Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chapter Two - All Aboard!  (Read 41530 times)
Yurie Yileen
Walker of Dreams
Story Mod

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #165 on: June 20, 2009, 07:58:37 PM »

After hearing the lookout’s words, Captain Fjorwek walked over to the rail, and went to raise his telescope again; but there was no need.  The small boat was much closer now, and two, hulking shapes could be seen inside it.
   “Heave to!” he ordered, and soon the gigantic Southern Arrow had come to a rest, dwarfing the tiny vessel that it floated next to.  As the captain peered over the rail, he could hear the slap of waves against the Arrow’s hull, and the distant chatter of sailors.  But despite these familiar, comforting sounds, he felt decidedly uneasy again.
   “Doctor!  Lieutenant!” he called.  “Would you come and have a look at this?”

Koka’s answer had surprised the lieutenant; who didn’t know what the forces were?  Armed service had been Chyreth Ustaskjan’s whole life!  Still, these small folk were strange; perhaps they didn’t have an army?
   Following this shock, the revelation that Koka was actually female had almost been expected; nothing about other races made much sense!
   Royce had started firing now, and as his arrows thudded home, Ms Koka showed her complete lack of discipline by wandering off.
   Once Royce had finished firing, the lieutenant beckoned for him to join her to count his score.  Fortunately, every one of his arrows had managed to hit the target, and after counting, it was clear that he had won.
   “Congratulations,” Lieutenant Ustaskjan said, “your score of twenty five beats Koka’s twenty.”
   She was going to elaborate further, about how bows should be utilised in sea battles, but the captain’s voice stopped her.
   “Excuse me,” she said, before going over to the rail to join him.

“What do you make of it?” the Captain asked Doctor Jorek when he arrived.  “They certainly are a queer pair, aren’t they? I mean!  Just look at that brute, there!”  The captain pointed to one of the huge figures crouched in the ludicrously small life boat.  “I bet he tops two peds when he’s stood up!”
   “Aye, sir,” the doctor replied, “And he’d probably be happiest crushing your skull or strangling you to death!  He looks the sort, don’t you think?”  The doctor raised his own hands and imitated a lunatic choking the life out of a helpless victim.
   “Well, he certainly looks like a ruffian,” the captain replied.  “But what of the other fellow?”
   For a moment, the doctor was silent, and then he made a gurgling noise and his eyes widened.  Captain Fjorwek turned to look at him, and asked if he was alright.  In response, the doctor flapped his hands and pointed at the other sinister shape in the boat.
   “Why…it’s a…no…yes…it must be…just look at the tail!”
   “What is it, doctor; you’re making no sense!”
   Doctor Jorek paused briefly, in order to compose himself.
   “I’m sorry, sir,” he said at last.  “But I believe that’s a psyrpent!”
   “A sly serpent; whatever do you mean?”
   “A psyrpent,” the doctor repeated.  “It’s a kind of ancient beast, created by dark magic from a snake and a monkey!  Oh, I’ve heard plenty of stories about them over the years, but I never thought I’d be lucky enough to see one!  To be honest, I thought they were only a myth!”
   “Whatever it is, I don’t like the look of it, sir!”  Lieutenant Ustaskjan had arrived now, and felt compelled to offer her opinion on the matter.  “And that other one looks like some kind of a crazed strangler!”
   “My thoughts, exactly!”  Doctor Jorek exclaimed, slapping the lieutenant on the back.
   “Just the kind of villains we don’t want aboard our ship, sir,” the lieutenant continued.
   Captain Fjorwek nodded his head slightly.
   “That may be so, lieutenant, but there are rules to be followed.  We can’t leave them to the mercy of the sea; it’s our duty to bring them aboard.”
   The lieutenant nodded in agreement.
   “Aye, sir; I’ll send some of my men over to have a closer look at them.”
   “Very well, lieutenant.  If they aren’t dangerous, they are to be brought aboard.”
   The lieutenant saluted briskly, and then set about organising a small detachment of marines to row over to the little boat to investigate its bizarre occupants further.

Yurie Yileen
Walker of Dreams
Story Mod

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #166 on: June 22, 2009, 04:08:43 PM »

Malavon

Malavon didn’t reply to Hylphan’s words; instead, he just smiled coldly.  The training sword that the lieutenant had given him felt awkward compared to his usual weapon of choice, but that wouldn’t prevent him from winning this match!
   With great care, the Wizard's Bane approached Hylphan, his whole body taut and ready to spring into action.  It seemed as though Hylphan was playing a waiting game, his guard was up, but he hadn’t made an attack yet.  Deciding to take the initiative, Malavon suddenly lunged forwards, his blade slicing down in an arc towards his opponent’s neck.
   Within a blink, Hylphan’s sword had blocked the blow, but that was only to be expected.  As soon as Malavon felt the contact, he switched his attack to the other side, swinging his blade around to make a backhand attack.  But again, Hylphan’s blade countered the blow.  Not to be deterred, Malavon completed his opening attack by seamlessly flowing into an overhand cut, his blunted blade powering straight down towards Hylphan’s left shoulder.
   Once again, though, the cut was blocked.  Withdrawing from the attack as quickly as he had entered it, Malavon smiled again.  This time, there was a little more warmth in it.
   “Not bad for an old man!” he said, trying to taunt Hylphan forwards.

Fu Luft
Befuddled Spellblower
Mini-mod

Human, Avennorian/ Eyelian

« Reply #167 on: June 25, 2009, 04:57:28 AM »

People seemed to run in all directions. Fu couldn’t make sense of what was happening on this ship at all. The captain and several sailors gaped out at sea. The dwarf had fallen on his knees, and was being attended to by the imp. “Try and breathe in through your nose, then out through your mouth, see?”, the imp said. Sound advice! Breath was the secret of everything, as far as Fu was concerned. Take juggling, for example. A lot of people believe that the skill is in the hands. But real mastery, knew Fu, only came when your hands worked by themselves, and you only had to focus on your breath to keep your body in balance and your limbs in perfect rhythm. And also …

Fu stopped himself. Here he was, preparing a lecture on breathing. Big use that would be to the dwarf now. He didn't seem to be able to see anything, and probably wouldn't appreciate Fu's philosophy of juggling. The imp, on his part, seemed rather confident in his reactions. Was he a doctor as well, then? Like that quack who had poked Fu with a needle? Fu looked to where Jorek had attended to the brave lady earlier – but couldn't see him. The lady was still there, though, and seemed to gaze at Mallorix; Mallorix, in turn, seemed to gaze at the whipmaster; and the whipmaster seemed to gaze – nowhere at all, or maybe at the captain. He wasn’t going to continue the whipping, was he?

”I be having to be doing something,” Fu mumbled to himself. ”I can’t be letting this cruelty be going on, and me being the one who be deserving of the whipping, if anyone be deserving of whipping at all!”

So Fu the wind wizard walked the few steps over to the whipmaster, stood up on his tiptoes so that he could almost reach the tall man’s shoulder with his mouth. The effect be better, to be sure, if I could be whispering into that ear of his, but I be having to make do!

Fu said: ”Ye, don’t ye be whipping anymore, I be telling ye. This here Mallorix be my friend, and whoever be whipping Mallorix, I shall be, erm, I shall be very angry with! And whoever I be very angry with, I be telling ye, shall have his whip turned into a poisonous snake that be attacking him!”

The secret of a successful bluff is that your opponent is uncertain about just how much you can do. Hadgrun the whipmaster, however, knew exactly what that stowaway could do. And that was: nothing! Earlier, that fool claimed to have walked on water – yet he hadn’t put up any resistance when he had been shackled to the deck. What a pathetic jellyfish! Why was he running around free, anyway?

Hadgrun had not heard the story of the pipe and the captain’s hat, didn't believe in wizardry in general, and was thus quite immune to Fu’s attempts at intimidation. The whipmaster wasn’t in the best of moods. He had failed his target, and in the worst possible way – because of that stupid wench who had got in between his whip-arm and the prisoner’s exposed back! Such a beautifully strong, broad back it had been, a perfect canvas onto which Hadgrun had planned to draw a symphony in red – and yet he’d had to halt his lash after only a single blow. And what was more, he had hit one of the captain's precious passengers. It was not a good omen for this journey! In short, Hadgrun had no time for Fu. With a petulant grunt, he pushed the little wizard away.

Fu stumbled backwards, tried to steady himself, but didn’t succeed and was about to fall onto his bottom when he bumped into something soft. A person! Thanks to this, Fu was able to regain his balance. He turned around and said:

”I be sorry! Oh, I be making nothing but trouble ever since I set foot on this here wretched ship. Prithee be forgiving a fool!”

Fu took a breath. He felt a bit shaken from the experience of staggering on the swaying deck. Yet he calmed down somewhat as his attention was drawn to the face of the person whose body had halted his fall. Had he seen it before?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 05:08:26 AM by Fu Luft » Logged

Ylva Rasmussan
Oddball Healer
New Santharian

Human, Murmillion.

« Reply #168 on: June 25, 2009, 01:12:29 PM »

Ylva listened and scribbled down the life of Lady Shiana. It was a flimsy lie at best, only Mr Roach’s damaged mind made it real to him. Perhaps accepting flimsy lies is better than facing the harsh truth, what happened to him to make him this?

"But what of you?  How did you come to be here?  Are you friends of the Captain?" Mr Roach inquired with the curiosity of a small child.

Ylva stayed silent, writing more notes, and let Fionn explain, as she hid her face behind her notebook to show no signs of her smiling at the term ‘quest’. Hah.The word conjured up ideas of brave heroes and warriors, not the motley bunch that Ranskjun had gathered together. Her younger self would have agreed with Mr Roach’s idea of a quest, but nowadays she’d forgotten that longing for adventure, reality had crushed it. In Ylva’s book, ‘quest’ was now just a fancier word for ‘trouble’.

"Ylva! Fionn! Could you spare me a moment?  I'm curious to know what you make of this."

Ylva sighed lightly; reluctant at having to pause her work. Her feet dragged themselves after Fionn’s, placing her behind Jorek. The woman peered over Jorek’s shoulder, luckily the guy was short enough for her to do this, quietly listening, as Fionn answered him as well as anyone could, it’s not exactly easy to speak professionally when the man has been shot in the behind…

A man carrying a whip stepped lightly down the stairs, spotting him, immediatly Ylva’s guts starting to churn, he’s not injured why is he here? Jorek seemed to immediately know what the man wanted as he invited both Ylva and Fionn to join him on deck. Ylva glanced over at Mr Roach,

“I’ll be right there...I just need-”

"Jameson here should be able to manage whilst we're gone,"
Doctor Jorek under estimated how stubborn this woman was.  
"But I hope this doesn't last long.  If there's one thing I can't stand, it's to see a man inflict injury upon another. Still, I suppose that's why I'm not a captain,"
Ylva gazed at him and slowly nodded, realizing what was going to happen upstairs. Obviously one of the prisoners had overstepped the mark. She had seen whippings before; she never wanted to watch that kind of entertainment again. Her feet slowly followed her companions up the stairs. Her eyes caught a glance of Mr Roach, his eyes like glassy saucers as he stared at them, watching them as they left him to his own confused thoughts.

Her steps faltered and came to a halt. Her mind changed. Her toes quietly tiptoed their way back down the steps. Her head bent, avoiding Jameson's gaze, no doubt he was probably frowning at her, confused as to why she stayed after the others had left.

“Lady Shiana….”
Ylva started, not really sure how best to find out what she wanted to know.
“I wondered…has anything…you remember….bad events happening? Storms? Fights or kidnappings? What happened before the Cap… the Santhran said that you had to stay down here?”

Ylva’s hopeful eyes scanned Mr Roach’s, looking for some sort of sign. Her eyes searched for a flicker of recognition, a sign of change, but deep down she knew none would appear. The queer character just looked a little startled.

“Kidnappings? Gods, no, nothing that thrilling has ever happened in my life! I wish it would, indeed I do! I thought seafaring would be exciting, but it turns out not to be the case. I have no idea why the Santhran has placed me down in this retched place!”
A sullen expression crossed the face of the man, his lips pouting slightly. “It smells so foul, the sea air must be so refreshing, good for one as nervous as I, but sadly I am not allowed to go upstairs. Though I suppose…” He paused for moment, apparently a new thought had come to him. He leaned in closer to Ylva, and whispered, “These sailors are not gentile folk like you or I, brigands and scoundrels the lot! I suppose I’m kept downstairs so that I am protected from them. Chastity is a virtue that cannot be undone, one must make sure not to damage one’s reputation by mingling with such company. Men’s intentions are not always honest my dear! Remember that!”

Ylva did well to hide her real thoughts. She smiled and nodded, her mind wished for a scrubbing brush, so that it could remove various embarrassing thoughts from her head.

Her ears caught a loud woman’s cry coming from up on the deck. The healer took the opportunity to get away, muttering “Erm, well, yes, indeed, erm, oh look, needed….upstairs….” , then practically sprinting up the stairs, away from anymore little girly chats between herself and the delusional old codger, deciding that perhaps it was best to give up for now.

The rapid moving figures, the heat and brightness of the sun, the fresh salty air, the noise and voices of the crew, all this hit her and accosted her senses as she reached the top deck, making her slightly dizzy from the intake of it all at once. Her brain buzzed, making order of the information.

Fionn tending to Koka, Royce nearby, prisoners unchained, one whipped, one free, Rhia on the floor with…whip lashes? So she was the one who cried out, but why?
Ylva frowned. She stormed across the deck, heading towards Rhia. By Mari, what is going on…

Thud. Something collided into her shoulder. Wuh?-   Ylva steadied herself and turned to face the collider. It was one of the prisoners that had been ‘clapped-in-irons’, the shorter one, not the taller blond one.

Ylva just stared as they garbled at her in some strange Tharian dialect or other. They seemed slightly nervous, as if offending anyone would cause them to be thrown off the boat. Perhaps they thought this was the case.

”I-be-sorry!-Oh,-I-be-making-nothing-but-trouble-ever-since-I-set-foot-on-this-here-wretched-ship.-Prithee-be-forgiving-a-fool!”

Ylva waited for him to stop. Frankly he’d spoken too fast for her to understand any of it. Her Tharian was getting better but it still wasn’t that good. He seemed a bit uneasy at the moment, probably due to being 'clapped-in-irons' all that time… From what she could deduce he was in his early to mid twenties. He showed no upper body strength, thus he wasn’t a labourer, so a scholar perhaps? Yet how does a scholar find their way onto a boat… She fished his name from her memory.

"Erm, Fu Luft is it?"
The collision had caught her off guard, giving her no time to concentrate on her social skills. Her head was full of questions, but only one seemed to pop out,

“What does Preefee mean?”
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 02:42:45 PM by Ylva Rasmussan » Logged
Fu Luft
Befuddled Spellblower
Mini-mod

« Reply #169 on: June 27, 2009, 06:16:13 AM »

The woman was small, barely taller than Fu, and rather lean. Her long arms dangled down the sides of her body like the air-roots of a strange tree Fu had once seen. Despite her delicate frame, she didn’t seem perturbed by having been bumped into. Her hazel eyes scrutinized Fu. They shone brightly out of her pale, gaunt face.

Fu had noticed that intelligent, calmly inquiring gaze earlier. This was the woman who had been in the company of the doctor and the imp during Fu’s arrest on deck. There was the axe, which had convinced him that she couldn’t be a mage; it was still hanging from her belt. Its blade was decorated with symbols or letters of a language that Fu had never encountered.

The woman remembered Fu, too:

”Erm, Fu Luft is it?” she said. Her accent was unfamiliar to Fu.

”That I be. I be thankful for the asking, I …”, he began. The woman, however, had followed her own train of thought and said:

”What does Preefee mean?”

Fu was confused. What a peculiar question to ask a perfect stranger! Well, during his sojourn on this ship of fools and ruffians, Fu had got used to being asked peculiar questions. Like all the others before, he would answer this one as well as he could.

”Privy? Why, mistress, that be a polite sort of word for an outhouse. Know ye? A bog.”

Fu observed the woman’s face. No comprehension lit up her eyes.

"A thunderbox?", he tried. He wondered how much Tharian she understood.

Fu was embarrassed. It seemed that he didn’t even know how to speak high-class Tharian properly anymore – the tongue that he, the former student in the Tower of the Skies,  sometimes thought of as snooty Ximaxian. Since he had arrived on this ship, and had been deprived of his freedom, his hat, his pipe, and most of the modest serenity he was, on a good day, able to attain, he had mostly spoken in his peasant tongue. To talk as his parents had taught him was the only thing he had left that gave him a feeling as if he was at home. And even if that feeling lasted only a blink each time, it was still good to feel it, among the uncertainty and the dangers that, for the time being, he had hope of escaping from.

Fu risked a quick glance over his shoulder, back at the whipmaster. The tall man still stood motionless, and didn't pay any attention to the little stowaway he had just shoved across the deck. But at least he wasn't using that whip of his, either! Fu bit his lip, wondering what to do, but decided that he'd probably make things worse if he tried anything. He turned toward the woman again, and said:

”Tell me, I prithee,”

Fu said with slow emphasis and smiled at the woman, hoping to establish a friendly understanding. He still didn't notice his misunderstanding.

”What be the name? I be meaning, thy name - your name?”

As Fu talked, his eyes were drawn to the axe and its ornaments once again. In his time at Ximax, Fu had seen parchments written in many languages, including some that nobody spoke anymore. Not that he could read any of those ancient scripts; but at least he was able to recognize a few of them. He was certain that he had never encountered anything like the symbols on that axe-blade. Maybe this woman was a mage, after all, albeit not a Ximaxian one?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 12:13:54 AM by Fu Luft » Logged

Rhia
Songbird of the Sea
Approved Character

Human, Blaar'kr

« Reply #170 on: June 29, 2009, 04:11:38 AM »

"Doctor! Lieutenant! Would you come and have a look at this?"

Jorek went to the rail by Fjorwek at the call, a hint of unease in the captain's voice. Rhia, perched on an upended barrel, looked down at her forearm. A few white tails swirled on the skin, a creamy color cruelly gashed with several lines of pitiless red. Thinking of nothing in particular, she absentmindedly rubbed in the rest of the balm. Her thoughts were wispy and full of eddies, one notion looping translucently through her mind, only to fade or be intertwined with another to circle faintly round in the gently churning pool of contemplations. Snatches of the three's conversation at the rail floated down to her, fittingly frail and flimsy to match her thoughts. "...Just look at the tail!" "...Sly serpent? ...you mean?" "...Snake and a monkey... See one!" The lieutenant's barking voice cut through the smoother ones of the captain and the doctor's. "...Don't like the look of it... Strangler!" Inattentively, Rhia shot a vaguely mystified glance at the three, shaking her head. Strange.

Rhia stood, readjusting the skirt of her brown traveling dress -made of serge, it wasn't exactly top notch quality, but it served her purposes well enough- and wandered over to the ship rail opposite the three gathered across from her. The sun beat down on the ship, and it was getting hotter. Surreptitiously she whisked air into her face with one slender ivory hand, the delicate digits snapping rhythmically. The girl fervently wished for her sun hat, made of straw but still stylish, or perhaps her light bonnet. Oooh, she hoped that she wasn't sweating too much. Made you reek, in addition to making your face all salty wet. Baveras! it was hot. Rhia's grey-eyed gaze drifted down to the water, gently tossing and rolling. Mmm, it looked cool and inviting. Perhaps the captain would, sometime, allow the passengers to take a dip in the sea. Even a minute or two would feel wonderful. Or maybe if they came upon a beach or something...

She turned around and surveyed the scene on deck. The captain, lieutenant, and doctor in a conspiratorial huddle, Ylva talking to the Luft prisoner, Sir Despana and the older elf-like man fencing... And of course the tall young prisoner, still strapped to the whipping post. Rhia's errant thoughts turned to him in unison. He was alone, still bearing the single mark of the whip. Apparently Fjorwek had been too preoccupied after she took the second lash to order the continuation of the flogging. She anxiously crossed the deck to him, fretfully twisting her hands. "Sir, be thou well?" Her agitated nerves commanded her to not wait for his answer, but continue talking in a rush of heavily accented words, for her R'unorian brogue, usually light, was returning at full force in response to her state of jumpy tension. "I pray ye, sirrah, what be thy name? I 'ope ye be feelin' a'right after th' lashin'. 'T 'urt meself bad enough, but I c'nnot imagine what 't felt like t' ye, bearin' th' full brunt a th' whip. Oh, be ye a'right? C'n I de anything fehr ye?..." Her words trailed off as Rhia sheepishly realized how fast and thickly she was speaking. She brought her eyes down and slowly attempted to pry her hands apart, painfully alert under the smiling blue-eyed gaze of the prisoner.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 12:03:56 PM by Rhia » Logged

Koka Bentarm
Bearded Lady
Approved Character

Dwarf, Mitharim

« Reply #171 on: June 29, 2009, 04:47:07 AM »

The next thing that became real again in her world was the voice. It told her to breathe. In and out. In and out. As the voice talked on, Koka came slowly to herself, kneeling on the deck rather than falling up. One hand was gripping the railing of the ship; she forced herself to unfurl her fingers. As she did so, she realised that it was her bad right arm, and that it had been outstretched rather more than it should have. Damn these panic attacks. With something of a snarl on her face, she brought her arm close to her side, then drew it in and out a few times, though never farther than she knew was good for it. With her left hand, she held the wrist of the right, guiding it to do what she wanted it to do. It was with some satisfaction that she noticed that the pain went away fairly quickly

Only then did she notice that someone was sitting next to her... The mullog girl, Fionn. So she must have been the hand, and the voice. Koka had no idea how long she had been lost in her panic attack, or how long she had needed to come back to herself. All she knew was that this tiny girl, even smaller and a lot thinner than the dwarfess herself, had come to her aid and had sat with her and talked her through it. She looked at the mullog, and a warmth that was not quite a smile, but was very close to it spread in her brown eyes and over her dwarven features. I... ah... Thank you.

Standing up, Koka was careful to look at anything but the sky. She'd had no idea how much more intense the sky was in the open sea. For a moment she could not think about it anyway, as a wave of dizziness overcame her. This was a normal dizziness however, one that was induced by getting up too quickly after sitting for some time, and she welcomed it whole-heartedly, even as she grabbed the railing to keep herself from tumbling back down. When it passed, Koka bent to retrieve her fallen bow and glanced at Fionn again.

I would like to ask you some questions, but... I need to go inside, if you don't mind. Would you join me? With these words, Koka turned to go inside the ship, where she would not be confronted with the sky everywhere she looked. She rubbed over her chest, her lungs still hurting from the lack of air, though they were slowly getting back to normal. She was grateful to Fionn for bringing her back so quickly, relative to some of the attacks she'd had other times (especially in her first few months outside the caves).

Ylva Rasmussan
Oddball Healer
New Santharian

Human, Murmillion.

« Reply #172 on: June 29, 2009, 11:27:51 AM »

Ylva didn't get the clarifying answer that she'd been hoping for.

”Privy? Why, mistress, that be a polite sort of word for an outhouse. Know ye? A bog.”

The woman listened, pretending to understand what he was saying, Bog!? What is bog?...hmm…swamp! It’s a swamp! So preefee means swamp…

"A thunderbox?"  He suggested helpfully, trying to explain more. Ylva’s head nodded, her calm blank expression hopefully suggesting that she knew what he was going on about.

”Tell me, I prithee-” Wait a second…’I swamp’, is that a proper sentence? Is that slang for something….does he smell of swamp? Why he is telling me he smells….no I must be wrong, damn this barbarian language… Her face showed none of her inner confusion, though it was now slightly flushed from embarrassment at her lack of language skills.

The soft friendly smile that accompanied his bewildering talk helped to reassure her. ”What be the name? I be meaning, thy name - your name?”

Ylva noticed as he glanced down at the blade-axe attached to her belt. Perhaps he was a scholar and knew of glyphs?

“My name is Ylva, Ylva Rasmussan….” 
Her bony hand shot out, offering to shake his own. “May I ask, are you a scholar? You don’t look like a warrior, I mean er,-”
Ylva realized her own bluntness, “I mean you look more bookish….” 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 03:25:12 PM by Ylva Rasmussan » Logged
fionn
Prosaic Waif
Approved Character

Mullog

« Reply #173 on: June 29, 2009, 06:38:46 PM »

Koka seemed to be getting past her sudden terror, and Fionn settled back, sitting quietly on the deck to watch the dwarf’s recovery intently. He was moving his arm strangely – cramp? No, looks stiffer, a more practised movement… either way, that means he’s thinking about other things now. He’ll be fine.

“I... ah... Thank you.”

Fionn smiled, sharp teeth glittering briefly in the bright sunlight, and shrugged good-naturedly. As the dwarf got up, she noticed how he resolutely kept his gaze low. She looked up, searching for the source of this dangerous fear. There was nothing up there, just a big, empty blue sky. Not even a seagull, so it wasn’t a bird thing. Watching the movements of the dwarf, she got to her own feet. Koka didn’t look old, and he didn’t move old neither, but now she could see where she’d gotten the impression from – there were aspects of him, this strong, robust-looking dwarf, which seemed uncertain and fragile and a long way from home. fionn wondered if she ever looked like that.

“I would like to ask you some questions, but... I need to go inside, if you don't mind. Would you join me?”

Fionn glanced hesitantly around the boat. The captain, doctor and lieutenant had wandered off to look at something in the water, presumably leaving Ylva to look after the two with lash-wounds. Rhia seemed to be trying to help not-very smiley-right-now, and nobody looked on the point of collapse. She nodded to herself and hurried after Koka.

"If it's teeth are longer than your fingers, for the Ancestors' sake, assume it doesn't want it's belly tickled..."
Fionn's CD
Fu Luft
Befuddled Spellblower
Mini-mod

« Reply #174 on: June 30, 2009, 04:52:48 AM »

Fu took the hand of this Ylva Rassmussan and shook it, maybe a bit too eagerly. After all the rough handling he had suffered ever since his arrival in Ciosa last night, it was comforting to be facing a person with good manners at last – or rather, Fu corrected himself, to be facing a person with manners he  could understand. Also, to his relief, it turned out that this polite stranger did speak quite a bit of Tharian, after all!

“May I ask, are you a scholar? You don’t look like a warrior, I mean er – I mean you look more bookish….”

”By Grothar, I tell ye, Ylva Rassmussan. There be more books have wearied these eyes of mine than there be taenish in Manthria. And what a fat lot of good all that reading be to me on this here ship! If a warrior I was, I would have never ended up here and never got into this whole blackhog sty of a mess. Master Mallorix here…” – Fu pointed backwards over his shoulder at his former fellow prisoner – ”be whipped all bloody and I be too blame. And that brave young lady!”

A melancholic fold appeared above Fu’s eyebrows.

”I only be hoping we be getting to a harbour soon. Do ye know, Ylva Rassmussan, when this shall be? Tonight, mayhap?”

Fu’s eyes widened with hope and expectation while he looked at his new acquaintance. As an afterthought, he added:

”Where are ye bound, anyways, if I not be rude for the asking?”

Hylphán
Venturer
Approved Character

Half-Elf, Avennorian/ Arthyron

Homepage
« Reply #175 on: July 24, 2009, 04:51:58 PM »

During the quick attacks, Hylphán studied his opponents movements, looking for telltale signs and indicators that would precede the man's attacks.  Hylphán easily blocked the first few blows, knowing that Malavon was studying him as well.  He also knew that the attacks would become increasingly sophisticated and forceful as time went on.  He had been in many such practices with men younger than himself, and unless they were incredibly patient and secure in their abilities, they usually let anger get the best of them.  This young man appeared to have some patience, but Hylphán wondered how long it would last.  The next exchange of blows should give him the indicators he was looking for about the man's temperament.
     Hylphán responded to his taunt of "old man" with a slight smile and a light chuckle.  We shall see who the old man is here, Hylphán returned.  Let us find who can outlast the other.
     Hylphán raised his free hand in front of him, palm up, and beckoned Malavon towards him with a slight curling gesture of his fingers.

Fair winds and following seas till our paths cross again.

Hylphán's CD
Yurie Yileen
Walker of Dreams
Story Mod

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #176 on: August 21, 2009, 09:59:46 PM »

Malavon watched Hylphan’s response to his taunt, and saw the old man’s plan.  Obviously, he meant to wear him down by staying on the defensive, waiting for the younger man to exhaust himself, and then take advantage of it.  Somewhere in the distance, the ship’s bell began to ring  “Time to finish this,” Malavon thought to himself, deciding that a sudden and brutal attack should do the job.

Launching forwards, the wizard’s bane began a blistering offensive; relentlessly slashing at Hylphan; changing the angles of attack constantly, and pushing forwards in a fury.  If this didn't completely overwhelm his opponent, then maybe nothing would!

Hylphán
Venturer
Approved Character

Half-Elf, Avennorian/ Arthyron

Homepage
« Reply #177 on: August 26, 2009, 04:36:50 PM »

Malavon's response was as Hylphán had expected. 
     It took Hylphán's full attention to ward off the onslaught of blows that Malavon threw at him, but it afforded him a good chance to see a small hesitation as the man changed from attacks on the right side, to his overhead blows. 
     Hylphán watched closely, and the next time Malavon went through the change of attack angle, he deftly slid his blade down his opponents' and through the handguard.  With a quick twist, the man's sword flew from his grasp, and stuck with a loud thud in the nearby railing. 
     "I am indeed impressed Master Malavon" Hylphán said, bowing slightly in his opponent's direction.  "I have met your level of skill only three times in my lifetime.  You have excellent balance and control of the blade." 
     He stepped forward offering his hand in congratulations to Malavon.  Perhaps we could learn a little from each other, as you used several combinations I have never encountered before, and scarcely repelled." Hylphán watched the man's face to gauge his reaction to his offered hand.

Fair winds and following seas till our paths cross again.

Hylphán's CD
Yurie Yileen
Walker of Dreams
Story Mod

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #178 on: September 04, 2009, 06:37:54 AM »

Malavon reached out and shook the proffered hand; he didn't like the taste of defeat, but he had to admit that Hylphan had bested him.

"We should have a rematch," he said, his voice devoid of emotion, "on dry land; I'm sure things will be very different."  A cold smile played across his lips.  "But I believe we've been left behind.  It seems as though eating is more important than training on board this ship.  Maybe we should join them?"

Malavon bowed slightly to Hylphan, gave his practice sword to the marine who had been judging the contest, and then turned away sharply, heading towards the captain's quarters.

The sound of music and revelry was coming from behind the closed door, which made Malavon sneer to himself.  "What kind of fools eat and make merry when they're on their way to the grave?" he thought to himself as he entered the chamber.  "I only hope they aren't foolish enough to ask me to sing!"

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]