Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

gfx gfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register    gfx gfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!
Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Random vehicle question  (Read 119 times)
Torscha
Itinerant
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« on: December 28, 2007, 06:39:54 PM »

Okay, so I'm a college student studying overseas. When I graduate, I'll be going home. Property prices are ridiculous in my country (I mean it; imagine USD$300,000 for a one bedroom government-built shoebox flat) and so I'll be staying with my parents until my girlfriend and I can somehow conjure up enough cash to get our own place (and hopefully pay for a certain Event as well).

My college is part of a university-town kind of thing. Most things are quite accessible from my room; I bike almost everywhere. The feeling of going anywhere at any time is... something I've never experienced before. I don't have a motoring license.

What I'm doing is thinking of getting a motorcycle when I get back home. I know it's supposed to be extremely risky (especially given the tendency for tropical downpours to come out of absolutely nowhere and turn pleasant road surfaces into a hell of low visibility and slippery surfaces, not to mention irate motorists), but it's much cheaper than getting a car. A car would probably cost about USD$50,000 (I'm not kidding); in comparison, a bike would probably be around $800.

I can't help thinking that it's the closest thing that I'll get to independence while still living with my parents. At least I'll no longer be dependent on them for transport. When home gets too close, I can just hop on and take off for a while. It'll also give me an opportunity to get to know my city a lot better – I've lived here all my ilfe, but restricted mobility has seriously impaired the extent to which I can get to know it. I've been at college for a year and a half and I think I know my college town a lot better than I know my home city, simply because I can explore it more exhaustively without getting exhausted.

I don't really know what I'm getting at here. Has anyone had any experience with motorcycles? I suppose I just want to be told that it's not completely insane for me to want to risk my neck for a little bit of independence.

Hylphán
Venturer
Approved Character

Half-Elf, Avennorian/ Arthyron

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 06:45:49 PM »

Personally, for city use, I would get a scooter instead.  They can reach city street speed limits, are more stable to ride, and get MUCH better gas mileage - a plus in this day of expensive gas!   Also, in many places, if the engine size is below 50 cc, you may not need to even get a drivers license for it!  More lightweight, easier to store, cost less money to buy, etc., etc., and so on...

Just some thoughts ...

Fair winds and following seas till our paths cross again.

Hylphán's CD
Simonne Miller
Meddling Herbalist
CD Mod

Human, Caltharian

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 06:53:59 PM »

I don't have experience with a motorcycle myself, but one of my friends bought one, because she didn't want to always have to ride behind her boyfriend. She absolutely loves it ;)

Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art...

Simonne Miller
Torscha
Itinerant
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 07:26:19 PM »

Hm... well, as for scooters, if I'm going to go the two-wheeled route, I might as well look good doing it, really. Indulge my macho side.  grin

Thinking of getting a cruiser.

Kalína Mërénwèn
Bringer of Song and Dreams
Admin

Elf, Mélad'rhím/ Injerín

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 09:20:01 PM »

I lost a friend to a motorcycle accident, so naturally - I am against them. He wasn't impaired...just found a patch of sand on accident and fell.

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Lady Kalina
Vincent Varkatzas
Nighttime Drifter
Approved Character

Human, Kasumarii

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 11:34:16 PM »

I agree with Hylphan. I have a motorbike and it drinks fuel, despite the small engine. A scooter is a much smoother ride but for most motorbikes you need to build up a decent speed to have a decent ride. A scooter is definitely the way to go  :D

Ive got a jet black heart, it's all stuffed up and it's falling apart

http://www.santharia.com/adv/index.php/topic,4729.0.html
Hylphán
Venturer
Approved Character

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 03:29:56 AM »

I have seen some scooters that look and feel like a nice motorcycle, with all the benefits of the scooter.  They look like some of the little street bikes.

Hylphán's CD
Torscha
Itinerant
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 06:02:52 AM »

Well, I have always been looking for an excuse to get a Vespa...  grin

I'm really sorry to hear that, Kali. It's very sobering. Respectfully, though, I don't think I want to live my life not doing things because I'm afraid that it'll kill me.

I used to be in the army before going to college; one thing I learned was that just about anything can kill you at any time. That doesn't mean we should lock ourselves in a box. I'm quite sure there are plenty of safety measures I can take to reduce risk, and I thoroughly intend to use all of them.

In my experience I tend to regret a lot more the things that I didn't do when I could've than the things that I did and then messed up. i don't want to regret not doing this when I get older.

Hylphán
Venturer
Approved Character

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 09:54:31 AM »

Vespa! King of the scooters!  That's what you need.

Hylphán's CD
Aadoth
New Santharian

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 02:21:48 PM »

The thing with any type of 2-wheeled transportation is: Wear a helmet at all times, and never ever patch your tires. If they get a whole in them, replace them. And Kali and I's friend would have very, very probably survived that accident had he been wearing a helmet.

I also lean in the scooter direction, but it seems you've mostly got your mind made up already. ;)
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Adventurer
Approved Character

Human, Remusian

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 03:30:38 PM »

I say get a horse.  But, thats just me. buck

Favorite Cartoon Quotes
"It was a dark and stormy night."  - Snoopy
"Ack!" - Bill the Cat
"I did not have sex with that woman, Monica Lewinski." - President Bill Clinton

My Character can be viewed @Angelina Jolie's house.  But knock first, in case I'm in my underwear.
Weivóc'Neán
Forsaken
Approved Character

Elf, Eophyrhim

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 07:09:49 PM »

Horses are much more expensive, escpecially if you take them to shows. Trust me, we have about 8, and not much money floating around for other stuff.

RP'ing: Speech Thoughts
A link to my CD: Weivóc'Neán
Aueniteri
Crusader
Approved Character

Half-elf, Quaelhoirhim / Eyelian

« Reply #12 on: Today at 03:57:33 AM »

I have one; would never take her to a show. Also, I live in Vegas, so going around on horseback is somewhat improbable. The horse, sadly, does not live in Vegas with me, although I guess that's better for her... And now I'm getting off track.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[Today at 09:16:28 AM]

[Today at 08:32:48 AM]

[Today at 08:12:36 AM]

[Today at 07:57:53 AM]

[Today at 07:55:53 AM]

[Today at 07:54:16 AM]

[Today at 07:52:46 AM]

[Today at 06:21:04 AM]