Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 57   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Jovloff's Gold - OOC: 1  (Read 129821 times)
Ylva Rasmussan
Oddball Healer
New Santharian

Human, Murmillion.

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 09:18:35 AM »

Right, is change. Thanks for pointing that out. :)
Rhia
Songbird of the Sea
Approved Character

Human, Blaar'kr

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2008, 01:30:27 PM »

Well, there's my first post. Sorry it's so short... Undecided

Rainier
Shadow Ranger
Approved Character

Elf, Tiraelhon/ Eophyrhim

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 11:26:40 PM »

Will have my post up either tonight or early tommorow.

The sword is a weapon for killing...the art of the sword...is the art of killing.  No matter what fancy words..you use...or what titles you put to it...that is the only truth  -Rurouni Kenshin  Raniers CD
fionn
Prosaic Waif
Approved Character

Mullog

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 02:58:02 AM »

"who had decided to leap about like a drunken squirrel"
that's brilliant!

"If it's teeth are longer than your fingers, for the Ancestors' sake, assume it doesn't want it's belly tickled..."
Fionn's CD
Rhia
Songbird of the Sea
Approved Character

Human, Blaar'kr

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2008, 09:05:07 AM »

thanks! :^D

p.s. Nice signature, by the way, I've always loved it!

Koka Bentarm
Bearded Lady
Approved Character

Dwarf, Mitharim

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2008, 06:45:16 PM »

If I post too often, please tell me! ;)

Rainier
Shadow Ranger
Approved Character

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2008, 08:37:09 PM »

I know my post are a little short and I appologise for that but they will be longer and have plenty of more details in them by the end of next week I've just been studying for finals next week.

The sword is a weapon for killing...the art of the sword...is the art of killing.  No matter what fancy words..you use...or what titles you put to it...that is the only truth  -Rurouni Kenshin  Raniers CD
fionn
Prosaic Waif
Approved Character

Mullog

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2008, 08:55:12 PM »

good luck! Thumb up

"If it's teeth are longer than your fingers, for the Ancestors' sake, assume it doesn't want it's belly tickled..."
Fionn's CD
Koka Bentarm
Bearded Lady
Approved Character

Dwarf, Mitharim

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2008, 09:31:44 PM »

Ok, this is a message to everyone, though it was sparked in particular by Rainier's post.

I made this character with the idea in mind that some confusion about her gender would be funny. Like I told Ylva earlier, there is no way of knowing that she is female and not male. 1) If you see a dwarf running around above ground, you have 99.99 percent chance that it'll be a guy, females usually stay in the caves. 2) SHE HAS A FREAKING BEARD!!! If you see a beard, you do NOT automatically think 'female'. At least, I hope you don't. You also don't think that you will have to determine their gender at some point. If you're any kind of normal, without too strange thoughts, you will automatically assume 'beard = male'. Is it really so hard to let your character be wrong about something? Just because YOU know something about my character does NOT mean that your character knows the same thing. I'm sorry for the rant but this is something that has annoyed me in the past as well. Part of the fun of roleplaying is sticking to what your character can know and finding out in the course of the story other things.

The only characters I'd accept immediate knowledge from is a) someone who knew her from before (like that butler guy), b) another dwarf, who should be able to tell the difference, or c) someone who had a lot of dwarf friends....which is like noone. If you fall under one of these categories, no problem. If you don't... well, give me one good reason why your character would know or assume that she is not male?

*huff, huff* Ok, all better now ;)

Ylva Rasmussan
Oddball Healer
New Santharian

Human, Murmillion.

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2008, 10:49:40 PM »

Lol, I'm sorry Koka for ever mentioning dwarven woman in my post!  buck

So youre basically saying that you think our characters would assume he's a guy? Cause it's too rare to consider him to be a woman? :)
Koka Bentarm
Bearded Lady
Approved Character

Dwarf, Mitharim

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2008, 11:35:54 PM »

That is, in fact what I'm saying. You as a person able to read character descriptions and posts know that my character is a female dwarf. Your character as a person having certain experiences within Santharia (probably not too many of which had anything to do with dwarves) would most likely apply 'human' standards to dwarves as well, which would equal 'having a beard' to 'being male'. Your character might even know intellectually that dwarven females also have beards (though I wouldn't know how they know, since dwarven females tend not to have even less contact with other races than dwarven males), but there's still a big difference between 'knowing' something to be true and actually applying that knowledge to a specific case. Don't worry, at some point Koka will let it slip that she's not, in fact, male (she's not exactly trying to hide her gender) and after that there is no problem at all anymore with thinking of her as a woman - because then your character does have the means of knowing that she is female, ie she said so. But don't you agree that it would be so much funnier to first think 'that's a dwarven man' to then hear she's female and be all surprised, rather than 'oh yeah, I knew that all along. Been there done that', that sort of thing? And honestly, do you really know that many women with full length, down-to-the-tummy, long enough to braid beards? I certainly hope not ;)

So yeah, you (ie, the person *behind* Ylva Rasmussan) can refer to me (ie, the character Koka Bentarm) as being female, BUT the character Ylva Rasmussan would quite likely think of the character Koka Bentarm as being male until such a time as she hears from someone (this can be from Garnut, or from Koka herself, or from Ranskjun who quite probably knows this information as well) that she is female. After that there is no problem anymore.

I hope I'm making a bit of sense here ;)

Rainier
Shadow Ranger
Approved Character

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2008, 12:15:10 AM »

Hey Koka sorry if I upset you with my post I just did it that way because of my characters age and his profession. He's 131 and has been traveling across Sarvonia his whole life but I will gladly change my post if you like or if you think it is reasonable that I might have this knowlege I could change my post to add something about your bow and how that is a reason as to why I am unsure of your gender.

@fionn-thank you very much if that was directed towards me.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 12:39:11 AM by Rainier » Logged

Koka Bentarm
Bearded Lady
Approved Character

Dwarf, Mitharim

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2008, 12:51:18 AM »

Yeah, sorry but travelling Sarvonia isn't too good a reason, unless he's actually spent time with dwarves (which is rather unlikely, other than trading they don't have too much contact with other races). Like I said, in 99% of the cases of a traveller meeting a dwarf living above ground it'll be a guy. If you have, in fact, spent enough time with dwarves to know that it's the women who hunt, then go ahead and keep the doubt :)

Ylva Rasmussan
Oddball Healer
New Santharian

Human, Murmillion.

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2008, 01:21:37 AM »

Due to our discussion, I'd thought I'd add abit to my post refering to it slightly, I like the idea of Ylva thinking Koka as a strange dwarven man who likes to plait his hair....:D

Though Koka, I think that Rainier's character should be able to have doubts, a well-trvelled and experienced elf that he is. Though will have to submit his case of course, can't just say he knows she's a girl. But he isnt assuming that anyway.

I think he said he's taking his finals, he said he's going to flesh out his posts when he has more time, I think that's what he said in a previous post, he'll probably explain more about the limitation of Rainier's knowledge of dwarven gender later when finals finished.....what are finals anyway? Some sort of exam?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 01:36:20 AM by Ylva Rasmussan » Logged
Royce Brodlyn Kristoph
Lost Soul
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2008, 01:24:30 AM »

So far, Royce has just assumed you are a male, and has paid no particular attention to you.  But, one question, when you speak, will it become apparent then by the sound of your voice?  Or do male/female voices sound the same?

Royce

Violence is not the answer.  But, it will buy you time to think of one.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 57   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 30, 2021, 06:05:42 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]

[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]