Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: To ALL active CCMs: IF YOU SEE THIS READ IT NOW!  (Read 2155 times)
Terra Artemos
Moonblade Warrior
Mini-mod

Human, Sophronian

« on: August 21, 2003, 10:40:22 AM »

I NEED HELP!!!

I am but one person, and as of late have lost all motivation to read the reems of CDs that are in the works. There is just too many of them and I have been doing it too long, and putting off other things that I origionally came here to do (Like having fun!) for far too long.

I have said when Rayne annouced she was going on vacation that I would not be happy if I was running it alone, and even mused about the return of Khan Mortus Pryde the Bloody. Well the time has come, and the newbies only salvation is the fact that I am totally disinterested in reading there CDs, but that does not mean I am not going to rip some new ones. >:  

'I am grey. All but those like me see only darkness and light, they do not see the grey between them. In this greyness I dwell. I would not wish this fate on any other.'

Terra Artemos Character Description

Eryk Aisean
New Santharian

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 02:32:22 PM »

Well, I've been trying to comment as much as I can, but I've been busy the past couple of days.  I'll try though...

Mind, heart and body cannot be conquered.

Terra Artemos
Moonblade Warrior
Mini-mod

Human, Sophronian

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2003, 03:17:22 PM »

I appreciate that, all the help I can get is great as I am quickly loosing all interest in CDs... Unfortunately. I have just been working too hard and too long on them, and even when I bring in new CCMs this seems to have only a temporary effect.

I encourage all players, new and old to take interest not only in the CDs, but the information provided for the site as well. We will no doubt be looking for dedicated and knowledgeable people to be CCMs in the future, though I can not say how near. At this point I would like to stress DEDICATED, as a prerequisite. Please if we call for CCMs do not say you are worthy because you have been here for a long time if you are not commenting on CDs regularly. It has not worked in the past, nor will it work with me in the future.

And now I return to strangling CCMs.

'I am grey. All but those like me see only darkness and light, they do not see the grey between them. In this greyness I dwell. I would not wish this fate on any other.'

Mina
Ávash'deláey
Approved Character

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2003, 09:37:22 PM »

Well, I've been trying to help out too, but I never seem to find much to say.  Hopefully this is because the CDs are getting better.  

Terra Artemos
Moonblade Warrior
Mini-mod

Human, Sophronian

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2003, 10:47:22 AM »

I appretiate your efforts too, and all the Mini-Mods that try to help out.

Will not say more about those this thread was targeted at, as I am quite pissed all around ATM!

Raoneth
New Santharian

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2003, 02:51:22 AM »

I'll try to help when I get a steady connection in about two weeks or so...

DarkMorpher
New Santharian

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2003, 03:06:22 AM »

If you want, I could try and do some stuff too, although Im not a mod...

Avour
New Santharian

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2003, 02:18:22 AM »

I know I'm hardly around much these days. (Due to reasons I wont go in to) However I look on occasion at the character descriptions.... Perhaps its getting toooooooo detailed. Look at the ones that were about a year ago... Where as detail is great, and super splendid and all, people do this for fun - both the creating of characters, and the reading and helping of them.... If it becomes a chore (sp) to continue reading them, chances are your going to loose interest and not have the urge to get back to them..... <- experience talkin :\

Since the work load is some what difficult to handle - I know what it is that your dealing with, and sympathise with you 100% on that.. which is part of the reason why I dont get in to character descriptions anymore I dont have the time to go in to such depth as is needed these days... I could be way out of my depth here, but that's just my own two cents... I think maybe relaxing some what (of a lot) is in order.. If something is wrong / doesn't fit then it just doesn't fit... but some of the lenghts that people have to go to.. is like yikes :eek  

Youd be lost if I wasnt here to annoy you - Little Sister speaking to Big Sister... (My sister talking to me)

Alýr (Rayne)
Dreamress
CD Mod

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2003, 03:27:22 AM »

I do think the detail is needed. This is an excellent place to RP in. You have the choice to choose between several RPGs that you'd like to participate in or, if you wish, can even make your own story. However, to be approved, a goof profile is needed.

The detail is needed, but as I see it the only way to better explain it is to go through section by section. Appearance section tests to make sure that this person is heeding the entry of their tribe. White-haired Shendars or Black-haired Kasumarii cause contradictions which may cause discrepancies in the RPG. The details in the Appearance section make sure that they RPer knows who they are RPing, the features they have. This allows others to play off them and for the RPers to better understand their character.

Which leads into personality. If you don't know your character's personality, who they are suppose to be, then you can't really play them, can you? I want to make sure that people are prepared to play the characters they're going to play, and will be able to plan how they would act in certain situations.

History is for the basic knowledge of the world. If people are saying they're going from Bardavos to Ximax in two weeks, then they need a bit of help there. They can then use that knowledge to help them better estimate how long it will take to get from one place to another. We make sure that, in the RPG, they aren't seeing dragons all the time flying through the sky, or they're not spotting orcs running about in the forests of Santharia. This, again, causes contradictions.

Occupation is mainly, as I see it, to make sure that the character has created a realistic character. Being a wonderer is great, but if you're not finding ways to make money, then you're a dead man. Just because it’s fantasy doesn't mean its ok tfor everything to not make sense.

Strengths and weaknesses is pretty self-explanatory. I don't want power characters on the Boards causing havoc. It also prevents people from having latent abilities that suddenly burst out in the heat of some battle and end up making the character a God character. Weaknesses will help an RPer balance their characters weaknesses and strengths. Possessions is self-explanatory... making sure that artifacts are checked and swords and spell books aren't popping out of nowhere.

This is a high fantasy RPG, and it takes a lot to get in here. Being a admin or mod is a privilege, not a right. The detail is needed, and I personally have no problem reading entries. However, I would rather not be stuck on the night of a big exam having to looking over and critique character profiles. If you have no desire or are too busy to critique CDs, maybe the position of admin or mod is just not for you.

Arancaytar Ilyaran
New Santharian

Homepage
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2003, 09:56:22 AM »

To emphasize Rayne's point:

If you want to see what a CD with little detail looks like, go to the Char desc. thread and take a look at the most recent one, Kaeru Vashnari. That is most certainly not the kind of chars you want to see here.:rolleyes

Also goes to show that we non-titled newbies can indeed be helpful in commenting on CDs.:D  

Arancaytar Ilyaran

"When you start quoting yourself, it's a sure sign of senility" Arancaytar Ilyaran

Avour
New Santharian

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2003, 06:06:22 PM »

If they weren't as long as they are now, I could most likely help, however with 4 jobs, moving house, a sick relative and other things going on in my life reading such long descriptions just wont fit in to my time table, nor can being an active admin as I'd like to be. As much as I'd love it to. If I could, I would be about more often, since I have put a lot of effort in to the site, creating the Tethinrhim and various things that related to them, and also creating the "Uri check". Terra knows that I'm contactable on aim if there is anything that she needs urgently.

The link provided is obviously not what I'm talking / referring to. Look at the character descriptions going back about a year or some ago. They were detailed enough to have the information that was required. Their length is becoming a problem, since Terra is the main one checking through them, and is also having trouble keeping up with them it seems logical to relax on the strictness / reduce their length (and other people as well that I talk to from these forums have also mentioned on several occasions) There length of the CD's is getting some what crazy. Detail is needed, just the length that is being requested.

That is my opinion.

Youd be lost if I wasnt here to annoy you - Little Sister speaking to Big Sister... (My sister talking to me)

Artimidor Federkiel
Admin

Homepage
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2003, 05:47:22 AM »

I think both "extreme" points of views need to be considered equally and a balance between writing in-depth character descriptions and maintaining the fun for the people who create their characters needs to be reached. Too strict rules, which require too much work from both sides, player and mods, aren't helpful eventually for both parties. I personally think as well that we're currently still too strict, but of course it is understandable that the developers especially want to protect their babies. So I can only recommend to keep an eye on the fun level for both sides as a general indicator. I think that a shorter description with high quality is also ok.

Another thing is to see that people create more stories on their own, so that the players also find something where they can play with their elaborated characters. This also should be a high priority, I think.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 8/25/03 21:48

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...
Alýr (Rayne)
Dreamress
CD Mod

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2003, 08:54:22 AM »

Quote:
Terra is the main one checking through them

Erm, ok, you obviously haven't been to the Character Description forum lately.

I require only what I need to know to understand the character, physically, magically, mentally, and emotionally. If the RPer can write out the profile so that I can understand it and so that other's can understand it, I know that they understand it, and hopefully the world that they're RPing in. I do not ask for anything else.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]

[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]

[March 19, 2020, 03:47:44 AM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:29 PM]

[July 23, 2019, 07:02:23 PM]

[June 19, 2018, 12:49:51 PM]