Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Arcuthra/Volkek-Oshra/Freelance Mage  (Read 5934 times)
Arcuthra
Chivalrous Orc
Approved Character

Orc, Volkek-Oshra

« on: April 14, 2007, 05:11:00 AM »

My third character, and my second attempt at a magical character...

Edits in Yellow:

Name: Arcuthra

Race: Orc

Tribe: Volkek-Oshra

Title: Chivalrous Orc

Appearance

Height: 1 Ped, 2 Fores, 3 Nailsbreadths, 2 Grains.

Weight: 2 pygges and 4 ods

Hair Colour: Brown

Eye Colour: Deep brown

Physical Appearance
Arcuthar’s bald visage, deep eyes, heavy jowls and thick brown beard are typical of his kind. Weighing in at over two pygges, he is an orc of hard, confident muscle and bearing. His thick shoulders and arms are concealed beneath his dark red robes, but even the clothing does little good in hiding the thickness of his chest from years of physical training.
Facially, he is nothing to note amongst his own kind: the same wrinkles, short nose, brown skin, beard (which he keeps trimmed short for convenience) and slightly protruding fangs; but around other races he looks somewhat intimidating, and in battle, he looks nothing short of fierce.
His left hand might draw some attention: it is missing all but the thumb and forefinger. A disability he has long since learned to overcome, but it has nevertheless forced him to go through life with only one good hand: handling delicate objects is a challenge, wielding a weapon with both hands is almost impossible, lifting heavy weights is sometimes a great obstacle. But he has managed.

Clothing
Under most conditions, Arcuthra wears his traditional red robe and hood typical of his people. In battle or when preparing for it, over his light underclothing, Arcuthra wears a thin gambeson and a leather jerkin made of boar hide; over this he wears a chain mail shirt, then his breeches and shirt over which hangs his gold fire medallion, and a dark red robe overall with the hood typically drawn up. The casual observer, they may not realize he is armored, but to the more experienced eye the protection might be visible.
He keeps a change of clothing with him: a dark brown robe and clothes, almost black, and a second dark red robe. The first is for traveling or hunting at night, the second is gold fringed and a little brighter than the first: for any need to be formal, or if the more used robe becomes wet or damaged. 

Personality
Like his people, Arcuthra is a most civilized orc. He is chivalrous, a man who finds peace in assisting the helpless, who sees war and battle not as an end or higher existence but as the means to peace when absolutely necessary. He isn't preachy or overt about it - he merely tries to do it, and will stop at nothing to defend his ideals if they are ever put into question.

He grows offended at those who are prejudiced against his kind: he doesn’t think this stereotyping of all orcs to be quite fair or even civilized, and is a source of burning irritation with him. He has no such prejudices himself, except (ironically) against uncivilized orcs: those who don’t treat their women right or who are too bloodthirsty or rowdy; those who are prejudiced against orcs, if they say as much or try to appease their hatred on his body, are likely to find him less than friendly.

He is not the talkative sort, but he is not uncomfortable in civilized company, if they are accepting. He is polite, mannered, and enjoys the reciprocation of such manners and politeness. But he lacks a sense of humor in the worst way. Also, he has an aristocratic attitude, which means he doesn't always get along well with more common folk.

He is not deeply religious, but he acknowledges the K‘ahn‘uck’tscha with all due care according to his tribe: he merely believes that honour is gained through chivalry and respect, and if in battle, having the enemy defeated: it is not necessary to slay him if he surrenders. But he never asks quarter, or accepts it, and rarely (if ever) offers it: the enemy must ask for quarter or terms, or he is not really defeated. But he avoids battle when he can: though he has pursued its art, he employs it for the respect and protection of others, not to wage war for any reason he finds.

Strengths and Weaknesses
His strengths lie in his simple physical prowess and his command over magic; his weaknesses in his disability and race.

Strengths

1. He is physically in shape. He has been training physically since he was ten years old in a variety of ways, but he is not quite as agile as some. His weight has proven a disadvantage where running is concerned (not that this matters much, since he never runs from a fight). He has stamina, but it shows better when he stands and fights – not when he is racing after prey.

2. He has some prowess in battle: his father was a member of the Elite Guard, and took pains that his son could prepare to follow in his footsteps. After his accident he favored the sword and shield, as the shield could be simply strapped to his left arm and the sword wielded with his good hand. His skills began to wane after he started to concentrate more on magic, but he is adept enough in battle to be worth his weight.

3. Like any Volkek-Oshra, he began magical training at the age of 15. While he eventually left Ximax, he still reached a respectable level of training. But he felt his skills were not needed in the city of magic or amongst his people.

4. After about three years in a blacksmith shop, he has acquired some minor skill in the trade. It's difficult for him to employ however: he is really an assistant at best, or requires one if he does the work himself. He dislikes the work, but it provides a potential fall-back should he not be able to hire himself out in any other way.

Weaknesses

1. Any orc knows that to be an orc is not advantageous in some society: he has encountered those who dislike orcs without properly weighing him out as an individual.

2. When insulted because of his race, he does not always hold his tongue, and this tends to cause more trouble than it's worth.

3. He has a very strong temper. In battle this can be helpful, but among the masses this is really not a very good thing. It is not set off easily, but when it is he loses his sense of caution.

4. His wounded hand has proven to be a hard thing to live with: he lost the ability to wield some weapons, such as staffs and two handed swords, and afterwards his skill with weapons began a slow decline. In fact, anything requiring two hands is almost impossible. It also makes others look at him in question from time to time, and wonder how he came by such a fierce injury, so it does not engender much trust. The hand - such as what is left of it - does not always work properly, and is darker than the rest of his skin because it was so severely burned. It also hampers any attempt at blacksmithing.

5. He can be hasty - he tends to make snap decisions without always thinking the consequences through.

6. He is chivalrous, but not above holding grudges. His grudges will smolder for years and years, and may cause him to do rash things for his sense of "honor" if forgiveness is not properly begged. He has a grudge against his tribe in general for casting him out; he is agreeable with other Volkek-Oshra, should he ever meet them outside of Ximax, but the tribe in general has earned his lasting contempt, unless they beg his forgiveness - which is not likely.

7. He is arrogant and a little overbearing. It's something he tries to curb, but it's a struggle. He pays proper respect to all, and yet, he dislikes coarse manners and attitudes. It's almost a split in his personality - helping the helpless while remaining above them...

Magic
He is a Volkek-Oshra, and as such began his magical training at the proper age of 15. His focus on other pursuits – specifically weapons – hampered a little bit of his development here. While he began to wield some spells with proficiency, some of the finer points of the art have never been fully realized by Arcuthra. He is a Level 3 Mage..
The more simple spells, such as Light, are what he prefers his magic for. He does not always use his magic in combat – the time needed for concentration makes it sometimes impractical, though it is most certainly useful.

History
Raised in Ximax, amongst the orcs of the Volkek-Oshra, Arcuthra has led a fairly normal and uneventful life. At the age of ten, his father, a member of the Elite Guard, decided that Arcuthra would one day have to join the Guard. So even in his early years, his father took great pains to see that he stayed physically in shape, and at age twelve began teaching him the use of weapons, something that he kept up throughout his years at Ximax.

When he was 34, he caught and adopted a Ximax Rat, who he called Jimp (see Familiars). The little rat turned out to be a wonderful currier, so long as he kept him fed - otherwise the rat tended to steal from other people's cupboards.

Once, during a festival, he “hunted” down a boar in the arena. He kept the hide and turned it into a leather jerkin, the same one he wears now.

He began his magical training at the proper age of 15, and advanced at an expected pace, but one day made a most unfortunate mistake: in his eagerness to increase his mastery of the spell, he attempted to enhance his casting of Quilrosh’s Fireball with the use of a torch. The resulting explosion took off the fingers of his left hand, and singed much of his beard away, but other than that he remained mostly unhurt. The spell is still an act that takes slightly more concentration for him to use than some other spells.
Still, the use of the spell and his oversight was not lightly put aside: the danger that it had posed had been potentially catastrophic. He was expelled from the academy. Furious, he spent three years in the city, plotting some sort of revenge while working as an assistant to a blacksmith – in this way, he obtained his weapons and armor and a little money, before leaving the city to avoid encountering any members of his own tribe, as revenge seemed an unlike possibility, but the idea ever smolders in his heart. As he travels he sees himself as a Freelance Mage for hire, or a bodyguard if need be - if desperate he will even try his hand at blacksmithing again.

Weapons

- A simple war sword with a steel cross-guard and pommel. The entire weapon is 2 Fores, 2 Palmspans, 7 Nailsbreadths, and 1 Grain in length.
- A metal-rimmed round shield, painted a dark red. The diameter is 1 Fore, 2 Palmspans, 7 Nailsbreadths, and 3 Grains.

Belongings
- His clothing and armor: a dark red robe, a thin gambeson, a jerkin of boar’s leather, shirt and breeches, a chain mail shirt, a second, lighter colored and dressier looking red robe, and dark brown robe.
- His sword and shield.
- A traditional gold medallion around his neck.
- His total fortune at the moment is one Hak, five ergs, and twelve sans.
- A small bag of fine ash for a reageant.
- A small quartz crystal, which employs as a focal point for casting "Light".

Familiars
The rat nose and squeaks that come out of his robe pocket belong to Jimp, the Ximax Rat.
Jimp has a taste for good cheeses of every kind, and bright shiny objects. From time to time, he has pilfered small coins for his master and stuck them in Arcuthra's pouch without the orc's knowledge. He is careful to make sure that the coins are of the same type that Arcuthra has in his pouch already - that way, his master just thinks he has miscounted: after all, Jimp has an interest in making sure he remains fed.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 02:45:49 AM by Mina » Logged

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Adventurer
Admin

Human, Remusian

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 05:28:07 AM »

Hello...sounds like a great character.   A have a question though...the Ximax Rat...you found it when you were 14, you are now 37...then the rat is minimum 23 years old...do Ximax Rats live that long??  I know the entry on them does not give an average life span, but it does seem like a long time..I'm new, so forgive me if I'm completely out in left field on this one.

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"It was a dark and stormy night."  - Snoopy
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat
"I did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewinski." - President Bill Clinton

My Character can be viewed @Angelina Jolie's house.  But knock first, in case I'm in my underwear.
Arcuthra
Chivalrous Orc
Approved Character

Orc, Volkek-Oshra

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 05:30:37 AM »

Good catch!  :P I don't know why I said 14...I meant 34, honest.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 05:32:17 AM by Arcuthra » Logged

Arcuthra
Chivalrous Orc
Approved Character

Orc, Volkek-Oshra

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 07:54:36 AM »

*innocent bump*

grin

Simonne Miller
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 03:06:36 AM »

I think you're one of the first ones that I've approved without any comments from my side  Shocked

So yeah, here's your first approval. I hope someone will give you the second one soon, I really like this character ;-)

Just out of curiosity, who are your other two characters?
Arcuthra
Chivalrous Orc
Approved Character

Orc, Volkek-Oshra

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 03:08:48 AM »

It is I! Morcaaan! grin I also had two other orc characters, but one I can't find...(yes, I have a thing for orc characters).

WOW. An approval on the first go around???  Shocked That's a new one for me...

Mina
Ávash'deláey
Approved Character

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 04:31:11 AM »

That was quick.  In case anyone else is checking it, since this is a magic user, please let me (or Marvin, if he happens by) check it before giving a second approval. 

Simonne Miller
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 04:33:17 AM »

yeah, I was going to ask you to check it, but you got here before that time. Also, I gave a first approval to another magic user, Delmies. Could you take a look at her as well?
Mina
Ávash'deláey
Approved Character

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 04:40:07 AM »

Sure.  I didn't realise there was another magic user around. 

Arcuthra
Chivalrous Orc
Approved Character

Orc, Volkek-Oshra

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 04:42:31 AM »

Hmm, I hope I did my research well enough.  Undecided

Mina
Ávash'deláey
Approved Character

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 05:12:22 AM »

Hmm...

1. Is there any reason he habitually wears armour?  I think that's fairly unusual. 

2. Are you allowed to play a level 4 mage?  Players are normally restricted to level 3.  Other than that the magic section looks alright. 

in his eager to master the difficult spell, he attempted to aid his application of Quilrosh’s Fireball with the use of a torch.
Well, aside from the slight grammar mistake, there are a couple other minor problems here. 

First, fireball isn't a particularly difficult spell; it's actually probably the simplest Sphere 2 spell.  Then again, he might well be quite new to Sphere 2 (IMO the fireball spell is probably the first Sphere 2 spell a Fire mage will learn), so it might actually be quite difficult to him.  Well, I guess this isn't much of a problem if that is the case. 

Also, the use of a torch as described in the entry doesn't really aid in the casting of the spell but instead enhances the power of the resulting fireball by adding more Fire ounia.  This is also why it's dangerous, because it might turn out to be too much for a mage of that level to handle.  Any fireball that is forming or has been formed but not released properly will probably explode if the caster loses control, as you described; using a torch just makes the loss of control much more likely, and causes the explosion to be larger. 

4. Well, the rat seems more intelligent that it should be, I think.  Ximax rats are extremely intelligent, but the way you described it makes it seem almost sentient.  I'm not sure if this is alright. 

It's certainly a well-researched CD.  No major problems as far as I can tell, even with the magic (though I certainly seem to have written quite a lot there). 

Arcuthra
Chivalrous Orc
Approved Character

Orc, Volkek-Oshra

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 05:26:39 AM »

1. Habitually? Hmm. That's easily corrected, if a problem.

2. I haven't been directly cleared, however, it is (by my understanding) allowed for veteran players, unless directly forbidden.

3. "Aid" was a poor choice of words on my part. It struck me from the way that paragraph on the enhancements for the fireball reads, that the spell can sometimes be difficult - why would lower level mages try to cover their inabilities with the presence of more active fire ounia unless there was at least some minor difficulty to overcome? Since he is at the most basic level for this spell, it struck me as an appropriate balancing measure.

4. The rats are either sentient, or near-sentient. There was even a character here on the boards who had a pack of Ximaxian rats as a playable group, as I recall.

Thanks for the quick reply, Mina.

Mina
Ávash'deláey
Approved Character

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 05:48:43 AM »

1. Well, it sounded like the armour is part of his normal attire, which I'm sure is unusual for just about anyone.  Usually armour is worn when one expects to be in combat, or as a precaution (by people such as guards). 

2. I don't remember that being mentioned.  It shouldn't make too much of a difference to keep your character to level 3, right? 

3. Well, I intepreted it as trying to create a more powerful fireball than they should be able to.  It certainly makes more sense that way, I think.  By the way, I think 'enhance his application' still sounds odd.  Maybe you could say something like enhance the spell, or create a larger fireball? 

4. Yeah, I think I remember him.  I don't think the rats are supposed to actually be sentient though.  But near-sentient would be perfectly acceptable, I think. 

Arcuthra
Chivalrous Orc
Approved Character

Orc, Volkek-Oshra

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 05:53:09 AM »

OK, give me a minute to make some adjustments...

btw, should I list every spell he is capable of here? I didn't list any ability in lower level spells, (e.g., Boiling Blood level 2) because it didn't strike me as necessary at the time after reading the CD guide.

Arcuthra
Chivalrous Orc
Approved Character

Orc, Volkek-Oshra

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 06:01:13 AM »

Edits in.

Edit:
The Restriction pages don't match: so...I think Level 4 or higher should be playable for this CD. But it requires Admin approval.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 06:13:22 AM by Arcuthra » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 30, 2021, 06:05:42 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]