Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: OOC: Obviously, Out of Character area  (Read 47887 times)
Muargath
New Santharian

« Reply #225 on: August 01, 2003, 03:21:22 PM »

That, my friends, is how one retires a character!

Sadly, I didn't think this story was working for Muargath (even with all of Gashnum's help) so this was as good a time as any to kill her off.  Muargath isn't a fighter as was clearly demonstrated by this encounter with the demons.

And just so you all know, I had planned for her to die in this story all along, which was why (another reason) I never brought her to Nyermersys (10 years in the future) .

I hope this tragic event somehow adds to the story and possibly to each of your characters too (well, at least the ones that cared about Muargath).  Think of her as the Tasha Yar of this story, if you will.  One of the things that rarely happens in these online stories is the death of a PC.  I don't know if Muargath is the first, but I hope she will not be the last!  We all know it's better to go out in a blaze of glory than to fade away.  Now where did I hear that before?

I will continue to read this story guys.  Make me proud.  ;)

Muargath
-Wondering if there is a Hall of Glory for dead PCs on this board.  If there isn't, there should be!

"There is serenity in Chaos.
Seek ye the Eye of the Hurricane."
- so says the Principia Discordia

Muargath
New Santharian

« Reply #226 on: August 02, 2003, 01:02:22 AM »

"This here is Alia Locktear. She joins us at least for this small leg of our journey for she studies herbs from our sage's vast library."

"with a slight movement of her right wrist the demon's flesh springs into a bought of searing white flame. It flails around forgetting its victim and scowls at Alia as it's charred body collapses and dies"

Hey Sinen, this show of power on Alia's behalf is incosistant with the story.  If she can destroy the demons so easily, then why are the rest of the PCs fighting at all?  She could just wave her hand and take them all out, right?

And just a three days before, Alia was only a healer , with earth element spells, who needed help when attacked by  a few orcs.  Suddenly she's causing destruction via conflagration?  Check your back posts, if you don't believe me.

You may want to alter you post a bit.  Such a show of power by an NPC is unfair to the other players in your story...

Sinen Darkchild
Fighter
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #227 on: August 02, 2003, 02:08:22 PM »

There is more to Alia than you've yet to see...she is quite powerful, and is more than a healer. However, to bear her full might on the demons would be far more dangerous than fighting them...plus it is her personal oath not use her power for that other than healing and aiding others...and only in desperate need...further, she prefers you not know what she is....Clues will be there and learn more about her as time passes, but the object is to raise curiosity....

Further, when you see the severe consiquences for such a display of power and use of such Raw magic, you'll understand why she has not destroyed every demon, and needed help against Orcs...but for the record, she didn't actually need help with the orcs...As I remember it, it was Sinen who rushed blindly to her aid without paying attention to her needs...

When you see what is to come you'll understand. Trust me, it isn't unfair...such power comes with severe drawbacks and weaknesses...And not one of her spells has been an elemental magic...it is a much deeper magic...all her work with the earth has been nothing more than reshaping what already exists....And her little fire thing was nothing more than manipuation of the combustible air around a flamable material...a bit of logic...she can't create Earth or Fire or any element. She works with that which is in existance...She isn't too powerful...she's just smart and knows how to use what she has to work with...still, maybe you should question her when the battle is over...

Of course, you set it up so you die, she doesn't save you as All she did was kill a demon in rage...or maybe vengence for a traveling companion...either way, she pays the consequences for her use of power.....

Fools rush into battle blindly, but who is really the fool? The fool or the fool who follows him.

Edited by: Sinen Darkchild at: 8/2/03 6:18

Fools rush into battle blindly, but who is really the fool? The fool or the fool who follows him?

Sinen Darkchild CD
Muargath
New Santharian

« Reply #228 on: August 02, 2003, 06:12:22 PM »

Well, it is your game, Sinen.  I only pointed out what looked to be a mistake.  Be wary of making an NPC that far exceeds the PCs in power.  

Just a little advice from a long-time gamemaster: you'll only end up making the Players feel like they are useless or unimportant to the story, or worse, that they have to "play up" their own power levels to match Alia's.  (Then you end up with a Gods-R-Us campaign.)

And also take care that you don't make the Alia NPC your own.  If you do, then you have effectively bypassed the CD creation rules and that, too, is extremely unfair.  The CD Mods might not take too kindly to that either.  Best to keep her at arm's length!

Believe me, there is nothing worse than fighting your way, tooth and nail, to the very throne of the biggest baddy, and then- just as you are about to defeat him- along comes the NPC sidekick who takes out the main objective... leaving everyone else to stand around looking dumb, like they just wasted a large portion of their lives playing in a game that would've ended the same whether they participated or not.  I've been in such games and they are no fun.

You have a couple of mages in your game already.  Gararion is the highest level mage allowed for a PC... isn't his wind magic powerful enough to make a difference?  What about Dray?  Can't he gain more power along the way?  I hope you will look over your player's PCs and use them to make your game, that's kinda what they are there for.

Anyhoo, sorry for the "lecture", I just saw that Alia's power has taken a huge leap upward and I didn't want to see her overshadow the PCs, is all.   8o

Carry on, carry on.

Muargath  

Sinen Darkchild
Fighter
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #229 on: August 03, 2003, 01:23:22 AM »

Trust me, Alia isn't sticking around through the end of the story. I know I have mages and there magic is perfect, but it isn't the same as Alia's magic. That a totally different form of magic. But as I've already said, I won't have an NPC showing large power unless he/she suffers large consequences for it.

Besides, soon, and I mean very soon, everyone will find out exactly how important they are. That is to say, every person is important and required. Alia is a figure from Sinen's past, a person I brought in simply for the purpose of further developing Sinen himself. I have an overall plan for her. Just keep watching and you'll see.

Anyway, thanks for the concern and the advice. I already knew all that but then I've been Role Playing since I could talk practically.  

Fools rush into battle blindly, but who is really the fool? The fool or the fool who follows him.

Edited by: Sinen Darkchild at: 8/2/03 17:27

Fools rush into battle blindly, but who is really the fool? The fool or the fool who follows him?

Sinen Darkchild CD
Dray Ducroix
New Santharian

« Reply #230 on: August 06, 2003, 05:13:22 AM »

Where is everybody the only posts made in the last 2 weeks were by sinen myself gashum and muragath and now that she is dead that leaves 3 where are all the others who started? Gararion? Elende? Vir? Jamalian? Junas? anybody know?

Sinen Darkchild
Fighter
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #231 on: August 07, 2003, 01:49:22 AM »

Jamalian and Junas I haven't seen in a while...I've been contemplating dropping them...vir I've not seen either, but who knows....Gararion, well, I don't think he's been able to get here much

Sinen Darkchild CD
Sieg Caosetic
New Santharian

« Reply #232 on: August 07, 2003, 02:10:22 PM »

Is there room for another???

Sinen Darkchild
Fighter
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #233 on: August 07, 2003, 03:10:22 PM »

I'd say there is, but first I need to know how your going to enter into the story....

Sinen Darkchild CD
Sieg Caosetic
New Santharian

« Reply #234 on: August 07, 2003, 09:25:22 PM »

K, let me do some reading for a while and then ill figure out a way.

Sieg Caosetic
New Santharian

« Reply #235 on: August 08, 2003, 12:23:22 AM »

Well, assuming your in the woods(I dont know where) I could say that Sieg heard the clash of metal to his west or somthing.  He runs as fast as he can to see some demons(If you could tell me how many are left that would be great) attacking a group of travelers.  Then I could just go on and kill a demon or 2.  After the battle, you guys aproach me and what not and then, if its ok with you, im in...

Sinen Darkchild
Fighter
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #236 on: August 09, 2003, 04:15:22 PM »

well, we're not in the woods at the moment....we're just outside....I'm going to say there's 15 demons left as I seen to have lost track....and that seems right

Sinen Darkchild CD
Sieg Caosetic
New Santharian

« Reply #237 on: August 13, 2003, 06:59:22 AM »

so that would be cool if I just took out the woods part.

Sinen Darkchild
Fighter
Approved Character

Elf, Quaelhoirhim

« Reply #238 on: August 13, 2003, 02:07:22 PM »

yeah, that would be cool....

Sinen Darkchild CD
Sieg Caosetic
New Santharian

« Reply #239 on: August 13, 2003, 02:57:22 PM »

K, tell me if thats good

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]