Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whats it mean to be American  (Read 1627 times)
Darius Shortblade
New Santharian

« on: September 01, 2005, 01:04:22 PM »

Story in Tampa Newspaper

WILL we still be the Country of choice and still be America IF we continue to make the changes forced on us by the people from other countries that came to live in America because it is the Country of Choice??????
Think about it .

All I have to say is, when will they do something about MY RIGHTS? I celebrate Christmas, but because it isn't celebrated by everyone, we can no longer say Merry Christmas. Now it has to be Season's Greetings........ It's not Christmas vacation, it's Winter Break Isn't it amazing how this winter break ALWAYS occurs over the Christmas holiday? We've gone so far the other way, bent over backwards to not offend anyone, that I AM  now being Offended. But it seems that no one has a problem with that.
This says it all!

This is an editorial written by an American citizen, published in a

Tampa newspaper He did quite a job--didn't he? Read on, please!

IMMIGRANTS, NOT AMERICANS, MUST ADAPT.
I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Americans. However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the "politically correct" crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others.

I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to America Our population is almost entirely made up of descendants of immigrants However, there
are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand. This idea of America being a multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Americans, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.

We speakENGLISH , not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language!

"In God We Trust" is our national motto This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it
on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you
consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.

If Stars and Stripes offend you, or you don't like Uncle Sam, then you
should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet. We
are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really
don't care how you did things where you came from. This is
OUR COUNTRY, our land, and our lifestyle. Our First Amendment gives every citizen the right to express his opinion and we will allow you every opportunity to do so But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our flag, our pledge, our national motto, or our way of life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great American freedom, THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.
It is Time for America to Speak up

AMEN

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 02:52:22 PM »

::does the happy American dance::

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Bahran the big
Mercenary
Approved Character

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 02:54:22 PM »

Now here's something that makes me mad: the United States has no official language. Most other countries have one or more official languages. But, in an attempt to not offend anyone, the U.S. has decided to not have an official language.

www.cia.gov/cia/publicati...tml#People

Scroll down to languages, it lists English as roughly 82%. I do believe that's enough to make it a national language, but yet, it's not.*

Canada has two official languages, English and French. I'm sure EVERYONE who doesn't speak one of these two languages naturally and lives in Canada is offended. Of course. And in Canada, not even 60% of the population speaks English, and just over 23% speak French.

82% of the U.S. speaks English; that's basically the same percentage of people who speak English and French COMBINED in Canada.

Something’s in the article I disagree with, i.e., the Founding Fathers wanted a separation between church and state (To quote: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"), even though they themselves were Christian, they wanted non-Christians to have equal rights. As long as no religion takes precedent over another, I'm fine. I just don't like it when people try to be so politically correct they ban Christmas trees from schools but allow symbols from other religions to be displayed (which actually happened at one school not far from me.)

But, yes, all this ‘U.S. needs to conform to the people moving here’ garbage needs to change. We may be a nation of immigrants, but once you take up residence here you’re an American. And you know what language the Founding Fathers wrote our Constitution in? English.

*If you check some of the other countries and go to languages it says (official) after them; after "English" on the U.S. entry - nothing. Also, after a little research, you'll find this elsewhere; I just thought the CIA World Factbook would be a reliable source for everyone.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

"It’s better to die whimpering like a little girl than trying to be a hero."
-Anonymous

"Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; The best of life is but intoxication."
- Lord Byron
Isaraldor Glamthail
Mystic of the Wind
Approved Character

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 03:38:22 PM »

Amen.

sig made by gararion

Can you withstand my eternal onslaught of wind and water?
Isaraldor Glamthail-Santharia

Ever meet the fury of the wind?
Marvin Cerambit
Carvin' Marvin
Approved Character

Orc, Gob-Oc

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 04:13:22 PM »

Quote:
"In God We Trust" is our national motto This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.

About the language and such I agree, but not about religion. What's wrong with people believing in something else, as long as they don't offend or disturb others? Of course that's no reason to stop calling Christmas vacation Christmas vacation if you want to.

And about official languages, Belgium has three: Dutch, French and German. About 60% speaks Dutch and most of the other 40% French. There's only a very small part that actually speaks German, but it's an official language anyway.

Edit:
Hah, know your own country. From the World Factbook *bookmarks that thing*:
Quote:
Dutch (official) 60%, French (official) 40%, German (official) less than 1%, legally bilingual (Dutch and French)

Edited by: Marvin Cerambit  at: 9/1/05 8:19

Marvin Cerambit ~ Do not tease my Warg, because you are crunchy and tasteful

Need help with your new Character?
~> Click Here <~
Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels
Lady of the South
Mini-mod

Human, Shendar, Shen-D'auras

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 07:03:22 PM »

Well, that it not just a problem in the US, Germany and Europe in genral have the same problems.

Attempts are made to introduce, that everybody who wants to stay here for longer has to learn German, but those projects are difficult to pursue, as long as the money for those projects is scarce. Not to mention the problem how to bring the mother of a Turkish family into an evening school. There are a lot who don't speak a single word,relaying on their perfectly Bavarian speaking children. And there are not necessary big districts of people of the same (former) nationality living together.

That "Christian Symbol out of schools" problem we had as well. A single father in Bavaria claimed he (or his children) feels embarrased when having to look at the cross, especially with a corpus. All crosses had to be removed from school rooms. Denying the rest of the class to be able to look at the symbol doesn't count. But I think the last word is not yet spoken. Why not a cross in mostly christian classes, and half moon in muslim? But what are you doing then with those, who are non-believers and their rights?

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

Erián'melór
The Shadow of Death
Approved Character

Elf, Injerín

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 12:36:22 AM »

Quote:
"In God We Trust" is our national motto This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.
Our founding fathers were not all Christians. They were Christians, Deists, and Atheists. Yeah, I said Atheists. Benjamin Franklin was a member of the Hellfire Club, an intellectual organization that scorned and opposed organized and established religions, including Christianity. He is only the first example of a founding father that was NOT a Christian. Thomas Paine even wrote a lengthy book called The Age of Reason to disprove the bible and Christianity. I don't see the point in listing every founding father that was not a Christian. Also, the editorial says that God is a part of our culture. Does the author even realize how many cultures are a part of our culture? The U.S. is a melting pot, where immigrants have influenced the culture. Does the author realize that every citizen in this country has immigrants as ancestors? I disagree with that editorial. I am offended by Christian symbols, or those of any other religion. They should not be in the schools, or has anyone never heard of a little thing I like to call "Separation of Church and State"? I have nothing against Christians, though many have claimed that I will burn in Hell for an eternity. If they want to worship God, then they should do so in their on time and not force me to watch. The phrase "under God" was added to the pledge in 1954, and I refuse to even say those words. Yet, at the beginning of every day at school, a public school, they would broadcast that over the intercom. Here's a fun fact for the Christians of the world, the Christmas tree was originally a pagan symbol. Christianity has a bloody history such as the Crusades and the Spanish Inquisition. By the way, immigrants came to America to escape religious persecution, not to have Christianity shoved down their throats. Christians will try to convert someone against their will, and they are the only religion that preaches that they are the only way to heaven.
Quote:
"I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through me." John 14:6
I tend to take offense when someone tells me that either I convert or I will burn in Hell. I know I'm ranting, but that article offends me in so many ways.

The sun falls from the evening sky,
this life I cannot abide.
The eternal night draws nigh,
I seek the loving embrace of my lost bride.

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 11:52:22 PM »

A lot of things offend people because they LET it offend them. People are so thin skinned now a days, can't even smile at someone without them reacting negatively these days.

People who take offense at something, should have a wake up call....literally. Most people are NOT out there to get you and guess what! You, yourself, are not a majority. YOU ARE A MINORITY! Unless you suddenly found a way to replicated yourself a billion times. ::Rolls eyes::

People don't know what they want any more other than self recognition. It is all about themselves. And sadly, Most of the world are fat lazy pigs, even Americans. I myself am most likely guilty of this charge as well. I ain't kicking myself out that one ::Ish good like that::

If you guys are offended by something...ignore it! Sheesh. Is it so hard to turn away and ignore instead of having to create a massive issue over something so frivolous? Really, Being offended is a choice because you let yourself be offended. Wake up and look life in the eyes why don't ya, the world is not about you.

EDIT: And Erian, if you don't like it, don't listen to them. There are Christians out there who don't care to shove things down people's throats. ::raises hand:: And the ones who try to do so are in the wrong and need to put themselves into check, because it is wrong. As for the Bible itself, you have a choice to believe it or not. If you don't like what it says then DON"T READ IT. See? Simple solution. And the verse you quoted is a wonderful one. Thank you for sharing. :)  

Edited by: Kalina Merenwen at: 9/1/05 15:56

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Kareesh Valendar
Hatred's Fury
CD Mod

Elf, Arthyron

Homepage
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 02:41:22 AM »

Quote:
Benjamin Franklin was a member of the Hellfire Club, an intellectual organization that scorned and opposed organized and established religions, including Christianity. He is only the first example of a founding father that was NOT a Christian.

Yet, when he was older, he talked with a famous preacher. I can't remember his name right now, and he became saved. Also, Georgia was originally a state for convicts. Does that mean that our country was founded for of convicts. NO! Maryland was originally a colony for Catholics. We have always been a country of diversity. Yet, we were founded for religious freedom FOR CHRISTIANS. They were escaping the Church of England because they were saying that they *have* to be a part of *that* church or their going to be killed.  -.-

Ok, here's my stance on that. If you don't go to my church, that's fine. If you aren't a part of my denomination, that's fine too. The only thing I care about is whether you have accepted Jesus as your Saviour and Lord. Really, that's the only thing that matters to me. Religion nowadays has gotten so distorted that churches are getting in fights with each other and even within themselves over the little things.

Back to the original subject....Christianity is *NOT* the only religion that states "If you don't believe this then you're going to Hell." Look at Islam. They kill Americans because they realize, even if most of America doesn't, that we are a Christian nation. When the WTC was destroyed, how many Muslims do you think were in the building? Prolly quite a few. Do you think the terrorists cared? No.

Here's another little thing for you to think about. They complained and took God and prayer out of the school. Now look at our schools. Look at Columbine. Look at how many of the girls are getting pregnant. Look at how many *crimes* are being committed in them *since* we took God out of the picture.

If you don't want to be a Christian, that's your choice. I'm not going to shove my nose into your buisness unless I get an invitation. The morals in this country have gone waaaaaaaaay down since we have eliminated God in everything.

I would like to point out that the Crusades weren't fought because of religion. The church at that time was corrupt. The fight was for land and money. The church wanted the Holy Land 'cause it would bring them lots of money. They, at that time, believed that you could "buy your salvation". Thus, that's how they got alot of soldiers to fight for them. "If you fight for the church, and for the Crusades, then you will surely get into heaven". Yes, the Christian nation may have an ugly past, but you know what? Everyone does. The religion itself did not go out and slaughter millions of people. The people who thought that they could run a religion did.

And I agree with Kalina all the way. There are people who shove stuff down people's throats. Teachers at school do it all the time. In fact, I was told by a teacher that I don't exist. If that's a case, then you should just give an "A" on everything or at least don't grade my papers 'cause I don't exist. I don't need an education.

Hey world! Guess what! I don't exist! 'Cause a teacher, a person with a higher education then me, told me so!

-.- Some people are idiots. The choice is up to you. But lemme say this before signing off. By not choosing, you've already made your choice.

Look behind you while in the dark...you never know what lies in the shadows...

Marvin Cerambit
Carvin' Marvin
Approved Character

Orc, Gob-Oc

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 03:20:22 AM »

Really people should just be more tolerant. Does it really matter if you believe in christ or even in god?
Quote:
Here's another little thing for you to think about. They complained and took God and prayer out of the school. Now look at our schools. Look at Columbine. Look at how many of the girls are getting pregnant. Look at how many *crimes* are being committed in them *since* we took God out of the picture.

If you don't want to be a Christian, that's your choice. I'm not going to shove my nose into your buisness unless I get an invitation. The morals in this country have gone waaaaaaaaay down since we have eliminated God in everything.

I'm not going to say that morals haven't gone down since they took god out of everything, but the question is, is that the real reason? Did you know America is the country with the most (ex-)criminals (compared to the total population)? I doubt my neigbour is christian, I have a friend that believes in something Keltic and some more that are atheists. Does that make them bad people? If I lived my life respecting the christian values that I grew up with, but if I didn't believe in god or jesus, does it mean I go to hell? If god is all forgiving, how can there even be an eternal punishment for what one has done in a mortal life? Things aren't black and white, and I think we shouldn't be to fast to judge anyone.

And terrorists are probably much more concerned about America not staying out of 'their way of life' and 'their country'. And they don't care in what you believe really. Currently their are many muslims victims of attacks in Iraq.

And muslims treated christians (and jews) pretty well before the crusades, as they considered them to at least have the same god. Back then they were the only ones really to innovate and study science as well. Strange how things can turn around after 1000 years isn't it?

Marvin Cerambit ~ Do not tease my Warg, because you are crunchy and tasteful

Need help with your new Character?
~> Click Here <~
Thom
New Santharian

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 02:41:22 AM »

I don't want to sound hating and don't want to generalize things...
But god... (yeah god blabla just an expression) You people are so ignorant!!!

For one:
Quote:
This is
OUR COUNTRY

No it's not... You stole it from the Indians...
Long time ago true... But it's not your country...
And I don't mean to say that you don't have the right to live their. Just saying that you are not the native people.
And there is something called integration...

Quote:

"In God We Trust" is our national motto This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it
on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you
consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.

I don't say god offends me, but, I don't think gos is great and stuff like that shouyld be displayed in schools or other public influencial buildings. People, especially children, are easily influenced and they should get the chance to form their own oppinion on religion.

Quote:
Our First Amendment gives every citizen the right to express his opinion and we will allow you every opportunity to do so But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our flag, our pledge, our national motto, or our way of life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great American freedom, THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.
It is Time for America to Speak up

He is whining himself...
If he thinks that people are intitled to express their oppinion then let them, don't be so intollorant, be open to other peoples believes.
Don't say: Say what you gotta say and then beat it.

Quote:
Back to the original subject....Christianity is *NOT* the only religion that states "If you don't believe this then you're going to Hell." Look at Islam. They kill Americans because they realize, even if most of America doesn't, that we are a Christian nation. When the WTC was destroyed, how many Muslims do you think were in the building? Prolly quite a few. Do you think the terrorists cared? No.

This is because chrisianity and the islam are both monotheïstic religions, the polytheïstic ones are cooler they say: A new god? Cool lets add him to ours... No whining about my god is better then yours.
Besides I don't get the whole fighting between the islam and christianity, they both originated from the jews so what are you complaining, your differences are at a complete minimum...
Fact: Did you know that the U.S. is the only country with christen extremists?

Quote:

I don't think that's because of the no god sign...
It's just the way 'time flows' right now...
See in the dark ages sex alchahol etc were normal amongst teenagers, they were considered adults, because they were sexually mature. They married at that age.
Then in 1800-1900 they weree treated as kids again, sex was a taboo, and it has been a taboo since Madonna(;) )... And now teenagers are treaten, or feal, adults again, they experiment with sex drugs and all kinds of things, the taboo is broken... sort of...
Now if they would get some sexual education on school, use of condoms aids pregnance etc. that would help a lot...
A god has little or nothing to do with it...

Now on the you are ignorant thing... I would like to explain that...
Ofcourse you are not all ignorant, but it's the message you people send out to the world (not on purpose I presume).
By not trying to understand other cultures, or at least it seems that way, you send the message that you feal superior to the rest of the world and you are alieanating yourselves from it.
I don't think there are a lot of people, next to Tony Blair, in Europe ( or any other place) that agree with your police on 'terrorism'... You see not every muslim is a terrorist, in fact the islam doesn't even encourage it. They are disgusted of suicide bombings for instace, because as the christians they believe suicide is a mortal sin and you will go to hell for it. Every suicide muslim isn't a muslim anymore for them...

I am not trying to control the way you behave, but I am giving you the advice to open your eyes to the rest of the world, and the people in your own country... Because even though they're not american, you will still have to live with them...

EDIT: it might all seem a bit chaotic, but I'm kind of... passiontate now and am writing what ever comes to my mind...:hammer  

A White Dress...
Stained with red droplets...
She was so beautifull...

CD

Edited by: Thom at: 9/8/05 20:13
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Dalá'isyrás
Mini-mod

High Elf, Kaýrrhem

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 04:00:22 AM »

Quote:
You people are so ignorant!!!

Now that is a direct insult

Watch it Thom.  

Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Thom
New Santharian

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2005, 05:01:22 AM »

You shouldn't feel insulted, you choose to be insulted, to use your words...

I find the things said here insulting... You didn't hear me about that...

A White Dress...
She was so beautifull...

CD

Erián'melór
The Shadow of Death
Approved Character

Elf, Injerín

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2005, 05:05:22 AM »

Um...Thom, you're walking on thin ice. Arguing with an admin is like strapping raw meat to your torso, walking into the forest, and telling the bear that it won't maul you.:lol  The end result just isn't pretty.

The sun falls from the evening sky,
this life I cannot abide.
The eternal night draws nigh,
I seek the loving embrace of my lost bride.

Thom
New Santharian

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2005, 05:14:22 AM »

Not trying to be insulting admins...
Just saying what I think of it, explained the ignorant thing a bit...

But it was hypocrit what she said...  sorry

A White Dress...
She was so beautifull...

CD

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]