Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 57   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Jovloff's Gold - OOC: 1  (Read 130042 times)
Irid alMenie
Wolf-Lady
CD Mod

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #795 on: January 27, 2012, 12:51:24 AM »

So would I :)

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Alýr (Rayne)
Dreamress
CD Mod

« Reply #796 on: January 27, 2012, 05:09:52 AM »

I contacted the story moderators last week (1/14) but haven't heard back. If we move this story to the archive, we can still move it back up when the moderators return, can't we?

Fu Luft
Befuddled Spellblower
Mini-mod

Human, Avennorian/ Eyelian

« Reply #797 on: January 27, 2012, 07:10:15 AM »

Dear Rayne,

I would ask you please not to move this story to the archive. Please give the moderators some more time to respond, and give such players as are around and willing to continue some more time to rally and find a way of keeping this story alive. In contrast to other stories that have recently been moved to the archives, a post in Jovloff's Gold OOC has always got a reply, even though such posts have not, to my sadness and to others', engendered new IC posts in the last few months.

I understand the desire to have a 'clean' look of the forum. But please do consider whether having one more story within the "Structured Stories" category really is so damaging to the appearance as to justify removing it. I am concerned that moving Jovloff's Gold to the archives would send the wrong signal to players who have repeatedly expressed their willingness to wait until Yurie's busy time as a newly qualified teacher has calmed down and then to continue. You may read the most recent three pages of this OOC thread for documentation of this. I think that by moving the story to the archives, you would risk initiating a downward spiral that would do harm to the story, and ultimately to the board. 

Jovloff's Gold may seem like just another inactive story on the boards to you, but it is more to me, and I think to other players, too. Apart from my very personal attachment, I would argue that Jovloff's Gold overall has been a success so far, despite the recent lull. I would venture to say that during the last three years, taken together, Jovloff's Gold has been the second or third most active story on the board (behind Destiny, and maybe Thalambath's Heart). This is in marked contrast to some stories I have seen in the last three years, which have started promisingly, but have died within a few months.

I have tried to make this argument in the RPG Forum thread, but I was unable to keep up with the pace of discussion and decision there, partly due to my busy life, and partly due to the fact that the thread was moved to the Moderators' Forum where I was temporarily unable to see it. So I am repeating and elaborating my argument here.

I feel strongly about this, as you can tell. I wonder whether other Jovloff's Gold players feel the same?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 07:33:10 AM by Fu Luft » Logged

Deklitch Hardin
Truth Seeker
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #798 on: January 27, 2012, 08:42:35 AM »

Dear Rayne,

I felt moved by Fu's impassioned plea on behalf of keeping Jovloff's Gold out of the archives to come out of my self imposed absence to add my voice to his. I have never had a character that was part of this story, however I have enjoyed following along with and reading their adventures.

In 2007 I started off my career as a teacher. It was a lot of hard work in the early days, preparing lesson plans and resources, attending to professional and personal development activities, meeting with parents, teaching the lessons, managing the classroom, providing appropriate discipline to myself and the children, attending to playground duties, assessing the student's work, and reporting back to the students, my supervisors, administration, parents and other stakeholders. Teaching ended up being a poor choice for me to pursue on a number of levels, however during that time I had to give it my full attention. I had to cut back on just about everything else I did, and even then there weren't enough hours for me to do all I had to do. I can only imagine what Eric is going through in his first year of teaching.

I believe that closing down a story that has had a successful time over the past few years, but which currently has a story mod engaged in a time consuming career would be sending the wrong message to the players, who, as Fu has suggested are keen to be still involved in the story and who are rather active in the OOC thread. Maybe in the time during which Eric is tied up with his career, something can be done to get a bit of IC action happening? Show him that people are interested in his story? So that when he is able to return he is able to once again take over the modship.

In my Star-Fleet group, when the GM or the CO of a ship has to leave for a while, or either is replaced, everyone else on that ship engages what is called 'side simming', which basically means getting IC action happening so that the ship doesn't die and get decommissioned/archived. These have ranged from having a party of some kind, using the holodeck (holodeck not a possibility in Santharia, I realise), visit the ship's lounge, seeing the doctor/counsellor, visiting a planet (such as Risa - once again not possible in Santharia), engaging in character development posts or something similar. Perhaps the players of Joloff's Gold could try something like that? Of course someone would need to decide what the characters would do (or someone could make an IC post and see who else follows up that post with an IC post of their own. Isn't that exactly how 'An Adventure in Black' started?

If, for example you do it in a second thread, you won't actually be interfering with the storyline that Eric has planned for you all, but it is still related to his story in a way, you are keeping yourselves occupied and Adventures of Caelereth appears active to new members. And of course, the players of Jovloff's Gold are showing Eric how much they are enjoying the story he was leading them on, in a much more vibrant way than simply posting such in OOC,

So there's a different thought for you ... please try not to move Jovloff's Gold to the archives.

Thank you,

Dek Hardin
Back to my self imposed absence.

Seeking the truth, whatever the cost! - Deklitch Hardin, Elf Friend
Alýr (Rayne)
Dreamress
CD Mod

« Reply #799 on: January 27, 2012, 10:20:57 AM »

Dear Fu and Dek,

More than anything on the board, the happiness if the players who call Santharia home is of importance to me. You have conveyed, not only the dedication you have for the story on question, but also the dedication you have in the potential of the story to be active again. Yes, I am concerned with boards that are clean and provide opportunities to players for active play, but I am also concerned with leveraging the roseate potential of stories that may rise from inactivity to be active again. I support keeping this story on the boards, and doing what I can to engender renewed activity to it.

I thank you both for sharing your concerns. The only way I can make informed, intelligent decisions on behalf of players is by having those players voice their concerns. If there is anything I can do to encourage activity here, please let's know. I will provide any and all support.

Thank you again!

Best Regards,
Rayne

Fu Luft
Befuddled Spellblower
Mini-mod

« Reply #800 on: January 28, 2012, 06:28:43 AM »

Thank you, Rayne. It's much appreciated.

Dek, thanks for your support. Your ideas for continuing without the moderator are good in principle, but the trouble is that the story is in the middle of a scene where we rather depend on the moderator. Basically, we're all in the process of joining or being taken captive by a pirate, who is one of Yurie's characters. Can't hop off to do some shopping or catch a kraken while we wait. We're stuck, unfortunately.

Fu Luft
Befuddled Spellblower
Mini-mod

« Reply #801 on: January 28, 2012, 06:51:18 AM »

I have now also written to Chii, the other moderator in Jovloff's Gold, addressing the message to Chii herself as well as to one of her other characters.

Mallorix Volinkov
Adventurous Peasant
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #802 on: January 28, 2012, 01:14:39 PM »

I don't have much to say, and even though I'm not on that often, I will say that I support all efforts to keep this adventure alive. Thank you, Fu, for being so active. My thanks also go to Dek and Rayne for their support.

I'm all in favor of doing something similar to the "side simming" Dek referred to. I'll try to post once a week to do my part.

"I despise merchants. All of them are fat, rich men who yell about things and take your money."
Mallorix's CD
Fu Luft
Befuddled Spellblower
Mini-mod

« Reply #803 on: February 11, 2012, 08:38:14 PM »

I have had no response from either Yurie or Chii, and neither has the administration. I'm at a loss what else to do. I would be up for 'side simming' if we knew that we would be covering an interim period of moderator inactivity; but given that we are uncertain whether the mods will ever  return, I'm not sure I could muster the spirit. So I'm afraid I've given up.

cry

If Yurie does come back after all, I will be ready to continue.

fionn
Prosaic Waif
Approved Character

Mullog

« Reply #804 on: February 13, 2012, 07:53:34 AM »

I'll be sad to see this left be, but it's clear you've done everything you can to try and revive it, Fu. Thank you for trying, and if Yurie or Chii should return I'd be happy to come back.

"If it's teeth are longer than your fingers, for the Ancestors' sake, assume it doesn't want it's belly tickled..."
Fionn's CD
Yurie Yileen
Walker of Dreams
Story Mod

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #805 on: February 16, 2012, 06:05:03 AM »

Okay, feel free to start flinging crap this way - I've been a bastard by leaving the story hanging like this and not letting anyone know what's going on.  I'm ashamed by it, and was touched by reading how much the players have been enjoying the story and their determination to keep it alive.  I have no excuses other than what you already know, and would like to say that I'm deeply sorry for pi**ing you about.

Yes, unfortunately work has taken over my life, but after reading your comments I realise that I need to make time for Santh and the community here.  As such, I've started to write a reply to try and get things moving again.  I see that Fu, Koka, Fionn, Mallorix and Kyros are still involved, but would fully understand if any of them have got sick and tired of waiting for me to get my ar*e in gear.

Well, I'll get a new post up soon and let's see what happens.  Of course, I can't commit to a speedy turn around on replies to posts, but will aim to look in every weekend at some point.

Sorry once again,

Yurie.

Eric Kattaisson
Gentleman of Fortune
Approved Character

« Reply #806 on: February 16, 2012, 06:56:31 AM »

Well, it'd be nice if I could say it had been worth waiting for, that I'd managed to write the best post ever and that I'd been working on it and refining it for months, but that'd quite obviously be a lie.  Still, hopefully it'll open things back up and get the story started again.

As everyone knows, I've been away from the world of Santharia for a while, buried in germ-ridden school books and bullshit bureaucracy, and would very much like to know which players are still active here.  I know Hylph stopped writing some time ago, but wonder if he has made a reappearance.  And what happened to Ylva, Rhia, Royce and Malavon?  Does anyone know if they are still with us?

Also, and I know I'm asking a lot for someone who abandoned ship, but are there any new characters who would fit into this story?  If there were then I'm sure we'd be able to bring them in somehow.

Just wondering...

Don't talk ter me 'bout naval tradition; why, 'tis nowt but drink, whores 'n the lash!

Eric's CD
Fu Luft
Befuddled Spellblower
Mini-mod

« Reply #807 on: February 16, 2012, 07:17:58 AM »

Welcome back, Yurie! It brought a big smile to my face when I saw your post tonight! :D I haven't seen Ylva, Rhia or Malavon in a long time. Royce is still around, I believe.

EDIT: I'm away until 22 Feb, but look forward to picking up the search for Jovloff's Gold when I return.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:22:54 AM by Fu Luft » Logged

fionn
Prosaic Waif
Approved Character

Mullog

« Reply #808 on: February 17, 2012, 07:07:18 AM »

eeeeeep, it's great to see you back Yurie! I'm definitely still up for some piracy, atleast for the forseeable future (which is actually only a few months, I finish uni son and then who knows?) ;)

"If it's teeth are longer than your fingers, for the Ancestors' sake, assume it doesn't want it's belly tickled..."
Fionn's CD
Fu Luft
Befuddled Spellblower
Mini-mod

« Reply #809 on: February 27, 2012, 06:12:42 AM »

Hey, this is just to say that I haven't forgotten about Jovloff's Gold. Coming back from my little trip to Sweden, I've hit a spell of frantic workload. But I'm planning a Fu-post in my head, and hope to have it done by next weekend.

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 57   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 30, 2021, 06:05:42 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]

[October 05, 2020, 02:58:40 PM]