Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Calendar Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Embed Maximize

Newbies, read these!

Character Creation
FAQs
Restrictions

Main Site
Portraits
Rules
Story Creation
Racial Crossbreeding
Magic

Contact
Tips and Tricks
IRC Chat
Measures Converter
Elven Aging Calculator
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Chapter Three - Stranger Things Happen At Sea  (Read 31237 times)
Chii
Femme Fatale
Story Mod

Merfolk

« Reply #105 on: March 04, 2010, 07:50:13 AM »

Chii danced across the surface of the water, watching in childlike delight as the coins flipped and glittered in the sunlight before plopping into the sea. She caught one as it came fluttering in her direction, prodding at it as it lay flat in her palm. Holding it to the sun she turned it this way and that, marveling as it's shiny surface reflected the light. Then, with a quick duck of her head she dove down to retrieve the others, snatching them up as they descended to the ocean floor. Cupping them in her hands, she let them slip through her fingers like sand before renewing her search for them again. It was a game she often played, though pearls were her favorite.

She hid the coins inside of a Pear Whelk shell, half hidden under the muck and sand that made up the sea floor. With a quick flip of her tail fin she covered it a bit more before propelling herself to the surface once again. She shot out like a dart, her long blue hair wet and slick as it trailed down her back. The multicolored shells strung through it stood out drastically against the dark mass. She broke the water again with a perfectly executed dive before floating to the surface on her back. Keeping pace with the ship, her mouth opened and out of it came a song, sung in a soft and sultry voice. The words were an almost incoherent hodgepodge of Tharian, Styrash and Mermish but it wasn't the lyrics that enchanted many a sailor, it was her voice that captivated her audience. It was a magical sound that soothed the ears and hung on the wind. It was almost as if the notes were tangible, that you could reach out and grasp them in your hand. Lulling her head back into the water, she writhed and arched as her tail fin propelled her backward.

The sea is filled with madmen weary of mermaids, seaweed and the changelessness of salt in their eyes.
Koka Bentarm
Bearded Lady
Approved Character

Dwarf, Mitharim

« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2010, 04:23:41 AM »

She was lying on her back. More than that, she was not really moving, which was worrying, considering that there had just been a crazed human lunging at her a moment ago. This thought was followed by the movement, and her eyes flew open - only to realise she was not in the hold with the monsters anymore. She kept still, only letting her eyes wander around, trying to decide where she was then, and how she had got here. She was somewhere inside still, though it was not dark - it must still be day out, or possibly again. It seemed a logical conclusion that she had been unconscious for a while at least, since she seemed to have made it to safety without actually remembering it.

After a while she relaxed enough to sit up, causing a wave of dizziness to wash over her. She grabbed her head, trying to steady the spinning that the room was doing before her eyes, thus discovering the reason she had been unconscious: a bandage was wrapped around her head, so the sailor had hit her hard. She could only guess what had stopped him from actually killing her. She liked to think it was one of her travelling companions who had saved her.

When the dizziness passed, she stood up, surprised at how lucid she was. She would have expected to be at least dazed after a blow to the head and a period of unconsciousness, but nothing of the kind. Now that she had a fuller view of the room, she realised that she was probably in the captain's quarters - she didn't think anyone else on board a ship could have quarters like these.

Apart from her, there was only Royce lying in the room. It would seem that the two of them were the only ones hurt bad enough to warrant a place in the captain's cabin, though she could not imagine anyone coming out of that place without at least some scratches. "Well, shall I see if I can find some of our companions?" she asked the still unconscious Royce, who of course did not answer. Grinning at her own silliness, she left him to rest and wake up in his own time, and to find where the others might have gone to.

fionn
Prosaic Waif
Approved Character

Mullog

« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2010, 06:28:35 AM »

Fionn turned slightly as someone entered the room – Malavon, and he looked pretty rough. She thought of getting up and going to him, but Ylva was already halfway there by the time she’d muzzily registered the movement. Something else registered, seeming to float to her attention out of sequence, in her tired, battered head. She looked over at Miss Rhia, who’d laid her arm out on the table, presumably so Ylva could look at it. Well, we can at least try and be useful.

The Captain asked if anyone had seen mister Luft, and she shook her head cautiously, before turning to Rhia and beckoning her over with a gesture towards her arm and a weary smile. A sailor had come in and told the captain about... mermaids? What’s a mermaid? She listened, curious despite her aching head. Said it’s going to rain? It speaks, is a she? Fionn remembered stories about Fish and Kaimun spirits that lived in the deep pools, and knew important things. Well, maybe here you get especially big fish, who know especially useful things? The idea prompted a small smile. More likely it was just some other kind of boat, with news from the seas ahead.

“I wonder, if anybody else noticed how useful Mr Luft’s magic was?” Fionn looked up. It was magic, then? That would explain it.
“I’m sure that his skills would prove of use.  What do you think?”

The mullog frowned. Well, he likely would be useful, not that she knew what was likely going to be required. But there was more to it than that. She looked up, tilting her head slightly to watch the captain out of her good eye, and murmured, “I don’t know what he did down there, so perhaps I’ve not much right to speak on the matter... but it seems to me that mister Luft is a lot braver, and a lot more selfless, than he might have had reason to be, given what he’s gone through since joining us... I mean, well, not questioning your command or nothing, captain, but he hasn’t exactly been welcomed with open arms...” Fionn paused as a thought occurred. She was vaguely aware that her dizziness was making her speak her mind more than she maybe should, but she needed to say something or else curl up in a ball of quivering fear at the realisation of all that’d happened in the past few hours.

“...actually... it’s not just mister Luft has behaved so heroically without even the promise of pirate treasure to egg them on... Mallorix – it was him, wasn’t it? he saved... it was him, wasn’t it...” she trailed into silence, her one working eye staring as blankly as the other as it began to dawn just how close she’d come to death, and how much she owed to that sailor.

"If it's teeth are longer than your fingers, for the Ancestors' sake, assume it doesn't want it's belly tickled..."
Fionn's CD
Malavon Despana
Wizard's Bane
Approved Character

Maelf , Helcrani Sanhorrhim

« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2010, 11:21:05 AM »

Malavon eyes  softned as Ylva spoke , the older woman was sincerely worried about him , not a sentiment Mal was used to , as a slayer he was scorned by almost all , and had no one to care about him .
With a warm smile , he answered with an almost friendly voice " I thank for your concern , but my scars are mostly on my mind " , he closed his eyes painfully for a second , and eating what Ylva told him to , he continued " And you ? Are you well ? I saw as you bravely stood before the mariners , protecting Rhia , that is something I can respect , an act of a hero ..." , his voice began to lower to shades of sadness , he couldn´t do much , besides killing some of the creatures , a murderer even in the worst situations , did he even tried to protect someone else ?

He did protect someone , Fu the mage , although he was forced too , such selfless sentiments were not present on the slayer , but perhaps this journey could change him , reminding Royce , Mal asked Ylva " Tell me have you seen Royce? , I have to thank him , if not for him  , I wouldn´t be here "

Ill give you a moment to comfort each others before I end your pathetic lives !!

Malavon The Mage Killer
Yurie Yileen
Walker of Dreams
Story Mod

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #109 on: March 19, 2010, 02:09:46 AM »

"Indeed," the captain said in response to Fionn's reply, "Mallorix rescued you from the hold, and showed great courage in doing so.  Rest assured, he'll be congratulated and rewarded accordingly, but I don't think that he has any particular use on your quest."  Captain Fjorwek paused momentarilly before continuing.  "Mr Luft, on the other hand, possesses very unusual, and dare I say it, powerful abilities, that I'm sure would aid you."

Just then, a hesitant figure appeared in the room, a bandage around her head.

"Ah, Koka, there you are!  I hope that you're feeling better; you was beginning to worry us.  Please, have a seat."

Captain Fjorwek glanced over at Ylva and her patient.  It seemed as though the healer had given Malavon an onion to eat.  The captain's face screwed up at the thought of how awful it must taste, before turning his attention back to Fionn.

"So I take it that you wouldn't object to Mr Luft joining the group, Fionn?  How about the rest of you?  Maybe you don't recall what he did, Koka?  Things were..." the captain struggled to find an adequate word, "...complicated down there.  Suffice to say, he conjured us a way out of certain death, and I believe he would be of great use to your expedition.  I can't help but notice that Jorn didn't invite any wizards, but I feel that it must have been an oversight on his part.  I must confess, prior to today, I always thought them useful as mere entertainers.  But it would seem that I was very wrong.  What do you say, Koka?"

Mallorix Volinkov
Adventurous Peasant
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2010, 10:34:30 AM »

After he emerged from the hold, Mallorix suddenly realized how tired he was. All that had happened seemed so distant. He felt so weak......

The world sharply came into focus as the hole through which everyone was escaping vanished. Mallorix looked around, just to make sure everyone had made it out.
Shocked, he noticed that the captain and Fu were not on the deck. Just as he began to worry, a smaller hole appeared. They were safe.

The commotion wasn't over yet, though. Many were still wounded from the battle and the fire. There were people everywhere. The diseased men below deck were now sprawled on the ship, writhing in the sunlight. The wounded were being carried off. The young sailor realized that if he did not flee from the ship, the crew would depart without him. He stumbled back onto the Southern Arrow in the nick of time. A few moments later, there were at least 5 peds, if not more.

A doctor's cry was heard.
“This man has been stabbed!  Quickly, Johnson, get me my tools!”

Mallorix went back to the crew, who had gathered around one side of the ship. The young man went to the edge of the group, trying to catch a glimpse of what they were looking at. He heard a compelling, beautiful voice singing, and managed to see for a moment the origin of the sound.

It was a maiden who was swimming through the water. As Mallorix craned his neck to see her more clearly, he noticed that she had , instead of legs, a scaly tail! The singer was a mermaid, the likes of which the green sailor had never seen. One of the older sailors threw shiny coins into the water, and the mermaid gracefully dived down to retrieve them. It was like a dream. Mallorix stood there, watching........

"I despise merchants. All of them are fat, rich men who yell about things and take your money."
Mallorix's CD
Koka Bentarm
Bearded Lady
Approved Character

Dwarf, Mitharim

« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2010, 02:13:26 AM »

It was quite by chance that the first place where she thought to look for her companions, the captain's cabin, was exactly where she found them. A lucky stroke, usually she only found things or people in the last possible place she could think to look for them. As she approached the door, the captain welcomed her, and she nodded her head in answer to his question, though not too vigourously. "I am well, thank you, considering the death I was certain was coming my way. I can bear with a little headache if in return I keep my life."

Moments later captain Fjorwek asked her opinion in the matter of the stowaway. She listened to his words in silence, taking in what he was saying. It seemed that she had missed quite some action while she was unconscious. "You are correct, sir, that I do not remember what took place down in the hold. I have lost track of quite some time, it seems. But as far as humans go, he's a nice enough fellow, so if he has no objection to joining us, I would not mind the addition to the party."

With that, she sat down in the nearest available chair, suddenly dizzy - possibly as an aftermath to her headwound. Or else she was still not quite used to the movements of the ship, she who was used to solid earth both above and below her. In any case, she closed her eyes to try and get rid of the dizziness. As she did so, she was transported back to the hold of the Laughing Lady, where she was hacking away at a face that had once been human. Only now, when she could sit quietly and think back, now she remembered her own ferocity, which had been born of fear. She put her hands in front of her face and groaned.

When she took her hands away, she saw the others - at least some of them - looking her way. She looked around the circle with anguish in her eyes. "What happened down there? Those... things... had left their humanity behind, they were little more than animals. But then what was I? For I attacked them with as much ferocity, and not much thought for anything dwarfish. Was I any better than them? What happened?" She was not sure who of the companions her question was meant for. Perhaps only for herself... perhaps for all of them. If any could give an answer, she would welcome it. She had none.

Rhia
Songbird of the Sea
Approved Character

Human, Blaar'kr

« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2010, 12:50:37 PM »

Rhia obediently pushed back her chair and trudged over to Fionn at her gesture, plopping down on the ground beside her with a eary but grateful smile. It felt so good... just not to stand... And it seemed like she was going to die if her forearm's aggravated skin wasn't to feel the soothing coolness of the healer's ointment.

Words were evidently too thick for the captain's tongue. He looked over at Malavon and his face contorted. The warrior's wounds were that bad, then? Rhia didn't want to look. She'd seen him early on in the battle, but her attention was distracted soon by her club-wielding attackor, so she'd no idea of his injuries.  Ylva seemed to be taking care of him though. No wonder the healer hadn't tended to her arm first, when Malavon was so heavily wounded. She almost felt guilty at taking Fionn's attention for her arm, when the dwarf Koka probably needed to be taken care of more, but she appeared to already be bandaged, so...

The captain spoke, but most of the words slithered past her ears. Only his mention of Luft caught and stayed in her mind. Oh. He was discussing whether they should keep Luft or throw him out. "Fionn, do you have any of Dr. Jorek's ointment for my arm?" It was all the same to her what they did with the mage. She didn't care.

She blinked. Yes she did. He saved their lives... She was mistaking her exhaustion and disinterest in the rest of the world for apathy towards Fu's fate.

"What happened down there? Those... things... had left their humanity behind, they were little more than animals. But then what was I? For I attacked them with as much ferocity, and not much thought for anything dwarfish. Was I any better than them? What happened?" Just one look at Koka's bearded, painfully contemplative face gave Rhia a headache. Was this really the time for philosophy? The day's events, mostly the fight, had drained all of her usual idealism and romanticism. Really what they needed was a good night's sleep. She was surprised that neither Ylva or Fionn had interjected with such. Who knew that the dwarf was such a philosopher. But then... under normal circumstances, was Rhia any better?

fionn
Prosaic Waif
Approved Character

Mullog

« Reply #113 on: April 12, 2010, 07:41:15 PM »

A sharp reply rose to Fionn’s tongue as the captain answered her. ‘No use on your particular quest?’ we barely even know what this ‘particular quest’ is going to involve! What are we getting these people into? What are we getting ourselves into?!
She stopped herself, though, as Rhia moved over and Koka stepped in.

Taking the human’s forearm gently in her hands, Fionn glanced over the wound, and then looked up to Rhia, returning her smile with a reassuring one of her own. Hey, we’re alive. That was good to know. Looking back down, she ran a finger along the skin next to the wound, following the line of it. Dammit this headache is not helping. Rhia offered a suggestion. Ointment. Yes. Right. She nodded, and started digging in pockets, mumbling “’fraid I’ve not got the exact stuff... but this should help, ‘s almost as good...” she pulled a small, grubby-labelled tin from a pocket, flicked the lid up, and started gently rubbing the thickly scented ointment into the inflamed skin. The smell was something bright and clean in the tired air. The idea occurred again that they were alive. True, Royce and Koka had been injured, but what she muzzily remembered of the injuries looked promising. They were all tired and shocked and could probably really do with sleep, but they had survived. Maybe it was the light-headedness and fuzzy headache that was still clouding her thoughts, but that seemed a fairly wonderful thing.

As Koka spoke up, the feeling of elation soured, somewhat. People had died, that was true. Real people who shouldn’t have had to. Something horrible had happened. But that was why they were taking this strange voyage, wasn’t it? because bad things were happening, and we might not be sure we were the best people to sort them out, but we were here now so we had to try, right?

And we need all the help we can get.

She was speaking up before she even realised she’d thought about it – clearly things were still a tad muzzy. “You were protecting yourself- protecting us all. I think everybody was – I’m still not sure how that happened, and I wish I could have been more use...” she paused, concentrating on rubbing the last of the ointment into Rhia’s arm. You ran. You ran away and even that you didn’t manage.
“...but the point is, between you, you were fighting for real people. I’m not... not a military person, so I dunno really about fighting for ideals... it never seemed much point... but fighting for other people’s different. That’s real...” she paused, vaguely aware that she wasn’t making much sense. There had been a point she wanted to make... ancestors, was she really this tired? C’mon, what were you going to say...
“so that’s what we- what you were fighting for, and that’s important, or I think it is. And Mallorix and Fu were there too, they did the same... did it unasked. Nobody promised them treasure. I don’t think that can be dismissed because they don’t have fancy skills. I don’t much know what we’ll be up against. Not sure any of us really do. But by the ancestors I’d rather face it with people I think I can trust” (you ran away. should they trust you?) “...than any amount of talents and tricks...”

She trailed off, a hand going to her head as a wave of dizziness and pain overtook her. She pressed the folded up headscarf to the wound again, closing her eyes until it subsided. She’d said too much, rambling on like she was drunk. Hadn’t been able to stop herself, though. And like a bell tolling in the back of her mind, again and again, the words: you ran, didn’t you?   

"If it's teeth are longer than your fingers, for the Ancestors' sake, assume it doesn't want it's belly tickled..."
Fionn's CD
Ylva Rasmussan
Oddball Healer
New Santharian

Human, Murmillion.

« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2010, 08:13:46 PM »

“Act of a hero?!” The skinny woman scoffed as she rifled through her bag, pulling out a small box, the mini beast inside wiggled a hairy leg out one of the holes in its prison. Hildegarde needed feeding, the spider seemed jumpier than usual, no doubt from a desire for food. Without looking up, Ylva settled down next to the swordsman, and pulled out a jar of moths from her satchel. Such sacred creatures shouldn’t just be food for a spider, but sadly Ylva had nothing else to give her pet. Maybe she’d be able to catch a rat later.

“A santharian told me once that you should save as many as possible, no matter the cost to themselves…but I’m no santharian, I don’t follow that….” Hah, and look where it got you! Always so sure of yourself, that you’re right, that you know all the facts…you didn’t even notice the blood.

The healer peeked over at the half-elf; he seemed to be lost in his own thoughts, Scars of the mind, hm? The worst kind of scars to have. Perhaps she should say something, though Ylva wasn’t sure what to say, in the end the murmillion just smiled and said,
“Mr Malavon, I don’t think heroes exist, if they do, they don’t look like they say in stories, maybe they just people who do good when needed.”

Then his next question threw her off, the smile dropped from her face, her voice turning cold and formal, “I think Royce is still unconscious in captain’s quarters...” The healer busied herself with feeding the arachnid, not wishing to talk about it any further.

Peering round Ylva saw that Koka had entered the room, she looked better but still seemed a bit dizzy from that knock on the head. Fionn was bandaging up Rhia; the captain wanted to talk about what had happened, discussing Fu and Mallorix, most his words confused her, mentioning some sort of creature that Ylva had never heard of. A mer-whatty?!

It was Koka finally brought up the questions that perhaps the rest of them wished to avoid, certainly Ylva had pushed all thoughts of those unhuman beings away, wishing for her precise memory not to swell on such things.

Fionn spoke up next, arguing in favour of Mallorix to joining them. Indeed her logic made sense in a way, though perhaps the captain wouldn’t agree.

“Fionn is right.” The words jumped out her mouth without meaning to. “We don’t know how this path end, nothing is a co-in-ced-dance, maybe Fu and Mallorix here for reason, like us. Beside, we need all help we can get. Those…beings, they sustained fatal injuries as though they scratches.” Her mind flicked through memories, reliving what had happened in the past few days, suddenly things were drawing together slowly, there was sense within the confusion.

….Unfortunately, the man had lost his senses, and only babbled incoherent nonsense about cities of the dead, ghosts in the night, shadowy shingar and…and…

“Last night, Jorek mention cities of the dead, and today we fight men that don’t die like mortal men. That cannot be chance.”

And the hold, the barred door….the missing logbook…

“And what is worse is that these cursed undead are not ones we should be worried about. Someone was strong enough to attack boat, they took logbook, and they put men in hold and…somehow men become cursed….it was a trap, maybe for us, maybe for anyone who come across them, but a trap all the same...it must been set by someone very dane-ga-roos…”

Ylva stopped her ramblings and flurried ideas, no doubt she sounded crazy to them all. In her lap, Hildegarde sat happily in its cage, devouring a moth whole.
Yurie Yileen
Walker of Dreams
Story Mod

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2010, 03:32:10 AM »

“Fionn is right, Koka,” Captain Fjorwek said in response to the dwarf’s anguished question.  “You were fighting for your life, and the lives of your fellows.  Whatever awful circumstances led to those men becoming as they were, I dare not speculate on, but I can tell you now that a man’s true nature can only be known when he’s put under pressure.  And what I saw from all of you, when we were under tremendous pressure, was bravery and self-sacrifice.”

The captain paused as he listened to Ylva.  Then, for a moment, he mulled over her words.

“Well,” he said tentatively, “I don’t deny that you do need as much help as you can get.  And events of late have been rather strange.”  He paused again as his brain tried to form a coherent sentence; maybe some of the smoke had got inside his head?  His thoughts certainly seemed hazier than usual.  “So maybe there is a reason for all of this.”  It was true that Mallorix had shown exceptional bravery.  Maybe that was reason enough for his joining the quest?

“Fetch Mallorix,” the captain said at last.

“Aye, sir!” a young sailor who had been loitering in the cabin marched out of the room.

“I’ll see what the lad thinks, himself.  Maybe he’ll prove to be a better adventurer than sailor.”

After searching all over the main deck, and asking the doctor, Handan stopped to think where the little wizard could be.  Maybe he’d conjured up a wind to blow himself away?  Or perhaps he’d turned himself invisible?  Both ideas seemed somehow likely, but not as likely as the next one that came to him.

With a sudden, decisive movement, he started to walk briskly towards the hold where Fu had been originally discovered.  It seemed to Handan that this was his last chance of fulfilling the captain’s orders.  If the stowaway hadn’t returned to his hiding place, then he didn’t know where to look.

“He must be down here,” Handan thought to himself as he climbed down the hold’s ladder.  “A bit like a wounded rat, he’s bound to have headed back to somewhere he feels safe.”

Now in the cargo hold, Handan quickly scanned the room, and felt his heart rise a little with joy.  Not far away, illuminated by the bright sun shining through the open hatch, lay a familiar figure.

“So here you are!” Handan shouted as he approached the sleeping wizard.  “The captain wishes to see you, up in his cabin!”

Handan looked down at the shabby figure, which remained motionless.

“Why, you’re a sorry sight,” he said to himself as he scrutinised Fu.

“Oi!  I said the captain wants to see you!”

Again, there was no response, except for a raspy, snoring sound.  Handan gently kicked the sleeping wizard with his boot, which elicited a slight sputtering, and then another deep, grating snore.

“Right, have it your way.”  Handan grabbed Fu’s ankles, and started to drag him towards the bottom of the stairs, muttering, “Nothing a bit of cold water won’t sort out,” as he did so.

It wasn’t hard to find Mallorix; he was standing next to the rail, along with a large number of the crew.  The young sailor sent to find him peered over the side to see what was going on.

“Beau’iful, ain’t she?” one of the other men said.

The young sailor didn’t manage a reply; he was too much in awe of what he was seeing.  A strange creature was swimming alongside the boat.  It was something like a woman, but a fish as well.

“Is…that…a mermaid?” he said at last.

“Aye, lad, ‘tis a good sign!” one of the older sailors replied, a broad smile on his weather-beaten face.  “Maybe things’ll work out alright, after all.  I bet the cap’n must be pleased!”

The captain!  Suddenly, the young sailor snapped back into reality, and walked over to Mallorix.

“The captain wants to see you in his cabin, mate; right away!  Come on, let’s go!”  Then he turned, and started to lead Mallorix back to the captain’s cabin.

Fu Luft
Befuddled Spellblower
Mini-mod

Human, Avennorian/ Eyelian

« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2010, 05:23:45 AM »

“Why, you’re a sorry sight,” the mermaids said. They had ropes in their hands, and cheerfully pounded Fu’s head with them. The ropes were hard as wood, but Fu’s head was soft as a fish tail, and it swayed left and right as he sank down into the sea. Beneath the waves, there was a restless light like from a fire that had got out of control. Although he sank deeper and deeper, Fu noticed that he could breathe. He was puzzled by that, but soon realized that his body was trapped inside an air bubble. Beside him, in the same bubble, there was a fish. Its face reminded Fu of someone, but he couldn’t remember who it was. “Right, have it your way,” the fish said. Its voice sounded like a sword.

The bubble burst, and the Burning Sea splashed into Fu’s face. How do I know that this ocean is called the Burning Sea,  Fu wondered. I must be dreaming.  “Nothing a bit of cold water won’t sort out,” said the fish. And now Fu recognized its voice.

”The Wizard’s Bane!” Fu shouted. And awoke.

”Finally!” sighed Handan. ”It took me three pipesmokes long to find you, and another nineteen to wake you up. The captain wants to see you.”

With some difficulty, Fu sat up. Water was dripping from his hair and nose. Above him stood not the Wizard’s Bane, but one of the sailors from the captain’s crew. Fu recognized him from earlier. In his hand, the sailor held an empty bucket.

”How long was I a-sleeping?” asked Fu.

”Long enough,” said Handan. ”You ain’t got no excuse not to be lively. Get up! You better be quick about it, too, for the captain has been waiting for some time.”

Things were still the same on this ship, then: nobody answered Fu’s questions. The wizard scrambled to his legs.

”You needed that water, too,” Handan added. You’re sooty all over; your clothes as well. At least wash your hands before you meet the captain. We’ll take the bucket and fetch some seawater.”

With three swift jumps, Handan flew up the ladder, the bucket dangling from his arm. Fu followed gingerly like a wounded spider. Up on deck, the bright sun bit his eyes, and he shut them tight. Be this today still, or be today yesterday already, he thought. Then he realized he didn’t understand what he’d just thought.

It took Fu some time until he could open his eyes. He had just managed to get as far as carefully staring at the deck with one eye half-open, when Handan appeared next to him. He had been fetching water, and put the filled bucket at Fu’s feet.

”Here, wash your hands,” he said. And then, as Fu stopped down to put his hands into the salt water:

“By Baveras, that’s no soot. They’re full of blood, your hands are. Did you get injured on that ghost ship? I thought your job was wizardry, not fighting! No, don’t rub, that’ll just open the wounds again. I think you better go and see Jorek later. But first it’s the captain. Those landlubber quacks are with him, anyway, so maybe they can have a look at your hands.”

Fu stumbled after Handan as he led him along until they stood at the door of the captain’s cabin. The sailor opened the door and bid Fu to step through. Handan himself did not enter, but merely tipped his hat to the captain, and pointed at Fu with his eyes, indicating: “wizard delivered, order completed”. Then he shoved Fu past the threshold and closed the door behind him. ”By Baveras,” he said to himself as he went back on deck. ”Did this drowsy flatfish really make a magic hole in the deck of that ghost ship? It’s hard to believe! I’ll ask my comrades whether they’re sure it was him.”

Inside the captain’s room, there was a lively discussion going on. The first person that Fu noticed was Ylva, who was speaking as he entered:

” ….it was a trap, maybe for us, maybe for anyone who come across them, but a trap all the same...it must been set by someone very dane-ga-roos…”

In her lap, there was a small box. Fu thought that he saw the box twitch and bounce ever so softly, as if a tiny imp was trapped in it. A trick of the light, probably, or the effect of the bobbing of the ship on the waves.

”Prithee be forgiving me this interruption of mine, captain,” Fu said.

”But this here sailor …” – Fu pointed behind him, not realizing that there was nobody there to point at – ”… this here sailor was saying that ye were wanting to be seeing me?”
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 05:31:09 AM by Fu Luft » Logged

Koka Bentarm
Bearded Lady
Approved Character

Dwarf, Mitharim

« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2010, 04:32:09 AM »

The answers that Koka received to her question were only partly satisfying. There were certainly those moments that were spoken of, fighting for other people - she remembered pushing someone... was it Ylva? Someone of the group, in any case, pushing them out of reach of one of those things. But that was not all. That was not how it had started. It had started with... with fear. She had been afraid, as she had rarely yet been afraid of any human. But then could they still be called human?

But she held her peace, afterwards. The fear was something she would have to come to terms with by herself, not here in this whole group. Maybe talked over with one or two others, but not while all were present at the same time. She leaned her head back against the back of her chair, closing her eyes as she did so. She must have dozed off for a moment, because the next thing she knew was the little mage's voice, and she had no recollection of him coming in. She was more tired still than she had thought, despite the moment of clarity when she woke up. Perhaps she should have stayed there with Royce a while longer. She realised she had no idea what the time was, but it felt like she should have been in bed hours ago. Strange how her head could be so clear when she just woke up, and then so foggy just a little while later. An effect of the blow to her head, perhaps.

She opened her eyes again and looked at the mage in the doorway. So, if what they had told her was true, this was the man who created a hole in the deck of a burning ship so that all of them - those who were still alive, of course - could make it back to safety. She would have to remember to thank him later, but for now it was for the captain to speak to him. She turned her eyes to Fjorwek, waiting for his answer.

Mallorix Volinkov
Adventurous Peasant
Approved Character

Human, Centoraurian

« Reply #118 on: May 07, 2010, 12:41:55 PM »

The shimmering water mesmerized Mallorix, as did the beautiful mermaid swimming beneath the surface. He barely noticed another person approaching from behind to gaze at the spectacle below. An old, creaking, voice, raspy from countless years of breathing the salt of the sea, broke the almost sacred silence.

“Beau’iful, ain’t she?”

The quiet resumed its place around the group of sailors, enchanted into watching the graceful figure. It was a warm silence, pierced only by the rolling softness of the ocean, as well as the beautiful singing voice from the green seas. Again, the spell lapsed for a moment, this time caused by a younger deckhand.
“Is…that…a mermaid?”

The old and experienced sailor replied happily.

“Aye, lad, ‘tis a good sign! Maybe things’ll work out alright, after all.  I bet the cap’n must be pleased!”

The power of the mermaid was broken when someone walked right up to Mallorix and spoke.

“The captain wants to see you in his cabin, mate; right away!  Come on, let’s go!”

Reluctantly, Mallorix turned away from the powerful beauty. He followed the other sailor, as young as he, to the captain's cabin. The two walked up to the door, where Mallorix stepped in front and respectfully knocked before opening the door. He stepped in and paused, before saying, "Captain, I believe you were asking for me?"

"I despise merchants. All of them are fat, rich men who yell about things and take your money."
Mallorix's CD
Yurie Yileen
Walker of Dreams
Story Mod

Human, Eyelian

« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2010, 05:17:56 AM »

Captain Fjorwek was just about to address Fu, when Mallorix made his entrance as well.

“Ah, yes, I wanted to see you both.”

The captain gestured to a couple of empty chairs at his table.

“Please, have a seat.”

Before speaking further, he let his two new guests settle down as well as they could.

“First of all,” he continued, “I want to thank you both, on behalf of all of us here.  You showed great bravery and initiative during our ordeal, and I think it safe to say that we all owe you our lives.”

The captain paused for a moment, to allow the seriousness of his words to register.

“And so, I think it only right that I let you know the true nature of this journey, and why we have undertaken it.

“In short, gentlemen, your ship-mates here are working for a very wealthy merchant, who has contracted them to help him locate a number of precious objects.  These objects have been taken from him over a number of years, by a certain, villainous individual.

“The individual in question is a notorious pirate, who goes by the name of Tendrim Jovloff.”

Captain Fjorwek paused briefly, and watched the reaction of Fu and Mallorix.  Had they heard of Jovloff before?

“Needless to say, Jovloff stole from a number of merchants, and not just our employer, Jorn Ranskjun.

“The quest to locate and recover a very large amount of treasure has therefore fallen onto the shoulders of those assembled here.  If successful, the entire amount, minus a few, selected pieces, will be equally divided among those involved in its recovery.

“And believe me, gentlemen, we are talking about a fortune greater than either of you could ever hope to amass in your lifetimes.

“Of course, such riches do not come easily, and the way ahead is a dangerous one.  It is by no means certain that all those assembled here shall return to their loved ones alive; if at all.”

The captain paused again, taking a sip of stingo.

“And so, we come to the point.  It has been noted that you would both be of great value to the expedition, and it has been agreed that you should be invited to join.  The conditions offered are the same as those that were offered to the others; an equal share of the treasure.

“If you have any questions, you may ask them now, and I shall try my best to answer them.”

With the invitation made, the Captain fell silent, and waited for a response.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Recent Posts
[February 10, 2022, 09:09:05 PM]

[February 10, 2022, 09:07:54 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:43 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:03:25 PM]

[July 30, 2021, 06:01:01 PM]

[February 12, 2021, 07:16:33 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:51 AM]

[December 13, 2020, 12:16:21 AM]