Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Market Street (Nyermersys)  (Read 5825 times)
Capher
Cleric
Story Mod

Dragon

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 09:44:46 PM »

Han frowned, "Petros, your friendly manner will get you many customers, of that I am sure. However, never give your services away for free, even if you love it. I love carpentry, its been in my family's blood for generations, but we never gave our services away for free! Barter, yes, payments, yes, but not free! Besides, if the buisness counsil ever found out you were giving your services away for free, they would strip you of your license and probably throw you out of the city; head over heels. Just some more friendly advice. I would hate to have a neighbor of mine, who I am beginning to like, thrown out of the city."

He gave Petros a smile, and then went and looked at the window frames, he also went and pounded upon the main timbers that held up the place. Dust flew everywhere, and he sneezed. "Window frames, are bit rotten, but I can replace those easily with good wood. I can make your window boxes as well, I assume you will paint them yourself, and Kate would probably love to help you decorate your place, as well as put dirt and flowers in your window boxes. She also paints."

He paused as he sneezed again, "Blasted dust!," he exclaimed, He grinned at Petros again, "Sorry, I do not mind wood dust, but old, moldy dust just irritates me. Where was I? Oh yes, your frames are solid, which surprises me, but they are good, some of your walls will need replacing, I can do that as well. your fireplace needs some brick work done, or else the first time you start a fire you will burn your place down, Mac can take care of that. I will go and talk to him and then I will introduce you to him. You and him can discuss terms of payment, other than that, I can see no other structural problems.  You know," he said as he looked at the place and the beamed ceiling, "I can see why you like this place, though it is small, it does have a quaint feel to it. That is what Kate would say. But I agree with her."

He began to walk toward the door, turned around, "After I go talk with Mac, if you need help unloading your wagon I am sure his sons will help. Their names are Chris and Mac jr, they are twins, and ten years of age; perhaps they would like to learn an instrument, I do not know, but you can always ask. Do you have any questions before I go talk to Mac?" Han asked.
Cherri Rowandyn
Elemental Mage
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim / Ylfferhim / Sanhorrhim

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2007, 06:20:36 AM »

Dia walked along with cloak huddled close to her for warmth.  The snow was melting quickly under the warmth of the sun and the more Dia walked the warmer she became.  Her boots crunched the snow beneath them leaving her footprints to mingle with so many others in the snow.

Vendors shouted their wares and children laughed and played darting in and out of the Market Street enjoying their games.  Dia wondered if she would see Manik again.

Dia stopped and fingered cloth one vendor had and then absently moved on.  She needed to find another line of work.  Something where she wouldn't be pawed at by half drunk sailors or merchants.

Dia's mind drifted back to when she had briefly met the Lord and wondered if he was like so many of the men that flooded the Taverns.  The only difference was he was more refined in his cohersement.

Dia entered a shop of a dress maker and inquired if she had any positions available.  After talking with the woman for a brief moment Dia was informed that she had already hired a young girl for an assistant, but if she didn't work out she would try to let Dia know.

With a courteous smile and bob of her head, Dia ventured back out into the sunny day and continued on her quest for new employment.

Cherri Rowandyn
Keep your friends close; keep your enemies closer.
Petros Greenvale
Musical Mage
Approved Character

Elf, Aellenrhim

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2007, 10:04:00 AM »

Petros giggled "Buisness council?...I aint afraid of no buisness council!" he jested "Thanks or your concern by the way, you Nyermerians are real friendly! also ill try and contain my lovley nature from now on!" the elf then gave han a broad smile.

Han then began to test out the house's foundations, displaying his vast knowledge of carpentry, while also irritating his sinuses with the vast quantity of dust that drifted out of them. "Window frames, are bit rotten, but I can replace those easily with good wood. I can make your window boxes as well, I assume you will paint them yourself, and Kate would probably love to help you decorate your place, as well as put dirt and flowers in your window boxes. She also paints."

"Oh, that would be dead nice of her! and i would love some decorative company! but as far as the boxes are concerned, i think ill fill then on my lonesome. You see gardening is like my equivelant to a social life!" Petros chuckled

Han suddenly sneezed loudly"Blasted dust!," he exclaimed, He then grinned at Petros "Sorry, I do not mind wood dust, but old, moldy dust just irritates me. Where was I? Oh yes, your frames are solid, which surprises me, but they are good, some of your walls will need replacing, I can do that as well. your fireplace needs some brick work done, or else the first time you start a fire you will burn your place down, Mac can take care of that. I will go and talk to him and then I will introduce you to him. You and him can discuss terms of payment, other than that, I can see no other structural problems.  You know,I can see why you like this place, though it is small, it does have a quaint feel to it. That is what Kate would say. But I agree with her."

"Eyasha bless you!" Petros stated instinctivley and rather politley. "Well if thats what you think is best...And your wife sounds like a really cultured and smart woman, can't wait to meet her!"Petros said cheerily.

Han began to walk toward the door, turned around, "After I go talk with Mac, if you need help unloading your wagon I am sure his sons will help. Their names are Chris and Mac jr, they are twins, and ten years of age; perhaps they would like to learn an instrument, I do not know, but you can always ask. Do you have any questions before I go talk to Mac?" Han asked.

"Nope!" The bard shouted as the carpenter melted into the illuminated street.

___________"In the pursuit of happiness,___________
 the difficulty lies in knowing when you have caught up."

Petros Greenvale
Yurie Yileen
Walker of Dreams
Mini-mod

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 01:53:54 AM »

Yurie walked quickly, with a spring in his step.  The streets were becoming busier, with the townsfolk going about their daily tasks.  The snow underfoot had been well and truly trampled and melted, leaving behind a muddy slush.

Before long, he had reached the market area.  There were throngs of people bustling about, and stall holders shouting out the prices of their wares.

The sheer volume of people in cities always affected Yurie.  Sometimes he liked it, and other times he hated it.  Right now, he loved it!  He hadn't been in a big city for a while, and the variety of sights, smells and sounds made a nice contrast to the quiet, snow covered lands that he had been travelling through.

He looked around, trying to find a suitable place to play his flute.  The ideal location would be somewhere near a busy food stall, as it was nearly time for people to have lunch.

It didn't take him long to find what he was searching for.  There was an empty table standing next to a stall that seemed to be doing a good trade in selling hot potatoes.  The smell made his stomach rumble, but he knew that if he had something to eat before playing then his sound would suffer.  He could never play well with a full stomach.

Making his way over to the empty stall, Yurie unslung his bow and arrows, placing them carefully onto the table, along with his spear.  Then he took off his hat.  It felt nice to feel the cool breeze ruffle his hair.  After placing his hat in a prominent position, he put a few of his own coins into it, just so that they get the idea!

Barega jumped off Yurie's shoulder and found an empty beam above the stall to perch on.

Yurie took off his gloves and placed them next to his hat.  Then he took his flute out of his pocket.

He mentally thanked his friends for teaching him how to play, and the Wat'a'kan for giving him the means to play, before lifting the flute to his lips.

He looked around before beginning.  With all of the activity going on, he would have to play a bright, fast paced tune.  That would be the best way to get the peoples' attention; as well as their money!

Remembering the tune that he had already played for John earlier, Yurie decided that it would fit the mood here, too.  Once again, he closed his eyes and allowed the melody to leap from his heart, embracing the market around him with its warm cadences.

Soon, the sound of metal chinking against metal made Yurie open his eyes.  A short woman with long black hair and a large nose was smiling at him.  He gave her a slight bow in thanks as he continued his musical journey.  She nodded her head in response before continuing on her own way.

Looking around, Yurie could see that a number of people had noticed his playing; either consciously or not.  Some were looking over at him, whilst others were unconsciously following his rhythm, their steps matched to it or an idle hand absent mindedly tapping out the beat.

Yurie's tune swelled like the happiness in his breast.  He loved playing music; and it always made him feel good to play to those who could appreciate it.

A few more people placed coins into his hat, and each one received a nod of thanks.

A small group of idlers had formed a short distance away.  Some obviously had nothing better to do, and others were eating their lunch.

Seeing this as an opportune moment, Yurie bought his first tune to an end.  A couple of people clapped, but most just carried on eating and talking.

Yurie made an elaborate bow and then addressed the market in general.

"Greetings to you all, good people of Nyermersys!  My name is Yurie Yileen and I have travelled here from far away.  I play for you on this fine day, and hope that I can brighten your moods and bring merriment to your lives!"

Then he motioned to the still mostly empty hat and continued.

"If you appreciate what I play, or just find me to be a handsome fella, then please don't be shy to drop a coin or two...or several...into my hat here.  I know its furry, but I promise you that it won't bite!" A few people smiled and a few heckled him to stop talking and to start playing.  He bowed once again, and then shouted, "For anybody who likes a dance, here's a fine old reel from back home!  My home!  A true country song!"

A few people whistled their appreciation as Yurie blasted out the start of his reel.  It began fast, and very quickly picked up the tempo to hammer along at a blistering pace.

One man grabbed the woman he was standing next to and swept her into a dance.  The steps were different to what Yurie was used to seeing, but there was no doubting that here was a country dance from the local area.  The couple looked like country folk, too.  Their clothes were old and worn and their faces tanned to be a dark brown.  Their dancing inspired Yurie to play harder, and some of the onlookers started to clap along with the basic beat.

Yurie felt his inner smile grow again.  Here he was, a complete stranger to this town, but he had made a connection with these people through his music.  That was what Yurie really loved about music: its universal appeal.

Oh, and the fact that it was making more coins jump into his hat!

Yurie Yileen
Walker of Dreams
Mini-mod

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2007, 11:31:18 PM »

After a few more songs, the small group of onlookers around Yurie had grown larger.  A few couples were dancing and many more were clapping along or whistling and shouting.  The pile of coins in his hat had got more substantial, too.

The market seemed to throb with his pulsing rhythms.  Some of the dancers had small beads of sweat forming on their foreheads, despite the cold conditions.  Maybe the warmth of Yurie's playing was melting their inhibitions?

After finishing the dance tune that he had been playing, the crowd applauded in appreciation.  Yurie bowed, a wide smile on his face.  Then, just as he was going to address the gathered people once more, he was interrupted by a man ringing a bell.

"Hear ye!  Hear ye!"  he cried.  "It's eleven bells and all is well.  The Earl has ordered that all business owners and leaders meet at the castle at twelve bells!"

A sea of excited voices rose to fill the silence that had been left in the wake of his announcement.  Suddenly, Yurie was forgotten; just another stranger in a big city.  Deciding that he wouldn't be able to shout over the newly risen din, Yurie turned to take a closer look at his earnings.

Looks pretty good for such a short performance, he mused.  But I don't suppose I'll make much more here now; not if all the businesses close!

After he had scooped up the coins and placed them into his purse, he quickly cleaned his flute and carefully placed it back into his pocket.  Then he slung his bow and arrows back onto his shoulders and his hat onto his head.  Picking up his spear and gloves, he made his way through the animated crowd to the hot potato stand.

The woman working there had long brown hair and a face with strong features.  Not pretty, but handsome, Yurie thought as he caught her eye.

"Whad'ya want, love!"  she shouted over to him.

"One of these potatoes...and some meat!"
  Yurie shouted back.

"Okay, love!"  she replied, turning to carry out his request.

Yurie leant against the stall, his eyes roving around the market.  Already some store owners were shutting their businesses and making their way down the street.  Wonder what this is all about?  Yurie thought to himself.

Just then the woman handed him his food.

"That'll be three sans," she said.

Yurie took the coins out of his purse and placed them into her hand.  Then he leant in closer and said, "Hey, sister, what d'ya reckon's going on at the castle?"

The woman fixed her eyes onto his and replied.  "Well, stranger, I don't rightly know.  Though I could have a good guess!"  She gave him a knowing smile.  If there was one thing that could be relied on anywhere, Yurie knew that it was a woman's love to gossip.

"There's been talk of war."  She said, leaving a dramatic pause before continuing.  "Well, that's what I heard, anyway."

"War!  Are you sure?"

"Well, pretty sure."

She started to talk about one of her friends who she had got the information from, but Yurie wasn't really listening.  His thoughts were racing.

If they're going to war, I wonder why John never told me?  Well, I suppose it explains why those folks wanted to dance so bad.  Guess they need a way to relieve the pressure.  But who would they go to war with, and why?

The lady had finished talking now.  She looked a little worried, and Yurie felt sorry for her.  Maybe her sons and husband would end up fighting.  Yurie didn't know much about war; but he did know that it was always the common people who got hurt.

"Well thanks for the information," he said, trying to sound cheery.  She gave him a weak smile.  "But hadn't you better get going to the castle?" he asked.

"What, me?"  She replied in shock.  Then she laughed.  "No, I'm no business owner!  I wish I were!  I just work here.  The boss will probably be on his way over there already...whilst I work my fingers to the bone!"

"Oh," Yurie said, also smiling.  "Well here's a little something for your time."  He leant over and kissed her on the cheek.  The woman laughed and said, "Hey!  You should be paying me for that!"

Just then, another customer cleared his throat.  He had been waiting to make an order.

"Okay, I'll let you get back to work."
Yurie said, before making his way back over to the empty table.

When he got there he sat down and started to eat his lunch.  It wasn't bad, but his mind wasn't really thinking about the taste.  It was too busy wondering what to do next.

Yurie Yileen
Walker of Dreams
Mini-mod

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2007, 10:09:37 PM »

Suddenly, Yurie felt the familiar feeling of having a large crow land on his left shoulder.  "Guess you've filled your belly, too." He said, as he eyed Barega's swollen stomach.  "Well," he continued, "I reckon we ought to get moving."

Having said that, Yurie started to wander down the busy street, using his spear as a kind of walking stick.

Actually, he didn't have any specific destination in mind.  He just felt like having a walk and seeing where the Wat'a'kan would lead him.

And as he walked his mind withdrew into itself.  The hustle and bustle and assorted sounds and smells of the market faded into the background.  His curiosity had been piqued.  Why was this city going to war?  He couldn't think of any obvious reason, and the mystery intrigued him.

After a while, his awareness was bought back to his surroundings.  He had wandered away from the market.  There were less people here, and maybe it was this lack of activity that had interrupted his thoughts.

The buildings here were older and the streets messier.  Yurie got the impression that he was entering a different part of town.

As he continued onwards, the streets slowly began to fill up again.  The people here seemed poorer than the other townsfolk that he had seen.  The buildings had become ramshackle and dilapidated.

Suddenly, a short, fat man with an almost bald head came shooting through a nearby door.  As the man fell over, Yurie could hear a raucous noise coming from the building.  It sounded like a lively bar.  Then, before Yurie could react, a large, muscular man stepped out into the street.  He started to shout abuse at the bald man, who had scrambled back to his feet, obviously drunk.

"And if I eva see ya 'oribble face in my place again, ya'll be pickin' up ya broken teeth with ya broken fingas!  Ya dirty scab, ya!"

The bald man looked like he was going to retaliate, but then the larger man slammed the door shut in his face.

Not wanting to get involved, Yurie continued on his way, with John's words about heading too far west echoing in his head.

Yurie smiled to himself.  Well, John, guess I just found that harbour you mentioned!  Still, reckon I'll stick around.  Seems kind of interesting...

...Glad that I stashed my purse away, though!  Wouldn't want to flash it about around here!

OOC - Yurie will continue posting on the Harbour thread...

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]