Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Nyermersys - {HB} Docks  (Read 13785 times)
Captain Jarrl
Gentleman of Fortune
Approved Character

Human, Avennorian

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2007, 03:47:32 AM »

Standing up straight, Jarrl had to resist the urge to draw his cutlass on the sailor. Thankfully he was mistaken for a captain. Which was only half true. Quickly he assumed the role. "Your mistake sailor. Carry on," he said sternly. "Don't let it happen again," Jarrl added quietly.

Glancing only a moment at the bottle they were drinking out of, Jarrl turned his attention back to the crates. Seeing the fish ooze out of one of them, he drew his cutlass and began to poke at it. Straightening up, Jarrl turned back to one of the sailors. "What've ye got here?"

"Me, I'm dishonest. And a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest."

Kelancey the Green
White Nehtorian/Dalorin
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

Homepage
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2007, 04:23:08 AM »

"Mmph, eh, wot?" says the lummock of a sailor who's been struggling the hardest of the four to erect the lifting pulley contraption.  "We was told not to let anyone touch 'is preshus cargo.  'E says it's fer, uh, mm, me posterior's sake."

"Posterity, Grummot!  Get it right!  Forget it.  What're you tellin' 'im for, anyway?  Say, 'ere, you wants to know more, it'll cost ya."  This one, with skin which looks older and drier than the salt of the Aelyvian Sea, and an even drier raspy voice, crosses his arms and raises one eyebrow.  He bobbles from one side to another, trying to steady himself after the last dozen swigs or so.

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."  --Master Yoda
Kelancey the Green
Captain Jarrl
Gentleman of Fortune
Approved Character

Human, Avennorian

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2007, 04:48:50 AM »

Smiling, Jarrl reached under his leather vest as if he was looking for something. He was actually biding time, and grimacing inwardly. Of course they'd want money. Stupid sailors.

Finally his hand left his coat, then reached for the bottle. He took a couple swigs, then gave the bottle back. Shrugging, he pulled a nice, shiny ring off of his finger and held it out to the drunk sailor. "This do?"

Kelancey the Green
White Nehtorian/Dalorin
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

Homepage
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2007, 05:13:35 AM »

Quallo, the stick of a man you show your ring to, eyes you suspiciously before taking your ring in his hand.  He rolls it between his fingers a little, watches it glint in the morning sun, and "harumphs" to himself with contentment.  "Olright, you c'n 'ave a look-see, but don' touch anyt'ing, and you'll 'ave to get out when I says so.  An' if anyone asks, you neva' spoke to me."

With that, he turns his back to you, and postures as if he is accomplishing something assembling the lifting contraption.

The ship, Maiden Voyage as it says at the helm in stripped-away paint, is secured to the dock.  The hull is otherwise in good repair, and has only a few barnacles attached.  The gangplank is down, allowing crewmates to porter smaller crates and chests down to the dock.  From your vantage point on the dock, you can see a large opening to the ship's hold below deck, though a tarp is obstructing your view of anything below.  You can hear water sloshing down below, but cannot perceive anything further.

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."  --Master Yoda
Kelancey the Green
Captain Jarrl
Gentleman of Fortune
Approved Character

Human, Avennorian

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2007, 07:36:49 AM »

Holding his breath, Jarrl waited for the sailor to accept the ring. He really, really didn't want to bribe him with money. It was either that, or force the man to let him on. That probably wouldn't be successful, nor was it a very good idea, but it sounded better to Jarrl than losing money.

Thankfully he didn't have to worry about that. The man accepted the ring, and Jarrl let out the breath he was holding. Stapling his figures, he bowed at the man. "Pleasure doing business with ye, stranger," he said, walking to the gangplank. On his way, he let uttered something less polite under his breath.

Glancing about, Jarrl crossed the gangplank and made his way down below. He squinted his eyes, trying to see inside, no longer smelling the fresh air. Jarrl began snooping around, trying to see what was below in the hold.

Hylphán
Venturer
Approved Character

Half-Elf, Avennorian/ Arthyron

Homepage
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2007, 01:36:03 PM »

Hylphán led his horse, Redwing, from his stall belowdecks and headed across the main deck.  Near the gangplank he saw the captain, Garrion, paying off a group of sailors as they prepared to disembark.  As the sailors started down the gangplank, Garrion spotted Hylphán and motioned him closer. "Hylphán, I hate to see you leave here", Garrion said.  "Good hands are hard to find, especially sailors with your experience", he continued, shaking his head.  "I wish you would reconsider, and continue on with the ship."  "I would definitely make it worth your while!" he added anxiously.  Hylphán saw the question on Garrion's face, but shaking his head, he said "Garrion, I appreciate the offer to work with such a captain as yourself, but I must move on."  "The open road calls to me on the wind, and I must hearken its call."  "Thank you captain for your kindness."  As Hylphán started to leave, Garrion laid a hand on his sleeve and said "Wait Hylphán, you forget something."  As Hylphán gave him a questioning look, Garrion handed him a pouch that clinked with the sound of coins.  Hylphán said "I thought I was working this voyage in exchange for passage for my horse and myself."  Garrion waved a hand and said "Keep it, you worked harder than any two sailors I had."  "You deserve your fair share of the profits from this trip."  "If you change your mind, I will be here for two more days."  With that, Garrion turned and walked towards the cargo hold, yelling at several sailors there.  Hylphán turned and led Redwing down the narrow gangplank and on to the bustling pier.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 01:07:54 PM by Hylphán » Logged

Fair winds and following seas till our paths cross again.

Hylphán's CD
Arin Woodwealth
White Nehtorian
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2007, 05:44:56 PM »

Looking down into the hold, at the thrashing water, you see a large fin poke up from the water, a dull blue-grey. Immediately after this sighting, the whole beast leaps from the water, and flips itself around in it's tank. Great razor teeth, inlaid eyes, and small slits on the side of it's head. Four and a half peds long, this beast is a monstrous killing machine! Nothing would get in the way of this beast, if you were lost at sea. You try to think what it is, remembering through all the tales you have heard. Then it dawns upon you, that you are not in the best position right now. It's a live, angry, probably hungry, Ancythrian Shark. A horrific smile bobs out of the water, a mouth filled with sharp, unforgiving teeth. The smile moves towards you, and suddenly jumps up towards you. The shark can't quite make the leap, but you stumble, and begin to fall into the tank.

Thankfully, Quallo grabs your arm just in time, to save you from being a meal.
"Now go! An' don' say anyfing to anyone, ye hear?"
He begins to push you away from the tank, and out onto the docks again. A live Ancythrian shark! Surely this should be reported to the guard! Then again, the lucrative trade of live sharks pays well.

Captain Jarrl
Gentleman of Fortune
Approved Character

Human, Avennorian

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2007, 03:50:45 AM »

Reaching the docks, Jarrl leaned hard against a small pillar, breathing in deeply the moist morning air. An Ancythrian shark! That would explain the water noises he had heard, not to mention the talk of dangerous cargo. But Jarrl hadn't guessed it would have been that. He'd seen one only once before, dead, and he never wished to see one live.

His first instinct was to report it to the guards. Jarrl had no love for them, but this thing was obviously too big (not to mention to dangerous) to steal. With luck, they might even give him some kind of reward. Maybe. Or he might be lucky if they gave him a thank you.

But part of him wanted to gather more information. Actually a large part of him did. There was big money in the business these people were in. True, there was a large amount of danger, but there were some rich people willing to pay large sums of money to get these sharks. Large sums that Jarrl wouldn't mind being a part of. Standing straight up, Jarrl inched over to where Quallo was. "Your...employer must have a lot of money on his hands, eh?"

Arin Woodwealth
White Nehtorian
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2007, 01:12:45 AM »

Quallo turns to answer you, a slight touch of anger on his face.
And ye'd be wantin' t' know this why? To git yer hands on our money? He turns away, then back again. Actually...maybe you could be of some use. But our...employer told us not to say owt. Nuthin'. Ever. Though with another little "Gift" we could let somethin' slip from our tongues..." 
He winks at you, and smiles, holding out, waiting for some sort of payment.
"C'mon lad, hurry up. I gotta shark t' move!"

Captain Jarrl
Gentleman of Fortune
Approved Character

Human, Avennorian

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2007, 11:43:51 AM »

Jarrl reached into a pocket and pullled out a few coins, not missing a beat. He was expecting that, but he let out a small sigh anyway. Bloody, greedy smugglers, stealing all me loot...

"Now, friend," he said, placing an arm on Quallo's shoulder and leaning in close. "You were saying?"

Arin Woodwealth
White Nehtorian
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2007, 12:43:19 AM »

Quallo smiles, and takes the coins from you, placing them in a moneypouch strapped to his belt.
"Well m'friend, We've b'n 'ired by none uvver than Fher Ghonni, the Knee On-my-senses."
Hearing this another sailor jumps in, to say
"Nigh Omniscient, Quallos"
Quallos face looks puzzled, then changes back to a smile.
"Aye, tha's it. Now I've told ya 'oo we work fer. Whaddya want to know about 'im?"
The man waits for a question from you.

Captain Jarrl
Gentleman of Fortune
Approved Character

Human, Avennorian

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2007, 11:31:20 AM »

Jarrl furrowed his brow, taking in what the sailor said. And picking through the accent. Or was the man just drunk? Didn't matter, Jarrl got the gist of what he was saying. But he wanted to know more. He only hoped it wouldn't cost more.

Finally Jarrl's eyes began to dart about, trying to see what else was around the docks. But he was still interested in this man. Fher Ghonni. "Mmmhmm..." Jarrl paused, thinking of what to ask next. "What does he do? And what does he want with that?" He said, waving towards the cargo hold.

Arin Woodwealth
White Nehtorian
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2007, 01:17:35 AM »

As the guards walk the docks, looking for anything strange, and the workers load, unload, cart goods, and slack off when the foreman isn't looking, Quallos replies.
"Well, wut 'e does is...erm...well we dunno. All we know 'bout 'im, is that 'e wants a shark. I suppose you could ask him why. He's normally in the Town centre, at 'un o' those fancyposh restr'unts. But 'e prob'ly don' want t' be disturbed. Oi, pers'nally, would jus' leave 'im alone fer know."
The sailors eyes seem to glimmer with honesty. He seems to be telling the truth. Or be experienced with the art of a word-twisting tongue.

Captain Jarrl
Gentleman of Fortune
Approved Character

Human, Avennorian

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2007, 08:18:46 AM »

"Really?" Jarrl said, his eyes glimmering in thought as he stroked his goatee. A plan was beginning to form in his head. Not the smartest, or safest of plans, but a plan nonetheless. One that Jarrl liked.

A plan that involved meeting this Fher, and there wasn't much that could dissuade him from that now. He noted the caution in the sailor's voice, but Jarrl wasn't about to listen to him. And there wasn't much going around these docks anyway. Jarrl was eager to go. There wasn't much stopping him.

Finally he made up his mind to go. If it already wasn't made up. But first there was some minor unfinished business. He turned to the sailor and pulled some strange looking coins from nowhere and held them out. "Thank ye for your time," he said, nodding. "You didn't see me?"

Hylphán
Venturer
Approved Character

Half-Elf, Avennorian/ Arthyron

Homepage
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2007, 04:54:26 PM »

As Hylphán walked away from the ship and towards the gate into the city, he slowed and took in the hustle and bustle going on around him.  It had been a while since he had worked the ships, but watching the appearance of mayham on the docks brought back many memories of good friends, exotic ports and the comraderie of shipmates.  He pulled himself from his reverie, and started briskly towards the city.  "I hope the guards aren't the same obnoxious dolts that were here last time" he said under his breath.  "I definitely don't want any hassles today, just a bath and a hot meal" he continued, to no one in particular. "I wonder if that inn that I stayed at last time is still there?" he thought.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 04:55:25 PM by Hylphán » Logged

Fair winds and following seas till our paths cross again.

Hylphán's CD
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]