Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chapter 3: Reuniting in Hog....  (Read 13156 times)
Sinen Darkchild
Fighter
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« on: May 01, 2003, 09:38:22 AM »

OOC: ok chapter 3....lets jump start this story before it needs to be....

Fools rush into battle blindly, but who is really the fool? The fool or the fool who follows him.

Fools rush into battle blindly, but who is really the fool? The fool or the fool who follows him?

Sinen Darkchild CD
Muargath
New Santharian

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 03:34:22 PM »

Mable grinned again, "My dear, you have come to the right place..."  

You got that right, old woman...
 The old, gnome healer's words ran through Muargath's mind again as she chuckled and hurried down the main street back to the inn.  She had cleverly occupied the medecine woman's time with witty and friendly conversation, while the herbs and potions were mixed for Gashnum's benefit.  Once the price was agreed upon, Muargath masterfully pretended that she hadn't realized she'd left her money pouch back at the inn... and how she needed to run and get it first.  And Mable, so kind and wise, yet so blissfully naive, allowed Muargath to walk out the door with the goods- after Muargath swore to return right away with the coin to pay, of course!  Muargath just couldn't believe her good luck!  By the time she realizes that I'm not coming back, we'll be well on our way...  Additionally, Muargath had given the woman a fake name and told her she was staying at the Goose-Hollow Inn, which was on the other side of town.  Sometimes she was just too clever for her own good.

Reaching the Riverside Inn's front porch, Muargath hurried inside, closing the heavy, wooden door firmly behind her.  She waved to Vir and Elende as she went by with the precious, and deviously gained, medicinal goods, stopping at the bar only long enough to get a pot of boiling water and a clean mug from the bartender.  She quickly went upstairs to Gashnum's room.  

Her friend was unconscious on the bed, breathing rather shallow.  Duster, laying on the floor by the small bed, looked up as she entered the room and whined quietly.  "Don't worry, boy... we'll make him better."  She reassured the dog, but also to reassure herself as well.  

Setting the items on the  nearby table, she carefully opened the herb-pouch and put a good measure into a piece of cheesecloth and tied the end tight, then dropped the small bundle into the hot water to steep.  She remembered the old gnome's instructions- to only let the water turn a light brown, like worn leather, because if it gets too dark, it would possibly stop Gashnum's heart.  She wanted Gashnum to live...

Muargath watched the tea from the corner of her eye as she turned her attention to a small, glass vial Mable had handed her.  The liquid inside was clear and green-tinged and of an oily consistancy.  Three drops only, every two bells for one day.  Then after that, twice a day until all gone.  She pulled out the cork and winced as the bitter smell reached her sensative nose.  Oh, this stuff is awful!  I am so sorry, Gashnum!  

Muargath sat down on the small bed next to him.  Lucky for her, he was already on his back.  She turned over the cork and put three drops onto the inside part where it sat in a tiny puddle.  She placed the vial in the remaining cheesecloth so it remained upright, then gently opened Gashnum's mouth with her free hand so she could access his tongue.  Before he could react, she gently, yet firmly swiped the tilted cork across his tongue, pulling it out quickly in case he should involuntarily snap his teeth shut...  

"There is serenity in Chaos.
Seek ye the Eye of the Hurricane."
- so says the Principia Discordia

Edited by: Muargath   at: 5/2/03 6:41:15 am
Muargath
New Santharian

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2003, 05:13:22 PM »

Nothing.  No reaction at all.  And with as bitter as this stuff was, at the very least he should have made a face, even when unconscious.  Concern flared in Muargath as she grabbed the vial and quickly stoppered it with the cork.  Tossing it back onto the bundle of cheesecloth, she leaned forward and put both her hands on Gashnum's face.  His skin was so hot!  Oh no... !   From the floor, Duster whined again...

She pulled back and tried not to panic, all the while wringing her hands.  Uhm... let's see... the old gnome said the tea would counter the fever.  But if he isn't awake, how will he drink?  Suddenly remembering the tea, she glanced over and saw it was just the right color.  She fished the soaked bundle out with her fingers, Ooh, ouch, hot! dropping the soggy little pouch onto the table next to the small pot.  She then poured some of the brownish, steaming liquid into the mug.  Too hot to drink, this needs to cool...  Picking up the mug, she blew on the tea's surface twice, then set it down again.  I need a spoon to stir it, it'll cool faster...

Jumping up from the side of the cot, she went to the bureau where the wash basin sat and saw the pitcher was empty.  She grabbed it up and ran out the door, barely closing it behind her. Once down the stairs, she fairly shoved the pitcher into the barkeep's hands and said, "Fill this please...cool water!  And I need a spoon, too!  And hurry!"  Looking around franticly, she caught Vir's eye and waved her over, then pointed toward the stairs.  Muargath couldn't help but look worried...

Sinen Darkchild
Fighter
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2003, 03:29:22 AM »

Hurrying to the local inn, hoping the rest will be there, Sinen bursts through the door into the inn building. He spots Muargath and Virisse quite quickly.....Alia stumbles in behind him....

SINEN "Muargath, sorry for the delay....Dray and Gararion are just behind me.....You look troubled...what's wrong?"

Fools rush into battle blindly, but who is really the fool? The fool or the fool who follows him.

Fools rush into battle blindly, but who is really the fool? The fool or the fool who follows him?

Sinen Darkchild CD
Muargath
New Santharian

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2003, 07:32:22 AM »

Muargath saw Sinen come through the door.  Even so, there was little relief at the sight of him.  "Sinen!  Thank the gods for your safe arrival!"  

The barkeep returned just then with a full pitcher and a spoon and Muargath only paused to add, "I have a very sick friend upstairs, so I can't talk right now!  Vir will have to fill you in..."  before dashing back up the stairs.  

Viresse
New Santharian

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2003, 06:55:22 AM »

With a full belly, she leaned back in the chair and began to relax, when a flurry of thunderous steps came down teh sairs. Natural curiouslity piqued and she looked, to see Muargath flustered like a Taenish whose chicks had been taken. Muargath waved her over and then pointed to the Stairs.

She rose from her chair with a confused look, and thought about what could be going on... the Traveller with the horse...? He must be doing poorly... or she's over-reacting.
Vir began to make her way over, Sinen arrived, apparently alone.

Viresse stopped in her tracks. They're back?! Well, then where is Gararion?! And that other fellow? She furrowed her brows and began to walk toward Muargath, which is where Sinen headed.

She only caught the last words Muargath said to Sinen as she took the pitcher back up the stairs. " ... Vir will have to fill you in..."

Vir watched Muargath thunder up the stairs, then looked to Sinen, her eyes narrowed accusingly. "You will not get answers until I get mine own... Where is Gararion? ... and who is she? "

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - Adventures of Caelereth Administrator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Edited by: Viresse  at: 5/5/03 9:57:00 pm
Dray Ducroix
New Santharian

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2003, 08:16:22 AM »

*Sinen takes off once he reaches hog saying he is going to find the others. Dray who was used to long travel and days with little rest was even fatigued.*

"Geeze elves can put up with anything I guess....you tired at all Gararion?"

*Dray looks over at the robed elf as he continues at a slower pace than Sinen towards the inn where they were to meet with the others. Dray was looking forward to a day of rest and relaxing in a bed. He had enough money for a night he believed.*

Sinen Darkchild
Fighter
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2003, 09:51:22 AM »

SINEN "Vir, Gararion and Dray are behind me...We just got into Hog a little while ago and I took off for the inn as fast as I could....Let's just say I was let in on a bit of knowledge that I may be needed back....This here is Alia Locktear, a close friend if you will."

The lady steps forward....

ALIA "A pleasure to meet you...."

Sinen Darkchild CD
Muargath
New Santharian

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2003, 02:15:22 PM »

Muargath went quickly back into the room and set the pitcher down too fast, accidently sloshing some water out onto the table's wooden surface.  

One glance at her friend and she saw Gashnum's face was flush from the fever, yet there was no moisture on his skin.  Alarmed, she dropped the spoon into the tea mug, snatched up a nearby towl and plunged it into wide open mouth of the pitcher, soaked up some water and halfway rang it out with both hands.  She took this wet cloth and gently wiped at his brow, down along the side of his face and to his neck, hoping the cool water would revive Gashnum enough for him to drink the tea.  Oh!  The tea...!  She sat next to him on the bed and began to stir the hot liquid with spoon in left hand while dabbing at his skin with the cloth in right hand.

Viresse
New Santharian

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2003, 07:50:22 AM »

She lets her brows unfurrow, and nods once. She looks to the Alia person and shakes strongly, more as a sign of strength than of friendship. Better not have a nice spell up your sleeve or... she couldn't think of what she'd do. She shrugged it off and looked to the stairs.

"I'm going upstairs to see if I can help at all. If you wish to follow, so be it. Maybe Lady Alia can help?" She did not look at Sinen at all as she spoke, she kept her eyes on Alia.

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - Adventures of Caelereth Administrator

Muargath
New Santharian

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2003, 05:20:22 AM »

The door, still ajar from when she rushed in, opened further as Viresse entered the small room.  Muargath looked up, her gray eyes flooded with relief that someone had come to help her.  Duster, sitting patiently on the floor at her feet, whined softly.  Even he knew the gavity of the situation.

Muargath let go of the spoon in the mug.  "Vir, do you know how I can get him to drink some of this tea?  He isn't waking!  I'm at a total loss.... I'm not a healer..."  She paused to plunge the small towel into the pitcher again and wring it out.  Water dripping from her hands, she folded the cloth and laid it over Gashnum's fevered brow.  "I don't know what to do, Vir!  Please help?"  As he continued to breathe in shallow rasps, she reached out and smoothed back a damp lock of his hair.

Sinen Darkchild
Fighter
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2003, 05:38:22 AM »

Both Alia and Sinen follow Vir upstairs to find Gashnum in a fevered and sickly state and Muargath trying to help him....Alia steps quietly into the room and calmly walks near the sick man...

ALIA "Please, allow me to treat his fever. You shall find it difficult at best to get him to drink in his state, but there is something I can do. I am not only trained as a healer, but my magical abilities can be of useful in suppressing fever as well."  

Sinen Darkchild CD
Muargath
New Santharian

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2003, 06:27:22 AM »

Sinen and an unfamiliar woman came into the room right behind Viresse.  The woman approached and much to Muargath's astonishment, offered to help using magic...  

Muargath got up and back a few steps away.  "If you think it will help... please try.  He's had some of this," she indicated the small, corked vial that was nearly lost in a jumble of cheesecloth on the table, "and the old gnome told me it would ease his pain.  And this tea is to cool the fever.  But he won't wake up."  Muargath was wringing her hands and shuffling from one foot to the other as she spoke, clearly agitated by the whole ordeal.  "He was awake when I left, uhm, sort of.  Maybe a little disoreinted... he was mumbling a bit...  But I wasn't gone for very long, just long enough for Mable to mix up this medicine.  And I came back and he looked even worse.  All hot and feverish but not sweating... does that mean anything?  He needs more water, right?"  

"Oh, come here, Duster!"  She said, suddenly patting her thigh to call the dog, "Let the lady have some room to work."  Duster obediently got up and moved over by Muargath's feet, almost like he knew this was no time to be stubborn.

Sinen Darkchild
Fighter
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2003, 09:36:22 AM »

Alia steps beside the bed and kneels there placing one hand just above Gashnum's forhead. She weaves her other hand through a series of intricate motions as her eyes slide shut and a quiet light forms below her palm above Gashnum....She lefts her hand come to rest on his forehead and speaks in a gentle voice.."Sleep peacefully. Awaken tomorrow without the fires of fever. Find yourself rejuvenated and ready for the journey that lies ahead of you. Sleep your troubles away." The light dies and she stands and turns to Muargath...

ALIA "He will rest peacefully for the night and awaken tomorrow. His fever wil drop shortly and it should break completely by midnight and no later...My suggestion is to stay by his side until he awakens, but he should not need any real attention. Sinen, I think it best that we definately wait and rest a bit...The Fire Gem will have to wait no matter what the cost may be. That is my suggestion take it or leave it, but trust me as you always have."

SINEN "Muargath, Vir, I must say that we will wait a day or two more before setting out...I myself need to figure out what next anyway...Alia will be with us for a while so I hope you will show her some respect and hospitality. I'll be downstairs if you need me."

Sinen heads back downstairs and sits in a corner to think...Alia stays upstairs to keep and eye on Gashnum.

Sinen Darkchild CD
Viresse
New Santharian

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2003, 11:36:22 AM »

She stepped into the door to see a plaintive Muargath, in a pain that while she knew humans could have, had never herself seen before upon one. Muargath seemed scared, and worried... and lost. An emotion began to well up in Vir, who was allowed to wallow in it as Alia and Sinen came in and Vir slipped into the background.

Vir had the odd feeling to wrap an arm around Muargath- to console the short-lived human that things were to be fine. Whether it was the truth or not, Humans never seemed to matter in that respect. They needed touch and consolation in all matters of doubt and insecurity, and just those words of confidence lifted their spirits, even in the darkest hours.
In Elven sense, all things are to be well in the sleeping Mind of Ava, but Humans have no love for She the Creator, only for her children and their gifts. Then to whom should the pained Muargath turn to, in the dire need for consolation?

Viresse awoke herself from her thought as Alia seemed to finish a task of Magic. Vir was constantly wary of magic, and more wary of the stranger who wielded it. She took a wide berth of her and reached the side of Muargath, who had the Gashnum's dog at her feet. She looked to Gashnum and spoke to Muargath, not wanting to see her pain so up-close.

" Me'kroi... Seyella's Decree and Nehtor's hand will do what they can for Friend Gashnum. Either way he slips, it shall be better for him. Let Seyella slide Fate the Waking way, and Nehtor's touch in Healing..."

She let out a sigh, and glanced at Muargath out of the corner of her eye. So fragile they are....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]