Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chapter 2C: Disappearing into the Light  (Read 28530 times)
Nystacea Korlsdaughter
Hedonist
Approved Character

« on: January 10, 2006, 03:36:23 AM »

The storm has raged overnight, battering the little hut with rain, wind and thunder.  Morning dawns much calmer, but dull and drizzly over Feif Tyrsan. The Mithrals are shrouded in their spring robes of grey cloud, and the swollen streams of the area cloak the depression in which Holt sits in a moist fog.

As the travellers awake from their beds and start upon the road - all bar the dwarf, who refuses to be awoken - they can see strange, white shapes like ghosts which are arrayed in rank upon rank on either side of the road, when the mist parts.  Those who have been here before know that these are the shrouded fields where the sou'cald moss is grown on rows and rows of logs which are kept shaded under large sheets of cloth, but to those who have not been there it might - to the more imaginitive - look like an army of ghosts come to claim their souls, especially in this dim, dismal weather,

The road begins to slope downward from the hut.  As it does the air becomes stiller as they move further into the shelter of the hills on the east of the town which protect Holt from the wind.  This has its drawbacks, however, as the stench of the town collects here and even a storm such as they had last night can only lessen it somewhat.  The smell is bearable, if unpleasant, and the travellers should become accustomed to it by the time they reach the township.

Edited by: Tasuli Rose at: 1/9/06 23:08
Mimi Dorgren
Sunspark
Approved Character

Human, Avennoria

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 04:45:23 AM »

Pellaghia and Mimi rode with their new acquaintance down the road towards Holt. It was not far away now, not more than ten strals, maybe less. You could tell this from the stench which got stronger with every ped. There was only a little grove of fir trees and baychtrees still to cross before Holt could be seen, with this rocky part in the middle of the trees which was well loved by the children of Holt to play adventure games - if they had the opportunity to get away from the village this far.  Pellaghia had bound a cloth in front of her nose as had Mimi. Not that this helped much. But as she knew from earlier visits, you got use to the stench once you stayed there for a while till you didn‘t notice it.

Mimi however didn‘t have this knowledge - at least not experienced on her own, and so she muttered all the way long that she couldn‘t stay it.

„It may be better in the village itself, Mimi dear, at least in your aunts house, for it is on the north side of the village and when the wind blows strong enough from north east it will blow away at least part of the smell.“ Pellaghia comforted her.

„Can‘t we ride a bit quicker then, grandma? This way we will come earlier to her house and don‘t have to endure this awful stench?“ Mimi pleaded.

„No, Mimi, I doubt that your dear little horse would like to gallop the next ten strals and then it will just stop and stand still and might want to go on for some time. Better we are not this quick but have a steady pace, don‘t you think so?“

„No, I don‘t , I think my horse want to be rid of this stench as well and would run as quickly to get away!“

„We don‘t want to try this out, my dear.“
Pellaghia answered, and with this the affair was settled.

But it didn‘t take long, and Mimi had another problem which needed attention. This time she rode quite close to Pellaghia whispering:

„Grandma, I need a privy!Now!“

Pellaghia looked at her sighing:

„Don‘t you think you can hold it till we are with aunt Elsie? It would be slightly difficult to do it here, and you would have to be longer in this stench..?“

„No, granny, I can‘t , I forgot to go this morning!“

„Then we have to stop and go just behind this boulder over there, come on, I tell the others that they should go on without us.“

But this was not what Mimi wanted either, she didn‘t want to part with this elf who had a bird or miss the one with the sheep and this funny riding animal. So she proposed to Pellaghia:

„I have a better idea! I‘m riding on very quickly till I‘m in this little grove down the road, there I do what I have to do and when you will arrive I‘m already finished and we can go on and don‘t loose time.“

„I don‘t like the idea that you will be on your own down there, but well, Holt is not far away, maybe only five strals, go on and wait for us at the group of boulders!“

And Mimi rode on with a delightful cheer. It didn‘t take her but five minutes to enter the fir trees and she was out of sight and able to find a place to relief herself.

It took about half an hour till the rest of the party entered the grove and another five minutes till they reached the group of boulders Pellaghia had in mind. The road led them directly through the group of massive stones each of them piling up to fifteen peds and more, an ideal ground to climb on for adventurous kids. They were nearly through and Pellaghia expected Mimi to be here where the road left the boulder area, but there was no Mimi.

„Mimi, Mimi! Where are you?“
Pellaghia called out, but no Mimi came to frighten them she had expected she would. The woman became angry with her granddaughter and ranted:

„I knew, I shouldn‘t have allowed her to go ahead on her own, but I really thought it would be a good idea. Now I have to look for her and then I find her playing in a hole!“

She demounted and asked Hieronimus,

„Hiero, won‘t you mind and hold the reins of my horse till I have found her? She is surely not far away.“

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 1/11/06 20:48
Hieronimus Kupfdrubus
Cleric of Grothar
New Santharian

Human, Stratania

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 05:46:23 AM »

Hieronimus came to hold the reins, but he was a wide travelled man and knew to read a track, at least a track which was so fresh as this one.

„Look over here, Pellaghia! I don‘t think you will find Mimi here. See over there, where the stony part of the road gets muddy again - there is a fresh track of a horse, I would say, not older than half an hours, probably fresher. And it has rained all night, so this track can‘t only be from Mimi‘s horse. She has just a pony, and no horseshoes - this would fit, wouldn‘t it? she has gone on to Holt and didn‘t wait for us to come.

Let‘s go on and find this little brat!“

H.Kupfdrubus

Mimi Dorgren
Sunspark
Approved Character

Human, Avennoria

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 05:47:23 AM »

Pellaghia agreed with a heavy heart. What should she say? Hiero had convincing arguments, though she thought she would prefer to search a bit around. But the weather, a cold drizzle was surely not inviting to climb up these wet stones and rocks, so she agreed to go on. It would be just another half an hour till they reached Holt and then she would have her little girl back.

Tythle Fi thea
New Santharian

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 06:35:23 AM »

Tythle had rode Notre quietly listening to the banter go back and forth between the to ladies ahead of him. He had watched Mimi ride a head with a little worry and now that she was possible lost or worst he quickly offered his assistance. "Pellaghia I could send Scion up to search for her from the sky, it would give us a great advantage in finding her." Scion ruffled and preened a little as he heard his name being said. The large hawk puffed out his chest, taking on a proud and capable demeanor.

Vince Dark
New Santharian

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 08:58:23 AM »

Vince had been riding toward the rear since Vah had a habit of running up to the front of the group, then ran back along side Vince when he got too far ahead. Shén was getting restless, not liking the slower pace that had been set.  Vince hadn’t seen Mimi ride off ahead, and when they slowed near a bunch of boulders and he saw that the little girl was gone and Pellaghia looked angry…then worried.  The others talked about what might have happened to the child.  Hieronimus saw tracks that suggested that she had gone ahead, Vince silently agreed with him.  

"Pellaghia I could send Scion up to search for her from the sky, it would give us a great advantage in finding her."

“That is a good idea,” Vince added, before suggesting, “I think Hiero is right, perhaps I should ride ahead and look for her?  Shén wishes to run and it seems like now is as good a time as any.”  

"How do you dream? I mean, what can you dream of; if from under your forest ceiling you have never seen the stars?"

Ishmaelion
Ishmaelion the Philosopher
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 10:26:23 PM »

Ishmaelion:

He look around him, not seeing the llittle girl who had become their company. Ishmaelion legs were hurting and he was barely able to keep up with his band of friends. Stretching out his hand toward the elf on horseback, Tythle, he said:

Tythle, my friend, would you mind if I ride abit alongside thee on your beautiful horse, my bones aren't what they used to be.

Having said this he started looking for Mimi again, when Vince said:

I think Hiero is right, perhaps I should ride ahead and look for her? Shén wishes to run and it seems like now is as good a time as any.

Ishmaelion nodded at the friendly figure: I think that would be a wise idea.

Ishmaelion

Edited by: ishmaelion  at: 1/25/06 14:28

Mimi Dorgren
Sunspark
Approved Character

Human, Avennoria

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 08:30:23 AM »

Pellaghia is ill out of sorrow, but she doesn‘t know, what would be now the right thing to do.

“Tythle, it is nice that you offer your bird, please let him fly. But I fear, he can‘t see Mimi, if she would be anywhere around here. Well,“ and now she sighs heavily “let us ride on and hope, that she is already in Holt - it is not far away. Vince, please wait for us in front of the Blue Inn, if you should find her. And thank you.

Let‘s go!

And she kicks her horse much rougher than usual and starts down the slight slope of the road.

Vince Dark
New Santharian

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 02:23:23 PM »

I think that would be a wise idea.

Vince nodded and hopped off Shén, picked up Vah, set him on Shén’s back, and began to secure him so he wouldn’t fall off when Shén picked up the pace.

Vince, please wait for us in front of the Blue Inn, if you should find her. Pellaghia said with a sigh.

”I will be waiting for you at the Blue Inn, hopefully with the little one.” Vince shouted as he nudged Shén, who took off running.  Within a few moments, Vince was out of sight on the winding road.

"How do you dream? I mean, what can you dream of; if from under your forest ceiling you have never seen the stars?"

Hieronimus Kupfdrubus
Cleric of Grothar
New Santharian

Human, Stratania

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 06:00:23 PM »

Hieronimus was driven to comfort Pellaghia  somehow, but didn't know what to do or say. So he just nudged Grey, his horse, to go on and followed her down the road.

H.Kupfdrubus

Ishmaelion
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2006, 12:05:23 AM »

Tythle:

The elf watched as his companions strode forward and nodded. He held his head close to his bird, and whispered soft words. The Bird rose up from his hand and started souring the skies, looking for the little girl. He sighed as he turned to Ishmaelion, who was standing on the ground holding out his hand.

Yes, please mount, I'm sure my horse can carry us both, he said while patting his trusted horse on the back.

Ishmaelion:

Ishmaelion saw hieronymus and pellaghia leave as well as Vince and he regretted the events which had caused this schism. Where would that girl be? He turned his look to the elf, Tythle, who had just launched his bird and said that Ishmaelion could mount his horse. Ishmaelion bowed his head in gratitude and started to mount the horse...

...And fell to the ground...

...And tried again...

...And finally...

...He suceeded in mounting the horse and patted Tythle on the back.

I'm free to go, dear elf

Ishmaelion

Ishmaelion
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2006, 12:08:23 AM »

Tythle:

The philosopher had mounted the horse and the two set of and quickly regained pace with Pelaghia and Hieronymus.
Tythle gestured to the air:

If Mimi's out there, I'm sure Scion will find her. His ragged voice seemed full of sympathy for the old woman.

Ishmaelion

Vince Dark
New Santharian

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 01:02:23 AM »

Shén has been in an all out sprint for several minutes now, the forest now scattered trees around him.  The smell, which was only a minor inconvenience earlier, was getting worse and worse.  Vince scanned the road ahead, for any sign of Mimi’s horse, then looked to his left, searched for a horse, then to the right, and searched for a horse, but to no avail.  A few minutes later, Vince was in holt, he patted Shén on the neck, and bid him to slow down to a brisk walk.  The Blue Inn…shouldn’t be that hard to find… Vince thought as he wandered through the surprisingly surly town, being thrown glares and sneers and just about any sort of mean face that could be made.  By Ava, I think if Shén wasn’t so big, and if I didn’t have my spear out and on my back, these people would out right attack me!  Vince thought to his horror.  Suddenly, Shén stopped, which shook Vince out of his thoughts.  He looked up and saw a sign for The Blue Inn, and, with his heart rising, he saw (or thought he saw) Mimi’s horse tied up out front!  

Vince jumped off Shén and ran inside.  He looked the room over, with no sign of the girl, he ran up to the barkeep and yelled, “Have you seen a little girl?  She has red hair, green eyes, freckles?!” Vince frantically asked.

Edited by: Vince Dark at: 1/30/06 22:22
Nystacea Korlsdaughter
Hedonist
Approved Character

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 07:40:23 PM »

The barman looks up from his work and eyes Vince suspiciously as he bursts into the tavernroom.  The few patrons around at this early hour look up from their tables with the same mistrustful look on their faces.  "Who are you?" he asks of the elf in a rumbling tone, "And why'd you come here? Who are you to be bursting in here?"  His voice is quiet and not really threatening, but the barman's demeanour leaves little doubt that Vince is not welcome, and that his problems, such as they are, are of no interest to him.

Nasty Lady

Hieronimus Kupfdrubus
Cleric of Grothar
New Santharian

Human, Stratania

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 11:44:23 PM »

Tythle and Ishmaelion had followed Hiero and Pellaghia and were now riding with them. He tried to persuade Grey to walk a bit faster, but the old horse didn‘t want to. Finally he reached Holt and soon they were in front of the „Blue Inn“. Mimi‘s horse was there! Maybe the brat sat in the inn and had ordered a meldarapple Fizz!

Vince‘s elk was in front of the inn as well, the sheep was still tied to the elk's back which looked very funny and Hieronimus would surely have presented the party  his sharp tongue, but in this situation he could not be his old self - at least not the funny part of himself. He wished he would not be a cleric of Grothar, but one of Seyella and able to look into the future, but all wishing did not help now.  

H.Kupfdrubus

Edited by: Hieronimus Kupfdrubus at: 1/31/06 22:06
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]

[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]

[March 19, 2020, 03:47:44 AM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]