Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Incoherent Rambling (or something of that nature)  (Read 17298 times)
Capher
Cleric
Approved Character

Dragon

« Reply #135 on: May 28, 2009, 03:28:28 AM »

Yeah, Babylon 5, that was it. Thanks Altario.

Thanks Eric, I hope my female character actually talks and thinks like a female. I wonder how do females write male characters so easily? Is it because we are not as complicated as a female?

Any female out there who writes a male character care to comment on this question?
Kalna Dal'isyrs
Dal'isyrs
Mini-mod

High Elf, Karrhem

« Reply #136 on: May 28, 2009, 07:15:55 AM »

Well Capher, people have been able to keep their cool with the few topics which have taken place here, so...tentatively, I would say it is ok. Granted, we keep it under observation and can lock it if need be (for tempers to cool)

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Nai'r en'Lina ar'Kaimel
Ori Amnan
Prowler
Approved Character

Elf, Injern

« Reply #137 on: May 28, 2009, 05:24:27 PM »

@Kalina: To what question did you answer? I don't see any earnest argument going on in here.

Concerning female leads it seems rather dependant on what you want to write. A female firefighter is still a firefighter so a female warrior / warleader would still be a warleader. It would be more on a personal level and how the character interacts (or is viewed) in her environment where things would differ.

Overall, looking at history I do not see Queen Mary, Elizabeth of Britain, Elizabeth of Russia or Catherina the Great behave any different than the male monarchs of their time other than not participating in military campaigns themselves (which became rarer for male sovereigns as well anyway)

I'm not saying there is no difference but male characters seem easier because the cultural archetypes for male heroes are there since the classical Greeks while female heroes are a relatively exotic and modern idea.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 05:29:44 PM by Ori Amnan » Logged

Capher
Cleric
Approved Character

Dragon

« Reply #138 on: May 29, 2009, 02:41:33 AM »

Ori, Kalina was responding to my question whether a debate thread would be approriate.

The female character I was talking about was not one in here, but in a short story I have been thinking about and developing for sometime now. She is in the present.

The premise of the story is that she remarried after her first husband shot himself and her 15 yr old son, rebelled against the marriage and does not like his new step-dad because he is a born again Christian and is trying to persuade his new family to become one as well. She also has a 13 yr old girl who is a bit more open minded. I am having trouble with the girl as well. What do 13 yr old girls think about, besides boys that is?  grin
Twn Arerwn
Death's Mistress
Approved Character

Elf, Iferhm

« Reply #139 on: May 29, 2009, 03:21:11 AM »

Capher, the only assistance I could give you is my own experiences at 13ish. Outside of boys... music, clothing, make-up, reading (Probably the Twilight trilogy being the most popular presently.) and 'texting' would be the prevailing activities. If you have the 'nerdy' gene like some of us, these would also include writing, gaming and extra curricular activities.

Emotionally speaking, thirteen is between bliss and a nightmare. Which is probably not much different for guys as it is us, life changes and all. I think that was about the time I started telling guys "I have eyes, look at them when you speak to me, please." LOL
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 03:41:08 AM by Twn Arerwn » Logged

The spell fell upon the crowd like a dragon,
ancient and full of death.
Yurie Yileen
Walker of Dreams
Mini-mod

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #140 on: May 29, 2009, 02:49:52 PM »

13...don't bring back those memories!  Damn, I hated being a teenager!  I would think that teenage girls spend a lot of their time trying to fit into a group of some kind, perhaps even more so than boys.  Probably the whole, "I'm independant and don't need to listen to my parents" thing as well.  But I could be wrong...

Rhia
Songbird of the Sea
Approved Character

Human, Blaar'kr

« Reply #141 on: May 29, 2009, 11:26:40 PM »

When I was thirteen... (way back before March, such a long time ago, you know ;)) Well, most of my concerns have changed, but some have still remained... I was mostly concerned with keeping my grades up, worrying about my writing skills going down the drain, reading... Yes, Capher, and also the boy I liked.... ;) But prolly the one that took up the most space in my head was the whole 'fitting in' deal. Every single day of school I was in agony, hoping that I wasn't torturing my friends by sitting by them during lunch, or claiming them for partners during group activities. (Heck, I'm still fervently hoping like that, just not in RL) And it was made worse because my friends would kind of forget about me sometimes/often... When my teacher would let two of my girl-friends make seating arrangements for the class, one of them would say to the other, when they were half-finished, "Who else do you want to sit by?" "Well, Colton, Michael, and Cash, obviously," the other would say. Inside me was this inner struggle not to wave my hand in the air and shout, "Yoohoo, I exist!" The last thing a thirteen-year-old girl wants is to forcibly make their friends like them, so I kept my words and my pride bundled up inside of me.

Anyway, physically, thirteen is just... horrible. It's the time when your body decides to freak you out. One day your body up and says, "Hm, I'm bored with being a normal, easy-to-handle body. I know! Let's start growing pelvic hair and chests and monthly blood, all on the same day!" and doesn't do you the kindness of telling you until the next day, when it's too late.

Hope that helps, Capher, though it's more likely to scare you off! Pet

Capher
Cleric
Approved Character

Dragon

« Reply #142 on: May 30, 2009, 09:41:54 AM »

I am glad I was born a male. The only thing I can recall about being thirteen, was my voice changing at the wrong times, mostly, which was total embarrassment. Yeah, there was the growing of pubic hairs, but that was like a badge of honor as well as hair on the chest or chin if you were lucky enough to get them. 

Psychologically, I think both the "fitting thing in" was both felt by both boys and girls. Though I always had the feeling that whenever I looked at a girl in my school that they had it much better than I and were laughing at me. (my perception) However there were the "clicks" around that age there were the "Greasers (they were the bad boys and gals of school) The Jocks and Cheerleaders (I think you know who those were, the 'popular' kids) and last of all the Nerds (that would be anyone who did not fit into the other ones.

I have seven sisters and two daughters and you would think I would know what you have told me Twen and Rhia, but there mother took care of all of that "growing up" things. I thank God I was not born a female. I think I would have gone insane, with all of what you said happenend to your body Rhia all at the same time and not telling you! How...I mean how would you handle such a thing if your cycle would suddenly spring upon you in school! The embarassment would cause me not to go to school for a very very long time, that is for sure.

All of that aside, thank you for some insight into a young girls life. I suppose it would also be different as well if you were of a different race than white, I assume. I could be wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]