Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chapter 1B: The Ball of Pure Souls and Tormented Minds  (Read 32448 times)
ratdragon
New Santharian

« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2005, 10:11:22 PM »

Ratdragon wondered why the elfess was so excited over an open wine bottle, but soon found out as she performed her water trick. Watching interestedly as the door was unlocked and the guards were dispatched, the elf decided that maybe it would get more interesting soon after all.

Standing up, Ratdragon slowly drained his wine bottle, then quickly swinging the bottom of the bottle down on the crate he had been sitting on, shattering it. This formed a crude weapon to be used against any guards they might come against. Spinning the jagged wine bottle through his fingers, Ratdragon took two more bottles and tucked them into his belt.

Satisfied, the elf strode too the door, wondering why the others had stopped. Turning to the elfess, Ratdragon inclined his head toward her.

Thank you for that lovely display, I never knew wine could do that. Lets just hope that there are plenty of guards outside, I was getting bored.

Striding outside to where the others were, Ratdragon stopped and looked at the dark-haired woman they were looking at, wondering what to do next.

Tomás Valentín
Lord Valentín
Approved Character

Human, Helcrani

« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2005, 12:58:22 AM »

Duchess Sera

Sera walked along the hallway as she considered the events that had led to this moment in her life. The ball had become tedious with nobles dancing across the floor as they considered political alliances. She could not be with the man she truly loved, at least not in public, and it was becoming ever more difficult to smile at those that she knew would revolt at the first sign of weakness. Politics had always been the domain of her husband, but with his death she was forced to take the mantle of government upon herself. She believed that her rule was just yet fair, but there were those that could not accept her simply because of her gender. It was helpful to have Tasul'i as a figurehead, but even she was not able to predict his moods. During his youth, he had been a joyous child with a grin that lit the night sky, but the death of his father corrupted him absolutely. His last acts of insanity had been the arrests of innocent strangers, guests that were merely enjoying the ball before being cast into a guarded room. She did not mind Aurelian's absence as she could never truly understand his speech, but it would be a hassle to explain to Coren the reason his nephew had been imprisoned. It was not in her nature to tolerate such rash imprisonments within her duchy, but she did not want to anger her son.

She had slipped out of the ballroom as soon as his attention was held by a beautiful maiden and was now approaching the storeroom where the strangers had been imprisoned. It made her uneasy to think of elves being treated in such a manner as she did not wish for any hardships with that fair race. As she neared the door, she noticed that it stood ajar with the guards lying unconscious next to it. A dashingly handsome man walked out of the storeroom and approached the door of the adjacent room. His attention seemed to be so focused that he did not notice her presence at the far end of the hall, and she silently walked up behind him. She did not worry that he would harm him as she knew him to be Lord Valentin, an honorable man that would not harm any woman without reason. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw the remainder of the imprisoned guest emerge from the storeroom, including Aurelian though he was oddly silent at the moment. She spoke in a melodious voice as Tomas turned to face her, and it was clear that her words were intended for the other guests in addition to Tomas.

"I apologize for the actions of my son, and for those of my other associates. You have been wrongly imprisoned, and it was my intent to free you though I now realize that my help is not required. I am truly sorry and would like to compensate you for such an insult to your integrity. Please follow me, and we will discuss matters in the anteroom of my sleeping quarters."

She stepped to the wall across the hallway from where Tomas was standing. With one hand, she pressed a stone and a slab of stone slid to one side to reveal a secret passage within the wall. It stood slightly less than two peds in height, and it was evident that the elves would have to duck to enter it. Standing to one side of the doorway, she motioned the guests forward and spoke once more.

"Using this passageway, Tasul'i will not be aware of our meeting together, though he may learn of it at a later date. I regret the necessity of forcing honorable guests to walk within such a dark passage, but I did not bring a candle."

Gararion
Wind Waker
Approved Character

Elf, Ylfferhim

« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2005, 12:55:22 AM »

Gararion remained silent as the Duchess spoke.  Her words may have been true for most of her guest, though Gararion knew that she must not have known about the reason why he was with these people.  although it was not truly his fault, as the mage had warned those who he had left his staff with, he knew he could have prevented such infliction of pain upon the guard who fell victim to the protective spell of his staff.  With this thought in his mind, Gararon moved to the side of the storeroom doorway, allowing those who remained within room to pass.

As the remaining people left the room, Gararion looked back to the door where Tomas had attempted to rush off to mere moments before.  The mage's eyes then moved to Emalaya, wondering if the female or Tomas would willingly leave what they had worked so hard to do alone.  Would they follow the Sera's plea, leaving the sounds they had heard from within the room before them left unchecked?  Gararion remained silent and waited for his answer...

Edited by: Gararion  at: 10/3/05 19:08

Tomás Valentín
Lord Valentín
Approved Character

Human, Helcrani

« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2005, 04:18:22 AM »

Tomas stood next to the door as he listened to the Duchess. His worry over Lady Fenyn had not subsided, and he could hear the conversation with her father through the door. Duke Tyithelis seemed to have calmed quite a bit, or at least he now spoke in tones that were barely audible outside of the room. He did not trust any man that could speak in such a harsh manner to a maiden, and his hands longed to wield Bane. Some men could only learn respect once their lives were in danger, and he could feel his passion building within him as he considered the fate of the fair Fenyn.

He believed the sincerity of the Duchess when she apologized for the actions of her son and the other nobles. In truth, he pitied anyone that was forced to watch the mind of a loved one slowly deteriorate. It was not surprising to learn of the secret passage, as the home of his father had contained many of those, each of which Tomas had explored during his youth. Most often such passages were built as escape routes for the nobles, in case they ever faced an assassin within their own chambers. His curiosity was immediately piqued by her offer to discuss matters, and he could only wonder about what such matters could be. Still, he could not leave Fenyn in her current situation. He spoke in a passionate voice as he responded to the Duchess.

"I fear that I cannot accept your offer as long as Lady Fenyn suffers in such a manner. I appreciate your apology, but I will not be satisfied until Duke Tyithelis learns proper respect for the fairer sex."

Tomas turned away from the Duchess as he shoved the door open, surprising both Tyithelis and Fenyn. The Lady Fenyn was seated in a wooden chair as her father paced back and forth on the stone floor. The comparison of himself to the Duke did not occur to Tomas, even though he had been pacing mere moments ago. It was impossible for him to even consider that he could have something in common with the Duke. Tyithelis stood in the middle of the room with his fists closed at his side and rage clearly burning in his eyes. Upon seeing the terror in the beautiful eyes of Fenyn, Tomas stepped into the room, a victim of his own passion. Lightning seemed to pass between the two men as they glared at each other across the room.

Gararion
Wind Waker
Approved Character

Elf, Ylfferhim

« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2005, 03:36:22 AM »

The answer that Gararion sought came soon enough, though wether it was the answer that he had hopped for was yet to be determined.  As Tomas burst through the door, Gararion moved from the spot he had claimed.  The mage stood in the doorway,blocking further entrance within the room by the others, examining the situation before him.

Tomas and the Duke eyes were locked together, the fury and compassion in each’s eyes unforgettable.  Gararion it would only be a matter of time before the hatred and anger held within each of their souls would be allowed to burst free in a display passion only seen in battle.  This Gararion knew would come, though he hopes he could play a role in preventing it...

Edited by: Gararion  at: 10/4/05 21:32

Tomás Valentín
Lord Valentín
Approved Character

Human, Helcrani

« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2005, 02:02:22 AM »

Duke Tyithelis

"You will marry Tasul'i, regardless of his mental condition. His health does not concern me as long as he is capable of producing a suitable heir for our duchies.”

Tyithelis paused for a moment as he looked into the eyes of his daughter. It was her duty to obey him, as it would soon be her duty to obey her husband. He could see her fear of his ire burning in her eyes, and he knew that it was through such fear that respect was obtained. His voice rose in volume as she opened her mouth to speak.

"Do not plague me with your notions of marrying the man you love! Emotions will eternally be the folly of women!"

He resumed his pacing only to pause once again as the door was slammed against the wall. His recently attained calm was immediately shattered as rage pervaded every fiber of his being. His storm-gray eyes glared at the intruder that dared to interrupt his private session with his daughter, and he stalked toward the door with his fists clenched at his side. Stopping only a ped away from Tomas, he began to shout in a voice that carried beyond the room and into the hallway. Though the men were of an equal height, Tomas clearly outweighed the Duke with muscles toned from years of training. It never occurred to the Duke that it would be wise for him to call the guards, as his training had never been tested in a fight.

"You have no right to interrupt! The matters between my daughter and I are family business and do not concern a stranger such as yourself. I ask that you leave now. Nay! I demand that you leave at once! Enjoy the ball if you so desire, but do not think to interfere in the affairs of your betters."

Emalaya
Peacemaker
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2005, 09:33:22 AM »

When Emalaya finally exited the storeroom, found the Duchess standing off to the side, gravely apologizing for the occurance of the temporary captivity. She could sense the woman's uneasiness and fear, and could not help but have pity on the beautiful creature. Azure hues studied the woman for a mere moment before outstretching her arm to lay a small delicate hand upon the woman's own, sending a wave of comfort and solace to calm the tortured nerves.

"I am grateful m'lady, yet before such matters are attended to, there is yet another who needs assistance. The one who imprisoned me was not your son, yet poses an equal danger to the marriage which should not truely come to pass. I can tell you fear your son but take heart in what we are going to do. Hopefully, not another will become victim to his madness."

A resounding slam then echoed through the hallway as Tomas threw open the door to the room where the Duke and the bride to be were enclosed. The Duke was not so deeply immersed in his yelling match at this time, yet was greatly unnerved by the interruption and his voice was once again ringing in her ears. Her anger flared within her for the young girl, yet it did not surface and she retained her calm demeanor, striding gracefully to stand next to the elder elf in the doorway, watching Tomas and the Duke intently.

"You have no right to interrupt! The matters between my daughter and I are family business and do not concern a stranger such as yourself. I ask that you leave now. Nay! I demand that you leave at once! Enjoy the ball if you so desire, but do not think to interfere in the affairs of your betters."

She glanced behind the Duke at his daughter, trembling in the wooden chair in which she was seated. He had no right to treat her in such a manner, daughter or not. She was a human being and had the right to make choices of her own, especially when the dealt with things of the heart. A woman is a delicate creature in many respects, but they also have their weaknesses. Yet their strengths in the right matters make them demand the upmost respect, even from their male counterparts - especially from their male counterparts.

Her eyes trailed back to the Duke once again who was still infuriated with Tomas for entering the room uninvited, though it was mildly amusing to see his face so red. Straightening her back and squareing her shoulders, she shoved the older elf to the side just enough to allow her passage. She stepped inside the room and strode uncaring to the young bride, standing behind the chair with her hands laying gently on the girls shoulders, once again sending a gentle wave of comfort and solace to calm the terrified creature as she sat their trembling.

"True peace of mind comes only when my heart and actions are aligned..." - Robert Newcomb

Edited by: Kalina Merenwen at: 10/6/05 13:52
ratdragon
New Santharian

« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2005, 05:32:22 AM »

Ratdragon listened as the dark-haired woman spoke. She seemed sincere, and Ratdragon would have forgiven her. But of course, she had never had anything to do with wronging him. It was Yijeni that was responsible for locking him up, not this woman, T'asuli, or the man shouting at his daughter. He was about to walk into the secret passage the woman opened up, but his interest shifted as Tomas burst open a door.

Watching as the two men faced each other, Ratdragon prepared himself for a good show. He would not help Tomas if it came to a fight, for the elf did not give his loyalty easily, and Tomas clearly wanted to settle this himself any way. Unless the man really needed help, the elf would stay out of this. The elfess entered the room also, placing her hands on a girl's shoulders. This girl resembled Yijeni, and was obviously the one being shouted at. This ought to be good.

Tomás Valentín
Lord Valentín
Approved Character

Human, Helcrani

« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2005, 06:06:22 AM »

Duchess Sera

Sera watched in amazement as three elves exited the store room in addition to Lord Valentin and Aurelian. It was uncommon for so many elves to gather at one ball, and she was honored that they viewed the marriage of her son as an important occasion. Her azure gaze passed over the two male elves, dimly recognizing them from the ball, and came to rest upon the beautiful elfess as she approached. Her eyes widened in surprise as Emalaya placed a delicate hand over one of her own and spoke in a melodious voice.

“I am grateful m'lady, yet before such matters are attended to, there is yet another who needs assistance. The one who imprisoned me was not your son, yet poses an equal danger to the marriage which should not truely come to pass. I can tell you fear your son but take heart in what we are going to do. Hopefully, not another will become victim to his madness."

Thoughts began to whirl through her mind as she tried to discern who could possibly need assistance. She knew that her son had only imprisoned these five adventurers, and that there wasn’t anyone else within the castle that was being held against their will. Only the criminals were imprisoned, and surely the elfess did not intend to free thieves, murderers, and rapists. Her soft lips parted with the intent of questioning the elfess about these matters when a door slamming against the wall startled her, and she forgot to speak before Emalaya turned away.

She turned only to see the elfess shove aside the ancient elf, though it was a gentle shove, and enter the room as Tomas and Duke Tyithelis glared at each other across the room. Her hand flew to her mouth in shock as she heard the Duke’s vile words, not believing that a noble could say such things. Her hand once again rested at her side as she walked up to the doorway with her determination clearly showing in her eyes. This was her home and her duchy, and she would not allow anyone, not even a Duke, to insult her guests. She paused next to the elderly elf and spoke to him in a soft yet commanding voice.

“If you will excuse me, sir elf, there are some matters to attend to in the next room.”

She gently shoved aside the elf to allow herself room to enter and walked into the room until she was standing next to Tomas. She placed a hand on his forearm and smiled at him as she looked into his hazel eyes.

“Surely there’s no need to fight. I’m sure Tyithelis was merely addressing his daughter and got carried away due to his emotions. Isn’t that right Tyithelis?”

The way she addressed him made it evident that the lack of his title before his name was not an accident.

Tomás Valentín
Lord Valentín
Approved Character

Human, Helcrani

« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2005, 06:51:22 AM »

Tomas continued to glare at the Duke as the insults flowed from his mouth. He would throughly enjoy teaching Tyithelis proper manners and the proper way to treat women. His hands clenched into fists and he was about to stride forward to do physical harm to the Duke, but he paused as the beautiful elfess entered the room. He watched silently as Emalaya walked across the floor, wondering what her intentions were. A slight smile crossed his face as the elfess stood behind the chair Fenyn was sitting in and gently placed her hands on the girl’s shoulders. He would prefer to comfort Lady Fenyn himself, but he knew that he must first protect her from the rantings of her father. It would not help her if he went to her now and allowed Tyithelis to strike him from behind. He did not doubt for a moment that the Duke had no honor and would do anything to win a fight.

His thoughts returned to the Duke, and he decided that it would be best if the Duke knew the fears of his daughter. Even if the Duke did not care, someone had to voice the opinions that she was too terrified to say for herself. His voice started off soft and was nearly a whisper, but it rose in volume as his passion pervaded his every word.

“Your own daughter is terrified of you! Who she will marry is her decision, and you should honor her wishes to marry the man that she loves. The fact that you would yell at any woman in such a manner reveals you to be inferior to anyone within this room or within the castle itself. Perhaps she is not aware of her destined husband at this moment, but time reveals all things.”

He stepped forward, intending to cause serious bodily harm to the Duke, when he felt a delicate hand close over his forearm. He had been so intent upon the Duke that he had not noticed when the Duchess entered the room, and he stopped and waited for her to speak, knowing that she did not wish for a fight within her castle. It was always wise to respect the wishes of women, and it was not worth it to harm Tyithelis. He also worried about Fenyn’s thoughts of him if he were to lay a hand on her father. She may fear him, but he was still the man that had raised her.

“Surely there’s no need to fight. I’m sure Tyithelis was merely addressing his daughter and got carried away due to his emotions. Isn’t that right Tyithelis?”

He could not help but grin as the Duchess spoke, clearly hearing the insult every time she omitted the Duke’s title. It would satisfy him if he could separate Fenyn from her father, whether or not there was a fight was of no concern to him.

Tomás Valentín
Lord Valentín
Approved Character

Human, Helcrani

« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2005, 06:20:22 AM »

Duke Tyithelis

“Your own daughter is terrified of you! Who she will marry is her decision, and you should honor her wishes to marry the man that she loves. The fact that you would yell at any woman in such a manner reveals you to be inferior to anyone within this room or within the castle itself. Perhaps she is not aware of her destined husband at this moment, but time reveals all things.”

His face flushed a deep crimson as Tomas accused him of not knowing the feelings of his own daughter. The only way to truly know someone was to control their every action, and he dearly loved his daugther even though she had many flaws.

The omission of his title was an insult that he could not bear! He was not foolish enough to strike a woman in front of several men that would surely defend her. He knew of more insidious ways to harm someone, and he would not forget the insults rendered to him this day. His vengeance may not be slow but it would be just.

Without saying another word, he walked past Tomas and Duchess Sera, refusing to look at either of them. He did not even want to see their putrid faces right now. Upon seeing the elf blocking the doorway, he stopped and his expression was one that could only be described as a sneer. His voice hissed like that of a serpent as he addressed Gararion.

"Do not think to impede me, elf! You may be taller, but men have always been the dominant race."

His hand rose in front of him as he pushed forward in an attempt to shove Gararion out of his way.

Edited by: Tomas Valentin at: 10/6/05 22:24
Gararion
Wind Waker
Approved Character

Elf, Ylfferhim

« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2005, 11:11:22 AM »

Gararion remained silent, watching as the events unfolded before him, not paying attention to those he had blocked entrance within the room.  It wasn’t long though till those people made their presence known.

Emalaya was the first to enter, stretching an arm past the mage as she used it to shove aside the mage, which she found offered little resistance.  Gararion, now leaving a slight space between him and the doorway, watched as Emalaya moved behind the female.  A silent sigh escaped the mage, glad that she wasn’t going to confront the Duke himself either, though this moment of relief was cut short as another pressed past him, the Duchess politely moving the mage even further out of the way.

Gararion grew tired of being shoved aside; he’s patience growing thin of the treatment.  Luckily though, the Duchess seemed to attempt to calm the situation, though her actions seemed to change as she continued.  In mere moments of her entrance and hidden insults, the Duchess had made the situation even worse, the Duke in such a state of mind that he was rendered speechless.  Once again, another attempted to make their way past the mage as he blocked the doorway, though this time Gararion was prepared.

Seeing the Duke outstretched his arm in a gesture of shoving him aside, Gararion waited till the Dukes weight was shifting into the force that would become his shove, stepping outside the room as if he was never truly standing within the doorway.  Gararion stood outside, motionless and featureless, as he watched the momentum of the Duke carry him over the threshold of the room.

Tomás Valentín
Lord Valentín
Approved Character

Human, Helcrani

« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2005, 01:51:22 AM »

Duke Tyithelis

Tyithelis shoved forward with his arm, knowing that any elf could not match the brute force of a human. His upper lip twisted into a sneer as he imagined the elf lying on the floor, begging Tyithelis not to kick him. Of course, the Duke would never show mercy as that was a sure sign of weakness, and he would throughly enjoy inflicting pain upon the elf.

He stumbled forward as Gararion gracefully moved out of the way, and only his sense of balance prevented him from falling. His stormy eyes came to rest upon the elf, glaring as his anger increased. His fists clenched at his side, and every fiber of his being wanted to strike the elf for his insolence.

"Thank you for moving, elf. It is always appreciated when one of your kind knows his place." The sneer returned to his face as he said the word "place".

His restraint of himself seemed to have snapped, as a rage consumed his mind. Raising one fist, he swung with every mut of strength that his arm possessed, aiming for the elf's chest as Gararion was much taller than Tyithelis.

Gararion
Wind Waker
Approved Character

Elf, Ylfferhim

« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2005, 12:22:22 PM »

Gararion watched silently and emotionless as Tyithelis’s momentum carried him forward through the doorway.  With a little shift of weight and a few quick shuffling steps, Tyithelis was able to gain enough balance to keep him from toppling to the floor.

As Tyithelis compose himself, he turned to face Gararion, his speech ending with a blatant insult to the mage’s heritage.  He raised his fist as he finished speaking, the pink color in his hand giving way to the flood of white as he clenched his fist as tightly as he could, thrusting his fist toward Gararion’s chest.  Without his staff in hand, the mage’s own hand rose to his chest, stopping in front of it a mere nailsbreadth away from his chest.  His palm lay opened, facing out towards the incoming fist.  A mere moment before the Duke’s fist came in contact with Gararion’s open palm, the wizard spoke a single phrase in the Styrásh tongue.  

"Terquán’avásh."

The Duke’s fist made contact with the wizard’s open palm, but that’s all it did.  His fist met a thin wall of air, pushing out against the duke’s clenched fist and as hard as a wooden door.  The wizard had waited till the last moment for a reason; he wished to provide as little evidence to what he was doing as possible.  And he had succeeded.  The thin wall of air that protected both his hand and his chest from suffering the full force of the Duke’s strike was barely visible, only those who were closely paying attention would have seen the flickering of the Duke’s sleeve as the air that repelled his fist brushed past his hand.  

“Your welcome Lord.  Though I would have thought one who knows so much about others would have also known better to strike an unarmed aging elf, though it seems I have been wrong.”  The mage remained still, his open palm remaining between his chest and the duke’s clenched fist.

Knowing that the strength behind the Duke’s blow hand been soaked up, Gararion let his magical protection fade, wrapping his long elven fingers around the Duke’s clenched fist.  Pulling himself closer to the Duke, Gararion whispered in the Duke’s ear.

“Let your tension go my Lord, this is not the time nor the place for such emotions.”  

The mage’s words were silent, almost as if he hadn’t spoken them at all, as if the words he had whispered into the Duke’s ear were not words at all, but a calming breeze meant to ease the passion that the Duke held within himself at the moment.  That’s exactly what it was, a magical spell meant to calm the Duke’s soul.

Gararion took a step back, further down hall away from the view of those within the room.  His fingers uncurled about the Duke’s fist, the mage’s arm drifting back to his side.

Edited by: Gararion  at: 10/14/05 4:26

Emalaya
Peacemaker
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2005, 12:48:22 PM »

Remaining behind the girl in a definite protective stance, she stood her ground as much as she could while the situation unfolded before her. The Duke was very much on his way to possibly being assassinated tonight or in the near future, if he kept up this mentality and attitude towards both the female gender and the elven race as a whole. Her race. He had just insulted her at two angles and she did not take it kindly. Thoughts of home where she was always welcome attempted to creep into her mind, yet she quickly kept them at bay, wanting to keep her thoughts clear in case she had to act on the defense for either herself or any of the others in the room.

Not implying that any of them were helpless, but the Duke did not seem to be powerless either and could possibly take the strength of at least two of them before he was taken down.

"Thank you for moving, elf. It is always appreciated when one of your kind knows his place."

"We know our place Duke, but I fear you do not understand nor, do you know your own standing." She spat just loud enough for it to reach his ears as a soft warning, feeling ever so disgusted with his insults, in which he had no place or right to say.

"True peace of mind comes only when my heart and actions are aligned..." - Robert Newcomb

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 30, 2021, 06:05:42 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]

[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]