Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

gfx gfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register    gfx gfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!
Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fairgrounds - Day 1  (Read 1070 times)
Garth Avery
Agile Harlequin
Approved Character

Human, Helcrani

« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2007, 12:10:07 AM »

Mouse grinned for a moment. He was in his element, just as much as the little girl. He'd seen more of her kind - happy so long as they got a lot of attention. He didn't mind giving it though, so long as she gave attention back to him. So long as he was performing, he wanted as much attention as possible. It was when he was not performing that he wanted nobody to notice him.

"Well, I'll have to see. Turn your head sideways." Mouse made a show of peering into the little girl's ear. "Hmm..." He tapped a finger on the ear, then softly blew in it, although he made sure that nothing was damaged, that it only caused a tickling sensation. Then he tapped the ear again, while he went around her head with his other hand, making sure she didn't see the coin hiding in it, and pretended to pull it out of her other ear. While doing this he didn't have to stoop, like 'normal' adults, because his face was at the same height as his own. He presented the coin to her, saying "I hope that didn't hurt, you know. I had to blow it to the other side..." It was said quite seriously. Only a little twinkle in his eyes, barely noticeable, betrayed the fun he was having entertaining this little girl.

"What's your name? I don't want to call you 'little girl'. That would sound a little... what's the word... hypocrite, coming from me, don't you think? I'm Mouse." he winked at her, still in his role as entertainer.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 12:12:27 AM by Garth Avery » Logged

Ease of laughter comes so fast when you're not in the jester's shoes...

Garth Avery
Lori Lo
Little Brat
Approved Character

Human, Stratania

« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2007, 12:59:51 AM »

Somehow Lori hadn‘t expected that this wonder of a coin coming out of her hear would be reproducible. So she fascinated followed every advice the small man gave her with a very happy expression on her face. First she should turn her head so that he could look into her ear. For a moment she thought at Ana‘Mirl  and Madelyn who both always told her to wash her ears, Madelyn had done so only this morning. She felt a short sting inside, a trace of a bad conscience for she was surely not following what both women had tried to teach her. It was no great effort needed to push every thought of the last two years aside. The juggler tapped her ear, once, twice and then the miracle happened again. He had a coin in his hand which he had pulled out of her ear and handed over to her.

“"I hope that didn't hurt, you know. I had to blow it to the other side..."“

What had he done, he had blown the coin through her head? Lori couldn‘t believe it. Did this mean, that the coins were in one ear, but why hadn‘t he just taken it out of the same ear? She looked shortly at the second coin, pondering if it would be enough for a bag  or only a second spice cake, if she would have to decide what she wanted, two spice cakes or one and a bag, but probably the bag was much more expensive. But what was possible twice might be possible a third time as well, maybe he could even pull bigger coins out of her ears. She was about to ask, why he had to blow the coin through her head and if he could do it again, but then he asked:

"What's your name? I don't want to call you 'little girl'. That would sound a little... what's the word... hypocrite, coming from me, don't you think? I'm Mouse."

What‘s your name? Mine is Mouse. Mouse? she looked curiously at him.

“ Mouse? Why Mouse? My name is Lo.. „ She stopped, afraid suddenly to have given her true name away, nearly. This man had fascinated her so much, that she had forgotten about the whole situation. She looked around to see who was still here and saw her „father“  over there, well „secured“ by a man who had his hand on his shoulder. The only man who could „proof“ that he was her „father“ was the man who had sold the spice cake to her. In front of him her „father“ had called her daughter and „Gretel“. So she had to be „Gretel“ now. Lori turned back to the juggler and smiled at him, but this smile was not as genuine as the one before. Reality had her back.
“ My name is Gretel„ she said to him. “ Could you do it again? Then maybe it is enough to pay for that bag.

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Adventurer
Story Mod

Human, Remusian

« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2007, 09:11:47 PM »

Salizaar Moonsong

What's this?  Salizaar felt a hand grip him firmly, and he heard the ranting of the girl.  She is good, Salizaar ol' boy.  Gots you in a fix, now don' she?  Salizaar quickly looked about to consider his options.  There were too many people here, so going for his knife as out of the question.  Besides, he almost never pulled out his blade when his opponent was a fully grown man.  Usually his victims were unarmed women. 

He smiled coyly.  "Nah, ya haves it all wrong.  I was not goin' ta leaves the girl.  Really.  I was...."  his mind searched frantically for an excuse.  finally his heart sank, as he came up with one he thought would suffice.  I hates the brat!  Still, Salizaar, ya mights want to rethink this arrangement.  She is very smat.  "I was jus' leavin' her here while I went to buy her the bag, is all.  I wanted it to be a surprise for me dear ol' daughter, Gretchen.  Gretel!  I mean's Gretal."  He chuckled nervously.  "Her momma's name be Gretchen, so I sometimes make that mistake, so alike are they.  You understand."    Yes, Salizaar, ol' boy.  She has ya now.  Might as well use her to your advantage.

My Favorite Cartoon Quotes.
"It was a dark and stormy night...." Snoopy
"Ack!!!!" Bill the Cat
"I did not have sex with THAT woman, Monica Lewinsky" President Bill Clinton
My Character can be viewed @
Anjolina Jolie's house but knock first in case I'm in my underwear.
Garret Arroway
The Wolfling
Approved Character

Human, Helcrani

« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2007, 09:27:41 PM »

Garret listened as the man rambled out an explanation. The young fighter slightly board with all this and wished he hadn't gotten involved. But he was involved so he listened to the man. Shadowfoot moved around in front of the man and began to emit a low warning growl when the man had started talking.

"Nah, ya haves it all wrong. I was not goin' ta leaves the girl. Really. I was...." He seemed to stumble there, trailing off for a moment before beginning again, "I was jus' leavin' her here while I went to buy her the bag, is all.  I wanted it to be a surprise for me dear ol' daughter, Gretchen.  Gretel!  I mean's Gretal." The man chuckled at his mistake and Garret thought it slightly suspicious. The man began his rambling again, "Her momma's name be Gretchen, so I sometimes make that mistake, so alike are they.  You understand."

Garret wasn't all sure about this man, so he started forward, hauling this man over toward the group of people around the little girl. She seemed to have brightened up as the little man had come over to her. Garret smiled, glad that he girl had calmed down.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 07:43:56 PM by Garret Arroway » Logged

Diffrent roads sometimes lead to the same castle.
Seh'nara Celebrindal
Swift Ranger
Approved Character

Elf, Tethinrhim

« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2007, 03:27:00 PM »

Seh'nara lost her balance slightly when the Girl threw her arms around Seh'nara and held on tightly. Recovering, she was about to offer to buy Girl a spicecake when the juggler she was admiring came over and started to calm Girl down by doing the old coin-in-ear trick. Seh'nara smiled genially at his readiness to cheer her up. Other entertainers might have just left with the amount of money he had earned.

"...What's your name? I don't want to call you 'little girl'. That would sound a little... what's the word... hypocrite, coming from me, don't you think? I'm Mouse." the juggler said.

"Mouse? Why Mouse? My name is Lo.." the Girl said before stopping abruptly. Huh? Lo? Seh'nara's instinct immediately became alert. People who stopped before telling their name usually had something to hide. Dismissing the notion quickly (She's such a sweet little thing), Seh'nara listened to Girl's reply. "My name is Gretel. Could you do it again? Then maybe it is enough to pay for that bag," the Girl requested sweetly.

Well, she's in good hands, Seh'nara thought. Looking over at the "father", Seh'nara realised that the boy was dragging him over. And he had his wolf with him. Oh, crap. Seh'nara realised the potential trouble immediately. Silver was never good when another wolf, any wolf, was around. He needed time to get used to the other wolf, else if he didn't like the other wolf, the growling could turn into a full out tussle. She could already hear him growling, and it was increasing in intensity with every step the boy took.

Quickly straightening up, she adressed the Collector. "Hey, Collector. Do you know where the spicecake seller is? I want to get Gretel one."  
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 09:54:49 AM by Seh'nara Celebrindal » Logged

Tas Shadowrider
Lone Guardian
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2007, 09:26:26 AM »

The same strange impulse that had brought her too Salsair and convinced her to stay in this city was the same one that was in place now. She found herself walking toward the fairgrounds of the Festival of the Horse. She had never been to a fair before, though stories had always intrigued her when she was younger. After her brother's death all that had faded. Yet today she walked toward the area set out for the festival. Her dislike of large crowds was driven to the back of her mind by some strange feeling. She convinced herself that it was just the joyous feeling in the air that had clouded her judgment. As she drew closer a strange excitement filled her but she refused to acknowledge it.

Thorn was enjoying himself already. The little fox couldn't stay still, all the people and noised excited him and he bounced along beside her. Tas wasn't sure that this was normal behavior for a fox, but then again Thorn wasn't a normal fox. The little red fox had been with her for a while now. While she didn't like big crowds the overexcited fox did and always dragged her along into the sea of people the little creature loved to explore. Thorn has gotten ahead of her a bit, she was about to call to the fox but as if reading her thoughts he turned his little head and looked back at her. The creature had a curious and impatient expression upon his face and stayed in one place, bouncing up and down as if telling her to hurry up.

She laughed at her little friend's antics and moved forward faster to appease the creature. The passed a man standing at the entrance to the festival and then it all seemed to unfold before her. The sights, sounds, and smells tearing her in every direction. The little fox seemed to go crazy then, he would bounce off in one direction only to be distracted by something else and head off in that direction. That process repeating until Tas had to pick up the fox so he didn't get stepped on by the people coming and going. She grinned as the fox tried to free himself from her grasp but quickly settled down as she moved in one of the directions he had yet to see.

As they passed food venders he struggled more, and when they neared strange men dressed in odd colors with their faces painted the little fox shrank back against her chest. She couldn’t help but laugh at the little creature. She had realized long ago that this little being was the only thing that kept the old Tas intact and she loved moments like this when she could just have fun. They wandered around for a while and after they moved out of the most crowed area she let Thorn down. The little fox sprinting off a few peds in every direction, bouncing of anything he came in contact with. Then his nose went to the ground and he started off in one direction, intent upon his unknown destination. Tas rolled her sapphire eyes and followed the fox, guessing that he headed to some source of food.

My father said once that a hero is someone who simply got too frightened to use his good sense and run away, then somehow lived through it all.
Garth Avery
Agile Harlequin
Approved Character

Human, Helcrani

« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2007, 09:55:10 PM »

Mouse shook his head. "I'm sorry, Lo-gretel. I can only do that a few times in one day." He glanced at the man claiming to be her father. If just one of the two had given the wrong name, he wouldn't have thought it as suspicious as now, even though he'd have had his own thoughts about it. As it was, it seemed to him that both were lying about the girl's name. And if that was subject of a lie, couldn't their relationship be the same? He'd taken a shine to the girl, and somehow he didn't want her to go anywhere with an unsavoury type like this man. Something in the back of his mind nagged at him for being naieve, but he didn't listen to it. So this girl might not be as sweet as she made out to be, he didn't really care. Her ginger curls and big eyes had won him over.

He noticed that he wasn't the only one to have doubts about the man. The other people in their little group glared at him as well. The girl with the... interesting... tattoo on her face asked Petros for the spice-cake stall. In a rather blunt way, too. If you didn't know someone's name, you didn't say 'hey you' or in this case, 'hey collector'. A minimal form of politeness would dictate at least an 'excuse me, but'. And what did she think, that the girl was invalid? She'd said something about getting a second spicecake, so she knew where the stall was, and he'd given her the money to buy it. However, he shrugged his irritation off. Gretel would not object to getting more and more spicecakes, probably. Instead, he turned to her.

"Tell you what, Lo-Gretel. If you tell me what really comes behind the 'Lo', I will buy the bag for you, and I will tell you why I'm called Mouse." He didn't really know why he offered to buy her the bag. He didn't even know how much it would cost. On the other hand, he never had need of much money for himself. He had enough to sleep comfortably for a few nights, and still have lots to spare, so he might as well save this kid from associating with the unsavoury person. He hoped that, if he bought her the bag, she wouldn't lie about her relationship with the guy anymore. She was too well-dressed in comparison with him anyway. And aside from that, he just liked her, and he wanted her to have something nice. There was something in her attitude that bespoke much happening in a short life.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 09:55:54 PM by Garth Avery » Logged

Garth Avery
Danner Ash
The Shooter
Approved Character

Human, Remusian

« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2007, 03:15:37 AM »

Danner entered the fairgrounds, walking Thor beside him. The large space was crowded with vender's stalls, entertainers, and tons of people enjoying the day. Danner grinned as he made way through the crowds, leading Thor, and walking beside his brother. Danner looked forward to the archery contest he had heard about. He would be sure to compete in that and he was still debating the mounted archery.

He walked past a group of people that seemed gathered around a little girl. Danner couldn't tell what was going on but from the looks of it one man was being held against his will. He moved on, not wanting to get into something that didn't involve him. Before he was clear of the group he saw two wolves. He hopped he would see the creatures again this day, new animals always seemed to bring out his curious side. He moved forward, taking in the sights around him.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 03:25:06 AM by Danner Ash » Logged

Your station at birth means nothing. A man can't change that. What's important is how you live.
Todd Ash
The Handsome One
Approved Character

Human, Remusian

« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2007, 03:19:08 AM »

Todd followed his brother into the fair, Rust by his side. He was grinning broadly, enjoying the day and the many things going on around him. He watched as entertainers performed for crowds, and people lounged about, being in now hurry on this day. He was excited about the battle contests and had heard about the horse breaking and thought that would be fun. He found himself chuckling though knowing his brother would try to keep him from doing anything like that.

Danner seemed to speed up a bit at one point and Todd looked around trying to see what was happening but nothing seemed to be amiss. He figured his brother was just eager to see everything. His curious side always seemed to find some odd creature or site to study and sometimes that got him in trouble. Not that they were ever completely out of trouble. It was something about them that brought guards running. Todd thought it might be the brawling. Naw, that’s just good sport, Todd told himself, grinning. He followed his brother, sure this would be a wonderful day.

Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not.
Eleyra Avennian
Pretty Poppetmaker
Approved Character

Elf, Aeolrhan

« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2007, 05:30:00 PM »

The noise was what had drawn Eleyra to this festival of sorts. As she hadn’t bothered to ask the name of the last town she had come upon, and couldn’t really remember how long it had been since she’d left anyway, she had very little idea of where she was now. All she really knew was that this new place was colorful and full of movement, exuding the kind of feeling that only leisurely action can bring about. Being out of coin and out of food was no new thing for her, though it did tend to wear on her mood. A festival was just the thing to distract her from the mild pangs in her stomach. Eleyra spared a brief moment to check her hair (ribbons intact, tangles minimum) and tighten the knot on the triangle of red fabric she had tied over a short skirt. Properly assured of her appearance, Eleyra made her way into the mass.

Across the courtyard a young girl was surrounded by a small mob of adults. Goodness—how many caretakers did one child need? All men too, that she could see. Odder and odder--oh. Eleyra stopped. Children. Dolls.

Right then. She would just have to sell a poppet or two. If they fetched even a little coin, surely it would be sufficient to purchase a spice cake or two. And perhaps some of that gold threaded fabric she’d seen draped over that merchant’s cart. And maybe a necklace made of those sparkly beads a few of the ladies were wearing. She did so love sparkly things.

Being the first day of the festival, the grounds were not too crowded. There was plenty of open space between the street vendors and events. The slowly increasing flow of visitors had yet to form into any real crowd. Perfect conditions for setting up a very small, impromptu shop. Eleyra loosed the knot at her shoulder. The brightly colored scarf that she used as a sling slipped down to the dirt, unveiling a small, plainly made wooden box. She knelt beside it and undid the metal clasp. Inside the box were her real treasures, her only treasures. Bits of fabric, fine edged needles, beads, and bobbles…and there, tucked safely away, were three completed poppets and the rough beginnings of a fourth.

Eleyra spread one of the plainer fabrics on the ground before her, royal blue with a burnt orange swirl on the edges. She settled herself onto a back corner of it, her long legs stretching towards of the other corner. True, her position on the ground put her a good ped below most of the people wandering around, but experience had taught her that selling dolls was not swift business. It was far better to be trod upon, a little, than to exhaust your feet standing all day. Besides, her merchandise was on the ground and she certainly wasn’t going to point down to it all day.

Eleyra pulled out the first of the dolls and set it before her. Being one of her first experiments in attaching pottery-made appendages to the soft cloth bodies, the workmanship was a little rough. The cheeks were a little too rounded, the fingers a little to stubby, and the feet lacked much form at all. But the face, painted on with expertise, shown with child-like cheerfulness and the feet were covered with little pink booties. The rest of the doll was up to her normal, meticulous standards. The body was stuffed until it was irresistibly huggable, the dark hair was perfectly coifed, and the ruffled dress in soft pink was intricately detailed with her own touches of embroidery and beading. 

The second and third dolls were made with much improved craftsmanship and the same attention to detail. The second doll had hair the color of the setting sun, a mischievous expression, and a rich green dress. It was placed alongside the first, on the middle-front of the blanket. The third doll was clearly a male, a young elf figure with a sour look on his face and a small quill in his hand. She had even fashioned a miniature leather hat for his head. He, too, was set out before her. A few more scarves and beads were arranged around and between the dolls for effect, and her display was finished.

Leaning back onto her palms, Eleyra prepared herself for a long, hungry afternoon. 
Khel
Unbound Rogue
Story Mod

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2007, 01:44:57 AM »

Nogra Ungorra

As Nogra walked casually between two events, he inhaled the lovely aromas of the fair. The day was getting late, but there was still much time left! And quite a few events. As the first day, Nogra was entirely pleased with out events turned out. Champions in each event would be awarded; he loved to see the delight in their eyes at their prizes won. He enjoyed seeing familiar faces return the next days, all too eager to return, mingle and compete. Oh, the Festival was a wonderful seven days of the year.

Glimpsing a lovely woman, Nogra stepped closer. Glancing around again, and up at shining Injera, he figured he had a few moments to spare. The woman had set out beautifully crafted dolls! Oh, the joys this Festival brought. Looking about, Nogra saw children playing and knew this would be a good place for her to set up, indeed. Within seven days' time, she could make quite a profit. Studying each carefully, Nogra nodded approval at the display. Lovingly made, these each must have been. Perhaps another day he would return and purchase one.

Jumping to a start, Nogra looked the woman in the eyes and flashed her a broad grin. Then, with as little rudeness as he could muster, he turned on his heel and jogged in the direction of the tilting field. Oh, late for another competition...

..tell me your heart doesn't race for a hurricane or a burning building. -asw
Your pal, Khel
Lori Lo
Little Brat
Approved Character

Human, Stratania

« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2007, 11:11:59 PM »

Lori had been convinced, that what worked two times would work three or four times as well. So she was very disappointed, when the little man shook his head and told her, that this was not possible. The nice woman with the strange face was gone to buy another spice cake, but she had already two coins to buy more to eat and she would easily abandon the thought of more spice cakes if she only could get this fantastic bag with the two different sides, the red one with the sun on it an the blue one with the moon stitched onto it.

Lori Lo‘s thoughts were interrupted, when Mouse, how he had called himself, turned back to her after he had scanned the crowd for a moment.

"Tell you what, Lo-Gretel. If you tell me what really comes behind the 'Lo', I will buy the bag for you, and I will tell you why I'm called Mouse."

Lori froze for an instant. She had heard the first Logretel, but had hoped if she would ignore it, it would be forgotten, it would not exist. But obviously her error when telling her name had not gone unnoticed.
And then his offer: If you tell me what really comes behind the 'Lo', I will buy the bag for you
Now she was torn between two worlds, her old one, the thieves underground in Strata, were she would have lied without bad conscience to get what she wanted and used her appearance, her innocent looking face with the big eyes and the curls to entrap the soft-hearted passengers to give her some coins - and her new world, the Thirsty Herald, where she was looked after every day, where she had regular meals and where she was truly loved.

The bag, he would buy her the bag. Would he really do it? Despite she had said a wrong name and lied to him? Normal people didn‘t like to be lied at and were normally very angry instead of friendly. Could she believe him? And on top he would tell her a story, why he was named mouse - and she loved stories, especially strange ones and this seems to be true! Once back home she could tell Ana‘Mirl and all the others a story they didn‘t know.
Lori Lo faltered what to do, she changed her mind a thousand times and it was visible in her little face. The hope to get rid of her lies and to be able to be her self again and not to belong to this old dirty man opened her expression to a friendly smile, while the mistrust in the people around, especially Mouse, barred her pretty face in the next moment letting it look nearly expressionless. The tension within her grew finally to an extent where she couldn‘t hold it anymore and she more or less exploded. Big tears sprang from her eyes like little watery balls and as she this time threw her arms around a neck it was Mouse‘s. Sobbing she lay at his chest, but this time her sorrow was true, at least mostly. Playing a little theatre was always easy for her and if mixed with true feeling she was just great. And it was quite practical as well. As long as she was sobbing, she couldn‘t say her name!
But curiosity was finally stronger and she released the poor man out of her tight embracing. Still holding onto his sleeves she asked under tears:

“You are sure you can buy the bag? It costs as much as five big spice cakes  and ten of the kao-kao cookies!“

Garth Avery
Agile Harlequin
Approved Character

Human, Helcrani

« Reply #72 on: Yesterday at 09:17:59 PM »

Mouse looked a little crestfallen at first when the girl started sobbing again and certainly when she hugged him and cried against his chest - for which she had to bend her head just a slight bit, much like a grown woman would when hugging a normally grown man. A little hesitantly, he patted her back. It was one thing to entertain a little girl, it was quite another to actually comfort them like this. She soon gained control over herself again, he saw with relief.

"Yes, Lo-Gretel, I really can afford to buy you the bag. But you know what I ask in return... So, what do you say?" Mouse's face had regained its usual serious expression, but it was clear that he was not mad at all, even though he already knew she'd lied to him about the name. He whispered conspiratorilly to her: "To be honest with you, I don't like him." He indicated Salizaar with a not-so-subtle nod of his head. "I'd be glad to find out you didn't have to go home to him every day..."

Garth Avery
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
Members
Total Members: 15761
Latest: JEFFSTA
Stats
Total Posts: 134719
Total Topics: 4832
Online Today: 31