Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What do you do?  (Read 8969 times)
Aroura Roselyn
Maiden of the Rose
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 02:33:35 AM »

My family always say that people find American comedy funny because it is so predictable and easy but British comedy is a work of art a lot more complex there is so much more to it. And Kareesh well I suppose in some ways it is mixed the writer of the book lived most of his life in England and most of his family were English, the movie/ book/ play was set in England and the large majority of the actors were English but the screen play writer was American so I suppose we share that. But really I have always thought of it as showing the quaint essential British family of that time and class.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 02:37:54 AM by Aroura Roselyn » Logged

And I quote, Francesca Bruni, from the movie Casanova."Give me a man who is man enough to give himself just to the woman who is worth him, if that woman were me I would love him alone, and forever".
Aroura Roselyn
Alassiel Telrúnya
Temperamental Bard
Approved Character

Elf, Ak’váth’rhím / Injerín

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 02:37:25 AM »

How is British comedy complex???

Aroura Roselyn
Maiden of the Rose
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 02:39:04 AM »

Have you ever watched "The Two Ronnies" or "Allo Allo"?

And I quote, Francesca Bruni, from the movie Casanova."Give me a man who is man enough to give himself just to the woman who is worth him, if that woman were me I would love him alone, and forever".
Aroura Roselyn
Alassiel Telrúnya
Temperamental Bard
Approved Character

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007, 02:41:47 AM »

No, I've never even heard of them...should I have? I can't think of any British comedies that are famous at the moment. Could anybody trigger my memory?

Aroura Roselyn
Maiden of the Rose
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2007, 02:53:38 AM »

Okay "The Two Ronnies" does not show on TV much anymore since the unfortunate death of the amazing comedian Mr Ronnie Barker. But in the early afternoon of Sunday on BBC 1 you can see "Allo Allo" and "Keeping up appearances". If you do see "The Two Ronnies" you will see what I mean by complex, in the wording used it is really hard to explain.

Aroura Roselyn
Alassiel Telrúnya
Temperamental Bard
Approved Character

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2007, 02:56:55 AM »

I can't see "Allo Allo", cuz I go to church and it ends in the afternoon, and then my family and I usually eat out for lunch...what time is it? I might be able to catch it.

Aroura Roselyn
Maiden of the Rose
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2007, 03:05:01 AM »

"Listen carefully I shall say this only once". "Allo Allo" starts at 1:00 pm on BBC 1 and after that is keeping up appearances, it is set in Europe during the time of Hitler but it is so funny especially the police man who pronounces all his words really weird and hilarious.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 03:07:42 AM by Aroura Roselyn » Logged

Aroura Roselyn
Simonne Miller
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2007, 03:26:49 AM »

I never did find Allo Allo so very funny. I don't know why, I normally enjoy British Humor. Are you being served was a very good show, and I liked 'You Rang, Mylord?' very much as well.

I saw Monthy Python and the quest for the holy grail about a half a year ago (at Arti's :D) and by the end of it, the tears were streaming down my cheeks and my stomach was hurting, I was laughing so hard. I just KNOW that now I'll never see it again that I have to laugh as hard, so maybe it's not a problem that I don't have it here at home. But yeah, I loved that.

*sings* Pie jesu domine... Dona eis requiem *baf* Pie jesu domine...
Kareesh Valendar
Hatred's Fury
CD Mod

Elf, Arthyron

Homepage
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2007, 03:45:47 AM »

Simonne, if you liked the Quest for the Holy Grail, you should sooooo see "And Now for Something Completely Different". It's basically all of their "best" skits from their show "Flying Circus". The pet store/lumberjack one is a classic.

If nothing else, search for them on Youtube.

Another British classic humour thing is Blackadder. Stars the guy who plays Mr. Bean. Also, another one stars Hugh Laurie but I can't remember the name of the show.

Aroura Roselyn
Maiden of the Rose
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2007, 04:02:54 AM »

Oh yes Blackadder, of course I love Blackadder I have seen almost every episode of it I absolutely adore it. I like the one called bells were Blackadder almost marry's a man and the one where he give Elizabeth I a polo.

Aroura Roselyn
Kareesh Valendar
Hatred's Fury
CD Mod

Elf, Arthyron

Homepage
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2007, 04:18:41 AM »

I like the Christmas Carol special. That was hysterical.

Aroura Roselyn
Maiden of the Rose
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2007, 04:24:27 AM »

Yeah I have got that one on DVD it is brilliant as well I do not think there is really any episode of Blackadder I don't love. It's things like are British comedy that makes me proud to be British as well as many, many other things.

And that brings me to the question, "What makes you most proud about your country?"

Aroura Roselyn
Alassiel Telrúnya
Temperamental Bard
Approved Character

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2007, 04:29:16 AM »

*sigh* Not sure what my country is...born in Canada, moved to Chicago, moved to Malaysia, moved back to Canada, moved to Singapore, currently living in England. buck

Aroura Roselyn
Maiden of the Rose
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2007, 04:31:14 AM »

Oh my gosh how many times have you moved, I could not live with having to move so often. I have only ever lived in 3 houses in my hole life and they are all in the same county let alone the same country.

Aroura Roselyn
Alassiel Telrúnya
Temperamental Bard
Approved Character

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2007, 04:45:32 AM »

I've moved countless times because of my parents' work. My dad had a choice; he could have gone to New Zealand, but he chose England instead. As a result, I only have things I like about a country, but not necessarily proud of:

Canada: The summer camps (don't ask me why)
Malaysia: Um....I know it's really mean, but I don't have anything I like about Malaysia other than my friends.
Singapore: The shopping!!!
England: The weather grin it's got the best weather.

I didn't include America because I was too young to remember what happened. I moved away when I was about 3 or 4.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]