Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ena's Bookshop  (Read 3219 times)
Eléyr Fásamár
Serenity's Embodiment
Approved Character

Elf ~ Kaýrrhem

« on: July 12, 2008, 11:41:13 PM »

As you enter through the cheery little door, you'll find a quaint front room, decorated in the same hues as the exterior. Pastel blues sweep across the walls, and the wooden floor is made from Silkel trees, providing it with a soft, silvery glow. A counter runs along the back, where an absent spare of spectacles rests. A closed door sits behind the counter. A tiny bell sits upon the counter, probably for you to ring if you need the shopkeepers attention.

Along the right wall, a profusion of bookshelves stands in line, with a plethora of novels for your perusal. Everything is pristine and orderly, and a row of tables lines the left wall, with careful stacks of organized tomes.

The shopkeeper is tall, with long tresses of a bright red hue. After selecting your books, you may ring the bell to purchase them...

Rhat the Librarian

Those who say only Insanity can bring true relaxation...
Have clearly never hired a Mindsmoother!

Eléyr's CD ~¤•¤~ Character Creation ~¤•¤~ Restrictions ~¤•¤~ CD Etiquette
Alyssa Mineu
Equine Terpsichorean
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 07:35:32 PM »

Ahh, a quiet little shop in Bardavos’s bustling marketplace, Lyss thought, as she stepped into the bookshop. Its interior was as blue as its exterior, and the floors seemed to shine. To her right, there was a line of bookshelves, which Lyss headed to.

On each bookshelf, there was a sign indicating the type of books that could be found on it. Lyss passed by “Novels”, “Folk Tales”, “Romance” and “History”, and reached “Poetry”. There were still several shelves to the back, but Lyss stepped in front of the “How To” bookshelf. The shop was truly a bibliophile’s paradise, as the shelf was filled with books. There were tall ones, short ones, thick ones, thin ones… Soon, she found what she was looking for – “Songs of Merriment”. Lyss had thought that happy dances would be a better choice for performing, so that people would be cheered while watching her performances.

She got the book down and made her way to the counter, where the shopkeeper was. He was tall, with bright red locks of hair. Sitting on the counter was a bell, which Lyss rang. As a clear sonance sounded through the room, Lyss set the book on the counter, and asked the shopkeeper, “Excuse me, sir, but do you happen to have any parchments, and a quill and some ink along with that?

Lyss Mineu
Human, Centoraurian

Dancing is
letting yourself go, losing yourself in the dance, showing yourself to the world.

Alyssa "Lyss" Mineu
Eléyr Fásamár
Serenity's Embodiment
Approved Character

Elf ~ Kaýrrhem

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 03:23:30 AM »

Rhat the Librarian

Sitting in the back room, with his spectacles perched upon the bridge of his nose, Rhat examined the pages of his novel, while reflecting about life. He was extremely wealthy, his front room was lined with books, after all. Although Bardavos had a higher concentration of literate people, the fact that he could read was an exception in itself amongst most everyone else on the continent. And these fabulous glasses were assuredly expensive, but they made him look rather scholarly, he thought.

Hearing the footsteps of a customer, with his precise ears, he made his way out to the counter in the instant they rang the bell. How quaint and wonderful his little shop looked. And a customer. How quaint and wonderful the sparse flow of customers were. How quaint and wonderful his life was. Rhat knew naught another, who had life as easy and rapturous as him. It seemed that once you learned to appreciate the small things like the tickle of a breeze or the caress of the sun's rays, more things to be happy about fell right into your lap.

Smiling at the woman, he listened politely to her inquiry before nodding slightly. "Let me quickly grab it out of the back, milady. I have a profusion of the supplies in question, and would be more than happy to offer them to you, if you can wait but a moment." Gliding blithely into the back room, his fingers ran along the organized cabinets, fetching the things the lady had requested. Holding out two quills, a bottle of ink, and twenty sheafs of parchment rapped in an injohue ribbon. "Hopefully twenty pieces of paper will be enough for you? If not, I can surely fetch more. This will all total to eleven san, with the extra quill being free of charge. Unless you'd like to purchase that book too?" Noting the thick book of songs in her hand,he made a mental note that it would cost an extra fifteen san. That would be quite a sell! Books were expensive after all... How euphoric. Kind of like the embrace of a moon's soft light...

Alyssa Mineu
Equine Terpsichorean
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 01:36:22 PM »

The shopkeeper nodded to her request, and headed into the back room. He soon returned with two quills, a bottle of ink and many parchments bundled in an injohue ribbon.

Hopefully twenty pieces of paper will be enough for you? If not, I can surely fetch more. This will all total to eleven san, with the extra quill being free of charge. Unless you'd like to purchase that book too?” the shopkeeper asked. In her mind, Lyss calculated – did she have enough money? If she remembered correctly, she should have, what, 70 sans? Most of the money was hard-earned money from busking back in Thyslan. Part of it was given by her parents, though.

Yes, I’d like the book, too. How much is it, in total?” Lyss inquired.

Lyss Mineu
Human, Centoraurian

Dancing is
letting yourself go, losing yourself in the dance, showing yourself to the world.

Alyssa "Lyss" Mineu
Eléyr Fásamár
Serenity's Embodiment
Approved Character

Elf ~ Kaýrrhem

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 05:03:14 AM »

Rhat the Librarian

"That will total to 26 san, milady," Rhat said as he gently rapped his knuckles upon the desk. With a nimble toss of his head, the fiery cascade of tresses swept over his shoulder.

He was quite eager to finish up with this. His novel had just been getting to an epic culmination, and he could hardly wait to get back to it. Nudging the goods across the counter, he awaited the woman's coins, while subconsciously tapping his foot...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 05:03:56 AM by Eléyr Fásamár » Logged

Alyssa Mineu
Equine Terpsichorean
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 07:40:29 PM »

As Lyss dug out the coins from her pouch, she thought, Ugh. How am I going to get everything back to the tavern? And I still have 2 more places to go to.

She soon got enough to pay the shopkeeper – 26 sans – and placed the coins in his hand. She gathered the items, placing the book at the bottom and quills and ink at the top, saying, “Thank you, good sir.” Lyss fumbled out the store, dropping her stuff on the way. Giving a sheepish grin to the shopkeeper, she apologised, but for what, she didn’t know.

Lyss pushed the door open with her back, yelling one last “Sorry again,” and going back into the crowd in the marketplace. Oh gosh, did her godforsaken clumsiness, which usually culminated in her forgetting some important things, have to work up now?

Lyss Mineu
Human, Centoraurian

Dancing is

Alyssa "Lyss" Mineu
Eléyr Fásamár
Serenity's Embodiment
Approved Character

Elf ~ Kaýrrhem

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 11:03:48 PM »

You may proceed posting in the Southeastern District, and express interest in whatever building you would like to enter.

Lenwë Carnesîr
Old Father Manling
Approved Character

Manling, Helmondsshire/ Eyelian

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 01:14:14 PM »

Lenwë raised his eyebrows as he entered. It was indeed a lovely place, with books, books, and more books. What else is to be expected? But it was also said that there was bound parchment sold here... Ahh, There! he thought to himself, as he watched the man in the front who had just sold some parchment to a girl. He watched a fairly big amount of money (for him at least) pass between them, and he hoped the book had been most of the cost. The girl left and he was just about to pursue his conquest for parchment when his eyes landed on a well sized book entitled "Myths and other Historical Tales." This would certainly be useful here in Bardavos, especially for a storyteller such as Lenwë Carnesîr! But no doubt it will be extra expensive! thought Lenwë. (Even though he was usually talking, he would get through a few minutes thinking to himself). This and the parchment will most likely force me to venture to my private purse, Eh Grigory?"    Without waiting to see if the squirrel would answer he went up to the man with an enthusiastic, "How do you do, my kind sir...    It was how almost all his conversations started.

I sit beside the fire and think
of people long ago,
and people who will see a world
that I shall never know

By: J.R.R. Tolkien
Eléyr Fásamár
Serenity's Embodiment
Approved Character

Elf ~ Kaýrrhem

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 12:18:30 AM »

Rhat the Librarian

As soon as the woman left, he settled down in the stool behind the counter with his novel and began reading avidly, hardly noticing the bell as yet another customer entered. As he tossed his fiery cascade of tresses behind his head, he looked up, and perched an eyebrow at the little man as he spoke with far more enthusiasm than Rhat expected would fit in his tiny body.

"I'm pretty good, sir. May I help you purchase anything?" Because if you don't want to buy something, please, let me get back to my novel... he added mentally. Keeping a condescending grin upon his face, he looked the small man over once again, and prepared himself for another explosively excited response.

Lenwë Carnesîr
Old Father Manling
Approved Character

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 01:22:37 AM »

Lenwë looked at the book in the store keepers hands. He nodded his head thoughtfully. "Ahhh, reading I see.  Don't worry I won't delay you long, I know how it feels to be interrupted while reading. Well, I just saw the young lady who left had purchased bound parchment, and I was wondering if I could trouble you for some, and this book?    He asked holding the book up.

of people long ago,
that I shall never know

Eléyr Fásamár
Serenity's Embodiment
Approved Character

Elf ~ Kaýrrhem

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 03:44:17 AM »

Rhat the Librarian

As the man apologized, Rhat felt slightly guilty about his tinge of annoyance, but quickly ran off to the back, saying, "I assure you, it's no problem, sir. That will be 15 san, and I shall be right back." He hurried into the shop's back room, and selected a pack of parchment, with a dark blue ribbon binding the sheets together, all fastened by a large bow on top of the pile. Picking up the rough pages in his hand, he reveled in the sensation he received, each time he made contact with paper or ink.

Taking a steady breath in, he returned out to the main room, and placed the package of papers upon the counter, and waited for the man's coins. Absently, he watched as motes of dust swam through beams of sunlight, streming in between his magenta curtains. He imagined he was far to use to having few customers, as he seemed to almost get annoyed each time one passed through. Most of the hours in which he was supposed to be working were spent reading, and now he disliked being disturbed from this idle state, even though the time was assigned to services. Shrugging it off, he smiled at the man, and considered what it would be like if another lived in his humble store with him. His conclusion was this: crowded.

Lenwë Carnesîr
Old Father Manling
Approved Character

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 04:24:10 AM »

"Ahh, fifteen, you say?    Lenwë patted his garments, trying to find the pocket in which he kept his savings purse. One of the most important things he owned, and he could never remember where he put it. Finally he said, "Bah, Grigory, give me a hand would you?"    No sooner had the request left his mouth that the squirrel jumped off his head and skittered all over Lenwë, clinging to him with his small claws. Finally he stopped near the back and dove into a deep pocket that could barely be discerned as a pocket. He came up with a bulging purse and ran back up to Lenwë's shoulder, and dropped the purse in his awaiting hand. "Thank you, my friend!    he said, and took out 15 sans, and handing them to Rhat said, "There you are!"
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 04:24:28 AM by Lenwë Carnesîr » Logged

of people long ago,
that I shall never know

Eléyr Fásamár
Serenity's Embodiment
Approved Character

Elf ~ Kaýrrhem

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 03:52:47 AM »

You may proceed posting in the Southeastern District thread, and express interest in moving on to whatever building you'd like to visit next IC there.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]