Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ailín Ióéil Séafra Cýeáll- Rayne do you still wish to check?  (Read 7659 times)
Coren FrozenZephyr
New Santharian

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2004, 03:09:22 AM »

:: gently kicks it back up ::

Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels
Lady of the South
Mini-mod

Human, Shendar, Shen-D'auras

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2004, 05:43:22 PM »

Coren, you are not done. You need to make the lightelves a bit more unbelievable, and add at least one small paragraph about your parents.(the mods won't do an exception for you)
And then, restructure your CD a bit, use some colours, it is difficult to read.  

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

Lady of the South
Mini-mod

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2004, 06:25:22 PM »

OK, did it for you, hope you don't mind changing a bit around, didn't allter any of the content - didn't check it either, mods, just the light elves thing.

Name: Ailín Ióéil Séafra Cy'eáll, currently called Ailín

Race Human, strong elven influence

Tribe Helcrani of Kyranian line, though unknown to Ailín

Height: 1.79 peds

Weight: approximately 12 hebs

Title: Hárf'á'chón (He, who is touched by ourselves, the elves)

Appearance:

Ailín is quite tall for a human of his age, being slightly shorter 1.80 peds. Unlike some teenagers of his age, the age of adventure and fiery dreams, he does not have a warrior’s broad shoulders and muscled body - something he always wanted to avoid beeing subject to the mockery of human bullies. This does not mean however that he is extremely thin or at all girlish; Ailín merely seems to have the slender pose and the well-compacted muscle structure of a young male elf’s body. Add to this well-shaped hips, and long slender muscled legs, you should get a general impression of Ailín as if seeing his graceful and fluent movements from afar.

It is true that Ailín could possibly be viewed as one of Ava's Children dressed in mortal flesh (as the most splendid of elves are seen to those who have an eye for beauty) amongst his kin, and may be mistaken even by an elven ranger’s eyes for brethren from a distance, when he has his hood drawn, just judging by the silhouette of his figure, yet his most striking feature is the Avangelic countenance he wears. His emerald green, almond shaped eyes, glimmering with the innocent shimmer of purity, gives the impression of spring’s first rays shining on jade laurel leaves scattered around the shattered pieces of a dark emerald.

Ailín has rich golden-darkbrown wavy hair that barely touches the fair skin of his shoulders. The only eccentric aspect of his hair is a single lock of shimmering silver located somewhere on the left side of his forehead, which always seems to come out to the front glimmering when he tries to persuade someone. Aside from all this, Ailín has eyes “framed with strong brows and full pensive lips” that gives people the impression that he is oftentimes buried in thoughts. Also on the upper left corner of his forehead, he has a birth mark which appears to be a brown mole the size of half a nailsbreadth, but on closer examination one could also discern a smaller dot located on the upper right of the first circle.

Ailín’s clothing consists mainly of a green-silver dyed silken shirt with flowing sleeves and elegant cuts, worn on top of form-fitting, tight black pants. On the sheathing of the pants’ sleeves, there are intricate knot works made of stylized leaf art, which looks exceedingly real. Green vines sprout from these knot works, and go spinning up till his calves. Underneath these pants, Ailín wears quiet boots made of interwoven oak leaves with fresh adlemir twigs holding them together which are exceptionally soft and comfortable. Unlike the fragile appearance, these are quite lasting, due to the double layer of resin covering the bottom and inside of the boots. Ailín also has an armlet made out of intertwined Euwen leaves around each wrist. On top of his silk shirt, he wears an amulet with the coat of arms of the Astyrhim Elves engraved on it; the shining Tree of Life, the rune representing the High Goddess Ava the Beautiful, shaped like a closed eye with a tear, and finally the rune, the essence of Xeua carved on the roots. Whether the amulet was indeed made by the Astyrhim is highly debatable. Any capable craftsman interested in lore, or given precise enough instructions, should be able to produce an exact copy of his amulet. Whatever the talisman’s origins may be, Ailín prefers hide it under his shirt when he is not alone in the wilderness. Apparently he is not dressed for combat, but for the finer shares of one’s life.

Personality:

A single statement could roughly summarize Ailín’s persona: An utterly fascinating, charismatic character full of enigmas, mystical and touching contradictions. Due to his charming nature, referring both to his physical and emotional self, it is rather easy for Ailín to make friends or gather a crowd of admirers.

Although Ailín's attitude may make him seem awfully seductive, he does not fall in love repeatedly or without doubt with strangers (at least that is what he tells himself). One thing he particularly enjoys having around is a multitude of admirers, even though he does not directly answer their “love” (or call it affection if you like) back often. However this should not be misunderstood; he is always exceptionally kind towards them. While he is accused of being selfish by some, Ailín totally believes that he does everything in his power to help and care for others – whether it be a close friend or a total stranger.

Ailín was fairly hilarious when he – claims to have - had the Astyrhim elves as his friends and parents, but lately he finds it hard to make as many unfeigned or heartfelt jokes, especially among the people of his race, afraid of losing respect and esteem. Moreover, Ailín has been holding on his acting and imitating skills dreading to make gaffes and hence be mocked; keeping most thoughts and comments to himself, calculating his words before speaking them… He is, to sum up, getting increasingly introverted with the passing of each day outside the Thaelon Woods. Maybe it’s because of an unknown Event that took place at some unknown time in an unknown past. Maybe it’s because of the shock he lived through when he saw, for the first time after his awakening, that the rest of the world was not at all bathed in contentment and purity like the Covering Woods. Maybe it’s just adolescence… (Maybe he had always been the way he is now, in other words, perhaps it is his sudden loss of memory that makes him think he was different once.) But if truth be told, what Ailín really needs is friend, not a dedicate, he feels comfortable with, a friend to whom he can open his heart.

Judging from his character and use of the common tongue, one might think he would make excellent bargains and be a top-notch trader, however, just because his dislike for arguments (a trait he picked up from the elves) he usually accepts the prices the seller offers. This definitely does not mean he is oftentimes tricked or cheated. Ailín usually gets a discount merely for his charming self and innocent yet handsome face, and when he does not Ailín just put on the cutest smile he can manage, thanks the merchant, and walks away. No, he is not stupid, only a bit naïve.

Ailín wants not only to excel at everything he does (and cares about) but also craves to be the very best, even if this would mean working for endless hours to achieve his aims. Being awfully perfectionist can at times be a hindering trait for him, however mostly it just turns out for the best. Ailín is a very moral person, and values honor along with a dozen other virtues as much as he values his face, yet he is afraid that one day when he has to make that final decision between success and failure, he may abandon all merits to achieve his goals.

Despite having sharp ears tuned to harmony, Ailín cannot sing very well. A melodious voice is something he has always wanted; he can be very touch about the subject.

Being able to adopt a new, or slightly alter his, personality according to the group he is in comes in handy in most situations. Conversely, Ailín’s behavior can sometimes be considered fake or arrogant, which may cause some to dislike him at first glance.

Despite being extremely optimistic, merry, and active, Ailín can, unfortunately, get awfully serious and scornful when he sets his mind to it, or worse, when there is an issue that needs his utmost attention immediately. Thus, a big worrier is Ailín, oftentimes regarding work, studies, and everyday responsibilities people don’t seem to mind a lot. With this being said, one should have guessed that Ailín does not perform under stress well, unless it is serious, or even the better, a matter of life and death. Even though Ailín’s character is almost as delicate and unwavering as the elves’, due to the time he spent amid them, under pressure Ailín is known to be extraordinarily unpredictable, thus he can be expected to have drastic changes in his persona during this period.

His temper? A total inconsistency. Most think Ailín has an infinite source of patience, and he does –well, to most, at the very least. Since he has a very deep understanding of people who have lost a part of their family, oafs who make fun of others for their parentage and history horribly get on his nerves, thus making him very edgy and nasty towards them. Around these people his arrogant self comes out, and all the three signs of hubris (paranoia, impetuosity, smugness) reels up to the surface, causing him to make decisions or say things he regrets later on.

Like an elf, Ailín has an endless love for beauty and nature. During his – highly unlikely - stay with the Astyrhim, Ailín learned to see the splendor in the eyes of all beings that are part of the vast forests. When alone in nature, listening to the silent whisper of the woods and the winds, he almost always gets in a state of melancholy and wails for the damage done to Nature’s children and all the destruction going on in the world.

Ailín does not like to be probed about his past by strangers, and will evade each and every one of these questions so masterfully that the person would soon forget what he was talking about, and be eluded into a more appealing subject. Although he does not let outsiders notice this, Ailín truly misses his family, and envies those who know their birth dates. No matter how lively or popular he may seem to the foreign eye, Ailín feels very fragile and lonely inside.

History, Part 0ne: Unknown Past

History, Part Two: In the Thaelon

Ailín cannot recall his past very well, there seems to be a swollen cloud shrouding his memories – which he does not find very imaginative and clever of the Aviaria to use the same old tale every time they want to mess with someone’s life.

It is of course not believable, what he tells - everybody knows, that the lightelves of the Thaelon are a mere myth from past times. It is a miracle, that he survived the time in the Thaelon , not conscious, not aware of himself, like an animal looking for his needs. But the gods love the young and who knows, what Seyella has in mind for him? So allow him to believe his dreams, his shattered head have produced. Maybe they saved him his mental sanity, and listen what he tells us.

„Nothing seems to evoke an image of my childhood years, or even the beginnings of my  teenage years. It is all as if I  was born the very first day I  woke up with the sweet wind chimes of the Astyrhim. If I have  any recollections of the moments I  lived through committed to my  memory other than the present one slow slipping away, they surely are about the indefinite period I  spent among the light elves. Yes, those were fine days indeed. Days, maybe months or possibly even years, which would not be so easily forgotten.

Please change the rest to the first person yourself

Those who have only seen the Thaelon will say the woods have “an indescribable atmosphere” that “fills (the) heart and soul with a feeling of well-balance and contentment.” Those blessed few who have actually walked the tranquil path to the core of the forest, where the essence of relaxation lies, will tell you that the Thaelon is a land filled with romance, myth and history -where the spirits of nature and the echoes of ancient legends combine to create a unique musical air in a place of eternal youth.

Due to his claims of having seen, and moreover lived with the light elves, he has been called a dreamy lad with a vast imagination, or even worse, a lunatic not only day-dreaming but also forcing others to believe in these delusions. These allegations are particularly fueled by his uncertainty on how long he stayed with these elves and not being able to speak Styrash fluently. If one was to judge the time Ailin spent among the elves by his height and the changes that took place in his face – all the teenage skin complaints and the like - (he is in adolescence after all), one would say that Ailín had been in the forest no longer than a few days. Yet, quite conversely, if one was to look at his hair, one would say that it had to be at least three or four months, for Ailín had very short hair when he first woke up to the kind voices of the sacred ones. Furthermore, the elves for no apparent reason only spoke in the common tongue around in, and not in Styrash unless they wanted to teach him a word or phrase. But despite these contradictions, to tell the truth, Ailín did pick up a faint elven accent; when he speaks absentmindedly Ailín has a tendency to say “nae” instead of “not”, “be” in place of “is” and “me” for “mine/I”… But of course, as any man who has his head screwed on right would say, there are also millions of “logical” ways to explain the situation.

From my  diary, written on a day of resentement:

“Ailín… Ióéil… Séafra… Cy'eáll… These are what I’ve been called by the elves. None of them I know the meaning of, don’t even know if they are separate names or smaller parts of one big rune. My true name? Who knows? Such secrets have long been forgotten and yet to be revealed to me.

I have never had faith in names agreed upon – or worse: before - birth. Perhaps my fellow men’s claims were right, maybe never having, or being aware of, one has clouded my judgment… Perhaps. Hence, I believe in names well earned. Go forth, I can almost see your lips shaping that one disturbing question circling your head, that one long-wondered query few had the courage to ask: “So… what titles have you been called with, then?” Ailín… Ióéil… Séafra… Cy'eáll… or so the elves whispered to me. Of this four, none I recognize in structure or meaning; yet, all somehow seem to make that dark rusty corner of sub consciousness quiver. Like ice cold waves washing against the shores of an unknown land, on those last few hours before the warm afternoon breeze turns into a furious storm for the night. Waves that subtly withdraw to the shadowy deep blues, drifting away with all the signs of their presence - leaving only eerie marks of what had once been on the smooth strands of silken sand.

But this much sentiment should be enough for a warrior of your age and stature for a year, right restless champion of perilous exploits? If only you knew the slices you left raw in life to rot behind… We live these compressed lives that are to the elves like the life of a Quillyia is to us, yet we still fail to capture those silent crystalline moments fluttering away from us, flowing from in between our fingers to nothingness like twisted threads of white sand.

You’ve disappointed me, friend. I had expected you to ask the one question that has always remained unasked: What name have I earned through my deeds alone so far? With my past, maybe, forever buried into the blackness of the void, without even shattered fragments of memories left behind, what shall shape my future? I do not know.

Who am I? Why am I here? These are what I ask myself most, when lingering alone in the woods, staring into Silarná’s silver visage reflected on the serene surface of Ephirn’s Lake late at night. The answers, I do not have.

Ahh! To hear those benign whispers in the wind, to fly gently with the evening breeze among the leaves of the sacred trees once again! What more must I give, my love? What else must I sacrifice?”

History, Part Three: Outside the Thaelon

I would recommend to write the change the next to first person as well.

The first time Ailín consciously set foot on the world outside the Thaelon Forest, and went into a musty looking hut (which was called a ‘tavern’ or so was he later taught by the not-so-polite bartender after Ailín proposed that the hut could use a little wash every once in a while. It was a friendly gesture for sure, offering advice and aid to those who needed it; Ailín never understood why he was yelled at so rudely) he sat next to a jug of heavy perfume. As words cleared the path for more words, the conversation got to a point where both were talking about their dreams for the future, and trying to impress the other with the quality of their wishes, the barmaid slapped Ailín on the face for “deluding her into rebellion with his sweet tongue”. She was, at the same time, trying to articulate that Ailín was “certainly of Murmillion ascendance” since he craved for too much fame and power, through her wails. Also before she finally made it to the kitchen and slammed the door shut with a loud bang, the barmaid (Ailín still regrets not asking her name, for he is sure that she would calm down after sometime –after all these humans had a tendency of being agitated – and would realize how much she hurt him that night) yelled back to him that the Gods would one day punish him for asking too much, and trick others into doing the same.

Of course it was a trivial assertion since Ailín never liked being underground or wearing dark colors (well, at least not all the time), but Ailín did not know this at that time. He still recalls escaping the tavern with tears of shame. Even he had heard the dreadful reputation of the Murmillion society…

Another thing that he still fails to understand is why the elves so abruptly left him, and how he traveled to this place after leaving the Thaelon Woods. (Ask a stranger though, and he’d have the answer: Probably because the lad has never been there!) One day when he woke up, Ailín could no longer see the serene figures of the light elves. All he could sense were their wind-chime like voices singing at the very core of his Being, telling him that they were waiting for him on the outskirts of the forest. After that Ailín does not recall the journey between the heart of the woods and the place he is in now*. It is rather odd for the elves that he had been so close to, to leave him without words of farewell or supplies.

You have to change the following accordingly of course...like: I don‘t believe, as many assume, that my memory of the lightelves are only a repercussion of my aprupt loss and revovery?? of consciousness

It is very probable that his afore mentioned (in paragraphs [history section] 8 and 9)) memories of the light elves may only be a repercussion of his abrupt loss and gain (**) of consciousness.

*Still to be decided according to which rp game I’ll be accepted into. Preferably somewhere near, though.

** “Gain” doesn’t sound right. Is there any other word I could use? Or another way to rephrase the sentence?

Occupation

Nothing significant yet, merely exploring the rest of the world. Or to put it in simpler words: Wandering around without much thought. You need an income

Weakness:

- Talking too much [among people he trusts to be his friends] without considering what he is about to say. Usually not considered a serious weakness, but in Ailín’s case – since the strongest weapon he has is his charm- this can prove to be quite devastating and lethal.

- Ailín is unfortunately still dreadfully innocent. He believes everyone is at least as good as he is, and that it is possible for every Being to dig out their decent self even when it has long been covered by hebs of dire memories. Ailín cannot believe that people, willingly, may want to do harm to nature or to another. “They must have been forced into these evil intentions,” Ailín oftentimes reason.

- Being very susceptible to head and neck aches due to his slender body type.

- Suffering from drowsiness and soreness after visions (see strengths).

- Cannot run far or for a long period of time, since he never had to. Ailín has never been extremely physically fit, he is known to get tired more often than the average warrior, but unlike some, he would never let his friends down by asking them to stop unless he really has to.

- Ailín is allergic to dust, and pollen, and quite able to catch a cold without much effort. But he refuses to cease working and living with flowers despite his sensitivity towards their reproductive parts.

- He does not eat much, and has never been into red-meat, likes vegetables (preferably freshly picked up) instead; but when he has no other option, he can “consumes pieces” of a well cooked beef. However he enjoys eating fish, and can tolerate chicken – if they are both not killed in his presence. He also always whispers a short prayer (a plea for maintaining the balance of nature) before eating something that has been hunted.

- Although he loves animals as Beings and takes care for them when “Mother Nature asks (him) to” (when there is need) and loves to fondle them, but dislikes feeding, brushing…those “beast”. Furthermore, he cannot tolerate the scent of domestic animals who have adopted their masters’ smell.

-Afraid of spiders, but none of these fears is exaggerated to the stage of a phobia.

- Like an elf, he is clean, likes to take a bath (if possible in a stream or a lake, alone in the wilderness, but never says no to a hot tub of water) at least once a day. Thus this makes him extremely hard to embark on long journeys where he might not have access to clean water. Now that he has been on the road for more than a few days without a spell of rain, Ailín feels very dirty and insecure. Cleaning will always be his first priority when he arrives at a tavern. This being said, it is obvious that Ailín has no stomach for bad odors and dirty people. This renders him unable to focus on a matter with all his being when in a smelly place.

-Any bad comment about his physical appearance simply infuriates him. Terrified of getting his face charred or marred, he would do anything in a battle to avoid getting war marks. Also dreads the day he’ll have his first line of aging.

- Ailín has never engaged in battle, or held a weapon. He prefers to use his personality and handsome face to deliver him away from trouble.

Strenghts

- Ailín’s compassionate and charismatic nature places him in the good side of most people, especially those of elven heritage.

-Is clairodus, can smell things even when it’s physically impossible (like with a cold or swollen nose)

- When totally free of worldly worries, Ailín can hear the whispers in the wind (especially if he is alone in the wilderness at midnight, when all is quiet) speaking softly to each other of the day’s proceedings.

- Ailín can sometimes tell the mood of a person when he catches his/her scent or voice untainted (perfumes, imitating another’s voice etc. makes it hard for him to get an accurate perception).

-Crafted with his fingers. Can produce works of art from everyday materials. (especially from the stems of flowers)

-Although Ailín has never had to face a magic user, he somehow feels that he will have resistance towards magic, especially towards those with destructive patterns (for instance, fire). But he would never engage in battle with a mage simply to prove the theory, since Ailín would hate to be proven wrong on this one, and have his delightful face marred.

- Ailín, once again, believes that he would restore faster than an average human. At the very least, that was what the light elves told him, but he may never know given that he never had a grave accident and is not familiar with how others of his race heal. He, once again, is not too sure about this subject.

- Ailín loves reading and listening to tales, so it is very likely for him to catch up on the things he missed, and become quite a learned (that is if he can get past his innocence) teenager.

-A brilliant thinker, he is adept at formulating plans and creating strategies.

***since personality is the only weapon he has this is not exaggerated or a god character for sure***

Possessions

Nothing much. The only things worth mentioning are the clothes he wears and the Astyrhim token (both “supposed to be” given by the light elves…) And, yes – he does not
have an extra set of clothes, money, or weapons with him.

Animals/Familiars: Ailín has never been a beast-master/lover type of child. He prefers the company of nature and things he can talk to

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

Ailin Ioeil Seafra Cyeall
New Santharian

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2004, 11:38:22 PM »

Thank you :worship :worship :worship :worship :worship :worship :worship :worship :worship :worship :worship  :hug :hug :hug :hug :hug :hug :worship :worship :worship :worship :worship :worship :worship :worship :worship :worship :worship  much Talia!

Edited my CD in the way you suggested (though I'm afraid i messed up with the bold/color change... can someone fix it for me? :o :rolleyes ) Hope it's ok now

PS: I did not change History- Part 3 to the first person, since it includes events that Ailin would rather not talk about. I hope it's ok with you?

Lady of the South
Mini-mod

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2004, 11:34:22 PM »

Of course :)  

I would nevertheless set your Days of Resentments in italics and change color, just to distiguish a bit. It is much more readable ! And mark your comments as well, as I did.

Your unknown history will not please the mods entirely. I don't think, that you can be a windmage level 3 with 15(not sure though), and if you want to be one to be educated in magic, then they want to know which spells you knew! So why make it complicate? Just let him be a normal youth following the paths of his parents - maybe with the desire to be a mage.
If you say, you are a windmage, what would you hinder to detect it while roleplaying?(your memory coming back) Then you would have found an easy way to avoid long descriptions of his magic education, lol.
And I think just "disapearing" won't please them either. You need to invent a story how it happened. Maybe he has run away from home and got hit on the head through a falling branche..etc

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 2/13/04 15:45
New Santharian

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2004, 07:00:22 AM »

:biggrin  I'd rather have lightning. Again I wonder how this would be useful...

Btw, Rayne said that one would need about 9 years of Ximax education to achieve level 3. Also i was thinking of Water, don't know why I wrote wind :b :hammer

One thing about the"list the spells you know" that I really find stupid is: Well, if you are "studying" magic, and have exams on various spheres then aren't you expected to know all those spells? (plus, we have so litte on the site anyway. One should learn more than 4 spells in 9 years, come'n!)

Khiera Meneris
Troubled Wanderer
Approved Character

Human, Hjoria

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2004, 08:23:22 AM »

Okie, i see you've done quite alot of edits to your history ... let's take a look:

1. A little clarification here: Your character went off to Ximax when he was 6 years old?? And became a level 3 mage before he was 15??

2. There are repetitions of paragraphs (at the beginning and at the end) in Part Two of the history. Perhaps you would like to remove the repeated parts.

3. I'm still not clear and unsure about the "whispers in the wind" part in your strengths section. See prior comments of mine.

All in all, with the edits to your history, i feel more comfortable with your references to the Light Elves. Just maybe clear up or clarify a few bits here and there (as mentioned above), and i'll be happy to give my approval.  

Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.

Terra Artemos
Moonblade Warrior
Mini-mod

Human, Sophronian

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2004, 10:20:22 AM »

Yah, going to Ximax at the age of skill will not work. The minimum age of exceptance is 12 years of age. So your character would graduate at about the age of 21.

I have not actually read the CD so I can not comment further, I just wanted to make that clear as that is the limit Rayne posed to me when we talked about a little project I will do eventually.

Admin Contact Info: Mortus Pryde/Terra Atremos

'I am grey. All but those like me see only darkness and light, they do not see the grey between them. In this greyness I dwell. I would not wish this fate on any other.'

Coren FrozenZephyr
New Santharian

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2004, 10:02:22 PM »

@terra/mortus: Hmm... I thought she set the usual age of acceptance to 6-8 (since Ximax began 'hunting' for talented students all over the continent at a very early age) for the Ximax project Otherwise humans would never be able to achieve the archmage status. Think of the function l-y (level achieved - average time it takes to achieve that level) like something similar to l= y2 (squared) [of course this isn't an exact conversion, but it still works to illustrate my point]. And there you have a parabola coming up... If we were to state it in a simpler way: It would take (always talking about the ideal conditions; assuming that the student has enough money, skill and hands in all the assignments etc) more years to advance one level than it was necessary in the last period of leveling. (the slope increases drastically after 4 and every three levels (a new stage of training, from initiate to ...) Since one "graduates" from Ximax after L6, one would assume that he/she would be half the way (time wise) through his training after L3, but actually he/she is only about 1/3 (if not less) way up the pyramid. (instead of functions, can I imagine  this like a upside down pyramid? Although one travels the same distance around the base in helezons, he end up climbing up (vertically, h) a little less in each time interval)

So, if we were to accept (and i think it works pretty well) that it takes 9 years for an average "human" student to reach L3, a human would never be able to see the day he becomes an archmage.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here, I'm starting to get confused at an alarming rate :o

@khiera: Ooops... Forgot to delete them after I changed the stuff... sorry. :noidea

I guess I won't be able to explain the whispers in the wind part, until Smith can finish an entry he is working on for the dev board... Removed that as well :broadgrin  

Mina
Ávash'deláey
Approved Character

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2004, 10:56:22 PM »

Beyond level 6, how fast a mage advances depends largely on their own abilities and talent.  So, humans can become archmagi, if they are capable enough.  From levels 1-6, students are not allowed to advance to the next level until they have trained for a certain number of years.  It is only after they graduate that they are allowed to advance at their own rates.  That's how Ximax works, though it feels a little strange to me.  

There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no passion; there is serenity.
There is no death; there is the Force.

Coren FrozenZephyr
New Santharian

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2004, 12:53:22 AM »

So, when would Ailin have started studying and which level could he attain in that period?

@mina: Hmm... didn't know that. That doesn't make a lot of sense though... Then how would one explain why an elf needs more years to 'level up' ?(as rayne and mortus stated) Why doesn't Ximax have a credit system instead? If someone is talented and/or hardworking enough, he can move no as soon as he 1) takes the classes he has to complete to be able to graduate from a certain year 2) hands in all his coursework/ passes the exams etc.

Edited by: Coren FrozenZephyr at: 2/15/04 20:32
Coren FrozenZephyr
New Santharian

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2004, 12:11:22 AM »

Hmmm... sorry i must have mixed someone else with you...

But still if elves learn at a slower pace (that's what i meant with 'leveling up', which is btw a term I do not like), they still will "graduate"  later - so how is this system going to be strict about the first 6 years? why don't we just use a credit system instead? (including strash, history, electives etc)

Also, think about Xeua and Ecua:

the average human life span was about 60-70 in the middle ages (that means a person at 60 usually died from old age - as in 'not being able to function properly') So if one graduates at about 36, he/she only has about 10-15 years left for "study". Let's say he wants to study Ecua. First (if he's an incredibly talented student) he would spend about a third of his remaining years (5 years) in elemental magic (one of the magic experts said one could only start Xeua/Ecua after a L8 in elemental magic), than only 10 years to become the archmage of Ecua!! Or even become a strong Ecua mage... :\  

Back to Ailin:
The above was only my personal view on the system. But since you are the experts/admins here, you have the right to decide what is ok for the rp and what is not. So, if he starts at the age of 12 what level can he achieve until 15?

PS @ Rayne (non-rp related): please have a look at pub176.ezboard.com/fsanth...=323.topic I'd really like to hear your comments (since it was basically an apology to you) before I change anything. :D  

Edited by: Coren FrozenZephyr at: 2/16/04 16:13
Lady of the South
Mini-mod

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2004, 02:17:22 AM »

Coren - if it is as you say, then the logical consequence is, that only an elf can become an archmage of ecua, which is alright with me :)

But it is NOT the place here to discuss these things. I thought you want to roleplay and get on with your CD, skip the magic studies - you didn't have them in mind when starting your CD without history, did you? Or was your plan, that Ailins memory comes back gradually and he discovers that he is a grown out mage? No way!

When the lightning strikes you with 15, then you have just two years of magic in Ximax, need a reason to go away (no visiting of the parents each year - it takes a lot of time and money  to travel) and won't be a big mage when your memory comes back. Level 2, Rayne?

Either you skip the magic or you have to play an older char.

Khiera Meneris
Troubled Wanderer
Approved Character

Human, Hjoria

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2004, 02:30:22 AM »

The magic system here always gives me a royal headache ...

... in short, what Talia said. *HUGS Talia*

Hold me.
Soothe me.
Love me.

Save me from my RAGE.

New Santharian

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2004, 05:57:22 AM »

:: slaps self :: I don't even know why i had the discussion here, guess i get carried away pretty easily... neither do I know why I insisted on having Ailin as a mage -'twould only cause more trouble (btw, Talia, that was never my plan :jawdrop  )

** hugs everyone for their help

Edit: removed the magic bit

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[July 30, 2021, 06:05:42 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]