Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Beggar's Alley  (Read 4421 times)
Eléyr Fásamár
Serenity's Embodiment
Approved Character

Elf ~ Kaýrrhem

« on: May 09, 2008, 05:35:49 AM »

The alley lays between the mighty outer walls of Bardavos and the back of some shabby looking houses. During the day the alley is crowded with beggars, pleading humbly for a san or two from the bypassers.

Clothed in rags in various states of dirtyness the beggars hope and pray for the many merchants and travellers to notice them in their misery and hand them a coin.

The situation at night however, is a completely the different story. The alley is populated by cut throats and thieves, eagerly awaiting a lone man or woman, or any defenseless passerbys, to rob them of whatever posession they have --- there are some who are unfortunate enough to also lose their lives at the same time.

This is of course a popular place for the Kanapan Terror and the ___.

Those who say only Insanity can bring true relaxation...
Have clearly never hired a Mindsmoother!

Eléyr's CD ~¤•¤~ Character Creation ~¤•¤~ Restrictions ~¤•¤~ CD Etiquette
Menweh Reolláolásh’miés
Wind Caller
Approved Character

Elf, Ylfferhim

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 12:47:04 PM »

The alley way that Menweh now traveled in had caught her attention as she had wandered down the market district. She looked from side to side, beggars offered up alms dishes, some looked at her oddly, almost as if they wanted to jump from the shadows and rob everything she own.

"Mè helvílá iú áh?“ The Elf Asked herself aloud, her musical elvish accent coming through. She made a mental note in her mind to get rags, or to come back cloaked in the unseen essence of wind.

The elfess felt as through she was royalty. A queen among the people of her queendom, she reached into her bag and began to distributed money to various beggars meeting their eyes with her flowery blue ones. After all is that not what a queen did? Did she not? The wizardess began to stride down the alley, the shabby houses one side became houses upon the royal road in her mind. The beggars each became welcoming nobles, smiling and applauding. She had come back to them from the war she had been in, her arm held their banner, not her walking staff. Menweh’s began to laugh cheerfully, smiling brightly at each of the beggars! Every one in her kingdom was free, finally! All, well most of them  anyways. The Elf queen felt a pang of sadness for her imaginary warriors that had fallen in battle. The wind toyed with the stands of hair that had escaped her golden-white braid, dancing with them and making her shadow, at least to Menweh, looked crowned.

Sela
Dark Seducer
Approved Character

Elf, Coór'hém

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 10:02:37 AM »

Sela looked up and listened. The dark elf woman's ears picked up the sound of coin being given and to the overjoyed whispers of beggars voicing their thanks. It was a sound rarely heard in the alleys of Bardavos. Most of the artists, entertainers and nobles who visited rarely ventured into the seedy back alleys and neighborhoods of the City of Artists. Save for an occasional intrepid artist looking for bleak and mournful subjects for a painting or sculpture, no one except the criminal and dangerous would dare enter Beggar's Alley.

Sela waved aside the two young thieves before her. She lost interest in the coin counting several minutes ago and had begun to sharpen one of her six daggers sheathed over her body. She was bored this day. Not much was happening in the city lately. At least, not much that interested her. Sela was a thief, yes, and more accurately she was an assassin hunting someone from her past with the hope passing each day of never finding him. Nevertheless, she found a home in Bardavos. For now.

The dark elf rose and moved towards the door that exited into the alley. The two thieves never bother to look up from their counting. Sela opened the door a crack and watched an elegant looking elf striding down the alley giving coin to the beggars. The wretched, smelly vagrants smiled toothless grins and whispered appreciation in harsh voices, some over fits of violent coughing.

The elf wore a disgusting looking smile on her face as she came. She seemed to be enjoying giving to the beggars and by the looks of her, she was not hurting for coin herself. Sela noted the staff the elf carried and wondered if she was a mage of some kind. If so, she had to be cautious, but mages really never worried Sela.

The dark elf stepped out into the alley and leaned against the wall waiting for the elf to come closer. Sela's right hand surreptitiously slipped under her left wrist and gripped a dagger. She could throw it before the elf could even think of attacking. The elf was either extremely confident in her powers or incredibly crazy to be venturing into the alley alone.

Either way, Sela was about to find out just what this elf was made of.

"Look into my eyes as the shadows devour your weak and pitiful soul..."
 Sela
Menweh Reolláolásh’miés
Wind Caller
Approved Character

Elf, Ylfferhim

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 02:49:36 PM »

Menweh looked up from her donations. She saw the dark haired elf. Menweh’s flowering blue eyes locked on to the other elf’s dark eyes. Menweh felt a storm like warning tear through her. However, something clicked in Menweh’s mind. She knew nothing of this woman, why should she fear her? Menweh was only in the worst part of town, pretending to be a queen, and suddonly this dark eyed dark haired woman walked out of a door.

Menweh’s mind click, maybe this woman would be able to tell her more about the town! With that though in mind, the wizardess strod to the woman in a very nonthreating maner, taking her time. She when she was close enough she inquired, "Heallo, my name is Menweh. Maey I be so bold as to ask for yours?“ Menweh’s Yllferhim accent rang clear in her Tharian. Somewhere in the deepest part of her mind, something screamed at Menweh that of everything she could be doing this was the most idiotic, stupid and most curiosity driven thing she had ever done! However through the fog of her curiousty she only waited the infomation the other elf might give her.

Sela
Dark Seducer
Approved Character

Elf, Coór'hém

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 03:06:21 AM »

Sela smiled. Her thick pouty lips parted to reveal her white teeth. Her tongue flicked briefly over her lower lip before speaking. Confident, dark eyes slowly moved, taking in this strange, charitable elf.

The drow was cautious. Either this elf was crazy or supremely confident in her power that she would dare venture into the alley. She was obviously a friendly sort, someone with mercy and...most importantly...money.

Sela gave a quick tap on the door she had just exited and then stood. Her head nodded once and she moved away from the door to stand in the middle of the alley. Her right hand lingered over her waist where a dagger was sheathed.

"You may ask," Sela replied. "But I don't have to answer. Tell me who you are and what you are doing here as it is you who is trespassing in my part of town."

Sela
Jonas
Adorable Munchkin
Approved Character

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 04:07:12 AM »

A dirty little face appeared in the doorway of the small house (or what passed for a house anyway) that Sela had just exited. Above the face, the blond curls were clearly visible, as well as the clear blue eyes looking from under them. The boy who the face belonged to had come to see what Sela's wrap on the door meant. The dark elf had only just taken him under her wing, and he was still learning to be more than just another street urchin running around in Bardavos. Admittedly, though, he still wasn't very much more than that. The two thieves were still counting their money, and Jonas had been happy enough to just sit there and watch them - for about five minutes anyway - but the wrap on the door had drawn him to look what Sela wanted.

A grubby hand came up to wipe away some of the dirt on his cheek, which only resulted in spreading it around a bit more. He didn't mind though, he didn't have to look at it. He was interested in the lady though, the one that Sela was talking to. She was pretty. He wondered if she'd give him something. Only one way to find that out though... Stepping out of the house, he quickly schooled his expression into his most innocent smile - something he was quite good at by now. Approaching her, he put out the same grubby hand. " 'Ello lady! You 'ave somethin' fer me?" He'd noticed that candour like that usually got him farthest. He'd also noticed that Sela appreciated the shiny coins more than food, so he was slowly learning to gather that. He didn't have to go hungry right now anyway, Sela took care of him. He could take the occasional scuff around his ears that she gave when he annoyed her, it was even becoming a kind of game for him - seeing when she was about to hit him, and try to avoid it. He wasn't quite fast enough yet, but he was getting better. She wasn't likely to hit him now though, not when he was about to get some money - money she knew he was going to give to her anyway.

Menweh Reolláolásh’miés
Wind Caller
Approved Character

Elf, Ylfferhim

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 03:15:02 PM »

I didn’t know that this part of town was owned by someone ,” Menweh bobbed a curtsy, “ As to my name it is Menweh Reolláolásh’miés, and I was just doing a little of charity, ever being has the right to some small amount of joy, would you not agree?” Menweh smiled at the darker elf, her smiled setting her face into the picture of charity.

The Wizardess looked down to the small voice. A small boy was at her waist holding out his hands for some of Menweh’s wealth. The elfess’ heart melted at the sight of him, “ Where is your family little one? And yes I have something for you. ” With that she placed a few shining Su’s in the boy’s hands.

Now may I be honored to know your name? And if I may know, what is it you do here?” She looked the other elf in her eyes. The eyes of flowers met eyes of seduction. Menweh felt a twinge of her leg, the tincture had not quite taken full effect.

Sela
Dark Seducer
Approved Character

Elf, Coór'hém

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 12:20:46 AM »

Sela's face was as a mask of stone. Unflinching and carefully stoic. If she had any kind of reaction to the other elf's charity, she obviously didn't show it. This elf giver wasn't causing any more trouble than pleasing the beggars and she was careful not to show any kind of displays of aggression or even a little trepidation. Most races at least showed some sense of hesitation at the presence of a dark elf...and a dark elf openly displaying weapons should make anyone pale and wet their pants. Or so Sela liked to think, and she was correct in assuming so as she had seen people react that way to her for many years.

"Yes, this area is not for the charity, miss," Sela hissed. "Coming around here passing out coin is a sure way to meet your death. Are you so naive as to think you wouldn't attract attention? Perhaps so...either way, I win."

The dark elf started to take a step forward while drawing her blade when the human child whelp suddenly poked his disheveled head from the door beside her. Sela was expecting the other two thieves to come out to play, not the little rat.

With a growl, the drow held her blade in the sheath as the boy crossed in front of her to greet the charitable elf. Sela despised the human child, but had to admit that he was a cunning and clever man-rat and adept at getting in and out of tight spots. And, his cuteness (the drow still couldn't see what was so cute about a human child...) evidently garnered trust from others; enough so that people usually gave freely to him.

Sela wouldn't strike the other elf down in the boy's presence. She would wait a moment longer to see where Jonas was going to take this. Sela felt hungry all of a sudden...perhaps the boy would take the elf giver away somewhere so Sela could go hunting.

Sela
Jonas
Adorable Munchkin
Approved Character

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 03:41:15 AM »

With the su's held in his hand, Jonas looked from one elfess to the other, and decided that it was time to intervene. A nice lady like this one, faced with Sela... that was bound to end badly for the nice one with the singy voice. And she *had* given him some su's... And maybe he could get her to buy something to eat for him. He was getting hungry again. But the main thing right now was to get the nice lady away. He was starting to know the look that was spreading over Sela's face, and he knew enough to stay far away from her at such a moment. He wasn't sure exactly what the look signified, but it was bad news.

Grabbing the lady's hand with his free one - the one that wasn't holding his su's - he piped up, while starting to pull her past the dark elf and towards the other end of the Alley: "Oh, I don't have family. Mommy took care of me first but she left. Well the woman next door said something about 'die', when she thought I wasn't listening, but I'm not sure... I think it means she didn't want to take care of me anymore. Come with me? I want to show you something. Where's your mommy? Did she leave you too?" He didn't know yet what he wanted to show her, but it didn't really matter. Anything was better than the Alley, and there were enough nice little spots in this city where the nice lady would not be in danger from Sela. And where she could buy him something to eat. Hmm, maybe one of the small squares with a statue in the middle. Those were nice. And chances were she hadn't seen one yet - if you ended up in the Alley, you had not been in the city for long. Most people gave it a wide berth, preferring to go around rather than facing the beggars. And worse. Like Sela.

Menweh Reolláolásh’miés
Wind Caller
Approved Character

Elf, Ylfferhim

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 04:16:21 PM »

The elfess pondered for a moment, both of this boy parents had been killed or had abandoned him. Which was truly sad “No my mommy didnae leave me, I left her for a bit, but I write her every once in a while to tell her what I am doing and then she writes me.  Where do you wish to take me?” Menweh asked her lips curling into a smile she always wanted someone to watch after and care for. She smiled weakly up at the drow. She wasn't quite sure she liked her. Nor did she want to get to know her.

I think I shall be going then, it seems as though I…” She trailed off as the last tendrils of her queenly self left her. The elfess wanted to be no where near this horrific creature. She scooped up some sand from the ground and muttered the incantation to free the wind ounia from of earth. As the wizardess stood she let the sand fall from her hand. Menweh wanted to make sure that any attack aimed at her back would be at least weakened.  By the hearty wind she was conjuring.

Shall we be off little one?” Menweh said, worry showing now that her daydream of being a goodly queen had vanished.

Azhira Styralias
Shamaness
Approved Character

Half-elf, Aellenrhim/ Erpheronian

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 05:18:24 AM »

Menweh and Jonas - Feel free to move about elsewhere.

"Be still and I shall calm your mind and mend your broken body."
Rett
Rejected by Death
Approved Character

Human, Avennorian

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 10:59:57 AM »

At one end of the street he had learned was called, Beggar's Alley, he sat, careful not to wander too far in, but staying out of the way of those traveling down the street that the alley emptied into. Haunted eyes of dark brown looked down the alley, picking out movements in the shadows and warily watching the beggars, like himself, that sat in the open. Eyes shifted back and fourth swiftly, waiting for one of them to make a move, twitch, shiver, blink. Meanwhile his good hand rubbed the stump at the end of his right arm, like a nervous person might rub their wrist anxiously so that his hands were occupied.

A loud noise to his right caused him to jump, slamming his right shoulder into the wall as he turned to look. Merchants, travelers, entertainers passed by, making a trail not unlike the one he had followed into the city. Now he regretted it wishing the noise, the people, and the dark eyes from the shadows would go away. He started rocking back and fourth, humming to himself, soothing, song-less tunes that he used to hum when he worked. As he moved back his horribly scarred face fell into the shadow of the building across form him, and as he move forward again it showed, the scars showed up against the red color of his slightly burnt skin, his matted, and dirt-coated blonde hair looking more a muddy brown in color at this point. His ragged shirt and pants gathered more dirt each time he moved back and again forward.

He didn't care about any of that, his mind was elsewhere. Hand, fingers, and stub moved in what seemed like a natural motion as he hummed, his eyes closed as he pictured the birds in the sky above Marcogg, flying swiftly away as a storm grew near. In his mind his hands worked, taking of bits of wood at a time, slowly bringing birds to life in the wood, peaceful, little creatures, suddenly frantic as they dodged drops of water. Craved vines, almost life like reached up the sides of the wooden box, wishing to wrap the bird in their hungry embrace, but stopped short by ideas of their crafter. Rett turned his face to the Marcogg sky, eyes closes as drops of water it his smooth skin, running down his face to fall onto the wooden piece, hitting the bird that couldn’t help but be soaked even though it did its best to avoid the rain.

'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being.
Sela
Dark Seducer
Approved Character

Elf, Coór'hém

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 04:01:08 AM »

Sela drew her hood over head as she watched the elf woman and the Jonas boy walk away. She was glad for their departure and wasn't in the mood for killing anyone today. The human boy would make sure the elf never came around here again. Sela did not suffer interruption lightly.

The drow woman walked ahead a little to peer out into the street. The area was not busy, as few people came to this part of the city. The streets around Beggar's Alley were run down and devoid of the sparkling, twinkling shops of the city proper. No beautiful music was heard in the poor section. Only wails and cries of the beggars filled the air. The occasional wanderer would sometimes pass through, but their steps were swift for the knew what awaited them should they get lost down an alley.

Such was the dirty secret of the city of Bardavos. Every city had the poor and criminal, but the city of artists tried to hide that fact behind fancy music shops and bardic schools. No one knew dark elves inhabited the city, let alone such a dangerous woman as Sela. However, that was soon to change.

The drow's dark eyes probed the streets and she saw nothing worth looking at. She had to keep herself hidden during the day as her activity was done at night. For all the foolish posterity the city had, Sela wasn't about to allow the guards to know of her presence and that meant no one must see her. The occasional sighting would only be rumor and not worth investigating, but nevertheless, she was aware of the risks of being seen too often.

Sela glanced down at a beggar sitting nearby. She watched him for a moment. The man looked anxious and jittery. He was humming to himself and rocking back and forth. Another crazed vagrant. The drow shook her head and searched her memory for the man's face. She didn't remember him and she was keenly aware of all the beggars and homeless around her hideout. She approached the humming man and tugged at his filthy arm.

"You there," she said. "You new around the alley? What is your name?"

Sela
Rett
Rejected by Death
Approved Character

Human, Avennorian

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 04:42:33 AM »

The rain fell heavily and he just grinned, enjoying the cool droplets of water before he began gathering his tools. Dark, dangerous thunder clouds swiftly moved in and he had yet to finish packing up his tools as the deep rumble of thunder could be heard and the first bolt of lightening lit up the sky. As he ran for cover, carrying his things he slipped, falling into darkness as he watched his life roll away from him. Rett started rocking faster and faster.

A tug on his arm brought him back suddenly and he jumped back, slamming into the wall, his head bouncing off it. He didn't even seem to feel the pain in the back of his head as haunted dark eyes shifted nervously. Rett found himself looking up at a tall woman, icy dark eyes staring at him. He sat up straight and messed with the stub of his right arm, slowly turning himself and moving back, grain by grain further into the light and away from this woman.

"You there," she said. "You new around the alley? What is you name?"

Rett fidgeted more, nervously looking around as she asked the first question and then the second. Simple questions on their own, but asked in a tone that frightened him, with a self-presumed authority that he knew all too well. His bottom lip quivered as if he might cry, and he slowly picked up speed, rocking back and forth, with eyes down cast. Reflexively he slipped back into his old state of mind, clearing his thoughts and focusing on one thing. His lips moved and his voice cracked a bit as he muttered under his breath, the words barely above a whisper.

"I don't know. I don't know. I don't know." The short phrase completely once was the rocked back and then once again as he rocked forward, repeating itself over and over.

'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being.
Sela
Dark Seducer
Approved Character

Elf, Coór'hém

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 05:24:13 AM »

Sela frowned. It was obvious that this man has lost his mind. She regarded him with a mixture of curiosity and hostility. One the one hand, he was a festering blight upon the alley and not only that, the human smelled, too. However, having an insane, gibbering fellow lurk in the alley was sure to keep any wandering passers-by away. No one dare approach a man talking to himself. It would provide security, but he could also speak to those that Sela wouldn't want him to. Like the local Watch. She would hate it is some beggar blabbed that a dark elf dwelt nearby.

But then again...who would listen to a crazy human anyway?

The dark elf was suddenly struck with a bit of playfulness. She drew a dagger from her wrist sheath and held the blade in front of the man's eyes. The dim light of the alley gave the dagger a gray, smoky appearance, but the razor sharp edge was unmistakable. Her eyes gazed intently upon the man's face. Her mouth turned upwards into a tight, cruel smile.

Sela gently tapped the man's right cheek with the blade...he was not so bad looking, for a human. But how did he bleed?

She applied gentle pressure to the blade against his skin and within moments, she was sure to draw blood...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 05:26:13 AM by Sela » Logged

Sela
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]