Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Market Street (Nyermersys)  (Read 5826 times)
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« on: April 05, 2007, 11:43:05 PM »

As you walk farther into the city following the main road you begin to hear merchants and farmers hawking their goods to the passerbyer's.  In the distance you see booths set up with many varied things for sale from food from farmers to brightly colored cloths from cities and countries all over Caelereth.  If you have the money, you can usually find someone willing to take it from you, whether it be honest or dishonest, as many a pickpocket also roam this area.
patt0192
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 09:15:57 AM »

Jiro emerged with such prominence that it scared an old lady who was scuffling by with a cane. He had just re-emerged from the labrynth that was the alleyways of Nyermersis. He emerged, not draped in his cloak, but with regular everyday street clothing. His light Cyhalloian padded clothing would not work at all for the remainder of his mission. He instead, 'commandered' some so-called "peasant clothing" from a poor unfortunate soul who had happened to be wandering down a side alley. The man had brown shorts with a lighter, white colored shirt that had been ripped from daily chores and tainted brownish tan from the dusty streets. In his hand, he nonchalantly carried the peasants coat, which was bundled up, concieling his moonblade.

He stepped out into the streets and watched the bustling activity of the marketplace. His ears were flooded with load voices, calling for prices, men and women arguing, children playing, and dogs barking. The scene before him was as colorful as a city like Nyermersis can be.

He walked out into the crowds of people jostling their way to their next location. Jiro quickly adopted a slouch, and fit in with the local laborers quite well. His brown skin tone made him the least likely person to have a concealed weapon from the Kar'ii hidden within the folds of his cloak.

There were so many people in the main street, that it was hard for Jiro to discern which of those could possibly be of use to him. He did not plan on killing anyone, but his plans could, as they often did, change in a hurry.

He saw a less popular shop towards the outer rim of the marketplace, away from the concentration of people. It would be better to work his way in from the outside. Besides, if the old hag had actually visited the marketplace, she'd be more likely to get away from the crowd. Old people never liked loud noises and people jostling them.

He cut through the crowd and angled his approach towards the shop, making some long stops to glance at other merchants wares. Once he was out of the commotion, he slipped inside the doorway.

The inside of the shop was warmer than the outside, the air hung thick, and it seemed shady... shadier than many of the other shops. It also smelled... smelled like plants. It was an apothecary. Dozens of dried plants were hung all around him, and the shelves were filled with strange things.

The merchant he saw was a portly man. The apothecary seemed lazy, almost hanging onto the counter.

"You there!" said Jiro, "I want to ask you a few questions!"
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 02:06:31 AM »

Ibrahiam swept his hazel eyes over the young man.  He casually pushed himself off the counter and waddled over. "Ask away. Whether I answer or not will depend upon how you ask the question and right now with your demanding tone of voice I am not inclined to answer much. Unless of course your here to ask about herbs, but I doubt that. You do not look like a healer to me."
patt0192
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 09:32:26 AM »

Jiro's eyes slitted and the corner of his mouth twitched. He resisted whatever urges he had in mind against the shopkeeper before smiling brilliantly and speaking with much flourish;
"My apologies, good man, for my tone of agravation. Marketplaces are quite crowded and I do not enjoy the commotion of it at all."

He wiped his sweat covered brow before speaking once more.
"I am, in fact, here to find a very dear friend of mine. She is actually, a close friend of my dying aunt, and I would like for her to be present when her time comes. Her name is Simonne. Simonne Miller, in fact. Do you have any idea of the whereabouts of this woman?"
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 02:16:55 AM »

Ibrahaim's eyes opened wide as he heard the young man speak.  The young man's tone changed drastically. His apology with the explanation was acceptable and when he told Ibrahaim the tale of his aunt he felt sad for the young man. 

"Yes, I know of Lady Simonne.  She is very well known in these parts, her and Master Petrie, he is the head healer or rather was, until Baltizar usurped him. Anyway, they were quite a pair. They could heal the simplest of maladies to the deadliest of wounds.  They were a large part of healing most of us during the plague that swept through the land before you were born I assume. she left shortly after that and had not been seen for many years, until just a few days ago. A friend of mine told me that he thought he had seen her in Brok's.  My advice is to head there and see if she is still there."

He paused, scratching his belly, gazing at the young boy. A thought ran through his head that perhaps this young man was not whom he appeared to be and he may have put Lady Simonne in danger. "I know most of the people in these here parts. What did you say your name was and who is your aunt?"

OOC, Jiro I want you to be creative and kill this man, but make it look like either an accident or something else, anything except a quick cut of the throat.  I mean you could do that, if you wish, but then try and disguise the killing. OK?
patt0192
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 07:07:28 AM »

Jiro smiled, as he was victorious in finding a lead on the woman Molek had described to him. The man, however, was getting dangerously close to suspicion, and that just would not do.

"My name is Grabir. You wouldn't know my aunt, unfortunately, for she has been a recluse in these late years of her life, and she makes no contact with the outside world. You may have seen her servants running errands around here, though."

As he said this, he tapped his toe against the countertop, which was more of a table with one solid side. The counter wobbled, as Jiro had calculated, and a small vial of something rolled off the counter onto the floor.

"Damn!" The man yelled in surprised as the glass vial shattered. He had not noticed Jiro touch the counter. He bent down to scrape together the pieces.

Jiro quickly tapped something from his hand into the man's glass of water, before tucking the item back into his pants.

The apothecary scraped together the glass and tossed it into a garbage bin.
"My apologies," he said, slightly red with the effort it had caused him, "I've done that twice already in the past few days."

As he said this, he took a swig of his drink.

The corner of Jiro's mouth twitched as he turned on his heel, saying, "Good day," over his shoulder.

The man began sputtering and clutching his throat, twisting about and knocking many more glass vials out of their holders and across the floor. His face turned blue as he fell and began thrashing behind the counter.

Jiro said nothing as he swept through the threshold.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 07:10:55 AM by Jiro » Logged
Petros Greenvale
Musical Mage
Approved Character

Elf, Aellenrhim

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 07:43:07 AM »

As the two mules clip-clopped down the wide maket street, Petros glanced at all the empty stalls that lined the silent street. This suddeny made the elf very thankful that he had arrived in this cold city during the early hours, as he surley wouldnt squeeze two mules and a cart through the bustling, bartering rabble.

Heeding the directions that he quickly scrawled upon his large hand, Petros was nearing his destination, and began to feel a little excited at what business prospects would lay before him. A few tens of peds later, Petros scanned across the writing in his hand, then squinted at the buildings to his right hand side, halting the mules while doing so. According to his rugged directions, he had arrived outside his new store. The sight that lay before him made Petros giggle to himself not out of displeasement with his building facade, but by the various images of his finished preparations with the building.

When he said small, Petros didn’t think that Eldina would take the word so seriously. The building before him was a tiny yet cosy, tatty, two story wooden square, topped off with an untidy thatch roof that looked like it had faced several hundred winters. Luscious vines and honeysuckle crept up its sides, adding a quaint feel to the wooden building. Petros’s new shop was nestled in neatly between two much larger stone buildings that dwarfed their wooden neighbour. Two narrow alleyways separated his cosy shops from the giants, but because the front façade was north facing, their dark shadows did not blanket over the tiny shop. It had quite a lot of windows for a building of its stature, allowing the morning sun to trickle through the small square panes. Next to the small green door was a large dusty and grimy window that spanned the rest of its front face, the dirty shingle pinned just above its frame.

Petros cringed as he imagined the mass of back breaking hours of cleaning that awaited him, in order to have the place spic and span. He dismounted from the wagon, and began to edge towards the small door, key in hand. A rush of excitement filled the elf once more.

___________"In the pursuit of happiness,___________
 the difficulty lies in knowing when you have caught up."

Petros Greenvale
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 08:36:27 PM »

Han was awake making himself a cup of hot tea when he heard the clip-clop of hooves upon the cobble stone street. He looked out of his window and was surprised when he saw a wagon pulled by two mules, driven by what looked liked a boy but then realized the driver was just a average builded man, much like himself, perhaps a bit smaller as he watched the man, get off his wagon and head toward that run down building between his and Mac's.  He watched until the man disappeared from sight.

Curiousity got the better of him, and he quickly dresssed in his usual light brown pants, shirt, leather smock, and heavy soled boots. He kissed his wife, Kate, who just murmurred and went back to sleep; swiping a comb threw his dark brown hair. He threw on a thick cloak, grabbed his tea cup and went downstairs and outside.

The crisp air was refreshing and he took a deep breath, before taking a sip of his tea to warm up his throat. He went over to the wagon and peered with large dark brown eyes curiously at the tarp and wondered what was beneath it. He turned and saw that the door to the building was open. He casuallywalked over and knocked on the door frame. "Anyone here?" He asked.
Petros Greenvale
Musical Mage
Approved Character

Elf, Aellenrhim

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 05:59:54 AM »

Petros thrust the rusty key into the dark expanses that were the lock to his new store. With much difficulty, he fully rotated the key, resulting in a large clunk to resonate through the bare shop. With a great sense of anticiapation lurking over him, the elf slowly creaked open the door, allowing light to blast into the dark abyss. As he stepped inside the old building Petros's lungs were greeted by masses of dust that invisibly filled the room, the only detectable specimens danced gracefully upon the trickles of light that forced themselves through the crack in the door. As he coughed and spluttered, Petros began to examine his shops innards with great intricacy. Although very small, there was more than enough room for him to conduct his buisness, and the plain walls didnt look that they were about to cave in anytime soon, so Petros was rather pleased with his investment.

Just adjacent to the counter was a small set of spiral stairs, that presumably led to his place of residence. He quickly dashed over to and up the small yet near vertical staircase, his large feet causing the wooden flooring to creak wildly. Once the mage had acended to his new home, his face fell in disdainment. His apartment was exactly the same shape and size as the shop below, there wasnt even a parting or wall to divide it up, just one small open plan mass. One thing did make Petros very gleefull however, the sheer number of windows. There were atleast four large "light portals" on each of the buildings faces, resulting in the room to be illuminated by a large pallet of light intesitys, filling it to the brim with a happy and cozy atmosphere. His frown rapidly turnig to a wide grin, the young elf began to skip around his dusty residence in a very childish manner, smiling as the array of light beams warmed his pale face.

Content and rather tired, Petros ceased his infantile antics, and clomped down the old stairs once more. He deliberatley missed the last few steps, and jumped onto the downstairs flooring in happiness at his light filled home. Now in a more serious mood, Petros ran a slender finger over the counter, leaving a dust trough at least 4 grains thick in its wake. The Aellenrhim sighed and thought it best that he gather the cleaning utensils that he wisely brought with him and hopefully he could have thi place habbitable by nightfall. Suddenly, a dark sillouhette appeared in the light filled doorway, chapping at its frame. "Is anyone there?" the stranger said, clearly a male. Petros was slightly taken aback by this randommer, and with widened eyes replied inconfidently..

"Um..Yes...You may enter if you wish...but on your lungs health be it!"

Petros Greenvale
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 01:26:24 AM »

Han heard a diminutive answer to his question.

Um..Yes...You may enter if you wish...but on your lungs health be it!"

Strange way of talking Han thought as he entered the small empty shop.  He saw the young man standing near the old counter, what light there was flickered over his features. "Hi neighbor, name is Han, Han Johanassen, but just call me Han. Did you actually buy this place? Han asked, looking around. He was still surprised the old place was still standing. 
Petros Greenvale
Musical Mage
Approved Character

Elf, Aellenrhim

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 08:40:14 AM »

"Hi neighbour, name is Han, Han Johanassen, but just call me Han. Did you actually buy this place?"

His new neighbour Hal stepped away from his illuminated backround, allowing Petros to analyse his features.

"Hello Han very nice to make your aquaintance!And yep i actually bought it! and although its rather decrepit, minute and plain, im delighted with it!...Oh Eyasha help me, i havent even introduced myself yet" The elf then extended a large welcoming hand to his new neighbour. As his brain toyed over the mans name, knowing that it had encountered it previously...suddenly something inside the mage clicked, and his registration process with Eldina rushed into his head. "Sorry if im prying, but are you Hal the carpenter by any chance?...If so i would be in the highest realm of delight if you would lend me your skills, i have a few items that need a maker, and a few coins that need a spender!" Petros grinned exteriorly, but inside he was deeply frightened by the fact that he may have overstepped his strangerly boundries.

Petros Greenvale
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 09:04:59 PM »

Han took the offered hand, and was a bit surprised that for an elf, the youngster had a pretty large hand, larger than his own.  "Yeah, it has been sitting empty for over a year," Han said as he looked around the place. When he heard the mention of him being a carpenter and that the elf would need some carpentry done, he smiled. "Yes I am a carpenter. I assume Eldina told you. Did she tell you of your other neighbor? His name is Mac, same last name, a cousin of mine. He is a brick layer. If'n you have coins that are burning a hole in your pocket I and Mac would gladly help out such a neighbor, but it is customary around here to introduce one's self. I told you my name, but you did not tell me yours. That could be considered rude, however since your an elf, and I do not know that many elves, perhaps your culture is different. But if you want to do buisness here, you probably should adopt our culture and practices. Just some friendly advice, one neighbor to another.  By the way, what kind of buisness are you in?" Han asked.
Petros Greenvale
Musical Mage
Approved Character

Elf, Aellenrhim

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 07:49:36 AM »

"Yes I am a carpenter. I assume Eldina told you. Did she tell you of your other neighbor? His name is Mac, same last name, a cousin of mine. He is a brick layer. If'n you have coins that are burning a hole in your pocket I and Mac would gladly help out such a neighbor, but it is customary around here to introduce one's self. I told you my name, but you did not tell me yours. That could be considered rude, however since your an elf, and I do not know that many elves, perhaps your culture is different. But if you want to do buisness here, you probably should adopt our culture and practices. Just some friendly advice, one neighbor to another.  By the way, what kind of buisness are you in?"

Petros slapped himself inwardly, for he did intend to introduce himself to his new Neihbour, but got caught up in his furniture orientated musings instead.

"Oh i do apologize fair Han! you can blame my years at Bardavos for my bad manners" Petros giggled "I am Petros Greenvale of the Bolder forest. And i am most appreciative of your noble help, and when you are in a mood to construct something, give me a wee holler and that would be grand, i may also need the talents of your cousin as well, so ill keep his name to mind." As Hans elven comment sank in, the Aellenrhim laughed heartily, a smile beaming across his face."You make us out to be savages neighbour! and although we may have strangely slender builds and sharper ears to you humans, we can abide by proper etiquette!!" He chuckled, lifting the side of his shaggy ginger mane, revealing his large pointy ears. "And i wouldnt call it a buisness, but music is my sole talent...i couldnt distinguish a chisel from a fork!"

Petros Greenvale
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 09:21:36 PM »

Han chuckled, "I would not call myself fair Han, that type of language is meant for women folk, unless you mean that I am fair in my buisness practices and the way I treat my neighbors, then I understand. Anyway, it is nice to meet you Petros," Han said, holding out a slim hand with slender fingers, much like Petros's.

As Han waited for Petros to take his hand he put his ohter hand upon the counter and his eyes swept over the place. "I can build you a better counter and I can see your window frames need fixing. If you want me to I could look over the frame structure of the place and give you my opinion.  Mac and I discovered a while back that for our places of buisness and living quarters to survive the harsh winters, and the heat of summer, was to tear down our wooden places and then build brick ones, but that will be up to you of course."

Han paused as he listened to Petros tell of his people and then what he did. Han laughed, "I did not mean to imply that your people were savages, I just do not know your culture's that is all. So you are a musician?" Han asked to change the subject. "My wife Kate has wanted to learn how to play the Harp. Perhaps we can do a bit of bartering; you teach my wife the harp, and I build you a new counter.  Versachi, the head musician of Queprur's temple is always looking for good musicians and instuments, but I am sure Eldina already told you about that as well."
Petros Greenvale
Musical Mage
Approved Character

Elf, Aellenrhim

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 06:34:45 AM »

"I would not call myself fair Han, that type of language is meant for women folk, unless you mean that I am fair in my buisness practices and the way I treat my neighbors, then I understand. Anyway, it is nice to meet you Petros," Han then extended a welcoming hand. Which Petros grasped, and shook rather feebily for aman of his size.

"Oh im sorry Han, ive just calling one "fair" has become a bit of a habit of mine, wether the recipient is fair or otherwise! If i have offended, I apologize..."

Han continued...

"I can build you a better counter and I can see your window frames need fixing. If you want me to I could look over the frame structure of the place and give you my opinion.  Mac and I discovered a while back that for our places of buisness and living quarters to survive the harsh winters, and the heat of summer, was to tear down our wooden places and then build brick ones, but that will be up to you of course."

Petros was awestruck at the genorosity of this near stranger...He was beggining to warm up to this cold place...

"Oh Han, that is so very nice of you and this humble elf thanks you from the bottom of his heart! but im sure i could bleed a few more months out of this old thing...But the window frames sound like a jolly good idea! Also, I wouldnt dream of knocking this old place down! of the few minutes that i have been within its unstable walls, i have grown rather attached to this old place!" Petros giggled slightly and glanced lovingly  around the innards of the tiny shop.

"My wife Kate has wanted to learn how to play the Harp. Perhaps we can do a bit of bartering; you teach my wife the harp, and I build you a new counter.  Versachi, the head musician of Queprur's temple is always looking for good musicians and instuments, but I am sure Eldina already told you about that as well."

"Oh, a counter seems like such a great endeavour, compared to something that i LOVE to do...ill gladly give your wife lessons, and a lovely wee harp to practice on if...you construct me some windowboxes...Sound fair? And by the way Han, i would offer my musical services windowboxes or not, I just love to Teach!"

Petros Greenvale
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]