Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chapter I - In Search of a Druid  (Read 23001 times)
The Illiana Twins
Traveling Kitchen
Approved Character

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 11:20:32 PM »

At the city's gate, Xander glanced at the piece of paper in his hand. Although the paper was torn and tattered, the crude map was boldly drawn, and the way shown was clear. The innkeeper had been immensely generous. Besides giving them free board in exchange for the small stint that Xanth had worked, he had also given them a heads up on a potential job. Mercenaries they were not, but perhaps some travelling party might like some gourmet food on their journey.

From the gate, the two walked steadily on. Small talk filled the silence as they followed the path to Elsreth. A stral or two, and a clearing would be reached. "... And who is she again?" Xanth asked her brother as she carefully stepped over a large stone. "I don't know. She wants people to join her on a journey. I was thinking, we could be their cooks. Or at least, you could," Xander added with a laugh. They could see the clearing now, a small spot in the near area. A cluster of people already had gathered around a cheerful fire, though from this distance, neither could make out individual features.

A small bubble of excitement rose in Xanth as they approached the camp. Always, she liked new adventures, and looking at the interesting group that had gathered, the journey certainly seemed to be an eventful one. The carefree lass had already forgotten the mundane things like being accepted by the mysterious golden eyed elf yet. Xander, however, had completely different views on the crew. Plenty of ladies, that was always a plus, but the human garbed in steel? She looked formidable with that sword, to say the least. And completely capable of slicing off his head, should he try anything over the top. Inwardly, he winced, remembering a particular incident a couple of months back. Safe to say, he never truly looked at forks the same way ever again. They hurt.

However, the elf started to look closer at the party. The thing that stood out the most was the tension in the air, and the fact that the lady knight had her sword out. Emerald eyes flicked to the clearing behind the camp, taking in both the warg and the orcess. Immediately, Xander placed a hand on Xanth's arm. "Be careful. Orcess with a bow, and she looks furious. Or frightened. And that warg looks hungry too." The murmmured warning was acknowledged by a curt nod, before his sister took a few steps forwards, nearer to the knight and the elf called Irid.

Xanth heard the last statement of the lady knight, resisting the urge to roll her eyes. Her tongue, however, couldn't be stopped. "Oh, that's brillant. Let's all threaten the nice orc that has a bow aimed at us and a lovely warg that could tear all of us into shreds in seconds. Fantastic plan, lady knight." The sentence spilled out of Xanth's mouth, a hint of amusement at the absurdity of the whole thing. A small smile tugged at the corners of her mouth, threatening to turn into a full blown grin. Humans. They amuse me so.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 11:26:56 PM by The Illiana Twins » Logged

Menweh Reolláolásh’miés
Wind Caller
Approved Character

Elf, Ylfferhim

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2008, 12:59:50 AM »

Menweh stood with awe upon her face as the orc and warg lept from their hiding place. “Such grace and skill!’’ the elfess thought to herself as the orc not only was moving, but also arming herself with a bow. Menweh bit her lip, she had not intended to scare the orcess, she really hadn’t. The wizardess had wanted to prevent arrows from being shot accurately. She mentally shrugged as she looked over the camp. Menweh saw the brief look of─ surprise? Or was that dislike?─ was more than hinted in the brown haired elf’s gaze.
„So I’ve allready made a friend!“ Menweh smiled amusedly at her thought. Why whould she shy way from Menweh? The elf shook her head, she’d tried to help, not bring a storm down on them! Still this woman’s reaction piqued her curiousity. She’d find out why she was acting this way toward Menweh.
"Cease your spells, mage," The knight said quietly. "Irid seeks not to further alarm the orc and neither do I. But should this orc so much as twitch her bow finger, she will find my blade at her throat"

“I will, I’va gathered as much. I’m not about to conjure up another wind just to shift the aim of her arrows.” Menweh said matter of factly, her voice melodic and as quite as the knights. She smiled at the knight cheerfully, “I sincerely hope that there is not a fight. An who knows maybe this orc is nae hostile.”

As she stood there she saw two other people come up from the road. They stopped when the saw what was going on. Menweh shook her head, she hoped that they’d be coming with them, but this was the worst timing they could have possibly had.
    Menweh walked over to the other human in their group. She wasn’t about to fight the orc. She wanted to learn from her not spill her blood.
   She laughed as she spoke,”You know they told me at Ximax that I could us my magic to help people? They said “Menweh Reolláolásh’miés, with your skills you can help sailors fill their sails, you can help people. Now look at what is going on.”
   Menweh turned to the man. His black hair fell down and around his neck. He was dressed simply but by the look of his clothes, but comfortably by the look of the textiles he wore. She looked back up at his face to see something she hadn’t noticed before. A white strip of cloth covered his eyes,
Reollá iúa glásáj,“ She whispered. He was blind!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 01:00:33 AM by Menweh Reolláolásh’miés » Logged

Blyxx
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 03:51:58 AM »

Blyxx held the bow steady as the strange elfess with golden eyes came forth from the tree line her arms outstretched, as if in submission. Although her concerns were raised as the dark-haired woman approached, the huntress had little alternative but to leave any dangers from her to Griz.  When the knight appeared from the woods but was unsaddled in the advance the orc merely followed each of her steps like a hunter measuring the wary strides of a stag amongst the plains. The orcess found some humor in the knight’s words as she cast idle threats; it was without saying the metal clad woman had walked into a death trap if she sought one. Unhorsed she could never reach the duo and the hunter was not unaccustomed to firing on the move.

A fanged grin radiated from Blyxx’s blackened lips as karkrimson eyes narrowed in mirth, surely the knight was jesting. The gentle words from the golden-eyed elf broke the moment for the huntress as piercing eyes shifted to respite on the elfess. Grizzy’s maw pulled back revealing long rows of salivating fangs, glistening in the early rays of Injera. With immense concentration the orc endeavored to take in the melodic words of the elfess before her. With enormous tension the orcess searched for the words to respond, each word uttered clearly with well thought out effort. “Filthy elf magic and sword, bow stays.” Various figures began to form along the dense foliage of the forest, her eyes shifted to scan their numbers, ever searching for the mage elf.

The warg was acting atypical but the huntress had no time to scrutinize what was disturbing Griz so profoundly. Only the approach of the dark haired elf had changed the scenario immensely and that did not seem so much a hazard as Grizzy was now displaying. Tenderly the orc whispered to the warg. “Haz.” The word clearly meant as a reassurance to the orcess’s companion. The affect could unmistakably be seen upon Blyxx as well, corded muscles relaxed as the warbow dipped a few grains. Blood red eyes flickered for a small number of blinks as her stare wandered to lull on the nearby elf woman.

With enormous exertion Blyxx sought to converse with the golden-eyed woman once again. The words staggered and clearly not well practiced. “Irid, give money, Grizzy, I come with and help retched elves.” With a casual nod as if to assure the woman understood, the huntress staggered onward in Tharian. “Take me Irid now! I no kill.”   
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 03:55:25 AM by Twén Aråerwén » Logged
Rukaqua
Brashy Bladeswoman
Approved Character

Human, Serpherlorian

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 05:02:08 AM »

It was the morning after the attack and Ruka, her moneybag rather fuller than usual, and slept and eaten very well.  The young nobleman had paid and left quickly, obviously startled by the events and wanting to get himself settled into his aunt’s house as quickly as possible.  It was understandable.  Plus, it had given the warrior time to find a tavern of a little higher quality than her usual haunts.  The food had been good and the bed soft, warm and devoid of bugs.  She has even managed to get herself the utmost of luxories: a bath. 

So, the leather-clad woman now sat in the parlour of the inn, eating a breakfast of bread, cold meats and cheese.  Knowing it would not do to wait too long before searching for her next job, Ruka waved over the innkeeper.  “If you hear of anyone lookin’ fer a body guard of some sort, let me know right? The question was devoid of polite formalities but it was delivered in a respectful tone.   The man’s own accent was far more cultured than his guest’s.  “Well actually Miss, there was an elf in here yesterday saying she was hiring.  Might be what you’re looking for.  Strange golden eyes she had, but then I couldn’t tell you if that was normal for those creatures or not.  Said she was setting up camp on the road north towards Elsreth, about a stral away.  So she shouldn’t be hard to find.” 

Thanking the man, Ruka leaned her weight back against the chair and finished the rest of the cheese and water.  True, she had only come from a contract the day before, but work always seemed to come in patches and if she didn’t try for this one then maybe she wouldn’t be able to find anything else for a while.  Investigating it would do no harm at least.  The warrior packed up her few possessions, paid the innkeeper and left, using the still-rising sun to point her in the direction of the north gate. 

After almost ten minutes of following the smooth northern-bound track, the young warrior began to hear noises coming from a patch of woodland.  She moved slower and more quietly, trying to determine what was going on, but the voices were further away than she had thought and distorted by the trees between them.  The tall and frankly rather conspicuous woman placed her over-sized feet as carefully as she could, not heading straight for the line of smoke she could see rising in between the trees.  As she passed a memorable-looking rock, she slipped the leather bag from her shoulders and dropped it too the floor.  Ruka removed the two blades from their holders and carried on towards the fait noises.  Not approaching from quite the same angle as the rest of the party, she spotted the orc at the same time as she caught her first glimpse of them. 

Her shock at seeing the warlike, wild creature so close to a civilised town outweighed the pang of fear at the animal’s accurately-aimed bow.  She stepped back a pace, unsubtly crunching a twig under her boot.  These people needed help, and the warrior’s conscience told her to help them, but getting herself shot before she’d even had time to greet them was not going to be a good move.   However, surprises were not yet over.  In response to a voice whose owner Ruka could only catch a side-long glimpse of, actual Tharian words slipped from the beast’s mouth.   It seemed to be offering its help to the party.  A few seconds passed before Ruka could react, and she missed the other’s reaction.  Well, the warrior could not deny that having such a powerful companion certainly was appealing, if the creature would indeed stay on their side.  And the possibility that it wouldn’t was why the group most certainly could use her help.  Stepping forward into full view of the party for the first time, Ruka slowly, and with delibrat care laid her weapons upon the ground in front of her.  Her eyes remained on the orc all the time, but really the two blades would do her very little good when her potential attacker possessed both bow and mount as until she straightened up.  Only when this was done did she turn to the golden-eyed elf. “I would also like t’offer my services to this party.  I’m called Rukaqua”
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 05:05:49 AM by Rukaqua » Logged

Lyon Ridgebane
Aspiring Writer
Approved Character

Human, Kanapan - Sildereo

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 09:02:37 AM »

Voices flew in the air around him. The forest was dense with the bodies of the women in his midst, and Lyon breathed slowly and carefully, taking each in separately so as not to become overwhelmed. He’d straightened again, hearing footsteps beside him and the happy voice of the woman, Laughter, beside him. Not only did she reveal that she was a mage, she’d spoken a different language, and had his eyes been visible they would have widened in surprise and delight. A broad grin broke across his face for a moment, revealing white teeth as he took in the melodic sound of another language—something he’d rarely ever heard and never had the chance to explore. Beautiful! he rejoiced on the inside, but he knew now was not the time to begin conversation.

Rather, it seemed to be time to make haste in peacemaking. The Foreigner indicated the danger he now faced was an Orc, and Lyon was thankful for the human need to speak and converse in tense situations. If it were a more introverted group surrounding him he may be at a complete loss. The Knight lowered her blade, but warning stood in her voice. All had come closer to where the Leader and himself stood, and the Kanapan did not move a muscle. He’d rather not show himself as a threat in any way. 

Yet another woman spoke, biting sarcasm in her voice. A warning against the Orc. Lyon’s arm actually moved reflexively in the event of the new speaker. He could possibly be surrounded by any number of people he wasn’t aware of! Cold sweat broke out upon his brow as this thought occurred to him. A lone man, surrounded by a horde of Orcs, with only a small, unseen, and hostile army at his side. The odds in every way against him, will he choose to battle until his death, or surrender his life to those who stand in his way? Shaking his head a little, his hair moving like a mane down his back, the writer cleared his mind. Focus on what you know, fool. He told himself stubbornly. Alright, so Sarcasm joined their party.

The Orc’s response was, although broken, one offering aid in their situation. In focusing on the beast again, Lyon inhaled the odor that marked it, and was now sure it stood not far before him. A crooked smile led to murmured words, immediately accepting her, ”She seems peaceful; her Warg under control. If I may offer my opinion, I would not threaten one come only to help...” His voice was soft and unsure, as he usually was. Eventually Lyon would learn confidence, but until then only those immediately beside him would hear his words.

A twig snapped and the man tensed again, his staff rising from the ground perpendicular to the forest floor; defensive. Blast! He thought with frustration, scolding himself for ever thinking he could handle being part of a large party of people. Despite the startling noise, he was thankful for the warning. When Rukaqua spoke, the writer was not surprised as he was with the others. She stood to the side of him, also coming in peace. And also another female, but more gruff and confident than the others.  Again he played over each in his mind. The Orc before him. Laughter, the Leader, the Knight, the Foreigner on his sides. Rukaqua newly come, and further off Sarcasm stood observing.

Taking a long breath and a chance, Lyon stepped forward again. He relied strongly on his memory of Irid’s smell to guide him, muskier and more animal-like than the others. She was only a few Peds before him, and he slowly moved, raising a scarred hand. It bumped lightly against her back before he found her shoulder. He lifted his head and spoke to her, the Orc, and any who could hear. ”Each gathered here comes in peace, there is no need for hostile air here. Please, tell us more about your quest.” Softly the Kanapan voiced his opinion, truly curious of this search the woman had organized. If he was honest with himself, he also wanted this confusion to end so he could make more sense of things, associate names with those present, and begin to discover if he could handle this adventure after all.

I am not alone, I am not afraid, I am not unhappy. Lyon.
Maue
The Green Rider
Approved Character

Elf, Aellenhrim

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008, 12:08:24 PM »

Maue turned so that she was able to eye the  newcomer. The woman with the blades did not look like a mage. That at least was good. The other two she could not be certain of. "Well this is going to be an interesting group. I wonder, will Irid accept the orc's offer? More of us have seggusted that she accept the offer than decline it." Maue's thoughts brought her eyes back to where the orc sat on her warg. She listened as the blind boy asked to learn more of the quest. "Yes, now that we have all agreed to help it would be best if we knew what we were doing." Maue couldn't help the smirk that came to her face as her thoughts continued.

Maue remembered that she had dropped Witz's reins as she saw him step past her only one palmspan from her reach. The horse was making a deffinate path twords the orc. "Damn that horse!" Maue cursed to her self as she stumbled foreward trying to both grab Witz and keep from enflaming any member of the already tense party. At last she whispered to her horse, "Witz, ye come bach here now. Ye need nod play ye games among dis crowd. Dere is enough ta sdress every one widoud ye." The horse ignored her and continued foreward. He stopped when he had cleared all of the elves and humans. The black horse then turned and began to graze.

Maue stepped foreward and stopped. She wanted to claim her horse but was nervous of crossing in front of the mage. "Well it is not like he is actually hurting someone. And he isn't in anyone's way." Maue's excuses sounded pathetic in her head. She should just walk past the mage and grab Witz's reins. Maue breifly glanced away from her horse. The problem of the orc was all but solved. The knight would have a hurt ego, but the elf with gold eyes would surly let the orcess join their party.

Maue took a deep breath and stepped past the mage. As she approached her mount Maue saw that two more people had stopped to watch the confrontation. How large would this group be?

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.

E.A. Poe
Irid alMenie
Wolf-Lady
Story Mod

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2008, 03:33:50 PM »

Irid had to think things over. It had taken her a moment to understand what the orcess was saying, and now she wasn't sure what she should do. On the other hand, she didn't have that much of a choice - before anyone could reach the orcess with a weapon, she could have killed at least two people already - Irid had seen how quick she'd been. On the other hand, she seemed to have some skills that could come in handy during the quest. She could hear others arriving, and voices speaking, but she couldn't take her eyes off the orcess right now.

It was a hand on her shoulder, a voice near her ear, that made her take her decision. She nodded her head. "Alright. If you lower that bow, I will hire you. Let us go back to the camp, and I will explain why I wanted to hire people." She stepped to the side, to allow the orcess to join them, and gestured back in the direction from which they'd come. In doing so, she ended just in front of the blind man. She put a light hand on his arm. "Thank you." She said simply. "Will you come as well?" She marvelled for a moment at the length of his hair, but then decided now was not the time for observing personal traits. If she remembered correctly, she'd heard more voices than just the people who'd come into the camp earlier.

Looking at them now, she saw that there was a leather-clad, very well-endowed woman, with some pretty sharp-looking weapons in front of her, a sword and a dagger. A bit further to the side were two black-haired people, who looked more or less alike. Twins, perhaps? Had these people also reacted to her announcement in the inns, or had they just been travelling and come to see what the commotion was about? She would see. They were in any case welcome to join them. Just to be sure, she invited them as well. "Please, you are welcome in my little camp. It's just a little way ahead."

She suddenly realised her hand was still resting on the blind man's arm. Taking it away, she laughed and said: "Sorry, I got a bit distracted." She looked back for a moment to see if the orc was coming, then walked to the camp, talking to the blind man. He seemed too independent to be led by the arm, but she figured that it'd help to hear her voice. "I knew a blind woman once. I met her in an inn, she was travelling on her own. She was one of the most courageous people I knew. I remember how she wanted to feel my face with her hands, to know what I looked like. If you hear my story and decide to stay with us, do you want to do that as well? It might be good for you to know the party... Oh, here we are. Please, sit. I apologise that I don't have any comfortable chairs, the ground will have to do. I hope you don't mind." She sat down herself as well, and waited for the others to come back as well. When everyone was there, she would explain just what they were doing here. If anyone else wanted to join them, they'd get a recaps later - she couldn't wait forever.

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Lyon Ridgebane
Aspiring Writer
Approved Character

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 05:43:35 PM »

Lyon smiled, his lips a thin line as Irid spoke to the Orc with sense. More sense than even the Knight seemed to be possessing. Despite her strange smell, the men thought he liked their Leader very much. It seemed with a strange species such as an Orc, a Warg and on top of that at least one mage present, things might be tense for a while. Lyon had learned in his travels that not everyone was as diverse and accepting as he would like to believe. He thought himself extremely blessed to be rid of the curse of judging outward appearances. It seemed to be quite a nuisance.

He heard Irid move and her thanks to him. He inclined his head in response and concentrated instead on the warm hand placed over his arm. Although the sleeve of his cloak did not allow their skin to touch, he felt the more petite form of a lady’s hand and the warmth of the human touch seemed to radiate on his forearm. It wasn’t often the Kanapan received an embrace or even a handshake. Only the very few times he’d been allowed to touch a face or explore the texture of another’s hair were in his memory. In fact, he could not recall experiencing the features of a woman’s face: only men. He supposed it was rather intimate, and could be taken the wrong way with a female.

To his surprise, though, the Leader seemed quite intend on allowing him to do so. He followed her voice and the sound of shoed feet on the forest floor as she spoke. His staff he placed firmly in the ground with each step, a little ahead of him, scouting for rocks or roots. It was encouraging the story he told of her blind friend, not only because she seemed to understand his state a little better, but because she did not think of it as a hindrance.

When they arrived back near the fire, Lyon heard its crackling, he sat beside the woman and nodded again. ”I know already that I will stay as long as I do not hinder you in your search. Voices and names stay clear in my memory, but I will recall you more keenly if I do explore your features, eventually…” He cut himself short, his voice dwindling, hoping that he wasn’t imposing. The man reached scarred hands to pull his mass of nor’sidion locks over his right shoulder and into his lap. Sitting cross-legged on the ground, he waited for the others to join them and the story to begin.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 05:44:01 PM by Lyon Ridgebane » Logged

Merýsa Stormblade
Sacred Sword
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2008, 02:34:27 AM »

Merysa was focused solely on the orc and the warg. She was beginning to think that this Irid elf woman was not in her right mind. She actually sought peace with this creature? To Merysa, a lurker hiding behind bushes with a very nasty warg was not something to befriend. If anything, it was something to destroy. Merysa briefly relished the thought of combat with an orc. She had heard many tales of orc battle prowess while growing up in the temple. Orcs were respected for their cunning and extraordinary battle ability, but also loathed for their evil ways.

Merysa had never met an orc in person, so she reserved judgment on the evil ways until she could actually witness an evil act from the green skinned creature. If she did, Merysa promised herself that she would be the first to run her blade through the orc woman's body as well as her pet warg.

The knight glanced at the newcomers as they approached the tense group of adventurers. Two young looking people, very similar in appearance, and bearing a downright biting and sarcastic attitude. The knight was above engaging in such petty verbal backtalk and instead ignored the two.

The second newcomer was a woman, a large brutish looking woman, wielding dual blades in her large hands and tattoos on her face. She appeared to Merysa as a barbarian from the North, but couldn't be sure. She had met many such warriors from the cold Northern lands during her training and instantly found a respect in the woman's fierce and unwavering gaze. The tattooed woman possessed a fiery combat spirit, Merysa was sure of it.

Once the orc started speaking, Merysa frowned as her ears nearly shriveled in protest at having to understand the orc woman's peculiar Tharian accent. The orc sounded gutteral like an animal grunting in pain. Merysa was unaccustomed to such uncouth sounds and wished for the orc to cease at once. From what Merysa could determine, the orc did not mean any harm and only was looking to join the group.

Hire an orc? Merysa was dumbfounded.

Irid then summoned them all to the camp to discuss further plans for this journey. Merysa did not move, however, and kept vigil over the orc and her warg. Her blade was lowered by her side, but her arm and hand were tense, ready to spring forward should the orc betray them.

The knight gave a whistle and Caern, her powerful Kev'lor steed, trotted to her. The animal's heavy hooves thumped loudly along the ground and its armor clinked quietly against its body. The horse seemed unafraid of the warg, having been trained to behave among all manner of distractions, but clearly Caern was alert and Merysa couldn't blame him.

Then to Irid, before she moved away to the camp, the knight said quietly: "I must caution against this, Miss Irid. Bringing an orc into this is surely asking for trouble. Nevertheless, should you be set in this decision, I shall keep a wary eye on the orc and her warg creature."
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 02:59:33 AM by Merýsa Stormblade » Logged

"When my god speaks, you will listen."
Maue
The Green Rider
Approved Character

Elf, Aellenhrim

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2008, 07:37:03 AM »

Maue grabbed Witz's reins as soon as she reached her misbehaving horse. She then spun around to see what was going on Behind her. The golden eyed elf, or Irid as she should be called, had started to move towards the fire. Along with her was the blind human. Fallowing the two was the knight. She looked truly upset. The decision about the orc seemed to have turned her opinion. "Well I might as well join them at the fire. I want to learn more about Irid's quest." Maue shrugged to herself. She walked back over to the fire purposely placing Witz between herself and the mage.

The blind human and Irid were already sitting by the fire. Maue had no intention of letting Witz cause any trouble that would force her to be removed from this party so she continued walking until she was about three fores into the forest. Here she quickly tied Witz's reins to a low hanging branch. She made sure to tie it high enough that he would not be able to graze, the idea of cleaning cud out of a bit disgusted her. Then with a quick motion Maue loosened Witz's saddle. She would leave it on him but not so uncomfortable so as to make him squirm. AS soon as these adjustments were made a squawk came out of the air and Cal flew down from his circles up above. The corbie landed on the branch that Maue had tied Witz's reins to and looked at Maue. He cocked his head and called out again.

Maue smiled at her friend and lifted her hand to stroke his head. Cal allowed two gentle pats before he pulled away. Quietly to her friends Maue whispered, "Well I found someding ta do. Dese people seem nice. Dat is oder dan dee mage. We will have fun." She smiled and turned around.

It only took Maue a moment to rejoin the group around the fire. She at down with a simple movement across from Irid. "Well ye said ye would say of ye quesd, now I know we are all inderesded. Please led us here." Maue raised a hand to her new employer dropping it slowly to indicate she was ready to hear the woman's tale.

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.

E.A. Poe
Blyxx
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2008, 08:37:15 AM »

The invite of the golden-eyed elf gave Blyxx a sense of ease although some tension was left in the air by coarse remarks. It was not a sensation the orc was unaccustomed to but it was also not an atmosphere she preferred. More than a few ideas came to mind for the huntress as she lowered the warbow from the knightess, letting the bowstring go loose and resting it along a powerful thigh. The orcess glowered momentarily at the human’s back as she wandered away, if not for honor she would have shot then. Instead she swung a leg over the back of the hefty warg and slithered tentatively to the ground. As booted feet touched the earth one taloned hand slide the readied arrow from its latency and returned it to the quiver.

For a blink the glint of steel flashed in the sunlight and the orcess’s karikrimson gaze elevated to stare at the woman that had laid a set of blades upon the ground. Even though the distance was somewhat expansive between Blyxx and the hulking figure, she knew that the woman was easily a third of a ped taller. The idea that the warrior had walked up comparatively unobserved concerned the huntress immeasurably. There had been so much conversation and bustle it was undeniably difficult for the orc to remain focused on it all. But to have missed such a colossal form was a blunder the Rhom’oc would not make again. The hunter crooked her blackened lips into, what was for her, a lukewarm smile and articulated loud enough for the other to heed. “Y’cha.”

Without awaiting a response from the other, Blyxx’s hand slid down the reins of Grizzy and began to tag along behind the others, back to the encampment. Pausing outside the clearing the orc began to rummage through the saddlebags at last returning with a large portion of meat, which she promptly tossed before the warg. The beast tore into the flesh with enthusiastic glee, growling, as it played with the food in-between devouring it. The huntress knew without salt the remainder of what was perishable would go to waste swiftly if not eaten or cooked. With a campfire raging and a yarn to be told the least she could do was share before it spoiled. Unfettering the clasps holding the saddlebag to Griz the orcess hefted it over a powerful shoulder and ambled towards the fire.

Blood red eyes surveyed the group as she apathetically approached the man with linen over his eyes. Setting the heavy package down alongside him the orcess whispered meekly. “Pick.” Blyxx was habituated to the men eating the choice pieces and was not about too affront this one by not offering. Almost as timidly as she had drawn near the orc set off to collect a suitable stick to cook with. It took her only a few moments in the midst of the foliage to return with a proper cooking utensil. She took due caution as to not be poised beside the knight yet within reaching distance of the evidently blind man, seating herself along the rim of the fire. The huntress sat quietly staring at the golden-eyed elf, guessing this must be Irid, as she had never said.

Nonchalantly Blyxx twisted about at the waist and sat her warbow on the earth behind her. Usually setting such a weapon on the ground would be out of the question for the huntress, but the proximity of the flames would keep it protected from dampness for sometime. Gingerly her fingertips caressed its wooden surface lovingly before she turned about to face the others. Once again the orc’s eyes fixated upon Irid, although the orcess's fearful gaze could not linger long without eying the human man beside her. The hunter had not eaten yet today but she dared not interrupt him whilst he choose his portion. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 08:49:51 AM by Blyxx Preypacer » Logged
Lyon Ridgebane
Aspiring Writer
Approved Character

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2008, 09:22:51 AM »

Lyon listened closely as others joined the group. The Foreigner sat across the fire; he heard her voice straight before him. He contemplated the warning of the Knight, wondering why she would still be worried after the obvious display of peace. Was she so distrusting? Internally he scolded himself for judging her too quickly. Perhaps she had a bad experience with Orcs in the past, a real reason for her ways and her warning. He would not know unless he asked.

The warmth of Irid’s body and her now familiar smell beside him caused the blind man to relax as he sat. No harm would come to him here, he had not lost his bearings as all. The forest sounds around them was reassurance that they were in the same place, probably a clearing area with only a few trees. He wondered if Sarcasm was to join their party, and his brow furrowed as he turned his head as if seeking her out. Twisted back towards the direction they’d come, listening hard between deep breaths, but could not decipher anything but what he assumed were the approaching footsteps of the Orc female.

Sure enough, her peculiar odor caught his nostrils and he heard her gruff speech. “Pick” she said to him, or at least he assumed it was to him as he whipped his head around and something thumped to the forest floor beside him. Pick? The question caught him off guard. He held firmly to the staff now sitting across his lap and opened his mouth to say softly, ”I’m sorry m’l… lady, “ He did not know what to address her as… ”I’m afraid I cannot choose what goes unseen.” He smiled, chuckling a little as he tugged at the bandage around his eyes. Pulling it loose, it fell below his chin to hang around his neck.

The Kanapan felt that his eyelids were open, although the world stayed as black as it had been moments before. Any onlooker would see the scarred tissue from the burns around his eye sockets, and the milky, glazed-over appearance of the orbs themselves. Large hands moved to replace the bandage as he said ”I apologize, miss, “ He assumed she sat, but was not fully sure. He kept his head faced towards her voice. Moving his hand, he bumped it into the object, finding that it was a bag of some sort. Pushing against it, he found it heavy as it sounded when it hit the soil. Leaning in close, the writer smelled it, inhaling deeply and pulling away with a scrunched nose.

Shaking his head slowly, he said with obvious regret and fear in his deep voice. ”Ah, I regret to say if it is meat you require me to... pick… I will not be participating.” He feared her response and gripped his staff again anxiously, but he would not eat meat.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 09:44:39 AM by Lyon Ridgebane » Logged

The Illiana Twins
Traveling Kitchen
Approved Character

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2008, 06:59:41 PM »

Xanth's lips curled slightly as the knight ignored her comment; choosing instead to turn away coldly. She wasn't miffed at the icy demanour of the knight, she had plenty of that kind of treatment in her life. Comes with her overactive tongue.

Behind her, Xander was sizing up the crew. Like his previous observation, the knight was definitely someone he was wary of, especially with that sword of hers. The orc was, well, flavour to this group. It would be interesting to see how things turned out with her and the knight. Somehow, he didn't think that they would be bosom buddies in the end. The Aellenhrim and the Ylfferhim were pretty enough, but he couldn't be sure of much besides their looks. No matter, there would be plenty of time to get to know them.

Hearing Irid's request to gather around her small campfire, Xander tapped Xanth's arm, motioning back to the small clearing. "Think the knight will get along with the orcess?" Xanth's turquoise eyes sparkled with silent laughter as she contemplated the many possible scenarios, all of them comedic, ending with both covered in mud. "You have a funny sense of humour, friend." Xander noticed her smile, realising what she was thinking.

As they drew closer to the camp, he let out a small sigh. He could imagine what his sister was thinking, but much darker endings also came to mind. "I don't think they'll gel. They seem like orange juice and mint. Not to be mixed. But we'll see, yeah?" By this time, they had arrived at the camp, slightly behind the orcess. As they were about to sit down, Xanth's sharp nose picked out the smell of raw meat. Emerald eyes glanced around, pinpointing the package of raw meat near the only other male there. A grin spread across her face. If she could, she would use that to dazzle the rest with her skills. The elfess sat down gently beside the man, pulling her brother down next to her and asked the man, "Is that your meat? Would you like me to cook it?"

"Xanth, later. Irid wishes to speak." Xander, hearing her question, whispered quietly to her. Xanth blinked, and nodded, feeling embarassed at being rude. "Later, okay?" she murmmured to the blindfolded man, before turning to Irid, her attention now completely focused at the golden eyed elf.

Rukaqua
Brashy Bladeswoman
Approved Character

Human, Serpherlorian

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2008, 01:15:44 AM »

The woman who Ruka spoke to was rather most defiantly the one she had come to seek.  Looking at the elf, the warrior could see why the innkeeper had remembered her eyes above all else.  They were a strange yellowy gold and seemed to stand out from her face as if they didn’t quite fit.  Something about them clashed against the fine elven cheekbones and stately bearing. Ruka had not seen many elves up close, but this was certainly the most down-to-earth one she had met.  That could be good.  Maybe this job would provide some fun as well as money.  The woman’s thoughts were drawn to the dice in her pack, but that would have to wait until later.  Still, getting the group talking to one another might work better under their influence, and a relaxed party was a happy party.  Ruka’s mind questioned the wisdom of bringing the orc along with them, not only because the thing’s trustworthiness was uncertain, but also for the balance of the group.  But then, that was not the mercenary’s decision.

Stooping down to pick up her blades and slot them back into their two scabbards, Ruka was slightly slower than the other members of the group who she could see moving through the trees after the elf.  As she straightened up again the warrior woman saw that the orc had slipped from her canine mount too. The beast looked far less menacing from this height, although Ruka noticed that its muscles were still firm and well used.  The orc seemed to smile at her, although it was unclear if the expression was friendly or mocking, and made a guttural, grunting sound which sounded like it should be a word but unfortunately made no sense to the warrior.  Were those feminine curves which softened the menacing green form?  It could be, but under the leather jacket it was hard to tell.  Ruka had never seen an orc before and also vaguely remembered hearing that they were even more patriarchal than other human tribes.  If this was indeed a female then it had gained a little of Ruka’s respect for doing what she saw as taking her rightful place.  However, it was still the warrior’s duty to watch out for the others, and she would not let her eye stray too far from this potential threat.

Stepping after the orc, Rukaqua took a quick detour to fetch her dropped bag, and then entered the clearing where the smoke was coming from.  The large woman settled herself on the most comfortable rock she could find and took a moment to examine the others.  Oblivious of the short leather skirt which rode up  as she sat, the woman quietly removed the belt from around her waist and set it down beside her within easy reach. She was frankly surprised at how many of them there were, and the range of different people.  There were two men, one whose eyes were covered in the guise of a blind man, one with the slender, slightly womanly figure of an elf.  There were three others of that race besides golden-eyes too, one with a staff and impractical white robe which said possible mage to Ruka, one who looked very like the male elf, and the last who at least had the slightly-roughened skin of someone who worked outdoors.  An armoured woman with a long, powerful looking sword was the only other.  “Well we are a mixed bunch, aren’t we” commented the warrior woman, her voice loud and faintly mocking.

Menweh Reolláolásh’miés
Wind Caller
Approved Character

Elf, Ylfferhim

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2008, 04:45:15 AM »

Menweh had been lost in thought. Her mind had taken off shortly after the blind man had left her side.

In her mind they had been traveling south over the Rahaz-dath Desert. The burning light of the injèrá blazed against their backs, and the sands beneath them scorched their soles. It had been an exceptionally hot day, the warg was panting, and the orc was hanging her head. The knight had stubbornly refused to take off her armor, saying it would be better to suffer, and live than to give in and die. Irid was at the head of the group with a guide, wrapped in loose, baggy clothing. The horse-elf was riding atop her beast, who looked as though it was going hard for him. She walked at the end of column sigh and thinking that she should have never left Ximax. Then an idea popped into her head. Menweh could make it easier on all of them by send them a cooling breeze.

She began to concentrate, and sending the right amount of power through the ounia to create a small breeze around their camp. She muttered under her breath, “avásh zeiát nó,”

Menweh dazedly shook the dream from her head when she had heard the thud of an object on the opposite side of the fire. The elfess looked down at it. It seemed to be a haunch of meat from the… the orcess?... when did that happen?! She turned and looked at their party. They had grown in number; they had added yet another two elves, and another Warrior type. Meweh sighed; her dreams would be the death of her one day. She smiled at the orcess and walked around the fire too her. The Elfess sat next to the other side of the Orc.

“Since weh aree all travelin' together weh should get to know one another. well at least ehach other's names. I am sorry if you've already said them. I have a tendency wandehr off in my mind.” She spoke musically. Menweh looked at the meat. Menweh liked meat herself, it was a treat to have it flame touched, yet still soaked in blood, and she was used to dried meats that would not spoil at sea. She situated her green cloak about her as she sat. The elf looked over at the group assembled by the fire. Next to her sat the orc, to her sat the blind man, and then two other elves. On of them was a man, who seemed to catch her eyes for a moment before looking on, and the other was a woman who had just offered to cook the meat.

“My name is Menweh Reolláolásh’miés,”
She smiled serenely at them. A Gust of wind she had not conjured blew her loose gold-white hair, making it dance around her. The elf just shook her head and laughed. Gothar was an interesting one that was for sure!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]