Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chapter 2A: Stepping out into the Dawn  (Read 16966 times)
Nystacea Korlsdaughter
Hedonist
Approved Character

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2006, 06:01:23 AM »

Farmland on their left, forest on their right.  That had been the view the whole way, these five or so hours since they left Marcogg.  Now the forest dwindles and the susurrus of waves over stone can be heard from their right, up ahead.  A rise in the road reveals the small, poor-looking but busy hamlet of Kries squatting on the banks of the vast Mashdai Resevoir.  The north-eastern side of the lake is visible on their right in the distance, but it stretches away to the edge of the disk, it seems, in the north-west ahead of them.  The noon sun scatters the lake's surface with silver coins.

Looking back at the town, one notices that while most buildings are ramshakle log-cabin affairs, one building which sits closest to them, right on the road, is new, large, and built well from whitewashed timber.  The slate roof speaks of wealth; wealth not shared by the tiny town behind it.  A sign depicting a fish-and-pan hangs above the wide, welcoming porch with its horse-tethering rail.

Nasty Lady

Kain Cristar
Divine Aspect
Approved Character

Elf, Co'orhem Kayrrhem

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2006, 05:37:23 AM »

Despite the ease of their ride, Kain felt wearied. The sun had drained him and his body was heavy in Tashyyr's great saddle. As the journey had progressed. Kain had come to respect the horse as something of great beauty. He realized that Tashyyr had the beauty of life, and of strength, flowing across his hide in waivering streams and eddies. He had decided that Tashyyr would be well taken care of, and Tashyyr seemed to have decided the same. Kain also decided that Solen would be giving him a gift that the duke may not have counted on. This horse was not leaving his side to go to that mans stables. This creature had a purpose, just as Kain did.

Aside from these thoughts, Kain mulled over the other beauty who has enhanced his short ride. He noticed that she was attracted to the prowess of Dariens body, and had decided to warn her of the man. He knew of the half elf's deeds, and though his own were of even greater depraivity, they were burdens he faced so as to end the reign of the shadow. Darien lived for only himself, and was a base creature. An envious fury burned deep within his ancient soul for some time. He tried to keep his wrathful grumbling to a minimum.

The blue sky and it's infernal sun seemed to sap all of Kain's strength away, and by the sixth hour, the mage was so weak he could not keep his head up. His breathing was ragged and his body worn, yet if any of the others even seemed about to comment, he simply glared at them. Though he had no glares for the beauty, as beauty was the only light of his eternal anguish.

As they came upon the clearing, Kain's mind also clears. His wearied body is little but a shell for his thoughts and his will is battered by the noon light, yet the sight of a place to rest and nourish himself bring a strength to his soul. The sun had begun it's journey back to the night, and he would soon be away from the full force of it's blows. He quickens Tashyyr's pace towards what seems to be a tavern, with a rail for the keeping of horse flesh, and an inviting sign. We should rest our wearied bodies at this place, and fed our lusty lips. I doubt that our quest will have this ease and comfort through its vast entireity, and it is best if we keep ourselves strong for the trials ahead. He turns to the blond, who seems to have the greatest command over the rest of the group, though he also speaks to the beauty, for it is she alone who he respects of thier entourage. He looks into her tired eyes and recalls her strange aura, he decided to speak to her of it later this night.

As he finishes speaking his words, he guides Tashyyr to the rail, and dismounts with an experianced grace. One does not live over two hundred years, learning nothing from his failures. He reaches into his saddle pack and grabs a small bag of oats. As the others go about their own tasks, Kain feeds his mount a handful of the sweet morsels, and loosens the saddle straps. The horse eats greedily, as the dappled waters dance in the light of the sun. A day of goodlyness, that seems to have forgotten what vile men traverse the land, for another's dark plans.  

You have lived a life of cruelty and atrocity, you have bathed in the blood of the innocent, you have considered every act of depravity and your corruption knows no bounds. I am the angel of justice, I am the accumulation of all of your sins. Prepare for your redemption.

-Kain Cristar, Divine Aspect

Edited by: Kain Cristar  at: 2/7/06 9:49 pm

You have lived a life of cruelty and atrocity, you have bathed in the blood of the innocent, you have considered every act of depravity and your corruption knows no bounds. I am the angel of justice, I am the accumulation of all of your sins. Prepare for your redemption.

Darien Gulath
New Santharian

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2006, 05:44:23 AM »

With the town in sight he boosted his horse to increase speed. The horse obeyed and he strode past the others towards Kain; who was still a dash or so in front of him.
He just had to get this annoyance out of his system, Next to Kain he tried to slow down and pulled the reins, yet his horse reared up nearly throwing it’s rider off, Darién was always rusty in picking up his talents for horse riding...  He couldn’t really say that horses liked him. He always treated them to harsh…He didn't caught Kain's words as he was busy strugling with the horse to get himself back in balance, and regained control over Love's blaze a few seconds later.

Kain had gotten of his horse; and Darien trotted with his brownish stallion in front of Kain, he figured that he would certainly have the mage’s attention now…
He knew that any confrontation with this man could end up badly for one of them. Darién wouldn’t show his uncomforted feeling for the man and looked him straight in the eyes. “Still looking for trouble, mage? Or was yesterday just a moment of temporary insanity you suffered from? Picking fights with me is about the stupidest thing anyone could ever do…” He said without a blink. Darien casts a shadow over the mage as he looks down upon him intimidatingly.
“Oh you are strong Mage, and proud… Yes… But how would you expect to sleep at nights when I’m around…” the sentence sounded as a thread but also indicated that Darién wasn't looking for trouble now.
He looked over at the road before them, visualising the town in front of them. He spotted an inn, the inn where they would likely have their breakfast...
He stood with his side towards Kain and had his one hand on his knife; out of Kain’s vision. He could be faster then Kain if he wanted to, yes, he was already a step ahead of him. Was this what Kain really wanted? To fight here and end their conflict right here and now? Darién had taken the softest approach he could think off against the man he so immensely hated and mistrusted.
It all came down to this moment… If Kain would be willing to cooperate and have a possible alliance then he would let this know in any kind of way, If Kain would address him hostilely, Call him a dog or something in that sense, He would not live to see the rest of the day…

Darién’s pride was at least as big as Kain’s, only the difference was that Darién had less trouble keeping it concealed… Kain’s pride could force him now to say the final words of his live…
Kain had started this and now Darién would end it. With either a alliance or a casualty amongst their group…

Death:
A punishment to some, to some a gift, and to many a favor.  
    --Seneca

Edited by: Darien Gulath at: 2/7/06 10:20 pm
Kain Cristar
Divine Aspect
Approved Character

Elf, Co'orhem Kayrrhem

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2006, 11:33:23 AM »

The ancient mage continues to attend to Tashyyr while Darien attempts to goad him. As if Kain were some child that could be talked down to! As he finnished his duities, he slowly turned and looked upon the half breed. He stared at the man for a few moments, his cold eyes speaking of contempt, and absent mindedly pat the great horse at his side.

I feel that I must commend you as to your flawless horsemanship, Darien. he begins, his expression filled with archane and esoteric wisdom Your skills as a warrior must be paramount indeed. Kain's words are above sarcasm. One taunts those who he fears, and to Kain, this man was little more than a worm. How could this man assume that he was some kind of challenger to Kain's supremacy?

I have nothing to fear from you, child. I have already told you this. You must banish your assumption that you are my foe, for you are naughtbut  a gnat in a spider's game. You have no control here, not even the power of threat and violence. He pauses and carefully glances at the hand that is kept from his vision, making it painfully obvious that a man of his experiance has seen and tried the trick before.

I am not a brute that you must bully, I am not something you can manuver, ally, or even cerebrate. You cannot assault my pride. I suggest you walk into that tavern and purchuse yourself a drink, and a cheap whore to ease the pain of your pitful existance. Kain then steps back, away from the rail to which he had tied Tashyyr. As for how I shall rest, quite well thank you. He smiles and gives a curt nod, as a king does to a servent. The motion clearly said, you may leave now.

That is not to say that Kain was foolishly arrogant. His words are peripherial. He does not even think about them. They slide across his mentality like oil on water. His focus is in one place, and one place alone. He was concentrating a small portion of his own car'all into a concentrated mass of wind Ounia at the tip of his right fore and index finger.  By the time he had finished speaking, he had quite a suprise waiting for Darien. The man was less then three peds away. His mind screamed the words "High winds follow my lead!" Fist of thunder was prepared.

Darien Gulath
New Santharian

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2006, 11:16:23 PM »

Darién grimaced upon hearing Kain’s words. Everyone who had ever talked down on Darién had lived to regret their words. But this was different. Somehow Kain knew of him and his reputation, yet still showed no sign of fear. Who was this man who thought to know him inside out?  Even if the mage knew of his name, his reputation; and maybe even seen one or two wanted posters of him, he was still ignorant to think that this was all there was to know about him...
If his opponent wasn’t a mage then he would probably have laughed loudly about the ignorant man’s comment. Darién released the grip on his knife expecting no combat anymore at that moment. Darién drove Love’s Blaze onwards and halted again, blocking the way for the mage. Darién knew he was getting awfully dangerous to a combat he did not want but wasn’t quite finished with Kain just yet.

Darién overlooked Kain and for a moment his facial expression only depicted a slight amusement but still his eyes shot fire. He was about to say something but swallowed the words. Darién could throw in a witty response but it wouldn’t achieve its goal anyways. This man wasn’t easily intimidated if at all and thus it would only seem as if Darién would be picking a fight; a fight which he wasn’t looking for that particular moment. By stopping in front of Kain he only showed his discontent and amusement for the ignorance of this mage. As he looked Kain from top to tow one moment long he kicked Love Blaze again with his heels and strode of a few peds further towards the stables.

Of course there would exist more like him who where completely immune to intimidation. This man possible had powers unmatched on his field of expertise. It was intriguing, how many had this man killed? And how old was he?
As Darién parked his horse in the stables he suddenly lost interest in Kain, instead his mind went out for some breakfast.
He grabbed his bag with values from the horse and threw it over his shoulder. He then continued to walk towards the inn’s door.
He disappeared out of sight from the others and made his way towards the bar. “One ale and some breakfast please”. He asked while throwing exactly enough coins before the barman’s nose. Then sat down on one of the bar stools taking a detailed look around.

Death:
A punishment to some, to some a gift, and to many a favor.  
    --Seneca

Nystacea Korlsdaughter
Hedonist
Approved Character

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2006, 10:25:23 AM »

As Nystacea crests the rise, the first thing which catches her attention is the huge, sparkling lake in the background.  Quickly dismissing it she sees the small, ramshackle town with its much less ramshackle, rather inviting-looking inn.  She smiles as she sees it, anticipating a hot meal, and possibly a nice glass of ale or two...  She looks over the tavern as she rides down the hill.  Small thoughts about how a little village could be so poor near a huge city like Marcogg, and about who really owns the tavern which so obviously gives none of its wealth to the vilage flit through her head, but she pushes them aside.  She knows what Solen is.

Nasty reins in Kehanna as she reaches the tavern, moments behind the mage.  She had taken little notice of the distance between herself and him as they rode, having taken Xaod's advice and tried to forget about it.  The lack of threatening gestures from the mage had also helped.  She nods in assent at Kain's suggestion, having already decided that herself.  It is past time for the midday meal, and she'd be a Dalorin before she misses a meal or a chance at ale - especially when it's funded by someone else's money.

She tenses as Darien moves his horse in front of Kain, threatening him.  Or wait - is that an attempt at gaining a truce?  She holds in a snort of laughter at the thought, and watches, legs poised against the dun's sides in case she needs to move them both away quickly.  

Amazingly no fight breaks out, but she is unsure if what just happened counts as Darien and Kain settling their quarrel or not. Nasty looks over at Xaod and at Rheine, reading their expressions to try to see what they think, then shrugs.  A quick dismount puts Darien out of view as he rounds the corner of the tavern.  

Where's he going? Nasty wonders as she sees to Keshanna.  Maybe he's looking for a stable, she thinks, though that's odd, with a hitch-rail right here.  Maybe he plans to stay the night, she wonders, smiling to herself at the thought of a warm bed after a long night of drinking.  She grins saucily as she thinks of the things she might get up to... her grin broadens as she remembers Kain's phrase; 'lusty lips', he'd said.  His archaic dialogue is hard to understand sometimes, but it's sure good for a laugh!

Nasty removes the saddlebags and carries them inside with her, where she sees Darien already seated at the bar.  The inside of the room is freshly whitewashed, like the outside.  The room is high-ceilinged with a dark wooden chandelier - the candles unlit at the moment - hanging from the ceiling.  Along the left wall a staircase runs from a door at the second floor, down toward a door at the rear wall which opens on to a corridor.  At the end of the corridor a cobbled courtyard can be seen.  That must be where Darien came in, she thinks.

Stools line the long bar which takes up the rest of the rear wall, behind which a number of shelves hold about a dozen bottles and numerous glasses.  A small square window is cut into one side of the wall, presumably leading into the kitchen, from the clattering and crashing which comes from it.  Round tables fill the room, except for a wide aisle leading to and from the door.  Most are empty, as are all the barstools excepting the one Darien occupies.

The emptiness is strange at this hour.  I suppose those from the village can't afford to eat here, Nasty thinks as she walks to the bar.  The barman turns to her, coming over from the window into which he had just bellowed Darien's order.  He is an objectionable-looking man, all reddish-tinged skin and piggy eyes, set off by his balding dark hair and full, bushy handlebar moustache. He wipes meaty hands on his clean white apron and asks, surprisingly politely "And what can I get for you, lady?"

"What's fresh and hot?"  Nasty queries in return.  "The stew's good," he replies.  "It's Mithralfish and weeproot, fresh caught this morning, and there's bread just come out of the oven an hour ago to set with it."
"Excellent.  Send me over some of each, plenty of butter, and a mug of your best ale."  No point in skimping on his money, she thinks.  Nodding to Darien she goes to take a seat at a table near the stairs.

Nasty Lady

Kain Cristar
Divine Aspect
Approved Character

Elf, Co'orhem Kayrrhem

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2006, 01:00:23 PM »

The mage clears his mind, wiping free the spell that he had almost brought to being. Not that it would have been much of a spell. While it was not quite noon, Kain is in no position to be raining havok on his foes. He glares at the sun a moment, and feels that everything he was at that moment could be summed in one word. A term he had picked up from one of his "companions" Kak

With that said, he gives Tashyyr one last pat on the side, and walks into the tavern. The two inside seemed to already be drawing into their favorite past times, and Kain begain to doubt if they would go any further this day. A loaf of well baked bread for my table, sir. He grumbles, glancing for a moment at the boarish man. He selects a table well in the shade, and sits. His eyes stare at the open doorway, waiting.

Xaod Shadow
New Santharian

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2006, 06:07:23 AM »

Cresting the hill, Xaod glares down at the poor village. He wondered why it was so small, considering it was near a capital like Marcogg, his hometown. Shifting his gaze, he notes the whitewashed inn, smiling to himself.

As they near the tavern, Darien confronts the elf once again. Xaod rolls his eyes as Nasty looks to him to see his reaction. Tying Virtue's Rhyme next to the other horses, the assassain follows after Nasty, slinging his  saddlebags over his shoulder.

He caught the barman's reply to Nasty's question. Nodding to the others in the room, he placed himself on a stool next to Nasty, and placed his order. "I'll have the same as her, sir."

The Ghost
Blood Child
Approved Character

Elf, Ahrhim

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2006, 04:48:23 AM »

The Ghost had at first had trouble controlling his beast, but they seemed to have come to the agreement that The Ghost was in charge. Even if they had not, The Ghost decided that if the beast continued to make his life difficult, he would cut out its teeth.

Viewing the small town of Kries with a sneer, The Ghost ignored the rest of the groups action. Settling the horse at the hitch rail. Slowly demounting, his leg twisted, The Ghost tied the horse to the hitch rail, and slowly, leaning heavily on his cane, The GHost entered the tavern. Sneering at the bartender as he passed, The Ghost said one thing.

Food and drink.

He then walked to a secluded section of the tavern, preferring to sit by himself, and wait for his meal to come.

I am the Darkness between the stars.
I am the Silence between whispers.
I am there in your darkest of dreams.
I am The Ghost, and you cannot escape.

- The Ghost

I am the Darkness between Stars
I am the Silence between Whispers
I am There, in Your Darkest of Dreams
I am
The Ghost, and you Can Not Escape.
Nystacea Korlsdaughter
Hedonist
Approved Character

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2006, 09:29:23 AM »

Locking away the travellers’ coins, the innkeep barks their orders through the hole in the wall, prompting another spate of loud clattering from the kitchens.  He draws ale for the four who had requested it and sets one in front of the large, bearded man at the bar.  He busies himself under the counter finding a tray to carry the others on.  

Nasty Lady

Rheine
New Santharian

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2006, 11:22:23 AM »

The few hours they had been riding had been an exhausting one for Rheine. Hunched over the back of her horse, she spent most of the time staring at the tip of the saddle, when her eyes weren't closed as her weary body struggled to pull her conscious down into sleep. She could have sworn that, at a few points during the travel, she had actually dozed off--it was a social miracle for her that during those times she managed to stay upright on her horse and not fall off of it.

She tried to keep her mind off of the events of the previous day, and of the group she had to be with. She was still uncertain why she had agreed. And uncertain what exactly she was supposed to be doing to help them get the damnable sword. It was all just a fairy tale, some legend some random noble made up eons ago when he was drunk and wrote down in some scroll or book. No such thing existed, she knew, and so this whole trip would be worth nothing.

She assumed the only reason she had actually agreed was that, in reality, she had nothing else to do. Her hobbies, if they could be called that, were unfulfilling. Each day she would wake up, and attempt to survive and get by, and end up doing the same tasks and same forms of entertainment over and over. It had gotten tiring. Life had gotten tiring. And she was finding very little reason to continue going on anymore.

She'd often find herself sleeping extensively--when she slept at all. Her sleeping schedule had been very eratic for quite some time--she would often stay up for two or three nights in a row, then sleep during the day. During those two or three days of no sleep she would often catch short naps, but otherwise found very little sleep to recuperate herself. When she did finally rest, she slept for hours, and deep enough that it took only the loudest noise to bring her back to consciousness.

Eventually, they managed to reach a small town, and the group began making its way towards a tavern within the village. Rheine wearily commandeered her horse and marshalled it towards the inn. Slumping off of it, she secured its reins and then trudged towards the door of the building, dragging her feet along the ground.

Once inside, she let her gaze briefly gaze around the building. While its candles were unlit, the whitewashed walls gave the building a still relatively bright interior. Ignoring any others who might have been in the building, she trudged her way over towards the counter and took a heavy seat upon a tool. She then folded her arms across the countertop and buried her head into the folds of them. One arm picked itself up and held up a single finger, trying to summon the barkeep over towards her so that she could get some kind of alcoholic drink--or several.

-----
"She wants to go home, but nobody's home
It's where she lies, broken inside,
With no place to go, no place to go
To dry her eyes, broken inside."
-Nobody's Home, Avril Lavigne

Nystacea Korlsdaughter
Hedonist
Approved Character

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2006, 03:31:23 AM »

Successfully finding a tray, the barman pops his head back over the level of the counter to find himself staring straight a mop of red hair and a delicate pair of folded arms which hadn't been there before.  "Miss?" he says, as a finger raises itself into the air.

Nasty Lady

Rheine
New Santharian

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2006, 09:02:23 AM »

"Something... strong I guess..." Rheine murmured from her crossed arms as she lowered her finger. "And food, I guess... I don't really care what..." Taking a deep breath, she shifted her position slightly in the stool and let out a sigh, keeping her eyes closed beneath the folds of her arms.

-----
"She wants to go home, but nobody's home
It's where she lies, broken inside,
With no place to go, no place to go
To dry her eyes, broken inside."
-Nobody's Home, Avril Lavigne

Nystacea Korlsdaughter
Hedonist
Approved Character

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2006, 01:53:23 PM »

"Alright," says the barman, concern warring with suspicion on his face.  Another yell through to the kitchen brings out a skinny serving maid clad in a blousy brown dress with a blue apron.  Setting one mug in front of Darien, he gives the tray with the three remaining mugs to the girl, who proceeds around the room with them, giving one each to Nasty and Xaod, and to the Ghost.

As she does so, the barman regards the slumped mop of red on his bar with an appraising look, then turns to his collection of bottles.  Disregarding those easily visible, he opens a cupboard and pours three fingers of clear liquid into a glass.  He places the bottle back on the shelf, for easy access, where the label can be seen.  It reads "Genuine Mil'no Fire, produce of Uderza.  Not safe for non-Shendar."

"There y' are," he says, setting the glass before Rheine.

Nasty Lady

Nystacea Korlsdaughter
Hedonist
Approved Character

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2006, 08:45:23 PM »

Nasty flashes a quick smile at Xaod before she turns to watch the rest of the party walk in.  The Ghost keeps his distance from the bar, and orders without paying.  "He's looking for trouble, that one", she mutters under her breath, half to her companion but half to herself. "But then," she adds, "when is he not?"

Subsiding, Nasty waits for her order.  She scowls at the girl as she brings the ale to her and Xaod's table.  Too thin, she thinks, passing a look over the weighty, boar-like barman.  If he can be so well-fed, it's a crime she's so thin.  Solen's crime.  Whatever Nystacea is, she is also caring of those whom she sees getting a raw deal in life.  The barmaid's plight seems symbolic of that of the whole village of Kries.  It is not long, however, before her keen sense of pragmatism takes hold.  

What would I do?
she thinks to herself; sponsor their little village?  Pay for their food?  Like as not it'd be spent on making one or two old men fat, like that one, while the rest still starve. She takes the glass as it is set before her, downs a third of it and says, "I'll have another, as you have a moment."

Nasty Lady

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]

[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]

[March 19, 2020, 03:47:44 AM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]