Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chapter One - The Party  (Read 23338 times)
Yurie Yileen
Walker of Dreams
Story Mod

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2009, 01:04:40 AM »

After downing his brandy, and accepting another one from Oknand, Jorn Ranskjun noticed that Rhia was empty-handed.
   “Ah, Rhia!” he said jovially, “I see that you’re being sensible this evening, unlike some.  But come now, I’m sure that a glass of wine won’t cloud your thinking too much!”
   Oknand was already on the case, pouring Rhia a drink.  Jorn, for his part, appeared satisfied and sat down next to Royce.  He gazed around the table at his assembled guests, and decided that it would be best to get business out of the way as quickly as possible.
   “Well, my friends,” he began.  “I’m sure that you must be wondering why I’ve assembled you here this evening.  As you may well know, I am a man of business; and I have a business proposition to put to you all tonight.”  He paused for a moment as he watched their reactions.  “But you must bear with me a while longer, for I believe a little background information would be useful.”  He took a sip from his brandy, and then leant back in his chair.
   “Over the years, I have made my living from trade.  And, I think that most would agree, it has been a very good living, too!  I am a wealthy man, and my life is comfortable.  However, it is the unfortunate nature of this world that what one man has, another desires.  And this holds true for my wealth as much as it does for anything else.  I have been continuously plagued by various vagabonds, thieves, and pirates.  Most have been captured and dealt with accordingly, whilst some have evaded the net of the law.  And, I think it fair to say, almost all have been little more than an itch to me; a mere irritation.
   "I say almost all, for there has been one, a particularly tenacious and cunning pirate, by the name of Tendrim Jovloff.  Now, some of you may have heard the name before, I’m sure that any sailor worth his salt must have heard some of the stories that surround the man.  But for those that don’t know, he is a pirate captain who has attained a somewhat legendary status.  He is rumoured to be wealthier than ten Jorn Ranskjuns put together!  And, although that is certainly a gross exaggeration, I have no doubt that he has amassed a horde of ill-gotten gains.  You see, his legendary wealth is matched only by his legendary meanness!  He is a miser.  His greatest happiness, after stealing, is to merely behold his riches; but rarely to part with them.
   "Of course, I have no desire to acquire his wealth, though a good proportion of it has been made at my expense.  You see, I am already rich enough.  But, there are some treasures, some…items…that are of great importance to me.  Jovloff has stolen five pieces from me that, even though relatively inexpensive in financial terms, are worth more than all the rest of his treasure put together to me.”  Jorn paused and smiled gently, before taking another sip of brandy.
   “My friends, I would very much like you to help me retrieve these items.  And in doing so, make yourselves fabulously wealthy!  I have spent years trying to discover the whereabouts of the rascal’s treasure trove, and not long ago, came very close.  Too close, it would seem; for Jovloff made an unexpected excursion recently, moving his riches to a new hiding place.  Fortunately, one of my ship’s captains managed to follow him, and observed his crew unload a large number of sea chests from his ship.  Believing these chests to contain 'Jovloff’s Gold', (as it’s known to many), my captain moored his boat close-by, and watched as the entire crew entered a thick jungle, the sea-chests strapped to the backs of some unfortunate mules.  He waited, and waited, and then waited some more for their return; but he waited in vain.  Only one man emerged from that remote jungle.  His hair was wild and his clothes torn.  He was covered in cuts and had apparently broken an arm.  My captain, Captain Skangarris, apprehended him, and tried to discover what had become of the rest of the crew.  Unfortunately, the man had lost his senses, and only babbled incoherent nonsense about cities of the dead, ghosts in the night, shadowy shingar and…and…”
   “Giant bats with the bodies of snakes and the head of the Santhran Himself, I believe, sir,” Oknand said; a wry smile on his face.
   “Ah, yes!  Giant bats with the head of the Santhran Himself!”  Jorn repeated with mirth, thumping his fist on the table and laughing loudly.  “Yes, I fear the man had lost his mind completely!  However, when he was searched, Captain Skangarris made a most remarkable discovery.”  Jorn lowered his voice a little and leant closer to the group.  “He found a journal that detailed the exact route that Jovloff had taken, and how to find the way!  It terminated at a place marked, ‘The City of the Damned’, with the words, ‘here lies treasure’!”
   Jorn pulled his head back and wagged a finger in the air.  “My friends!  Do you know what that means?  We almost have it!  Not only do I believe ‘Jovloff’s Gold’ to be real, I believe I have the key to finding it!  Imagine!  A life-time’s worth of plundered treasure, lying unprotected and unknown deep within an unexplored forest, just waiting to be discovered!”  Jorn rubbed his hands together, and a new light had come to his eyes.  “And I only ask for five pieces of the whole!  The rest is yours,” he expanded his arms once more to indicate all those seated at the table.  “To be divided equally amongst you.  And if any of you should perish on the journey, then his share will go to his family, or another, named party!”
   Jorn was positively radiating joy and enthusiasm now.  “So what do you say?  Will you help me?  Will you allow yourselves to become wealthier than you ever dreamed possible?” he asked the group, a look of expectation illuminating his slightly reddened face.

Royce Brodlyn Kristoph
Lost Soul
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2009, 09:59:59 PM »

Royce raised an eyebrow as Ranskjun began to speak.  As he listened to the story being recounted, he became even more incredulous.  This definitely was not what he was expecting.  Now the lavishness of the meeting was beginning to make sense, even if Ranskjun's quest did not.

When Ranskjun was finished, there was a momentary silence, as everyone took in the words that were spoken.  Looking about the table, Royce could not believe that they were considering this.  He knew he had to speak up.

"Are you serious?  Come now, Jorn, you must be pulling our legs.  You can't be expecting us to follow on some... some children's story?"  Royce lifted his hands up in a showing of perplexity.  "I have known you a long time, and I have never seen you taken with fanciful stories."  He shook his head. "Pirates?  Treasure?  And a city of the damned thrown in for good measure?  Surely you jest."

He shook his head again, then stood up and strolled over to the side bar, pouring himself another brandy.  If Ranskjun was not going to take this seriously, then he might as well get some good brandy for his troubles.  Once the tumbler was full, he turned about to face the host, but wearing a more serious expression on his worn features.  He raised his right pointer finger to his lips, tapping it there for a moment.

"Let us assume that this were true, just for a moment, that we are not just chasing fancy."  His arm swept across the room at the assembled guests.  "Then why us?  Why not a band of highly trained soldiers?  or mercenaries?  Take a hard look at this group, Jorn."  Royce looked at the table, each person in turn, and smiled both charmingly and apologetically.  "Is this really the group you want to send?  I've seen more dangerous looking brownies."  He bowed his head.  "And I mean no disrespect to any of you." 

His eyes the locked on the girl sitting next to the man who preferred shadow. "If this indeed is no jest, Jorn, then you will get these good people killed.  Something like this takes a disciplined group, not a motley gathering of strangers."

He then turned to the host once more, his eyes hard and grim.  "What you propose would be a death sentence for these people.  I have to be honest, Jorn, I'm a little taken aback by it."  He sipped the brandy.  "I know you and I go way back, and in truth, I owe you, I'm sure.  Give me a month, I will gather some soldiers that I trust.  Men who have seen battle.  Men who know how to work together.  I'll return, then we can set out on this fool's errand."

He smiled, hopefully. "What say you?"

Royce

Violence is not the answer.  But, it will buy you time to think of one.
Malavon Despana
Wizard's Bane
Approved Character

Maelf , Helcrani Sanhorrhim

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2009, 10:45:44 PM »

Malavon listened , as Jorn spoke , a treasure hunt , did he summoned the "Wizards Bane" to hunt for treasure , how foolish could the man be ?
But if he wanted to call due his debt on this it wasn´t Mal problem ...

Before he could answer , another guest spoke first , and after he finished , Malavon narrowed his eyes , while the man had good points , there was something that made him twitch angrily , the man compared Mal to the rest of this people , now that was something he could not abide , raising his voice , cold and devoid of emotion as always , Malavon said " While I have to agree to some of the things you said friend , I suggest you take back calling me less dangerous than a brownie , I am not on the best mood and you are not helping it ..."
The inherent threat of Mal lingered on the hair , as he continued " Now to answer to Jorn , I am his for what it takes , but Jorn , after this my debt is finished , for good ..."
After he finished he rest his hand on Zaroc his sword , just in case the man didn´t take his words lightly ...

Ill give you a moment to comfort each others before I end your pathetic lives !!

Malavon The Mage Killer
Ylva Rasmussan
Oddball Healer
New Santharian

Human, Murmillion.

« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2009, 12:10:05 AM »

“Fionn,-” The small woman called Fionn answered, Ylva still wasn't sure what sort of creature she was, but the human thought it would be rude to ask, Best just look it up later. Fionn smiled at her, not a fake smile, this one's a honest straight forward person...“I’m a doctor, of sorts. Can I ask your name, ma’am?”

“A doctor...of sorts?” Ylva grinned back, “Me too. I am Ylva Rasmussan. Call me Yl-”

Ylva stopped mid sentence, as the woman witnessed the arrival of a man she presumed was Jorn Ranskjun, Close to how the innkeeper described him...plump in body and with a personality to match...those clothes must take ages to clean...“Ah, welcome, welcome! I trust Oknand has been looking after you well enough,” He made his way to the only empty chair, he proceeded to make a toast. Ylva listened to the man talk, finding out that the Centoraurian man's name was Royce and the young lady was called Rhia. The healer listened to Jorn's proposition, his story of Tendrim Jovloff, thick jungles, five precious treasures, bats, snakes and Santhran himself. To Ylva it didn't seem that unusual.

......“To be divided equally amongst you. And if any of you should perish on the journey, then his share will go to his family, or another, named party!” If any of us should perish on the journey?! I don't want to be sent back to my draks in a box!
“...So what do you say?  Will you help me?  Will you allow yourselves to become wealthier than you ever dreamed possible?”

The one called Royce spoke first, not believing in Jorn's tale. "Then why us? Why not a band of highly trained soldiers? or mercenaries? Take a hard look at this group, Jorn. Is this really the group you want to send? I've seen more dangerous looking brownies." More dangerous looking brownies!? Ha, he wouldn't say that with a bladeaxe in his skull!! Grr!...No wait, that's not proper thinking for a healer to think...Give me a month, I will gather some soldiers that I trust. Men who have seen battle. Men who know how to work together. I'll return, then we can set out on this fool's errand. What say you?"

The shadowy man, who had been in the corner last time Ylva checked, now spoke, his voice absent of any warmth, partly agreeing and partly disagreeing with Royce. That one worries me, he has no happiness in his eyes...

Ylva sighed, deciding that it was best to speak up now, “This isn't a 'fanciful tale', there are legends of the Land of the Dead, where men walk when they should be in their eternal sleep. A city of the damned sounds reasonable to me..." The Murmillion took off her necklace as she turned towards Ranskjun. “Money is all well and good, but what I want is my heritage back.” The healer showed him the dark opal piece of jewelry. “In order to get to Santharia, I traded eight pieces of jewelry like this, with men from your business. If you give me them back, then I will agree to this journey..... but where is this jungle?”
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 01:09:36 AM by Ylva Rasmussan » Logged
Valyssa
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2009, 01:22:01 AM »

The dwarf spoke earnestly and as far as the Remusian could tell, quite honestly. The short chap knew his weapons fairly well, an excellent indication that he was not unaccustomed to their utilization. As the dwarf shifted his weight and placed his elbow on the chair, his tone of voice had changed, a bit lofty and reminiscent possibly. The dwarf’s awareness had become fixated on the arrival of their host, bringing Jen’s eyes to respite upon the man as well. Jenlyn responded to the dwarf, whilst keeping her gaze hooked upon their plump sponsor. “Aye my friend, but bipedal prey does not approach at the speed of a deer, nor does it prefer the caress of a Remusian blade when it arrives.” The maiden’s supple lips parted into a coy grin revealing sparkling whites, while her attentions focused in on Ranskjun’s speech.

The entirety of the man’s rhetoric hinted at children’s stories with promises as insubstantial as the mythological places he spoke of. Although the dangers implied, were no more frightening than some contracts Jenlyn had willing placed herself under in the past. Of course when Jorn had finished more than a few guests immediately began spewing out their ideas and requests for rewards. Evidently none of them had ever been part of anything beyond their own self-serving endeavors. The elderly gentleman instantly went into presumptions that everyone in the room was incapable of defending themselves let alone working in a group.

Next was an odd man that had remained generally distant when Jenlyn had first arrived. At least his words were direct and to the point, minus the fact some of it was obscured behind cryptic innuendos. His words reminded Jen of someone or many people, it was perhaps not so unlike the tone of a person that had seen death quite frequently or inflicted it. Telling which was not possible without knowing the man but she had gotten much the same aura from her elderly brethren. Men that hid behind the horrors committed against them or by them. Regardless he was a man to be watched if not feared; men like him frequently acted brashly and were not likely to carry a sense of companionship with anyone.   

Lastly was a woman of peculiar appearance and no less abnormal demands. What type of person would trade away the value of homeland property to be part of a meeting she knew nothing about? The woman was insane or at least of sub par intellect to say the least. Jenlyn wasn’t exactly the sharpest sword in the rack but if she actually owned anything from her home, she would never of traded it merely for a meeting with an overweight merchant. Then to turnabout and ask for what it cost her to get here, maybe Jen should ask for the price of the bathhouse. Raising a scarred hand to veil her karikrimson lips and stifling a robust giggle.

Gathering herself she reached towards the table and lifted the glass of brandy towards their benefactor. “An interesting tale you weave Milord, but outside the trepidations of the elderly and the demands of compensation for travel, may we get down to facts. Firstly, I doubt you can guarantee beyond a shadow of a doubt that those boxes carried by the sailors held anything more than casks of drink for them to celebrate on. How about we discuss, what if this is a wild goose chase into the unknown with nothing more than the deaths of those present as compensation?” Lifting the goblet to supple lips the mercenary took a long draw from it before continuing on. “Since your wealth seems to be a topic of preference for you, what say you to a base salary with the treasure being our personal bonus for risking our lives?”

Jenlyn blushed brightly as her eyes started to wander about the room. Tiny digits fiddled nervously with the goblet she held, Jen eagerly awaited input from everyone. Somewhat interested in the dwarf's response since he seemed contemplative.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 01:57:20 AM by Jenlýn LeBlanc » Logged
Koka Bentarm
Bearded Lady
Approved Character

Dwarf, Mitharim

« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2009, 04:49:54 AM »

The somewhat condescending, if hidden, smile stayed around Koka's lips when Jorn told his tale of lost treasure and doomed cities. She didn't think anyone here - with the possible exception of Jorn himself, who spoke about it quite eloquently - really fully believed in hoards of treasure just lying around on some island, waiting to be picked up. But then, who was she to deny the truth of the matter? For all she knew, this Jovloff person really had taken all his treasure to this unknown little island, and his men really had all perished (all but one, apparently), and so it was still there. It was possible, if a little improbable. However, with nothing better to do, she might as well go on this goosechase as any other. And, with a light coming into her brown eyes, who knew? She might even find some nice gems... She couldn't care less about the coins that Jorn talked about, but some nice and shiny stones? Well, that was another matter.

Koka brought her brandy to her lips again, sipping it thoughtfully. Before she pledged herself to this wealthy human's quest, she would hear what the others had to say. The reactions were, she thought, amusingly diverse. The first to answer was the man with the worn face, the one who had entered behind her. While she could not fault his choice in drink, she looked at him hard at the insults he casually - and, she couldn't help thinking, deliberately - threw at the whole assembled party. There were some comments she could have made regarding his precious soldiers, if she had gotten the chance. She wanted to ask him where those soldiers of his got their battle experience. As far as she knew, there had not been a full-scale war in these parts in a VERY long time. So where then? Fighting against highway robbers? The group assembled here were all travellers, she thought. At the very least they would have seen more than one city in their lives. Quite likely a number of them had done that exact same thing a number of times. The only thing those soldiers had as an advantage was years of practicing together, but that was just what it was - practicing. Only in a really dangerous situation would you really know how well you could work together with the members of your team. This motley group of travellers was as likely to come out succesful as a whole army.

However, before she had the time to actually tell the brandy-drinker these thoughts, someone spoke up - someone who had taken great offense at the most obvious of the insults. It was one of the few people who she had already decided she didn't like. There was something in his manner of acting, a kind of arrogance, that just rubbed her the wrong way. Even just the way he held himself was a silent testimony of just how important he thought himself, and his words in response to being called less fierce than a brownie only confirmed it. What he said otherwise didn't interest her, so she waited for the next person to speak up.

That next person proved to be a pale-skinned woman, decidedly shorter than most humans - even to the point that she was only slightly taller than Koka herself. Well, apparently someone believed at least in the ghost part of the story, if not in the actual treasure. Koka's eyes were drawn easily towards the black opal necklace of the woman. For a moment her hand twitched, but she calmed herself. Of course she would never stoop to stealing. But oh my, were they beautiful... She'd have to ask the woman later if she could look at it for a while. Even just the feel of it for a little while would make her happy.

She suddenly found her glass empty when she tried to take another sip. Gesturing to Oknand, she asked for a refill of the excellent brandy, then listened to the pink-armoured girl she had been speaking to earlier. She made some fairly good points, and Koka nodded slowly. Speaking up, before someone else took advantage of the lull in the conversation after the girl's questions, she said: "I agree with Jen. There's as much chance of us finding that treasure as there is of dying, or returning empty-handed - and where does that leave us, if you don't pay us? I'd also like to add that we're likely to make some expenses during the course of this journey. I hope that you've given that some thought as well?
In any case, if you agree on paying us a salary for our troubles, I will agree to join you and see where this particular goose-chase takes us." She noticed while she spoke that she had already shortened Jenlyn's name, but that was just a sign that she liked the girl. When she didn't like someone, she would use his full name - if possible first and last name - without every resorting to shortening it.

Having said her say, Koka settled back down with her glass of brandy, swirling it and hearing what the others had to say. Holding the brandy in her left hand, she stroked the broad braids in her beard with the right, listening thoughtfully.

Hylphán
Venturer
Approved Character

Half-Elf, Avennorian/ Arthyron

Homepage
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2009, 07:50:43 AM »

Hylphán listened to the others as they brought out their objections, questions, and suggestions.  His mind was racing through lists of required supplies, weapons, and climate specific clothing that would be needed for a mission of this type.  Finally the turmoil in his thoughts slowly solidified into speech, and he voiced his concerns. "I,sir, have a couple of questions for you.  First, I assume you would be providing a ship to transport us to this 'so called' hiding place?  Next I would have to know if you would be willing to pay for the supplies, specialized weapons and clothing that would be needed for such a venture.  I doubt many of us would, or could, shoulder the costs of outfitting for an expedition.  Turning and looking at the faces around the table, he continued And I,personally, would like to know what these five objects are.  After all, we should all know what we are risking our lives for.

Fair winds and following seas till our paths cross again.

Hylphán's CD
Yurie Yileen
Walker of Dreams
Story Mod

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2009, 07:43:40 PM »

Jorn Ranskjun sat quite placidly as he allowed the assembled guests time to raise their concerns.  When Hylphan had finished speaking, however, he decided it was a good time to address their points.
   “Ah, Royce!  Your concerns are, of course, valid; but I thought you trusted me more than this!  I have not made my fortune by doing things in half measures!  Did I not just say that I have spent years trying to locate this treasure?  Needless to say, I have employed the services of the best, how to say, informants, that can be found.  If I were not one hundred percent sure that those chests do indeed contain what I seek, then I would not have troubled you tonight.
   "But,” Jorn’s face became serious, “I am one hundred percent certain that what I seek lies in those chests; in a forest far away from here.”  The merchant paused momentarily, allowing a sombre silence to follow his words.
   “And this group of strangers is by no means a random collection.  All present here possess abilities that will aid in the successful conclusion of this mission.”  Now his eyes glanced over to Fionn.  “It will take more than a strong arm to retrieve those chests.  I have very little doubt that Jovloff and his men have met their ends, and so I doubt you will encounter any serious opposition from them!  However, the seas on which you will need to sail are infested by pirates, and not the kind that are found in childrens’ stories!  These are violent, often desperate men, with very little to lose.  This is why I have need of those that can use a blade.  Once in the jungle, though, I believe your greatest adversaries will be the animals that dwell therein.
   “Which brings us to the next point;” he continued, addressing the whole group, but looking at Ylva, “your destination.  Right now, one of my fastest ships lies at anchor in the harbour.  It is outfitted with supplies, a masterful crew, and is ready to disembark at a moment’s notice.  The captain has orders to convey you to Queen’s Harbour, which lies in the Scattersand Shoals, where you are to rendezvous with Captain Skangarris.  The jungle in question lies on the island of Triam; Skangarris will be able to give you more details.
   “Of course,” his gaze shifted to Hylphan now, “all necessary supplies will be provided out of my own pocket.  Everything has already been arranged, but if you require something specific, you only have to ask one of my men and they will do their best to attain it for you.”
   Jorn took another sip of brandy, and then turned his attention to Jenlyn and Koka.  “I understand your concerns, and will gladly provide you with a salary, if that would make you more comfortable.  But believe me, when you see Jovloff’s Gold, any salary that I offer will seem insignificant!  They say that seeing is believing, and so maybe I should show you this.”  Jorn carefully slid one of his rings off and held it aloft.  The large, deep blue stone set within the silvery band seemed to glow with an inner light.
   “This ring is one of a pair.  They have been passed down through my family for countless generations.”  Jorn’s eyes fell from the ring to Ylva once more.  “You could say that they are a part of my heritage.”  Now he turned to Hylphan.  “The partner to this one was worn by my third wife, Uddlen, when she was slain by Jovloff, on board a ship heading for her family home in Strata.  It is one of the items that I would like you to recover for me.
   "As you can see,” he reached across and passed it to Hylphan, “it isn’t the most extravagant of pieces; a mithral band set with a rather plain sapphire; but it holds the history of my ancestors, and the memory of my late wife.  The other items that I seek are similar; there is nothing magical or fanciful about them.  However, do not see it that you are risking your lives for me!  The rest of Jovloff’s hoarded treasure is, as I said, yours to keep.  I believe that should be motivation enough!”
  Jorn paused again, before turning back to Royce.  “Royce, if you trust my word, and don’t believe that old age and fine wine have addled my thinking, then accept this quest.  It is a once in a lifetime opportunity.  I will not ask again.  Time is of the essence, and so, even though I appreciate your offer, I cannot give you even one day, let alone a month.  And if you do believe that I have lost my mind, then at least humour the fancies of a crazy old man!
  “Malavon,” Jorn now turned to the icy figure opposite him, “I truly appreciate your aid, and you may consider yourself free of any debt once this task is done.
  “And Ylva, I fully understand your desire to retrieve your heritage.  It is indeed the very thing that I too seek.  If you give me more details of the items that you traded, I will find them, and return them to you once you are safely back from Triam.”
  Once again, a broad smile graced Jorn Ranskjun’s face as he raised his hands and opened his arms in another embracing gesture.  “And so, my friends, are we agreed?  I will pay each of you a basic salary, and every expense incurred will be paid from my own pocket.  The entirety of Jovloff’s treasure, minus the five pieces that I seek, will be divided equally amongst you on your safe return.  Ylva will receive her heritage back, and Malavon will be free of any debt owed.  Could I be any more accommodating than that?”

Rhia
Songbird of the Sea
Approved Character

Human, Blaar'kr

« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2009, 09:53:50 AM »

Certainly, Rhia was social... But the bandying of words that followed Jorn's little speech after his toast rather dizzied her.

Rather, they would have dizzied her, had she been paying attention.

So while everyone but she, the creature in the green dress, and Moody Blue-Eyes were asking skeptical questions about the quest and all those simply tedious details -like transportation, and benefits, and insurance, and all that- which, as Rhia saw it, simply slowed down an adventure, she was thinking up more practical questions. Like if the native food of their destination was tasty. And if there were going to be any dashing princes (race of choice) to sweep certain females off their feet. And what Uncle Jorn wanted the cadence of the song to be like. Why, what song? The song that she was going to compose about their mighty, heroic, legendary adventure of course. Never mind that it hadn't happened yet. That was just another adventure-bogging detail.

She roused herself from her dreams of glory and romance and adventure and all that rubbish that so often fills the heads of young girls only to find that the grownups -Ach, but I hope that's not how I think of them for this whole adventure- were still at it. The woman whose hair she so envied -No, no, anything but envy, I have perfectly good hair, very nice hair in fact, why should I be jealous of someone else's hair? was speaking of compensation and salaries. Rhia, being the girl she was, had no idea in her head what a salary was, nor half of anything else the woman was saying, so naturally she found little interest in what was being said, and her attention promptly wandered again.

She happily discovered a glass of wine resting under her fingers. Now how did that get there? She sniffed it and found that it had a pleasing scent. Gingerly, Rhia sipped it. She was not too accustomed to fine liquor, being used to on the most part to the coarser drinks, but happily commenced to downing the beverage. Sipping, she kept an eye and an ear on the quick-paced conversation as Jorn appeased the questioning guests. Finally, after what seemed hours, Rhia sensed an end to the monologues, or at least a lull.

"...upon your safe return," Jorn was saying with a greatly mollifying smile- arms out wide, looking like he wanted to hug all the attendees at once. (And Rhia was sure he truly did want to.)  "Ylva will receive her heritage back, and Malavon will be free of any debt owed. Could I be any more accommodating than that?"

Upon your safe return... Rhia hadn't thought that far ahead, beyond the glory and grandness and famousness and all the things that were shoo-ins with adventures. Come to think of it, what would it be like after the adventure was over?

She realized that now was the time to voice her concerns. She set down her wine glass (which, gosh darn it, was beginning to make her head feel pleasantly fuzzy and light) and sat up straight. "I have a concern of my own, um, sir." Rhia realized that she wasn't sure how she should address Uncle Jorn in light of the situation. "Not to seem hasty, but when is our departure? Just so I can get an idea of how much time I'll have to pack." She would have, naturally, liked to ask all those terribly important questions, like how sanitary the privies would be, but somehow she sensed that they were too... maybe delicate to be asked at this moment. Also Rhia didn't think that the others would quite appreciate the nature of her own questions.

Oh look! Her glass was as empty as a pitworm's head. Listening to others argue (or something close to it) sure was fatiguing. She gestured politely to the butler. Better refresh herself with some more wine.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 05:43:53 AM by Rhia » Logged

Royce Brodlyn Kristoph
Lost Soul
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2009, 02:11:19 PM »

As soon as he had stopped speaking, Royce awaited the expected outcry.  It came, as he knew it would, in the form of the man who preferred the shadows.  He could not help but roll his eyes at the man's threat toward him. "You'll forgive me, if your mood concerns me next to little."  He then listened as each of the other guests voiced their concerns.  It dismayed him to hear that they were worried about the pay.  They really had no idea what it was they were up against.  Their lives at stake and they were haggling over money?  Since when did a dead man need money?

Finally, the man named Hylphan voiced some practical concerns.  Royce listened then as Ranskjun explained himself.  He could not help but feel disappointment as the host defended his choices, and politely declined Royce's offer at professional men.  It was a mistake.  One that could very probably see people dead because of it.

Still, this was Ranskjun's party, and it was the man's choice.  He now had two choices.  Stay, or leave.

"Very well, Jorn.  But, you know I care little for money.  We'll sort that out after, if any of us come back.  I go for you, for all that I've owed you, and for our friendship.  I have voiced my concerns, that is enough.  I trust you.  If you say these people have more to offer than what I see at first look, then I shall reserve judgement.  I give you my word that I shall come back with your treasure, or I shall not come back at all."

Royce

Hylphán
Venturer
Approved Character

Half-Elf, Avennorian/ Arthyron

Homepage
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2009, 11:52:10 PM »

Hylphán listened to Royce pledge himself to the current proposal, while thinking to himself that the man had made a couple of good points about the group.  Hylphán had found through the years however, that sometimes an unlikely group could succeed where a trained crew would fail because of their training. 
     Turning to Jorn, Hylphán then said "You may count me in on this expedition sir.  But if this is as urgent as you say, I must take my leave to prepare.  There are several items of clothing that I must acquire before we leave, and I hope your men are able to locate what I need.   I must pick up my belongings from the inn as well.  I will also need to know the ship's name, and the berth location, as well as a time of departure.  So, if there is nothing else, I shall depart now."
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 07:33:59 PM by Hylphán » Logged

Fair winds and following seas till our paths cross again.

Hylphán's CD
fionn
Prosaic Waif
Approved Character

Mullog

« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2009, 04:58:15 AM »

Fionn didn’t have much time to wonder what kind of medicine Ylva practised, as she was cut off by the arrival of a man who quickly made it apparent that he was Jorn Ranskjun. As she listened to the long speeches, dramatic plans and vehement arguments that followed, Fionn’s single working eye lit up with a glimmer that owed more to imagination than candlelight. Her mind filled with stories, the ancient play of word and images running fluidly through her brain like dark streams under starlight.

This sounds like an adventure.

As some of the guests talked seriously of salaries and expenses, part of Fionn’s mind (the part which felt most keenly the growls of her stomach) pointed out how much her life might change if she had the kind of money being offered here. But the rest of her thoughts were already running far ahead, tugged by scraps of the oldest stories she knew, telling of endless waters that tasted of blood but looked like fallen thunder, of tall thick trees that smelt of life and teemed with swarming creatures, of heroes and monsters and long journeys. Gazing transfixed at nothing in particular, a slow, kaimun-like smile spread across her pale face.
She realised that her aquiescence would presumably be needed at some point. Flicking her half-stare quickly up to Mr. Ranskjun, she said simply, decisively, “I’ll go.”

"If it's teeth are longer than your fingers, for the Ancestors' sake, assume it doesn't want it's belly tickled..."
Fionn's CD
Malavon Despana
Wizard's Bane
Approved Character

Maelf , Helcrani Sanhorrhim

« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2009, 02:05:54 PM »

A smile filled Malavon lips as Royce finished , while Mal said nothing to respond , his mind was racing with a way to make him pay dearly that words , Talk all you want , a jungle is big enough to one get lost and accidents do happen ....

Leaving Royce for the moment , Malavon heard as the other "companions " , expressed their concerns , as they did , Mal observed more closely them , this sure was a strange gathering while some seemed to know his way with weapons there were other that left much to be desired , at least on Mal opinion , shaking his head , he felt he had to make a last question before going to prepare himself for the voyage , gods knows  who that would be before he could return or not ...
Raising his voice , clear and cold he asked Jorn " Pardon Jorn , gold is good and all , but I need to know , who amongst us is going to lead this expedition , such a diversity of people need a leader , if we are to succeed we need one , like Royce said , until know we were complete strangers , and while I could defend myself , can everyone here say the same ? "
Malavon didn´t  said any names , but his eyes were looking directly to Rhia and the small woman that addressed last Jorn.
"I don´t want to have their lives on my conscience , I already have enough to last for two lifetimes..."
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 02:07:30 PM by Malavon Despana » Logged

Ill give you a moment to comfort each others before I end your pathetic lives !!

Malavon The Mage Killer
Yurie Yileen
Walker of Dreams
Story Mod

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2009, 02:02:29 AM »

Jorn Ranskjun bowed his head towards Royce.  “Royce, my friend, you cannot know how much your trust and promise of help means to me.  Thank you!
   “And Rhia, I fear that you don’t have much time to pack at all!  Why, it is my earnest desire that you leave first thing tomorrow morning.  But don’t worry, my dear, everything that you could possibly need, (except for a good husband), is already on board!  I somehow knew that you wouldn’t refuse to aid a poor, old man such as I!”  Jorn flashed Rhia a quick wink, before turning to Hylphan.
   “Hylphan!  Does my company bore you so?  Please, if you tell Oknand where your belongings are, he can arrange to have them picked up and moved to the ship without your having to lift even a finger!  You’re more than welcome to stay here this evening; why, your rooms have already been arranged.  And this food needs to be finished; I’m certain that it would be too much for me alone.  So stay, and eat your fill.  I fear that it may be the last good meal that you will have for quite some time!  As for the specialist clothing you require, again, just tell Oknand here, and it shall be arranged.
   “And, oh my, the ship!  You know, at first I thought that a discreet vessel would be best; something small and unassuming.  But then it occurred to me that the most discreet vessel would be one that is a regular sight on the route from here to Queen’s Harbour.  And, as speed is of the highest importance, I have arranged for you to sail on board The Southern Arrow!  I must confess, she’s one of my personal favourites.  You know, she can top 360 sal'cul an hour if the conditions are right!  Your captain will be Captain Fjorwek, a most competent and agreeable man.  And you don’t have to worry about accommodation; I won’t have you crammed in a bunk with the rest of the crew.  No, you’ll be staying aft, with Captain Fjorwek.  Really, you have nothing to worry about; everything has been arranged.
   “And that includes the issue of leadership,” Jorn added, turning to Malavon.  “Whilst on board the Arrow, you will be under the command of Captain Fjorwek.  Discipline is of dire importance on board any sailing vessel, and as such, you will all be expected to obey the captain’s orders without question.  Then, once you have reached Queen’s Harbour, you will be transferred to the care and guidance of Captain Skangarris.  He will lead the expedition into the jungle.  Have no fear!  He is as tough as a pair of old boots!  And, as you will all be working together, for a common goal, I would hope that you will help each other in any way that you can.”
   Finally, Jorn turned to Fionn.  “Thank you, Fionn,” he said simply, “I’m sure that you will find this adventure to be most gratifying.  But please, don’t be shy; this food won’t eat itself!”  And, in illustration of his point, Jorn reached over, spearing a piece of succulent fish with his fork.

Royce Brodlyn Kristoph
Lost Soul
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2009, 11:18:41 AM »

Royce sat once again at the table, while listening to Ranskjun.  He nodded at what he heard, pleased that a "captain" would be leading them.  He hoped that it was a military title, and not just a title the man used to promote himself, with no real authority behind it.  But, he would trust in his friend.  There was no use in over thinking it.  Things would sort themselves out.

He followed Ranskjun's example and helped himself to some fish.  It was delicious, and so he took another while his host conversed with the others.  He then smiled to himself.  How ironic.  His last night on land for who knew how long, and he was eating fish.  In a few days time, he would probably have had his lifetime fill of fish.  And he doubted that some shipboard galley cook would be able to serve it quite this tasty.

"So, Jorn.  I know not about the others, but I have a couple of horses, and...," he rolled his eyes slightly, " a dumb mutt with me.  I have them stabled at the moment, but I will need to make arrangements for them, or are we going to bring them?  If I were to have my druthers, I would take Manowar with me, but I'm not familiar enough with your ship to know if this will be feasible.  If not, then I am also not sure if I trust the stablemaster with my horses.  If I cannot take them, then perhaps I can keep them here?  Should I not return, consider them yours.  The dog?  I might just give to you anyway."
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 11:20:08 AM by Royce Brodlyn Kristoph » Logged

Royce

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]