* 
Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?


*
gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize


Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chapter 4: And so it Begins...  (Read 14215 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Elende
New Santharian

Offline Offline

Posts: 57


« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2003, 07:28:22 AM »

As the sun went down and night came Elende begun to feel more comfortable with the surroundings. He was surely tired like anyone else from the journey but that seemed to be unimportent now.

  Sinen told everyone that it was time to stop and camp. No one seemed to have an opposite opinion, or at least no one seemed to care that much. No one but Muargath.

 For some reason she didn't want to camp in this location. Soemthing in her tone made Elende believe that she was scared of something. What, he couldn't even guess.

 Everyone seemed to be silent. Everyone occupied with their own thoughts. Elende walked towards Muargath and sat next to her. He took a look at the endless sky. With his eyes still looking the night sky he spoke up.

" You seem worried about something. At least for tonight you can feel safe. I will keep an eye open. I just don't feel like sleeping."

Edited by: Elende at: 7/12/03 15:19
Logged
Gashnum Invraldi
New Santharian

Offline Offline

Posts: 152


« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2003, 11:07:22 PM »

Sinen hadn't spoken to the group for the whole day and as the sun began to sink over the western horizon he decided to set camp basically on top of the road. Muargath voiced her opinion in the matter saying that it would be safer to camp behind the treeline. Gashnum knew that was coming. Gashnum moved across the roadd pulling his horse with him,  and sat next to Muargath. Duster settled his head in the woman's lap, the dog was tired from the day's march. If anyone else was they weren't showing it. Gashnum sat with a long sigh, and then a deep breath in.

He aknowledged Elende's prescence with a polite nod of his head.
He spoke in a soft fatherly tone
" Muargath, i'm sure it would be no problem for just a few of us to camp beyond the treeline, out of sight of the road." Gashnum gestrued to his horse, laden as it was with all kinds of gear.
"It would be no problem if you are that concerned"

The warrior who acts out of honour cannot fail. His duty is hounour itself. Even his death - if it is honourable - is a reward and can be no failure, for it has come through duty. Seek honour as you act, therefore, and you will know no fear.
-From the 183rd Ritual of Devotion

Logged
Sinen Darkchild
Fighter
Approved Character
*
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 454


Elf, Quaelhoirhim


« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2003, 05:26:22 AM »

Listening to Muargath's complaint he looks right at her...

SINEN "There are reasons not to go beyond the treeline this night. Things lurk around here at night that I wish to avoid. The point of being within road site is so that any traveling by here can be seen and can see. I fear no person, but I do fear some creatures. Now the important thing is that while I plan to set camp off the path, not beyond the tree line, but under the trees. Watch shall need to be kept though I will do most. I only want to be here to eat and grap a few hours sleep. We are to set out before sun rise."

Sinen watches for Muargath's reaction.

 Fools rush into battle blindly, but who is really the fool? The fool or the fool who follows him.

Logged

Fools rush into battle blindly, but who is really the fool? The fool or the fool who follows him?

Sinen Darkchild CD
Muargath
New Santharian

Offline Offline

Posts: 945


« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2003, 05:20:22 AM »

Muargath looked up at Elende and Sinen in muted suspicion- Gashnum's concern she could understand- but all of a sudden it seemed everyone else was worried about what she wanted... after so many unacknowledged protestations on her part.  

To Elende she said quietly, "Thank you, I appreciate your offer."  She looked at Sinen, "You do what you feel is right for the party."

After a few moments, she leaned in toward Gashnum and whispered, "What do you suggest?  That we camp a bit further into the trees than what Sinen proposes?"  She looked at the shadowy treeline which seemed menacing, but feared staying out in the open even more...

"There is serenity in Chaos.
Seek ye the Eye of the Hurricane."
- so says the Principia Discordia

Edited by: Muargath   at: 7/13/03 21:21
Logged
Gashnum Invraldi
New Santharian

Offline Offline

Posts: 152


« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2003, 02:09:22 AM »

"I do suggest just that" Gashnum nodded to Muargath, keeping his voice low enough. Gashnum rose slowly to his feet, using his spear as a support he walked the short distance to his horse.

"Before we break camp, I suggest we have something to eat" He began to search for the large sack containing food.

"If someone could start a fire.." he turned from his horse to look towards the rest of the group, frying pan and food in his hand. A smile on his face at the thought of food. His gaze passed Muargath who was still siting and he winked, a friendly twinkle in his eye.

The warrior who acts out of honour cannot fail. His duty is hounour itself. Even his death - if it is honourable - is a reward and can be no failure, for it has come through duty. Seek honour as you act, therefore, and you will know no fear.
-From the 183rd Ritual of Devotion

Logged
Muargath
New Santharian

Offline Offline

Posts: 945


« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2003, 07:17:22 AM »

Muargath's stomach grumbled at the suggestion of food.  I hope its more of those lovely sausages!  "Very well... I'll gather some dry wood."  And scout a little of the woods while I am at it...  Muargath stood up and nodded respectfully to the dark elf.  

"Thanks again for your offer, Elende.  I will sleep better knowing you are awake and on nightwatch."   She smiled at him and then headed toward the tree line.  

At she reached the first tree, she stopped and doffed her cloak; this was then held down by the scant weight of her slingbag.  With nary a backward glance at the party, Muargath walked into the deeper shadows of the woods, picking her way through the underbrush nearly without noise...

"There is serenity in Chaos.
Seek ye the Eye of the Hurricane."
- so says the Principia Discordia

Logged
Dray Ducroix
New Santharian

Offline Offline

Posts: 417


« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2003, 01:46:22 PM »

"I too shall gather some wood enough to start the fire anyways"

*Dray heads the opposite way from the Muargath and gathers am armful of dry wood and brings it back to others he moves away from the road and sets the wood down in an area devoid of any vegitation and simply raises his hand towards the wood and lets a small amout of fire come from him hand and ignite the wood. He looks at the others a few of which did not know he weilded magic and just smiled*

"It beats having to use flint and steel"

*Dray pokes around at the fire getting it ready to be used for cooking*

Logged
Sinen Darkchild
Fighter
Approved Character
*
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 454


Elf, Quaelhoirhim


« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2003, 02:56:22 PM »

Looking straight at dray...

"Dray, I nearly had forgotten you wielded magic."

Sinen sits down near the fire, ears listening hard for any sound. He had thought he heard something that sounded out of place a moment ago.

 Fools rush into battle blindly, but who is really the fool? The fool or the fool who follows him.

Logged

Fools rush into battle blindly, but who is really the fool? The fool or the fool who follows him?

Sinen Darkchild CD
Gashnum Invraldi
New Santharian

Offline Offline

Posts: 152


« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2003, 02:08:22 PM »

With a fleeting sense of aloneness Gashnum watches Muargath melt into the treeline. He see's her off with a silent prayer to himself. Hoping that nothing befalls her while she is away from the group, himself in particular. Duster, torn between his master and Muargath almost follows the woman into the trees, but when the dog sees that it's almost time to eat it returns loyally to his masters and sits at his side.

A moment later Gashnum watches Dray head in the other direction in search of wood, only to return moments later, laden with fuel of the fire. And with an effortless gesture sets the wood aflame.

Gashnum settles himself near the fire having gathered his wooden cutting board and a knife from a small cedar chest. The merchant sits with his legs folded one over the other, his old wound bothering him, not at all. From his sack he pulles another rope of the sausages and arranges them in the over-used skillet at his side. Also from the sack Gashnum selects several large, dried bell peppers. After slicing them up with skilled hands he scoops the vegetables into the skillet with his hand.

He rises from his rear to scoot the pan into the fire, close enough to cook, but not close enough to burn. Then settles back onto his haunches.

Soon the delicious aroma of the cooking food fills the campsite, accomponied by the cozy sizziling of the sausages and the occaisional popping of the coals.

The warrior who acts out of honour cannot fail. His duty is hounour itself. Even his death - if it is honourable - is a reward and can be no failure, for it has come through duty. Seek honour as you act, therefore, and you will know no fear.
-From the 183rd Ritual of Devotion

Edited by: Gashnum Invraldi at: 7/15/03 6:14
Logged
Muargath
New Santharian

Offline Offline

Posts: 945


« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2003, 05:50:22 PM »

She didn't need to go too far before she found a small glade.  Even in the falling dusk this peaceful area, open to the sky, had much more light than the woodlands.  Late afternoon birdsong filled the air, as did the scent of wildflowers.  A thriving blackberry-bush distracted her from her search for firewood and Muargath stopped to pick a handfull of the sweet berries, sampling a few as she did so.  They were juicy and delicious.  Might as well eat the rest, I've no way to carry them!  She decided to bring some back for the others but she didn't have a container.  Taking her small knife from her belt, Muargath cut six of the more heavily-laden branches, careful not to shake any fruit off.  Humming softly to herself as she worked, Muaragth carved off enough thorns so they wouldn't stick into her hands.

Muargath made her way back, feeling a little guilty for not getting any wood for the fire until she saw the flames and smelled the cooking sausage ahead.  She smiled, glad that someone else took care of the task.  

Exiting the line of trees, she stepped up closer to Gashnum.  "No dry wood in there, but I did find these..."  She flattened a patch of grass and lay the branches there.  "Didn't have a bowl or a sack, so I brought them on the stick.  Here, try one.  They are wonderful!"  She grinned as she picked a round berry and held it up to her friend's lips with two blue-stained fingers.  "I've already had several..."  She winked.  

"There is serenity in Chaos.
Seek ye the Eye of the Hurricane."
- so says the Principia Discordia

Logged
Elende
New Santharian

Offline Offline

Posts: 57


« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2003, 02:28:22 AM »

Everyone was busy now either gahtring wood or helping Gashnum to prepare the meal. Elende had almost disappered beyond the treeline observing the surrounding. If anything happens it would be wise to be familiar with the layout of the location. With his hands ready to draw his scimitars and his senses alert as always he scanned the surroundings. He made mental notes of everything he could, trying to determine the best way for an ambush, the possible escape routes, the most favourable defensive position.

 After a sevral minutes the dark elf returned. A fire had been started and Gashnum had already started cooking. The aroma filling the air. Although Elende feared that tthe fire and smell of food could  attract unwanted visitors he was hungry enough to let his worries pass.

 Elende approached Gashnum as the latter put some more sausages on his pan. He didn't say anything at first, observing Gashnum's cooking art for a few moments.

  Do you think there is anough for anyone? The forest can provide us with additional food if we need it.

 Gashnum looked at the elf for a moment and  then at his suppliers, thinking whether he had enough food for everyone.

Edited by: Elende at: 7/15/03 18:31
Logged
Muargath
New Santharian

Offline Offline

Posts: 945


« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2003, 06:47:22 AM »

Crouched as she was next to Gashnum, Muargath looked up at the dark elf as he approached and asked, "Do you think there is anough for anyone? The forest can provide us with additional food if we need it."

Muargath smiled, "Yes.  I found these already.  I'm sure there are more... maybe even some nuts and roots."  She glanced at the packhorse and wondered if suitable containers could be found among the bundles.  She lightly elbowed her peddler-friend.  "What do you think, Gashnum?  Should I go pick some more?   These berries I brought won't last beyond this meal, but there were plenty more in that glade. Got any empty sacks or bowls on that horse?"

"There is serenity in Chaos.
Seek ye the Eye of the Hurricane."
- so says the Principia Discordia

Logged
Sinen Darkchild
Fighter
Approved Character
*
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 454


Elf, Quaelhoirhim


« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2003, 08:07:22 AM »

Sitting around by the fire, not paying much attention to what the others were doing. There was that sound again. What was it? It was odd to say the least. Standing and walking torwards the trees slowly, hand on his sword hilt. Alia, sensing whatever Sinen had heard follows him, both wondering if the others had heard anything.

 Fools rush into battle blindly, but who is really the fool? The fool or the fool who follows him.

Logged

Fools rush into battle blindly, but who is really the fool? The fool or the fool who follows him?

Sinen Darkchild CD
Elende
New Santharian

Offline Offline

Posts: 57


« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2003, 12:26:22 AM »

It seemed that there was enough food for everyone for tonight. The dark elf started wa;king away from Muargath and Gashnum when he though he had heard a strange noise. Something felt out of place. He looked around him for anything supsicious but nothing could be seen. He checked on the others but no one seemed to have heard that sound....no one but Sinen who seemed as alert and worried as he was.

 As he moved towards Sinen, he turned to Muargath.

" You'd better stay close with the others.....and have a weapon ready...be wary."

 Elende  reached Sinen, when the latter was only a few steps away from the tree line, Alia following him closely.
At last he whispered to him.

" You've heard that as well haven't you? Any idea what it may be?"

Logged
Sinen Darkchild
Fighter
Approved Character
*
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 454


Elf, Quaelhoirhim


« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2003, 06:26:22 AM »

"Yes I do...They had been many hushed reports recently of demon kin in this area lurking in the woods around here. Thus my decision not to go beyond the tree line. Not just any demon's these are either. They are chasm demons by report which means one thing, they are commanded here by one very powerful person. One very powerful and very evil person. I feared this would happen."

Sinen looks back to Alia, nods once and pulls his sword from his sheath. the blade, upon clearing the scabbard, glows a purplish tinge. His silver ring giving a similiar glow.

"It is no chance that these demons are here watching us and waiting to strike. Someone is trying to stop us on our quest."

 Fools rush into battle blindly, but who is really the fool? The fool or the fool who follows him.

Logged

Fools rush into battle blindly, but who is really the fool? The fool or the fool who follows him?

Sinen Darkchild CD
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]

[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]

[March 19, 2020, 03:47:44 AM]
Members
Total Members: 2849
Latest: abigailjordan
Stats
Total Posts: 214569
Total Topics: 8052
Online Today: 21
Online Ever: 216
(November 30, 2006, 09:08:03 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 41
Total: 41

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2005, Simple Machines
TinyPortal v0.9.8 © Bloc
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Theme based on Cerberus with Risen adjustments by Bloc and Krelia
Modified By Artimidor for The Santharian Dream
gfx
gfxgfx gfxgfx