of windows all around, so it gets full sun, all day.  It's like a holiday in Strata - warm and bright.  The furniture and sanitation leave a little to be desired, that's true, but I don't think you will mind, as you will be chained down," he adds, conversationally.  "There is also a lovely viewing platform, from which you can see the whole of Marcogg.  That is not what it's for, of course - you would be surprised how many townspeople will make the climb to come and see one such as yourself chained and tortured.  Well, I do ramble on today, don't I.  How does that strike your fancy?  Or will you prefer to undertake my quest for me?"

Nasty Lady

Darien Gulath
New Santharian

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2005, 06:15:22 AM »

The guards that started walking in started to cool off his temper, His weakness made him vulnerable and strangely Darién started to feel uncomfortable and unsafe. As he sat down looking at the blurry figure’s with his head still spinning he decided to lower his hostility a tone, Because he did not knew how edgy this duke was to throw him into this “tower”.

Darién strangely had the feeling that the duke had turned the roles, And that he had to convince Solen now to even participate in the quest.
Your threats are hollow Duke, I’ve never said that I wasn’t willing to go and find your sword for a certain prize, But what makes you think that I won’t disappear as soon as you let us go on our way to perform our duties?

And what exactly are our duties? I doubt that you need us to just travel to some library to find out the location and be on our way…

Darién wanted the duke to stop his foolish threats and give him some information that was of any use.

Edited by: Darien Gulath at: 11/1/05 0:10
Nystacea Korlsdaughter
Hedonist
Approved Character

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2005, 11:36:22 AM »

I doubt that you need us to just travel to some library to find out the location and be on our way…

Pleased that the half-elf had seen some sense the Duke feels magnanimous and, turning, he bestows a charismatic smile down upon Darien.  "That is exactly what I intend you to do," he answers.  "Although 'on your way' may be a little flippant - I am not sure where the Sword lies, it might be anywhere in Caelereth by now.  No, I need skilled, hardened men and women to locate and retrieve this thing for me.  I have watched all of you for many months now, and I chose you for this task.”  The Duke pauses.  “You may think of it as a test, if you like.  If I am satisfied with your performance on this task - which I am fairly certain I shall be - I will be in a... most unique position to offer you all further employment after this quest, if you see my meaning."

Solen pauses a while to let the half-elf absorb his words.  "And," he adds casually, "as it happens, I do have something of a reward for you, should you return.  A token of my good will, with more to follow should you agree to work with me after this.  Some pretty ornaments for the properties I will bestow upon you upon your return."  With this he walks to the wall which was to Darien's left as he had entered the room - the one entirely covered with curtain - and pulls a golden rope which sweeps the curtain to one side.  

Beyond the curtain is not a wall at all.  In fact, the room extends for five more peds past where the curtain had hung, but this section is separated from the room by iron bars such as those found on a jail cell.  Behind these the room extension is bare, with the same marble walls and floors as the rest of the room but with no ornamentation.  Eight iron rings are set at evenly spaced intervals into the far wall, and from six of these lead chains, which are shackled to the ankles of six beautiful, barefooted women.  Each woman is different from the others, but is equally beautiful in her own fashion, and each is dressed in the manner of her tribe.  

In the centre stands the shortest woman of the group, an Eyelian who is one-and-a-half peds tall.  She had been sitting on the ground before the curtain was drawn back but now she stands, blinking at the light which penetrates the area behind the bars, coming from the room in which Darien and the Duke stand.  Her skin is a dark mocha in colour and her hair is a long, luxuriant mass of brownish-black wavy curls which tumble down to her elbows.  She wears a sleeveless shirt with a low collar and a short skirt which shows her legs to above the knee, both in earthy tones.  A thick gold chain with small golden coins hanging from it adorns her right wrist, and gold earrings depend from her ears, shining against her hair.  She has a tattoo of bear claws in black ink at the top of her left arm.  To her left stand two elves, both from Northern Sarvonia but so utterly different as to make a startling contrast:

The closest to the Eyelian is a Meladrhim, a grey-elf.  She is the tallest in the group at two full peds.  She has warm honey-blonde hair worn long and loose, and the sharp, angular features common to her tribe.  Grey eyes regard Darien with a reserved mien.  She is dressed in soft greyish-brown leather breeches and a low-cut, grey leather sleeveless vest which is laced together up the front allowing a slight view of her skin beneath.  She is tattooed on both forearms with grey ink in a pattern of vines which spiral up from her wrists to her elbows.

Next to her, the farthest to the left is an Ak'vath'rhim, who are known as the High Beauty tribe.  She stands at 1.8 peds and has black, long hair with a fringe and which is dyed with pink and yellow stripes, as is the fashion in her tribe.  Her two-tone gown of layers of light silks is dyed in pink and yellow, matching her hair.  Her lips are dyed pink and her light blue eyes are shaded with yellow.  She smiles flirtatiously at Darien, showing elongated canines, which might as well be called fangs.

On the right of the Eyelian woman stand three other human women.  The first is a Helcrani woman.  Dressed like a noblewoman in a green satin gown which displays her rounded figure and large breasts to best advantage, her pale skin, light brown wavy hair and large, hooded green eyes make her look most enticing to a man's eye.  Her hair is dressed in an intricate noblewoman's style.

To her right stands a slim, small woman with the white-blonde hair and yellowish skin tone which tell of her Kasumarii birth.  Her hair is cut short but this makes her look cute rather than severe or mannish.  Light silver-grey eyes look shyly over a button nose. She is dressed in form-fitting light woollen trousers and shirt, both in pure white.

The last woman is tall, nearly the height of the Meladrhim despite her human heritage.  She is a Trk'matiu Kuglim.  Her skin is sun-bronzed and she sports one long red braid with iron rings in it.  She is tall and muscular and gazes pridefully back with her hazel-brown eyes, through the bars toward Darien. She wears a blue dress with intricate maze designs embroidered on the neckline.  It is split up the sides to show her muscular legs.

“Pretty ornaments indeed, wouldn’t you agree Gulath?” The Duke smiles wickedly, observing Darien’s reaction.  “These will be yours upon your return from the quest, along with somewhere to keep them.  What do you say?”  

Nasty Lady

Darien Gulath
New Santharian

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2005, 09:08:22 AM »

For a moment Darién sits up straight trying to see the figures behind the bars more clearly, And then decides to stand up and move in closer. The surprise is written all over his face. The duke was involved in woman’s trade? Darién had seen it before in the underworld but never such fine specimen’s as these. With one eye closed he watched the ladies one by one, And slowly a smile curled on his lips. He then turned back to the duke.
Darién was confused as he had no expectations for a good reward, This surprise had blown his mind for some moments but he made sure that the duke didn’t noticed this, He kept his professional attitude and continued the negotiation.
Your offers are intriguing Solen, I will accept your offer yet I have a few more demands, A thousand pieces of gold for the travel and every opposition we face that needs to be dealt with will cost you another 100 pieces of gold each. And as I told one minute ago, I still have some unfinished business here,… Let me get rid of them before we set off… Also for the journey I would like to have my equipment back and the pouch of gold that your men stole when they captured me.

Nystacea Korlsdaughter
Hedonist
Approved Character

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2005, 11:00:22 AM »

"Stole?" queries Solen, one eyebrow raised and a slight smile on his face.  "My dear Gulath, neither your posessions nor your gold was stolen.  You were merely temporarily relieved of your belongings, as are all prisoners when they are arrested.  They are perfectly safe and are, as a matter of fact, waiting for you in your room at this very moment.

"As far as your other 'demands',"
continues the Duke, almost sneering on the word, "You will remember that I am no petty crime lord to be bargained with.  I have already arranged for a substantial sum of money to aid you in the quest - I do not plan for you to go hungry, nor even for you to live in comfort less than I, myself, would expect whilst undertaking this journey.  You are to return to me if you require more, athough that is not likely unless you need to continue your search upon another continent - an eventuality which I do not anticipate.  

"Opposition may be a part of the task, I do not expect it to be easy or obvious - if I had I would have sent the stableboy.  I will not be paying you any bounties for 'opposition'.  However you will remember that along with these women I will deliver to you a house in which to keep them.  That, and the other rewards which will come with a longer association with my house will be far greater than your rather uninspired 'one hundered pieces of gold'."
 The Duke sighs, and moves to the sideboard where he retrieves a goblet which he had earlier been drinking from.  Sipping, he regards Darien, adding as an aside:  "I would offer you a goblet but in your current mood I rather think that you would suspect it poisoned," says Solen, his lips quirking.  "No matter.  Now, to the last matter you mentioned - your unfinished business.  The quest leaves at daybreak.  You may either take care of this business yourself in what remains of this evening, or you can leave it to me.  Certain employees of mine will be able to complete the job quickly, and the reward will remain with your previous employer until you return to collect it.  I can even have a note delivered to the person in question if you would like.

"Those are your two options.  I suggest you choose the latter, as you will want to either spend the eveing resting or - well, I had thought to allow you to choose one of the women to sample tonight."
 A smile spreads over the Duke's face.  "If you would simply choose one I can have her delivered to your rooms after we have spoken.  She will wait there for you until we are finished our business here."

"Don't be so certain, curi'lyr!" comes the shouted response from the tall, red-haired human woman at the right of the group, addressed to the Duke.  "Even if you chain me up I will still rend this f'ang" - pointing to Darien -  "into dogmeat, not fit to feed my horse!"  

The Duke smiles slightly, chuckling as the woman continues to hurl insults at both men. "The Kuglim is a feisty one," he says, sipping again at his goblet.  "Shall I have her whipped?" he asks Darien, converstionally, "or would you prefer to keep her skin unmarred?"

Nasty Lady

Darien Gulath
New Santharian

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2005, 06:27:22 AM »

It was always hard to read any emotion on the assassin’s face but now his eyes glared from some dark joy. Yet doubt about a certain choice could be read from it too as he moved with his eyes towards the cage and back to Solen. His target’s had seemed so important only a while ago. And normally he would have denied any lady for a job. Business first and pleasure afterwards. The thought of letting some of his assignments get away with it was almost unbearable. It was more a matter of Darién’s own sick morale to waste them with his own hand then letting the Duke take care of it. Yet the wine and the big offer of the Duke clouded his mind, And he started wondering when it had been the last time that he had actually slept with a woman… And the lady’s attitude almost worked provoking.

"Shall I have her whipped?" “or would you prefer to keep her skin unmarred?"

The Duke asked, And Darién replied without much hesitation; I’l take her. And looked towards the lady with an playful expression on his face, Which would probably be quite scary to be put on a man who had killed more people then the hairs on his own head would count.
Darién felt like he had done something wrong, broken his own rule, He wasn’t allowed to amuse, He had jobs to do… But why? He would be gone forever, And his reputation in this one city?…. Why should he care? It was an obvious choice he said to himself. His own goals would have to wait, And this quest would only make more progress in his true purpose at the long run…

He looked at Solen again and continued;
Yes.… I would like to have my missions taken care off…(rephrasing the sentence so that he implied the Solen to get done with it). But I shall stay here tonight, Even tough I shall not rest much. This woman obviously needs some manners, So I would like her to be sent over.

A short moment he paused looking at every lady once more and then turned towards the duke. We have an agreement then…. And he gave a slight nod towards Solen as he spoke his thought.

Edited by: Darien Gulath at: 11/1/05 22:34
Nystacea Korlsdaughter
Hedonist
Approved Character

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2005, 08:05:22 AM »

"Excellent," says the Duke to Darien.  He gestures to a guard  who bows and leaves through the corridor door, only to reappear on the other side of the bars some moments later.  The Duke indicates to another guard who pulls the curtain across again, obscuring the women from sight.  

"If you would be so good as to wait in the main room while I speak to my remaining guests, I would like to address you all once more before I bid you goodnight."  Gesturing to the guards by the door, he nods to Darien, then turns away, moving toward the sideboard to refill his goblet.  The guards open the door, one on either side standing politely to attention for Darien to walk through.  The throneroom looks dimly lit in comparison on the other side.

Nasty Lady

Darien Gulath
New Santharian

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2005, 07:42:22 PM »

Darién said nothing turned and walked out, back into the ballroom.  

Nystacea Korlsdaughter
Hedonist
Approved Character

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2005, 08:11:22 AM »

The Duke walks around the room, sipping from his goblet and extinguishing many of the candles, bringing the level of light down to a normal level.  Then, putting his goblet down on the sideboard, Solen slumps into his chair with a loud exhale.  That was a tricky one, he thinks to himself.  Well, at least the challenge cleared my mind a little.  Two more still to go.  He rests his elbows on the arms of the chair, and his chin in his hand, letting his gaze be drawn into the fire, thinking ahead.

Nasty Lady

Nystacea Korlsdaughter
Hedonist
Approved Character

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2005, 11:28:22 AM »

Nystacea looks around herself as she steps into the room, briefly wondering what the drapery on the left hand wall could be covering before her attention is fully taken by the Duke. Handsome, yes, but… Fear traces icy fingers down her spine. There’s something… Rheine was right.   Her thoughts are broken as the Duke speaks.

“Nystacea Korlsdaughter,”
greets the Duke, standing and smiling superciliously as her face shows surprise. “Yes, I know your family name. I know your family,” he says. The Duke’s smirk causes her stomach to tie itself into knots. Etherus, thinks Nasty. Not my family. Her voice comes out a little shakily. “What- what do you mean, you know my family?” Her bravado slowly returns. “I have no family,” she lies. “They all died years ago.” Nystacea raises her chin defiantly, daring the Duke to disagree.

Nasty Lady

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 30, 2021, 06:05:42 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]