Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Kann Day I  (Read 20106 times)
Deklitch Hardin
Truth Seeker
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2009, 09:28:09 PM »

"Aye lad, I think they won't mind. Most welcome the joining of voices in a tavern."

Dek grinned at Thorin's words, and was about to reply when he noticed that the dwarf's eyes went to a newcomer who had just entered the tavern. He averted his eyes quickly, but he was certain that it was an elf ... though not any type of elf he had seen before.

The elf spoke ... it was a language that Dek didn't recognise, but from what Dek knew from what he was told by Milon it was more than likely the dwarvish tongue. He didn't have to understand the language to know that the elf wasn't greeting Thorin.

Then, Dek's eyes fell on another newcomer to the tavern. An old woman made her way into the room. His eyes met hers as she looked at him. He watched as she continued to watch him as she tried to sit in a chair. A cry caught in his throat as he could see that she was going to miss the chair and fall to the ground. His leg muscles froze in the moment as it seemed to him that she fell to the ground in slow motion. He willed his legs to obey him, but even though, he could see it would be too late. With an audible gasp, she hit the ground, and Dek seemed to be able to suddenly move freely again.

He was at her side shortly after that, and heard her speak, “Where is that darned cane of mine?”

Dek saw the cane, it had tumbled from her grasp as she hit the ground, as he retrieved it for her, he turned to see her rubbing at her eyes, and pull herself into a sitting position. She reminded him of his teachers amongst the Rovers and he handed her the staff.

"My name is Dek," he said, "can I help you to a seat? Can I get you a drink?"

All thoughts of singing that song left Dek's mind as he wanted to make sure that this old lady was alright. He supposed his training as a Rover kicked into gear.

Seeking the truth, whatever the cost! - Deklitch Hardin, Elf Friend
Hragnúr Pakthroon
Masked Brewmistress
Approved Character

Dwarf, Kavogerim

« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2009, 11:09:02 PM »

“Course, we won’t play without your blessing ma’am...What do you say?”

Hragnúr was momentarily lost in thought, not the active kind of thought that is normal for the everyday, but the kind of stuck train of thinking that causes one to stare absently into space for some minutes. And also to completely forget what one was thinking about when you are startled back into reality. Which was why Hragnúr stared uncomprehendingly at the two hobbits in front of her for a moment, before suddenly realizing their purpose and answering heartily, "Why o' course ya can play for us, lads, this tavern is always a welcome place ta be making a merry tune. Why, ya should hear when the dwarves from the city come in from their work ta get a drink o' ale, there's always some great ol' drinking songs being 'performed'."

Hearing Morden calling her to the bar, and as she drew him a drink she mentioned to him that he might aid in the musical festivities that were brewing. "Yer baroomith would be a find addition to the fun, my friend, ya should get over there and display yer talents. I forget the song they was of a mind ta play, but ye should be able to pick it up in a blink of yer eye anyway." Before she could get Morden's response, she heard a cry of surprise and bewilderment from Pragnék, the tavern's gambler. She lumbered over to the table where sat and took up the chair she had occupied when she was here earlier. Pragnék's eyes were opened wide with a slightly greedier look than usual, as he pointed at a small vial sitting on the table. Hragnúr stared at the container with confusion over the reason for the gambler's reaction, when Pragnék began to speak hurriedly.

"Rock acid, ya say?" The greedy dwarf began. "Well, that sounds ta be mighty valuable, yes, by Trum-Barol." He muttered under his breath for a minute, then looking up he spoke again with an even harder glint of greed in his eyes, "I'd bet, hmm, one copperbard on that vial there. Sound fair, lad? Oh, but before we play for it, I'd like ta know if I could get a little display of good faith from ya, maybe show me this liquid's powers in action, ya know? Just to be sure we both being honest with each other, lad."

Hragnúr doubted that the old gambler really had a copperbard on him right now, but she first was interested to see if this newcomer would really demonstrate the abilities of his strange liquid, whatever they were. Her curiousity piqued, Hragnúr remained silent as both dwarves awaited the young man's answer.

If only a drink could truly wash away pasts and wipe away fears; maybe then life would be happy.

-Hragnúr Pakerim-Theroon
Morden Peshirgolz
The Mystic Voice
Story Mod

Dwarf, Susilgerim Clan

« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2009, 11:51:03 PM »

Morden accepted the mug of ale from Hragnúr gratefully, taking a long drink before placing three sans payment on the bartop. Before leaving, Hragnúr mentioned to Morden that some of the inn's patrons were planning on starting up a song. "Yer baroomith would be a find addition to the fun, my friend, ya should get over there and display yer talents." Morden turned to see the two hobbits she was talking about. They had their instruments out, a lute and a mandolin, and looked like their were about ready to begin. Morden had no idea what song it was that they were playing, but supposing that he could pick it up easily enough he walked over to the table where the musicians sat, his mug in his hand.

Morden was not one who often played for strangers, but Hragnúr had asked him to come over here, so he would be a little more adventurous than usual. Besides, these halflings looked like good company, and a song felt very appealing right now. Morden wondered how many of the tavern's guests would join in before the song was through. This would be the first tavern song he had heard since coming back from his trip, and it was an event he had been looking forward to. It was a little strange that this was being started up by a couple of outsiders, though. He was more used to the dwarves beginning such festivities in the evenings as they prepared for their work. But perhaps hobbits liked morning music, and this was too good an opportunity to pass up anyway.

Sitting down, Morden spoke to the two halflings, "I be of the mind ta play along with ya, lads," he began as he pulled his own instrument out of his cloak, "Just begin as ya like, and I'll pick up the song as ya go. The tavern'll be a singing all together before ya knows it."

Galkhirril

Hearing the elven lady's consent, Galkhirril reached out his hand and scratched the dog called Sage behind its ears. "There now, friend, we don't need ta be so excited at this time o' morn'. What was it that got yer head in such a spin, now? Musta been the smell o' that pig from the stable, ol' Buri, eh? Well now," his voice took on a mock seriousness as he wagged his finger in front of the dog's face, "there'll be no chasing of pigs here now, ya understand?" Galkhirril looked up at the sandy-haired elf, grinning merrily, until a wince of pain crossed his face as his hand involuntarily came to his left arm, the one that had broken his fall. "Well, I might just be taking ya up on yer offer, lass. If ya got any healing knowledge, I'll be thankful if ya'd take just a minute ta inspect this arm here. Looks to be just a bruise, but it's a little painful at the moment."

Sitting down, he heard a thump from nearby, at one of the tables. An elderly lady had fallen down, and was being aided by the young Rover. Galkhirril shook his head, and faining annoyance he called over to Hragnúr, "Yer gonna 'ave to fix up these chairs so us elders don't be a falling left and right now, lass." But then he quickly added, this time with sincere concern but not talking to anyone in particular, "I hope she's alright, the lady. I know that humans of any age ain't as hardy as the dwarves, and I don't a want ta be seeing any injuries occuring here today."

Turning once again to the two ladies that were nearby him, "Why don't ya both have a seat, and we can sit and talk while I get this arm taken care. I don't believe I know either of yer names, though ya was both very kind ta be taken heed of this ol' dwarf. And you, lass," he turned his attention to the human woman nearby, "I haven't had the pleasure of greeting this morn', but you were straight over here helping me anyway. Tell me a bit about yerself, would ya?" As he spoke, a dish of taenish was brought over for the human woman, and the cook who had brought it out asked her if she wanted anything to drink with it.

Airyn
The Worrywort
New Santharian

Elf, Kay'rrhem

« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2009, 08:23:54 PM »

A muffled thump across the room caught the elfess’s attention. Her eyes wandered over to an old woman draped in a colourful shawl, who sat on the floor with her legs sprawled out in front of her. “I think she’ll be alright,” Airyn observed with a vacant tone. “That there Rover seems to have things under control.”

Airyn set the dog down on the floor, and made sure that his leash was secured around both his collar and the leg of the nearest chair before she She turned back to the elder and shifted her weight before finding a suitable place on the hard floor to kneel. She gestured to the old dwarf’s sleeve, and motioned that she was going to move it up his arm. With careful, unmoving fingers, she pushed up the sleeve with her right hand and ran the forefinger of her left across the dwarf’s smooth, slightly wrinkled skin. There was a blue tinge to a small section of his upper arm, which brought a light smile to Airyn’s lips. She rolled his sleeve back down and patted his shoulder, getting to her feet. “It’s just a bruise,” she smiled, “It will be tender for a short time, but I think you’ll be right as rain.”

Wiping her palms on her sides, she joined the human woman at the table. The cook had laid both Airyn’s and this mystery woman’s meals on the table, and she had been hungrily gazing at the food every now and then after it came out from the kitchen. The elder had asked for the woman to share her history, so Airyn sat back into her chair and took a rather unladylike bite out of her sandwich.

Jenna Silverbirch
Wandering Storyteller
Approved Character

Hafling, Dogodan

« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2009, 03:02:05 AM »

"I be of the mind ta play along with ya, lads, Just begin as ya like, and I'll pick up the song as ya go. The tavern'll be a singing all together before ya knows it."
Jenna glanced at Pline, grinning.
“ I certainly hope they'll start singing, or our poor voices'll be lost in this hubub! We spotted you playing, sir-beautiful, and moving too-, and hoped you’d join us. Well! This just saves us the bother of asking, don’t it?”Her lute as in tune as in tune as she could hope to get, she seated herself and positioned the battered instrument on her knee.
“This lute being only suited to simpler tunes, I’m playing melody, and Pline there’s taking harmony. You play as you like, once you’ve a hold of the tune. Ah, and before we begin-” she said, reaching across the table to her mug of ale. Giving it a sniff, she turned to Pline, who she’d seen eyeing the drink with something like disbelief “Watered down enough for me, though I daresay I’ll still have a few more hairs on m’chest than I’d have liked if a drank too much.” she  chuckled, and raised the mug “Here’s to a song to rouse the rafters and stir the hearts! Or at least earn a few sans” she said, and took a too-quick swig. Shaking her head and blinking hard as the strong, burning liquid coursed down her throat she yelled to the brew mistress now sat with the gamblers “Finest ale I’ve had in a fair long while, ma’am! If this don’t give my singing a kick it’s a sorry old world.” her voice still raised, she added “Those who fancy it are welcome to sing along!”
“On my count then, fellows? A-one, two three and four…”

Jenna stretched her fingers and begin to strum a simple tune. The notes were rough and sometimes off-key, but she played with enthusiasm. Besides, her voice had a pleasant, warm edge that was more than enough to distract from her unpolished playing.

The world’s so full of wonder, it’d be a shameful waste to live without seeing as much of it as you could’ve.
Jenna Silverbirch -  Burrow by the Sea - Jenna's hobbit hole
Jenna's Creations
Pline
Wordsmith
Approved Character

« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2009, 04:10:04 AM »

"One, two, three, four"
As Jenna started playing her lute, Pline began playing a lower harmony to the song, black fingernails plucking out the music expertly. Pline had no excuse not to play well, he'd had enough years of playing to rival quite a few people. They had a strange counterpoint to Jenna's sometimes off-key melody.

Foraste Lydan
Traveling Compendiumist
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2009, 06:01:21 AM »

Foraste watched the dwarfs face break into a greedy smile. "Rock acid, ya say?" The dwarf asked,  "Well, that sounds ta be mighty valuable, yes, by Trum-Barol." The dwarf was drunk with greed, all the better to play against.

After the dwarf was finished muttering to himself he placed his wager "I'd bet, hmm, one copperbard on that vial there. Sound fair, lad? Oh, but before we play for it, I'd like ta know if I could get a little display of good faith from ya, maybe show me this liquid's powers in action, ya know? Just to be sure we both being honest with each other, lad." The dwarf has a point, I could just get more if any was lost, thought Foraste.

"A copperbard is enough, I'll put on a little demonstration if you need to see one." Foraste replied. He opened a few of his pockets and removed some glass tipped prongs and a thumb sized rock . He turned the rock around to reveal the glint of diamond inside the rock. He uncorked the vial and dropped the rock into the liquid. The liquid fizzed and the rock disappeared in the foam. Foraste waited until the foam died down and used the tongs to remove the rock from the foam. The rock outside of the gem had been completely burned away and now a brilliant diamond was revealed. Showing off the gem Foraste asked, "How much gem do you think is wasted by cutting off the rock? Quite a bit I would imagine."  Foraste waited to see how the gambler would reply.

If you won't take my money, how about a write up?

Foraste Lydan
Laonna
The Wanderer
Approved Character

Human, Zhunite

« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2009, 02:31:44 AM »

Laonna walked through the doorway and greeted the smell that rose to meet her. The smell of beer, food, and sweat mixed with the thick smokey smell from the fire place. Glancing around surreptitiously, she eyed up the prospective 'clients' as well as the details of the tavern.

But not yet, she told herself, better to wait for more drink to have flown. Walking sedately, she made her way up to the bar. While waiting politely to catch the attention of someone to order, a momentary scowl flitted across her features as she remembered how she had come to be here. The rush to get away from one particular unsuspecting donator of money and his cronies, who were, understandably, more than a little upset, and the subsequent time spent camping and living off the land.

An outright smile broke out on her face as she thought of the chance to eat real food, and drink a proper drink. She glanced to her sides, and just about avoided doing a double-take. There's some strong looking people in here.....this may be harder then I thought! She mentally relayed the layout of the tavern in her head and sighed at the lack of escape routes. Oh well, maybe somebody will have some information on Ainian for me. Clearing her head of the distracting thought of her lost friend, she turned her attention back to the bar, the smell of food and drink already claiming their victory on her.

Our remedies oft in do ourselves lie...
William Shakespeare

Laonna
Fidget
Acquirer of Fine Curios
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2009, 07:07:33 AM »

Kainin enters through the front door looking much the worse for wear. His dark red hair hangs around his head in limp tendrils, framing dark circled eyes that scan the common room. Ahh, civilization at last. Another day on the road woulda killed me I'm sure. Spying a young woman seated at the bar alone he attempts to brush the dust from the road off, realizing the futility of the gesture he settles for throwing back the hood of his cloak and standing up a bit straighter. As he heads in her direction he notes the scowl that passes briefly across her face and the subsequent smile that replaces it. Hmm interesting mix seems to be relief I see here. He thinks to himself. When he reaches the bar next to her he lays ten sans on the table and raises his hand in attempt to attract the barkeep. Turning to his right he regards her a moment before speaking.

“Hiya, what brings a girl like you to a rough place like this?” He glances around at the serene faces surrounding him, and the musicians in the corner. “Errr well anyway, names Fidget. Just arrived by way of Ximax, well sorta.”

He turns his head back towards the musicians and concentrates on the tune as he waits for an answer he’s not sure he will receive.

The I is lost in me, But I am ready to give you The M. It might even be the E.
As I begin to search for I, The I is lost in me."
               Anders Friden, In Flames

Fidget's CD
Laonna
The Wanderer
Approved Character

Human, Zhunite

« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2009, 07:41:22 AM »

“Hiya, what brings a girl like you to a rough place like this?”

Laonna tensed slightly as she realized she was being addressed.

“Errr well anyway, names Fidget. Just arrived by way of Ximax, well sorta.”

As she turned to face the young man, she pushed a strand of hair behind her ear. She regarded him for a moment, I wonder..... Making up her mind, she smiled at him. "I suppose you could call it a forced change of scenery" , she discretely studied his face for any trace telltale signs, sensing no immediate threat, she continued.

"The names Laonna". While waiting to see what this strangely compelling man wanted, she had to push the strand of hair back behind her ear again as it had fallen back in front of her face. Tilting her head slightly, in the unconscious hope that the bothersome strand would stay where she wanted it, she quickly studied him further. Hmm, probably not an assassin.... or a mercenary, looks like he's had a rough time of it though. Hoping he didn't sense her studying of him, she brought her attention back to the matter at hand.

William Shakespeare

Laonna
Morden Peshirgolz
The Mystic Voice
Story Mod

Dwarf, Susilgerim Clan

« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2009, 09:03:33 AM »

Morden tapped his foot in time to the music for a moment as they started to sing the first line. The music was simple enough, and the counterpoint between the two instrumentalists was lovely. Wishing more to listen than to concentrate on his own playing, Morden picked up a single tone harmony, blowing soft tones from his baroomith to mesh with the melodious tune already coming together. As they played, Morden listened to the hobbit lad, or was it lass? That was a rather fair voice, but maybe a lad of good skill could pull it off. Anyway, the fine voice carried the words across the tavern, and Morden listened to them reflectively.

"There is a path that leads to a tavern,
where you get all the pleasures of life."

Hmm...You certainly might describe the Kann in such a way. Right at the entrance to a wonderful dwarven city, probably one of the greatest in Santharia, a meeting point where the skill and culture of the dwarves could be displayed to numerous peoples. Morden's life had not always held times of pleasure, but rather sadness, but here life had been pretty kind to him for a time. Must be Trum-Barol's favor upon this place...

"Where ale flows freely into mugs and goblets
and friendly words greet as you go by."

Freely-flowing ale! That was certainly an appropiate line for this tavern. Morden simply could not help but glance directly at Hragnúr when he heard that line. The brewmistress had also heard the words, and did not miss his glance. Morden could not stifle a chuckle at that moment, as he awkwardly squealed a note or two in his mirth. Regaining his composure, Morden continued playing as he awaited the rest of the melody...

Fidget
Acquirer of Fine Curios
Approved Character

Human, Erpheronian

« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2009, 09:47:12 AM »

...a forced change of scenery.” Well well. He thought.  Do I detect some similarities here? His thoughts turned to the circumstances that led to his own departure from Voldar, and the journey that brought him so far from home. He barely caught her name as his mind was forced back to the present.  

Ahh yes, I found it a good idea to ah, “change my scenery” m’self. He absently pulled the amulet from under his tunic with his left hand and began spinning it on its thong. Pretending to be focused on it, he watched from under hooded lashes as she studied him. Is that anxiety or just caution? He raised his head and regarded her once again.

“Seems a certain merchant in Ximax lost ‘is purse and I happened t’ be close by at the time. So of course they blamed the dirty fellow. He smiled, trying to appear nonchalant but the memory still irked him. I didn’t even make it into the city. It would have been a good place to recoup, maybe make a good profit as well.He set the amulet against his chest and leaned his back on the counter top looking out over the bar. “Can’t say‘s I mind though, cozy ‘ere it is.”

His attention is diverted as notices the bartender headed in what he hopes is his direction.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 10:15:06 AM by Fidget » Logged

The I is lost in me, But I am ready to give you The M. It might even be the E.
As I begin to search for I, The I is lost in me."
               Anders Friden, In Flames

Fidget's CD
Laonna
The Wanderer
Approved Character

Human, Zhunite

« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2009, 10:10:37 AM »

Laonna relaxed slightly as she heard the words "Ahh yes, I found it a good idea to ah, “change my scenery” m’self."

She had been right. Her instinct that they may be 'employed' in the same sort of way had been right. She listened to his short explanation of what happened and almost chuckled out loud, but she managed to keep her good humor in check. That sounds all to familiar.

However, the memories of Ainian and the sheer joy of a shared job tugged at her heartstrings. I miss you, and I'll find you, somehow, someday, I'll find you. Her train of thought derailed even more to the extent that she was imagining how funny it would have been if they'd attempted to steal from one another. Irritating, but funny.

She noticed the amulet that Fidget was playing with, Ah, another similarity..., her hand instinctively going towards hers, she caught the movement and just managed to turn it up towards her hair, and self consciously flattened it.

.....though, cozy ‘ere it is.” She half nodded in affirmation, then caught Fidget's shift in attention. She turned her head away to see what he's looking at.

William Shakespeare

Laonna
Salena smith
Enthusiastic Swordswoman
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2009, 03:26:27 PM »

"Why don't ya both have a seat, and we can sit and talk while I get this arm taken care. I don't believe I know either of yer names, though ya was both very kind ta be taken heed of this ol' dwarf. And you, lass,"as he turned his attention to Salena, "I haven't had the pleasure of greeting this morn', but you were straight over here helping me anyway. Tell me a bit about yerself, would ya?"

"Well, what would you like to know?   My parents were killed when I was younger and I have a little sister. We were raised by our grandfather after our parents died. I'm from just a small little village and I'm here looking for a special someone. So that's pretty much my story", chuckling to herself hoping she didn't sound like a babbling abyssal.  "I'm new to traveling by myself, I don't know how any of you do it, especially if your alone."

Not soon after the cook came out and handed Salena her plate of food. He asked her if she needed anything or if she wanted a drink. Salena replied with a, "Juice please." And the cook was off again.   Noticing the strange looking lady take a mighty big bite from her meal, Salena asked, "So what brings you to this amazing tavern, if you don't mind my asking?" Still waiting for the elderly gentlemen to respond.
  "My name is Salena Smith, very nice to meet you both," saying in an excited tone of voice.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 03:40:06 PM by Salena smith » Logged

I am and always will be me. I have my faults and mood swings so if you cant handle me at my worst then you dont deserve me at my best. :) Salena's CD
Callista
Bedazzled Old-Timer
Approved Character

Human, Hjoria

« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2009, 09:32:59 PM »

Everything had happened so quickly. One minute, Callista was on her feet and the next she was on the floor. It was as simple as that! What had caught her attention, she wondered. Her wide eyes flickered and blinked as they turned to the rover who was on his knees beside her. It was his red hair, she mused, that had caught her eye. "Thankyou, I don't know what I would have done if I had to get up all by myself. These old bones are getting a little rusty."

He had introduced himself as… what was his name? Dek? Interesting name, she thought. She accepted his offer to help herself into the chair which had escaped her earlier, and took her cane. He stole a glance at the group of musicians with a glimmer of longing in his eye. She leaned forward to reach him and patted his shoulder. “Don’t worry about me, Mr. Dek. I’ll be fit as a fiddle in no time. You go and join that musical group over there.”

With a warm smile she lightly pushed him in the direction of the little band, and merrily tapped her foot to the catchy rhythm and the sweet voice that poured through the air.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 09:41:52 PM by Callista » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]